Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Ben’s Inn
Living Room
Same time



„My god...!” They heared Miss Parker gasp as another shot rang out.
„Broots! Parker!” Sydney desperately tried to reach them but they didn’t reply.






Maine
Portland
A small pier
18.59 pm




Parker spotted two sweepers running toward them from the other part of the area. Kneeling down, she started to shake Broots to check if he was alright.

„Broots!” Reaching to his neck, she let out a relieved sigh as she noted that he had a pulse. She slapped him again to try to bring him back to reality. Broots opened his eyes as he grabbed to his right shoulder. „Get up Scooby, we gotta get outta here!”

Parker grabbed him at the collar and tried to pull him to a standing position. When he was finally standing again, he leant against the wooden-boards for support. Glancing at the sweepers Miss Parker saw one of them raise the gun again. She didn’t need more as she turned toward them, raised her gun and aimed. Parker pulled the trigger, shot and hit. The sweeper fell to the ground, dropping the gun from his hand.

„C’mon! The others are probably here as well!”

„Oh my god, Miss Parker, they are going to kill me!” Broots said with panic in his voice. Parker glanced at him angrily and noticed that he was too pale. She grabbed him at his other arm and pulled him away.

„They gotta get through me first!”

She tried to pull him after her but he was in the verge of losing consciousness. Lifting his left arm, she put it around her neck to give him support.

„C’mon Broots! Don’t you dare to give it up on me!” She said as she spotted a boathouse not so far away from them.

Glancing back she saw two other sweepers reach the injured one that she shot. They had to move fast, she thought, as she pulled Broots toward the structure.

Once inside the boathouse, Parker helped Broots to sit down on a plank. She quickly turned back to the door and closed it to peek outside through the holes on it. Her eyes went wide and she just stood there, stunned. Broots glanced up at her and saw the mixture of anger and shock slowly appear on her face. He was too familiar with that expression and knew that it could have meant only trouble. He was just about to ask what happened when she gasped.



Ben’s Inn
Living Room
19.06 pm



„Son! What’s wrong?!” The Major asked as he glanced at Jarod’s face.

„Dammit! I think I found out who the other teams’ leader is!” Jarod said angrily.

„Who?” Sydney asked with a frowned expression on his face as he turned toward him.




Maine
Portland
A small pier
19.07 pm



„Lyle...!”

„Oh my god... I’m dead...!” Broots started to panic again and Parker turned back to him angrily.

„Just shut up!” But the tech didn’t listen to her, he just tried to stand up and his hands started to shake again. She spotted the stain on his jacket and stepped back to him to push him back to sit. He was bleeding heavily, they had to get out of there somehow.




Ben’s Inn
Living room
19.09 pm



„I should have known that he isn’t in Africa!”

„Same here, Sydney!” Jarod said and his mentor saw that Jarod was angry with himself for letting the Centre fool him.




Maine
Portland
A small pier
19.10 pm




„Where is he?!” Lyle shouted angrily at the sweepers standing in front of him


„He was right here, sir!” Willie replied, reaching out his hands to show the place to him.

Parker watched them from inside the boathouse. They were too far away, so she didn’t understand what they were saying but seeing Willie there and Lyle’s angry expression she was sure that both teams were there. She knew that she had to call help, they couldn’t get out other way. She was just about to reach to her back when it occured to her. Broots dropped her cell when the bullet hit him and they had no time to pick it up. She could just only wish that Jarod and the others knew what happened.

***

The injured sweeper, leaning against another man, slowly made his way toward them. Lyle let out an angry sigh and he was just about to give an order when he caught sight of the bleeding man. Closing his eyes for a moment, he asked, however he had an idea what happened to him.

„What happened to you?”

„I hit him, sir!” Lyle just looked at him expectantly, waiting for him to finish. „He’s injured from my bullet. I was just about to shoot again when...”

„I don’t care what happened to you! I want *everyone* to go and find him!” He barked and the sweepers didn’t need anything else before they all seperated. The injured man was left there alone with Lyle, he was barely able to walk.

„And me, sir?” He asked. Lyle turned his head toward him as he took out his gun.

„I don’t need you anymore!” He said matter-of-factly as he raised his gun. He looked into the sweepers widened eyes as he pulled the trigger. The bullet hit him between his eyes and he fell to the floor, lifeless.

Turning away, Lyle spotted a phone on the ground. Slwoly approaching it, he bent down and picked it up. Putting his left hand into his pocket he noticed that the line was still connected. He knew that phone and in that moment his suspicions came true. His sister was there and it meant trouble. ’Let’s find out who did she talk to’ he thought as he lifted it into his ear.


