Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
Note: MANY MANY thanks to Dianne for beta-reading it for me! You are such a big help! Thanks really a lot!

NOTE: This chapter has not been checked by a beta-reader. If anything bothers you, I’m sorry but you’ll have to put up with it… there’s more to this story than 100 precise grammar. This, of course, doesn’t mean I didn’t proof-read them. The chapter will be replaced by the beta versions once I get them. :) Enjoy!

Unknown Place
Living Room
3.30 pm

Sitting on the couch, Sydney enjoyed the silence. He was sitting in the room, alone, for almost half an hour. When he came back to the house, Parker told him she was going to have a shower so he decided to collect his thoughts to face her. But half an hour passed and he didn’t seem to have any coherent thoughts, apart from the feeling that he was extremely tired. Now that silence covered the house, there were no people walking up and down, no planning ahead but most of all nothing keeping him busy, he felt how worn out he really was.

He didn’t get to sleep the night before at all and the last couple of days… actually weeks cruelly had their after-effects. That is why he was sitting alone in the room, having difficulties keep his eyes open while his head was pounding. He gave in to the urge and closed his eyes. Although his head was still pounding, it felt good to relax.

When he opened his eyes, Parker was standing in front of him. He raised his head and stared into her blue eyes. Her expression was something he had never seen before. She looked rather puzzled and he couldn’t resist a chuckle. Parker raised an eyebrow and folded her arms.

”I believe I must look unusual when I’m relaxing!” He spoke.

“More of like a homeless, trying hard not to fall off the couch… and not to drool.” She said. Sydney raised his eyebrows, so she explained. “You look like hell.”

”Now that’s a compliment from you Miss Parker, that I haven’t got since a long time.”

”You’re welcome.” She replied, casually. But the truth was, she was right. He indeed looked like hell. Sydney remained seated, observing her from the couch.

”So, we are alone.” He said.

”Seems so. Don’t be afraid Syd, I’ll play nice!”

”Don’t worry, I’ve learnt to… handle you.” She raised an eyebrow at that.

”Really?’ Her tone was full of sarcasm. “Why don’t you tell me everything else you have learnt.”

”Don’t rush Parker, we have three days!”

”If you think I’ll be sitting here with you, chit-chatting to catch up with the long lost years, you are wrong.” She said.

”No Miss Parker, I do not expect that from you.” He said and stood up. “You just have to accept that it’s not only about you but about me too. And this means, I also have wills and need for a… pace.” Parker snorted. She had put a short distance between them before she turned back to him. She started at him for a few seconds before she spoke.

”Don’t get into illusions, Sydney.” She said firmly. Sydney nodded. “I’m not sure I can ever think of you as….” She trailed off but looked into his eyes. Sydney nodded as response and remained silent.

For a while none of them said anything and Sydney realized, the three days they were facing, would not go so smoothly. He suddenly had to face that he didn’t count with the fact, that he would have that much difficulties, because it was obviously him who had to be honest first. She had to feel that she CAN trust him. For a second he thought if it was worth it. Was it worth to open up in front of her without being sure how she would react. But looking into her eyes, he made his decision. Yes it was. It was worth it because he wasn’t young anymore and wasn’t sure if he would have another chance like that. He had missed way too many things in his life, this time he refused to let it happen.

“I’ve learnt from all the mistakes in the past.” He started. “I now know what is it like to have people dependent on me, what is it like to have a bond with someone. Even though, my relationships have never been too close. That’s why, to… maintain… that connection and relationship, I would do anything to protect my…. family. You have to know that!”

”Anything.” Parker repeated.

”Anything.” Sydney confirmed.

”And what about you?” He asked, even though he knew exactly what she would do. The question was, would she go through hell for him or not. She averted her eyes from him and replied with a sigh.

”I don’t have a family.” She turned back then and said in a low voice. “But if once someone gets close, I’d do anything. But people have to earn it. And that’s hard.” She said. Sydney understood her, she was clear. He blinked and Parker saw the tired look on his face.

”Get some sleep Sydney.”

