Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Destiny

By: Gemini-M

Chapter 3


"Your Destiny is not always the one you seek, but always the one that finds you" Unknown.

Disclaimer: See Chapter 1

Author's Note: Thanks to Brady, ICD, Joy and KatieQ for your wonderful reviews. Hope you like the rest of my story.

Saint James Hospital
Butte, Montana 8:30p.m.


Mr. Lyle gave Emily a predatory look that made her whole body shiver. Here in front of her stood the cold-blooded murderer that had killed her brother, Kyle and almost succeeded in killing her. She had to use every once of self-control not to go for his throat and squeeze the life out of this monster. Lyle looked at the doctor's order once more and then stared icily at Emily saying, "I haven't seen you on this floor before, What's your name?"

Emily took a deep breath, raised her head high and said, "My name is Nancy Williams and I'm a replacement nurse for one of the ICU nurses that called in sick today. Look, I'm on a very tight schedule and I don't have the time to socialize or discuss our nurse backup schedule. So if you don't mind I would like to take care of this patient and get my job done." With that said, she pushed pass Lyle and went into the room before he had a chance to block her entrance.

Once inside the room, Emily quickly surveyed her surroundings and took notice of the two sweepers guarding her mother. The room was darkened with only the dim light of the heart monitor, which faintly outlined the still figure on the bed. Emily stood by the door frozen, overwhelmed by the onrush of emotions. "What was her mother's condition? Was she still alive or were these sick bastards just guarding a corpse to lure Jarod into another trap?" She wanted to run to her mother, hug and kiss her, and tell her that her family was here to take her home and that finally she was going to see Jarod. It took Emily all her remaining strength to control her emotions and slowly approach the bed to start taking her vitals. Margaret felt cold to the touch and her pulse was very weak. She looked so fragile. Emily slowly walked to the foot of the bed and proceeded to read her chart. Margaret had suffered a stroke two days ago, like Jarod had told them, and her condition had remained the same, stable but critical.

At the sound of voices coming from the door, Emily turned around and saw Mr. Lyle entering the room, followed by her father pushing a gurney. Major Charles looked at Emily and greeted her in Italian, "Buona sera, Signorina Williams, is the lady ready for her test?"

Emily looked at her father dumbfounded and had to turn her face to hide the smile that started to appear on her lips. He never ceased to amaze her with his mischievous nature and incredible wit, a trait that her brother Jarod had also inherited.

"Yes Tony, the patient is ready. Please place the gurney next to the bed and maybe one of these nice gentlemen can help us transfer her to the gurney? I'll attach her to the portable monitor."

Lyle turned to one of the sweepers and ordered him, "Steve, Help the nurse, and accompany them to the Scan test. Stay with them for the duration of the test, UNDERSTOOD?"

"YES SIR", the sweeper answered and quickly moved to help Emily and Major Charles.

Once Margaret was placed on the gurney, Major Charles guided the gurney to the elevator, closely followed by Emily and the sweeper Lyle had assigned to accompany them. Major Charles knew that he had to think of something fast to get rid of this guy before they reached the CAT scan department and their cover would be blown. Once inside the elevators, Major Charles moved away from the gurney and bent down to tie his shoes. Emily took notice of her father's scheme and distracted the sweeper by dropping the patient's records at his feet. When the sweeper bent down to help Emily pick up the papers, Major Charles pulled out the gun he had hidden in his sock and in one swift move hit the sweeper over the head, knocking him unconscious.

Leaving the sweeper tied up and locked in a closet, they quickly exited the hospital through the Emergency department. Once outside, Major Charles directed Emily to an awaiting ambulance. As they were pushing the gurney with Margaret inside the ambulance, a menacing voice called from behind them, "STOP RIGHT THERE! ONE MOVE AND YOU'RE BOTH DEAD. MOVE AWAY FROM THE AMBULANCE."

Major Charles and Emily turned around slowly with their hands raised. They could not believe what was happening. They were so close. How can they have missed this guy when they arrived? They slowly moved away from the ambulance door and faced their aggressor.

Willy looked at Major Charles with amusement then reached over and pulled Emily's wig off. With an evil grin he mocked them, "Well, well, this a nice surprise? Mr. Lyle is going to be very pleased to see you both again."

