Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
MANY MANY thanks to Dianne for beta-reading it for me! You are such a big help! Thanks really a lot!

This chapter has not been checked by a beta-reader. If anything bothers you, I’m sorry but you’ll have to put up with it… there’s more to this story than 100 precise grammar. This, of course, doesn’t mean I didn’t proof-read them. The chapter will be replaced by the beta versions once I get them. :) Enjoy!

Unknown Place
Next Day -Downstairs
10.28 am

Sydney was sitting on the couch. Alone. Staring into space. He was full of hatred. He hated the Nazis. He hated the Centre. He hated Raines and Lyle. He hated Nicholas. He hated Parker and he hated Jarod. But most of all he hated himself.

Sydney was full of hate because it was a horrible feeling being in the situation he was in. It was stressing him out and he couldn’t find a way out of it. He hated the Nazis for their beliefs and for killing his family. If they hadn’t been killed, he and Jacob wouldn’t have ended up at the Centre.

This brought him to his second point. He hated the Centre for all their nasty business and including him in those horrible things. For taking his brother and his love away from him and for destroying human lives.

He hated Raines and Lyle because they were the ones responsible for bringing all evil thoughts to life. They were the ones making his and all their lives hell.

He hated Nicholas for existing and therefore “forcing” him to make a decision that ripped his heart apart. For having a life that the young man could thank to Sydney and making the old man responsible for his well being…. basically for his life.

He hated Parker too. For being his daughter, for not letting him close, for not opening up to him and not giving him a chance. A chance that he most probably would never get again. Not after she finds out what he has done.

And at that moment… he hated Jarod too for being his first son, for having such a place in his heart that he sacrificed his own flesh and blood for his protégé. Hated him for… - on some levels, over the years-, choosing him instead of Parker so many times. Just like now. For not being there, not being available when Sydney had to make the decision, leading to the fact, that he chose Jarod to ‘survive” and not Parker.

But all those feelings couldn’t be compared to the hatred he felt for himself. Because he was responsible for most of the things above. He was responsible for not giving up in Dachau and instead he survived. He was responsible for playing along with the Centre when first he obviously wasn’t forced. Responsible for LETTING Raines and Lyle turn his life to hell, for not warning Michelle AND Nicholas about the dangers, for hesitating so long about his own daughter… and for choosing Jarod even when he obviously wasn’t the one needing support.

He planned everything in mind. When he called them, he made it clear that they will get Parker if they do what he demands. He told them everything clearly and then hung up. He knew he had to finish the call before they could have said anything, before they could have threatened him. This way, knowing that if they harmed Nicholas, they wouldn’t get what they want, Sydney got some sort of control.

As long as they were the ones waiting for him to get in touch, their hands were bound. If they killed Nicholas, Sydney would never give them Parker. His plan was all set-up in his mind. He had told them to wait for him to call in 24 hours. By then, he most probably would have talked to Jarod and would let him know where to get Nicholas. He would give the Centre instructions where to go. He would let them close but not close enough to find them. Then he would tell them where he and Parker exactly are but if Jarod wouldn’t respond back that he has Nicholas until a certain amount of time -that would give them time to still escape-, he and Parker would be gone. But for that everything had to go in time.

Sydney knew his plan was dangerous but he didn’t have any other choices. He knew what the Centre was capable of and with the perfect timing Nicholas could be saved. The old man knew how badly they wanted them so he had to play the bastards. Knowing that Lyle and co KNEW that they had to give his son un-harmed back, in order to get Parker, Sydney was sure they would send Nicholas to Jarod safe and sound. He was sure Jarod was capable of picking him up and escaping the sweepers there but he knew once Jarod had the young man, he and Parker would have no chance to get away. As weird as it sounded, he had to trust the Centre that they indeed released Nicholas while they were on their to them. For that, he had to threaten them. And threaten he did, he made sure they got that clearly when he called them.

