Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Ben’s Inn

Living Room

17.23 pm



Almost an hour had passed but Jarod still couldn’t break up the code. The system was tough and different than he expected. Emily and the Major seemed to finally get comfortable around Parker but Zoe still didn’t seem convinced and Jarod couldn’t blame her. Her last and only encounter with the Centre wasn’t an experience that normal people would wish for and seeing someone mostly like Miss.Parker who reminds her of that, must be unpleasant. Jarod didn’t know why but he didn’t feel that way around Parker than earlier. They haven’t met personally since Cathris but he had a feeling that he wouldn’t be in too much danger even if they weren’t at Ben and instead it even reassured him that he could keep a closer eye on her.

However Broots’ absence bothered him. In fact it was more than ’bothering’ because looking at Debbie he couldn’t help but see himself and even Parker in her. The sadness in her eyes was too familiar to him and he intended to bring her father back to her.

Emily and Ethan decided to take a walk and they had just gotten back five minutes ago. Sydney and Major Charles seemed to get along pretty good as well. They even started conversations tho Sydney often left him for seconds to go and ask him whether he found something about Broots. JJ and Debbie found common topic and it did good to his clone as well while he made Debbie feel better and forget about the situation as much as she could, however she still felt the most comfortable around Miss.Parker. Parker found an empty room where she could talk to Debbie if she wanted it but still kept her usual façade in front of the others. She didn’t try to get nearer to them at all but he and it didn’t surprise him at all.

Tho there was something that he hadn’t noticed before because he just wasn’t around them but Sydney seemed to be able to have an affect on her in some ways. Even if she turned him down and pretended not to care with him she did consider his advices.

His thoughts were interrupted when Emily walked into the room with Zoe on her side and they sat down on the other sofa oppiste him, where Ethan had been reading a newspaper. Looking up, he noticed Sydney standing above him, staring at the screen.

„Nothing?”

„Nothing!” Jarod replied as he stood up. „Broots must have accidentaly found something very big!”

„Mhm! That’s sure! Something that they want to keep from you and...”

„Most of all from her!” Jarod finished.

„From my sister?” Ethan interrupted. Turning there, Jarod noticed that not only Ethan but Zoe and Emily were listening to him too.

„Yes! He haven’t contacted her yet!”

„She would be the first one the he would call if he got into trouble!” Sydney explained. „Mostly in that kind of trouble!”

„And I have a feeling that they are preventing him from talk to her because...”

„...it’s bigger than the others that we have uncovered so far!” Sydney added as he looked into Jarod’s eyes.





Ben’s Inn

The kitchen

Same time




Shutting her cell, Parker stepped into the kitchen, noticing Major Charles and Ben sitting at the table. Catching sight of them, she paused for a moment before she cleared her throat and stepped up to them and spoke coldly.

„Sorry for interrupting!” She said, throwing a quick glance at Jarod’s father before she turned to the other man. „Ben, have you seen my small bottle of antacid, I think I left it here somewhere when...”

„I’ve seen it! I brought it into the living room but you weren’t there so I left it there!” Ben replied, smiling. All of a sudden a small clock on the counter started to alarm and Ben jumped up to shut it off. „Oh I have to check on something, please excuse me!” He said before he turned around and left.

Parker just watched him walk out but when she turned back she realised that she was left alone with Major Charles. She just glared at him for a second before she took a step back and turned around to leave.

„Miss.Parker!” The Major called after her. She didn’t turn around, just turned her head slightly, listening. „Would you stay, I’d like to have a word with you!”

She didn’t hear any threatening or hostility in his voice and she found it strange. There weren’t too many people ’normally’ who talked to her in such a pleasant tone but what brought the twist into it was the fact that it was Jarod’s father. Or he just wanted to get her attention that way, she thought as she turned back and slowly took several steps until she reached the table.

„I... want to say thank you for what you have done for my son!”

„And what exactly have I done for your son?” She asked, confused.

„I mean... for Ethan!” The Major said quickly, realising that what he said, had a double meaning. Who else, Parker thought. „You let him go after the... explosion and later!” The Major watched as her expression remained unchanged as she replied.

„Yeah! Because he’s my *brother*!” She stated matter-of-factly.

„Yes, I know!” He nodded. „I just didn’t think that you... uhm... had...”

„The word’s ’feelings’, Major!” She said and the Major watched her dangerously raise her eyebrow. „I assume it’s a surprise that I’m not *that* cold hearted to leave my own brother to the Centre’s but most of all Raines’ mercy! I bet it’s hard for you to accept that he’s related to me too!” She added, her voice not so cold than at first. The Major carefully replied, trying to avoid any argument with her.