Emily gave him a menacing gaze and swore, "YOU BASTARD, first you made my bother's life a living hell, and now you're trying to kill our mother. WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM US?"

Willy just smiled sinisterly at Emily and proceeded with his call to Mr. Lyle, "Mr. Lyle, I have a surprise for you. Guess who I just apprehended trying to...." Willy's call came to a sudden end. His eyes rolled back in their sockets and he dropped like a sack of potatoes in front of a stunned Emily and Major Charles.

When they both looked up again, Jarod appeared from behind the ambulance with a big smile, "Hi, did you guys miss me?" Emily and Major Charles were speechless for a moment, then they both rushed forward and gathered Jarod in a warm embrace, "My God Jarod, what are you doing here? Well, I'm glad you're here." Major Charles exclaimed as he hugged Jarod once more. Emily hugged and kissed her brother repeatedly, while tears ran down her face. "Jarod, I can't believe it. You're here! I missed you so much."

As he was hugging his sister, Jarod heard a faint voice coming from the cell phone Willy had dropped. Jarod picked up the phone and listened. A big grin appeared on his face as he heard Lyle's threatening barks calling Willy. "Well hello Lyle, sorry Willy is taking a little nap at the moment." With that said, Jarod disconnected the call while Lyle cursed in the background.

Jarod turned to both of them and said seriously, "Dad, Emily, we better get going before Lyle and company arrives. Dad, how is Mom?" Jarod noticed the sadness on both their faces at the mention of his mother. "Dad, What's wrong? Is Mom OK?"

Major Charles felt like he was suffocating. He blinked back the tears in his eyes and grabbed a hold of Jarod's arms. While looking at his son's eyes he prayed for strength, "Son, I don't know how to tell you this..... Your mother is in critical condition and I don't think she's going to make it"

"No, No Dad, she is going to be fine." Jarod didn't want to listen to what his father was trying to tell him. He broke his father's hold and moved toward the entrance of the ambulance, "Dad you drive, Emily, you come with me. Lets Go."

Major Charles followed his orders and got behind the wheel immediately, while Emily followed her brother and climbed on the back of the ambulance. The drive to St. John's Church was silent. Jarod only spoke to his father to give him directions. He sat by his mother holding her hand and checking her vitals every few minutes. He could not believe that she was there with him. She was so beautiful, despite her weakened condition. Jarod kept telling his mother, "You're going to be alright Mom. You promised me in your letter, remember? Please Mom wake-up. Look, finally we're all together as a family." During the whole trip, Jarod avoided looking at Emily for fear that she would confirm what his father had said earlier. He was not going to give up on her now.

It was 9:30pm when they finally arrived at St. John's Church. Father Moore was overjoyed with their arrival and the opportunity to help Catherine's friends again. He quickly directed the family of refugees to a private section of the church and sent for a doctor. Gemini was still upset for being left behind with the priest, but when he saw Jarod and the others, his anger just vanished. Gemini was ecstatic to see Jarod again, and to meet his new mom. Finally, he would have a real mom. He was hoping that they would share the same feelings, but the look on their faces told him this was a bittersweet reunion. Gemini approached Jarod and asked him timidly, "Hi Jarod, do you remember me?" Jarod grasped the younger man's hand and pulled him into a warm hug. "Of course I remember you." As they pulled apart, Jarod said, "I'm sorry, but Dad didn't tell me what they call you now." Gemini looked at Jarod and said excitedly, "I picked the name, Jareth, but everyone calls me Jaar. It's similar to yours and since we are so alike. I hope you don't mind?" Jarod looked at the young man and smiled, remembering that Miss Parker often used that same nickname for him. "No I don't mind. It's a fine name."

As Jarod was about to tell his brother about their mother's condition, Father Moore entered the room accompanied by an older gentlemen. "Major Charles, Jarod, Emily, this is Dr. Anderson, he's a very good doctor and friend. He's here to see Mrs. Russell." They all greeted Dr. Anderson and directed him to the room where Margaret was resting.

After the doctor had examined Margaret and reviewed the medical records Emily had brought from the hospital, he called the family to the kitchen area to explain his diagnosis.

