Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Miss Parker’s House
Blue Cove, Delaware
10pm, 1999

Holly enjoyed spending the whole day with Miss Parker. Though the woman was preoccupied with worry about Jarod calling back, they were able to have some fun. Miss Parker had opened up a little and related stories about her childhood- things about her mother that she could remember and adventures she went on with Jarod. Holly loved Miss Parker’s stories. Holly in return, related all the times she herself had gotten into trouble with her foster parents when she got into things she shouldn’t have. Though their upbringing may have been as different as night and day, Holly enjoyed the fact that she and Miss Parker were much alike as children. Now they were playing Scrabble, still waiting for Jarod’s call.

“That’s not a word! You cheat, Miss Parker!"

“It is too a word! Look it up," she challenged.

Holly could not control her laughter. Miss Parker was a bad loser.

The shrill ringing of the phone abruptly interrupted their game. Miss Parker stared at it, almost not wanting to pick it up.

“Hello?"

“Have I got the right number?"

Miss Parker gave a little smile. “Yes, Jarod, it’s me." Her stomach was in knots.

“Ah. I see a day with Holly has changed you mood slightly?"

“Only slightly. What is it you’ve decided?"

She could hear him sigh, a sign that he was rethinking his decision one last time. She wondered if that was a good sign.

“I will trust you. Just this once."

Holly had no idea what Jarod was saying to Miss Parker, but she could tell it was something good, from the expression on Miss Parker’s face. She looked like she was going to cry and jump for joy at the same time. Holly felt the happiness catching, even though she didn’t know what it was.

“Ok, so what now?" Miss Parker tried to keep the excitement out of her voice, but Jarod could hear it.

“Now we discuss insurance."

“Insurance?" Miss Parker was baffled.

“You know there are conditions to trust…." Miss Parker’s face fell. He didn’t trust her. “It has to be earned. We obviously don’t have time for that, so I need insurance."

“I see," Miss Parker’s tone was back to acid, leaving Holly confused. What could make Miss Parker go from utter joy to pained anger so quickly?

“I have something of your mother’s…."

Miss Parker slammed the phone down. She was sick of him dangling her mother in front of her; she could not take the anxiety anymore.

“What did he say?" Holly wished she knew what Jarod’s side of the conversation entailed. Miss Parker’s side was not much of a clue.

“He can’t help," Miss Parker told Holly.

Holly’s face paled, and she sat, trying to read Miss Parker’s face. Was she hearing right? Jarod was not going to help her fend against a killer?

“What are we going to do now?" Holly began to cry.

“You’ve still got me," Miss Parker reminded her.

“Yes, I know, but…."

The phone rang again. Miss Parker had a pretty good idea who it was, but she answered anyway.

“What?" She spat into the phone.

“Miss Parker," Jarod’s tone was strict.

“Yeah, thanks, but no thanks," she equaled his tone and hung up. “Solicitor," Miss Parker shrugged her shoulders, answering Holly’s questioning expression.

Miss Parker and Holly were silent as they put the game away and cleared the rest of the table. Then Holly could not wait any longer.

“So what are we going to do?"

“I’m not sure yet," Miss Parker answered. “Let’s sleep on it and we’ll think of something in the morning."

Holly could tell that Miss Parker was physically and emotionally tired. What had gone on during that conversation with Jarod?

There was a knock on the door and Holly moved to answer it when Miss Parker held her back.

“What if it’s your killer?" Miss Parker whispered as she pulled out her gun. Cautiously, she went to the door and looked through the peephole.

“UURRGH!" She grunted and yanked the door open. Glaring at her on the front step was Jarod.

“Nice to see you too, Parker," he greeted in a harsh tone and pushed past her into the house.

“Well, I’m surprised you even used the door this time," she shot back, locking the door shut behind him.

“I can’t BELIEVE you…." Jarod was scolding Miss Parker when he noticed Holly in the room, confused as ever.

“Hello, Holly," he managed in a softer tone.

“What’s going on?" She wanted to know everything and thought that maybe Jarod had changed since she last saw him, from the way he had entered the house. Miss Parker hadn’t even invited him in.

“Jarod doesn’t know how to get the hint when he’s not wanted." Miss Parker spat in his direction.

“Not wanted? Who said he wasn’t wanted? Did you tell him that Miss Parker?"

