Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
I don’t own these characters, they belong to NBC and MTM and I don’t make money of this...and so on!

Note: MANY MANY thanks to Dianne for beta-reading it for me! You are such a big help! Thanks really a lot!

The Centre
Same Time
Chairman’s Office

Raines and Lyle stood next to each other in total silence. They had been standing there for almost two minutes, but Imamu refused to say a word. He was just going through papers, ignoring them.

The lack of action was starting to get on Lyle’s nerves and just as he was about to lose the battle with his patience, the African raised his head. “I’ve talked to the Triumvirate.” He said in his accented voice. “According to their decision, you two stay in your positions.” He watched as the two men in front of him let out relieved sighs. “But!” He said in a louder and more forceful tone, “Only on one condition.” He said, switching his gaze from Lyle to Raines.

“Anything, sir, whatever the Triumvirate wants.” Lyle said in his best ass-licking puppy manner.

Raines controlled himself from rolling his eyes before he spoke, “What is the one condition?” He asked, knowing that the Triumvirate was not easy to please and they always needed to be satisfied with something as a way of distraction. But this time distraction wasn’t available; he had no one to offer to them as he usually did.

Raines and Lyle watched as the African leaned back in his chair and an evil smile appeared on his face. After a long silence, he finally spoke. “You get back Gemini also. The boy is another main goal. You HAVE to get both of them back; that’s the basis, but if you two still want to have some role in controlling the Centre, the price is Gemini. I think I’ve been clear.” He finished in a low growl.

”Absolutely, sir!” Raines replied in his raspy tone.

Unknown Place
8:19 am
Upstairs – Parker’s room

“Alright! Alright!” The Major said as he dropped back on the bed from the force she’d used to push him away. “I don’t want to hurt you, Miss Parker.”

“You CANNOT hurt me!” She hissed, closing her eyes and massaging her temple.

Jarod’s father let out a sigh. “Let me get you a painkiller then.” He said, even though he wasn’t sure if they had any in the house.

“Monkeys in pink skirts will fly around purple elephants before I accept a pill from you.” She growled nonchalantly.

The Major raised his eyebrows at the comparison then his eyes darkened and he lost his patience. “Fine!” He said forcefully. “I can leave you to sit here alone with your headache, which won’t allow you to fall asleep because it’s too intense. Or, you can choose the BEST way for yourself, namely accepting my help as long as I’m offering it, because in spite of you, I don’t like to watch anyone suffer.” As soon as he said the words the Major knew they wouldn’t mean much to her, after all, she didn’t have a clue who he was in the first place. But as soon as her reply came, he forgot about the slight feeling of regret.

“Generous offer, but I will…” she raised her head and looked at him with an obviously fake smile, “… regretfully decline.”

“Why am I not surprised at that? Well, I will regretfully leave you alone with your pain then.” The Major said and with that, he turned around and left.

Parker rolled her eyes and leant back as she heard the door being locked again. It was a familiar sound to her lately. Her head was pounding more and more with each minute and she had to deal with this new situation and come up with a plan to escape. She had a gut feeling that this was her chance.

Unknown Place
Same Time
Upstairs – Jarod’s room

Sitting beside Jarod’s bed, Sydney did not doubt for a second that Jarod had once again gone through a very traumatic experience. He had started to build up a wall around himself, a system that he’d used to mentally protect himself from Raines. The pretender used a new way of protection. He simply went back in time in his mind to when he was a still child and he still believed that he was going to meet his parents. A child, who, in spite of the things that the adults had told him, still stubbornly kept on thinking about his dreams; this way, he could keep his sanity. But the trace of the adult, bitter and hurt man was already there. Back then the walls had surrounded him so firmly that only he could find his own way out. The walls weren’t too thick yet, that was obvious from what he’d told Sydney.

“Sydney! If you ever want to make up for the things you did then you’ll send them away!”

He remembered who he was, he remembered his hurt; he was just under the surface. He had to get out from behind his walls. But that line made Sydney confident that he was already on his way back to them, they just had to wait. And that was what the Major couldn’t understand. Sydney wasn’t too surprised at that though, the man had waited a lifetime to be with his son and his family and he couldn’t blame him for that. Waiting such a long time for a child was something that was admirable yet natural. At least it was supposed to be natural… unfortunately, his environment was not one for living according to these rules… and maybe it had such a huge impact on him that he himself had started to live by the wrong example.

