Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
MANY MANY thanks to Dianne for beta-reading it for me! You are such a big help! Thanks really a lot!
Phi4858: Thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed it even after a hard day:D Thanks so much for the feedback, I appriciate it a lot!
Dolphin18paradise: Promise is a promise! Here we go!
Nans: Hey there! I haven’t talked to you in ages! I’m going to send you a mail! Thanks for reviewing!
Jenifer: Here you go:D Thank you!

Unknown Place
Upstairs
12:40am

Hours had passed since his little confrontation with Sydney and Jarod hadn’t spoken to him since then. Sydney was most probably in his room or taking a walk because he hadn’t seen him.

Major Charles, Ethan and Broots had left about half an hour ago to go to the place where they could make a safe call to the others to make arrangements for them to leave. They’d all agreed that it was dangerous to stay in one place for so long because they weren’t very far from the Centre; they were still in Delaware and that was not a good thing. So, agreeing that they would be back before it got dark, the three men had left.

For some reason Parker hadn’t left her room either. Jarod couldn’t stop thinking about the fact that she might be having problems. He could hide it and suppress it so far because, maybe he hadn’t really grasped it yet, that she was missing. He missed her and deciding that an insult or two was worth checking to see if she was feeling okay, he turned and headed to her room.

Jarod knocked like a gentleman. He waited a few seconds, but no reply came. When he raised his hand to knock again, he heard her.

“What?”

Jarod grinned. Weird, but he’d started to like her ‘what’. “It’s me Jarod.” He said. “Can I come in?”

“That depends on why you want to come in.” She shot back.

Jarod raised an eyebrow, strange question. “I want to check on you.” He replied.

The door opened and she stood in front of him. “What a surprise.” She said.

The Centre

1:10 pm
Renewal Wing

“Great! We not only lost Jarod this time, but everyone else too. If we don’t come up with a solution soon, heads will roll.” Lyle told Cox. “And ours sure as hell will be among them.”

“Yours probably, but I wasn’t officially assigned to the pretenders, so I have no blame to take in this one.” Cox smiled.

“If I fall, you can be sure I’ll take you with me.” Lyle said before he left. He needed to find Raines; he had to find out if the ghoul had any plans on what to do. If not, he had to plan his survival somehow.

Cox smiled, turning his attention back to his newest work, he admired the animal in front of him. He’d given eternal life to yet another small creature and it felt damn good. Just like the fact that he might get some more power very soon.

Unknown Place
Upstairs
1:14 pm

Jarod and Parker stood facing each other in silence. Ever since he’d entered, she’d refused to talk to him. Her only comment was a not so friendly “You’ve checked ME, now you can check the outside to make sure everything’s fine there too.” And when he’d tried to insist that either he or Sydney should examine her, she’d stopped communicating with him.

She was being extremely stubborn and he didn’t understand it. Miss Parker had always been hotheaded, but she was smart too and she always understood when it was about serious things and her health was among those. Any person thinking clearly would understand that if they wanted to harm her, they would have done it and that her headaches and blackouts might be a serious problem. At first Jarod thought she refused because she wasn’t thinking clearly, but then he dismissed the idea because he figured a person’s wit must work just fine to be able to make sarcastic comments.

This left only one theory, which he could actually understand. She had always hated doctors and she’d seen a great deal of them in the Centre in the last few days. And whatever they’d done to her certainly hadn’t made her love them. He himself had issues regarding that matter, so it was easy for him to understand. Still, her condition was not good and they needed to find out what was wrong.

This reminded him of his own condition. His thoughts were focused on so many other things that he’d almost forgotten the fact that his wounds ached from time to time. Damn Raines, he would never forget the pain that bastard had caused. From the corner of his eye he saw Sydney step next to him, interrupting his thoughts.

They were all ready for the next round, Jarod thought. Miss Parker’s glare turned to Sydney and Jarod noticed for the second time that something had changed; she was staring at the both of them in another way. Still distant and cold, but it reminded him of the Miss Parker that was aware of the Centre’s horrible things, at least of those that he himself had shown her. He dismissed that idea though, because he was sure if she had regained her memories, she would have jumped on Sydney. The man would already be in pieces, even buried.

Maybe he just wanted to see that change, maybe it was just his mind trying to see something that wasn’t there. He wanted her back so bad, he wanted to fight with her like they used to and… he wanted to discuss with her what had happened between them because it wasn’t about “you run, I chase” anymore. Maybe she just wasn’t feeling well, or had something on her mind that might have caused the slight change. After all, he had to face facts; if the Centre had brainwashed her… then it was for good.

