Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Ben’s Inn

Upstairs –Broots’ room

06.24 am




„Yes, I do! In fact... lately I have a feeling that I... *never* had a father!” She said with a sigh as she crossed her arms and walked to the window.

„Maybe Mr. Parker isn’t... wasn’t your father but he definitely meant family to you and he... raised you as his own!” He said, tho the word ’raise’ was extremely hard for him to say out.

Miss Parker just turned back to glance at him for a moment as response before she turned her attention back to the outside. The door opened up again and they both spotted Jarod as he stepped inside.

„Good Morning!” He said as he walked to the bed to check on Broots.

„Morning, Jarod!” Sydney greeted him, however it felt strange after six years on the hunt to finally have him in the near without any danger and just simply say good morning. Parker didn’t turn around, she simply tried to ignore his presence. Without success.

„So? How is he?” Sydney asked calmly, as he watched his protégé.

„He seems better! His condition was critical because of the blood loss but by now he’s better! He can regain consciousness at any moments!” Sydney nodded as response.

„And after he returns to reality, we can find out how did he get into this mess!” Sydney said, slowly walking to the window, where Miss Parker stood.

„Yeah. All we know is that he found and archive that was... need-to-know!” Sydney nodded again but watched Parker from the corner of his eyes. She just stood there, lost in thoughts, not really interested what they were talking, however Jarod’s next sentence got her attention and she slightly turned her head.

„Do you think he found something about me?”

„Considering that it almost got him killed... quite possible!” Sydney replied.

Suddenly Broots began to stir, startling them. Jarod and Sydney was on his side in a minute and Parker, hugging herself, slowly made her way to the bed as well.

„Welcome back, Mr. Broots!” Jarod said, as he finally opened his eyes. He blinked several times but he finally adjusted to the brightness.

„Ja-jarod?” He asked surprised, his voice hoarse from the lack of use.

„Hello, Broots!” Sydney said with a small smile on his face.

„Man, you have no idea how good it is to finally see familiar faces!” He said in his typical rambling style before he turned his gaze and spotted Miss Parker standing behind Sydney. „Miss Parker...”

„Good Morning, sleeping beauty!” She said, raising an eyebrow with a small smile on her lips.

„How are you feeling, Broots?” Sydney asked.

„Not so good... but I’m alive!” He said.

„You’re going to be okey, Broots. You scared us but the bullets didn’t...”

„Bullets?” He asked surprised and glanced down at his arm. The bandage was slightly bloody, it got soaked. „Oh God...” They heard him say, panic raising in his voice.

„It’s okey, Broots! It’s not so bad as it seems! The bullets went through only your arm, they didn’t hit any important organs. But you need to rest!” Sydney reassured him.

„Oh God...!” He said, closing his eyes.

„Geez, Broots, Debbie wouldn’t panic so much!” Parker said, staring down at him and shaking her head.

„Daddy!” They all heard Debbie cry out before she ran into the room and hugged her father.

„Ow...” he hissed in pain but he didn’t care and embraced his daughter with his right arm as tight as it was possible. „God...Debbie... I missed you so much!”

Parker took a deep breath and turned away. Jarod stood up and looking at Sydney they both thought the same. They slowly took a step back and walked out the door, followed by Parker.





Ben’s Inn
Upstairs –Corridor
06.37 am



Silently closing the door behind, Jarod turned to look at Sydney and Miss Parker. He noticed that she regained her usual façade while she stood next to Sydney.

„He seems fine!” He said.

„Yes!” Sydney agreed.

„And it’s finally time to find out what stirred up the hornet's nest!” Miss Parker said. Jarod just grinned at her before he replied.

„I’m going to bring up my lap top here, so Broots won’t have to come down whenever we need his help!” He said as he took a step to walk away but Parker went to stand into his way, her arms crossed in front of her chest.

„Not so fast, Lab Rat!” Jarod looked at her confused. „First, I want your cell-phone!”

„My what?” He asked, his brows furrowed as he crossed his arms himself.

„Don’t give me that look, I only asked your phone and not... something else!” She said, raising an eyebrow as a small mischievous smile appeared on her face for a moment. In one moment she pushed him away and in the other one she was being mischievous with *that* look. Jarod didn’t know whether he should have been angry or glad.

„Why do you need my *cell-phone*?” He asked with a small smile on his face.

„I know it’s gonna be a shocker but...” She leant forward and finished it in a deep voice. „... I wanna make a phone call!” Jarod just rolled his eyes.

„I should have asked it straight away. Who do you want to call?” He said smiling, bending his head to the side slightly. She knew that he was imitating her and returned the gesture as she replied.

„Not your business!”

„My phone. My business!”

„I want it because it’s a secure line! But if you don’t want to give it to me then I assume you won’t mind if I ask Ben to use his phone...”