Before he could become lost in his thoughts, the stirring of the younger man grabbed his attention.

Unknown place
2:16 pm
Upstairs –Jarod’s room

Sydney looked out of the window. Jarod was sound asleep again after their long conversation. His “getting back from behind his walls” was a lot quicker than Sydney had expected; he was processing surprisingly well. He shouldn’t have been surprised though; Jarod had always done unexpected things. Now, their biggest problem seemed to be his physical condition.

When he’d awakened hours ago, his first question was how he had gotten out of the Centre. His second question was if they were all alright. His third question was Sydney’s first problem; Jarod had asked where they had put Angelo after the escape. When his mentor told him that they’d left him behind, which was the empath’s choice, Jarod had looked at him with those hurt eyes. Those eyes that he had seen so many times during the past 30 years. They were both pretty sure; no, they both had known that Angelo would pay with his life for that. After a few minutes of heavy silence, came his last question, which was Sydney’s second uneasy topic.

”Where’s Parker? Is she okay?”

Yes, she was, she just had absolutely no idea where and who she was. Sydney knew that Jarod remembered everything, he remembered their revelation before hell broke out, but the younger man didn’t say a word about it, he just wanted to know that she was alive and kicking. And kicking she was, Sydney thought, but he decided not to tell him any details yet.

“Yes, she’s in the other room resting.” He had said, seeing the relieved expression on Jarod’s face. Before he could ask anything else about the subject, Sydney had again inquired about what Raines had done to him. Jarod hadn’t replied that time either and even though Sydney had the firm opinion that it was best for him to talk about it, he had a feeling his protégé might be able to come to terms with it, if it, like so many other things, remained a dark secret in his own mind. He made a vow to once again try to get him to talk about it, but if he refused to do so again, Sydney would leave the subject.

Not long after that, Jarod went to sleep again. It was obvious that he’d barely had any time to sleep in the last couple of days. He was not in a life-threatening condition anymore, so resting and sleeping were two things that would help him.

Unknown Place
3:01 pm
Upstairs –Parker’s room

The Major locked the door behind himself as he stepped into the room with a cup of tea in hand. Miss Parker was in the same position he’d left her in hours ago. The time alone might have helped her, the old man thought. It had taken him some time, but he had found some painkillers in the kitchen. The house belonged to an old friend of his, a friend whom he hadn’t seen for almost a decade because of security reasons. When he’d called him and told him that he needed help, the man didn’t hesitate forget about their friendship.

“I brought some tea and a pill for you.” He said, placing the mug on the small table next to the bed before sitting down in the chair. Parker looked at him and raised an eyebrow. “Any problems?” Jarod’s father asked.

“Yes. You!” She replied in a cold, even tone.

The Major shot her a smile and leant back in his seat. “I have nothing to do so I’ll keep you company.”

“Generous offer, but I like my own company.”

Major Charles let out a chuckle. “No need to be hostile, Miss Parker, you are attacking the wrong person.”

“You have no idea what it is like when I’m hostile!” She replied before she got off the bed.

“Good. I don’t need to know.” He replied with a smug grin on his face.

Parker could have sworn that she had seen that expression before, she just didn’t remember where. “So, who’s that guy you hate so much?” She asked, stopping in front of the window then turning back to the Major and leaning back.

“Excuse me?”

“Sydney.” She said nonchalantly. No sign of a headache was visible now, as she looked straight into his eyes, expecting an answer.

“Oh! He’s… a psychiatrist. He raised my son.”

“Your son… I see.” She replied as if it was the most natural thing on earth.

“It’s complicated.”

“I’ll bet.” She said, rolling her eyes. “Why don’t you tell me about it? We have time like the sand, do we not?”

The Major raised a suspicious eyebrow. “Why the sudden change, Miss Parker?”

“Change?”

“You didn’t seem very interested before.”

“I’m not very interested now either. I was hoping you’d prefer silence.”