”I’m alright, I-“

”Get some sleep!” She repeated, this time giving an order. “If you want to talk, I want you to have a clear head.” She said. “I want you to grasp it all, what I’ve got to say.” She said with a small but cold smile on her lips. When Sydney was about to reply, she patted him on his upper arm and said. “See you later.” With that she simply walked out on him.

Sydney smiled. She was worth it.

--

Unknown Place
Upstairs –Sydney’s room
3.59 pm

Lying on his bed, Sydney stared outside the window. The weather was getting ugly. It was almost 4 pm but it was getting dark, a storm was on it’s way. He could feel the exhaustion taking over him and he knew he was going to fall asleep in a matter of minutes. Slowly closing his eyes, he started to ponder what he would have to do after he woke up.

His first job would have to be, calling Michelle. He didn’t tell it to anyone but it’s been quite a while since he last spoke to her and he had to let her know that he’s out of the Centre. For good. And had to talk to Nicholas. That was his last clear thought. Few seconds later, Sydney was asleep, not being aware of the clouds getting nearer with each minute.

--
Unknown Place
Downstairs
9.18 pm

Parker was bored. Sydney was still sleeping and she spent the whole afternoon alone. Even though the house was big and comfortable, she had seen better ones. There was no TV, no radio. She had no clue how they found this house but they at least had heating. When she earlier checked the fridge, it was almost full with food but she knew that amount wouldn’t last more than 4 days. Most of all because if Jarod had been there, he would have eaten it all in one day, while she herself would be okay with that for a week. So that amount was enough for Sydney and her for a few days.

The wind outside was strong, and it was raining heavily. She could hear the thunder a few times, that got louder each time. Sitting on the couch, she didn’t feel too well. She remembered the last time she was afraid in a storm. She was still a child then and she remembered tiptoeing to his father’s office at home barefoot to silently stand in the doorway. Daddy looked at her and raised his eyebrows. She remembered the realization on his face when she jumped at the sound of another thunder. Her father knew she was afraid and motioned with his hand to go closer. A bit shyly but she did go to him. Her father took her by her hand and lead her to the couch where he covered her with a blanket. She was allowed to sleep there while her father worked through the whole night.

She chuckled. Yet another memory of his methods, how he got her addicted to his affection. He knew most of the people who knew her father wouldn’t believe that story but somehow it made sense to her now. This was exactly his way to keep her close to him. Spoiling yet being strict on her while she was a child and then being proud yet disappointed with her as an adult. She was such a fool. And she used to be so innocent. She cursed the day she was born, hating the Centre and hating herself for falling for him and believing him. And she hated the fact that she still thought of him as her ‘father’.

Another thunder brought her back to reality. Sitting in the room alone, she couldn’t help feeling uncomfortable. She never had problems with the dark but at the moment, everything outside was threatening. There were no curtains on the windows and sitting in the middle of the room with only one lamp giving lights, it felt strange. She didn’t know what was in the darkness, and she felt being watched. Watched by the unknown, whatever was outside, she thought, as she stared at the raindrops on the glass. Shaking off the dark thoughts, she sighed.

Glancing at the clock, she decided to have a rest too. Leaning her head back on the couch, she closed her eyes. Sydney was most probably sleeping all night so she would see him tomorrow. She decided to wait half an hour more before she would go to her own room.

--

Unknown Place
Upstairs –Sydney’s room
Same Time

Sydney woke up to the sound of the thunder. Blinking a few times, he realized it was already dark. A light came in from outside but it wasn’t enough for him to see the whole room. He turned on the light on the night stand and glanced at the clock. It was already past 9 pm. Stretching his muscles, he sat up. Waiting a few moments to fully regain consciousness, he sat silently. When he felt enough strength to get up, he went to the desk where he left the phone.

The line was secure, he decided to call Michelle. Dialing her number, he waited for her to pick up. The phone rang three times. Four times. Five times. Nothing. He frowned and was about to hang up when he heard her voice.

”Michelle, it’s me! We need to talk.” He said. He wanted to go on but she cut him off. He listened to her and his borrows furrowed. “What?” He asked, curious.

