Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Jarod’s Cabin

"We’re going to have to give you a name," Jarod suggested to his "son" while they ate Pez together. "Jarod just won’t work."

"I agree."

"Hmm, how about Matt?"

"Matt sounds fine. Could I have some ice cream?"

Jarod smiled at Matt. The boy was catching on quickly, just as he had, about all the fine things in life.

"Of course! But I need to talk to you about something."

"Sure, what is it?"

"I don’t want you following in my footsteps out here in the free world. I want you to have a childhood, one that I never got to have. I’ve asked my dad to take care of you. We’ll still see each other, it’s just that I have to move around so much with what I do, and I think we have a better chance at avoiding the Centre if we split."

"But what will I do? I can’t go to school, I can’t make any friends, I will never be free!" Matt exclaimed painfully.

"No, not as long as the Centre still exists, but I’m working on that. You can have a better life out here than in the Centre, though. My dad will teach you everything you need to know. You too can learn from each other."

Charles walked in then, hoping Jarod had explained the situation to the boy. He shot Jarod a questioning look. Jarod nodded his head.

"Dad, meet Matt."

"Fits you perfectly," Charles said with a smile.

Matt tried to look happy.

"It will take awhile, Matt, but you’ll get used to it, and soon you will be able to enjoy all life, outside the Centre, has to offer. I have to go now. I will keep in touch with you two."

"So soon?" Charles was sad to hear his son was leaving all ready.

"Duty calls, Dad."
Jarod gave the two each a strong hug, giving Matt a good supply of Pez and other candy.

"That should hold you for awhile. Then Dad can get you more."

Then he grabbed his bag and left, trying not to look back.


Hospital
Kansas City, MO

Kara sat in her bed, staring blankly at the TV bolted to the wall in her room. She wished she could leave. There was nothing to do in this place, and no one bothered to visit, except Jarod. The man had her baffled. She felt like he really cared about her, not like the psychiatrist that she had been sent to see a couple times. The psychiatrist was just doing her job. But Jarod, he was different.

When she heard the familiar sounds of her doctor entering the room, she turned eagerly from the TV with a smile on her face.

"Hey Doc!"

"Hello Kara, how you feeling today?"

"Better, now that someone came to visit me."

"I’m glad I can bring some happiness into your life," Jarod said.

"Tell me another story please, Jarod?" Kara was desperate for company.

"Hmm, only if you answer a question first."

"Depends on the question. You can ask it, but I’m not promising to answer it."

"That’s fair." Jarod looked at her with seriousness and compassion. "Do you think you will try again?"

Kara knew exactly what he was asking and thought about it for awhile.

"I don’t know. I used to think that I never would, but here I am, right? So, I suppose it would be a possibility, even if I had said no. It would be nice not to feel like I do most of the time. I just don’t see any way to stop it. I can’t help it, Jarod."

Jarod studied her and knew that there was not much he could do for her if she would not confide in him. Maybe he could get her to talk with someone else….

"One time, when I was a kid, about nine years old, I got my first kiss. It was a special kiss, you see, because it came unexpectedly, from the first girl I had ever seen."

"Did I ever tell you that your stories are strange, Jarod?"

"I grew up in a strange place. Now, let me continue!"



Centre Plane
In the air

"Don’t you think we should get a sweeper team to meet us?" Broots asked Miss Parker, cautiously, trying not to step on any toes.

Miss Parker studied Broots for a moment and secretly reveled at the sight of his squirming under her gaze.

"Do you doubt my decisions, Boots?"

Broots swallowed hard and replied quickly, "No, no, Miss Parker, I was just…"

"Just what? Making a suggestion?" She sighed with annoyance. "We don’t even know if he’s still there. He most likely has already moved on, and if we can avoid involving a sweeper team, the better."

Sydney turned his head towards his two quarrelling colleagues and entered the conversation.

"If you think that’s he’s probably not going to be there, why are we wasting out time?"

Miss Parker turned a slightly softer glare to Sydney. "Anything is better than nothing, Syd. Too bad we have to even waste time to stop at the Centre. Daddy said it was urgent, though. I don’t know why he couldn’t just tell me over the phone."

