Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Miss Parker’s House
Blue Cove, Delaware
August 3, 1999
7:30 p.m.

Miss Parker had just gotten settled on her couch after work when she heard a knock on her door. She was not expecting anyone. Grabbing her gun, she went to the door. Looking through the peephole, she could see a girl of about 20 years she did not recognize standing on the other side of the door.

Opening the door just enough to stick her head out, she firmly informed the girl, “What ever it is, I’m not buying," then soundly shut the door.

Miss Parker had not had a chance to step away from the door when a nock came again. This time, after she put her gun in her back holster, she swiftly swung the door wide open and blasted a less than welcoming greeting the girl.

“WHAT?"

The girl grinned slightly at the greeting and simply asked, “Miss Parker?"

“Who wants to know?" She studied the girl, wondering if she should know her.

“My name is Holly Silver. I worked with Jarod a couple of years ago and…."

“Jarod?!" Miss Parker narrowed her eyes. “You know where he is?"

Holly sighed heavily. “I was hoping you would."

Miss Parker pushed air out of her nose in a silent laugh. “Now, why on earth would I know where Jarod is?"

“He still calls you, doesn’t he?" Panic was seeping into Holly’s voice.

“He told you that?" Miss Parker could not understand why Jarod would confide so much in anyone. She could easily use this girl to get him.

“He said that’s why you don’t like him anymore," Holly was unsure of whether she should be telling this bitter woman anything about Jarod. It didn’t help when Miss Parker laughed at what she had said.

“Is that so?" She shook her head. “There’s a lot he didn’t tell you, I imagine. How did you find me?" She was curious.

“Jarod gave me you address."

“He WHAT!?" Why was Jarod sending this girl to bother her?

“Um, I think I will just go," Holly began to back away. Before she knew it, Miss Parker leaned out and grabbed her, dragging her into the house. Miss Parker pushed Holly past the entrance and slammed the door behind, locking it.

Holly immediately turned around. She didn’t think it wise to have her back to this woman. Why had she not brought her gun with her? Holly regretted her decision to leave her gun in the car.

“What…?" Holly began to question, but was interrupted.

“No. I ask the questions. You are going to tell me all you know about me, about Jarod, and anything else I want to know or he told you."

Apparently Jarod was right. This woman did not seem to care about him in a friendly way. Why then, was she so interested in hearing about him?

“I don’t have to tell you anything." Holly stated defiantly, tempted to take her badge out and stick it in Miss Parker’s face. Her statement was only challenged with a glare that could kill. “All right," Holly gave in. “What exactly do you want to know?"

“First, I want to know where you met Jarod."

“Like I said, we worked together."

“Doing what?"

“We were looking for someone."

“You with missing persons?"

“Yeah." Holly felt better with this lie than informing Miss Parker of the truth. “Can we sit down?" She figured she’d be talking for awhile and at least wanted to be comfortable. Miss Parker motioned to the dining table. Holly took a seat gladly, but Miss Parker remained standing.

“And?"

“And when we found who we were looking for, Jarod took off."

Miss Parker nodded her head knowingly. “Where was this?"

“Kansas City."

Miss Parker searched her memory. Two years ago- they never went to Kansas City in search of Jarod. Just how many pretends did he slip by without them knowing? “Now about me," she ordered Holly to go on.

“Um, we were just talking once, in the car. He told me that you thought him mean for calling you at late hours. You know, that’s the only time he gets a chance to call," Holly wanted to make sure Miss Parker knew the reason, though why Jarod would call her was beyond Holly’s reasoning.

Miss Parker nodded her head. “Yeah, I know. That’s the only reason why he’s still alive." Miss Parker knew she could say that without the girl getting suspicious.

“That’s EXACTLY what Jarod said," Holly smiled. She could have sworn a smile broke Miss Parker’s face as well. If one had, it was gone as quickly as it came.

“Go on."

“Well, I asked if you two had dated…."

“HA!" Miss Parker’s laugh was harsh at this suggestion.

“Yeah, he had basically the same reaction." Miss Parker raised an eyebrow. “He really is a great guy. I can’t see why you would not want to be friends with him…."

“What else?" Miss Parker cut in.

Holly sighed. ‘I tried, Jarod,’ she thought. “I asked for a picture."

This obviously got Miss Parker’s attention. She had been looking out the window, but once the words were out of Holly’s mouth, she snapped her head back to face Holly.

“And?"

“He showed me one," Holly simply stated. She couldn’t understand why that fact was so significant. Whatever the reason, it caused Miss Parker to finally take a seat.

“He had a picture of me?" She was rather surprised.

“Yep. He said it was his favorite because you looke like your mother in it."

