Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Under The Surface

Part3



„Jarod?” She asked, surprised, as Sydney raised his head. „He was here?”

„He *is* here!” came the too familiar voice from behind her. Spinning around, she found herself face to face with the pretender as a stunned expression appeared on her face.

Jarod was standing in front of her with his ’gotcha’ grin on his face, visibly enjoying the situation. He watched as the dismay slowly slipped away from her face and the so well known anger appeared as she reached to her back. Jarod knew what was coming and wasn’t surprised to see her 9mm only inches away from his chest. Sydney immediately raised from his seat.

„Well, hello to you too, Miss.Parker!”

„Jarod!” Sydney said, stepping closer.

„Sydney!” Jarod moved to greet him but heared the click of the safety on Miss.Parker’s gun. „It isn’t working! I guess you know why!”

„I can’t belive you were in my bedroom again!” She hissed under her breath as she dropped her arm to her side, watching as Jarod hugged Sydney.

Parker felt the anger slowly reaching higher levels in her and desperately tried to find a way to calm down. Her ulcer was acting up lately again and she couldn’t allow herself to collapse again. Taking her gun back to it’s holser, she walked up to Debbie and sat down next to her while Jarod and Sydney greeted each other.

„How’s the cake, Deb?” She asked, running her hand through her own hair.

„It’s good!” Debbie said as she nodded. Parker watched her stare at the cake for a moment and saw the sadness in her eyes. Ben felt that the ’grown-ups’ had some business together so he decided to leave them alone.

„Hey young lady, do you want to see your room?” Debbie raised her head but glanced at Miss.Parker questioningly. Parker gave her a reassuring smile.

„Go ahead! I’m going to pop in before we go!”

”You go?” Debbie asked so loud that everyone heared the panic in her voice, making even Jarod and Sydney turn there as well.

„I...”

„Don’t leave me, Miss.Parker! Please don’t leave me!” The girl said, throwing her arms around Parker’s waist. She couldn’t hold back the sob any longer and Miss.Parker felt her shaking as she cried.

„Debbie I’m not going to...”

„Please Miss.Parker stay with me! Everyone leaves me! First mom and now dad! Please don’t leave me you too!” Parker grabbed her arms and pulled her away to look into her eyes!

„Debbie I’m *not* going to leave you!” She said sternly. Parker hesitated for a moment but then she decided not to care with the presence of the others, after all it was about Debbie. Touching her chin, she raised her head to look into her eyes. „Listen baby, I won’t leave you! And your dad didn’t leave you either! You want him back, don’t you?” She asked in a gentle tone. Debbie nodded as she tried to suppress the tears.

Sydney knew it wasn’t easy for Parker to be that caring and seeing her giving up her pride just to make Debbie feel better, he knew that he had to do something. Gently touching Jarod’s arm, he nodded with his head, indicating him to leave the room with him. Jarod seemed reluctant to move but after several seconds he turned around and they walked out, followed by Ben.

„Listen Debbie, I’ll be earnest with you! I have no idea where your father is, he probably... had some problems! But I promise you, I’m going to do everything to find him and bring him back to you, okey? You want that, right?”

„Yeah... I want my Dad back!”

„But for that, I have to go! I have some things to do but I’ll be back! I promise! Is that okey?”

„Yeah...I’m sorry!”

„Debbie, don’t say sorry! These are your feelings! Honey, don’t ever apologize for your feelings because it means you apologize for the... truth!” She said smiling as she gently caressed the young girl’s hair. Debbie nodded and Parker noticed the first real smile on her face since yesterday.



Ben’s inn

Maine

9.50 am



„That was the point where she couldn’t take it any longer!” Sydney said to Ben as he stared out of the window, his arms crossed in front his chest. „She was controlling herself pretty long but after a point the emotions just flooded!” Sydney notcied Ben’s smile as he listened to him. The other man noticed the confused look on his face and explained:

„Catherine told me that you were a phyisicharist!”

„Oh...” Was all his reply.

„Well, that little girl is strong! I haven’t seen such a young person have so many strength like her!”

„Oh I have!” Jarod said in a sad tone as he walked inside.