“Some people are forced to live their entire lives in silence.” Jarod’s father replied.

“Well, you sure don’t.” She said, rolling her eyes.

“Jarod has talked about you and your sarcasm.”

“Hmm, I guess so. Whoever Jarod is,” She said with a sigh.

“Jarod is my son.”

“Hmm, the one that Sydney raised, right?”

“Yes. It’s a long story. It’s all the Centre’s fault.”

“What isn’t?” She murmured. “So, you two are fighting over your son?” Parker asked in a tone that was more a statement. She watched as the Major’s mind reeled before he spoke.

“My son’s entire life was a struggle. Getting him out of the Centre was not an easy task, people died in the process.”

That grabbed her attention, but she refused to let it show. “Like?” She asked, in a seemingly nonchalant tone.

“Like your mother!”

“My mother? You knew my mother?” She asked and the Major watched as a frown appeared on her face.

“Yes, of course, I did. She was a…”

“She was the head of the Centre S.I.S.” came a familiar voice from the door. The Major’s eyes darkened as he caught sight of Sydney standing in the doorway. Sydney, ignoring the other man’s gaze, turned to Miss Parker. “How are you feeling?” He saw the suspicious look on her face before she raised her chin and replied coldly.

“Just peachy!”

The psychiatrist nodded and turned to Jarod’s father. “Major, I need to talk with you.”

“Don’t you have other priorities, Sydney?” He asked.

“It’s important.”

The Major let out a sigh before he stood up. “I’ll be right back.” he told Parker and headed out the door.

Turning around, the psychiatrist saw the look on Parker’s face. She knew he was hiding something; that was obvious. Her gaze was colder than usually, seemingly neutral, but still an icy glare.

Unknown Place
3:21 pm
Upstairs –Corridor

“Did something happen to my son?” The Major asked as he turned to the other man.

“No.”

“Then we don’t have anything to talk about. If you’ll excuse me, Sydney-” Jarod’s father was about to turn away when Sydney spoke.

“Miss Parker does not remember a lot of things. You shouldn’t tell her about the Centre and anything related until we find out what they did…”

“You know, Sydney, my first impression of you was that you did care about my son because you didn’t let him get lost in the Centre, but now I’m not so sure about your reasons. Now I think you are just like them, you like to control and keep people in the dark so they do what is best for YOU. Miss Parker has the right to know about her past and whatever else she wants to know.”

“Major, it’s not about her rights, it’s about her life. She has suffered enough; the nightmares caused by her past are as horrible as ours… She went through hell in her life, she was a prisoner too!”

“I do not know your motives, Sydney, but something tells me you are looking at the whole situation from YOUR point of view and not from my son’s or Miss Parker’s. I’m not someone you can manipulate, Sydney, so forget about it. And now, I would be grateful if you would go and take care of my son. After all, he wants to see YOU, not me. And since he’s counting on you, you better be there for him or else you’ll pay, I will make sure of that!”

Sydney started to become frustrated by the Major’s sudden withdrawals. He would let out a part of his thoughts and then leave him before he had a chance to reply. Not that he wanted to bite back that vehemently, but he was losing patience. He shook his head and turned around to go back to Jarod, he was worried about what the Major would tell Miss Parker. Thankfully, he did not know about Miss Parker and him being related.

Sydney realized that his idea about Miss Parker having a new life was not available for more reasons than one. First of all, she did know about Lyle, so they had probably fed her some lie. Second, she had always been curious and pushy enough to try to reveal the secrets that she found out about. Third, if she caught just a slight trail that someone knew something, she would not let go of it. He just didn’t know how deep or effective her re-education was and to think about how to go on, he needed to know that. But he didn’t have time now; he had to get back to Jarod.

Sydney turned around to go back when he suddenly bumped into Broots.

“Hey, Syd, are you coming from Miss P’s room?”

“Just a brief visit.”

“How is she? I thought I would visit…”

“I’m not sure that’s a good idea, Broots.”

“Why?”

“She might ask questions.”

“Questions?”

“Yes, Broots, questions. Questions about the Centre, about her past and we both know she has her ways when she wants something. Especially with you.”

