Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I don’t own these charaters, they belong to NBC, TNT and MTM and I dont make money of this...and so on! Meaning: no point if you sue me cuz I don't have money!
Under The Surface

Part2




Dover
Dover airport
19.30 pm




„Thank you Jarod! It was a very interesting flight with you!” The elderly lady said as she grabbed his arm and pulled him down to her to give him a kiss on the cheek. Jarod smiled at him gratefully and patted her hand at the crook of his elbow.

„Oh the pleasure was mine!”

„Oh good Lord, and I thought such gentlmen like you don’t live anymore! Young men nowdays all forget to give the perfect respect to the ladies!”

„Well, I definately don’t forget!” He replied as he picked up his suitcase.

„I wish you all the luck that you need in your life, Jarod! You’re a good man and I’ll never forget you!” The woman said with a smile on her face.

„Thank you!”




Broots’ residence
19.40 pm




The only thing that Miss.Parker felt was softness under her. Then voices flooded into her mind but she didn’t understand what they were saying. It took her several moments to finally open her eyes and when she did, everything was a blur. She started to blink, trying to make the vision clear. And then the pain returned. Furrowing her brows she lifted her hand to touch her head but she felt someone grab her wrist. Slowly her view got clear and the first thing she saw was Sydney’s stern expression. Glancing down at her wrist, she noticed him holding it.

„Finally! Let me help you!” He said as he reached behind her neck with his other hand, massaging her muscles. Parker let out a hiss as she closed her eyes.

„Wha...”

„The stranger knocked you out, I guess!” He cut her off, knowing exactly what she was going to ask. „We found you unconscious on the floor.” He placed her hand down on her abdomen and she felt him storking it with one thumb.

„Here it is!” Hearing Debbie’s voice, she opened her eyes again.

„Are you two alright?” She asked before she let out a hiss from the pain that Sydney’s movement was causing.

„Yes we are! Thank you Debbie!” The old man said as he took the mug from her shaking hand. „Drink this!” He said as she helped Parker shift enough to be able to take a sip.

„What’s that?” She asked, pushing his hand with the mug away.

„Herbal tea! Just a bit cold!” Debbie said silently.

„Ugh, don’t you have vodka?” Miss.Parker asked, laying back.

„Vodka?” Debbie asked confused, glaring at Sydney. Rolling his eyes, he replied.

„Never mind!” Opening her eyes again, he saw Sydney turning his attention back to her and her neck. She knew what he was thinking and tried to avoid the speech.

„I know what you’re thinking Sydney and yes, you were right!”

„What do you mean?” Sydney asked, never leaving his attention from massaging her neck. Parker knew that Sydney was just playing the dumb and she rolled her eyes. „Ah c’mon, Freud! Yes I am grateful that you’re here! I’m s... Let’s forget about it!” She said, quickly finishing the sentence with something else instead of what she first wanted to say.

„Is it better?” He asked, stilling his movements.

„Ah yeah... thanks!” She said, slowly pushing his hand away. Sydney knew it was time to withdraw, the moment when she let him help was already gone. Her strenght was slowly returning and any sign of weaknesses or gentle moments had to disappear because she couldn’t seem to be vulnerable.

„Where’s my gun?” She asked as she raised herself into a sitting position. Sydney turned to Debbie, gently stroking her right arm.

„Debbie! Would you bring me cup of tea as well?” Debbie nodded and left but Parker noticed that she was still shaking.

„Your gun is on the table!” Sydney nodded toward the coffe-table as he was still sitting next to the woman.

„Have you asked her about what happened?” Miss.Parker asked, staring at the distance where the girl has disappeared minutes ago.

„No! We were too busy to get you back to reality!”

„Sydney, they were sweepers!” She said, suddenly changing subject.

„They? Are you sure?”

„Absolutely! I had my gun aimed at one of them when the other one knocked me out! He could have killed me if he wanted, instead he knew exactly where he had to punch. I had a feeling they didn’t want me to see their faces and the fact that they didn’t attack you two, proves it!”

„Yes. That makes sense! That means something’s going on again in the Centre!”

„Sydney! There’s always something going on in the Centre!” She said as she tried to stand up but the old man was in her way. She looked at him meaningfully but Sydney intentionally didn’t stand up.

