Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
MANY MANY thanks to Dianne for beta-reading it for me! You are such a big help! Thanks really a lot!
And also many thanks for EVERYONE who reviewed! And also special thanks to phi4858 because this review reminded me that I forgot to update! Thank you!

Miss Parker turned her head to the other side, but he could see her eyes were still closed. She raised her leg so it was bent and gently massaged her temple with her left hand as the other one slid under her pillow. Jarod stood in silence, mainly because he didn’t dare move, but also because he figured it would be better if she noticed him on her own.

A few minutes passed, but she didn’t open her eyes or make any move to get off the bed. The situation was getting awkward for Jarod and taking a deep breath, he finally collected his strength to talk.

“Are you planning to stand there all day?” She asked suddenly. “Or have you fallen asleep, considering that you have been standing there for a while now.” She added.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to be rude. I knocked, but you didn’t answer. I thought… um, I thought you might have…”

“Passed out again? God, this house has so many people full of concern.” She said, finally sitting up. “I’m touched.” She said, sarcasm dripping from her voice.

“Yes, that must feel strange after the Centre.”

She didn’t reply, instead she got up. She hid her frown when Jarod didn’t lower his gaze; after all, she only had on a t-shirt and panties, but it didn’t seem to bother him. A thought crept into her mind that he either had a reason for it… or he was the ‘macho-type’, chasing after women whenever he could. She liked that idea - he was handsome, no, he was hot, and if she was played her cards right, she might even get a chance to take advantage of it. “So, any reason for the visit or is it a new habit to greet me when I wake every morning?”

Jarod watched as she disappeared in the bathroom. “I brought some coffee, but if you want me to do that, it might be possible.” He replied in the same playful tone. He was prepared to get a sarcastic remark, but Parker returned and stopped only inches in front of him.

“Well, it is a great start to the day to be greeted by an incredible…” she lowered her gaze, taking a good look at his body, “…strong … hot…” then finally looking straight into Jarod’s eyes, which were glued to hers, she finished, “… cup of coffee!” With that, she took the mug out of his hand and walked back to the bed. Jarod hung his head for a short while and smiled. Hell of a woman. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’d like to take a bath. See you later.” Parker said.

Jarod looked back up in time to see her pulling up the T-shirt she was wearing, but before he could see anything except her panties, she disappeared into the bathroom. He had the urge to follow her, but knew he shouldn’t. With a deep sigh, he turned around and left.

Unknown Place
Downstairs
7:16 am

Sydney sat at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee, so lost in thoughts that he didn’t even notice Broots and the Major enter the room.

“Morning, Syd.” Broots greeted him. He noticed the startled expression on his old friend’s face, but he didn’t ask, not after the last time. Broots decided it was better to wait before he again spoke about something that was none of his business.

“Good morning, Broots.” The psychiatrist finally answered. “Did you sleep well?” He asked, reminding the tech of those early mornings in the Centre when his colleague wanted to give him strength to face the day and the demands of Miss Parker or someone else.

“Yeah, I miss my little girl, but other than that it was okay.”

“I’m sure you’ll get to see her very soon.”

“Yes, we are over the worst part.” Broots replied.

“I’m not so sure.” Sydney muttered under his breath.

Jarod picked this moment to arrive and when he stepped in, he was greeted by a huge smile from his father. Sydney’s suspicions were confirmed; they had indeed talked and sorted things out. That, on some level, gave him peace, but at the same time reminded him of a few things that he HAD to face. First of all, his relationship with Jarod still needed to be sorted out and second, his issue with Parker. The situation was bad, but not as bad as it could have been, after all, both Jarod and Miss Parker were out of the Centre. The events had turned out the way they had, so now they all had to get used to it and make the best of it. He too, had to try to make the best of their current situation. At least this way, he could have a clean start with Parker. Maybe the scales were turning a little toward the positive side; he was going to have to face her confusion and stubbornness, but not her fury.

“Sydney? Sydney, are you paying attention?”

The old man suddenly jerked his head up to look at his protégé. “I’m sorry, I was thinking. Could you repeat it?”