So there he was, sitting on the couch in the living room, waiting for Jarod to finally get in touch with him. He knew Jarod was far enough not to get back in time and he wasn’t in the condition either. But the Centre could take their jet to bring Nicholas to the meeting point and the Pretender would pick him up while Lyle would be on his way to Parker and him.

Yet the most horrible was still to come. To look into Parker’s eyes. He has not met her yet, she still had to come down from upstairs. His nerves were getting tighter and it was stressing him out. He couldn’t let that happen, he had to keep cool and calm. It was about survival.

When the cell phone finally rang, he jumped forward. He grabbed the equipment and pressed a button.

”This is Sydney”. He said.

”Still alive?” Jarod asked jokingly but Sydney didn’t show any sign of amusement.

”So far yes.”

”Has something happened, you sound strange!” The Pretender said.

”Yes, something has. And I need your help.” He said it. For the second time in about 40 years. “It’s about life and death.” And it began.
--

Unknown Place
Downstairs
12.03 pm

Parked walked into the living room. She finally decided to face Sydney. She was preparing, struggling with herself if she really wanted it but then came to the conclusion, that it was better to get over it as soon as possible. For both of their sakes. With the Major’s gun in hand, she entered the living room.

She saw the surprised look on Sydney’s face when he spotted the gun and she could have bet he thought she wanted to use it. With a frown, she spoke.

”The Major forgot about it. And I feel better if I have one!” She explained. Sydney nodded and Parker let go of the subject. She walked in, put it on the table and folded her arms. She stared into Sydney’s eyes. Waiting.

Sydney couldn’t say a word. For a while earlier, he was considering telling it to her. But then he realized, if he told her, he would have to ASK her to SACRIFICE herself for… Nicholas. For her brother. And he wasn’t sure she would have been willing to do so. Because he couldn’t ask it from her, because she has gone through hell in the Centre.. and because she would have to willingly go back. It would be sacrifice indeed. Suicide, from her part.

Sydney knew what she was waiting for. She wanted him to finally start what he asked her to stay there for. But he was unable to do it. He was unable to try to sort things out, to clarify their situation and to try to build up a better relationship with her. Not only because of himself but also because that would be the ultimate betrayal from his part and knew he would kill her with that. He’s sacrificing her enough anyways.

”How did you sleep?” He asked. Parker raised an eyebrow.

”Just peachy!” She said. Then silence settled down between them, both of them staring at each other. Sydney noticed the clock hanging on the wall for the first time. Because he heard it ticking. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. The time was running… so fast. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

Parker heard it too, that was the only sound in the room. Almost a minute passed but nothing happened. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. The ticking got her frustrated. Also Sydney’s silence was pissing her off. As if sensing the exact moment when Parker was about to speak, Sydney spoke suddenly.

”I’ll get you a cup of coffee, nice way to start the day.” He said and smiled at her. Parker frowned. She wanted to talk but Sydney left. She was left alone in the room. And the clock still annoyed her.
--

Unknown Place
Downstairs
3.06 pm

Three hours passed. And the only thing that remained the same, was the ticking of the clock. Everything else was changing with the minute. He almost had an argument with Parker. When he returned with the coffee, she was visibly annoyed with him. If it hadn’t been for the circumstances, he would have been happy about her attitude. She wanted to talk, she wanted to solve it. Either ways.

But it was him, who couldn’t do it anymore. And what was the worse of all, he had to play her. He couldn’t simply tell her that he doesn’t want to sort it anymore, because he would have had to give her a reason then. A reason that he couldn’t tell her. Parker sensed that there was something wrong and Sydney knew he couldn’t entirely kill off her suspicions. But he managed to make her believe that he needed to collect his thoughts, how he wanted to tell her several things and that they had agreed in three days, so he needed time.

At one point his heart almost stopped when Parker announced she was leaving and that she wouldn’t waste her time there. But he managed to convince her to give him time because HE had to bear with so many things from her part over the years, that she owed him that. Thankfully she nodded and left him alone. Thankfully because for a moment he even considered not letting her go, either forcing her to stay to sedating her… somehow. Hours after their encounter, sitting in the living room alone again, he faced facts. That was the point when his heart not only stopped but officially broke. He was thinking like THEM… he WAS them. And he loathed himself for that.