Ben’s Inn
Living Room
19.12 pm



They all heared the shot through the phone because they still haven’t disconnected the line. Jarod glanced up at Sydney and he jumped up from his seat.

„Parker!” Sydney called into the phone, hopeing that she would reply. When no answer came, Jarod replied.

„Something must have happened! Lyle’s already there!” The pretender said as he picked up his jacket.

„That’s right!” came Lyle’s voice through the line.

Jarod froze for a moment and his expression turned into hatred. He didn’t reply, he hoped he didn’t recognize his voice. But he was wrong.

„It’s too late Jarod! I know you’re there! Actually I’m not surprised to realize that good old Sydney is with you!” He said, the satisfaction evident in his voice.

„What do you want, Lyle?” He asked in a deep voice.

Emily recognized his voice and Zoe noticed Jarod’s sister start to shake. She had experiences with him herself, but knowing that he wanted to kill Emily, she could feel only compassion. Grabbing her hand to calm her down, she smiled at her reassuringly.

„You’ll figure it out, Jarod, you’re the genius! Let’s see, who wins this time!”

„If you dare to hurt...”

„Hurt who?” He asked and it was obvious that he was enjoying the situation. „Broots? Well, consider him dead! Or you wanted to say... Miss Parker? Actually I thought she was in Los Angeles!”

„And you are supposed to be in Africa!” Jarod growled back.

„Well, I’m not!” He said, suddenly turning serious. „We’re going... home... as soon as I’m finished here!”

„Home? You call the Centre ’home’?” Jarod asked sarcastically.

„It’s *your* home too Jarod! And you’ll return soon!”

„I die before I return to that place again!”

„Don’t joke around with this one because... someone may take you serious! Well, I enjoyed this little chit-chat but... I have several things to do! See you soon!” He said and disconnected the line. As soon as he said it, Jarod brust out of the door. Ethan jumped up and followed his brother.




Maine
Portland
A small pier
19.10 pm



Lyle stopped in the middle of the pier and looked around. The area wasn’t big, it was just a matter of minutes until they found them. Lyle caught sight of Willie and waved at him to come closer. As he reached him, he stepped closer.

„Miss Parker is here! Probably with Broots! I want you to kill him as soon as you find him. He cannot tell her anything!”

„Yes, sir!” He turned around to leave when he called after him.

„Oh and Willie!” Lyle said, looking around. „I don’t care if she gets hurt a bit but... you know the limits!”

„Of course sir!

„And tell this to the others too!” Willie nodded and left.




Maine
On the road
19.26 pm



Jarod didn’t say a word thourgh the whole journey. He just watched the road silently, driving in a fast and dangerous speed. Ethan felt the tension in his brother but didn’t say anything either. But the voices started to bother him again and he couldn’t remain silent any more.

„They are alright... yet!”

„The voices?” Jarod asked.

„Yes! But we have to be fast!” Ethan added in his usual silent tone.




Maine
Portland
A small pier
19.29 pm



Parker peeked out through the hole again. The pier wasn’t big and the sweepers have already went throught all the boathouses and hiding places. It was really a matter of minutes until they found them. She knew that she had no chance against them alone, she had to find out something. Turning back to Broots, she noticed that he looked like hell. Kneeling down in front of him, she tried to open his jacket. Placing her 9mm on a plank, she turned back to him.

„Let me see it!” Broots let out a hiss.

„Miss Parker! Can I ask you something?”

„What?” She asked as she saw the huge bloodstain on the material.

„Can you take care of Debbie, when I’m gone?” Parker suddenly stopped and Broots saw her dangerously raise her blue eyes to look at him.

„You. Won’t. Die!” She said slowly.

„That’s where you’re wrong, Miss Parker!”

Spinning her head, she spotted Willie standing there with a gun in his hand. He must have entered through somewhere else because she didn’t hear the door open and moreover it was still closed.

„Willie!”

„Step away from him!” He said, raising his gun. Parker stood up and stepped in front Broots to protect him. With her hands on her hips, she raised her chin.

„You’ll be pushing up the daisies faster before you could harm one hair on his head!” Willie just stared into her eyes as a small smile appeared on his face.

He suddenly raised his hand and slapped Parker. She lost balance for a minute from the force that he gave into it and fell to the floor but as she caught sight of him aiming his gun at Broots, she raised her right leg and kicked into his stomach from the ground. The sweeper doubled over and it was enough to lose aim, however he fired. Unfortunately it was enough to hit Broots again, this time the bullet went through his upper arm and he let out a moan as he fell to the ground.

Miss Parker kicked again and Willie dropped the gun. They both saw as it flew away, only inches away where Broots laid. Parker rolled over to reach it but the sweeper jumped up and threw himself at her. He pushed Parker into the ground as she laid on her stomach but she desperately tried to reach the gun. She felt Willie grab her other hand and pulled it to her back.