“I just said I need some fresh air. I haven’t been out for a while now and it might help. Broots said he would also come since he’s too restless without Debbie to sit around. Care to join us?”

“Um, no thank you, I’ll finish my coffee and then have a look at Miss Parker.”

“Alright.” Jarod replied. He didn’t really want to force him to go with them anyway. They both had issues on their minds to think about, they could distract each other. Not that Broots was going to let him get lost in his thoughts, but he did like the tech and after all, the man needed some distraction himself.

Sydney went back to his thoughts so deep that he didn’t notice when Broots and Jarod left. Only a few minutes later, when he’d almost finished his coffee, did he notice that he was alone with the Major. When the psychiatrist stood up and put his empty mug into the sink, the Major cleared his throat. Sydney immediately knew their moment had come. Turning around, he folded his arms and faced the Major.

Major Charles was at first confused from the sudden attention, but he figured it was his time while they were alone. He took a breath and then started. “Sydney, we need to talk.”

“I’m listening, Major.”

Jarod’s father didn’t detect any hostility in the other man’s voice; it was just neutral. Walking to the other side of the kitchen table, he turned to him. “I had a talk with my son.” Sydney nodded. “He told me a few things. He explained a few things to me and I owe you an apology.”

“Major…”

“I owe you an apology because it wasn’t you who made him say those things. He chose you to be there for him when he needed someone.” Sydney nodded as response, letting him know he acknowledged and accepted his apology. The Major went on, “Due to incredibly evil people, due to fate… due to the Centre, my son grew up away from his family. I’ve told you my opinion about this issue, Sydney, and I owe you big time because you managed to raise my son into a good, honest person. There’s no doubt about that, but it still doesn’t change a few things. I respect my son’s wishes - he has a connection with you, a connection that was built up while he was at the Centre. He needs you, that is obvious and I will NOT do as the Centre did. I will not try to cut him off from the people he cares about. I will not insult you or attack you, I realize that I cannot blame you for the crimes of the Centre, but I can blame you for your own crimes. I still don’t know you, Sydney. I still don’t know your motives. I don’t know your life and don’t even want to. I personally do not want to have any contact with you. If you have it with my son, I don’t care. He’s a grown man with his own will and if he wants to, he will reach you, but God knows, if you betray him…”

“It’s true, Major, you don’t know me. You don’t trust me and that is understandable, but I don’t actually want you to trust me. I will not betray your son, if I wanted to, I would have turned you in when we were inside the Centre. There’s no use for me to apologize for the things I’ve done when I was younger, or now, but one thing is sure, and you can either believe it or not, I never wanted any harm to come to your son.”

Major Charles nodded, put his hands down on the table and leant forward. “We don’t have to be friends, Sydney, I doubt we ever could be, but I’m offering peace.” He said and reached out a hand.

Sydney looked down first before he took a step forward and shook his hand. “Peace.” The Major nodded and Sydney knew this was the best they could make out of THAT situation. At least this way their tension was solved, on his part anyway. He pulled his hand back. “Now it’s time to check out Miss Parker.” The psychiatrist said and turned to leave.

“Don’t let her get to you, she doesn’t bite, just barks.” The Major said.

“I know,” Sydney said shortly and left.

The Major thought he detected something in his voice, but figured it must have been his imagination. They’d just made peace with each other, maybe he still had to finally grasp it, he thought. He shook his head at his own paranoia and turned to the dishes.

Upstairs
Corridor
7:40am

Parker had no clue how they knew what size clothes to get for her, but they fit. There wasn’t many though; apart from what she was wearing when she woke up in this mysterious house, they’d gotten her black pants and a tank top along with a pullover, but that was it. There was a bit more underwear, but how they knew her size was beyond her. She had an idea about it though.