And how he was going to cope after the exchange, he had no clue. But he didn’t even want to think about it. There, at that moment, he had to focus on Nicholas. On Nicholas because in just a matter of hours, he was going to be his only son… his only loved one, who would not hate him. No matter how hard he tried to find a way out of it, he couldn’t. It was catch 22 –all over again.

So there he was, sitting on the couch, facing the cell phone. 5 minutes left before he had to call Lyle and tell him their exact whereabouts. They were close anyways. He had told Lyle that they were 10 minutes from the house. Lyle just didn’t know exactly where. And Jarod had 5 minutes to call that he had Nicholas.

Jarod… thinking of his protégé, he was reminded of their phone conversation. Sydney was right. The trade could be arranged. The Centre sent Nicholas to an exact point where Sydney wanted him. An exact place where, as Jarod said, he can get there with his father. Sydney hated himself even more. Jarod trusted him enough, not to ask questions. First. When Sydney asked him what they could arrange, he came up with the plan and the perfect place within two minutes. He offered to go back but Sydney refused it. He told the Pretender, the only way he could help him, is to get Nicholas. And it was true… no one else could take him from the Centre than Jarod. The pretender was the only person in the game, who could make sure that Nicholas got out alive. Because Sydney could trust him.

Sydney explained him everything carefully… leaving out the most important things. All Jarod knew was that he had to get Nicholas from this point. The Pretender had thought that Sydney, after they came up with the plan, would tell him the rest and THEN he could suggest his own ideas but it didn’t happen. Just because Jarod trusted him, he went along to form the plan about picking up Nicholas, getting in touch with him as soon as he had him and then getting away. But then, when Jarod demanded what the Centre wanted in return, Sydney avoided lying. He simply started talking and in the middle of the sentence disconnected the line, turning the phone off the same time. Sydney knew Jarod would think there’s no signal or the battery was simply off and KNEW that as long as he couldn’t talk to Sydney, he couldn’t change the plan because his mentor was counting on him, to get to Nicholas.

But neither Sydney nor Jarod wasn’t stupid to believe in that. Sydney was sure that Jarod was upset because his protégé KNEW that something happened, that he and Parker were in danger and he was angry with Sydney for not letting him help. Instead, he forced Jarod to do what he asked him to do. Picking up his son. He forced him because Sydney took advantage of the fact that Jarod couldn’t let innocent people die, because Jarod knew that it was about Nicholas and it was about Sydney. Jarod just didn’t know that in reality, it was about Parker.

Sydney knew Jarod was completely aware of the fact that Sydney indeed refused to tell him what was happening because Nicholas’ life depended on contact. And if they hadn’t had a secure line or SIGNAL to get in touch, they would have been screwed. And just the fact that Sydney didn’t try to contact Jarod in the past five hours since they talked, made it clear that there was nothing wrong with the line. Sydney just didn’t want to talk to him.

And Sydney knew, he had already lost one of them. He had lost Jarod. But in the end it wouldn’t matter because they all together wouldn’t hate them more than he hated himself already. The only thing that kept him… strong enough to go along with his plan was something that he kept on repeating to himself.

He chose Nicholas… against Parker. But they needed her alive, while Nicholas would have been killed in a matter of seconds if Sydney refused to give Parker to them. And why did he chose Parker instead of Jarod? The answer to himself was simple; Because she was there with him… -because he asked her to stay- and because she was the one losing the less. If he would give Jarod back, he would lose his family, the chance to find his mother and the chance to find out the truth ever. Parker on the other hand had no family… Yet Sydney knew, with choosing the seemingly easier option, he was losing Jarod too. He would never forgive him for that. Not that he would ever forgive himself either.

The phone rang and Sydney returned to reality in a matter of seconds. He leant forward and grabbed the phone.

”Sydney!” He said calmly.