“Miss Parker, it’s important that we at least discuss your condition.” Sydney said without any unnecessary speech.

“I’ve spent the last three days here. You have been trying to examine me ever since. I’m telling you for the last time; I’m fine. If you cannot accept that, it’s your problem. I’ve made a decision, and I’m leaving tomorrow morning.”

“What?” They asked in union. “It’s unnecessary!” Jarod said. “We are all leaving as soon as possible. We cannot stay, the Centre is too close and they could find us at any time. It’s better to stay together.”

“Generous offer, but I’m going my way!”

“Miss Parker, I’ve been on the run for more than 6 years now, I know what I’m talking about. If you go on your own, they will find you because you have no experience.”

“Thanks for underestimating me, but I will take my own chances!”

“Or are you planning to go back straight to the Centre?” Sydney asked with a frown.

“No. I have no connection to them, I’ll never go back.” She said nonchalantly.

“Then it just seems logical to stay with us.” Jarod insisted. This wasn’t a good turn; she couldn’t leave, they would find her, but most of all, she couldn’t leave him.

“I don’t have any connections here either.” She said coldly. “And now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to get some fresh air. Alone! It seems only the trees are capable of giving me what I have been seeking for a while now. Silence!” With that, she passed them by and walked out.

“We can’t let her leave like that.” Sydney said.

Jarod sighed. “She seems determined. How are you planning to keep her here? Lock her up?” He asked sarcastically.

“If it’s necessary.” Sydney said with a shrug.

“We cannot keep her here against her will.”

“Jarod, don’t you see? It’s time I make the right decision.” The psychiatrist said.

“The right decision for who? For her or yourself, Sydney?” The pretender asked, looking straight into his eyes.

“Right now, they might be the same.”

Jarod took a deep breath and walked to the window. Sydney knew something was bothering his protégé, so he waited for him to speak. He was struggling, as if he was on the verge of making a hard decision. After several seconds of silence, Jarod spoke. “It doesn’t seem right, Sydney. All of her life… all of OUR lives we have been told what to do, the choices were made for us by other people. Other people who didn’t care about what WE wanted, only about their own interests. And I feel like I’m about to do the same now, just like them. Deciding what is best for her.”

“No, Jarod. We are not like them. We are not making choices for her because of what is good for US.” He said, stepping closer to Jarod.

The younger man raised his head to look at him. “Are you sure?” He asked.

Sydney stared at him for a moment. Yes, they were, they were trying to make a choice for her without her presence, considering what satisfied THEM. One thing reassured Sydney however; they did not plan to take advantage of her. They didn’t want to use her; they just wanted her to themselves, wanted the best for her even though she might not see that at first. For long years, he’d ignored, accepted and took the pain that the Centre implied on him, on Jarod and on Miss Parker. It was time to raise his voice and be confident about trying to turn things to the way he wanted them, even though it might seem Centre-style. Sydney was ready to act to make things better, whatever it took. Determined, Sydney nodded. “I guess we will just have to wait.” The old man finally replied. “Wait and see what happens.”

Jarod nodded. After a long time, he finally saw the confident psychiatrist who knew what he was doing, just like when Jarod needed his advice or help, and it reassured the younger man.

Unknown Place
Downstairs
9:50 pm

“Miss Parker, please. It’s not a good idea to leave.” Broots said.

That was the point when Parker got frustrated. “What do YOU have to do with this?” She bit back angrily.

Jarod and Sydney have been trying to talk some sense into her, giving her reasons why she should stay with them, what they could offer to her and what the possibility was of the Centre finding her if she was on her own. She had to face it, Jarod had good reasons. He was giving her a good argument, she thought.

Major Charles didn’t say too much, he just tried to pay attention to both parts. He, however, had the same opinion as his son and Sydney. She should stay. The reason was simple; he had developed a relationship with her and he didn’t want any harm to come to her. She remained patient for quite a long time, surprising them all.

Ethan just sat in a far corner, a mysterious smile appearing on his face from time to time. Jarod noticed it, but he didn’t have time to ask him about it. He wasn’t the only who’d caught the young man’s expression, though. Major Charles wasn’t sure if they were smiling for the same thing, but he found the situation a bit amusing himself. Three men trying to convince her to stay with them, the other two were only silent because the others had already said everything. He couldn’t stop wondering what the Miss Parker he’d confronted in the Centre and not so long ago in Maine would say if she knew how many people seemed to care for her. There was one conclusion for the Major from this. The woman was not what she tried so hard to show - a cold, heartless bitch who didn’t have many people who cared for her.