„Dammit!” She swore as she punched him at the nose with her free elbow. But he was stronger and as she reached forward again, he grabbed her and rolled her to her back, straddling her. He raised his hand to slap her again when suddenly someone grabbed his wrist. Turning back abruptly Willie found himself face to face... with Jarod’s fist as he hit him on the nose. He punched again, hitting his jaw and this time the sweeper fell to the ground unconscious.

„Are you alright?” Jarod asked as he kneeled down and helped her sit up.

„I’m fine! But Broots is a different story!” She said nodding toward his lying form. Jarod jumped up and hurried to Broots. Ethan suddenly appeared and reached out a hand for Parker. She took it and stood up.

„They probably heared the shot! We have to get out of here!” She said as she watched Jarod slowly turn Broots to his side.

„Yeah!” He said, looking up at them. „Ethan! Come and help carry him.” Parker grabbed her gun where she put it earlier.




Ben’s Inn
Living Room
19.50 pm



„What takes them so long?” The Major asked, jumping up from his seat for the fourth time.

„What if they caught him?” Emily asked concerned. The Major turned to her and let out a sigh.

„No! Jarod’s too clever for them!” Zoe said, trying to reassure Jarod’s sister however she was upset herself. Major Charles turned to look at Sydney, who was just staring out thought the window into the darkness.

He was sick worried. Ever since Jarod escaped he tried to keep him safe, tried to keep the Centre –as much as he could- away from him. And now not only his protege went to a place where horrible danger threatened him but they finally found Broots –alive- and Lyle had to chose that moment to show up. And Miss Parker of course. He was angry with himself for letting her go alone. There were times when the fact how important she was to him sunk in. And these times were like this –whenever she was in danger.

Suddenly Debbie’s soft voice interrupted all of them as she stood in front of Sydney, looking up at him.

„Sydney!” Turning to her, his expression changed into a slight smile.

„What can I do for you, Debbie?”

„Where is Miss Parker?” She asked in a worried tone. Miss Parker was still the only one who could calm her down, she didn’t really take the absence of her father good.

Sydney was just about to reply when the door to the living room brust open and Jarod appeared with Ethan on his side, carrying an unconscious Broots.

„Emily! Take the kid out!” The Major ordered as he ran up to his sons, helping to place Broots on the couch. Emily gently touched Debbie’s arm but she pulled away as she ran to the couch.

„Oh my god! Dad!”

„Debbie, come with me! They are going to take care of your father!” Emily said, trying to convice her to go with her but it didn’t seem to work.

„No! I want to stay!” The girl shouted, her tears already running down her both cheeks and she started to fight the woman as she tried to touch her.

„Debbie! Go with Emily!” came Parker’s stern voice. Debbie suddenly stopped pushing Emily away as she slowly turned toward Parker. She knew that voice, Miss Parker was serious –and angry. Parker just raised an eyebrow at her as she stopped in front of her. „They are going to help him!” However her face was stern, her voice was gentle. Debbie nodded and finally let Emily let her walk out of the room. Zoe just raised her eyebrows as she watched the woman but she said nothing.

„What happened to him?” Sydney asked, kneeling next to Jarod as the pretender tried to tore Broots’ shirt open.

„He was shot! Two times!” Jarod replied, busy with his actions. „I just don’t know whether the bullets are still inside or not!”

„I found an exit wound when I checked him after the first shot!” Parker said finally. „But I don’t know about the other one!”

Jarod ripped the arm of his shirt off, revealing a huge blood-stain. His whole clothes was bloody, thanks to the two wounds.

„Yes there’s another exit wound!” Jarod said.

„What does it mean?” Zoe asked confused as she walked up to stand between the Major and Ethan at the back of the couch.

„That we don’t have to take him to hospital! It makes it easier for me to help him because the bullet isn’t in his body anymore and it can’t cause any infections!” Jarod explained, never leaving his attention from the tech.

Suddenly Ben stepped into the room, immediately noticing the group at the couch.

„Ben!” Jarod said as he caught sight of him. „I need you to help!” He stood up and hurried to him. „Take off his shirt!” Jarod said before he disappeared with Ben.

The Major was on Broots’ side in a minute and helped Sydney to free the tech from the bloody fabric.

„And now?” Zoe asked as she watched Major Charles sit back on the coffee table while Sydney straightened up.

„He’s alright but he’s loosing a lot of blood. Jarod probably went to get bandage and everything that he needs to dress the wounds.” Sydney said in his usual calm voice.

„Oh...” was all Zoe’s reply as she glanced down at lying form of Broots.