Broots glared at him for a long moment. Ignoring his remark about him being weak, he asked, “Why is that a problem?”

“It might be. She doesn’t remember us. She probably doesn’t remember all the things she went through with us. If we can find out what they erased from her memory, she might have a chance to lead a life away from the Centre once we find a safe place for her.” Sydney told his theory to his friend, but they both knew what he was saying was impossible to make happen.

Broots stared at him for a few moments in silence, his eyes wide. “You don’t want her to remember!” He finally spluttered.

“It’s not about me, Broots. It’s time I did what I always should have done. Protect her!”

“Or protect yourself. You know, Sydney, I respect you, you have done so much for me. I would probably be dead if it weren’t for you, but I can’t watch in silence anymore. You, Sydney, of all people should know what she has gone through, what kind of hell she’s had since her childhood with her… father. You of all people should know that she deserves the chance to have something positive in her life at least once and you are the one denying her that right now. I may be weak, I may be a coward and I may only be a geek, but I am a father, Sydney, and I know that I couldn’t watch something like that happen to my little girl. It may be because I’ve had her since the very beginning, but I would not be able to abandon my own child. I know that you are the psychiatrist and that it’s not my business, but Sydney, you don’t know Nicholas… he grew up without you, he did not need you because he had a loving father. You got a second chance in life to have a child who does need your protection and your affection, but what am I saying? I’m just a weak and cowardly geek who can’t hide secrets from Miss Parker. Maybe you are right, but it’s because I do respect her and I can’t watch her suffer anymore.”

Sydney remained calm the whole time, but Broots did surprise him. He wanted to believe that he had not underestimated his younger friend, but the truth was… he had. The older man hung his head and folded arms then turned around to leave, obviously deep in thought.

Broots watched as he closed the door to Jarod’s room and he was left alone in the corridor. Maybe he’d said too much, he thought. It wasn’t his business indeed, but he was pissed off. It made him think about the fact that he himself was a bit annoyed with Sydney for taking Jarod’s side all the time… and he wondered how it must have felt for Miss Parker, who would rather die than admit it, but he was sure it bothered her.

Unknown Place
Two days later- Monday
12:50 pm

Upstairs – Parker’s room

A fake smile appeared on Parker’s face and she rolled her eyes. The Major’s laughter became harder at her expression. It had been two days since the Major had began spending most of his time with her. Parker knew her chance to get out and figure where she was and what they wanted, was to keep them close. The Major was her target; she’d decided to listen to his babble because she might pick up something from what he said.

That Broots guy had visited her once, but that one took about 2 minutes. She knew her gaze unsettled him and it made her feel satisfied. She’d known she could win control over the guy the next time he came back, but he hadn’t come back.

Sydney had visited twice. The first time, he’d asked how she was feeling and the last time, he’d tried to get information about the Centre from her. She hadn’t told him anything about either of those subjects. The Major was there both times and Parker could feel the tension between the two men. Something was lying deep yet so close to the surface that it needed only one tiny spark and the explosion would come. She decided to try her chances and see what they would do in chaos.

The Major was chatty, a lot chattier than she expected, maybe a little too much, but she listened. He tried to tell her nonsense stuff, nothing about their whereabouts, their purpose and who else was there, but from time to time he did drop information that he did not realize. She kept on listening, trying to keep her cool and seeming not so interested in the conversation. Something was bugging the man and that was leading him to talk to her, she even had the feeling he wanted to cheer her up. She didn’t need it, but she kept listening because that was her best weapon - picking up small pieces that would make a whole picture later.

She found out that Jarod was injured and that he was somewhere near. Sydney was with him and that made the Major very upset. Ethan, the other guy who was there in the living room a few days ago, was his other son. He’d vanished from her sight though, at least, he never came to visit. Parker was getting bored from being kept in the same room for days now. She had the feeling that the people around her did not know what to do next. The room had its own bathroom, thank God, and that helped her keep her sanity. There was another little thing that grabbed her attention and she knew that was her key to getting out.

The Major had a gun. He disappeared from time to time for half an hour or so and sometimes, he returned only with the holster on his waist. He tried to cover it and she knew that he did not know that she’d spotted it. He once returned with the gun itself, whether he’d forgotten to take it out or it was intentional, she didn’t know. But she was prepared.