„You should see a doctor!”

„Sydney! For God’s sake I used be a sweeper! Just several hours and all the pain will go away! And by the way I’ve beared with much worse pain in my life!” She added silently.

Letting out a sigh, Sydney stood up, giving her space to follow suit. In the same minute, Debbie appeared in the room with the tea in her hands. She walked up to Sydney and handed it to him. Parker, rubbing her neck placed a gentle hand on her shoulder.

„Debbie! Come and sit down please!” The girl nodded and let the woman walk her to the couch. „Calm down, okey?” Debbie couldn’t say a thing, she just nodded once again.

Looking around, Parker noticed for the first time that the whole room and probably the whole house was a mess. Broken glasses, books dropped to the floor even Broots’ computer was broken. „Debbie, what happened? Did anyone hurt you?” She asked, desperately trying to find any kind of wounds on her.

„No... when I came home from school everything... was like that!” she said looking around but she had troubles controlling her tears. „And I can’t find Dad. Then I heared someone in the house and I decided to hide. I –I heared voices but I didn’t know them!”

„Two men?” Parker asked as she sat down next to her, while Sydney took a seat on Debbie’s other side.

„Yeah. I didn’t see their faces and they didn’t see me! I had been hiding in the wardrobe. I thought they were gone and I came out and... and then you came! I’m so scared Miss.Parker!”

„Hey it’s okey!” Parker said and pulled her into a hug.

„I think we should leave!” Sydney said, looking into Parker’s eyes.

„Debbie! Go upstairs and gather your belongings, okey? Do you remember when you were at me when your Daddy was... busy?” She said, referring to the Damon incident.

„Yeah!”

„We do the same, okey?”

„Okey!”

„Now, go upstairs!” Parker stood up but noticed Debbie’s hesitation.

„You’re afraid?” She asked gently.

„Yes!”

„I go with you, okey?” Sydney said, standing up. Debbie nodded and they both walked out.

Picking up her gun from the table she put it back to her lower back into her waistband. Glancing around she slowly made circles in the room. Trying to take in every detail, she tried to find anything that could give any kind of explanation what happened there... and why. Never in her dreams would have she thought what happened next. All of a sudden she heared her mother’s voice saying <under the surface> as blurry images flooded into her mind. Two pair of hands in gloves pushed things to the floor, breaking everything that they didn’t need. From their movements she was sure that they were looking for something. Surprising herself she wished Jarod was there because he could help in this situation, after all *he* was the pretender. Quickly dismissing that thought, she turned around and walked out of the room.




Miss.Parker’s house
20.45 pm





„She’s exhausted! I’m going to ask if she needs something!”

„Okey!” Sydney nodded.

„Oh and Sydney!” She said, turning back in the doorway. „If the phone rings... pick it up! I have a feeling our Genius is going to give us a call!” And with that, she disappeared.

Just as she stepped out of the living room, the phone rang indeed. With a small smile on his lips, Sydney stood up and picked it up.

„Hello?”

„Sydney?” Jarod asked confused.

„Jarod!”

„What happened? Is Parker alright?” Sydney could have bet that he heared a slight trail of concern in his voice tho he did everything to control it.

„You assume that something happened because I’m here?” Sydney said amused before he added seriously. „Yeah she seems to be!”

„Seems to be?”

„I think we need to talk! Something’s happening again!” Sydney said before he let out a sigh.






Miss.Parker’s house
20.50 pm




Returning to the living room, Parker noticed Sydney holding the phone. A glance in her direction told her that he was talking to Jarod. Walking to the table, she pushed a button, turning on the loudspeaker.

„So, give me a conclusion Boywonder!” She said, knowing exactly that Sydney had already told him everything.

„First, I think you should see a doctor!” Jarod replied. Parker threw a disapproving look at Sydney for telling him her little ’accident’.

„About *the whole mess*!” She bit back.

„I think, first of all, we have to find Broots!”

„*We*?” Parker asked, raising an eyebrow.

„Miss.Parker! We need his help to find...” Sydney started but she cut him off.

„No we don...”

