Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I don’t own these charaters, they belong to NBC and MTM and I dont make money of this...and so on!

Please note that this story was NOT corrected by a beta-reader! I am going to have one for my next fic but for this last time –please ignore my mistakes, considering I’m not native english!

THank you guys lots for the reviews!!! :)))))


*************

Ben’s Inn
Upstairs- Miss.Parker’s room
21.28 pm


„Yes it was!” Miss Parker said as she sat down on the bed, watching Sydney slowly walk around, observing the room. „Ben told me he kept everything at place in case she... she returned one day!”

Sydney spotted something in the jewerly-box and for a moment Parker thought he saw emotions on his face. But those were rare. Being a psychiatrist and probably also because of his experiences in the Centre, he didn’t show his feelings either. However he at least told sometimes, letting several people know but not often.

He reached into it and took out a beautiful, flashing golden necklace. There was a heart medallion on it, as beautiful as the lace itself. He held it up into the moonlight, taking the heart into his hand and he stared at it for a moment.

„It belonged to my mother. I... didn’t see her wear it or I just can’t remember, I don’t know but Ben told me that it was very dear for her but for some reason she weared it only here. I asked him whether he gave it to her but he said that... all that my mother told him was that she got it from a very special person!” She said gently, surprising herself with talking so openly but then she realized that it was Sydney who... knew her mother longer than even herself. After all they were friends, he had the right to get to know that part of her mother.

Sydney just threw a small smile at her before he reached out a hand to place it back to the box, when Parker jumped up from her seat.

„No!” Sydney looked at her surprised as she walked up to him. Taking the necklace into her hand, she stared at it while she talked, not daring to look at him. „Listen Syd, I know you were friends and... you two were obviously *good* friends. Daddy barely let anything for *me* to keep from my mother, exept the photos, so I know that you have nothing from her...” She said, finally lifting uncertain eyes at him.

„You want to give it to me?” He asked surprised.

„I know that... we often have fights but... take it as a peace-offering.”

„Don’t you think, Catherine would have wanted it to give it to you?”

„Well, we won’t find out that one anymore!” She said as he took his hand and placed the necklace into his palm.

„Thank you!” Sydney said, watching his hand. Parker cleared her throat and released him before she walked back to the bed. The gentle moment was over, it was getting uncomfortable for her.

„I think I’d better go now! You need to rest!” Sydney said as he slowly walked to the door.

„Yeah!” She said, throwing a quick glance at him. He looked at her for the last time before he stepped out, closing the door behind him.

Sydney stood there unmoving, outside her room. Lifting his hand, he opened his palm to look at the jewel in it and he took a deep breath. If only she knew what that necklace meant for him, he thought.



Ben’s Inn
Upstairs –Jarod’s room
21.29 pm



„I’m sorry...!” Jarod said, not daring to look at Zoe.

„For what? Ah c’mom Jarod, I want it... you don’t have to aplogize...!” She said, putting her arms around his neck again.

„No... I can’t do that...” He said, easing her arms away from him. Lifting his eyes, he added. „I don’t want it...”

„You don’t find me desirable?” She asked worried.

„Oh, you *are* desirable but... it’s not because of you! It’s because of me! I...”

„I know Jarod! You don’t love me!” His head snapped up.

„I do love you Zoe...”

„Jarod! You were in love with me and you... still ’love’ me but... not the same way you love someone else, do you? I’ve... somehow always felt that there was a barrier between us.”

„I didn’t intentionally put up those walls, I just...”

„Jarod!” She said, raising up his head with her both hands. „I could have made you happy! But I couldn’t have... felt what you feel because I... didn’t go through it! In the short time I’ve known you I... noticed that you have a dark side that you never showed me and that you were desperatly trying to find someone who can *understand* your feelings... your pain. But the fact is that... you already had that person! I have no idea who she is but... I have a feeling something keeps you back from... being together with her.”

„Is that so obvious?” He asked silently.

„Oh yeah!” Zoe said, letting out a chuckle. „You saved my life Jarod! And I’m happy that I could make you happy for a short time, in return!” She said smiling. Jarod just smiled at her before she pulled her into a hug. Pulling away, he gently squeezed her arms.

„I need some icecream! I’m going down to the kitchen!” Zoe just let out a short laugh before she nodded.



Ben’s Inn
Upstairs –Corridor
21.30 pm



Closing the door behind him, Jarod turned to head to the stairs when he spotted Sydney standing in Parker’s doorway, staring at a necklace in his hand. He had never seen that kind of expression on his face. Sydney always tried to hide his feelings from him, not to distract him. And now he saw pain on his features and it worried him.

„Sydney!” He said, slowly walking up to him. His mentor’s head snapped up, looking at him. „Are you alright?”

