Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I don’t own these charaters, they belong to NBC and MTM and I dont make money of this...and so on!

Please note that this story was NOT corrected by a beta-reader! I am going to have one for my next fic but for this last time –please ignore my mistakes, considering I’m not native english!




To Ann, Eden, Ice_Queen, Eman and Lisa: Thank you guys for the reviews, I’m glad you like my story. Thank you VERY MUCH for the feedback!



To Nancy: Also to you, thank you VERY MUCH for your review and I hope you will like what’s coming up because… it ain’t over yet!! *winks*


**************************************************************





Ben’s Inn

Upstairs –Broots’ room

07.30 am







„You haven’t eaten anything for two days!” Sydney said suddenly, looking at Broots.


„Uhm...well yeah!”


„I’m going to get you some food! It will make you stronger!” He said before he turned around and brushed past Parker on his way out.


With her arms folded, Parker let out a small sigh and turned her head in time to meet Jarod’s gaze. He was looking at her without blinking and she just simply couldn’t break the eye contact with him and Jarod seemed to have the very same problem. Broots raised his head and looked up at Jarod before he turned his gaze to his boss. She looked stunning just like always and when he thought of the events of last night when she came to save *him*, his stomach started to tremble. And even standing there, with a small cut at the corner of her mouth, looking at Jarod she was the most beautiful woman ever for him. Wait a minute, he thought. She wasn’t looking at Jarod, she was staring at him and he noticed that Jarod did the same, looking like a reflection of her.


„Wow... that’s weird!” He murmured.


„What?” Parker asked suddenly, slowly breaking their ’connection’, turning to the tech.


„I...I mean... you and... and him!”


„What do you mean he and me?” She snapped, dangerously raising an eyebrow and Jarod just smiled at her reaction.


„Oh...I-I mean... I haven’t seen you... together...personally!”


„You should be happy!” Parker replied sarcastically.


„Oh okey once but then an explosion followed the sight, destroying a whole level!” He finished, sounding amazed.


„Well...yeah Miss Parker is explosive!” Jarod said with a teasing smile on his face, winking at Broots. The tech decided to remain silent as he watched Parker slowly turn to Jarod before she took several steps toward him, stopping in front of him but keeping a safe distance.


„You don’t know the half of it!”


„Oh I do! Do you really think I don’t know...my *personal* huntress? A tiger is half as dangerous as you! And I’m not surprised... with those sharp claws and even sharper tongue!” He said in a tone that frustrated her and he received a slight punch at his chest, exactly at his heart. Jarod placed his palm there and added. „Awe, you always manage to find my... heart!”


Broots just carefully lifted his gaze to Parker, who was glaring at Jarod in silence. Jarod loved her blue eyes but in that moment they were piercing through his like a sword. But he stood his ground because he knew he hit a nerve and she won’t start arguing about *that*, there.


„I’m not your *personal* toy!” She bit back, changing subject and both she and Broots just stared at him confused as he began to laugh. Parker raised an eyebrow.


„What’s so funny, Monkeyboy?”


„I know that look! You had exactly the same expression when you and me...”


„I know!” She said sternly, rolling her eyes as it occurred to her that he laughed the same way one time! „I remember! And it was your fault!” She stated matter-of-factly and Broots had never been so confused as suddenly Jarod’s laughter died and he looked at her smiling face. She was teasing him and apparently did it well.


„What?!” He said, not believe his ears. „Don’t start it again!”


„Start what?” She asked in a mock innocent voice.


„For God’s sake it happened 20 years ago and you still blame *me*?” He asked with wide eyes. Both he and Broots saw as her brows furrowed, just like when she was ready to fight. And ready she was as she put her hands on her hips and raised her chin defiantly.


„Of course I do!” She stated. „It was *your* fault!”


„Er...erm... ca-can I ask... wha-what are you talking about?” Broots asked, his curiosity pushing him.


„No!” Parker replied shortly.


„It was around 1972 when Miss Parker...” Jarod said, looking at her. „...came to me when Sydney was asked to her father office! *She* wanted *me* to go on a little trip with her –just like always!” He said, his voice teasing. „And I agreed!”


„Just like always!” Parker interrupted.


„We had just stepped out to the corridor when Mr. Raines appeared and I found myself on the run from him with Miss Parker on my side. Again.”


„On your side? I was leading you! Your first intention was to run into the exact room where Raines was heading!” She added sarcastically.


„So!” Jarod said, turning back to Broots. „We ran into the Sim lab and found the perfect hiding place. But Parker couldn’t stay put even for a short while *of course* and stood up. She found a small mirror on the table. And she broke it!” Jarod said, looking at her with a serious face.