She was out of the Centre for sure and she didn’t know what to do. She had no intention of going back and she had nowhere to go, still she didn’t trust the people around her. She had to keep her eyes open and be prepared for whatever was coming. They obviously knew her, but unlike the Centre, they hadn’t demanded anything from her yet. She knew she had to figure out what they wanted. Standing in front of the mirror, she looked at her reflection; with her make up done, she was ready to face the day. They’d given her everything a lady needed and that was another sign that she had to be careful while she was planning how and where to go.

A soft knock interrupted her in her thoughts. Looking down at herself for the last time, making sure the training dress that she had from the Centre was okay, she emerged from the bathroom and said, “What?”

“Miss Parker, it’s Sydney. Are you decent? Can I come in?”

“Decent as ever, but what in the hell does he want?” She murmured, but decided to give him a chance. “Come in.”

The door opened slowly and the old man stepped in, leaving it open. “Good morning.”

“What do you want?” Was her reply to Sydney’s warm greeting.

The old man folded his arms and took a step towards her. “Now that you’ve rested, I think it’s about time we find out what is causing your black-outs.”

“I thought we’d covered that already.” She said coldly.

“You might have covered it, but I didn’t.”

Parker let out a frustrated sigh; the man was like glue. She passed him by and walked to the other side of the room, putting distance between them. “Look, Sydney, I don’t know who you are; I don’t even want to know. I don’t dig in your business, so stay away from mine.”

“I’m sorry, Miss Parker, but I can’t. Your business is pretty much my business too.”

Raising an eyebrow, she folded her arms and raised her chin. “Give me a reason.”

Sydney stared at her silently for a short while. He seemed to be thinking of a reply. This person was a stranger with his own agenda, she thought, he was not to be trusted. His expression changed and Parker knew he was going to give her the reason. He finally spoke. “As a doctor, I can’t leave people with problems un-examined. I have to use my knowledge to help people.” He said carefully.

He was lying and she knew it, she felt it. She waited a few seconds before she replied. “Helping people,” She repeated. “How many people have you helped?”

Considering her question, Sydney took a few seconds to reply also. “I don’t count.” Another short silence.

“Countless.” She said. “Well then, there’ll be one person less, but thanks for asking. If I need you, I will inform you immediately.” She said diplomatically, but Sydney didn’t take it as an answer.

“Do you get headaches before you faint or after you regain consciousness?” He asked.

Parker rolled her eyes and looked up at the ceiling. “Lord, You can’t say I haven’t tried.” Then turning her attention back to Sydney, she took a few steps forward, her brows furrowed. “You can go on like a parrot about this, but do it somewhere else. I will have none of it. So get out!”

“Miss Parker, this is about your health.”

“I’ll be healthy after you’ve gone because you are starting to make me sick.” She said, raising her voice.

“You are not in the Centre anymore, there are no surveillance cameras here.” He replied. “If anything happens to you, we will not SEE it if you are alone.”

“Well, that doesn’t seem to be happening because I just WISH I was alone.”

“Parker, you are arguing with me like a child who’s afraid of doctors and will do anything to avoid being examined!” He said and her eyes darkened.

“I had enough doctors, so turn around, walk out and go find someone who’s actually interested in what you have to say!”

“At least those people are clever enough to ACCEPT help!”

“I don’t need help, Sydney!” She said, this time half shouting.

Things weren’t going right, he thought. He could bear with her when she was sarcastic, those time he could talk some sense into her because she was thinking clearly. Now she was upset and when she was upset, no one could talk sense into her. He sighed. He was facing long days, full of fighting with her and for her. “You do need help, Parker, there is something wrong that’s making you lose consciousness, what do you call that?”

“I call that MY business!” She bit back angrily.

“Is everything okay?” Came a voice from the door. Both Parker and Sydney spotted Major Charles slowly approaching the other man.

“Yes, Major, everything is fine. I was just…”

“Sydney was just about to leave!” She said firmly.

“I wasn’t planning to, but I’d better!” He replied. He reached into his pocket once again and took out the little bottle from the day before. “You are upset and your ulcer might cause some problems because of that. Lay down a bit and try to calm down, here is your medicine in case that doesn’t help.”

“I’ve told you, I don’t have an ulcer.”