„Sure!” He said, regaining his usual expression. He saw Jarod glancing down at the necklace. „It was Catherine Parker’s! Miss Parker gave it to me!” He said, handing it to him. Jarod just raised his eyebrows, surprised, making Sydney shrug his shoulders.

„You know this necklace, don’t you?” He asked, giving it back to him. Sydney seemed reluctant to reply but when he opened his mouth to speak they heared a noise from the other end of the corridor. Turning there, they spotted JJ, Jarod’s clone, heading toward them.

„Hey!” Jarod said.

„Hi!” He said, stopping in front of them. They both looked at the boy expectantly. „Oh I’m just going to Debbie! Her father is still unconscious and I thought I’m going to spend some time with her on his side.”

„Actually you both should have a rest! She’s been on his side for hours! It’s going to take a while before he wakes up. Probably in the morning.”

„Yes I know but...you know Jarod, she finally got her father back!” Jarod just nodded. „But I’m going to try and convince her!” He said before he disappeared in the room where Broots was resting.

„I think I’m going to my room too!” Sydney said.

„Okey! Good night Sydney!” Sydney just nodded before he stepped into the opposite room, facing Parker’s. Jarod was about to turn around when he realized that he was facing Parker’s door. He stared at it for a moment before he stepped away, heading to the stairs.



Ben’s Inn
Kitchen
21.37 pm


Walking into the kitchen, Jarod’s first and only goal was the fridge. First his mind didn’t even register the fact that the lights were on. Storming in, he opened it and took out what he was longing for. Ice cream. A small smile appeared on his face as he looked at it.

„Ah, you and your ice cream addiction!” Spinning around, he spotted his father sitting at the kitchen table with a mug in his hand. He let out a relieved sigh. The Major watched his son as he slowly made his way to him and wondered what could have they done to him in that place all those years if he’s still ready to defend himself from a sudden attack even when he knew that it was his family around him.

„Dad! I didn’t even notice you!” He said, sitting down opposite him. „What are you drinking?”

„Oh it’s just... tea! I always had that habbit... to drink tea before the night. It makes me sleep better. Don’t know why!” Jarod just nodded as a smile apperead on his face before he lowered his gaze and silence settled down between them. „What’s bothering you, son?” The Major asked after a while.

„Uhm... nothing important!” He said, not wanting to talk about it.

„I wish your mother was here!” His father said, making Jarod look up at him. „She always knows how to comfort people. She always has a good advice for every one... in every problem.” He said smiling.

„We are going to find her!” Jarod said, reaching out a hand.

„I know! I never gave up on the search for you and Emily either and see, it was worth the trouble! Hell it was worth it!” He said, patting his son’s hand.

„Tell me something about her. How did you meet?” Jarod asked and watched as a smile appeared on his father’s face, remembering. „Was it love at first sight?”

„Yes, you can say that!” The Major said. „She was beautiful! She took my breath away when I met her and I wasn’t the only one. I still thank God that she chose me!” Jarod just listened to his father silently. „She never really gave a damn about the guys around her because she wasn’t the kind to... have superficial relationships with men. She was looking for the right person for her. And that was that got me! Ever since I can remember I wanted a woman who made me feel like your mother did. I wanted a woman who I can trust and I knew that felt the same way as me. And she was that. I found the person that I was looking for in your mother and I never wanted to let her go!” The Major patted Jarod’s hand again as he looked into his eyes. „Listen to me, son. When you find the woman who you know that understands you, feels the same way as you do and... knows everything about you without telling it... never let her go. Your mother and I had difficulties in our relationship but we got through it and she became my other half! I never had to explain anything to her because she knew what I was thinking. We often had different opinions but... that’s what made us even more interesting and attractive to each other! I wouldn’t want to change anything in my life because I know that we are meant to be together. Well of course... if I could... I would prevent the Centre from taking you and your brother...” He said trailing off and Jarod lowered his gaze. Pulling his hand back, the Major raised his mug before he took a sip. „All I want to say is, son, that no matter how hard it seems, if you *feel* inside...” he said, placing his fist to his own heart. „... that you found the *right* person... then don’t give it up because there can be a time when your regret will be too late!” Jarod lifted his eyes to look at his father and nodded. He watched as the Major stood up and placed the empty mug to the sink before he turned around to leave.

„I know that your... case is more difficult than ours were because it must be hard to win the enemy’s heart but I have a feeling that she’s the one that worth the trouble and once you got her, you will find your other half just like I did with your mother!” The Major said, making a stunned expression appear on Jarod’s face. He didn’t know what to say and just watched his father wink at him before he walked out. Was that *so* obvious, he thought.



