Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

It was time to call it a day. Miss Parker rose from her desk and grabbed her coat. Out in the hallway she met Sydney who was completely lost in a paper, apparently heading for the research lab.

"I'm gone for today Syd. I'll treat myself for a much needed hour of massage. You should think of something else besides work too, you know."

"Oh yes I heard. Broots has told me that you have taken up massage with Ms. Clancy. Are you sure it is wise to have any off-work-association with a Centre employee?"

She raised her eyebrows in an amused expression.

"Are you kidding? Not since Sara Lee invented the double chocolate cheese cake has another woman given me so much pleasure! Besides, I am associated with you too, aren't I?"

She knew he was only worried about her, like always, cautious in her behalf. Suddenly the thought of how her comment could be interpreted occurred to her. A naughty mind could mistake it rather easily. But a second look into the face of her long time friend assured her.

Now she had to smile inwardly. No. Maybe Broots would have been the one, he would have become all red in his face, stuttering and at loss for words. But not Sydney. There was no need to clear that up.

"Don't worry Syd. I've checked her. She is a regular physical therapist engaged only in the Centre's more decent research. So, goodnight."

Miss Parker went for the elevator, definitely looking forward to the massage. Rose Clancy was in her mid-forties and, Miss Parker guessed that it came with the job, a rather big women. But she was nice. She didn't talk much and had hands that worked like magic on her stiff body. Clancy was actually working in a wellness center in Dover and was only partly involved in Centre research. As she had told Sydney, Parker had checked that woman thoroughly and felt safe succumbing her body to her magic hands.

At the thought of heading to Dover an idea popped up in her head; there was actually a different prospect for 'relaxation'. The face and the very nude body of Daniel suddenly appeared out of nowhere. Parker closed her eyes and shaked her head as if to wipe that picture from her mind.

Sydney had already disappeared down the hall and Miss Parker resumed her way towards the elevator when a distinct noise came to her attention. With a quick look around she made sure no one was watching. Feeling pretty safe, Miss Parker approached the very source of the noise: the ventilation shaft,

Angelo did not open the grid. He stayed hidden behind it and only after Miss Parker was close enough to hear him he whispered. "Angelo has surprise for Miss Parker. Go see in office."

Oh no, Miss Parker thought, not tonight. But her curiosity as well as a healthy sense of self-preservation made her turn on her heels. Angelo had to have something important when he actually dared to approach her that way. He'd never done it before.

Back in her office, she looked around for anything unusual. Something that would account for a 'surprise' left by the empath. When she couldn't detect anything out of the ordinary she was ready to leave. Tomorrow she would give Cousin It a piece of her mind. He would not start that game with her!

Just then the ventilation grid in her office started to rattle. After a minute, Angelo had managed to get it loose and jumped out of the vent; a pack of Cracker Jack between his teeth.

He handed the pack of treat over. Miss Parker knew what that meant. She grabbed for the package and found, just like she had years ago, a shiny little disc amidst the sweet contents.

Though she knew there was no concrete answer (was there ever) she couldn't stop herself: "What is it, Angelo? What's on it?"

"Must see. Need to see," was all Angelo offered. He didn't leave, he stayed with her, pointing towards her DSA-Player. "Play."

Miss Parker was grateful that she had either Broots or Sam sweep her office for bugs or hidden cameras on a daily basis. She walked up to her door and locked it. There was no privacy in this place, she had to make sure no one would interrupt. Whatever was on that disc should probably stay in this room only.

She inserted her 'surprise' into the player and started the program. Angelo got down on the floor, he crossed his legs and kept quiet, not averting his eyes from the formidable woman. He had sent his friend the same file, it concerned them both. His friend and Miss Parker wanted to know where the picture of their mothers had come from, and Angelo had found the answer.

Miss Parker watched the scene in awe. Raines had sent them the photo? Why? "Jesus, are there only questions and never answers in this god-forsaken place?"

With a rampart move she ripped the disc out of its slot and paced back and forth across her office. Angelo followed her with his eyes. If he would know the experience he would feel like a tennis fan at Flushing Meadow who watches two baseline players engaged in a long exchange of shots.

