Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
Note: MANY MANY thanks to Dianne for beta-reading it for me! You are such a big help! Thanks really a lot!

NOTE: This chapter has not been checked by a beta-reader. If anything bothers you, I’m sorry but you’ll have to put up with it… there’s more to this story than 100 precise grammar. This, of course, doesn’t mean I didn’t proof-read them. The chapter will be replaced by the beta versions once I get them. :) Enjoy!
Unknown Place
Upstairs –Jarod’s room
9.45 am

Jarod’s hands were in a fist as he was watching the DSA for the second time. Ethan could sense the anger and pain of his brother. He was angry and sad for Angelo. The younger man glanced back at the screen too.

Angelo carefully put the young child into the air-vents. The boy was still almost half-asleep, he wasn’t completely aware of what was happening to him. The empath placed the bars back to the exit of the vents and silence settled down in the room. Silence and emptiness. Almost half minute passed when the door opened and a sweeper stormed in. He cursed before he turned to the door. Seconds later, Raines came in.

Pulling his oxygen-tank behind, the evil monster let out a frustrated sigh before he turned to his sweeper.

”It must have been Angelo!” The cleaner said.

”I guessed that myself, thank you! We don’t have time for that now, our pretender is on his way back. Go and prepare everyone! We will deal with this later”

”Yes, sir!” He replied and left. Raines looked around the last time and murmured.

”It’s time I destroy what I did.” He said. “I know you can hear me, Angelo! And I’ll make sure I’ll be the last person you hear!” With that he turned and walked out.

Jarod turned the DSA off. There wasn’t anything else on it but it wasn’t necessary anyways. He finally knew he had nothing to go back for. The child was out of harm’s way, that was for sure. In fact, even the Centre had no clue where he was. Angelo got him out before he and Parker were brought back, which meant, he most likely was at some family. How Angelo managed to do it, Jarod had no idea. In spite of his helpfulness and eternal friendship, Angelo had a side of his own… personality that was a mystery even to him.

There were times when he wondered if Angelo really was not able to communicate in the normal way with people. But many occasions proved that the damage that Raines caused, was not only horrible and destroying but permanent as well. Jarod was some kind of relieved. Angelo took care of the last possible trap from the Centre. Normally he would be worried but Jarod was confident that Angelo took the kid to a good place. But to where, was a mystery. The only person who knew it, brought that information to the grave… if he had a grave at all, he thought, his fist tightening. But Jarod wasn’t sure if he wanted to know it. He just made a vow to look out for the Centre, including their search for the child… and them.

”He reminds me of my… mother!” Jarod heard. With a frown, he turned to his brother.

”Your mother?” He asked.

”Yes. Angelo sacrificed himself. Just like she did!” He said. “He knew that Raines wanted to kill him. Still he…. stayed behind. Intentionally.” Jarod slowly approached Ethan. Putting a hand on his shoulder, not looking at him though, he just slowly whispered.

”The time when they’ll pay for it will come!” He said and added with a deep growl. “The time when they will pay for EVERYTHING… will eventually come!” Ethan raised his head to look at him but he didn’t reply. After a few seconds of silence, Jarod left the room.
--

Unknown Place
Upstairs –Miss Parker’s room
9.50 am

”I’ve talked to him.” Sydney silently murmured. He watched as Parker slowly turned back to him, with a frown. Then she raised her eyebrows, along with her chin, expecting an explanation. “You want truth. So I’m not going to lie to you.” He simply said. “I talked to Jarod. I knew he had asked you to join him. Before I came to suggest… my idea, I thought it would be wise to ask him about it too.”

Parker folded her arms and stepped close. She had agreed to try to sort it, so she tried to remain as calm as possible. In an obviously forced but silent tone, she replied.

”If you want something from me, then ask me first and not Jarod. Or is it just the fact that he’s the first place at you and you turn to him first even with things, that doesn’t concern him?” Sydney replied carefully.

”We both know it concerns him.” She wanted to bit back but he spoke, to avoid the downfall of their earlier result. “But what matters now is that I will tell you whatever you want to know.” He said and he obviously got her attention.

”Whatever I want?” She repeated and he nodded.

”But for that, I want the same.” She just stared at him for a few seconds before she replied.

”I’ll think about it.”

Her attention wandered. She suddenly could not ignore the bags under his eyes. He was worn out. For a moment she even felt sorry for him but her frustration didn’t let her go soft on him. And honestly, she didn’t know if she ever would be able to see their matter with a clear head. But she had to try. She had no clue whether they were going to solve it or not but she was sure of one thing; she had to put this behind as soon as possible.

They both heard a soft knock, and turning to the door, they watched as Jarod stepped in. He stopped when he saw their attention at him and waited a short while before he spoke.

