Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
Please note that this story was NOT corrected by a beta-reader! I am going to have one for my next fic but for this last time –please ignore my mistakes, considering I’m not native English!
Under The Surface
Chapter 16




Dover, Delaware
Thursday
16.00 pm

„Oh man! That’s impossible!” Broots said, lowering his head.

„Why don’t you lay down a bit, Broots? You’ve been working for more than 10 hours without break. You look tired.”

„You are right. I really could use some sleep.” He said and he leant back in his seat. Major Charles entered the room and placed a mug down in front of him. He had to admit that the tech needed to rest to be able to help. As much as he wanted his son out, the only hope was Broots in that moment.

The Centre
Thursday
17.05 pm
SL-27
Room 206

Glancing down at Jarod, Raines smiled evilly. He picked up a syringe and plunged it into Jarod’s arm.

„You remember the drug that makes the pain much worse than it actually is. Now. I give it to you. And I think you remember the other one which caused so much pain in the last couple of days.”

„No idea what… you are talking… about.” He said weakly.

„Oh really? You were screaming from it. Well together the two…mhm you can imagine what it will do to you.” Raines waited several seconds to let his words sink in before he spoke again. „Just tell me where the DSAs are and…”

„Never!” Jarod said, clenching his teeth. Letting out a frustrated sigh, Raines emptied the syringe into his arms.

„You wanted it.” He said.

Jarod felt as the too-familiar nausea started to return and his head pounded again. His muscles felt a bit sore and he had difficulties keeping his eyes open. But whenever he closed it, he didn’t lose consciousness. It was like suffering from insomnia but he got more tired and felt more horrible minute by minute. He knew the pain was going to be intense in several seconds and his heart started to beat faster as he saw Raines picking up a scalpel. But he tried to hold on. He couldn’t tell him where the DSAs were! Those were his only chance. He may have suffered but he remembered and he didn’t want to lose everything that he had learnt and found out in the last more than 5 years since he escaped. He closed his eyes as he felt the sharp item tear the skin on his upper arm.

Raines was only scratching his arm with the scalpel but Jarod was already screaming. The sight and sound offered him nothing but satisfaction. He could finally get his hands on the pretender and he couldn’t wait till he was under total control. After that there was nothing and no one to stop him and the Centre. There was one thing that disappointed him though, but made a mental note to try and fulfill his other wish as well. The Triumvirate’s plans ruined his unfortunately but he was determined to get his hands on his other ’interest’ too. After all it had been promised to him years ago and with Mr. Parker out of the way there wasn’t anyone who could have been against it.

Jarod’s screams got louder and it startled him in his thoughts. He decided to bring it to the next level and applied more pressure with the scalpel, this time blood appearing on Jarod’s arms.

Angelo covered his eyes with his hands as he watched them from the vents. He tried to shake those feelings out of his head. „Friend. Worried. In pain.” He murmured.

Dover, Delaware
Thursday
19.37 pm

Sitting on the sofa, Sydney was lost in his thoughts. It’s been almost one week since they have been back in the Centre. And one week was long. Mostly when Raines was in charge. He could imagine the satisfied expression on his face when he saw them back there. A shiver ran down Sydney’s spine at this thought and he knew they had to do something.

Looking up, he noticed Broots sitting back to his lap-top. Major Charles had just returned several minutes ago and Ethan was already sitting on the couch. He too was lost in his own world and it was obvious what the younger man was thinking of. With a sigh, he looked at Broots.

“Are you alright, Broots?”

“Ye-yeah, I am. But I have bad news!”

“What?”

“I can’t break the system. It’s just like Jarod’s. Impossible to get in without the passwords and codes.”

“Well, Mr. Broots thank you all your hard work that you have done but it’s finally time to get my son out.” The Major said and stood up. Sydney saw the determination on his face and he jumped up.

“Major, I know it’s NOT easy but…”

“You have no idea what does it feel to have your child in that place.” The Major growled, cutting him off. Sydney just took a deep breath and ignored his remark. He was about to say something when Ethan spoke.

”Sydney, I think he’s right.” He said silently. We haven’t been able to do anything for a week and… the time is running.”

“I know.” Was all he could say though he didn’t like the idea of running to the Centre.

”Hey, wait a minute.” Broots said suddenly. They all turned their heads to look at him, seeing as a frowned appeared on his face.

“What is it, Broots?”

“I got a… a mail.” Sydney just raised his eyebrows, waiting for him to go on. He didn’t understand why was this fact that he got a mail so important to cut them off, unless…

“It’s from Angelo!” Broots said and looked up at Sydney, gazing into his eyes.

The Centre
Thursday
21.05 pm
SL-27
Room 206



”So, is everything arranged?!” Raines asked Cox, watching Jarod’s unconscious form through the window.