Major Charles took the bottle from Sydney and stepped up to her. “Miss Parker. You have fainted several times. You know that an ulcer can be dangerous. Please, take it for YOURSELF!” He said, holding out the bottle. She eyed it without any movement. “It’s just antacid.” After a few seconds of hesitation, she took it.

Sydney frowned, it wasn’t the first time she’d accepted something from Major Charles and not from him.

Parker sighed and swayed. Both Sydney and the Major grabbed for her and they gently lowered her, preventing her from falling.

“Miss Parker.” Sydney called her name, but got no reply.

“Let’s put her on the bed.” Jarod’s father suggested, but when they were about to lift her up, she pushed their hands away.

“No, I, ah, I’m fine.” She said, pulling her arm out of Sydney’s grasp. But he didn’t care this time and with the Major, helped her stand up in spite of her protest. Finally, she roughly pulled her elbow away from Sydney. “I told you I’m fine.”

“I can SEE that.”

Miss Parker grabbed her head as it started pounding again. Surprisingly, she let the Major help her to the bed. She laid back and closed her eyes. The Major threw a worried glance at Sydney, whose expression was still a frown. He hadn’t known the Major was so worried about is son’s huntress.

“I think it’s better if we let her sleep now.” Sydney said. Major Charles nodded and the two men left. Surprising Sydney yet again, the other man turned back in the doorway.

“If you need anything, Miss Parker, let me know.” The pain must have been tough, Sydney thought, considering the fact that she didn’t even have the strength to throw some sarcastic comment at Major Charles, instead, she just muttered a quiet ‘thank you’.

Outside the room, Jarod’s father turned to Sydney. “Did you notice? This time it took only a few moments.”

“Yes, she didn’t remain unconscious for very long.” Sydney replied with a nod of his head.

“Do you have any idea what might be causing it?” The Major asked.

“I would need to know what kind of pain she has and exactly when she gets it.” He said, however he had an idea. He had an idea he wasn’t sure of, but he didn’t want to let the Major know.

“I will try to find out from her.” Jarod’s father said.

Sydney raised his head. “She seems to… take it easy on you. How did you manage to… have an accord with her?”

“I couldn’t get to my son and someone had to take care of her.” The Major said. The man felt that Sydney didn’t like it. After a few seconds of looking straight into his eyes, he turned and left.

‘I knew it,’ Sydney thought. He knew it wasn’t a good idea to let him spend too much time with her. Parker always needed ONE person to trust, even if it was the devil himself. This time she’d chosen Major Charles even if it wasn’t obvious for the others and she was not going to trust Sydney, and this made his job to help her difficult.

Unknown Place
Downstairs
8:40 am

Upon entering the kitchen, Broots found no one there. The dishes were done, so the Major must have taken care of it. ‘The man is like a wife,’ he thought and smiled at his own joke. His time with Jarod was good. He’d always had a respect for the man and it was nice to experience his company. He’d noticed something about him though; the dark circles under his eyes were a lot more visible in natural light. It was obvious where he’d spent the last couple of days. Also, the fact that he’d gotten tired when the tech still could have taken it proved that the Pretender still needed to heal.

They’d had a pleasant conversation, which even seemed surreal for him. Jarod talked to him as if he had never helped in trying to bring him back to the Centre. It made him feel guilty about himself, sorry about Jarod and angry about the Centre.

Finding no one in the kitchen, Broots decided to go and find Ethan. He feared that the younger man was going to get bored of him, but he figured as long as he didn’t see any sign of it, they might share some time together.

When Jarod entered the house, it was silent. He wasn’t too surprised though; the people there weren’t making much noise. He was just about to enter the kitchen when he met Sydney, who’d just come down from upstairs.

“Are you alright? You look tired.” Sydney asked.

“Yes, I am. I’m just… not ready for long walks yet.” He replied. “Any developments here?”

“Miss Parker had another blackout.”

“Is she okay?” Jarod asked, already on his way upstairs.