”I hope I’m not interrupting!”

”Not at all.” Sydney replied. “We’re done. For now.” Jarod raised his eyebrows. For a moment he thought his mentor wasn’t successful. “We agreed that we are staying here for three days.”

”Oh.” Came his reply. The half joy and half sadness was visible on his face. “I just came because our meeting was scheduled to 9.30 but before we go… I needed to talk to you two!” He said. Sydney turned toward him and Parker slowly walked away, leaning against the window.

”Go ahead!” Sydney said. When Jarod saw that he got Parker’s attention too, he started.

”Originally, I was planning to go back to the Centre for a last time.” He said, making both Sydney and Parker frown. Parker remained silent but his mentor didn’t.

”Why?” He asked.

”We forgot about the child.” He said. “It’s obvious that he’s… not your brother, “ he said, turning to Parker. “… but he’s just an innocent child who cannot be treated the way I was… the way we all were, by the Centre.”

”Jarod, that child cannot stay there that’s true but you are in no condition to go back there. You are hardly in the condition to drive in the first place!” Sydney said in a firm tone. But Jarod somehow expected it.

”As it seems now, that problem was solved!” He said. Jarod noticed Parker’s intense glare. She didn’t say it but she was most probably thinking about the child herself. “Angelo got him out!”

”Angelo?” They asked in union.

”But…” Sydney started… “How do you know?”

”Ethan got a DSA from him… it shows when Angelo got him out. Right before…” He took a breath. “Right before Raines entered.”

”Did anything-“

”No! He found only the empty room.”

”So the boy is out!” The old man said. “We just don’t know where.”

”And knowing Angelo… we most probably never will.” Jarod said and Parker rolled her eyes.

”Ah don’t be that overly dramatic! He knows where he his. So this brings us back to the point, when we DO have to get back there.” Jarod was surprised at her. She was willing to save Angelo? But he knew better than to ask. First of all because somehow, it wasn’t too weird. And on the second hand, she always had her reasons for everything. Sometimes she was a mystery even to him.

But there was something she didn’t know yet. Jarod glanced at Sydney first before he returned his gaze to Parker. He took a deep breath.

”What?” Parker asked. She knew there was something she didn’t know.

”We don’t have anyone to go back for, anymore.” Jarod said and Parker frowned. She blinked and raised her chin. Angelo. It couldn’t take much for her to figure. That’s why they would never figure where the child is. That’s why they had nothing to go back for. She raised her eyebrows, intended to talk but she didn’t know what to say.

Sydney, seeing her expression, spoke. After all, Jarod didn’t know the full story yet either.

”Without Angelo, we wouldn’t be here now.” The older man said. “Broots shut down the security system of the Centre but that worked only for a while. So we had to move fast to get to the hangar.” Sydney finished for a second to look at Parker before he went on. “The Major and I aren’t young anymore and we couldn’t carry Jarod as fast as we planned to. Ethan already had you on the plane but when we got there, the sweepers found us. We got into a bloody fight and in order to get away, we needed just a few more seconds. Angelo knew this and… just when we needed it the most, he came to our rescue. He had done everything to let us get away.” He said, finishing it with gazing into Jarod’s eyes.

”Angelo is dead.” Parker stated and Sydney just nodded. She took a deep breath. She felt sorry…
--

Unknown Place
10.45 am
Living Room

Sitting on the couch, Broots was observing the others. Ethan was just listening silently, watching as the others were planning. Jarod, Sydney and Major Charles were discussing details about leaving, meeting the others and… how to stay in contact with Sydney and Miss Parker.

Sydney just said a short note about that. He didn’t want to explain it to the audience. Broots could understand this but he was curious as hell. It seemed they managed to find some solution. This however, also saddened him. Miss Parker was finally back and he was just going away. Because he couldn’t stay for sure.

He couldn’t stay because he was already missing his girl like hell. He couldn’t take another day, he had to see his daughter. She was his life. And on the other hand, Miss Parker would throw him out before he could even consider staying. If she meant business, it was her business alone. And she obviously was this at the moment.

Surprisingly she was pretty much silent too. She was present, she was paying attention but she didn’t say a word. At one moment she seemed somewhere else but when he was sure that she wasn’t paying attention, she rolled her eyes and had her so typical one or two sarcastic comments whenever someone had a suggestion.

Broots just smiled at those time, she was back. Once she even caught him smiling and gave him a look. This made him grin even more until she raised an eyebrow and bent her head to the right. Then she wasn’t funny anymore because she was giving him her so famous glare. His smile quickly disappeared and was pretending to pay attention to Jarod. Of course he couldn’t fool her, almost half a minute later, feeling something strange, he looked back at her and she was STILL glaring. That was when he started to sweat. Much for his surprise, it was her turn to be amused. She chuckled and with a satisfied grin, winked at him, making him going red. She was playing with him. She indeed was back.