„No it’s not so hard but you seem to have more problems with it than myself!” He said, looking into her eyes. Parker felt herself getting frustrated from that light tone but she tried to remain calm, her ulcer gave her a hard time lately without this stress too.

„Oh, I’m used to it! In fact after all those people that I am supposed to be related to, this is a...nice exception!” She said sarcastically.

„I don’t want to argue with you Miss.Parker! I... don’t know you but I can tell you one thing! I was very sad to see you working for the Centre! Your mother wanted it differently...!”

„There were a lot of thins that my mother wanted differently, Major!” He didn’t reply, just looked into her eyes.

„If you’ll excuse me!” She said in a deep voice, before she took a step back, turned around and left. The Major just stared after her and he didn’t know why or how, but he was sure that he hit a nerve with his last statement and he wasn’t really talking with Catherine Parker’s daughter. She was Miss.Parker, the Centre-huntress but the woman that was supposed to be Catherine’s child, must have laid somewhere under the surface, he thought.





Ben’s Inn

Living Room

17.30 pm




Standing above Jarod, Sydney was still staring at the screen, trying to give any kind of support to that machine to finally break up the code and find out something about Broots’ whereabouts, as if it was helping anything. But it didn’t and the screen remained unchanged. Giving up on it, he turned around and slowly walked to the window, staring out. The sky was already grey but the fallen leaves offered a beautiful scenery.

„Something interesting outside, Syd?” Came the unmistakable female voice from behind him. Turning around, he watched Miss.Parker walk inside the room, looking for something.

Suddenly her eyes caught sight of the tiny bottle of antacid lying on the table, next to Jarod’s lap top. She bent down and quickly picked it up, ignoring Jarod’s questioning look for her fast movements. Jarod suppressed a grin, knowing exactly the motives of her ’speed’. Straigthening up, Miss.Parker met Sydney’s intense gaze, making her raise an eyebrow.

„What?!” She asked annoyed.

„Your ulcer?”

„Oh for God’s sake Syd, stop nursing me!” Miss.Parker said, rolling her eyes.

She watched Sydney’s expression –unlikely him- turn into a frown before it became angry as he left the window and walked up to her. Jarod’s eyes widened as he looked at his face, never ever in his life had he seen this expression on his mentor’s face. It was beyond angry, he was frustrated but he was visibly controling himself. Ethan stopped listening to Emily’s talking and instead turned toward his other sister in time to see Sydney stop in front of her.

„Would you just once... answer me in a normal way dammit?!” It took her several minutes to come back from the shock that his sudden change of attitude caused but she was still stunned and it was proven by the way she replied.

„Everything’s okey!” She said.

Neither Jarod nor Miss.Parker knew what was the reason for this sudden outbrust but they were both sure that it must have been because of the stress that he was suppressing. He was a pyschiatrist, yes, but that didn’t mean that he couldn’t have enough emotions piled up.

„Oh really?! Then what is *that* doing in your hands?!” He asked, nodding at the bottle.

She opened her mouth to tell him that she just wanted to bring it up to her room in case she needed it when she suddenly realised what he was doing. Intimidating the Ice Queen? Suddenly her stubbornness returned just like ’a bolt from the blue’ and her brows furrowed. In that exact moment Jarod and even Sydney knew that the storm was coming. Emily and Zoe, who in the meantime also stopped talking, saw Jarod lower his head into his hands as if knowing something.

„That’s none of your business!” Sydney suddenly grabbed the little bottle from her hand and held it up in front of her.

„It is because it can ease your pain if you keep drinking!” He said, never breaking eye contact with her.

For a moment he did achieve his aim because she felt quilty just like when a parent disapproves a child’s acts. Parker liked that challenge, she had never seen him like that. He always seemed to care for her but she still wasn’t convinced whether he was doing this little scene because he felt something for her or he was just upset with her behaviour. And the fact that he was doing it in front of *others* annoyed her even more.

„Stop it, Freud! You don’t have the right to demand an explanation of my actions!” She growled, returning his gaze. Then before she could think, she added: „You’re not my father!”

Sydney knew that it was partially his fault that he made her angry and that’s why she said that but it did hit a nerve. It was true that he never showed his emotions for her openly –mostly in front of her- but he thought she knew that she meant the same for him as Jarod. However the thought that he wasn’t sure either whether *she* had feelings for him proved that she may feel the same way about his actions just like him about hers.