She was waiting for her chance to grab the weapon and turn things around. What she found surprising was the fact that she found the man quite ‘okay’. Unlikely the other people around, he did seem to pay attention to her, but not in the way that she was used to. He quite often asked her about things instead of telling her things, like Sydney did. He asked her condition then advised her she should do this and that, which she refused to do. She felt that these people were different and Parker realized that they had nothing to do with the Centre, they were not working for Lyle; they were working for their own agenda. What it was, though, was still a secret to her; a secret that she intended to find out.

“Miss Parker? Are you paying attention?” The Major asked.

“To your newest joke, sure. I’m dying to hear it.” Jarod’s father chuckled. Suddenly a thought occurred to her and she turned to the older man. “You said you knew my mother.” She watched as the smile disappeared from his face.

“Yes, we met.”

Parker just eyed him suspiciously.

Unknown Place
Same Time

Upstairs – Jarod’s room

“I’m fine, Sydney, I can stand alone.” Jarod said as he pushed the older man’s hands away. He was getting better by the hour. Sydney was right; Jarod didn’t want to talk about what had happened at the Centre. He didn’t mention anything related to it at all. When he tried to push and ask about the subject, he simply told him; “I have places, Sydney, that you will never be able to reach, places that no one can. This one belongs there!”

Sydney nodded and let go of the topic, but that sentence wouldn’t leave his mind. They did not talk about their relationship and they did not talk about unresolved feelings, hurts or emotions. They both knew what they felt; it was obvious. Sydney knew Jarod and knew when he appreciated his help. The old man knew what he’d done when he was younger was something he could never make up for. He just wished that when the time came for him to be ‘judged’, Jarod saw the things that he’d done to protect and help him since his escape from the Centre.

The psychiatrist’s point of view had changed a lot in the last few years since Jarod had escaped, and since his time with Jarod had changed to time with Miss Parker. With every revelation that Miss Parker made or made him and Broots make, he realized that the Centre was not the place for Jarod after all. When his protégé had escaped, Sydney had believed that he would not be able to live in the outside world; it wasn’t for him, it could hurt or destroyed him. Then things changed. It was the Centre that started to destroy Jarod with every dirty secret that they’d kept from him.

Though not in his close environment, Sydney saw Jarod build himself into a grown and tortured but genius man. His pretender skills were not enough to be able to live “out there”… it was his personality, his innocence, his curiosity and need to learn that made him capable of a life outside the Centre, outside their control. He was worried though. The secrets that he’d started to uncover affected not only himself but also his mentor and Miss Parker. Sydney realized that if it weren’t for Jarod, he probably never would have found out for sure that he and Miss Parker were related.

A day after their argument with the Major and Jarod’s ‘rejection’, his protégé had asked about his father. Sydney had seen the guilt in his eyes, guilt and regret that he felt for hurting his father. That was the moment when he’d realized that Jarod had found a part of his family. The family that he had been seeking for and dreaming of for more than 30 years now…. since he was brought into the Centre.

In the last two days, Jarod had barely let Sydney help him. Sitting at the window, watching as Jarod stretched, he finally realized that Jarod did not need him the way he did years ago, many years ago when Sydney had rejected him. He had this father now; he had his family. He still had to find his mother, but the rest of his newfound family seemed to make him happy –considering the circumstances. It suddenly hit Sydney that Jarod did not need him as a father figure. He knew Jarod had feelings for him; he could not let go of him, which was obvious from the fact that he kept in touch, but the psychiatrist finally realized that he had to offer his help only when Jarod wanted it. His protégé would find him if he needed any support or help.