”It’s me. They have two marksmen trained at us but they cannot shoot because I’m covering him.” Jarod said. “They will back off as soon as Lyle contacts them that you gave him the address.”

”Call me when you are out!” Was all Sydney replied before he disconnected the call. Then he dialed the number that Lyle gave him when Sydney told him the exact plan… and when Lyle made a few things clear.

”Lyle” Came his voice from the other end of the line. Sydney stopped thinking and all he could concentrate on was the fact that it was happening and he couldn’t screw up. He told Lyle the exact address and hung up.

He could feel the sweat forming on his forehead and temples. Half minute passed. Half minute that seemed like an hour, before his cell rang again.

”Sydney.”

”We are OUT, Sydney!” He heard Jarod shouting, they were obviously in a rush. “They tried to cheat, but couldn’t quite make it!” He said. “They didn’t count with my father and Ethan!” Sydney let out a relieved sigh. “They are chasing us right now” He said and Sydney could hear through the phone as a shot hit the car.

”Jarod, are you alright?” He asked, worried.

”Yes we are, Sydney, we are just in a hurry! You could have asked for help, I could have settled it smoothly Sydney! What is it about! Tell me, NOW!” Jarod shouted. Sydney chuckled.

”It’s about survival!”

”Where’s Parker?” Jarod asked as if he sensed what was happening.

”Jarod!” Sydney spoke.

”Where is she?” But Sydney didn’t reply. He couldn’t. “Sydney? Sydney, are you there? Answer me!” He asked, growing anxious. And reply he did.

”Forgive me!” And with that he hung up. He glanced at the small screen. They talked one and a half minute. He shuddered. It was frightening how fast the time was flying. It was just minutes ago when he woke up that morning, ready to call the Centre with the plan and in the next moment he found himself in the situation where he couldn’t turn the time back as much as he wanted it.

And as he turned the phone off, he cursed the Centre, he cursed God and cursed himself for not telling it to Jarod. Finally regret hit him that maybe he should have asked Jarod for help. But the problem was, the Centre didn’t give him enough time. And if Jarod had been to help, he would have needed to get back as soon as possible but Sydney had to give the Centre an answer even before he could get in touch with Jarod. It was tragic how even “fortune” helped the Centre.

Placing the phone onto the table, next to the gun that Parker put there hours ago, he started at it, silently uttering a “Forgive Me”.

”Was it Jarod?” Came her voice from the doorway. Sydney spun his head and stood up.

”Yes it was.” Parker eyed him as she slowly walked in, stopping in front of him.

”Sounded like you have your issues with him too.” She said. “Asking for… forgiveness is not something you do ever day!” She said. Sydney knew it was her impatience talking out of her. Impatience because she didn’t want to wait, she wanted to force him to finally talk. But standing there, staring into her eyes, he was frozen.

”We all have our sins. Some have… worse than the others.” He said. The way he was staring at her, told her he was not going to talk. She was annoyed but she made a promise. A promise she intended to keep just to prove him wrong, just to prove him that SHE was a woman of her word. She sighed before she shrugged.

”Well I just came for the gun. I don’t want to interrupt you in collecting your thoughts.” She said and bent down to pick up the gun. Pushing her jacket aside, she tugged it into her lower back. “Must be a hard job to chase them around.” She added in a half whisper. She took a step back to leave but he called after her.

”Parker!” Miss Parker turned back to him. “There’s something I… need you to know!” He said and saw that he had her full attention. He took a breath and stared into her eyes but couldn’t speak. As he was staring at her, the silence was interrupted by the clock again.

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. When Parker saw that he wouldn’t talk, she let out a sigh and walked up to him. Stepping close, she faced him.

”I’m starting to think you have no clue what you want. Which is a shame because for so many years, you seemed to be the wise shrink, who always knew a way out. This time however, it seems, that when it comes to YOU, you are far less convinced and confident. How does it feel not knowing what to say?” She asked.