Miss Parker gave a little sad laugh and smile. They sat in silence; Miss Parker lost in her thoughts, Holly observing her.

“Any thing else?" Miss Parker broke the silence.

“Nope. That’s about it. Before he left, he gave me your address."

“And you thought that I’d know where he was? Why do you want to know?"

“I need his help."

Miss Parker nodded slowly. “Well," she stood, walking to the door. “I can’t help you. I have no idea where he is."

“But does he still call you?" Holly begged.

“Yes, he does, but he would never willingly tell me where he is."

“Maybe I could talk to him the next time he calls," she suggested.

Miss Parker shook her head. “I have no way of knowing when he will call next. He doesn’t keep to a schedule, you know." She was ready to kick this girl out.

“Please, Miss Parker! I REALLY need his help!"

“Why?"

“I can’t explain."

Miss Parker opened her door and motioned for the girl to leave.

“Miss Parker…."

“Leave. Now."

Holly left her seat and slowly walked to the door. In all resignation, she asked quietly “Would your mother have kicked me out?" as she walked past Miss Parker and out the door.

Miss Parker’s eyes widened. What did this girl know about her mother? Quickly, she grabbed Holly’s arm and pulled her back in.

“What do you know about my mother?" She demanded to know. Confusion and fear were evident in Holly’s face from the acid tone Miss Parker used. Miss Parker stared intently into Holly’s eyes.

Holly had never heard such a harsh tone before. Apparently she had struck a nerve. “Jarod, he uh, hetold me she was killed."

“Did he say by whom?" Her tone did not change.

“No, he didn’t…."

Miss Parker shoved Holly back into her house. This time, when the door shut, the whole house rattled. Holly was sincerely afraid.

“What I would like to know," Miss Parker circled Holly like she was her prey, “is why Jarod is disclosing all this personal information about me to strangers."

Holly followed Miss Parker with her eyes. She didn’t know how to answer that and she was afraid of relating this to Miss Parker.

Miss Parker stopped circling Holly and glared at the girl. “All right," she said. “You will stay here until he calls again." From her voice, Holly could tell there was not an option. Miss Parker grabbed Holly’s arm and pulled her towards another part of the house. Opening a door, she pulled Holly inside the room. “Here. You will stay in here." They were in a guestroom. Holly thought it was beautiful, but resigned from saying anything. Miss Parker left her side, and Holly let out a sigh. She tensed again when Miss Parker returned, carrying towels in her arms.

“Here," she shoved them into Holly’s arms. “The bathroom is over there," she pointed in one direction. “There are sweats to sleep in the armoire. Don’t you DARE poke around in any of my stuff. If you want something, ask." With that, Miss Parker turned and left, closing the door behind her. Holly sighed again.

After a few moments to recollect herself, Holly stepped out of her room and retraced her steps back to the kitchen. Just beyond she saw Miss Parker sitting on the couch in the living room with a cup in her hand. Holly stopped in the kitchen and studied her. Miss Parker seemed kind of sad. Maybe it was just the dim lighting.

“You need something?" She heard Miss Parker ask in a tone not so harsh.

“No. Well, I was wondering if we could talk."

Miss Parker looked up then at the girl with a questioning gaze. “What about?"

Holly shrugged her shoulders. “I dunno, stuff. Whatever it is girls talk about?" What on earth had evoked her to say that?

Miss Parker let a small, sad smile grace her lips. “I can’t help you there, Holly."

Holly didn’t let the fact go by that it was the first time Miss Parker had addressed her by name.

“Jarod wouldn’t tell me your first name," Holly suddenly remembered as she walked to the couch and sat sideways so she could face Miss Parker.

“He probably doesn’t remember."

“I think he does. He just wouldn’t tell me."

“It’s not important," Miss Parker dismissed the subject of conversation and Holly knew better than to push.

Holly looked nervously around the room for ideas of conversation. For whatever reason, she really wanted to be friends with Miss Parker. Their lives seemed so much alike. Holly’s eyes rested on something standing across from them, against the wall. She looked at it for a moment, then got up to get a closer look. Once she had one, she gasped.

“Oh my gosh!" She nearly whispered. “This is so incredible!" She turned to look at Miss Parker, then back at the statue. “It’s you!"

Miss Parker sighed and said, “That’s what I’ve been told."

“You really are beautiful, Miss Parker. Where did you get this made? The expressions are just exquisite!"

“Jarod did it," she said in a small voice.

“Wow. I would never have guessed." Holly was amazed.

“Oh yes. Jarod is a man of many talents." There was acid in her voice again.

“He really does like you, you know." Holly walked back over to the couch and took her position again.

