Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Destiny

By: Gemini-M

Chapter 6


"No trumpets sound when the important decisions of our life are made. Destiny is made known silently." Agnes De Mille

Disclaimer: See Chapter 1

Author's Note: My Thanks for the wonderful reviews to: ICD, Brandy, michelle, Crazyrussiangal, mfkngst, and anyone else I might have forgotten. Your kind words mean a world to me. In addition, thank you to Jaccione for all her help, without her, this story would not be possible.

Mr. Raines' Office
8:20p.m.


"Lyle, what the hell is happening?" The wheezing old man took a deep sickly breath from his oxygen tank as the panic rose through his feeble body. "What is the meaning of those alarms? What is going on?" Raines stood from his desk and walked toward his son who had just entered the room.

"Dad, I don't know what's happening, but I'll find out." Lyle stated nervously while rubbing at his thumb less hand. He could feel the fear creeping up his body and it made the hairs on the back of his neck stand-up straight. This was not a good sign and only one person could get that kind of reaction out of him. He knew Jarod was responsible. As the feeling intensified, Jarod's words flooded his mind, "Nothing lasts forever." Lylegrowled at the thought and told himself, "I should have taken care of that Lab rat a long time ago. This time I won't fail."

Raines just looked at Lyle more irritated, "Lyle what are you mumbling?"

Lyle ignored his father's question and headed toward the glass doors. As he reached the glass doors, he was almost trampled by Willy entering the room in a panic. While gasping for air the tall dark man ran toward his boss and cried out, "MR. RAINES, THE AUTHORITIES ARE HERE AND THEY HAVE SEARCH AND ARREST WARRANTS." The dark man was ashen with fear. "MR. RAINES, THE SURVEILLANCE CAMERAS HAVE ALSO DETECTED JAROD AND SYDNEY IN THE MAIN LOBBY. WHAT SHOULD WE DO?"

"JAROD IS HERE!" Raines exclaimed with rage.

"That bastard, I knew he was behind this." Lyle said with clenched teeth.

"Lyle, you and Willy go get the boy and take him to SL-27. Once there, we will work our way out through the secret passages." Raines took another noisy drag from his oxygen. "I'll meet you both there."

"What should we do if we run into Jarod or Sydney?" Lyle asked with disgust.

"KILL THEM BOTH" Raines growled. "They have become a nuisance and they have outlived their usefulness...they have become more trouble than they're worth. NOW GO, HURRY!"

Immediately after Lyle and Willy left, Raines gathered all the Red files and DSAs from his safe and threw them angrily into his briefcase.
He was forced to run now, but he was not defeated yet. He would continue his Pretender project in Africa and this time nobody was going to stand in his way. He was not alone in this battle. Lyle, his true son, would be by his side to continue the legacy. Miss Parker, like her mother and father was too weak. It was time to eliminate all those who were weak and disloyal, like his ancestors had done. It was time to carry out the true Parker Legacy.


Inside the Centre

Once inside the Centre amongst the confusion, the three intruders managed to reach the stairs undetected by the authorities, and now they were on their way to the first sublevels. Jarod decided against using the elevators. He feared that the power would be turned off on the upper floors. Once they were below SL-5, they would make use of the elevators, since the remainder of the underground levels were maintained by a separate power supply. Jarod and Ethan moved with ease in their descent through the shadowy stairway while the older man struggled to keep up the pace of the two younger men.

When they reached SL-5, Jarod stopped and turned around to face the others. Ethan was right behind him but Sydney was panting heavily and still making his way down the stairs. Jarod took in the aged appearance of his mentor and felt guilty for putting him through this ordeal. He quickly turned around and helped Sydney the last few steps. The old man was exhausted and his face was covered with sweat. Jarod looked at Sydney with deep concern and asked, "Sydney are you alright?"

"Yes Jarod, I'm... fine. Just...a little... short-winded. I'm not a young man anymore." Sydney replied with a smile.

Jarod just nodded back at his mentor and proceeded to open the doors that lead to one of the halls in SL-5. Carefully, Jarod peeked through the narrow opening to check for sweepers, then he turned toward the others and said, "O.K. is clear, lets move quickly."

