Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

This is a sequel to Reality Check Isystemmechanic pro 5


Reality Check

part II version II: Rose’s Story

by Rebeckah

"Very good!" My neck was released to pat my cheek sharply enough to sting. "Now---pay close attention to this part---Raines would like me to preserve your looks to make Jarod’s cooperation easier, but don't imagine for a moment that my ability to make your life hell is reduced in the slightest. I don’t have to keep you pretty. And if I am ever again called away from my free time to deal with you I will personally make it a point to make you wish you'd never been born. Got it?"

I nodded frantically, gasping in pure terror when he pulled out a silver lighter and flicked it on.

"Good." He replied blandly, slowly waving the flame closer and closer to my face. "It would be such a shame to waste that attractive little face. But, as you know, all we really need is your womb."

Tears trickled from the corner of my eyes as he held the flame under my chin just long enough to sear the skin. With that Lyle finally seemed satisfied, flicking off the lighter and straightening up. He adjusted his jacket and left the room, the rigid set of his back belying the composure on his face. I was busy pulling the furniture back into position before the door clicked shut behind him.

I carefully replaced every item of furniture before allowing myself to retreat to the bathroom to assess the damage he'd done. The sensitive skin under my chin was reddened and blistered. The central blister had already broken and seeped a clear fluid. My stomach churned queasily as I considered just how I was going to apply anything cool to the burn. I knew the raw skin under the broken blister was going to sting like hell the moment I applied a washcloth to it but I also knew that if I didn't stop the heat I'd have more broken blisters and a deeper burn.

When Johnston arrived I was seated on the vanity chair, rewetting the washcloth for another application to the burn. Tears of pain still trickled down my face as I applied the rudimentary first aid.

"What is it this time, Eve?" He asked abruptly, his gentle face showing all the torment that my own set face couldn't. I removed the washrag and lifted my chin revealingly.

"Oh, God!" He groaned weakly. "Eve, you've got to stop upsetting Mr. Lyle. I'm sure he'll leave you alone if you just cooperate."

He had the grace to blush at the incredulous stare I gave him. I mimicked writing, and he pulled a pen out of his pocket.

"Cooperation won't do a thing for me, and you know it." I quickly scribbled on a small square of toilet paper, an idea formulating as I wrote. "Rains and Lyle are sadist who delight in the torment of others. My only hope is to escape this place. Please help me?"

His face paled dramatically.

"Oh no!" He shook his head vehemently as he whispered the denial. "No, I could never do that! Why, they'd----" His eyes glazed over at the enormity of what they might do to him.

"If you could just tell Sydney or Miss Parker I'm here---maybe they could help me." I suggested hopefully, using my large blue eyes, still swimming in tears, as weapons. "Maybe Broots could help you---you two probably have a lot in common."

"I---I don't know." He stammered timidly.

I managed to squeeze out two tears.

"I'll try!" He promised desperately.

Satisfied, I wadded up the notes and flushed them down the toilet, hoping that there weren't any camera's situated where they could have been read.

Johnson quickly cleaned the burn, smeared a white ointment on it, and taped a gauze square over it for protection.

"I'll be back tomorrow to change the dressing. Try to stay out of trouble, okay?"

I nodded my agreement, carefully keeping my unflattering opinion of his advice off of my face. It wouldn't help anything to reveal what an idiot I thought he was, and he did mean well.

Two mind dulling days later a large, ape-like woman arrived right after breakfast and indicated that I was to follow her to the Centre gym. Lyle accompanied her, much to my dismay.

"Hello, Eve." He purred ominously. "I'm so happy I could join you today, I've missed your smiling face."

’Like I've ever smiled in your presence!’ I thought grimly, working at keeping my terror at bay. ’If I ignore you, will you go away?’

"You know," he continued insinuatingly, sensing and enjoying my fear in spite of my best efforts to control it. He slid an arm over my shoulders, enjoying my wince of pain as he pressed on painful bruises, and pulled me firmly against his side. "I'm hoping we can get to know each other much better."

’I'd rather get closer to a snake.’ I thought, keeping my face as impassive as I could.

"I do so love that blank look you get." He cooed, flicking the burn on my chin and bringing fresh tears of pain to my eyes. The female gorilla ignored everything, leading us relentlessly into the bowels of the Centre.

I toyed with thought of several Karate moves that would leave him writhing on the floor. One of which was lethal. Was it worth the consequences to rid the world of his loathsome presence? I was spared the necessity of making a decision by two faint whooshing sounds.

Red-feathered darts appeared in the back of the gorilla-woman and she fell bonelessly to the floor.

’The cavalry has arrived!’ I exulted inwardly, knowing instantly that Johnson had come through for me and this was a rescue.

Lyle turned, dragging me in front of him as he moved to be a human shield. That only added to my rising spirits--it was the perfect position for me to use a hip-throw on him. Standing about fifteen feet down the hall was the trembling form of Broots; a dart gun shaking in his hands as he tried to find an opening he could use to shoot Lyle without hitting me.

"You realize you've just committed suicide, don't you, Broots?" Lyle called down the hallway at the timid looking man. Broots raised his chin defiantly---he had more gumption than most people gave him credit for.

"Let her go." Broots answered with commendable tenacity.

I caught his eye and gave him my warmest, most grateful smile, receiving a timid and uncertain half-smile in return. Then, before I could second-guess myself, I shimmied my right leg and hip behind Lyle, pushing against his chest with my elbow and right arm and with all the energy fear and anger could give me. He was on the floor before he had even registered my sudden rebellion. Sensei would have been proud of me.

"You'll die for that." He hissed furiously, his eyes narrowed with the rage that flowed so close to the surface. "You too, Broots. And if you were stupid enough to join in the pathetic excuse for a rescue you'll be dead too, sister dearest." His raised his voice to carry down the hall, not needing to see Miss Parker to know that she was somewhere near.

Another soft whoosh sounded as Lyle started to rise, causing him to stiffen comically before his eyes rolled back in his head and he collapsed with satisfying finality. Unable to resist the temptation, I gave him a hard kick in the ribs before turning to face my unseen rescuer.

"Why yes, brother dearest, I am part of this pathetic excuse for a rescue." Miss Parker murmured with saccharine sweetness, coming up to my side. She gave me a short, coldly calculating look before turning her attention to Broots.

"Well, don't just stand there, move it!" She ordered him brusquely. "They'll be here in minutes to fix the security camera malfunction. And make sure you take the darts with you. We don't want them traced back to us, now do we?"

She grabbed my arm, pulling me behind her down the hall without a moment to pause. I stumbled at first, and then coordinated my feet to keep up with her longer stride.

"I must say, I'm not impressed." She informed me matter of factly as she led the way through the maze of corridors that comprised most of the Centre. I felt my eyebrow raise mockingly, but I couldn't have responded even if had had felt the inclination to fight with her.