The doctor sat at the table and looked sympathetically at the concerned family, "Major Charles, Jarod, Emily, after I reviewed the medical records you brought and examined Mrs. Russell, I concluded that she suffered a Hemorrhagic Stroke. It appears that the doctors detected an aneurysm a few weeks back, but she received no treatment for her condition and finally the weakened blood vessel ruptured. She had slipped into a coma due to the increased intracranial pressure. Surgery is no longer an option at this stage. Nothing we can do now. Her condition is terminal. I'm sorry."

They all sat stunned. Emily's eyes shimmered with unshed tears. She gazed at Jarod and her father with desperation. "Dad, Jarod what are we going to do now? We can't let her die?" Jarod fell like his throat was on fire and he could feel the tears threatening to fall. With all his medical knowledge, he knew that the doctor was correct in his diagnosis. There was no hope at this point. His Mom was going to die. He looked at Emily and said with sadness in his voice, "I don't know Em."

Major Charles was shattered. This was not happening. They were finally together as a family and now they were going to lose her. It was just not fair. Major Charles looked at the doctor and whispered, unable to raise his voice any louder, "Dr. Anderson, how much longer does she have?"

"Major, I really can't say, maybe hours. I'm really sorry"

Jarod looked at the doctor and asked almost inaudibly, "Doctor, is she in any pain?"

"Jarod according to her last tests at the hospital she slipped into a coma shortly after her stroke. I don't think she feels any pain at the moment."

Jarod just nodded his thanks to the doctor stood and walked to the door where Jareth had been standing during the whole meeting. He approaches the young man and asked, "Are you OK?"

Jareth looked at Jarod with tears in his eyes and said, "This is not fair Jarod. You've been looking for her for so long and I wanted to meet her so badly, and now she's....." A sob tore from his throat as he moved toward Jarod, who enveloped the young man in a hug while he sobbed uncontrollably. At first, Jarod was surprised at his brother's reaction, but he quickly understood Jareth needed to have a real family, to have a mom. The same need he had felt during his years of imprisonment at The Centre. Both had been deprived the love of a mother and that scar would never heal.

After the doctor had left, Emily took a deep breath, wiped her tears and approached her bothers, "Jarod, I think is time for our little brother to meet Mom, what you think?"

"I think it's a very good idea Em, and I think Mom would love to meet him as well." Jarod replied with a small smile, but his eyes could not hide the pain that was tearing him apart.

The family marched to Margaret's room and entered quietly. Father Moore sat praying faithfully for his old friend. He stood up gingerly from his chair and faced the grieving family. "She's resting peacefully. I'll leave you all to say your goodbyes. If you need anything, please let me know."

Major Charles and Jarod nodded their thanks to the priest and moved next to the bed. Emily stood by the door with her arm draped over her younger brother's shoulder. The young man was desperately trying to control his emotions, but he could not stop the flow of tears.

Major Charles sat at the edge of the bed and leaned forward to place a gentle kiss on Margaret's forehead. He looked at his wife lovingly with tear filled eyes and said, "Margaret, I know you can hear me. We are here with you. Margaret, Jarod is here also. We are a family again." Major Charles looked toward Jarod, who was standing at the foot of the bed. Jarod stood frozen, looking at his mother. He glanced at his father with deep sadness. Major Charles knew that Jarod needed his time alone with his mother, and he was going to grant him that later. Major Charles then looked at Emily and Jareth and motioned them to approach the bed. "Margaret, we have someone here who wants to meet you." When Emily and Jareth were next to the bed, Major Charles stood and placed an arm over the boy's shoulder, "This is Jareth. He is our son also. He is Jarod's.... It's complicated. I will explain later. The important thing is that he's part of our family and wanted to meet you for a very long time."

Jareth took a deep breath and sat on the edge of the bed. He looked at Margaret tenderly and captured her hand. He held it gently as if it was made of glass. With new tears making a trail down his face he said, "Hi Mom, you don't know me, but I've always dreamed of having a mom like you. Emily and dad have told me so much about you, I feel like I already know you. I hope that you'll wake up soon and we can be a real family. Jarod is also here." Jareth looked toward his older brother, who gave him a sad smile, but remained motionless at the foot of the bed. "Mom please get well soon. We need you. I...I love you." Unable to control his emotions any longer, Jareth sprang from the bed and ran out of the room crying. Emily wanted to follow the young man and comfort him, but emotionally she could not handle it right now.