„What?!” Parker asked, almost shouting. „First of all I picked it up because I wanted to have a better look at it. The diamonds were beautiful on them! And second!” She sneered. „It broke when I dropped it... because *you* cried out several inches away from my back... exactly *into my ear*!” She finished, the last words louder.


„Yes, because I heard footsteps!”


„For God’s sake I could have bet you were going to wet your pants! You were a coward!”


„Coward??!” Jarod was turning pissed off and Parker was already angry. Broots, eyes wide, just watched as they stared at each other.


„You asked me to go with you because you didn’t want to go alone!” He bit back.


„You could have said ’no’!”


„Oh really? After you said; ’C’mon Jarod! Are you afraid, Jarod? Don’t be a coward Jarod!’ Of course I said yes because *I* didn’t want to leave you in the lurch like everybody else!”


„Always the hero!”


„Anyway!” He went on, ignoring her remark. „Several seconds later Sydney stepped in and found us there, standing at the table with the broken mirror on the floor. The problem was that the mirror was an accessory to the next Sim.”


„And?” Broots asked, waiting for him to go on, receiving a cold glare from Parker but noted with relief that she turned to Jarod as he replied.


„Sydney was angry of course and I had never seen him like that but the look on her face was just priceless.” He said with a playfully evil look on his face, looking into Parker eyes. She just raised her left eyebrow, her chin high, seeming unaffected. Turning back to Broots, Jarod knew that he was dying to know what happened after but didn’t dare to ask it because of his boss. „Sydney called two sweepers who escorted me back to the other Lab –thinking that I broke the mirror, I guess. But I have no idea what happened after that!” He said, at the last sentence turning back to Parker expectantly.


„And you never will!” And with that she turned around to leave, only to notice Sydney silently standing in the doorway with a tray in his hands. Parker walked past him without a word and left the room, leaving a confused Broots and Jarod behind.


„Here’s your meal!” Sydney said as he walked in and set it down in Broots’ lap. In that moment Debbie returned and she was immediately on her father’s side. Sydney just smiled and turned around to leave. Jarod, noticing it, followed him outside.





Ben’s Inn

Upstairs -corridor

7.45 am




„Did you hear everything?” Jarod asked as he watched Sydney fold his arms.


„What do you mean?” His mentor asked, tho he knew what he was talking about.


„Sydney!” Jarod said, letting out a sigh, making him smile.


„The end of it! But I’ve already known the beginning, that I missed!”


„What do you mean?” Jarod asked confused.


„You weren’t sent back to the other lab because I thought you were the one who broke it! I had to send you away because Mr. Parker was on his way there and he missed you only with seconds! It was quite a scene without you, I don’t even want to imagine what would have happened if he had found out that you were there as well!”


„A scene? What happened?”


„Well, you can imagine, Mr. Parker wasn’t really pleased to find his daughter in the Sim lab. Then he saw the broken mirror and he thought you broke it during the Sim!”


„Then I *was* blamed as I thought!” He said, shrugging.


„Uhm... not really!” He said as he started to walk away but Jarod stopped him.


„Wait a minute Sydney! There’s something that you’re not telling me!” He stated as he blocked his way. Sydney let out a sigh.


„Miss Parker informed her father that she was the one who caused the damage and not you!”


„Really?” Jarod asked stunned and Sydney just shrugged with a smile on his face before he walked away.


Jarod stood there confused for a long moment, he really didn’t expect this. He did felt guilty for what happened but Parker’s stubbornness made his react the way he did. The door of her room opened up again and she startled him as she stepped out. Closing the door she almost bumped into him, noticing him in the last moment. She stopped only inches away from him, staring into his eyes.


„What?” She asked irritated because only the way he was staring at her made her unsettled.


„I just... heard something!” He said with a smug expression on his face. „Something that... just made my thought stronger!”


„Nice but I don’t care!” She said as she rolled her eyes and attempted to step away. He suddenly placed his palm on the wall, his arm steady in front of her, preventing her from walking away.


„Oh but that’s what I found out, Miss Parker! That you do!”


„That I do what?” She asked, raising her chin as a small defiant smile appeared on her lips.


„That you care!” He replied, leaning dangerously close. She could feel his breath on her lips and quickly stepped away. But Jarod wasn’t going to give it up so easily and followed her, suddenly turning a half and backing her against the wall. She tried to remain untouched from him that was how she ended up in that position, she tried to reassure herself.


„What the hell do you want from me, Jarod?”