Suddenly the other door opened up and Miss.Parker stepped inside. Jarod noticed that her old self was back, the Ice Queen has returned.

„Syd! We have to go! I have to report to Mr.Wheezebox!”

„Before you go we have to talk about the details!” Jarod interrupted as he took a step toward her.

„What *details*?”

„About our plan!”

„Our plan? Since when do we have anything in common?” She asked, placing her hands on her hips.

„Since we were born!” Parker just stared at him for a moment, her blue eyes piercing through him. He had a point, she thought. Jarod watched her brows furrow and knew that he had to say something before they get into another fight!

„Miss.Parker! You know the best how horrible Debbie feels now! Broots is gone and the Centre has something to do with it! If you ever want to see him again, you have to let me help!” Jarod saw that her anger and pride was still controlling her and it was stronger than the right sense that would say to belive him for Broots’ and Debbie’s sake! But he wasn’t the only one who knew her. Sydney stepped forward.

„Parker, he’s right! It’s about Broots!” She felt the anger return as she saw Sydney take Jarod’s side once again but deep down she knew that they were right. She wasn’t sure if she was angry because it seemed that she did need his help or because Sydney abandoned her once again just to prove that Jarod was the right guy and she’s the bad.

„Okey!” She said finally, raising her chin.

„Okey?” Jarod asked surprised. Now that was fast, he thought.

„But I tell you one thing, Boywonder! I won’t play your game, I won’t be a marionette. I do what I want!”

„Well, it’s finally time for you to do what *you* want!” Sydney saw as Parker dangerously raised one eyebrow as she leant her head to one side. And it meant trouble, he had to do something.

„So what’s your plan, Jarod?” Sydney asked, trying to get his attention. Jarod turned to him but he was aware of the fact that Parker was still looking at him, ready to kill him. He knew that he was safe there because Parker would never call the Centre there but he knew that he had to be careful because... she wasn’t too predictable.

„You have to get out of the Centre til we find him! They would keep you under surveillance if you were searching there. That’s why I left a trail behind in Los Angeles. As soon as you get back to the Centre you will have to leave. I planned everything, so it gives you two days away from... that place. The Centre jet is still under construction and the other one took Lyle to Africa so you will have to take a commercial flight...”

„Wait, wait a minute!” Parker interrupted. „How the hell do you know about... that?”

„Oh about the Centre jet and Lyle?” A satisfied grin appeared on his face as he replied. „I know a lot!”

„But obviously not enough!” She bit back and this time she was the one to hit a nerve. She saw Jarod’s jaw tighten before he went on.

„So everything’s ready. All you have to do is... play your part!” Turning to Parker, he added. „Pretend!”

„Saddle up Syd!” She said, holding Jarod’s gaze. „We’re down for the ride!”




The Centre

Hangar

12.03 pm



„Ladies and Gentlemen! The show has begun, hosted by Mr.Genius himself!” Parker murmured to Sydney as she led the way to the door from the Jet. Reaching the door, a sweeper greeted them.

„Miss.Parker!” Parker just nodded at his directon as she walked past him.

„Joe!” Sydney greeted the man, replacing the manner that Parker –intentionally- neglected.

„Doctor!” The man nodded.

Stepping into the corridor, Sydney had quite a hard job to keep up with her. She was upset, that was sure. Confidence, determination and danger radiated from her as she walked, her chin high.

„Why are you angry?” He asked calmly, walking next to her.

„I’m not angry Sydney!”

„What’s really bothering you? This whole mess with Broots or Jarod...” Before he could finish the sentence, a sweeper stepped up them and Parker almost ran into him.

„You are to come with me!” Miss.Parker just raised an eyebrow and glanced at Sydney.



The Centre

Chairman’s office

12.15 pm




„Where have you been?” Mr.Raines asked, slowly raising up from his seat as he gazed into Miss.Parker’s eyes. Sydney just stood silently next to her.

„In Boston! Trying to catch Jarod!” She said, matter-of-factly as she raised her eyebrows.

„No... you weren’t! You should know better... than lie to me... and to the Centre! You... were reported to leave Boston... with a rental car!” Parker held her breath for a moment and she could have bet that she went pale. Collecting her composure she quickly replied.