Jarod looked at his father and Emily and said, "I'll be right back" leaving the room to check on his younger brother.

It was 11:30pm when Major Charles and Emily finally exited Margaret's room. Jarod was sitting at the kitchen table with Jareth. They were both drinking hot chocolate and talking quietly. The boy was calmed and more in control of his emotions.

Major Charles approached his sons, placed a hand on Jarod's shoulder and said, "Son, I think you should go see your Mom now."

Jarod looked at his father and then at the cup of hot chocolate he was holding. He could not move. He didn't want to do this. He felt as if by delaying his farewell he could change the inevitable. His father sighed and called his name again, "Son, it's time."

Without looking at his father, Jarod slowly rose from his chair and walked to the bedroom. He entered the room and closed the door behind him. The room was in total darkness except for the moonlight flowing through the window. Jarod stood in awe admiring how the beams of moonlight illuminated his Mom's face. She looked so peaceful. Her lips curved into a small smile, and her fair complexion glowed against her red hair with strands of silver. She looked like a porcelain doll.

Still shaken by the image of his mother, Jarod approached the bed slowly and sat at the edge. He looked at her for a few more minutes before reaching out to gather her hand in his. "Hi Mom... I'm back. Mom... I know you can hear me. I never gave up searching for you. I know that you were searching too. I found your letter; the one you left for me at Ocee's. Mom, why didn't you seek medical attention earlier? I know it's hard when you're on the run, but you should have taken care of yourself. You should have listened to your heart. You needed help and we need you here with us now. You promised me you would never give up." He stopped for a moment and looked toward the moonlight, blinking the tears that blurred his vision. "I'm sorry... I didn't mean to get mad at you, but it just not fair. Now that we are finally together you are going to.... leave us." He choked on his words. This pain was consuming him.

Jarod wiped his tears, took a deep breath and swallowed hard trying to get his emotions under control before continuing. He looked at his Mom lovingly and said, "I guess I should tell you a little about my life. Well, mainly about the last six years since I escaped The Centre." Jarod spoke quietly to his mother while caressing her hand. He explained the unique origin of his new brothers, Ethan and Jareth. He told her stories about the different people he had met and helped, and all the people that had helped him while he was on the outside. He spoke about his friends, Broots and Angelo; how they secretly helped him over the years. Lowering his head, as if embarrassed, Jarod also spoke about his mentor Sydney, and their father-son relationship which sometimes made him feel guilty because he didn't share that kind of sentiment with his own father. Finally, he spoke about the love of his life, Miss Parker. How they had found each other again, and all the plans they were making to share a life together free of The Centre. Excitedly, he told his mother how they were following Catherine's Plan and within days they were going to abolish The Centre forever. Wishing for time to stand still, Jarod continued to talk to his Mom onto the early hours of the new day.

Just before daybreak, Major Charles entered the bedroom and found Jarod sound asleep. He was kneeling on the side of the bed with his head resting on his mom's chest. He had one arm draped over his mom's waist while his other hand still held her hand. He had fallen asleep hugging his mom. He needed his mother's hugs. All the hugs that were stolen from him since childhood.

Major Charles' heart ached as he looked at the scene before him. He had to fight to control the tears from falling again. He knew that Margaret's death was going to shatter Jarod emotionally. Jarod had suffered the most. First, taken away from his mother when he was only four years old, and now after more than thirty years, he finds her only to see her die. Life could not be any more cruel to him. He prayed for strength to help his son. That was all he could do now.

As Major Charles approached the bed, Emily and Jareth entered the room quietly and stared at Jarod and their Mom. Emily's eyes filled with new tears and her lips trembled as she asked her father, "Dad how is Mom?"

"I don't know Emily. First, let's wake-up Jarod."

Major Charles gently shook Jarod's shoulder and said, "Jarod, son wake-up. It's almost daybreak. You've been here all night. You should get some rest."