The Centre

Miss Parker knocked on her father’s door, at his request, hoping to get whatever this was over soon so she could go after Jarod. As far as her father knew, they were just following up on a lead, that there was no chance of Jarod being there.

"Come in!" Her father’s voice was uncharacteristically upbeat.

"Daddy?" Miss Parker walked in cautiously; taking in the sigh that greeted her. "What?"

"Surprise!" Her father said with not much giddiness, but a hint of excitement was in his voice. With him were Brigitte and Lyle.

"What is this?" Miss Parker was completely baffled. Her father was holding a present in his hands.

"Brigitte thought it would be nice if we all got together to surprise you with a sort of, ‘Thank you’ gathering. Here," he pushed the present towards her. "I got you a little something."

Miss Parker could not hide her disbelief. What was Brigitte up to? She took the present and cautiously opened it, trying to make sense of this whole deal. The box contained a blazer and shirt, exactly the same as what she was wearing when she got shot.

"It’s to replace the ones that got ruined, when you saved my life. It was Brigitte’s idea. I can’t thank you enough, Angel!" Mr. Parker gave his daughter a swift hug.

"Thanks, Daddy," Miss Parker asked, unsure of what to say.

"Don’t thank me, thank your mother. It was all her idea."

Miss Parker looked over to a glowing Brigitte with confusion evident on her face. She said nothing.

"You’re welcome, honey," Brigitte stated, unaffected by the lack of caring in Miss Parker’s expression.

"Can I go now, Daddy?"

"Sure you can, Angel. But, I want you to join us for dinner in two hours. So, go home and get changed!"

Damn. Now she wouldn’t be able to get to Jarod until tomorrow. She really did not feel like wining and dining with Brigitte and Lyle. Her father alone would have been fine, but the other two just ruined everything. Miss Parker left her fathers office, disappointed.

********

Miss Parker walked back into her father’s office, without knocking this time. He was at his desk with two other men. Their conversation ceased before she could overhear anything.

"I’m ready, Daddy."

"Oh, Angel, I meant to call you."

Miss Parker could guess what was coming next. She didn’t even need to hear it, and would have been just as happy leaving without the words being said, but she stayed for her father’s benefit.

"We’ll have to do it another time, something very crucial has come up. You understand, don’t you?"

"Yes, Daddy," Miss Parker was already thinking about the bottle of scotch that was going to be her company for the night and she walked out of her father’s office.


Jarod’s Apartment
Kansas City

Jarod received an email from Angelo warning him that Parker would be on her way soon. He wasn’t quite sure what to do. He wasn’t ready to leave Kara; he had not solved anything for her yet. She was still reluctant to tell anyone about what she was going through or what brought her to this point. He decided that he would just have to hide out this time, with an emergency escape plan. It was a big risk, but he could not abandon Kara. Maybe she could even help him a bit on this one.


Hospital

"What do you want, Doc? I’m not answering any of your questions, if you’ve come up with a list of more," Kara said playfully to Jarod after he walked into her room.

"No, I’ve come to say goodbye. I’ve been here too long and it’s about time I get out of here."

"You on the run Doc? Some malpractice charges?" Kara toyed with Jarod.

"So eager to doubt my good nature! Unfortunately, you’re half-right. Some bad people are trying to kidnap me so they can exploit my abilities."

"Sounds serious. Boy, if you’re that great of a doctor, I wonder how my parents can afford you."

"Well, that’s another thing. Their organization donated the money unknowingly to help your parents out. They will be ten times angrier when they find out." Jarod’s pager went off. "I bet you that’s them right now."

"Are you trapped? How will you get out?" Kara tried to hide her concern.

Jarod studied Kara for a moment. "Would you like to help?"

"What do you want me to do?"

********

Miss Parker was not feeling good, after finishing most of the new bottle of scotch last night, and felt no remorse if she ran anyone over on her way to get Jarod. The orderly standing behind the desk in front of her was a good candidate, especially after he informed her that Jarod was still there. She hated people with a passion that got in her way.