But this was a while ago and since about 15 minutes, she remained silent. She had nothing to add to the plans. She was not going with them. Sydney and Jarod on the other hand were busy working out details. They all agreed that first they were going to join the others for a day or two. After that, they were going to look for another place that is hidden and safe enough for all of them. And then when they would be all together, they would decide how to go on.

”I am going to get a new cell for myself and will leave mine here for you.” Jarod told his mentor. “This means, we will be out of contact for… only a day. It isn’t too much and if anything unexpected happens, which I tried to avoid, you two just move out here with the phone and eventually I will be in touch.”

Jarod did everything to turn the Centre’s attention to the other coast. He has set up a false lead. A realistic false lead and noticed that the Centre has sent out a sweeper team. Two actually. Jarod knew that the Centre was beyond pissed off. The Pretender was aware of the fact that they reached the point when he had to be a lot more careful. The game and the rules have changed, they had none of their most precious people anymore and knew that the Centre has lost it’s “funny” tone about bringing him back. For a long time they thought that his absence was temporary. But now that he not only made it clear that he would never return, he took others away too. And the Centre was after them. Seriously.

”Alright. This sounds good.” Sydney said.

”Everything is settled then?” The Major asked.

“Seems so.” Jarod said.

”Great. I’m going packing then.” His father said. He rose from his seat and walked out. Ethan followed him and Jarod shut down the lap-top. He too had some packing to do. When he picked it up, he looked at Parker. She nodded and they both left.

Sydney and Broots remained in the room, alone. For a few seconds silence settled between them. Sydney was obviously thinking about something. Quite intensely and he looked horrible. He looked too worn out. The effects of the last couple of days were showing on him and he couldn’t deny it. He also couldn’t have denied the lack of sleep from the previous night. The tech cleared his throat before he talked.

”So you… uhm, managed to find an accord?” He asked. His voice obviously interrupted him in his thoughts and he jerked his head to look at the younger man.

”Do you really think it’s easy to find an accord with her?” He asked.

”No its not” He said, laughing. Sydney just gave him a small smile.

”We are staying to try it.” The old man said. “I “got” three days.” He said.

”Three days!” Broots repeated, smiling. After a short silence, he spoke again. “You know Sydney, what I told you earlier, I-“

”Contained a great deal of truth”. He said getting up. He patted the tech on the shoulder and this movement told Broots that they were okay. Sydney was about to step out when Broots called after him.

”I hope you will fight a solution!” He said. Sydney nodded and left. An idea crept into the tech’s mind. Suddenly it didn’t seem weird that the two of them were related anymore. It occurred to him that they did have many similarities.

They both had their own little secrets, their own hurt that they refused to share with anyone else and their stubbornness. And also the fact that they were never good with emotions. Emotions and feelings meant to those people they cared for. He chuckled, proud of himself. Then he stood up. He had SOME packing to do. He was going to see his little girl.
--

Unknown Place
11.05 am
Upstairs –Jarod’s Room

Sitting on the bed, Parker watched Jarod packing. Her thoughts wandered and soon she was gazing outside the window, lost in thoughts. The events have gotten fast in the last few weeks and in just a short matter of time, she found herself outside the Centre, in fact in their “wanted” list. She always knew something similar would happen though she was more expecting the black-list.

She couldn’t stop wondering how she managed to avoid the permanent memory loss. It was weird but the fact was, she could thank it to Raines and his greed for power. She knew the Triumvirate wanted her memory wiped out completely but Raines must have had his reasons –just like always. But this time, it was his downfall. This time it was for her benefit. And it satisfied her, even though the thought that she was close to end up as a nobody, turned that by the Centre, sent a chill down her spine.

Shaking herself mentally, she turned back to Jarod, to see him standing with folded arms, staring at her with an amazed expression on his face.

”What?” She asked.

”It’s so… weird.” He said. “A months ago I would have never imaged you being here with me. To be honest, I didn’t expect it to happen… any time SOON.”

”Weird things happen.” She said with a sigh.

”Yeah, those always do.” He said. A sad smile appeared on his face and he turned to the window. Sliding his hands into his pockets, he just stood, thinking. Parker remained silent for a while but she knew where his thoughts were.

”You will find her.” She said and he nodded, not convincing her that he himself was convinced about that. She stood up to walk out. She stopped next to him, her shoulder almost touching his. With a side-way glance, she spoke. “Hang on, Wonder boy, if you give up, she won’t be able to find you on her own.” She said. Jarod turned to look at her. Looking straight into her eyes, he replied.