Jarod woke with a start and gasped. He moved away from his father's touch and sat on the floor. For a moment he looked disoriented, but when he saw his Mom on the bed and the faces of the others; the events of the last 24 hours came rushing back to him. He sighed and said with sadness in his voice, "I thought it was just a bad dream."

Emily kneeled next to her brother and placing a hand on his knee she said, "Jarod come on you need to eat something and get some rest."

Jarod sprang to his feet and sat on the bed next to his Mom once again, "No, I'm fine. I don't want to leave Mom."

"Jarod, you should listen to your sister and at least get something to eat." His father insisted. "Son, you need to take care of yourself."

Jarod looked at his Mom and then at his father, "OK Dad, I'll go get some coffee, but please call me if there is any change."

"OK son. Don't worry. Your brother and I will be here with your Mom." He gave Jarod a reassuring smile just before he exited the bedroom.

Emily quickly prepared some breakfast for her brother, but Jarod refused to eat anything. Jarod only drank some coffee and rushed back to his mother's side. Food was not what his body needed now. He needed to be with his mother. He wanted to feel her warmth and presence, even if it was for a few more hours. He needed to make up for all those lost years and he could not waste a single moment.

As the dawn of a new day arrived, the family gathered by Margaret's bedside awaiting the unavoidable. Emily and the younger brother sat together on a small couch near the bed holding each other's hand in an effort to comfort each other. Major Charles sat at the head of the bed next to his wife. He stroked her hair with care while reminiscing about the wonderful years they spend together. Jarod had taken his place next to his Mom, placing soft kisses in her hand from time to time. As the first rays of light began to enter the bedroom, Jarod felt his mother's body stir slightly and her breathing became shallow. He quickly grabbed both her hands and leaned closer to her exclaiming, "Mom, can you hear me? We are all here with you. Mom, please open your eyes. You can't leave us now. Please Mom we need you." At Jarod's sudden panic, the family moved next to him hoping to witness a miracle. However, destiny was cruel and merciless. Margaret stirred slightly once more and after another shallow breath, she was gone.


Sacred Heart Memorial Park
Dry River, Arizona. 9:00a.m.

It was a beautiful summer morning. The sun was shinning and its early warmth promised the beginning of another brilliant day. However, for Russell family it was a dark day. A day they would never forget. Today they had buried the person that had kept them fighting to survive all these years. The family gathered in a small hill under a huge Weeping willow. Tear streaked faces stared with anguish at the two tombstones, as they listened to Father Moore's farewell prayers. Within twenty four hours after Margaret's death the family with Father Moore's help, had made all the necessary arrangements for her immediate burial next to her son, Kyle. Jarod and Major Charles knew that Margaret wanted it that way. To rest next to the son she had lost so many years ago. After the short burial service, the family started walking back to their car. Jarod remained behind standing by his mother's grave. He looked up to the sky and closed his eyes. The breeze blowing through the leaves of the willow were like a whisper. He could almost feel his mother's presence caressing his face. With tears cascading down his face, Jarod kneeled in front of her tombstone and traced her engraved name with his fingers. As a final gift to his mother, he laid a white rose on her tombstone and placed a kiss with his fingers over her name. He choked on a sob as he tried to speak, "Mom, I will never forget you. You will always be with me here." Jarod placed a hand over his heart as he made this promise to his mother. "Until we meet again. I love you Mom."

Jarod stood slowly wiped his tears and walked toward his awaiting family. When he reached the car his father turned toward him and gave him a hug saying, "Are you OK son?" Jarod faced his father and said in a very controlled voice, "Yes Dad I'll be fine someday. Now is time to end the nightmare that has caused us so much pain. You, Emily and Jareth will fly back to Canada today while I'll go back to Delaware. When this is over my friends, Parker and I will meet you back in Canada." Jarod took one last look toward the hill where his mother and brother rested and said, " Mom, Kyle, this is for the both of you. Very soon The Centre will cease to exist forever." He turned around, open his cell phone and dialed Parker's number. It was time to end the game.

TBC

If you thought this chapter was sad, you had better get more Kleenex ready because the remaining of the story is going to tear your little hearts out. I am looking forward to your reviews. Enjoy and Thanks.