The Centre
Raines’ Office
9.30 pm

Raines was sitting at his desk, tapping his fingers. Mr. Cox checked his watch before he glanced at Lyle, who was just standing at the window, staring outside, his hands in his pockets. They were all silent. They were waiting. The only sound was Raines’ fingertips on the desk. The wheezing ghoul took a sigh and was about to say something when the phone rang.

The seemingly calm look on Lyle disappeared and he was at the phone in a second. He clicked on loudspeaker, and answered it.

”Lyle.”

”If you dare to hurt him I swear to God Lyle, I will kill you with my own hands.“ Lyle chuckled while Cox shared a satisfied smile with Raines.

”Good to hear you too…!” Lyle replied and a smug grin appeared on his face.

”Nicholas has got nothing to do with Centre business! “

”Oh but he does!” Lyle said. “YOU made him Centre business.”

”If you touch him, I-“

”Nah, do you really think I would harm my… brother?” Lyle said.

”I think a lot more worse things about you, Lyle.”

”Oh I could get hurt by that!” He said and heard the frustrated sigh at the other end of the line. “Well, everything depends on you, Sydney. If you play nice and do what we want, we won’t hurt him.”

”What do you want.” Lyle intentionally remained silent for a while. Knowing that Sydney was tense, he waited a few seconds before he replied.

”You know exactly what we want.” He said smugly.

“Say it!” Sydney shouted.

”Nicholas right now is completely fine, except for a tiny hump on the head but oh well… we all have had something like that, have we not.” Knowing that he was playing with Sydney’s nerves, he suddenly changed to a serious tone. “We want either both or at least one of them. You have two hours to decide. If you don’t call back with the decision and details until 11.30 pm… Nicholas will be dead and I will make sure you won’t see his remains either!”

”I can’t-“

”Two hours, Sydney! Choose carefully! You surely don’t want me to harm my own brother, do you? DAD?” He asked and with that disconnected the line.

Unknown Place
Upstairs –Sydney’s Room
9.50pm

20 minuets passed and Sydney still didn’t know what to do. He had two hours. One and a half to be precise. They had Nicholas. The game changed and so did the rules. He knew Lyle was going to kill his son. His son was about to kill his other son. It all felt surreal and something he refused to think about. He wanted a chance with Parker but not with Lyle. He didn’t care if he would rot in hell for that, but Lyle was a different person than he was at birth.

He was the Centre. So was he, so was Jarod and Parker. But not Nicholas. He deserved a chance in life and not ending up as yet another victim of the Centre. He couldn’t have been able to look in the mirror again… though he doubted this option would be available for him ever again. He needed to think. FAST. Parker. He had to talk to Parker, she could help him.

--

Unknown Place
Downstairs

10.03 pm

Sydney rushed into the living room. He looked for her everywhere but she was nowhere to be found. The kitchen was empty as well and he frowned. Where was she? For a moment he thought she had left but when he stepped closer to the couch, he realized why he couldn’t find her. The back of the sofa was covering her from his view as she was lying there, asleep.

He walked around and stopped in front of her. He wanted to wake her up but something about the way she was lying there, didn’t let him interrupt her. Her facial expression was so much different. Her features were soft, her borrows weren’t furrowed and there was no strict expression there like usually. She looked peaceful and he didn’t have the heart to disturb her.

Watching her, he remembered Nicholas again. Nicholas, who, on the contrary to them all, most likely spent most of his life like Parker was at the moment. Peaceful and calm. And he couldn’t let the Centre take that away from him. He simply couldn’t. Sydney didn’t like the direction where his thoughts were heading.

Deciding that he needed help, he wanted to call Jarod. He was about to dial when it occurred to him. They were out of contact. Jarod said he was going to get in touch with him as soon as he got a phone. He cursed silently. This was not looking good. He started to consider again to tell it to Parker but….

”You look like you just saw Mother Theresa in vision!” Came her voice from the couch. Returning to reality, Sydney turned his head to look at her. He couldn’t ask for help from her.

”Wish it had been her!” He replied. Parker just raised an eyebrow before she shook her head.

”Well while you are seeking for her, I’ll let my sanity rest as long as I still have it.” She said and stood up. “See you tomorrow.”