“Where would you get an idea like that?"

“Miss Parker, my whole life, I’ve studied people. I have a very keen sense about how people feel from the way they speak and act. It’s very entertaining when you’ve nothing better to do. I know that he cares about you." She looked sideways at Miss Parker who seemed to be thinking about this.

“But what was it that made you think he cares?" She was trying not to sound very interested.

“Oh, let’s see. Shall we start with the fact that you two grew up together?"

“Hardly!" Miss Parker laughed out.

“That’s what he said, anyway. That you two were like siblings. And then there’s the phone calls."

“I’m not sure I would consider that a sign of caring. It would be more caring if he’d let me sleep at night."

“And lastly," Holly continued despite Miss Parker’s reply. “He carries your picture around in his wallet. They say pictures are a reminder of a person’s soul. That’s why they are so important to people. They feel that if they have a picture of someone they love, they somehow have a connection with that person, a piece of their soul."

Miss Parker was silent.

“Do you have a picture of him?"

“No, I don’t," she lied. She hardly thought the one she carried around to ask people if they’d seen him would count.

“Why’s that? Why don’t you like him?"

Miss Parker glared at Holly now, and Holly felt like she had crossed a line somewhere. Miss Parker and Jarod sure did have one thing in common, if anything. They both had those seemingly innocent questions that they’d rather die for than answer.

Finally, Miss Parker turned her face and resumed to her thoughts.

“I didn’t have a mother either when I was growing up," Holly finally admitted, hoping to get Miss Parker to open up to her. From the look on her face, Holly thought it just might be possible.

“Why are you telling me all this personal stuff?"

Holly shrugged her shoulders and watched Miss Parker, wondering if she’d ask a question or if Holly would have to continue on her own.

“My mother was murdered as well. My father too."

This caught Miss Parker’s immediate attention.

“Then my brother and sister. We’ve all got our times of extreme bad luck. In your case and mine, well, we just hit the jackpot."

“And I thought I was cold," Miss Parker noted Holly’s detachment.

“I never got to know my parents. I guess you knew your mom pretty well. I wasn’t very close with my brother and sister either."

“Tell me, Holly, why is it that you are here?"

“To find Jarod."

“Is that all?"

“Yeah…."

“Then can we just not talk? I like to sit in silence, if you don’t mind."

“OK," Holly was a bit hurt.

Holly sat silently as Miss Parker asked, studying the woman. She guessed that Miss Parker had once been a smoker, and she was dying for one now, but something had made her quit. While Holly watched Miss Parker, she also concluded that she did care about Jarod, even though she probably would not ever admit it, even on her deathbed. This caused Holly to wonder why someone would hide such feelings without even giving a hint. She was trying to figure out what Miss Parker’s situation could be that would cause this state when she noticed Miss Parker looking at her.

“Could you NOT stare at me? Didn’t anyone teach you manners?" Miss Parker chastised Holly.

“Sorry," she mumbled in response, turning her body to sit like Miss Parker.

Again in silence, Holly was left with a lot to think about. Every now and then she would sneak a glance at Miss Parker.

“Um, Miss Parker?"

Miss Parker let out a violent sigh. “What?" she asked through clenched teeth.

“Can I have something to eat? I’ve not eaten since this morning."

Miss Parker turned to look at Holly, then motioned to the kitchen. “Help yourself. I’m going to bed."

“You’re not going to eat anything?"

“No, I’m fine with my scotch," she replied while retreating to her room.

“No wonder you’re so skinny," Holly muttered under her breath as she went to the kitchen in search of food.


~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~

3am

Miss Parker jolted up at the sound of the phone screaming in her ear. Why the hell had she not unplugged it?

“WHAT!?" She shouted into the receiver.

“Good morning, Miss Parker!"

That damn voice! Now she remembered why she hadn’t unplugged it. She wanted to get Holly out of her house as soon as possible.

“Jarod, you have hell to pay for!"

“What did I do now?" he asked innocently.

“That girl, that Holly girl. She’s looking for you! Why the HELL did you give her my address?"

“Holly?" Jarod tried to recall who Miss Parker was talking about.

“Oh, don’t tell me you can’t remember all the girls you sleep with. I didn’t think there would be THAT many!" She growled into the phone. “Two years ago!" She shouted. “Does that ring a bell?"

“WHAT? What makes you think I slept with her? You are out of line, Miss Parker," he growled angrily back.

This made Miss Parker smirk. She made him angry for once!

“Out of line my ass. You can be such a jerk sometimes."

“What’s wrong with you Miss Parker?" She had never called him a jerk before.

