Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Paranoia is only heightened awareness - or so they say. In the small amount of time that I have been on this earth I have realised that most people, if not all, are really out to get you. And so, as a defence mechanism, paranoia was developed and is an aspect of human nature that is gleefully embraced by people like me. However, I find it shocking that people like Jarod and Miss Parker who GREW UP IN THE CENTRE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD can't even spot a conspiracy a mile away.
Poem used without permission from Jen Bakht from her fanfic called Jade. For some really excellent Mara Jade fanfic mail, mail her at JadedMara@aol.com

Zanna

zannamjs@yahoo.com




Conspiracy
part 11
by Zanna






Lost in a maze

Of memories

Twisting, screeching,

All around me.

Now I understand

the evil

that I

have wrought.



Foolish me.

A mere child,

Blind with power.



* ~ *



Broots had just made it to his terminal when the emergency lockdown was initiated. Chills came over him as he remembered the last time it had happened. It had been one the few times that Miss Parker had been shot and he had never forgotten how forlorn she had looked in that elevator. The scar had remained on Miss Parker's arm, but she had chosen to think of it as a reminder that everyone, if you give them enough time, was a traitor. She had been rather touchy after that incident for days.



Lyle was waiting for him and Broots wondered whether Lyle was the one who had initiated the lockdown.

"About time Mr. Broots." Lyle hissed.

"Sorry Sir."

"Just find that scumbag and get him put of the system."

"Yes Sir."

Broots detected Steven far too easily and tried to give him a warning *kick* but before he could start the action, Steven disappeared. A five seconds later Broots discovered him again and the same thing happened.

"Damn ! He's good." Broots muttered and he stopped holding back. It was almost as if Steven was challenging him. Pretty soon it was an outright war between Broots and Steven, seeing who could trap who and how fast they could follow the trapper.

All the while Lyle was pacing behind him, every once in a while looking over Broots' shoulder and just generally being very irritating.

"Mr. Lyle, um ... Sir. I can't work like this. Why don't you chill and see what's going on the lockdown ?"

"Chill ?! You want me to chill ? In case you haven't noticed Broots, this isn't a high school. That damn alarm isn't helping my headache, I'll be right back."

With a huff, Lyle exited the room, leaving behind Broots gleefully pursuing Steven.



***

Simlab 12



Mr. Parker glanced in horror at the now locked door in front of him and he definitely didn't like the look in his daughter's eye . Besides, he wasn't blind. Any idiot could see that Midea's head had been blown off at point blank range and the amount of bloody flesh where his knees and feet should have been told a completely different story than his daughter had told him.

"I'll ask again Daddy, why are you here ?" Miss Parker's voice grew even more colder , if it was possible.

"I told you Broots ..."

"Don't lie to me !"

Mr. Parker began to sweat and Jarod, watching from the shadows, had a hard time trying to contain himself. The son of a bitch who had made his and Andy's life a living hell was right in front of him and Jarod knew that he could kill the old man without a second thought. Jarod grinned. If Sydney knew his present state of mind he wouldn't have recognised him. Gone was the valiant, naive Jarod who thought that he could right the world's wrongs and in his place was the bitter, cynical Jarod who could kill without remorse.

He turned his attention back to Miss Parker and was surprised to see that during his introspection , Mr. Parker had backed against the door in fear and his daughter, his 'Angel', was pointing a gun at him.

"You know Daddy, there is only one thing that I more than being lied to. And that ..."

Mr. Parker gulped.

"... is being held for a fool. "

Jarod took this as his cue and held the chair for Mr. Parker.

"You look tired Mr. Parker, why don't you sit down ?"

"No, thank you. I'm fine."

"Oh, but I must insist. Besides, we are in the middle of a lockdown. Where would you go ? It might be a longtime before they let us out. "

"Yes Daddy. " Miss Parker spat out the word "Take a seat."

"If you insist ..."

"Oh, but we do."

Mr. Parker took one look at the gun still pointed at his chest and sat down. Miss Parker stood closer and lit up a cigarette. The alarms ominously quieted down.