”Good night!” He said shortly. Even though he seemed just like usually, something told Parker that something happened. Or was about to happen. She wasn’t sure. But she knew something was up. She frowned but didn’t ask. She knew he would tell her soon anyways, after all they were there on their own. She nodded and left him alone.

Unknown Place
Living Room
11.20 pm

Sydney sat on the couch, his head bent forward, covered with his hands. His time was almost up. The two hours that passed were pure agony. Agony because he made a decision, agony because he managed to come up with a solution and agony because of the pain of that solution.

Michelle’s voice was still in his ears. She sounded exactly the same as a few years ago when Nicholas was held hostage. The shaking of her voice that made his stomach tremble. The moment when he realized he could have lost his son. He felt it now again but this time it was twice as hard. Three times harder to be precise. He wished back then not to go through it again. But here he was, sitting in a room alone and the life of his son was in his hands.

Nicholas was useless for the Centre. Apart from having Sydney in check-mate, his son wasn’t good for anything for them. And Sydney knew if he didn’t give the right answer to them, his use would be gone and so would his life. He gave him life. And now it was up to him if he took it, or let him grow old.

A sudden thought made him shiver. He wished he wouldn’t have survived Dachau. Slowly those long years of hurt and pain were putting up with his childhood and he didn’t know how he could take it. Survival indeed. But this time, it wasn’t about his survival. This time he had the choice of three people’s life.

He wished he could have given his own but that wasn’t what they wanted. They didn’t ask for his life because they have already taken it decades ago. Without asking. That was the moment when he realized how alone he was. He didn’t have Jacob anymore. He didn’t have Catherine. He didn’t have Jarod. And he most probably never had Parker.
--

The Centre
Raines’ office
11.23 pm

”He won’t call!” Raines said.

”He will!” Lyle replied.

--
Unknown Place
Living Room
11.24 pm

The deadline was getting closer and Sydney knew he had to make the final decision. He had to decide if he did want to go with his plan or not. Of course he didn’t but at that moment there, he didn’t see any other choices. It was catch 22. He even thought of killing himself but then, he would have left everyone in mess.

--
The Centre
Raines’ Office
11.25 pm

”He. Won’t. Call.!” Raines hissed again.

”He will!” Lyle replied in the same tone as earlier.

Unknown Place
Living Room
11.26 pm

Sydney held the phone in his hand. He had typed in the number, all he needed to do was to press a button and it would dial. He ran his thumb over it but didn’t press it yet. He couldn’t. He was afraid to press it.

Nicholas’ life depended on it. He was no use for the Centre, they could kill him easily, throwing him away like a piece of garbage. But in the moment, Nicholas was their key-player. The main figure who decided everything. No, Sydney thought. He was. After all he was the one who only needed to press the button and inform them about what he decided.

--
The Centre
Raines’ Office
11.27 pm

”It was a waste of time! He won’t call!” Raines said, impatiently.

”He will call!” Lyle replied again. Raines just let out a frustrated sigh.

--
Unknown Place
Living Room
11.28 pm

Sydney couldn’t take it anymore. His hand was shaking and he could feel the tears forming in his eyes. They were asking for the people he cared for the most. All of a sudden he couldn’t understand how could he once work for them. Sydney couldn’t contain it any longer and a sorrowful sob shook his entire body. But pulling himself together all of a sudden, he took a deep breath. He wiped his tears, cleared his throat and let out a long sigh. Putting his elbow on his knee, he supported his head on his bent arm.

And he pressed the button.

The Centre
Raines’ Office
11.29 pm

Raines glanced at his watch before he turned to Lyle from his seat.

”Kill him.” He ordered. Lyle was about to protest when the phone rang. He looked into Raines’ eyes before he pressed the button, allowing him, Raines and Cox to hear what Sydney had to say.

”It was about time!” Lyle said. “I hope you made the good decision, Sydney!”

”I can’t give you both of them.” He said. He waited a few seconds and the three men shared a look, expecting him to go on. “But I can give you Parker.” Raines let out a sigh and leant back in his chair. A satisfied, smug grin appeared on Lyle’s face while Cox just smiled at him before he nodded.

To Be Continued…