“Not in so many words," Jarod said loudly under his breath.

“What is WRONG with you two? You’re acting like children!" Holly scolded both of them. Looking at Miss Parker, she reinstated, “We need his help, Miss Parker. And you," she turned to Jarod. “Have you no manners? You can’t just barge into someone’s home like that, yelling and all. You weren’t even invited in!"

Miss Parker was amused to see Jarod shrink back from her scolding. At lease someone could get through to him.

“Maybe you can teach him a thing or two about phone etiquette," Miss Parker added.

“ME!?" Jarod shouted. “I need to be taught about…."

“ENOUGH!" Holly stopped them before they got uncontrollable. “MAN! Do I have to put you two in the corner?" Holly glared at each, daring them to continue again.

Miss Parker looked away and tried to remember how she had gotten into this mess. Everything began with Jarod. She just wanted to leap across the space between them and ring his little neck. Then he had the nerve to actually start laughing! Miss Parker turned her head sharply to look at him and found a big grin plastered on his face. Was he actually laughing at her? And now Holly was joining in. They could both just go to hell, Miss Parker fumed.

“You can both find the door. I want you out of my house," she ordered as she walked briskly to her room and slammed the door.

Jarod and Holly stopped laughing and looked at each other. They both winced when they heard Miss Parker’s bathroom door slam.

“What do we do now?" Holly wondered, not thinking of leaving for one second.

“We give her a little time to calm down and then I’ll go talk to her." Jarod answered knowingly.

“You sure I shouldn’t?" Holly questioned.

Jarod shook his head. “No, I must apologize to her. She made me so angry, I stopped thinking."

Holly smiled. “There’s the Jarod I know! You hungry?"

“Famished!"

Holly handed him the rest of the pizza Miss Parker had ordered earlier for dinner. Miss Parker had hardly eaten any, so there was plenty left for him.


When Jarod finished eating, he gave a heavy sigh and headed towards Miss Parker’s bedroom door without a word to Holly. Holly took a seat and waited.

Jarod entered her room and found it empty. She must still be in the bathroom. He knocked gently on the door and when there was no answer, he tried the knob. It was unlocked, so he entered.

Inside, he found Miss Parker sitting on the floor in the corner next to the sink. It looked like she had been crying.

“I thought I told you to leave." Her voice was low and menacing, but cracked a little.

“I’m sorry, Miss Parker."

“What for?" she asked, but did not care for an answer.

“For a lot of things."

“I thought I told you to leave," she repeated.

“We’re not leaving," he stated firmly.

“Of course not. Why should I expect you to leave when neither of you were invited in the first place?" She spat out. Jarod held his tongue.

“What is it that has you so upset?" He pleaded with her to answer.

“I don’t want to talk to you."

Jarod took a seat on the floor right next to her. “Well, that’s tough, because I’m not going anywhere until you do."

“I’m so tired of this, Jarod," she finally said after a long moment of silence.

“Me too, Miss Parker."

“I’m tired of all the games you make me play, the tricks you do to me, making me do things, just to get something you found that belonged to my mother."

What she said was not exactly what Jarod had thought she had meant by ‘this’, but he was just glad she was talking.

“Oh," he responded dumbly.

“Oh? Is that all you can say?" She looked at him accusingly as a tear ran down her cheek. Jarod looked back with a hurt look that mirrored hers. “But I am also angry, because I understand why." She finally concluded.

“Well, I don’t…."

“Just don’t say anything," she told him. She knew he probably would never imagine her admitting that she understood why he played all those games and tricks on her. “I know you think that I can just up and leave it all behind, but you have to realize that I CAN’T."

“Yes you…."

“NO!" She shouted. The sound was so loud; it left them both with ringing in their ears. “No, Jarod," she whispered this time.

“Alright, Parker. You win, for now. I will lay off, just for the moment, because we have a killer to catch." He said and stood, holding his hand out for her. Thankfully, she took it and he helped her up. Before she realized it, Jarod had her in quick, tight embrace, then let her go. She wondered if she had imagined. Her vision had gone dim for a moment because she had gotten up too fast. She decided not to say anything.

Holly stood when the two emerged from Miss Parker’s room and smiled when she saw that Miss Parker had calmed.

“Are we ready to get to work?" She asked eagerly.