Unknown Place
Upstairs – Miss Parker’s room
8:45 am

Jarod didn’t knock this time, he just walked in. He didn’t give a damn if people saw how worried he was. The fact was that he WAS worried and they were way pass the time when he had to hide it, The Centre wanted to destroy them either way. He stepped in, but he was greeted with a sight that he did not expect. Miss Parker was sound asleep on the bed and his father was sitting next to her on the chair.

His son’s sudden entrance surprised the Major and he lifted a startled gaze to him. When the Major realized who was it, he put a finger to his mouth, indicating for him to be quiet, not to wake her. Jarod saw from the corner of his eye that Sydney had stopped next to him. “How is she?” He asked quietly.

“She is fine.” Parker answered. “I see this room is your favorite one, guys, we can trade if you want.”

“I think we should give Miss Parker some privacy.” Sydney said.

“Wow, he grasped it. Did it hurt?” She bit back. She hadn’t opened her eyes yet and she was just lying still. Major Charles found it strange that it was Sydney who made that suggestion. An hour ago, it was him who’d kept insisting on examining her, but when he saw the agreement on his son’s face, he decided to do so. After all, Jarod could be considered a doctor.

“I will be back.” He told Miss Parker. She didn’t reply and Jarod knew this was some kind of success. She didn’t reply, but at least she didn’t have any mean or sarcastic comments.

Stopping outside the room, the Major immediately turned to Sydney. “She said the pain is continuous and it’s around her temples. The headaches always come after she regains consciousness and as we saw today, her blackouts are getting shorter.”

Jarod folded his arms, thinking. “Sounds like some drug.” The Pretender said.

Sydney nodded in agreement. “Most probably a drug wearing off.”

“Wearing off because she isn’t getting a dose periodically.”

“We just need to find out what it is and if it causes any damage.”

The Major’s face didn’t change; he simply hid the awe and tried to suppress the still present trace of jealousy; it was obvious that they’d worked together a lot. He sighed and it was gone. The Major knew he had to leave the topic behind, what mattered was the present and in the present, the routine of the two men was hopefully going to help Miss Parker.

“Maybe I should get some food for her. It might help her in getting strong, she’s barely eaten anything in the last few days.”

“That’s a good idea, Dad. If it is a drug, she will need strength so it cannot attack her system so easily.” Major Charles nodded and disappeared in a second.

Jarod noticed the distant look on Sydney’s face as he stared after him. He knew what he was thinking because he’d noticed the same. His father seemed to have found a way to Miss Parker.

“I’m not so surprised, still I never would have guessed.” He said.

“The drug?” Sydney asked.

“No. The bond between my father and Parker.”

“It’s not a bond, Jarod. Miss Parker has always needed one person in her life that she could let close, that she could trust. Even if it was the devil himself.”

“Don’t compare Mr. Parker to the devil, that’s an insult for Lucifer.” He murmured.

“The same is happening now.”

“Excuse me?” Jarod turned stunned to his mentor. “You are comparing my father to Mr. Parker?”

“No, Jarod, I’m not comparing HIM, I’m comparing the situation. She’s on her way to trusting a person who cannot give her the affection and appreciation that she’s seeking. She will close people out, she will lock the doors on her walls and the people who might be able to help her will not be allowed in.”

“Why, Sydney, are YOU going to give her that affection and appreciation?” He turned to his mentor, “Or behind all this lies the fact that your problem is that YOU’RE not the one she trusts?”

“Yes, that has a part in it too. I can give her the kind of help that can help her find her own way. She doesn’t remember, Jarod.”

Jarod shook his head. “Let me tell you something, Sydney. Trust doesn’t come on it’s own, you have to do something for it and not throw it away or… or deny it.” He said and left.

Suddenly it all became clear to him. Sydney knew exactly what Jarod meant. That was the point where the case of Jarod and Miss Parker interwove and Sydney had to face facts. In both cases, he could thank himself for his own situation. He had denied… or at least ignored those obvious bonds with two people in his life that meant so much to him. And now it was up to him to sort it out.


To be continued… soon! I’m keeping my promise this time!