„Alright!” He said finally, a bit pissed off. „It’s down in the living-room!”

Without anything else, she turned around and started to walk away. Jarod just raised his eyebrows before he threw a quick glance at Sydney who just shrugged his shoulders. Jarod let out a sigh and followed her.




The Centre
Tech Lab
Same time




„I’m so-sorry Mr. Lyle! We are working!” A tech, typing at the computer, replied.

„Then work harder! I want to be informed even of the slightest trails!” He said angrily.

„Su-sure, sir!”

„Call me if you have something!” He said before he stormed out.




Ben’s Inn
Living room
06.40 am




Storming into the room, Parker noticed Major Charles, Zoe and Ethan already in the room. She had to admit, it wasn’t easy for her to accept their presence –except Ethan of course- but it annoyed her even more that they seemed to have gotten comfortable around her, they didn’t even feel in danger. Her brows furrowed as she glanced around, looking for the cell-phone.

Jarod, followed by Sydney, stepped in, in time to see her searching. She turned to Jarod, raising an eyebrow expectantly. Sometimes it really annoyed him how impatient she was and made a mental note to *talk* about it with her later.

„Good Morning, son!” The Major said, putting down the newspaper that he was reading. Zoe, sitting next to his father, watched Jarod turn toward them, as Sydney walked in to stand next to him.

„Good Morning, dad!” He replied as he was about to tell Parker where the phone was when he spotted her walk up to the table and reach for it.

Zoe’s eyes widened as she watched Miss Parker picking up Jarod’s cell-phone before she opened it. She frowned, thinking that Jarod didn’t recognize it.

„Hey!” She said, trying to get her attention but Parker didn’t *seem* to notice her.

Zoe watched as she started to dial a number and she couldn’t let her do it. In spite of the others she didn’t trust her and the fact that she was still the enemy and had *Jarod’s phone* pissed her off. She was a fast-acting person herself and jumped up from her seat. She reached out a hand to grab the phone from her but Parker took a step back, snatching it out of her grasp, finally looking up.

„Jarod she stole your phone!” Parker let out a low chuckle as she turned away, shaking her head.

„Zoe it’s oke...” But Zoe didn’t listen to him because Parker’s ignoring behavior annoyed her even more and she jumped forward. In spite of the ’look’, Parker did pay attention just like always and stepped away again suddenly, making Zoe almost crash into the bigger table that was standing in the middle of the room.

„Slow down, Xena! You may hurt yourself and Loverboy will get a damaged toy!” Jarod was on her side immediately, knowing that he had to interfere before anyone could get hurt indeed. Correction, before Zoe could get hurt, Jarod thought.

„Zoe! Are you alright?”

„Yes, I am! But she won’t be...”

„Pez Head, would you remove the battery from her?” Jarod threw a sharp look at Parker before he turned to the other woman.

„Zoe! *I* gave her the phone!”

„Have you gone crazy? She’s going to inform them!”

„No she won’t! We have to... trust her!” He said, looking up at Parker.

She just raised the phone up and pushed the dial button. She put it to her ear, waiting for the person to answer it. When he finally did, she didn’t break eye-contact with Jarod, just raised her chin as she talked.

„Sam! It’s me!” She said with a satisfied smile on her face. „[_] Yes, I am!”

She threw a cold look at Zoe before she turned around and walked up to Sydney, standing close to him, almost touching. It didn’t bother him, it wasn’t unusual that she entered his personal space, just like he entered hers. However she barely talked to him about her problems or feelings, unconsciously she often let him get that close. He knew that she wanted to tell him something, so he just stood there silently, watching her talking into the phone.

„No, I don’t want you to pick me up... [_] Sam, stop it, I’m the one talking!” She said angrily. „I want you to keep your eyes open and find out if Lyle has any leads on Jarod, Broots or us!” She said. „You have 6 hours! Then I’m going to call you! [_] Yeah!” And with that she disconnected the line.

She walked back to Jarod and slapped the phone into his open palm, staring at Zoe before she returned to Sydney. Zoe just let out a sigh and turned to Jarod.

„I’m sorry! I...”

„It’s okey! I know it’s... hard to trust people from a place that... let’s just say gave bad impressions in you!” He said, putting a hand on her shoulder. Parker just rolled her eyes and turned to Sydney, talking to him quietly while Jarod comforted Zoe.

„I have a bad feeling, Syd!”

„Lyle?” She just nodded before she turned back to Jarod.

„I really don’t want to disturb but could we finally get to the bottom of this damned mess? But only of course if Prince Charming could spare some time!” Jarod suppressed a sigh and after releasing Zoe, walked to the table to gather up his lap top. After closing it and pulling it out of the outlet on the wall, he turned back and walked up to them, stopping in front of her.