“Yes, Mr. Raines! The transport will take place tomorrow. Early tomorrow.”

“Good! Imamu will be satisfied.” Cox just smiled in satisfaction. Finally things were going on their own terms. Everything else was only a matter of time.




The Centre
Thursday
Same time
SL-27
Room 206




”Are you ready?” Sydney asked the others, watching as Broots settled back down on the couch.

“I would have been ready a lot earlier.” The Major said and Sydney tried to ignore the remark. Jarod’s father was bitter and he could understand him.

“Broots. You stay here. But be ready because as soon as we are back… “ Sydney took a deep sighed before he went on. “… we will have to move very fast.”

“What if you… uhm you can’t get out both of them?” At the question both the Major and Sydney stiffened a bit.

“We better go.” Ethan said, not wanting to hear the answer. “They are going to transport my sister early in the morning! We have to get there!” The Major just nodded and left the room. Ethan let out a sigh and looked at Sydney before they both followed suit.

Sitting on the couch, Broots prayed they were going to be able to free both of them. No one deserved to be in the Centre mostly when Mr. Raines was in charge.



The Centre
Friday
4.55 am
SL-27
Room 210

Entering the room, Lyle nodded at the sweeper who had been escorting him to leave him alone. The man nodded and stepped out, closing the door behind him. Taking a deep breath, a smile appeared on Lyle’s face as he caught sight of the bed. Adjusting his tie, he slowly walked into the room, rubbing his glove-covered hand. Stopping in front of the bed he smiled down before he slowly sat down. He watched as the woman awoke with a start as she felt the bed dip under his weight. She managed to sit up half way when she spotted who was sitting next to her. She let out a small sigh before she crawled back a bit to be able to sit up straight.

“Good Morning!” He said with an annoying cheerful expression on his face! “I really don’t like to disturb you but there is one thing that I have to do! The duties, you know!” He said and with that he raised a syringe.

“Why, it’s…”

“Time for training? Not today!” He said cutting her off and with that took her arm and stung the needle into her flesh. Parker let out a short gasp and Lyle looked up at her with a strange gleam in his eyes. Parker could have bet he liked the way he ‘hurt’ her but she wasn’t sure!

After he was finished, Lyle stood up and put his hands into his pockets. “Today you won’t have to go to the gym. You’re in a good shape so instead… we are going somewhere else.” He said, the annoying smug expression never leaving his face.

Before Parker could have wondered or asked what it was, the too familiar dizziness attacked her and she had to lie back, supporting herself on her right elbow. She saw as Lyle nodded at the sweeper who just entered a second before but then blackness came over her.

Angelo, peeking in from the air vents, just watched the events with a sad expression on his face. „Daughter. Lost.” He whispered to himself.

Outside The Centre
Backyard
Same time

“I can’t believe I’m here! I swore to God that I will never return to this place! And yet, I’m here again!” Major Charles said, crouching beside Sydney and Ethan! “If only I could have prevent them taking my son again.”

Ethan knew how he felt. His father was not only angry but also blamed himself for letting it happen. Again. It felt kind of strange for him to know that both men had their own child in that place and he hoped that they won’t have to leave one of them behind!

“Everything’s going so easy.” Ethan spoke. Even though he didn’t know the Centre because he couldn’t remember being there but he thought it was a very securely guarded place. And so far, they could slip inside the backyard without any problem.

“This is ONE weakness of the Centre’s security system.” Sydney replied. “They know that no SANE man would try to come here on their own so we could easily get in. Because it’s just the three of us.”

“I see.” Ethan replied and watched as Sydney turned back to make sure no sweeper was nearby. “What if Jarod isn’t here anymore?” The young man spoke again.

“Then I go after him even if it means hell itself!” The Major said and Ethan knew that he did mean it.

“No, Jarod must be here. I don’t think they would send him to Africa as long as they don’t know where the DSAs are.” Sydney replied.

“So we have to be very fast and… smart to get them out.”

“Or quite the opposite for coming here ‘alone’.” Sydney murmured under his breath.

The Centre
Friday
5.20 am
SL-27


”The Triumvirate is waiting!” Imamu said, gazing into Lyle’s eyes as the younger man stood straight, next to Mr. Raines. “You go on with your project in Africa as long as it is needed!”

“Sure, Sir I-“

“Mr. Raines! The Triumvirate is, however, not hundred percent satisfied.” Imamu said, cutting Lyle off. Lyle just let out a sigh to calm down. Imamu was too ‘high’ for him but he knew if he could do his project, he would be high enough as well. Soon.

“I know, sir. But he can’t hold on any longer. Just take a look at him, he won’t be able to take it any longer!”