“Ok, let me fill you both in on what I found out. The good news is that I have a pretty good idea of who our killer is…."

~~~***~~~***~~~***~~~

Blue Cove, Delaware
Hyatt Hotel
12am

Jarod had found out what had gone on while Holly’s parents were still alive, that made them suspicious of the people they worked with. It had not taken long for Jarod to narrow the list down to one man, the suspected killer of Holly’s family. It became clear that he was the one when Jarod found out he was at the Hyatt in Blue Cove and had checked in just one day after Holly arrived. It made Jarod weary, thinking what might have happened had they waited a day longer to do anything about this problem.

“I don’t see it as such a coincidence that you showed up here in Blue Cove, Derrick, just a day after Holly. You were responsible for not only the death of her parents, but her brother and sister as well, weren’t you?" Jarod accused the man.

“I don’t know what you are talking about," Derrick sat in his own bedroom, handcuffed and tied to a chair. This man who now had him bound to a chair had woken him in the middle of the night. “I was just taking a vacation. Some friends invited me here…."

“If you care to spare your life, Derrick, I suggest you start telling the truth."

That was Miss Parker’s cue and she walked in, gun in hand.

“You see," Jarod began to explain, “my friend here is a very angry person. Someone killed her mother, someone just like you. She has yet to find the identity of that person, but you see, Derrick, right now, vengeance on you is just as good for her. Until she finds her own mother’s killer."

“Please! Don’t kill me!" Derrick begged while keeping his eyes fixed on the gun. When he looked up and saw the expression on the gun holder’s face, he paled. “All right," he resigned. “It was me. I killed her family. Her parents were getting into business that did not concern them. I warned them to butt out, but they wouldn’t listen," he confessed. “I had no other choice. Then when I found out that their daughter was following in their footsteps, finding out things that she shouldn’t have- I had to eliminate her. If she knew so much, it was a great possibility that the other two did as well. I could not take any chances."

Miss Parker pushed the gun against the man’s head and pulled the trigger. The man screamed, to her satisfaction and then slumped in the chair. Jarod rewound the tape in his packed and pressed play. They had recorded the whole confession.

At the sound of his voice, Derrick lifted his head. “I’m, I’m not dead?"

Miss Parker leaned down to level with the man and whispered harshly in his ear, “Oh, but you will wish you were." Then she hit Derrick in the back of the neck with her gun, knocking him out. Jarod watched her closely.

“You’ve got incredible control, Miss Parker," he gratified her.

She looked up at him and tears were in her eyes again. “I’m beginning to think that I will never find him," she whispered.

“We will," Jarod insisted. “I want him found just as much as you, Miss Parker.

“I wish I could help you out, Jarod, but…."

“I know," he grabbed her hand and held it gently. “I would never ask you to take any chances that will result in death or torture. You know that I wouldn’t."

“Sometimes I like to think that you are wrong about everyone. Daddy, especially. My mother married him, Jarod. There must be something there that we don’t see," she pleaded with her eyes for him to agree.

“Maybe," was all he would give her.

~~~***~~~***~~~***

Crown Hotels
Blue Cove
1:15am

Holly had been put up in another hotel for the night, just incase anything should go wrong. She was told to get some rest, but how could Jarod and Miss Parker expect her to sleep while they were facing her killer? Holly had wanted to go with them, but they both strongly disagreed and she did not doubt that they would have tied her to the bed if she had not finally agreed to stay at the hotel. All she could do was pace the room until they got back.

When she heard someone at the door, she flung it open before he got a chance to. The man out in the hall smiled at her and she wrapped her arms around him.

“Thank you SO much!" Her gratefulness overwhelming her, brining tears to her eyes. “I owe my life to you and Miss Parker," she finally let him enter the room.

“We got his confession on tape and left all the evidence at the police station. You will probably be asked to testify on your family’s behalf, but other than that, Derrick Mates is as good as in prison for life," Jarod informed her.

“Where’s Miss Parker?" Holly was a bit worried.

“Don’t worry. She went to leave the stuff at the police station and will be here shortly. I, on the other hand, must leave."

“Already?" Holly was disappointed.

“Yes, so you take care, and you know how to reach me, if need be," Jarod embraced her once again. “But next time, please let Miss Parker know you are coming first."

“Okay, Jarod. Thanks again," she smiled as he left the room.

True to his word, Miss Parker arrived shortly after and caught Jarod in the parking lot.