„Prince Charming is at *your* service!” He replied and Parker knew that it had another meaning. Raising her chin, she turned and walked out.

„Perfect!” And with that she disappeared. Jarod cast a quick look at Sydney before he followed her as his lips curled into a small, predatory smile.

Zoe shook her head at her own stupidity before she sat down on the couch again. She ran her hand through her hair as she let out a sigh. The Major just smiled and turned to look at her as he placed a hand on hers which lay in her lap and patted it gently.

„It’s okey! It was hard for me as well to... learn to believe in people after my experiences with the Centre! And...”

„I know, I know! It’s just the fact that... she *is* the Centre here...”

„I wouldn’t be sure of that! Zoe, not every single person wants to work there but they have no other choice! Just like Jarod! If I were you, I’d surely want to know how the hell did she get into the Centre in the first place!” He said before he stood up and after picking up his empty mug from the coffee table, walked out.

Zoe just stared after him, pondering what he had just said. A small smile appeared on Sydney’s face before he followed suit and left the room to find Jarod and Parker before they could have killed each other





The Centre
Lyle’s office
06.47 am




Leaning back in his chair, Lyle sat still with his left hand whirling around a cell-phone on top of the desk. He just stared at it as if he hadn’t seen anything like that. Suddenly leaning forwards, he opened it. He finally had something from his sister. He finally had something personal. It was a belonging that she always had with her just like her Smith and Wesson. He raised it up and ran his leather-covered index finger along the speaker. He remembered whenever he saw her talking into it, her mouth so close to it and for a moment he wished he had been that phone just to be able to feel her breath coming from her soft lips.


However his type was Asian, he wasn’t a moron and he found his sister extremely attractive. He took the opportunity to spend some fairly entertaining time with other non-Asian women. For example Bridget. A small, sarcastic smile appeared on his face, shaking his head as he thought of their time together. That bitch did everything just to get what she wanted, just to step forward. God only knows how many men took advantage of her, how many men did she satisfy in bed just to achieve her goals and still it wasn’t enough. She could never hold a candle to his sister. There were times when he cursed God or whoever was responsible for the fact that she was actually related to him. He could have such an easy way then if they hadn’t been brother and sister.

His sister. A presence. An individual indeed. Her attitude gave everyone the impression of pure power, her strong personality earned respect for her and there wasn’t anyone who could resist her when she wanted something, even if it was a superior. He still remembered her fight with Mutambo when Jarod kidnapped Mr. Parker. The fire in her eyes that he admired so much was burning with an intensity that even Mutambo didn’t know what to do to her. She had a power and she was well aware of it. And she didn’t sell her body for it. Her amazing body, he thought.

And now she was with Jarod. *His* sister was with that Lab Rat and he knew that there was no way in hell that he didn’t realize how good she looked. He may have lived in isolation for 30 years but he had been in the outside world for 6 years and no matter how hard he tried to escape he was sure he wasn’t blind. Anger rose in him as this thought crossed his mind. He already had issues with that pretender and this was another one. Another reason to have revenge on him.

Raising the cell-phone up again a thought cross his mind as his brows furrowed. He pushed a button and started to read her phone-book. It was time to finally get a little more personal with his sister and have a better look at her contacts, he thought.





Ben’s Inn
Upstairs –Broots’ room
07.01 am





„Ready!” Jarod said, looking at the screen. He finally set up everything, so they could finally start the search with Broots’ help. He straightened up and Sydney walked to stand next to him at the table in Broots’ room.

Miss Parker stood at the window all the while Jarod activated his lap top and entered the Centre mainframe again. She couldn’t deny it any more, she was extremely anxious to find out what did Broots discover. She made her way to the tech who was lying on the bed and tilted her head and finally asked what everyone wanted to know.

„Broots! What the hell happened to you?” She asked, her arms folded.

„A lot happened to me Miss Parker!” Broots said but when he looked up at her, he noticed that she wasn’t as amused as him. „Erm... uhm...” he cleared his throat nervously and noticed that he had Sydney’s and Jarod’s undivided attention as well.

„I-I uhm... I think i-it’s going to be a long story!” He said, looking up at Miss Parker again.

„I’m listening!” She said in a sweet tone that he found extremely frightening since Miss Parker and sweet couldn’t be mentioned together.

„O-okey!” He said as he shifted to sit up, leaning back against the headboard. „Where should I start?”

„Possibly at the... beginning!” She said, growing impatient. Sydney, noticing it, stepped up to her, looking at Broots.

„Tell us from Monday night, when you stayed in long!”

„Uh oh... sure! Well I... uhm thought I make an attempt at making you happy so I stayed in long that night to try and find something on Jarod!” He said, looking up at Miss Parker but then lowered his gaze as he went on. „Bu-but it seemed impossible!”