”I know what I want to say, Miss Parker.” He replied after a short silence. “I just… have to collect my strength to say it!” He said and Parker frowned.

”Say what?” She asked.

”To forgive me!” Parker raised her chin and chuckled. She was surprised. She heard noise from outside but she couldn’t bother to turn around. Sydney finally had her full and undivided attention.

”For what exactly?” She asked. Sydney had done so many things that she knew about –and what she didn’t- that a simple forgive me couldn’t cover them. Parker identified the noises. Cars stopped outside, quite abruptly.

”For that!” Sydney said, struggling with his own voice, as he nodded at the window behind her. Parker half turned around to look out. For a second she froze.

Cars, sweepers, Lyle. She watched as her twin jumped out of the car, gave instructions to the many sweepers to get around the house before heading to the door. Parker spun around to look back at Sydney.

She was looking at him without saying anything and for a short while he couldn’t hear anything else except for the ticking of the clock again.

Tick.

Tock.

Tick.

Tock,

And his time was up! The mixture of shock and realization disappeared from Parker’s face and smiled at him. Sydney’s heart sank because she was giving him the most genuine smile she has ever given him. And he died in that moment. She didn’t break eye contact for a second, she just kept staring at him.

Surprising the old man, with a sudden move, she closed the short distance between them and hugged him. Sydney slid his arms around her slim form, holding her as tight as possible.

”I’m sorry! Forgive me, Parker! I had no choice!” He was on the verge of crying but the shock and pain didn’t let him let out the sob that was in his throat. She was holding him too, he could feel it as she had her arms around his neck. Then after a few seconds, she whispered into his ears.

”Damn you, Sydney!” With that she pushed herself away from him. Sydney watched as she reached to her back and while still looking at him, she took out the gun. With a swift motion, she reached out her arm and turned, pointing it to the door.

Just as she faced that direction fully, Lyle and three sweepers entered. They had their guns at them. Two had them aimed at Sydney and one at Parker.

”So nice to see you again!” Lyle said and smiled. But Parker’s expression didn’t change and she didn’t have any sacrastic comments either. She just gazed straight into Lyle’s eyes, with a determination that almost frightened him.

”Put it down, or good old Daddy will never have the chance to betray you again!” He said.

”What makes you think I care about him anymore?” Parker asked.

”Becaue you always have. Because it’s in your nature, Parker. Being loyal to the people who keep you blind, betray and sacrifice you!”

”I’m going to end the game here, Lyle!” She announced.

”If you shoot, the sweepers will take you down!” He said, raising his eyebrows, visibly enjoying the situation.

”Nah, they want me alive!” She said and the smug grin disappeared from his face. Parker knew that Lyle thought she was going to shoot him. She let out a chuckle. “No little brother, I won’t let you go the easier way!” She said, whisper like. “I’m going to make sure you go through hell first, explaining and paying for the Triumvirate for loosing me! And in the end, you will lose and I will win!” She said and a half smile appeared on her lips. Lyle, for a moment thought she went crazy.

”Parker!” Sydney called and took a step forward but the sweepers raised the guns higher.

”I have won, Parker!” Lyle said. “We have you! And no matter even if you shoot me, because you are alone against a bunch of sweepers and eventually… you would end up where you don’t want to. Where you belong!” He said.

”No Lyle! I’m going to take away what they want so much! And it will drive them mad, knowing that no matter what they do, they cannot have what they so desperately wanted!” She lowered her gun a bit and Sydney let out a sigh. He feared she would do something and would get hurt in the process.

Parker turned her head too look at him. She gave him a smile. “I hope your survival was worth it!” She said before he turned back to his twin. Both Sydney and Lyle watched as her smile grew and she chuckled.

Miss Parker uncocked the gun. At the exact same moment realization hit Sydney and Lyle and they both jumped forward. But they were too slow.

Parker raised the gun to her own temple, gazed into Lyle’s eyes, grinned and pulled the trigger. And she won. She won, taking away what the Centre wanted for so long, and what they claimed their own. Her life.

To Be Continued…