Thankfully, Miss Parker stopped before he got dizzy. She stood right in front of him and crouched down. "Angelo, do you know why Raines did that?"

Angelo didn't, not yet anyway. He carefully raised his hand towards her. He needed the disc. Miss Parker quickly realized what he wanted and handed him the object. Angelo would try to get a hold of the feelings Raines had on that particular day. But she also went to her briefcase and retrieved the concerning photo as well. Maybe he needed both in order to feel the connection here.

Five minutes went by, five minutes during which Angelo didn't utter a single intelligent word. But suddenly he looked up, right into a pair of impossible blue eyes.

"Raines knows." It was clear to her that whatever Angelo felt, had surprised him as well. His big eyes and frightened look told her so.

"What does he know?"

Angelo shut his eyes tight as if to collect his thoughts, he had to concentrate to express himself.

"Jarod's mother knows the truth about Catherine's plan. Raines wants the truth for himself."

The empath suddenly opened his eyes. The revelations of his own words hit him hard.

"Raines wants her. Raines sends the picture. Wants Miss Parker and Jarod to find her. Raines wants to find her, find the truth. Wants her dead."

That was probably the longest monologue Angelo had ever stuttered.

Miss Parker was shocked. Not really at the news that Raines had brought the stones into rolling. That's why they were aware of her endeavor to Carthis, he was watching her. Of course. She wasn't surprised either that the monster wanted Jarod's mother dead. But the astonishing fact was, that Margaret apparently knows about her mother's plan.

Jarod's mother was the last living soul who knew about it. That left Miss Parker with one more thing to do. Now she needed not only to find Jarod to talk to him, now she needed to find Margaret as well.



********



Jarod had almost missed the right exit that led to the motel. With screeching tires he barely made it off Route 57. He exhaled with relieve when the car was again under his complete control. The last thing he needed was any more delay because of his occupied mind. It was raining dogs in Houston. The announcer on the local radio station warned of flooded streets and said something about closed roads from and to Houston. Jarod said a prayer in the hope that his family had arrived by plane as well.

Finally he got the motel. He jumped out of the car and didn't even try to dodge the downpour. It was a loosing battle anyway. The pretender was drenched even after the few yards from the parking spot to the lobby. That was not how he wanted to meet his mother for the first time, all messed up and wet. But he'd rather do it like this than wait another second. At the lobby Jarod went straight to the reception. He asked for his reservation and while waiting for the employee to check, he turned and looked around in the hope of seeing the familiar face of his father.

"There you go sir, apartment no. 224. I'm sorry but you'll have to get outside again to get to that one. It's the last condo to the left, with the most privacy just like you requested. Oh, and your family has already arrived and moved into 223. They've arrived about two hours ago and asked for you."

"They're already there?" All his hopes and wishes in his life, all his dreams seemed to cumulate in front of his eyes. Everything would be fulfilled within the next few minutes. He could barely keep his emotions in check. Jarod thanked the receptionist and dashed out of the lobby. Not caring for the rain, not bothered by his appearance anymore he only wanted to meet his family.

In front of door No 223 Jarod stopped a moment to catch his breath. He closed his eyes and swallowed hard. Before he could knock, the door opened. The major stood in the door smiling broadly.

"Jarod! It's so good to see you, we've missed you!" Jarod's father wrapped his arms around his son in an affectionate embrace. The long lost son succumbed to the warm and heartfelt hug. He took the contact like a man would take a glass of water after spending a week in the dessert.

After a few moments Jarod entangled from his father's arms and looked up expectantly.

"Is she really here?"

"Well son, I'd say it's time for you to meet your mother. Come on in."

The pretender followed his father through but stopped right after he crossed the doorstep. His mother stood across the room in front of an open fireplace. Her eyes were focused on the arriving man. A nervous look of awe and expectation was written on her face. She seemed a little insecure on how to approach her son who she hadn't seen in more than thirty years.

Jarod knew only too well how his mother felt. But when he saw tears running down his mother's face, every feeling of his own insecurity faded. With three large steps he crossed the room and simply took her into his arms.