„Yes! I’m not your father and that’s your luck!” He said in a neutral voice. „Otherwise I would have slapped you just to shake some sense into you.” Parker just stared into his eyes, her gaze piercing him.
Jarod was about to say something before it could have gotten worse when all of a sudden his lap top started to beep and screen started to flash with a word: ACCESS!

„I’m in!” He said and started to type franatically. Miss.Parker seemed reluctant to move but after several seconds, still holding his gaze for a short while, stepped away and walked up to the table, sitting down next to Jarod. It surprised him but didn’t say anything, instead continued to type.

„What are you looking for?” Sydney asked as he stood above him on his other side.

„I’m going to check the security records from that night. Where was he working?” He asked, looking up at his mentor.

„I’m not sure but I think he was in the tech room!” Jarod nodded and turned his attention back to the lap top.

Miss.Parker’s cell rang once again and she had a bad feeling who it was. Rolling her eyes, she took it out and stood up to walk away from them.

„What?” She growled while she reached the mini bar. Sydney didn’t look up at him but he paid attention. Waiting for Raines’ voice to flood, her jaw almost dropped as she heared the caller talking on the other line. „Oh my...[__] What happened to you? [__] ...what?! Whoa slow down Scooby!” Sydney’s head snapped up as he heared her talking and he was immediately on her side. She saw his look and reached out a hand to keep him in distance and let her talk to Broots. „[__] It doesn’t matter now! Where are you? [__] ... Stop the rambling dammit and listen to me!” She said angrily, almost shouting!” [__] They are probably tracing the line! Just tell me where you are and then hide yourself!” She said and then listened. „[__] Perfect! I’ll be there in half an hour!” She said as she quickly walked up to the table and picked up her keys. „ [__] If you can’t hide and you see anything suspicious... get out! Understood?!” Parker snapped her cell shut and headed outside.

„You can’t go there alone!” Sydney said, grabbing her arm.

„I can and I will!” Jarod had the urge to stand up but he had a better idea. Taking a deep breath he spoke:

„Where is he?” Parker pulled her arm out of Sydney’s grasp and turned to him

„He’s in Portland! It’s only half an hour from here!”

„Okey!” Jarod nodded. „I’m going to distract their trace! I entered their system... they are already locating him!” He said, typing franatically. „But you have to be fast because it won’t take too long for them to realize what happened! I’m going to help you here but stay on the line!” Jarod said sternly, looking up at her.

„Sure!” With a last look at Sydney, she disappeared. With a frowning expression on his face, Sydney silently walked back to Jarod, staring at the screen.

„I hope they won’t discover her!” Jarod said.

„Why?” His sister, who had been sitting there in silence along with Zoe, asked.

„Because right now they are going to realize that I’m looking and... helping Broots as well! If they find out that she’s... also helping him, she... and probably you as well are going to get into serious trouble.” He said, looking up at his mentor. Sydney didn’t reply, he just nodded.




Ben’s Inn

Living Room

18.03 pm




„Finally!” Jarod said, leaning back in his seat. „It’s going to take them... some time to find out where Broots really is! Or at least where did he call from! I hope she’s going to be fast!”





Maine

Portland

A small pier

Same time




Getting out of the car, Miss.Parker slammed the door shut. Reaching to her back, she took out her gun and turned off the safety. The wind was blowing and the air was a bit cold. Wiping a lock of hair away from her face, Miss.Parker stepped forward. She spotted a phone-box nearby and figured that Broots must have called from there. With her gun steady in her hand on her side, she slowly made her way further toward the phone-box, trying to find any sign of Broots. She could see the sea under the grey sky. She spotted wooden boards on each other and saw even smaller boats tied to the ground. Looking around, she noted the typical pier-look.





Ben’s Inn

Living room

18.22 pm



Seeing his protege’s frowning expression, Sydney stood up from his seat. Major Charles, who had joined them in the meantime, also noticed a troubled face of his son and it made him worried.

„What’s wrong, Jarod?” Sydney asked.

„We have a problem! There are two teams after Broots!”

„Two teams? What did he find that they spend two team after him?!”

„I don’t know but I don’t like this! There’s something definately wrong here!”




Maine

Portland

A small pier

18.44 pm




Glancing inside the phone-box, Miss.Parker didn’t find any trail of the tech. As she closed the door again, her cell rang.

„What?!”


„Have you found him?” came Jarod’s voice. The phone was turned to the loudspeaker to let Sydney know too what was happening and what she was saying.

„Not yet! I’m here but there’s no sign of him!”

„Careful, Parker!” Sydney warned her. „He discovered something really big. They want to kill him, they may hurt you as well!”