„Well, you know what Parker?! You can’t stop me from helping, so bear with it! I’m going to find out whatever I can and then call you!” And with that, he disconnected the line. Rolling her eyes, Parker walked to the couch.

„You know that we need him!” She didn’t reply, just sat down next to him.

„What next?” Sydney asked as he turned to her.

„I think he’s alive!”

„How do you know?”

„I have a feeling, he’s alive! And the voices... give me that feeling! And if he was dead, we would already know about it!

„Otherwise they wouldn’t have broken into his house!” Parker nodded.

„We have to get Debbie out of here! We have to get her somewhere safe!”

„Yeah but do *you* know any place where she would be safe? The Centre knows everything about me...” he added. „... not to mention you!”

„This is the point where you’re wrong Syd! I do have a place that I could keep secret! Just like my mother!” Furrowing his brows, Sydney stared at her surprised. „We’re gonna bring Debbie there. Tomorrow!” Standing up, she turned to him.

„Are you going to stay for the night? You can have the other guest room!” She offered, surprising him with her gentle tone.

„As much as I would want to stay to keep an eye on *both* of you, it would just make the Centre suspicious.”

„They already made a mistake Sydney! The sweepers are going to report that we were there!”

„Yes, that’s true. But I’d better go! Are you sure, you’re fine?”

„Sure!” She replied frustrated, however it felt good that he was concerned for her. „Here!” She said, reaching out her hand with keys. „Take my car! And meet me here at 7 am, tomorrow!”




The Centre
Next day -Wednesday
Chairman’s office
8.04 am




„I can’t belive... that you lost him!” Raines breathed in his raspy voice, talking to the phone.” [__] What... bigger problem?!” Raines asked angrily as he rose from his seat. „ [__] What?!... what the hell... was she doing there?! [__] They had to knock her out? Dammit!” Raines shouted, slamming at the table. „ [__] Oh she’s perfectly... aware of it that they... were sweepers. And she’s... up to something! [__] I know it! She’s too... silent! She has been... protecting Broots very... vehemently. Just... think of the Damon incident! Otherwise she would be... here, ripping my head off! [__] Oh she and Sydney... left one hour ago. They... found something from Jarod! They... are on their way to Boston. So that means, you have... several hours to take care of the Broots problem! [__] I... want him dead!” And with that he he hung up.



Ben’s inn

Maine

8.54 am



Sliding out of the car, Sydney couldn’t stop admire the beautiful environment. The late september morning was amazing, not too hot but isn’t cold either, the only sounds that he could hear were the birds on the trees that surrounded the Inn and the glade not so far away. Breathing in the fresh air he didn’t remember the last time he felt that kind of peace even for a short moment like that.

Parker opened the trunk to take out Debbie’s suitcase while the girl stepped out of the car as well. Closing the trunk, Miss.Parker saw the look on Debbie’s face and she was relieved that she liked the place –at least so far. Sydney walked back to her, taking the heavy bag away.

„You go ahead, I close the car!” Parker said as she walked to the driver seat and sat back into the car. Sydney saw that she was looking for something and decided to do what she asked.

Gently pushing Debbie forward, they both started to walk toward the stairs that lead to the front door. Sydney still had no idea whose house it was and all that he could get out of Parker was that it belongs to a friend of her mother’s... and hers but nothing else. This place must be important for her, he could make sure of that as he saw all the preparations that she did before they came here. First of all the Centre jet took them to Boston. There they rented a car to go Maine but they changed it when they get to the state so the Centre thought they were looking for Jarod –in Boston.

Just as they reached the top of the stairs, the door opened up and a man in Sydney’s age appeared. He looked friendly and he immediately reached out a hand to help.

„Can I help?” Sydney placed the suitcase down to the floor.

„Thanks but I can handle it!”

„Oh, she’s your granddaughter?”

„Oh no! She’s the daughter of a friend of mine!”

„Your face is so familiar! You remind me of someone!” Frowning, Sydney shrugged.

„I’m not sure we have met before but I think there’s someone who can explain!” The physicharist said.