“You want to know what’s wrong? How about having a stranger coming to your door who seems to know a hell of a lot about you, looking for someone you don’t even know how to get a hold of…."

“OK, OK, I get your point. I’m sorry. She was in need of an understanding friend and I thought you could help," Jarod stated truthfully.

He thought she could befriend this girl?

“Jarod, you shouldn’t have told her so much about me."

“I didn’t really tell her anything," Jarod was defensive.

“You told her about my mother."

“Oh. Well, I just thought you could help her out…."

“Forget it, Jarod. Why don’t I go wake your friend up and you can have your midnight talk with her and for once let me get some sleep."

Before Jarod could respond he was put on hold. He had no idea she’d get so upset about something like this. Hopefully it was just the early hour.

“Jarod?" A small, tired voice broke into his thoughts.

“Holly."

“Oh Jarod!" The voice was much more awake now. “I’m SO glad you called! I need your help! I don’t think my brother and sister’s deaths were coincidental. I think someone is trying to kill off my family, and I’m the only one left. Jarod, someone’s trying to kill me!"

Jarod thought for a moment. He had realized when she first told him about her family that something was amiss, but he pushed it to the back of his mind.

“OK, Holly, calm down. Does Miss Parker know?"

“No," she responded in a small voice.

“Well, don’t you think she ought to know that her life could be in danger, as long as you are there?" Jarod was a bit cross.

Holly swallowed. “I never thought…."

“You have to tell her. She’ll know what to do. I will call you tomorrow while Miss Parker’s at work and we’ll set a meeting, OK? You are not to tell her about that part. Got that?"

“Yes Jarod. Thank you," she was able to get in before the line went dead.

Hanging up the phone, Holly wondered if Jarod meant that she should tell Miss Parker now or in the morning. She decided she might as well get it over with now.

Walking over to Miss Parker’s bedroom, Holly rapped on the door. Opening it, she poked her head in and called out to the form on the bed. “Miss Parker?"

There was no answer, so Holly stepped in the room and walked over to the bed. Hesitating for a moment, she placed a hand on the woman’s shoulder and shook her gently at first. This got no response, so Holly tried a bit harder. “Miss Parker?" she said a little louder.

All of a sudden, Holly felt herself flying through the air and landed on the bed with a grunt. When she opened her eyes, all she could see was the silver gun stuck in her face.

“AAHHH!!!" She screamed and tried to get away.

“HOLLY!" She heard Miss Parker shout.

“HELP ME!!" Then the gun was moved and Holly was let go. Without thinking, Holly rolled off the bed and slid underneath, hoping she could hide from the person with the gun.

When she looked out, the light in the room had been turned on and the sheet covering the gap between the mattress and the floor was lifted. Holly squeezed her eyes shut, wishing it all away.

“Holly," she heard Miss Parker call her calmly. Holly, slowly opened one eye, then the other when she saw Miss Parker’s head peering at her.

“Oh, Miss Parker!" Holly was relieved. “There was someone!" She tried to explain as she crawled out from under the bed. “There was someone in here with a gun!" She looked around the room nervously.

“It’s alright, Holly." Miss Parker tried to calm the girl down.

Holly looked quizzically at Miss Parker, then over to something shining on the nightstand. It was the gun.

“It was you!" Holly quickly backed away from Miss Parker, her eyes open wide.

“Well, Holly," Miss Parker tried to explain, “you startled me!"

“I startled YOU?!" Holly found it hard to breathe.

“What did you come in here for?" Miss Parker did not wish to explain her gun.

“What?" Holly could not focus on anything but the memory of the gun in her face.

“You came in here and woke me. Why? What did Jarod say?"

“He uh," Holly swallowed, trying to get a grip on herself. “He told me to tell you why I am here."

“Well? Why are you here?"

“Someone’s trying to kill me," Holly confessed.

“Oh, so NOW you tell me," Miss Parker threw her hand up in the air.

“I’m sorry!" Holly cried.

“Yeah, well, what if whoever’s after you followed you here? We could both be dead!" Miss Parker was just as cross as Jarod had been.

“I’m really sorry, Miss Parker," Holly sank to the bed. “I’m just so scared, I’m not thinking straight." She could no longer keep the tears. She silently sobbed, her back to Miss Parker.

Miss Parker felt odd with girl crying on her bed, and a bit guilty for being so harsh. She walked over to Holly and gently put her arms around the girl.

“It’s OK, Holly," she comforted. “I’m glad you told me now and didn’t wait until morning."

Holly lost all control and cried. She turned and hugged Miss Parker, welcoming the comfort. It felt so good to be held. Holly couldn’t remember the last time anyone had held her or been this close to her.