The halls were deserted, with the floors littered with files, books, smocks and even furniture. The placed looked like an abandoned war zone. Their footsteps were the only eerie sound echoing down the hall until the distinctly ding of the Tower elevator in front of them made them all freeze on the spot. Jarod looked at the others with panic as he realized who would be exiting this elevator. "MOVE, QUICK INTO THE LAB!" Jarod shoved Sydney and Ethan into the computer lab as he drew his weapon and closed the door with his body while sliding to the ground beneath the door's window. In the rush, Sydney tired legs gave up from under him and he went crashing to the floor. Ethan quickly helped the old man to his feet and they both hid behind a desk. "Are you alright doctor? Ethan asked with concern.

"Yes Ethan, I'm fine... just a little tired." The old man said panting.

From his position by the door, Jarod signalled the others to be quiet with a finger to his lips and a very serious glare.

Jarod slowly stood up and carefully watched from an angle through the small window as the elevator door opened and Lyle and Willy stepped out. Lyle stopped for a moment and spoke to Willy then he started walking towards the lab. Jarod felt his heart skip a beat and for an instant, he stopped breathing. Jarod tightened his grip around his gun and pressed his body against the wall. His whole body became tense as he readied himself to fight, but suddenly Willy stopped Lyle's advance and started to argue with him.

"Mr. Lyle I think we should get the kid like Mr. Raines asked. I'm sure the Technicians in charge erased all incriminating evidence from the mainframe as soon as the alarms when off." The tall dark man said nervously. "I don't know about you, but I don't want to make Mr. Raines mad, plus the main thing is to get this kid and get the hell out of this place pronto."

Lyle stood for a moment looking toward the lab and then said, "Alright, lets get that little brat, and I hope you're right." Lyle replied with disgust. "Where is the little genius anyway?"

"I think he is being kept in one of the cells in SL-19" Willy replied as he entered the elevator followed by Lyle.

As the elevators doors closed again, Jarod sighed relieved and signal the others to come out of hiding. "It was Lyle and Willy. They are headed for SL-19. We will go straight to SL-20 to check the Nursery and the Infirmary. Lets pray that Parker and the others have found the boy already."

Jarod exited the Lab very cautiously then signalled the others to follow closely toward the main elevators. All of the sudden Ethan stopped in the middle of the hall and let out a frightful scream while holding his head between his hands, as if in terrible pain.

Jarod and Sydney ran to the young man's side and helped him sit on the ground before he would collapse. Ethan was trembling, his face was covered with perspiration and he kept shouting in an incoherent manner, "No, no, must warn now...Danger...Have to leave now...Pain...Destiny very dark."

"Ethan what's wrong?" Jarod asked with deep concern. "Are you hurt?"

In a swift move, Ethan grabbed Jarod's jacket and pulled him down next to him, startling both men.

"JAROD YOU MUST GO BACK. THE VOICES, HER VOICE IS TELLING ME THAT YOU AND PARKER ARE IN DANGER." Ethan begged his brother with tears in his eyes. "JAROD PLEASE LISTEN. I'LL FIND PARKER AND THE BABY, I PROMISE. YOU HAVE TO GET OUT OF HERE NOW!"

Jarod looked at his brother and Sydney with shock and confusion. He could feel his brother's fear burning in the pit of his stomach, but he could not turn his back on the woman he loved and his own child. This time he was not going to listen to his inner sense or the prophecies. His family needed him and he was not going to run anymore. Nevertheless, this sensation of doom caused Jarod to remember something that Parker had said to him when they were returning from Carthis, just before she took that turning point in her life.
"Sorry, this isn't the different ending you were looking for. It's just the way the damn story goes." Was this a sign? Should he listen to this warning? No, this was Ethan's fears just being projected into his mind.

Jarod shook the thoughts from his mind, looked at Ethan in the eyes and voiced his frustration, "ETHAN, STOP THIS NONSENSE RIGHT NOW! I'M NOT LEAVING." Jarod took a deep breath to calm himself before he continued, "I can't let you and Sydney do this alone. Please understand if Parker is in danger, I can't turn around and run." He shot Sydney an icy glare, stopping the old man's protest. "MY DECISION IS FINAL. Lets go, we cannot waste anymore time." Jarod helped his brother to his feet and together they helped a wavering Ethan to the elevators.