"Would you like some coffee Daddy ?" Something in Miss Parker's eye warned him of the danger of saying no.

"White, 2 sugar. "

"How about you Jarod ?"

"I'd love some, thank you. " Jarod grinned. he knew exactly where she was going with this.

"In that case why don't you make sure our 'guest' is comfortable while I make the coffee."

"My pleasure."

Miss Parker gestured for him to come closer to her and with her gun still pointed at her father's chest, she kissed Jarod. Not the ol' peck on the cheek at family reunions kiss but the full-blown homemade porn-movie kind. The kiss and the offer of coffee did exactly what it was supposed to do. It threw Mr. Parker off track and broke down his mental barriers. her gun never wavering she broke the kiss and walked towards the coffee station.

A tense silence descended on the three people while they waited for the water to boil. Every couple of seconds, Mr. Parker glanced at the body of Midea and wondered what his employee had revealed to these mavericks. Mr. Parker knew why Jarod had been granted his request for a special team - it had been the only way that they could gather all the mavericks together and let them keep themselves under control. To Mr. Parker, mavericks were the most dangerous type of person at the Centre. They didn't follow procedure and threw themselves into their work with complete abandon, not caring about the effect on themselves or on those around them.

But these mavericks were the best that the Centre had and if they decided one morning that they wanted to have all Centre personnel dye their hair pink, so be it. Miss Parker placed the coffee in front of him and he carefully took the mug and sipped. Jarod and Miss Parker moved together, projecting an united front and Mr. Parker pitied anyone who stood against these two. Well, he was nothing but a survivor and he prepared himself for their worst.



***

Jarod's house



"Debbie, your father is an unappreciated man." Steven grinned and took another sip of cola from his mug. Jarod abhorred drinking out of cans and using polysterine containers for fast food and as a result, each member of the team had gotten a mug which they could decorate themselves. Jarod had a Calvin and Hobbs cartoon and Miss Parker a dainty ballerina.

"I know, but the important thing is that he knows that he is important to the Centre, so he's happy. Even Miss Parker knows his worth."

Silence for a couple of minutes, then

"Steven, I had a really great time Saturday."

"Yeah, me too."

"When all this is over, think we can do it again ?"

Steven stopped typing and looked at Debbie.

"More than anything."

Debbie grinned and lightly put her hand on Steven's shoulder. The computer beeped, indicating an incoming message.

"What now ?"

The message came up and Debbie quickly read it, before Steven could stop her.



HA! HA! GOTCHA! THINGS ARE STARTING TO GET HOT IN HERE, STAY AT HOUSE AND DON'T EVEN THINK OF USING MY VISA CARD FOR PIZZA.



B.



"So ...?"

"I think the shit just hit the fan."



***

Centre Parking Lot

Blue Cove, Delaware.



Incredible. What was the odds of coming back to the Centre to destroy their elite after leaving the Centre for the exact same reason ? Whitehead rechecked his Glock and made certain that he had at least three extra clips on his person. Unseen, he slipped into the lobby and looking like a man on a mission, stalked towards the elevators. With no change in expression , he walked over to the button for SL5 and made certain that no one would be joining him for the ride down.



***

Sublevel 5,

Simlab 12,

The Centre.



Like panthers they stalked towards him, patient yet ruthless. Jarod didn't pity the old man in front of him, in fact, he had to stop himself from strangling the bastard. Face composed, Mr. Parker put down the mug and looked expectantly at his would-be tormentors.



The bell from the elevator echoed down the hall. Mr. Parker smiled smugly. Company.

"Jarod." Miss Parker looked at Jarod and jerked her head towards her father. He nodded once and she moved towards the dark corner, gun in hand. Picking up her cue, Jarod taped Mr. Parker's mouth shut and shoved him in Miss Parker's direction. That done, he took out his gun and stood directly under the remaining light, causing his face to be scarred with shadows - unrecognizable. Standing absolutely still, his body humming with restrained energy and his gun at his side, he waited for the intruder to make his entrance.