"Dr. Scope is probably talking with one of his patients, he’s not answering his page. You’ll have to wait."

Broots felt sorry for the orderly, he had no idea he had buried himself just now.

"You want me to wait?" Miss Parker sad coldly, with death in her voice.

The orderly did not know quite what to say he seemed ready to run.

"Uh, or I could tell you where he was last headed," the man offered with pain in his voice.

"Uh, that would be good," Miss Parker dispassionately made fun of the man. She would have enjoyed this, if the man hadn’t been wasting precious time.

Broots and Sydney stayed behind to make sure the orderly stayed calm and did not call the police while Miss Parker went to investigate in the direction the orderly had sent her. She found the room and entered without knocking. There was a girl sitting up in bed watching TV. She turned her head to see who had entered.

"That’s a door," Kara pointed to the now open door of her room. "When they’re closed, you knock on them," she explained as if the woman before her was a slow learner. Then she turned her attention to the TV.

Miss Parker surveyed the room. No sign of Jarod. She ignored the blunt words of the teenager.

"Where’s your doctor?"

Kara looked Miss Parker over. "I don’t think he’s the kind of doctor you need. You should try the psycho ward."

The words had little effect on Miss Parker. A teenager could never intimidate her. Especially now that she had her gun out.

"Someone should slap that smart mouth of yours," Miss Parker pointed the gun at the girl. "Now, tell me where Jarod is."

"Or what? You’re going to shoot me? Have you any idea what brought me here in the first place?"

Miss Parker picked up the girl’s chart at the end of the bed. In red ink was written "suicide watch." Great. She wasn’t going to get anything out of this twerp. She put her gun away.

"Have you any idea where he is?"

Kara rolled her eyes and glared at Miss Parker. "He left 20 minutes ago. Said that some people were looking for him and he wanted to play ‘hard to get.’ That’s all I know."

Miss Parker looked directly into the girl’s eyes. She didn’t flinch.

"So, why’d you kill yourself?"

The question came quite unexpected to Kara. She was stunned.

"Did your parents refuse to give you the car you wanted?" Miss Parker was fishing for anger and was pleased to get the result she wanted.

"Immediately you assume I’m a spoiled brat?" Kara flushed with anger.

Miss Parker smiled devilishly.

"Brat is right."

"I am neither! It’s not my fault men can’t keep their dirty hands off me!"

Kara’s eyes widened at the realization of what had just slipped out of her mouth.

Miss Parker’s smile faded. She did not want to hear that. She turned and left the room.

Kara stared after the retreating woman and started to cry.

Jarod walked in a few minutes later. He had heard everything from the next room. He sat with Kara and held her.

**********

"Anything, Miss Parker?" Broots asked, back at the front desk.

"No," she answered shortly, avoiding eyes.

"No sign of Jarod at all?" Sydney found it hard to believe.

"Nothing, now, let’s get out of here."

Sydney sensed there was something wrong, but he did not push it. If Parker wanted to fill him in, she would do it in her own time.

**********

Jarod silently sat with Kara and let her cry. He would wait until she spoke first.

"Jarod?" She spoke quietly. "Do you know that woman?"

"Yes," he admitted. "We used to be friends. Why?"

"There was something in her eyes, when I opened my big mouth. I could have sworn it was recognition."

Jarod understood, but, at the same time, was confused.

"What are you saying, Kara?" He almost did not want to admit it.

"I’m saying that the same damn thing must have happened to her."

After Kara had calmed down, Jarod got up and left the room. He had a phone call to make. He’d have to wait until tonight, but in the meantime, he needed to think.

Miss Parker’s Home

Another night in the company of alcohol. She was definitely going to ruin herself. Why did she have to push that girl? All sorts of memories rushed back to her at the thought, which she tried to drown out with her drink. It was going to be another long and rough night.

A thought occurred to her the first time that night. What if Jarod was there and had overheard? No, she dismissed it. He would not have stuck around, knowing they were there. That would be too risky for him.

Miss Parker drank until she passed out. She never heard the phone ringing.

To Be Continued...