“Jarod, where are you going?" Jarod froze at the sound of her voice, his back to her.

“I have to go," he said stiffly, without turning to see her.

It was then that Miss Parker realized what was going on. “You thought that I’d come back with sweepers, didn’t you?" she accused.

Finally, Jarod turned to look at her. “The thought never crossed your mind?"

Miss Parker could not keep the truth from showing in her face and Jarod nodded his head.

“Well, of course it did, Jarod. That’s my job! But what matters is that I chose not to," she pointed out.

Jarod studied her and was reassured that Catherine was still in Miss Parker, that there was hope yet. This would fuel him for years to come and he would continue to help her.

“I’m sorry, Miss Parker, but I really have to go." He turned and got into the car. Miss Parker stared after him as he took off without looking back. She sighed heavily and went inside.

Holly greeted Miss Parker just the same as Jarod, but realized that her mind was elsewhere.

“What is bothering you, Miss Parker?" Holly was concerned.

Miss Parker quickly hid her emotions and smiled at Holly.

“Nothing at all. You will be leaving in the morning?"

“Yes," Holly was visibly sad.

“Well, I’m sorry, but I won’t be able to be here to see you off. I must go to work before they send a search party for me."

Holly looked like she was going to cry, but nodded her head.

“Well, then, good bye," Miss Parker turned to leave, but was tackled by Holly in such an embrace, she would have thought one of them was going to die.

“Thank you, Miss Parker. Really," Holly whispered, then let go.

Miss Parker left then, trying not to let her emotions take over her.


~~~***~~~***~~~

Miss Parker’s Office
The Centre
9am

Miss Parker looked up from the file she was reading when Lyle came barging into her office.

“What do you want?" she snapped at him.

“Jarod was spotted in Blue Cove last night," he informed her in what seemed to be an accusing voice.

“Yeah, and?" she was worried for a moment that they had captured him. Then Jarod would think she had something to do with it and he would never trust her again.

“And, doesn’t that strike you as rather odd? That he’d come so close?" Lyle was hinting something and it was irritating her that he wouldn’t come right out and say it.

“What the hell are you implying, Lyle," she growled at him.

“He didn’t happen to come into contact with you, did he?"

So that was it. Lyle thought that Jarod had been to see her. Did they know any of the truth?

“Now why would Rat Boy come to see me, Lyle? He’s a genius, not a stupid." She talked like she was explaining something to a three-year-old child.

“Who knows what that freak is thinking," Lyle shot back.

Miss Parker wondered why he was so insistent.

“No, Lyle. If I had had the opportunity of coming across Jarod, I would have stuck a gun in his face and walked him into the Centre."

“For your sake, I hope you are telling the truth," Lyle warned and left the office.

Miss Parker glared after him and wished she could put a bullet through his head, brother or not. Nevertheless, she would have to be careful the next few weeks.

~~~***~~~***~~~

Miss Parker’s House
3am

Miss Parker was for once having a good dream, about a life away from the Centre, when the shrill voice of the phone woke her. Couldn’t Jarod give it a rest for at least a little while?

“What?" She didn’t bother to make her voice threatening. She was too sleepy to even try.

“You know that I can help you leave the Centre, Miss Parker," he began. It didn’t take long for Miss Parker to come out of sleep and build up her anger.

Miss Parker shook her head. “You of all people," she responded, “should know that it’s not that easy. No one walks away from the Centre." She did her best to keep her voice under control.

“Do you think the Centre can track me because they’re that good?" Jarod almost laughed out. This caught Miss Parker’s attention. “You put too much faith in that place, Miss Parker. They only find me because I let them."

“Why would you do that?" She asked doubtful of what he was saying. “You’re a genius and you claim something so stupid."

“I do it," Jarod answered wishing he could be there to see her reaction, “because of you."

Miss Parker was afraid she had heard him wrong.

“What?"

“And Sydney, of course," Jarod continued. “He would kill himself over worry if I just cut all ties. Poor Broots is just along for the ride. Once I have all my answers, and you yours, that will be the end."

“So we play this game until then?" Miss Parker whispered. “But then, if I went with you, you wouldn’t be able to find your answers. Why would you give that up, give your family up, for me?"

Jarod sighed heavily. He thought the answer was plain to see. “To save my childhood friend… and Catherine’s daughter."