Was he jealous of the Major for having him as his son? Yes, he was and he had to face the fact that he was. But thinking rationally, he had to admit that he could have someone to be proud of if he wasn’t so stubborn, wasn’t so distant to the very people who needed him. He’d rejected Jarod decades ago, now his protégé had finally found his real father, who gave him the kind of love that he’d been seeking for years. And he’d done it again, Sydney had thought about himself, and this time he’d done it with someone who might not be as forgiving as Jarod. In fact, Sydney was sure Jarod still hadn’t forgave him for a few things, for things that he did not say, even though his protégé had a big heart. If Jarod could not entirely forgive him, then how could he expect Miss Parker to do so… not that it mattered anyway, he wasn’t sure he could stand in front of her and tell her ‘I’m your father’. That train was gone, the old Miss Parker was gone… and he had to face it, he was just too coward to tell it to the new person she was now. It would take too much to explain things and make her understand why he had he done what he had done through the years. The old Miss Parker, on the contrary, would throw everything at him, but he knew he could have talked to her. But it was not possible anymore, he, and the Centre, had blown his second chance.

“Miss Parker.” Sydney heard Jarod’s voice.

“Excuse me?” He asked.

“I said I want to see Parker.”

“Now?”

“Yes.” Jarod shrugged.

“Don’t you think you should talk to your father first?”

Jarod frowned. Sydney was keeping something from him, but he was right. He needed to talk to his father first. “Yes, I should.”

Sydney stood up and patted him on the shoulder. “I’ll send him in.” Jarod let out a sigh and looked him in the eyes. Suddenly he reminded Sydney of the lost young boy who’d so often had that look when something was bothering him. He smiled at him before he spoke. “Don’t worry. I’m sure he’ll be happy to talk to you.” The Pretender nodded and watched as Sydney opened the door.

“Sydney.” The old man turned around to look at him. “Thank You.” Without a reply, the psychiatrist hung his head and walked out.

Unknown Place
Monday
1:05 pm

Upstairs – Parker’s room

“You met?” She repeated with her left eyebrow raised. “I see.” She added and seemed to drop the subject. She leant back on the bed and spoke again, “If I were you, I would kick his ass!”

“Excuse me?” The Major asked surprised.

“Sydney.” She replied without looking at him, pretending to be occupied with a magazine. A style magazine, which was probably from the previous century, she thought. She felt the confusion of the man and before he could reply, she added, “You are furious because he’s more of a father figure to your son than you are. You want your son back, but you are doing nothing for it and it stresses you out, doesn’t it?” She said, finally turning her gaze to him.

The Major stood up from his seat, obviously upset. Parker knew that she’d hit a nerve and was extremely proud of herself. The Major was upset because first, he knew she was right and second, it annoyed him that he was so visible. She had figured it so easily even though he’d tried not to tell too much about the topic.

“Sydney, is NOT a father-figure for my son, he doesn’t need one, he has a father. Sydney is just another person working for the Centre, successfully keeping us apart.” He finally said. Just as he finished the sentence, the door opened and Sydney stepped in.

The psychiatrist saw the frown on the Major’s face as he entered, but he decided to ignore it. He finally had some good news for him, some news that might ease the tension between them. “Major, your son would like to talk to you. You can finally see him if you want.” He said in a calm tone, convinced that it was going to relieve the Major, but instead of relief, he saw the other man’s eyes darkened.

“Really? You are allowing me to see him?” He asked and took a step towards him. Parker watched their interaction from her seat in silence.

“Major Charles, I thought we were over this. Jarod just told me he…” but he couldn’t finish his sentence as Jarod’s father roughly grabbed him and pushed him against the wall. “Major!” Sydney tried to push him away, but the other man had the advantage of being in better physical condition.

“You are enjoying this, aren’t you? So generous of you to allow me to see my son.” He hissed. That was when Sydney lost his patience. He tried to control himself and tried to KEEP in control, but he just couldn’t go on like this. Just when he was about to hit back they both heard a sound; a sound that they had both heard quite a few times in their lives. The cocking of a gun grabbed their attentions and when they were given an order, they both obeyed.

“Don’t move!” Parker said in a cold tone.

The Major slowly turned his head just enough to see her. She was aiming his gun at them. He then realized his mistake.

“Parker!” Came a deep voice from the door.

Miss Parker simply turned towards him and aimed the gun at his chest. Her grip tight and arm steady, she was ready to shoot if it was needed. “Hello, Jarod.” She said in a tone that reminded him of the old times. The old times when her only aim in life was to catch him and take him back to that hellhole.

To Be Continued…

Liked it? Hated it?