„They spent two teams!” Jarod said, still typing on his lap-top.

„Perfect!” She said sarcastically as she slowly turned around, trying to take in everything around her. Suddenly she spotted movements next to the wooden-boards. „Call me back in a minute!” She said before hanging up. Parker raised her gun and headed toward the stranger’s hiding place.




Ben’s Inn

Living Room

Same time




„Parker, wait!” Sydney tried to stop her but it was too late. She already hung up. „I shouldn’t have let her go alone!” He said angrily.

„You couldn’t have stopped her, you know that! I would have gone with her but...”

„But you’re the only one who can distract them with your... talent!” Ethan said silently. Jarod just looked into his eyes for a short, silent moment.





Maine

Portland

A small pier

18.48 pm




Silently stepping to the wooden-boards, Parker stopped and raised her gun. She didn’t move, just waited for the stranger to peek out again just as she spotted him several minutes ago. She didn’t have to wait any longer til a bald head appeared in front of her gun before she saw the face that belonged to it. The stranger let out a short scream from the surprise and fear as he looked into her barrel.

„Don’t shoot!” He screamed and raised his hands.

„Broots!” Parker hissed as she let out a sigh and lowered her gun.

„Oh my god...Miss.Parker!” He said as he threw his arms around her in relief. „Oh... I’m sorry!” He said rambling as he stepped back.

She noticed his hands shaking, looking around to make sure no one was there. Parker suddenly grabbed his chin and turned his face toward her.

„What happened to you?!”

„I-I was in-in the... Centre late and... god I didn’t want it, I swear it was just an...and Debbie! Oh my god, they killed her!”

„No she’s...”

„I know that they did!” Broots shouted and Miss.Parker saw that he was hysterical. He was shaking as he rubbed his forehead. „Oh my god...I went home and they... they were there and then...”

„Broots!” Parker shouted as she slapped him. It worked and she got his attention. „She’s *alive*!”

„What?!”




Ben’s Inn

Living Room

Same time




„The problem is, I have no idea where the other team is!” Jarod said, desperately trying to find them as he kept on typing on his lap top.

„Who are leading the teams?” Sydney asked, trying to help.

„The first team, that we knew about all along, is led by Willie!”

„So this proves it! Raines is the one behind everything! And the other one?”

„I have no idea!” He said, looking up at him for a minute before he added. „Yet!”

„They are in danger!” Ethan said suddenly, jumping up from his seat.

„The voices?” Jarod asked with a worried look on his face. Ethan just nodded, staring into his eyes. Sydney immediately bent down to dial Miss.Parker’s number again.





Maine

Portland

A small pier

18.53 pm




„She’s alive Broots! When you didn’t show up at work the whole day we went to your place and found her!” She said and saw the relief on Broots face, he was on the verge of crying. Parker let out a sigh before she added. „Obviously in time! We ran into two sweepers in your house!”

„Oh my god...!” He said as he crouched down and covered his face with his hands when Miss.Parker’s cell rang again.

„What?!”

„Are you alright? Did you find him?”

„Yeah Syd, he’s here!” She replied, glancing down at him. Suddenly it occured to Parker that she hadn’t asked something yet. „Broots! What the hell did you find?” She asked.

„I don’t know!”

„What?!” She asked confused. Jarod, Sydney and the others heared only what *she* said and they didn’t understand anything.

„Parker?!” Sydney called concerned.

„It’s okey. He just doesn’t know what he found!”

„I know where I entered but I have no idea what was there!” He explained.

Parker handed the phone to him to make him tell it to Jarod while she turned around to see whether they were still alone. Something told her that they had to get out of there fast.

„Hello?” Broots said into the phone.

„Broots! Thank God! Are you alright?” Sydney asked with a slight relief in his voice.

„Yes I’m fine, now. Miss.Parker told me that Debbie is okey!”

„Yes, she’s here! Broots, what did you find?” Sydney asked finally. They were already anxious to find out why the hell did he get into that situation.

„I-I don’t know Sydney! All I know is that I entered a DSA archive but it wasn’t the average one. The informations that were supposed to be on the DSAs weren’t on disks. They were on the system!”

„Yeah, for the Centre only. They are confidential so they didn’t risk to put them on disks!” Jarod said, finally realizing what he was talking about.

„Yes! I have absolutely no idea what was there but in the minute I tried to open one file...”

Suddenly a shot rang out and Broots didn’t finish his sentence. Turning around Parker noticed Broots falling to the floor as he dropped the phone.





To be continued...