All of a sudden Ben caught sight of Miss.Parker heading toward the stairs. Sydney watched as his face lit up as he hurried toward her. Walking down the stairs he threw his hands around her, pulling her into a big hug. It surprised him that she didn’t protest, instead let him embrace her, even gently returning it. Sydney felt a slight trail of jealousy hit him. Not anger but it was new for him to see Parker to have such an intimidate connection as it seemed to be in that moment. He was used to Mr.Parker do such kind of things but knowing that his feelings were never true and unconditional made him feel a stable figure in her life.

„Ah Miss.Parker it’s been so long!”

„Yeah, Ben I’m sorry I just...”

„I know you couldn’t come!” Ben said, nodding. Suddenly he realized that he was still holding her tho she had already released him and remembered that she wasn’t so easy going with people as her mother was.

„Oh I’m sorry it’s just that... whenever I look at you I see your mother and...!”

„It’s okey!” She said, patting him on the chest as a quick uneasy smile appeared on her face when she realised that they had audience. Clearing her throat, she turned toward Sydney.

„Ben! This is Sydney!”

„Oh my... that’s why you were so familiar to me! Sydney it’s really nice to meet you!” He said, reaching out a hand. Sydney walked down to him and with a smile on his face, shook his hand. „I’ve heared a lot about you!”

„Really?” The physicharist asked, surprised.

„Yes! Catherine often talked about you! She told me... you were a good man!” Sydney saw Parker turn away for a moment, trying to control her emotions.

„Oh I’m flattered but she must have exaggerated!”

„Oh I don’t think so! Catherine wasn’t the only one who had that opinion!” Ben said, slightly turning toward Miss.Parker for a moment. Sydney threw a surprised look at her and noticed her flush for a moment.

„Sydney! This is...” She started, trying to escape the awkward situation.

„Oh I’m sorry I forgot to introduce myself! My name is Ben Miller! I’m a friend of Catherine... and Miss.Parker!” He said with a warm smile.

„I wish I could say that I’ve heared about you but... this is something that not only Catherine but... Miss.Parker also kept secret!” He said, throwing a ’we-need-to-talk’ look at the woman.

„And who might you be, young lady?” Ben asked, smiling at Debbie.

„Oh she’s Debbie! Actually she’s the reason why we’re here! Ben I need a favour!”

„Anything Miss.Parker! But I think we should go inside first!” He said as he reached out a hand to Debbie. The girl took his arm and they walked inside after Ben picked up her suitcase. Miss.Parker was just about to walk past Sydney when he spoke.

„You never told a thing about it!”

„My mother had a reason for it and I think we are both aware of why!” She said sternly and Sydney nodded.

„How did you find him?”

„It wasn’t me... who found him! It was Jarod!” She finally admitted. The old man stared at her for a minute, raising his eyebrows.

„What?” She asked, her expression growing a bit frustrated! „You’re not the only one who can have little secrets with Boywonder!” Sydney knew that she said it from anger but she was right. He couldn’t decide whether he was surprised or hurt but it just really stung him that she kept this from him. He knew that it wasn’t easy and people had to *earn* her trust but he thought that he had already achieved something but this whole thing here proved that she still hasn’t opened up for him enough. And he couldn’t blame her, after all he also kept a distance between them.

„We should go inside!” He said as he walked to the door and held it open for her. Parker really had the urge to say sorry but she knew that he and Jarod had a lot of things as well that she wasn’t aware of, so dismissing the thought, she closed her eyes for a brief second and followed him.

Sydney stepped inside the house, following Miss.Parker. She led the way and Sydney knew that she had been there because she knew where she had to go. Stepping inside the kitchen they saw Debbie eating a piece of cake with Ben sitting on her side. Parker watched the little girl smile at him but she knew that it wasn’t coming from her heart and she could understand her. She was dragged away from her home after she got frightened to death by those sweepers. Sydney immediately joined them as Parker stopped in front of the table.

„Ben we need to talk...”

„Don’t worry Miss.Parker! I know everything! Jarod has already informed me!”

„Jarod?” She asked, surprised as Sydney raised his head. „He was here?”

„He *is* here!” came the too familiar voice from behind her. Spinning around, she found herself face to face with the pretender as a stunned expression appeared on her face.



To be continued...

You know the drill! I *need* feedbacks! LOL