"Jarod maybe you should listen to your brother. You know he is gifted like his mother was." Sydney tried to persuade Jarod. "He would not warn you like this unless he really felt you were in danger. Jarod I don't want to see you hurt. Please listen for once."

"I'm sorry Sydney, but I cannot leave Parker and my son behind." Jarod turned away from his mentor and proceeded with Ethan into the elevator. Sydney followed them with a look of resignation and fear.

The ride to SL-20 was in silence, but the tension was palpable. When they reached SL-20, Jarod drew his gun and waited ready for the elevator doors to open. In an instant, all of their senses were assaulted by the chaos. The emergency flashing lights looked like flames coming from the walls, while the deafening buzzing of the alarms made them all cover their ears to lessen the discomfort. The halls were like a ghost town. However, one could still hear sporadic screams of pain from the poor souls that were locked away in the dark abyss that was The Centre.

Jarod was the first one to step out of the elevator. He looked around and signalled the others to leave the safety of the elevator. "Sydney, Ethan it's clear. Come on."

Looking at his mentor for approval, Jarod explained, "Sydney we can cover more ground if you and Ethan go check the Infirmary while I go to the Nursery." Jarod shouted at the two men while pointing the direction they were to take.

"Jarod, I think it will be safer if we stay together." Sydney protested while Ethan nodded his agreement.

"But it will take us longer to locate Parker and the others, and we don't have much time." Jarod argued back. "Lyle and Willy might be heading this way. Time is not a luxury at the moment."

"I don't like this." Sydney frowned.

"We will meet back here in 5 minutes if we don't find them. Now go." Jarod ordered while trying to remain calm.

Before going their separate ways, Sydney grabbed Jarod's arm and looked at him with concern, "Please be careful son."

Jarod smiled back at Sydney and said, "I will. You be careful too. I'll see you soon." Jarod then took off running down a long hall toward the Nursery before Sydney was able to reply.

Sydney looked at Jarod's disappearing silhouette down the shadowy hall as his mind was swarmed with turbulent thoughts.
This idea didn't feel right. There was so much that he wanted to tell Jarod, and he felt he was running out of time. He had a lifetime of suppressed emotions and secrets that he had kept from him. Would he have the chance to tell him before it was too late? The fear he felt for Jarod cut deep into his soul. Once again he had failed to stop him from putting himself in danger. Would this be the last time he saw Jarod? Sydney reprimanded himself for having these thoughts. He had to think positively. He closed his eyes and said a silent prayer for Jarod, Parker and the others. These young people were his family and he would do anything to protect them, even if it meant giving his life.

As Jarod turned the corner that lead to the Nursery, he skidded to a complete stop surprised at the sight before him. In the distance, he saw two men and a woman exiting the Nursery and moving toward the elevators. It was Parker, Angelo and Broots holding a small boy in his arms. Jarod sighed with relief and called to them.

"Parker wait."

Even in the middle of all the commotion from the alarms and flashing lights, Parker felt Jarod's presence before she heard his voice. Immediately, Parker turned around and ran towards Jarod. With tears glistening in her eyes, Parker wrapped her arms around Jarod's waist as if holding on for dear life. She leaned her face against his chest and allowed her emotions to take over.

"Jarod, I've missed you so much." Parker said as a sob tore from her throat. "I can't believe that you're here."

Jarod grasped her chin between his fingers tenderly and lifted her face to place a soft kiss on her lips before saying, "I've missed you too. I was going crazy without you."

They both hugged each other for a few moments forgetting about the chaos around them. Then suddenly, Parker pushed Jarod away and frowned, "And what the hell are you doing here? Are you crazy? You were supposed to wait for us at Sydney's."

"And let you have all the fun" Jarod replied with one of his famous grins, as he reached and touched her cheek with his fingertips. "Parker, you know I can't stay away from you for too long."

Parker just smiled back and hugged her husband once more.