Catherine Parker had given her life to save his son. She’d even given birth to his child. He owed her. Twice. The Major had rescued her daughter and now he knew he had to do it once again, but on a different level this time. He was going to make it even, he thought. Major Charles knew he had to do it for Catherine Parker, for Miss Parker and from the way Jarod looked at her, for his son.

“I- I um… I know it’s not my business, but…” Broots tried to defend himself, but she cut him off.

“One more word and I will make it your business.” She growled, but the tone made it clear and Broots decided to remain quiet for the rest of the night.

“You are targeting your anger and rejection at the wrong people, Miss Parker.” Jarod said. “We are not the enemy, the Centre is. If you leave on your own, they will find you and I think you know what they will do to you.”

“On your own, you will stay in doubt, full of questions with secrets clouding your past. Is that what you want?” Sydney asked, surprising Jarod with his question. This however seemed to grab Miss Parker’s interest.

“What would you know about my doubts and questions?” She asked.

Sydney took a step closer, folded his arms and replied. “I know enough.” He replied. The look she gave him didn’t indicate that his answer would make her consider staying.

Jarod didn’t know what else to do. She was incredibly stubborn, he had never seen her like that and what he wanted to avoid the most seemed to be the only solution – forcing her to stay

That was when Major Charles knew he needed to use the connection that he dared to believe he had with her. Standing up from his seat, he stepped closer to Miss Parker and spoke. “Miss Parker, my son and Sydney are right. The Centre is dangerous and considering that you keep having these black-outs, it would be dangerous to leave on your own.” Parker just stared at him.

Sydney folded his arms, took a step closer and faced Jarod’s father. “Major, maybe you should stay out of this one.” He said.

Major Charles brows furrowed and he locked his gaze on Sydney. Standing between the two men, Parker let out a sigh, waiting to find out what was going to happen. They had an intense glare between each other and it seemed to become ugly. “Why, exactly?” He asked.

“Because it doesn’t concern you.” Sydney replied simply.

Jarod held his breath for a few seconds. This was the situation that could lead to two things - a really ugly fight or letting go of it completely. Jarod just wished his father would make the right decision. After another few seconds of intense glaring, the Major seemed to go for the latter one.

Major Charles knew exactly what made Sydney say that. He could finally see it in his eyes. He felt just like he had a few days ago. He was jealous because the Major could talk to Miss Parker in the right tone while the psychiatrist, who was supposed to know her since she was a little girl, couldn’t. With a quick but glorious smile, the Major nodded and took his seat. He was finally satisfied. Though not intentional, he had achieved a sort of revenge. He had made Sydney feel the same as he himself did. There was just one thing unclear him, why was the man jealous of his newfound relationship with Miss Parker? Deciding it was a question to find out later, he leant back and remained quiet, enjoying his own satisfaction.

“Right.” Parker said. “Now that we are all settled and ready to play monopoly, I’ll retreat to my beloved room. If anyone wants to talk, take a number.” She turned to leave, but Sydney knew this was the time when he had to act

“If you leave, Miss Parker, you will never get what you are searching for.”

She stopped and turned back to him. “And I guess I would get that here because…?”

“Because I can give you your answers.” Parker raised an eyebrow and Sydney added. “And the truth.” Jarod didn’t say anything, but Sydney had his full attention too. Miss Parker stared at Sydney and to his satisfaction, considered his offer.

“The truth.” She repeated. “And for that, I guess all I have to do is stay.” She said, not breaking their eye contact.

“Indeed.” The old man replied.

Miss Parker closed the distance between them and leant close. “And what truth is that, Sydney?”

When the old man took his time to reply, Broots and Jarod both looked at him intently. As the silence grew, both the tech and the pretender thought he was finally going to come out with it to her. It’s about time, Broots thought.

Sydney’s brows furrowed as well and looking deep in her eyes, he spoke. “The truth about the Centre.”

Jarod closed his eyes for a brief second. He’d really thought that his mentor was going to let her know this time.

“The Centre.” She repeated and stepped away. After a few moments of consideration, she spoke. ”Alright. I will decide tonight.” She said sternly and with that, Miss Parker left.

When no one seemed to move for a few minutes, Broots, as usual when he felt uncomfortable, broke the silence. “Well, it’s something. Maybe we should indeed play Monopoly.” He said laughing, but he found himself in the situation that he so often ended up in - he was the only one laughing at his joke. Jarod took a breath and when the others seemed to finally move, he patted the tech on the shoulder. Broots saw the others pass him by. “I’m good at it. Really, I can teach you.” He said, trying to lighten the mood. Finally, taking a breath, he knew it was time to leave.