„The trails led out of Boston. To Massachusetts! He worked there as Detective Jarod Cross!” Crossing her arms in front of her chest, she took a step forward. „But he was gone by the time we got there and I guess you know that we couldn’t make them suspicious! We were back in Boston at 11 am, you can check it if you want! Now do you have a point here because if you’re finished, we all could get back to our work. Syd and me to find Boywonder and you... running the circus!” Sydney watched silently as Parker won the battle once again.

„No... I’m not finished!” He said sternly. „Where’s... Broots?” Parker was really taken aback by that question. She had a feeling that Raines knew a lot more about Broots’ whereabouts than her and he knew that she was at his house. This was the situation where she couldn’t find a way to escape. If she said yes and she found out something just to cover him, Raines would know that she lied. If she said no, Raines would know again that she lied becuase the sweepers must have reported him their little encounter in Broots’ house. One thought flooded into her mind ’Catch 22’–she simply couldn’t avoid deceiving him.. She was about to reply, to give him the smaller lie when Sydney spoke before her:

„No! He didn’t come to work yesterday and we didn’t have time to get in contact with him yet! We were busy with the trails that Jarod left behind!” Miss.Parker held her breath once again but didn’t even flinch. Sydney lied and Raines knew it but the wheezing man didn’t break eye-contact with her even for a second. She knew that he wanted *her* to react and judging by his expression, he was furious.

„I... want you to report to me... if you hear something... about him!”

„Why?” She shot back. Raines glared at her for a moment before he took a deep breath and sat back into his chair. Her expression was unreadable as she glared at him.

Suddenly the door opened up and a man stepped in. Parker immediately knew that he was a tech. She just... had the ’smell’ to categorize people. Clearing his throat, he took a step forward with a file in his hand. Parker immediately spotted that he was trembling, he must have been in the Chairman’s office for the first time. And being there for the first time especially when Raines was the Chairman would give the creeps to anyone.

„I...I’m re-really so-sorry sir!” He said, holding his gaze on the floor.

„Not now!” Raines breathed angrily.

„I’m sorry, Mr.Raines, but this just came in and Mi-miss.Parker said that whatever comes up from Jarod... bring it to her!”

„What is it?” She asked as she walked up to the tech. He handed her the file but didn’t dare to look into her eyes. A small smile appeared on her lips and she handed it back to him. „Get the jet ready!” She said as she turned back.

„Uhm... I-I tr-tried to... but I-I uhm... was told th-that it’s still under repair!” He said, closing his eyes, waiting for her to explode. Parker let out a frustrated sigh.

„Fine! Then get a car out of the garage and tell Sam to wait for us at the gate! Call the airport and get two tickets booked for us! Understood?”

„Su-sure Miss.Parker!” And with that, the tech disappeared. Glancing at Sydney, she noticed his amused expression. She gave him a ’what?!’ look before she turned back to Raines.

„What is it?” Raines asked.

„He was spotted in Los Angeles! He didn’t know but a TV broadcasted live when they brust into a bank at a robbery. He was on the news, live, as he helped a hostage!”

„Get there! Now!” Miss.Parker just nodded as she took a step back before she turned around. Sydney stepped out of the office and Parker was just about to follow suit when Raines’ voice stopped her. „Don’t forget... one thing, Miss.Parker! It’s dangerous... to deceive the Centre!” She didn’t turn around and after he said it, she left.




The Centre

The Corridor



„Have you gone crazy?” Parker asked angrily as she caught up with Sydney, grabbing him at the arm.

„What do you mean?”

„You lied to Raines!” She said when he finally stopped.

„I know!” He said and started to walk again. Parker let out a frustrated sigh as she ran after him and stood into his way.

„Sydney! You lied instead of...” She left the sentence unfinished as she stared into his eyes.

„Instead of you!” He said simply and walked away. Parker reached out a hand after him but couldn’t find the words and watched him go. He lied instead of her but it probably meant that Raines will go after him. The wheezing bastard knew that she was at Broots’ house but he never liked Sydney and he just gave him a reason to report to the Triumvirate. There was only one solution; to find Broots and bring him back here after he was cleared. But cleared of what... was still a question. Another question that she intended to find out.