Jarod looked toward the Nursery doors, where Broots was standing with the child and smiled at Parker, "So that's our son?" He smiled at the boy as he draped his arm around Parker's shoulder. "Is he alright?" Jarod could feel the tears welling in his eyes as he looked at his son.

Unable to control her emotions, Parker wiped the tears from her face as she looked toward her son in Broots' arm. "Yes, he is fine. Jarod he is so beautiful and very smart for his age." She glowed with pride. "I still can't believe it, we have a son."

Jarod then directed his attention back to Parker and placed a hand on her stomach. "Why didn't you tell me the last time we spoke?"

"I'm sorry Jarod, I wanted to but..." Jarod interrupted her explanation by kissing her once again. When they parted, he smiled at her and said, "You have made me the happiest man in the world Parker. I love you so much and always will."

Broots, who was standing at the entrance of the Nursery holding the little boy, looked at the couple, coughed and said nervously, "Hey guys, Ah...I hate to break the moment, b...but we better get out of here before the authorities arrive. Don't you think?"

Just as the words left Broots' mouth, two dark figures turned the corner at the end of the hall. Miss Parker felt the tension in Jarod's body even before she was aware of the approaching men. Alarmed with his reaction, she turned around and saw Lyle and Willy standing about fifteen feet away with their guns drawn. Angelo, who had remained hidden behind Broots and the little boy, immediately pulled a half frozen techie back into the safety of the Nursery, before they were detected by Lyle and Willy.

Jarod instinctively stood in front of Parker to shield her from Lyle and Willy. Without taking his eyes off the two men, Jarod slowly retrieved his gun from his belt in the back and moved a few inches towards the Nursery doors. He could feel the rage creeping up his body like a wild fire, but he needed to stay calm and think of a way out of this situation with Parker unharmed. He had to protect his family at all cost.

Lyle was enjoying the look of panic in the Pretender's face. Finally he was going to exterminate the Lab rat, but first he would take pleasure in hurting those who where so precious to him, his family.

"Well well, look what we got here." Lyle smiled maliciously at the Pretender and Parker as he barked loudly, "Willy, I think I've hit the Lotto."

"Yes you have, Mr. Lyle." Willy replied with a sinister smile. "Mr. Raines is going to be overjoyed."

Jarod glanced at Parker and gave her a reassuring smile. They didn't need words. They could read each other thoughts. They always have had that connection since they were children and now it was stronger because of their trust and love. Parker knew that Jarod was thinking of a way out and that gave her strength, but something was very wrong. Her mother's voice started to warn her, but the sirens and flashing lights made it impossible for her to understand the message. Nevertheless, her inner sense was suddenly assaulted with feelings of pain and despair, which made her shiver and frighten her to the core.
"No, no everything is going to be fine. Jarod and I will get out of these safely. Our children are depending on us. We cannot let them down now." Parker told herself repeatedly as she looked at Jarod standing firmly in front of her.

While hiding behind Jarod, Miss Parker slowly drew her gun from her holster and removed the safety. Parker grabbed Jarod's arm and squeezed it to let him know she was ready for anything. She was not going to let him battle these two bastards alone. She could feel all her suppressed anger coming to life. It was time to make Lyle pay for all the atrocities he had done to them and many others.

"Sis, I didn't know about this little alliance between you and the Lab rat." Lyle smirked. "You must tell me all about it later, after we put Jarod back where he belongs."

"LYLE, GO TO HELL!" Miss Parker shot him a venomous glare. "JAROD AND I ARE NOT GOING ANYWHERE WITH YOU."

"Lyle let Miss Parker go. This is between you and me." Jarod said with spite.

"Well... you see Jarod, I can't do that. I have orders and they must be followed." Lyle smiled wickedly.

"Lyle, it's over. I told you this once. Nothing lasts forever." Jarod replied coldly.

Jarod could instantly see the effects those words had on Lyle. As the man's face became dark and he stared back at him with contemptuous hate. Jarod always known that this day would come. Lyle had destroyed too many lives. He had killed his brother in cold blood, had tried to kill his sister and now was responsible for his mother's death. He would not let him hurt anyone else. Lyle's reign of terror had to end here.