”I can’t do it alone, anymore.” She stared at him for a short while before she replied.

”You are not alone.” She said. Jarod tried to figure what she exactly meant. Turning away, she said. “You have your family.” With that she stepped away but Jarod grabbed her arm and pulled her back. He kissed her on the lips, hard, making sure she will have a fond memory until they were going to be apart –again. When she put her hand on the back of his neck, he was relieved. They kissed and Jarod knew they had a chance to make it. He just had to make sure she would see it his way too.

When she pulled back, she kept her hand at it’s place. Jarod touched his forehead against hers, his eyes closed.

”See you soon.” She whispered and stepped away. Jarod’s hand slipped from her waist and he watched as she walked out, without a glance back. He knew it was her goodbye. For a while. He took a deep breath and returned to packing.
--

Unknown Place
14.50 pm
Outside

Sydney watched as Jarod put the last bag into the van. They barely had anything with them, in fact, each of them had only one. The Major even stated that on their way, they would have to buy a few things for themselves because their stuff were lost. When the Pretender closed the van, Sydney saw as the younger man winced. The scars on his shoulder were still obviously bothering him, he just wasn’t saying it. He sighed. Just like Parker. Parker, who was not there.

Sydney figured that she and Jarod had talked, his protégé seemed fully settled. Broots on the other hand stole a few glances of the door but nothing. She wasn’t the goodbye person, and it was her way of showing that they had to keep in mind, that she was independent on her own.

The Major looked once or twice towards the door himself. He hoped to talk to the old Miss Parker again but he knew their time would come some when later. Jarod mentioned him with one sentence that Parker would join him later. But whether his son was going to stay with them or was going on his separate way until they find Margaret, he had no clue about yet. He figured, it was a decision to be made a few days later.

Ethan seemed calm and comfortable. The voices obviously weren’t bothering him and just a sight of him told the others that they didn’t need to worry. Jarod didn’t exactly know how that inner sense of him worked but he was sure of one thing. If Ethan was calm, he didn’t have to worry about him.

”Everything in?” The Major asked. Both Broots and Ethan nodded. “Who’s going to drive first?” The Major asked.

”I will.” Jarod said.

”Forget it.” His father said and turned away, closing the discussion. The puzzled expression on his protégé’s face made Sydney chuckle. Jarod grinned and turned to the old man. He reached out a hand and Sydney shook it.

”See you in a couple of days, I hope.” Jarod said and Sydney nodded.

”Most probably.”

”Sydney, consider it. My offer stands.” His mentor’s smile reassured him.

”I have a few things to settle but I think we will find a solution!” Jarod looked him in the eye for a last time and got into the backseat of the van. With a glance he saw Ethan getting in from the outside. Sydney nodded and the young man waved at him before he got in.

Surprisingly, the Major stopped in front of him. They stared at each other for a while without saying anything. Jarod dropped a line telling him that things got complicated and told him shortly about his relation to Miss Parker. Looking at each other, they both knew what the other was thinking. The Major reached out a hand and Sydney politely shook it.

”Good luck.” He said and Sydney nodded. The atmosphere still wasn’t friendly between them, but it was still better than parting with a fight. The Major looked him in the eye and turned. When he closed the door to the driver’s seat, Broots stepped up to the old man.

With a sad expression, Broots hugged him. Sydney couldn’t help but laugh as he unwrapped himself from the tech.

”Broots, it’s okay. We don’t say goodbye forever!” He said.

“Hope so, Sydney, hope so!” Just a glance at the tech’s eyes told Sydney how much the younger man has changed. The experiences, the effects and the horrible secrets of the last couple of years has changed his friend too and by now he could say, that Broots belonged to the same group where they all were. The group of tortured, the group of people who lost hope. But it was a brand new day and Sydney knew had to work on his friends before he would sink to their level.

Sydney was glad he found another aim in his life. Another aim which was most probably going to help him too. Curing Broots was hopefully helping curing himself too. But before all those, of course, he had someone else to take care of. Sydney saw the look on Broots face. He talked to him silently.

”I will tell her you said goodbye!” Broots looked at him and nodded thank you. “Give Debbie a hug from me.”

”I will Sydney, I will. Though I’m sure after all the hugging she will get from me, she won’t want to have another one!” He said, laughing. Sydney shook his hand and Broots turned to leave too. Sydney smiled. After all, the tech wasn’t a lost case. When the van drove off, Sydney folded his arms and took a deep breath. His time has come. Turning towards the house, he looked up at it.

After standing there in silence, alone for almost a minute, he collected all his strength, and slowly walked toward the door. He had three days.

To Be Continued…