Ben’s Inn

Maine

14.14 pm




„How’s Debbie?” Jarod asked as he spotted Ben walking into the kitchen.

„She’s fine, she’s in the living room! She’s a nice kid! She just has that sad atosphere around her!”

„Yes because her father disappeared!” Ben nodded as he sat down next to Jarod.

„When are they going to get here?”

„In an hour I think! They had to make the Centre belive that they are heading to Los Angeles!” Ben nodded again.

„I can’t belive how could Catherine live in that horrible place! After all the things that you said about it I wish Catherine had told me. I wish I could have helped her!”

„You did help her! She just didn’t want to risk your life!” He said, patting his arm.

„Now I have only one question left!”

„What?” Jarod asked.

„What is Miss.Parker going to say when she sees... them!” Ben asked as he turned toward the living room where the loud noise was coming from. Jarod, looking into that direction, just let out a sigh.




Ben’s Inn

Maine

15.30 pm




Stepping into the house, Parker stopped for a moment. Sydney, noticing it, followed suit as he stepped closer to her.

„What’s wrong!”

„That noise! It seems Ben has guests!” She said before she made her way to the kitchen, followed by Sydney.

„Oh Miss.Parker! Sydney!” Ben greeted them with a warm smile as he caught sight of them.

„Ben!” Sydney shook his hand as he smiled himself.

Both of them saw that Miss.Parker wasn’t in her best mood and it seemed to be reflected on the way she was dressed up at that day. She had a deep-red blouse on with black pants along with high-heeled boots of course. Her black coat reached her ankles and with that expression on her face she gave the impression of a dark angel. She just looked around, trying to find Jarod.

„Where’s our Lab Rat?” She asked, sounding rather bored. Ben looked at her confused.

„Jarod!” Sydney said, ’translating’.

„Uhm in the living room but I think you should...” But Parker didn’t hear the half of the sentence because she was already on her way. Just as she was about to enter, Jarod stepped out.

„Finally! I thought you got lost!” He said.

„Where’s Debbie?” She asked, inentionally ignoring his statement.

„She’s in the living room!” Parker was just about to walk past him and enter when he grabbed her. „Before you go in I have to tell you someth...” Parker roughly pulled her arm out of his grasp.

„*Don’t*... touch me!” She hissed and Jarod let out a sigh.

„I don’t want to hurt you!”

„You *can’t* hurt me!” She said, raising her chin.

„You are afraid of me!” He stated.

„What?!” She asked, stunned. „You wish!”

„No! You attack every time we talk! Just to avoid *that* topic!” She didn’t reply, just took a step back as she crossed her arms in front of her chest. „And now, that you can’t hung up because we are face to face, you...”

„Don’t you dare to start it again, Jarod! I’ve told you! That choice was made for us... !”

„...a long time ago!” He finished for her! „You keep saying that but who are you trying to convince! Me or yourself?” He asked, gazing into her eyes. This situation was new for her. It was always easy to send him to hell and hang up the phone but face to face was a different story. She opened her mouth to speak when she heared a familiar voice coming from the living room.

„That’s... Ethan!” She said surprised and this time did walk past him and entered the room.

„Parker wait...”

Entering the room, she spotted Debbie talking to Ethan with sad expressions on both of their faces. Parker was surprised and even glad to see him until her attention wandered around the room. This time she did went pale as her mind registered who others were in the room. Jarod appeared behind her in time to see everyone suddenly go silent. Letting out a worried sigh, he spoke.

„That’s... what I was trying to tell you...” He said but she didn’t let him finish.

„Whop-ti-doo! You should have told me that we have family-picnic! I would have brought food!” Jarod just rolled his eyes. The people in the room just stared at them unmoving, shocked by her sudden appearence.

„Well, it certainly going to be more *fun* than yours!” In the same minute, Sydney stepped inside. The shock was evident on his face as he caught sight of Jarod’s family.



To be continued...


You still know the drill! I *need* feedbacks! :)

Zsazsa