Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:

The one-shots aren’t in chronological order- just in the order they come to me, whatever that may be; so the timeline is purposefully murky. =)  You should be familiar with version 1 of the Madeline Series- Cooking with Madeline before reading this, so you know what’s going on.  


One-Shot #2- New York City

of the Madeline Series

By Danielle =)

Disclaimer: The Pretender universe belongs to two wonderful guys named Steven Long Mitchell and Craig Van Sickle.

~*~*~*~*~

Spring break had finally rolled around and Madeline was spending it in New York City with Sandy and her family. When they were younger, in Boston, they were usually allowed to invite the other to vacation with them.

Madeline had been overjoyed when Sandy’s spring break invitation showed her that the tradition would continue for the rest of their high school careers. She had tried numerous times to get Miss Parker to take some time off so they could both get away. She’d come to the conclusion that Park didn’t know the meaning of the words ‘rest and relaxation’, although it was clear to the young woman that her guardian was in desperate need of both.

At least there was an upside to vacationing with Sandy’s family as opposed to Miss Parker- Jarod was going to be in town between Pretends so they could spend a rare day together. Madeline woke up that morning to a near-perfect sightseeing day. Jarod was meeting her at the hotel after breakfast. They had a loose plan in place to explore the city on foot, doing whatever caught their interest.

Madeline was brushing her teeth when Jarod knocked, so Sandy greeted him at the door. As Madeline passed her on the way out, Sandy stage-whispered, “I can’t believe Miss Parker let such a great guy go!”

Madeline nodded in agreement before joining Jarod in the hall. As they made their way towards the elevators, she noticed he looked troubled, which was highly unusual when they were together, so she asked him what was wrong.

“I know Sandy is your best friend, but you really shouldn’t have told her about me and the Centre, Madeline. I don’t need any more people in danger because of me.”

“What are you talking about??” the young woman came to a halt in the middle of the hallway, thoroughly confused.

“She said she couldn’t believe Miss Parker let me go. Even though I‘ve never let her come close to catching me.”

Madeline took a minute to follow his thought processes, saying, “Oooh!” when it all clicked into place. They started walking again.

“I told her and her parents that you’re Park’s ex-boyfriend and that it was a bad breakup, so I don’t like to let her know that I still see you sometimes. That way they won’t mention my seeing you to her.”

Jarod pulled her to his side for a quick hug, saying, “That was very good thinking, Madeline!”

Anytime the genius thought she had a good idea, she couldn’t help but grin and blush.

“But I don’t understand where the ‘let him go’ part comes in.”

“She meant that Park was a fool for breaking up with you because you’re such a great guy. She let you, and your supposed relationship, go. You know, all my friends totally love you.” they paused on the sidewalk outside the hotel, “So, do you want to go left, or right?”