„Huh, you think?” Parker asked sarcastically but then nodded with her head, indicating to go on.

„Uh, well...it was almost midnight and I still couldn’t find anything that might interest you. After a while I gave up on the Jarod thing and... I thought I check on Centre things whether they had something... new or secret going on!” He noticed Miss Parker’s confused expression. „Ah... I mean... just like Mr. Cox or something like that. I wanted to find out if there was going to be any changes regarding us! Bu-but first of all I had no idea where to search and I decided to check out several parts of the whole Centre system that I have never seen so I ended up at the personal data files...and I... erm... uhm... „he suddenly flushed and turned away.” ...after several unsuccessful attempts to try and open Jarod’s and... uh... Miss Parker’s...I had to acknowledge that I should have left it. But I decided to give another try and I managed to open up Sydney’s!”

Both Jarod and Parker turned to the old man and Sydney noticed Parker raising her left eyebrow. She didn’t know whether she was disappointed or just angry because she suspected it that Sydney had another secret. But what surprised her and she was sure –judging by his face- Jarod had the same feeling, that it was something really big because it almost cost Broots’ life. Sydney just shrugged his shoulders and looked back Broots.

„And?” Parker asked, still looking at Sydney, slowly turning her gaze back to the tech.

„There was actually nothing in it! Nothing personal –just things that I’ve known!” He said, looking up at him. „But at the end of the file there was a short note and a link. It said that ’More Information Highly Confidential’ and ’Closed Down By Dr. William Raines’. I clicked on it and it asked the password. I started my own code-breaking program but it took some time and I was already tired so I... went to get some coffee from the automat. When I returned I sto-stopped at the doorway because there he was!”

„He?” Sydney asked.

„Lyle!” Parker said and Broots nodded in agreement.


„Yes! And Willie was with him. And then I heard what he said.” He said and they saw his hand tremble a bit.

„What did he say?” Jarod asked in a deep growl.

„He finished talking into the phone then turned to Willie as they stood at the computer. He said that find me and make sure I don’t utter a single word to anyone –anymore! Then he told him to prevent me from getting in contact with you...” he said, looking up at Miss Parker. „... or with Sydney. My first and only thought was Debbie. I remembered that she slept at her best friend then... I ran...”

„Why didn’t you call me immediately?” Parker asked, her brows furrowed.

„I was in panic! My only aim was to get out of the Centre as soon as possible and it was easy because they didn’t seem me when I overheard what they were talking about. By the time I got out and was on my way away from there, my phone-card hadn’t work anymore! Just like when I was running from Damon! I was with my... bike so they-they were faster!” He explained and looked up at Parker again. „I went to your house but I spotted three Centre-cars and even Willie was there. I could slip away but I knew more sweepers would have been waiting for me at Sydney’s place, not to mention my own! I spent the night at a bus station. Man, the people thought I was homeless. Then I went to Debbie’s school to find her but she was already at the lesson. I waited there all day but a sweeper spotted me and I... had to run.”

„Okey but how did you end up here, in Maine?” Jarod asked.

„I ran back to the bus station again and I spent all my change to buy a ticket to the next bus that was leaving. When I realized that it was leaving town... it was too late and all I could think of was Debbie... that I left her behind. When it was sure that the sweepers lost me, I got off and went to find the first phone-box. I spent my last coin to call Miss Parker and ask her to take care of Debbie. A-and you know the rest of it!” He said.





Ben’s Inn
The Kitchen
07.03 am




„Did you enjoy the coffee, Major?” Ben asked as he watched him get up from the table.

„Oh yes, Ben, it was perfect, thank you very much!” Jarod’s father smiled back but the phone on the counter rang, startling them. Ben stood up and picked up the phone.


„Hello! This is Ben’s inn! [__] No problem, sir! [__] Exactly! Any time you want to spend your vacation at a peaceful little Inn, we are waiting for you! [__] Oh, it’s in Maine! [__] Sure! Again, no problem, sir! Have a nice day!” And with that he hung up. He noticed Major Charles’s confused expression.

„Oh it was just a... nice young man, who accidentally dialed the wrong number! I just... took advantage of the opportunity to promote my Inn!” He said and the Major let out a short laugh.




The Centre
Mr. Lyle’s office
Same time





Lyle shut Parker’s cell-phone and leant back in his chair as a huge, evil smile appeared on his face.


„Gotcha, dear sister!” He whispered to himself before he picked up his own phone and dialed a number. „Tell Mr. Cox I want to see him!” He said and hung up.



To be continued…























































Chapter End Notes:
I know it’s not THAT exciting yet, but I promise things will get *fired up* very soon!

Feedbacks are always welcome! :)