Miss Parker gently rubbed Holly’s back, trying to calm the girl. She knew exactly what it felt like to be alone at times such as this. Miss Parker realized that she would do anything to help Holly until she was safe from all threat. It was what her mother would have done.

While Holly cried, Miss Parker wondered how on earth she was going to get Jarod to help her. She knew she could not help Holly without his help, but she also knew how much Jarod trusted her. She would have to figure something out in the morning. Right now she was too tired.

“Holly?"

“Yeah?" Holly’s crying slowed for a moment so she could hear Miss Parker.

“We really need to get some sleep."

“Yeah, I guess so." Holly agreed, but did not move.

Miss Parker sighed. “Would you like to sleep in here tonight?" Miss Parker asked.

Holly nodded her head as she wiped her eyes. “Please?"

“All right," Miss Parker got up and pushed the covers of her bed back. Both women crawled in and pulled the covers up for protection.

“Thanks Miss Parker," Holly whispered as she fell asleep.

“You’re welcome," she answered, but sleep did not come for her until later.

~~~***~~~***~~~***~~~

10am

Miss Parker woke first that morning and found Holly in her arms. She remembered what had happened the night before and let out a soft laugh. She bet Jarod, or anyone for that matter, would not believe their eyes if they saw Miss Parker now, comforting the young woman, who had been like a little child in fright the previous night. Then she got a glance at the clock and groaned. She had overslept. Reaching over Holly, she grabbed the phone and turned away.

“Sydney." He co-worker answered.

“Syd?"

“Miss Parker, you all right?" His concern was not hard to hear.

“Yeah, I’m fine," she whispered into the phone, trying not to wake Holly. “I’m not coming to work today, OK? I’m just a little sick."

“Are you sure you’re ok, Miss Parker?"

“Yeah Syd," she reassured the older man. “I just need some rest, OK? Call me if you need anything," she told him, knowing full well that he would not.

“OK. Hope you feel better."

Miss Parker was just about to place the phone down when it rang. Holly stirred and Miss Parker answered it.

“What?" she was still whispering.

“Holly?" Miss Parker recognized the voice.

“No, Jarod, it’s me," she corrected him.

“Miss Parker!?" He was obviously surprised to hear her answer the phone.

“Five points for the genius," she stated comically.

“What are you doing home?"

“What? A girl can’t decide to sleep in?" She wondered why he was calling. Then she realized he had probably planned on meeting with Holly while she was at work and out of the way. It bothered her because she wanted to help Holly as well, but Jarod wanted to do it by himself.

“Where’s Holly?" He was asking her.

“She’s right here, Jarod. She’s still sleeping," she informed him.

“No I’m not," Holly murmured as she slowly awakened.

“Jarod, what is it with you and waking people up when they are trying to get some sleep?" She demanded to know. She could hear the smile in his voice when he answered.

“Oh, just you, Miss Parker. No one else is as fun to wake up. You’re my favorite person for that. I figured as long as I’m not getting any sleep, you shouldn’t be either."

“Very funny, Jarod," Miss Parker answered, her tone strongly contradicted her words. She pulled the phone away from her mouth and called to Holly. “Prince Charming wants to talk to you," Jarod heard her say.

Prince Charming?

“Hello?" A sleepy voice answered.

“Well, I guess we’ll have to set up a meeting another time," Jarod told Holly, trying to figure out when that could be.

“Jarod, it’s all right. Miss Parker wants to help too," she informed him.

“I bet she does," Jarod answered sarcastically.

“No, really," Holly began to explain when Jarod heard Miss Parker demand for the phone.

“Jarod, I am going to help," she said as she walked to her bathroom so Holly could no longer hear their conversation.

“No way, Parker. I’m not going to let you trick me into helping you drag me back to The Centre." His usual kind tone was gone.

Miss Parker sighed heavily. “I really want to help, Jarod."

Jarod thought that she truly meant what she was saying. Or was that what he wanted to hear?

“Sorry Parker," he was saying. “I just don’t trust you…."

“DAMNIT JAROD!" She screamed. She knew no other way to get him to believe her.

“How can you expect me to trust you?" Jarod shot back, not appreciating her yelling at him.

Miss Parker was silent for a moment. “I don’t know, Jarod. I don’t know."

The two hung on the phone in silence, then Miss Parker finally heard Jarod sigh.

“Let me think about it," he said and ended the call.

At least he was going to take time to think, Miss Parker thought. She guessed that was all she could ask him to do at this point, with her track record.

“Well?" Holly wondered when Miss Parker emerged from the bathroom.

“He’ll call back," she informed her.

To Be Continued...