Ben’s Inn
Upstairs –Jarod’s room
21.49 pm


Walking into the room, Jarod spotted Zoe asleep on his bed. He silently walked up to the bed before he turned off the lights, trying not to wake her. He pulled up the blankets and covered her before he laid down himself.

„Is it okey if I stay for the night? I don’t want to be alone!” He heared her sleepy voice.

„Sure!” He said as he reached out a hand and let Zoe lay her head on his chest.

He put her arms around her and closed his eyes. But he couldn’t find sleep. He couldn’t stop thinking of Parker and wished that it was her that he had been holding in his arms that night.



Ben’s Inn
Upstairs- Miss Parker’s room
Same time



Parker just tossed and turned in her bed, she simply couldn’t sleep. She couldn’t stop thinking of the feel of his lips against her skin, his breath on her and his touch on her waist. But what bothered her the most was that Jarod was right. She was barely able to deny it any more but she knew she couldn’t let him or anyone know that she did feel something for him... and it scared her.



Ben’s Inn
Living Room
Next day –06.11 am



However it was still quite early, Sydney was already sitting on the couch, reading a newspaper. He had never done that. Maybe at the weekends but that was rare as well. This whole situation would have even been pleasant... if he hadn’t been worried. He was glad to know that not only Jarod but by that time even Miss Parker was out of the Centre but... they were after them and it was more dangerous than being there. This way the Centre knew that they had their loyalities somewhere else and betraying the Centre was perilous.

Interrupting his thoughts, he saw Major Charles stepping into the room. Spotting Sydney, he walked to the opposite couch and sat down, just like the night before.

„Morning!” The Major greeted him friendly.

„Good Morning!” Sydney replied, closing the newspaper.

Suddenly the door opened up again and as they turned there, they saw Miss Parker storm in. She left her car-keys there last night and she intended to find it. Spotting it on the table, she walked in and picked it up. Her expression told that she was peevish again. Hell, when wasn’t she, Sydney asked himself, suppressing a chuckle. Watching her, he noted that she seemed ready to start the day but Sydney knew that one thing was still missing.

„Good Morning, Miss Parker!” The Major greeted her as she watched her turn around.

„Mhm!” Was all her reply, not even looking at him before she walked out. The Major just turned to look at Sydney.

„She will communicate after coffee!” He said, reassuring him. The Major smiled and let out a chuckle.

„You seem to know her very well! Did you know her for the same... long time just like my son?” This one hit him a bit, not only because that he was having this surreal conversation with *Jarod’s* father again but this time it was about Miss Parker too.

„I’ve known her since she was a little girl, so yes. But she wasn’t around as often as Jarod.”

„Oh you’re already up so early?” They heared a voice coming from the door. Turning there, they spotted Ben standing in the doorway.

„Oh I’m often... on the road so I’m used to it.” The Major explained before he and Ben looked at Sydney.

„We start at 6 am in the Centre!” He answered.

„Oh!” Was Ben’s reply. „I made coffee, it’s in the kitchen!” He said.



Ben’s Inn
Upstairs-corridor
06.16 am


Opening the door, Zoe stepped out of Jarod’s room with a smile on her face. She heared Jarod letting out a chuckle as he followed her, smiling.

„I’d better put on some clothes!” She said, obviously in a good mood. In that moment, they looked up just to see Miss Parker pass them. Jarod looked at her but all he got was a quick, cold glare as she walked away, seeming unaffected. He watched her walk to her room, ready to step in.

„Excuse me Zoe!” Jarod said before he went after her.



Ben’s Inn
Upstairs- Miss Parker’s room
06.17 am



Parker droppped her car-keys on the table and turned around to walk out again when she spotted Jarod standing in the doorway before he knocked on the doorframe and stepped in.

„What?!” She asked irritated. Jarod closed the door behind him, trying to get some privacy.

„We need to talk about last night!”

„Why would we need to talk about last night? There’s *nothing* to talk about!”

„Yes there is and you know it! I’m tired of your ongoing rejections, Parker!”

„Ohh I saw you survived it, you even consoled yourself with someone! Why don’t you go back to your *girlfriend* and have your fun with her?!” She said in a neutral voice as she walked to the door.

„Zoe is not my girlfriend and nothing happened last night. She spent the night there. *Sleeping*!”

„Yeah sure and I’m Mata Hari!” She slightly opened the door but Jarod was suddenly on her side and slammed it shut, making Parker raise an eyebrow.

„If you’re really not interested, then why do I have to explain it?” Jarod asked, leaning closer. Parker just raised her chin.

„Yeah, why?” She asked, playing numb before she opened the door vehemently and stepped out.