Sydney and Broots had left and the Major was on his way out, Jarod waited until Ethan reached him. When he was there, he stopped him. “Something funny?” He asked, confused.

Ethan chuckled, a small smile appearing on his face as he patted Jarod on the back. “Have faith in her, brother, always have faith in her.” With that mystic message, Ethan left him alone.

Unknown Place
Upstairs
10:30 pm

Parker stepped into her room and leant against the closed door. The truth was tempting. It was something she’d never been offered. Pushing herself away from the door, she headed to the bathroom. She’d barely reached the entrance when she swayed.

“Damn it.” She cursed, clutching at the doorframe. The world started spinning and she leant against the wall, slowly slipping down to sit on the floor. She saw black spots for a few seconds then her head started pounding again. She hated to admit it, but she did need their help, but all of a sudden, as quick as it had come, it disappeared. The dizziness stopped, the black spots disappeared and it didn’t take much effort for her to stand up.

Unknown Place
Upstairs
10:34 pm

Reaching the door to Jarod’s room, Sydney watched as the younger man leant against the wall with a painful expression on his face. “Jarod, are you alright?” He asked, stepping closer in case he needed help.

“Yes, of course I am. I just need to take it easy. I’m getting better, but my wounds bother me sometimes.”

“Go and have a rest. That is what will help you the most right now.”

“Yes, I know. Thank you, Sydney. Where are you going?”

“To Miss Parker.”

“Do you think that’s a good idea? Maybe she indeed needs some time alone.”

“I’m just going to ask her if she needs anything. Then I will give her the time that she wants.”

Jarod nodded and opened the door to his room. He was half in when he stopped and called after Sydney. “Sydney.” The old man turned around. “What if she doesn’t change her mind?”

Sydney could read his thoughts this time; they were visible on his face. As much as he wanted to avoid it and still hoped that there was another way, they had no other choice. “We will see,” was his reply.

The Centre

Same Time
Raines’ Office

“What now?” Lyle asked.

Raines took a ragged breath before he spoke. “We need to find them. ASAP.”

“Well, the first attempt only took 4 years. Go ahead!” Lyle bit back.

“You’ve taken up your sister’s sarcasm.” Raines said. “It won’t get you further, I can guarantee that.”

“Your ideas won’t either!”

Raines ignored him. “The Triumvirate does not know about the process yet.” He stated.

“No, thank God. I haven’t informed them.”

“They do know that Jarod hasn’t gone through the re-education yet. It has already caused disapproval on their part. If you want to keep your position, you’ll remain as silent as a grave.”

“That’s obvious.” Lyle bit back.

“I mean it, Lyle!” Raines said. He was completely aware of the fact that Mr. Lyle was the perfect example of a man who’d do anything and sacrificed everything for his survival.

With a last glare at Raines, Lyle left. Stepping out of the office, he took out his cell-phone and dialed a number. Things were getting worse; it was time to get help from his supporters.

Unknown Place
Upstairs –Miss Parker’s room
10:40 pm

Miss Parker heard a soft knock on the door. Taking a deep breath, she kept looking out at the darkness through the window. “Come in.” The door opened and she heard footsteps behind her. Her visitor stopped a few steps away from her and when he finally spoke, she knew who it was. She’d thought so anyway.

“Can I get you anything for the night, Miss Parker?”

“Like what?” She asked, not turning around.

“Hmm, maybe something to drink or eat. You haven’t taken very much food in the last couple of days. Do you need anything?”

“A life.” She said.

Sydney frowned. Her tone was different. She sounded sad. “Is everything okay, Miss Parker?”

She chuckled at his question. “When isn’t everything okay?” She replied with a question.

“Can I help you with something? Maybe if you want to talk about it.”

“Talk about it? Talk about what?” She asked, and kept on staring into the distance, into the darkness.

“Talk about what’s bothering you.”

“There are way too many things bothering me. You can’t solve them.” She said. Her tone was different and for a moment, Sydney thought he’d finally managed to catch her at the perfect time, when she would open up to him.

“Maybe if you talked about it, you would feel better. If you let the problems pile up, it will never leave you alone or let you think clearly. That might cause stress and if it’s left unchecked it will just get worse. We all have…”

“Oh save it!” She cut him off, turning to face him abruptly. “The always smart, always right Dr. Freud. Aren’t you bored of it, because I am.”

She indeed was different, Sydney thought. The fire in her eyes was unmistakable.

To be continued…