The whole family was present. His sister Emily, his clone Ryan and even his half brother Ethan. Jarod had only seen them out of the corner of his eyes. He would tend to them later, they had time. Now the only thing that mattered was to hold his mother as close as physically possible. His own tears came down in an unending flow, but he never had felt better in his life. Mother and son were joined together, still in front of the fire place, rocking back and forth, each comforting the other with soothing motions and silent "It's ok now. Everything is ok now."

Almost ten minutes had passed when Margaret finally chose to take a closer look at her son. Jarod took her hands into his and lead her to the couch. Everyone else now found the ability to move again too. Emily wiped her own tears of joy off her cheeks as did Ryan and the Major. Only Ethan had the broadest satisfied grin plastered on his face. He had known it would come down to this. The voice had guided him to find Margaret and finally put together what belonged together.

The whole family gathered around the table, everyone settled on the two couches. While Jarod never let go of his mother's hand and rarely took his eyes from her, he listened to the stories everyone offered. Each member told a part of how Ethan had found Margaret and all could be planned to meet here.

After the first things were told and it was clear that millions of other things could be said and done over the course of the next days or weeks, Jarod decided on bringing up something right now.

"Mom, I know you've met Catherine Parker. I've got a picture with you both on it. This photo was sent to me by Raines. Do you know why he would do something like that? You've been to Carthis, do you know something about the scrolls maybe?"

Jarod stopped briefly before he continued. He wasn't sure if he should ask this now in front of everyone, but he wanted, he needed to know. And there shouldn't be any secrets left within his family. Not anymore and never again. So he went on.

"And I'm sorry to come out like this," he looked up into his father's eyes, "but I do know I was conceived via in-vetro fertilization and ... I, ... Raines had said something that made me think. I... am I ...," Jarod had to take a deep breath before he could go on, "mom, dad are you sure that I really am the son of the both of you?"

Jarod was scared for the answer. Raines' comment on the video had opened up some awful possibilities. He told them about the "Godspeed, my children" and shivered inwardly.

His parents exchanged a knowing look before Margaret continued.

"Oh Jarod. Believe me, if I am sure of one thing, then it is that we ARE your parents. The centre's science was incredible for the time being, but the process of invetro was still a rather simple one. We both were present all the time and everything was running on a strict time table. There was no time or chance for any interference by Raines."

Again all Jarod could do was close his eyes in relieve. One more time he grabbed for his mother and hugged her tightly, a show of affection he paid to his father as well.

The thought that by any means that monster could somehow be his father was so horrible. Now he felt sure again, safe again.

When the second implication crossed his mind he had to smile. The other possibility had been something Jarod had not even dared to think about for long. He had simply suppressed that thought. Thankfully he was relieved of the burden to even consider it anymore. If Raines was not his biological father as he had briefly feared, she was not his sister either.

His mother watched the emotions playing on Jarod's face.

"About the scrolls, Jarod, no I haven't read them and neither did Catherine. We were looking for them but never got anywhere. Back then we had actually other more important things to do. We were too busy on bringing Catherine's plan into being. That is what I know. And I can only imagine that this is the reason that monster was after me. Because I know about Catherine's plan."

"What plan? Saving the children you mean? Was that her plan?"

"That and much more. I'll tell you all about it maybe over dinner? How about some nice food everyone?"

All the faces lit up, the prospect of a family dinner with all of them present was something none of them ever had before. Only Jarod was not yet ready to let go. If his mother knew about Catherine's plan then there was one more person they needed to be present.

"Mom, I hope you don't mind, but if you're going to reveal Catherine's plan I really think that Miss Parker should be here as well. After all, it's about her mother."

At this, the whole family - except Ethan - looked up. The surprise was evident, no one expected Jarod to suggest that they should meet his enemy.

"Yes Jarod, you're right. I should meet her. But I'd rather meet her alone without endangering the whole family. Maybe you could arrange something?"

The pretender smiled confidently and assured the rest of his family that it would be ok. He was happy that finally the both of them would get some answers. She deserved them just as much as he did. And the prospect of meeting her again only added to his excitement. And this time he would actually be able to give her some good news, that could count as a watershed moment in their relationship.

At least he hoped so.