Jarod opened his mouth to say something after her when it suddenly occured to him. Miss Parker *never* walked away. She was the one to get into fight whenever she had an opinion and she was the one to provoke people and this was already the third time when she literally walked away because this topic was unpleasant for her. Gotcha, Jarod thought as a small, predatory smile appeared on his face.




Ben’s Inn
Upstairs –Broots’ room
06.20 am



Miss Parker silently opened the door and stepped in. She immediately caught sight of Debbie, curled up next to her father, clad in her clothes. She probably fell asleep and spent the whole night there. Parker silently made her way to the bed and bent down to gently brush her hair away from her face before she whispered.

„Debbie...” Miss Parker watched the young girl stir before she opened her eyes.

„Miss Parker?” She asked, rubbing her eyes.

„You fell asleep here! Go, get refreshed and changed!” She said silently as she sat down on the bed.

„But Dad...”

„I’m going to stay here while you’re gone, okey?” She said as she helped her to sit up. Debbie stood up and smiled at Miss Parker before she turned around to leave. But changing her mind, she suddenly spun around and hugged her. Parker didn’t know the reason why Debbie was hugging her. She was surprised but she slightly put her arms around the young girl. After several second Parker gently pushed her away.

„Thank you!” Debbie said finally as she stepped back.

„For what?” Parker asked, confused.

„You promised me that you bring my Dad back! And you kept your promise!” Parker didn’t know what to say. Debbie had opened up a part of her heart but it still wasn’t easy for her to show her emotions because every time she did it, she got hurt. Letting out a small sigh, a smile appeared on her face before she replied.

„Of course! But I didn’t do it alone!” Debbie just smiled back as Miss Parker ran her hand gently down on her arm. „Now go!” She said firmly and Debbie was out of the door in a second.

Turning her head, she noticed that Broots was still unconscious but at least he looked better, he wasn’t so pale any more however his condition was still critical. He had lost a lot of blood but they couldn’t bring him to hospital. The Centre would find them and it would definately mean his death. Staying at Ben’s Inn, he had chance.

Parker let out a bitter chuckle. Sydney had told her that when she was at death’s door because of her perforated ulcer, Broots stayed at her side for hours, just to prevent her from being alone and now it seemd that this was her chance to return it. She couldn’t do anything but stare at him. Broots was her best friend even if she never showed it to him. Actually he was her only friend. Her thoughts were interrupted when she heared someone step in. Turning her head, she watched Sydney walk in with a mug in his hand.

„I thought you’d like some coffee!” He said, stopping in front of her. Parker took the mug from his hands after she stood up.

„Thanks!” She said as she walked to the armchair and sat down.

„How is he?”

„The same I guess!... I’ve been here only for 5 minutes.” She said before taking a sip from the coffee. Sydney just stood at the bed, watching Broots for a long moment.

„But at least he’s alive!” He said as he turned back to Parker in time to see her place her mug down onto the small table next to the chair she was sitting in.

„Yeah. He’s alive in spite of the fact that brother dearest was busy trying to achieve the opposite! But as long as I’m concerned, he won’t get to him even if I have to break a fingernail!” She said, slowly walking up to him.

„I’m sure, Broots would appreciate this doing for him however I’m a little bit surprised at you.” He said, looking at her. „I would have never presumed that you... would do *that* much for him!” He said calmly. Of course he did presume it but he wanted to find out the reason of this sudden change of attitude.

„Sure!” She said shrugging as she looked into his eyes. „We both know how much Debbie would suffer if she lost her father!” Sydney just nodded, suppressing a smile. There wasn’t any change of attitude. She managed to speak from her heart, covering it with Debbie.

„And you know how does it feel to lose a father!” He said with a neutral face. She just stared into his eyes as response. This wasn’t a very easy topic but she at least knew that Sydney didn’t say it to hurt her. It was a statement and... a truth.




Ben’s Inn
Living room
06.23 am



Stepping into the living room, Major Charles spotted his son sitting on the couch, busy with the lap top. He seemed lost in his work but the Major walked up to the sofa and took a seat next to him, leaning forward to see what his son was doing.

„What are you busy with?”

„Oh... it’s just... you’re up so early?” He asked.

„Yeah, I couldn’t sleep. But I should ask the same!” His father said, leaning back on the couch.

„Uhm... you know I’m always up that early!”

„Yeah I know. You never sleep long, tho you should. This lifesytle is unhealthy.”

„*The Centre* is unhealthy! And I can’t help it. I can’t take any sleeping pills in case I have to move fast!” His father just sadly nodded, cursing inside the Centre for who knows how many times for it’s existence.

„So? You didn’t reply!” The Major said, nodding toward the screen.

„Oh... well I think it’s finally time to... find out the reason for the termination order on Broots!” He said, slowly turning back to the lap top.



To be continued...