Sydney let out a relieved sigh and turned to look at Parker. Catching sight of her he immediately walked around the couch to get to her with a frown.

„What happened to you? You look like hell!”

„Thanks, Syd!” She said, raising an eyebrow. The others turned there finally too and saw what Sydney noticed as well. Her blouse was torn, her jacket and pants were dirty, full of dust.

„Round one with Willie!” She said, looking at Sydney. The old man stopped in front of her and reached out a hand. He slowly raised her chin with his hand, examining her face. She saw his brows furrow as he turned her head. Parker turned her head out of his touch.

„I’m fine!”

„The last time you said that to me this way, you ended up in hospital with a perforated ulcer!” He said, looking at her meaningfully.

She just rolled her eyes but didn’t pull away as he touched her face again to get a better look at her face.

„You’re bleeding!” He said. „There’s a small cut at the corner of your mouth, do you feel it?”

„Oh!” She said, frowning. „I didn’t even notice it!”

„Why did you get into physical fight with Willie?” He asked, the disapproval evident in his voice.

„I had no other option. Otherwise he would have...” she glanced at Broots for a moment and noticed not only Ethan but also Zoe and the Major listening to her. And she didn’t like it. Why the hell was she explaining at all, she thought, as she finally stepped back and slowly pushed Sydney’s hand away. „Never mind! I’m really okey!”

In that moment Jarod returned, followed by Ben, with a lot of things in their hands. They walked to the couch and placed the items onto the coffee table. Major Charles stood up, giving them enough place.

„Parker! I need your help!” Jarod said, throwing a small glance at her. With a frowning look he turned back to look at her longer this time. „Are you alright? You look...”

„Ah cut it, Monkeyboy!” She said angrily as she stormed up to him. „What should I do?!” Jarod just turned away, raising his eyebrows, knowing that this wasn’t the time to argue.

„We will have to clean his wounds before we put on the bandage! We are going to do almost the same as we did with Fanigor!” He said, all the while making things ready on the table.

„Great! But I hope you’re gonna spare me the speech!”

„We can do it, since you don’t have good old Daddy anymore, do you?” He asked.

It took him several seconds to realize what he said and he immediately regretted it. Turning toward her he didn’t see any sign of hurt but he knew that he did hit a nerve and he didn’t mean to cause her more pain that she already had. It just slipped out but he knew that it was going to take him a hell of an explanation to tell her that he really didn’t intend to be rude.

„I mean...”

„I know what you said, Lab Rat...” She said as she kneeled down next to him and took the bandage that he reached to her.” ...you just don’t have the butt to really mean it!”

Jarod turned to Broots and slowly started to clean the wound with Parker’s help.

„You want me to mean it? I won’t! And do you know why? Because that’s what Raines and the Centre want! They want me to be as heartless and rude as...” Jarod suddenly went silent, trying to calm down.

„...me?” She finished for him. Jarod stopped his movements and turned to her. „Then why the hell did you say it if you don’t mean it?” She asked in a deep voice expectantly.

„It was just a statement but I forgot that it may hurt you!”

„You could never hurt me!” She bit back as she watched him turn his attention back Broots. „Friends and loved ones can hurt. Enemies never!” She said without emotions in her voice.

„So I’m still your enemy?”

„You always were!” She said as she handed him the bandage that he finally put on the wound.

„Wrong! There was a time when I wasn’t!” He said, turning his head, looking into her eyes. „And you know it!” Parker was so angry by that time that she didn’t bother to care with the others presence.

„Those times are gone!” She hissed angrily, never breaking eye contact as she slapped another piece of cloth into his palm. Jarod turned to the tech once again and put on the last bandage as well as he replied.

„It seemed different to me one month ago!”

„Don’t go there!” She warned him as he pulled a blanket onto Broots that Ben brought in with the other items.

„Why? Why don’t you just let me...”

„Help? Generous offer but I will regretfully decline!” She said, imitating his own sentence as she stood up.

„You’re away from the Centre for God’s sake, why can’t you just relax a bit and don’t attack every time I try to talk to you!” He said louder this time as he rose to his feet with her. „Do you need an abandoned Island to trust me?” He asked finally.

„I don’t trust you! I don’t trust anyone!” She growled in a low voice before she took a step back and stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind her. Jarod let out an angry sigh and before anyone could have asked anything, disappeared through the other door.

Ethan, Zoe, Ben and the Major just stood there staring after them in awe. They were arguing through the whole time while they prefectly cleaned Broots’ wounds and took bandage on it. Sydney knew what they were thinking and a small smile appeared on his lips. If Jarod found a way to get through her walls, the Centre’s work that took 30 years to keep them seperated will mean nothing.



To be continued...


Thank you guys for the nice reivews! :)))