“For your sake, you better be right! But now there are still several things that I need to discuss with the two of you. But not here.”

“Of course, sir. We can go to my off-“

“We GO to the Chairman’s Office!” Imamu said and walked out. Lyle just rolled his eyes and followed Raines out of the room.

The Centre
Friday
Same Time

“Okay we are in. But that’s it.” Ethan whispered. “I’m not sure we could go on from here. There are lots of sweepers everywhere!”

“I’ve escaped worse situations before…” The Major growled looking around, making sure no sweeper was in the corridor.

“That is the Centre.” Sydney said. He had no idea how to go on from that. He knew this wouldn’t turn out well. He knew he needed Angelo for help and he didn’t have to wait long. Suddenly the air vent cracked open. And it was in time because in the minute Angelo ‘surfaced’, they could hear sweepers coming along on the long corridor.

The Centre
Mr. Raines’ office
5.30 am

Sitting in Raines’ chair, Imamu stared at Lyle and Raines. When Raines called him a week ago, telling him they had Jarod back, he and the Triumvirate were very pleased. But since one week, they couldn’t get any further. Jarod was stubborn enough to suffer instead of giving in, even if it cost horrible physical pain. The only positive thing so far was Lyle’s project. Which was proceeding at least.

“The Triumvirate has made several changes and I have to inform you about them.”

“Changes?” Raines breathed.

“The Triumvirate gives you three more days, Mr. Raines! If you don’t manage to get out of Jarod, where the DSAs are, then we will have to focus on his family. They must have them. After three days, they want you to erase… EVERY SIGN of the outside world of Jarod’s mind! For the pretender, NOTHING can exist, except for the Centre!”

The Centre
Air Vents
5.35 am

“Angelo, stop!” Sydney said, slowing down behind Angelo. The empathy looked back at the three men behind him and did as Sydney asked. He stopped.

“I think we should separate!” Sydney said as he sat down.

“Why?” The Major asked, his brows furrowed. He immediately tensed. What if Sydney was still on the Centre’s side? He wasn’t sure in anything and he didn’t trust anyone anymore.

“I think he’s right!” Ethan told his father.

“We are on our own. Three… well four against *The Centre*. We have to be invisible and fast! So we need to get both of them at one time. And we will have to do it through the air vents. That is the only place where we might have a chance!” The Major considered the idea for a moment and the nodded.

“Okay. But who takes who?” Ethan asked.

“I take Jarod!” The Major and Sydney said in union. Ethan just closed his eyes and hung his head slightly. Ethan knew what was coming. It was obvious just from the way the two were staring at each other. Ethan felt a sudden rage inside but suppressed it! He spoke before they could have gotten into a fight.

“Fine! I go for my sister.” He said. Sydney finally looked at him and Ethan looked gazed into his eyes. The younger man saw that he wanted to say something but he spoke first. “Where should we meet?”

Sydney felt a bit uncomfortable. He knew he didn’t have to explain his actions to anyone and he had his reasons for everything but he did feel uncomfortable under Ethan’s gaze and had the urge to tell him. But they were running out of time and he knew they had to act. With a sigh Sydney turned to Angelo.

“Angelo!”

The Centre
Mr. Raines’ office
5.50 am


”Is that understood, Mr. Lyle?” The African asked, raising his chin.

“Absolutely. Sir!”

“Fine! The Triumvirate is awaiting you. They have everything ready.”

“Just like me, sir, I can assure you!” Lyle said with a proud gleam in his eyes.



The Centre
Air Vents
SL-27
6.08 am

“Jarod must be there.” Sydney whispered to the Major.

“Are you sure that Angelo is right?” He asked doubtfully.

“Yes, he is.” Sydney replied and glanced at his watch. “We are in time. Broots said all he managed to do something. He could get to the cameras so from 6.10 am, he is going to shut them off. We will have two minutes time.”

“Excellent!” The Major said. “Everything’s going according to the plan! And you were so against it!” He said bitterly.

“Major! I want to get both Jarod and Miss Parker out of this place. But you know that the Centre is way too dangerous.”

“You don’t need to tell me! They have kept my family apart for thirty years!” He said, gazing into his eyes. Sydney just glanced down at his watch and knew it was time!

“Let’s go!” As carefully as possible, they opened the air-vent and crept down. Neither of them were too young anymore and it took some time for them to finally get out. While the Major jumped down, Sydney turned around to get Jarod ready for the escape.

As the Major straightened up and turned around, he saw the small shock on Sydney’s face. With a frown, he turned to the direction where he was looking and saw what stuck him.

Jarod was sitting in the corner, shaking and sweating heavily. He was pale, as white as the wall and circles covered the underside of his eyes. He was unshaved and they weren’t sure if he acknowledged their presence at all.

To be continued………..