Infirmary Wing

Sydney and Ethan had been running through all the rooms in the Infirmary searching for Miss Parker and the others, but so far, they had come empty-handed.

The place was barren. All the medical staff had vanished and the only signs of life left behind were the patients in vegetated state, attached to the life support machines that prolonged their hellish existence. Sydney and Ethan looked at the scene before them in horror, but they could not help these poor souls now. They could only hope that the authorities would arrive at these lower levels and rescue the ones that had survived this nightmare. Right now, their main concern was to find Parker and the others and leave this place.

All of the sudden, Ethan stood petrified and gazed around the room with horror written all over his face.

"Ethan, what's wrong" Sydney asked alarmed.

"Something is very wrong." Ethan replied gasping for air. "My m...mother's voice. Ah...I have never heart it this...strong. Is...like...she is screaming to...me to...stop something horrible that is about to happen." Ethan looked at Sydney trembling as the message became clearer. "OH MY GOD, NO! JAROD AND PARKER! THEY ARE GOING..."

Sydney grabbed the stunned young man by the arm and dragged him out of the Infirmary before he could finish the thought. "HURRY ETHAN, WE MUST FIND THEM NOW!"

Sydney and Ethan rushed down the hall that lead back to the Nursery. Sydney checked his weapon as he ran behind Ethan and prayed that they would reach Jarod and Parker in time to stop what had terrified Ethan in his vision. His aching muscles protested with every step and his heart was beating so fast it felt as if it was going to explode, but the fear and the adrenalin rushing through his veins pushed him forward faster. Even though, his mind ignored the screams of his tired muscles, it could not block out the freighting thoughts.
If anything happens to Jarod or Parker, he would never forgive himself. A lifetime ago, he had promised Catherine that he would always protect them. She had made the ultimate sacrifice for the children and he was not going to let her down.

As they were about to reach the last corridor that would take them back to the Nursery, both Ethan and Sydney stopped abruptly as the elevator door opened in front of them and they came face to face with a very agitated sweeper with his gun drawn.

"What the hell are you doing here doctor?" Asked Sam very confused.

"Oh my God Sam, Am I glad to see you." Sydney said while gasping for air.

"Doctor you still have not answered my question. What are you doing here?" Sam looked at Sydney's companion with suspicion, "And who is this guy with you?"

"Sam please listen carefully, Miss Parker is in trouble." Sydney pleaded, "We were on our way to help them." The old man took in a deep breath before continuing. "This is Ethan, Miss Parker's brother."

"You said help them. Who else is here with Miss Parker?" Sam shot them a wary glance.

"Sam we don't have much time. Miss Parker came here to rescue her son with Jarod and Broots."

"JAROD?" Sam exclaimed, "What is Jarod doing here helping Miss Parker? She is supposed to catch him. They're rivals."

"Not anymore Sam." Sydney approached the confused sweeper and started at him boldly. "That little boy in the Nursery, Baby Parker, is their son and they are here to rescue him."

"What? But...but we have orders to shoot Jarod and you on sight." Sam said stunned.

"Who gave those orders?" Sydney asked with anger in his voice.

"Raines"

"That bastard." Sydney replied with disgust. "So Sam what are you going to do? Are you going to help us or kill us all?"

"Doctor I was not planning to shoot you, but Jarod is a different story." Sam tried to explain.

"Well Sam, if you are planning to kill Jarod then you will have to kill Miss Parker as well, because if you hurt Jarod, you are as good as dead."

Sam looked at Sydney and Ethan carefully while he absorbed the information he had just learned. Then he lowered his weapon and said, "I would never hurt Miss Parker doctor...or the people she cares about."

"Thank you Sam" Sydney patted the large man's back. "I knew we could count on you to help us. Now we better hurry and find them, because Ethan sensed that they were in trouble."

"Yes, they might already be." Sam swallowed hard. "Mr. Lyle and Willy were headed towards the Nursery the last time I saw them."

"OH NO! LETS GO, WE MUST HURRY!" Sydney cried out in panic.

Instantly, the three men started the race back to the Nursery. They could only hope that they would reach Miss Parker and Jarod in time to stop a tragedy.

TBC