„I want you to admit it! Admit that you care!”


„I don’t!”


„You do!” He replied with a smile on his face.


„I don’t!” She hissed.


„You do!”


„I don’t!”


„You do!


„I don’t!”


„You don’t!”


„I do!” She was furious and for a second she didn’t realize what she just said. But the as the small at Jarod’s face grew wide into a grin made her words sink in. „For God’s sake of course I do care! After all I can’t deliver a damaged good back to the Centre!”


„Nah, you can’t escape Miss Parker! You made a mistake!” He whispered as he slowly leant in toward her.


He was in the lead and that annoyed her, it wasn’t supposed to be that way. She was the strong one to have the control but in that moment she felt entirely weak, aching to kiss him. Jarod closed his eyes when there were almost no distance between them anymore when they heard the door cracking. Parker pushed Jarod away with such a force that he had to take two steps back before he caught sight of Sydney. He didn’t seem to notice what happened –actually almost happened- Jarod thought but judging by their silence Sydney knew that he must have interrupted something.


„I’m sorry I hope I’m not dist...”


„No!” Parker cut him off. „We were just on our way back to Broots!” She said, slowly turning to Jarod. „It’s time to find out what the hell did he find!” She said and with that she turned around and walked back into Broots’ room. A small smile appeared on Jarod’s face, already formulating his next plan as he followed suit. Sydney caught his expression and his suspicions grew that something must have happened between them on Cathris and that was what Parker didn’t want to tell.






Ben’s Inn

Broots’ room

13.45 pm





Miss Parker couldn’t sit any longer, her back was already aching. Jumping up from her seat, she walked to the window to glance out. The weather wasn’t really good, it was darker than usually because a storm was probably coming but a heavy rain was sure at least.


„It’s been hours and you still didn’t find a damn thing! Broots was faster than you and he’s not a genius!” She said as she turned back to stare at Jarod’s back, who was sitting at the table, typing on his lap top. Sydney just threw a sharp look at her but she ignored it.


„They probably deleted it after the incident! Or just simply moved it away.” Jarod replied in the same manner.


„So it’s lost! Perfect!” She said, turning back to the window again. Jarod let out a sigh, she was right.


„No, not sure!” Broots said suddenly.


„What do you mean?” Jarod asked as Parker spun around.


„I have an own folder, a hidden one. So when my program started to access it, it actually started to copy it into my folder. When I returned I caught a glimpse of the screen and it was ready.” A small smile appeared on Parker’s face as she raised an eyebrow.


„Cancel what I said earlier! You’re the genius and not Jarod!” A wide proud grin appeared on Broots’ face while Jarod just rolled his eyes.


„You know sometimes I wish I weren’t a genius indeed!” Jarod said, looking at her. Parker just looked into his eyes, satisfied with herself that finally she was the one who pissed him off and not the opposite. Jarod picked up his lap top and placed it into Broots’ lap. „It’s your folder, I think you know where it is! It’s easier if you do it!” Broots nodded and raised his hands to type but his left arm was still weak and he let out a hiss from the pain.


„Ah it won’t work!”


„Okey! I’m going to type but you will have to guide me where to go!”


„Okey!” Broots said, nodding.






Ben’s Inn

Living Room

14.03 pm






Walking into the room, Miss Parker headed to the mini-bar. Jarod and Broots were still working on the file and she needed a drink. She simply walked out without a word tho she was sure that they knew why she left Broots’ room. As soon as she stepped inside the living-room she spotted Major Charles, Emily, Zoe and Ethan on the sofa. They seemed to be engaged in a conversation, however her brother, Ethan, was just listening to them. She noticed that he still wasn’t very talkative. He seemed to fit in the family, he appeared to be well-balanced and Parker wished she could have spent more time with him but the marks of the Centre and Raines still had a huge affect on his behavior. He was her only relative that she protected, appreciated and even loved but that was the reason why she had to keep him away. She could only hope he understood because except Jarod, she was the only one who could reach him. In fact it was *him* who reached *her*.


She turned her attention to the mini-bar and as she stopped to pour herself a drink she heard someone else enter. Knowing who it was, the next comment didn’t even surprise her.


„Why don’t you drink it together with the antacid! After all it worth the same, considering you keep drinking!” Jarod asked, crossing his arms in front of his chest.


„Why don’t you write your comment down, put a stamp on it and send it to someone who gives a damn?” She asked, raising her left eyebrow before she took a sip. Ethan shifted in his seat, knowing another argument was on it’s good way and he intended to try and make some piece between them.


„How’s Broots?” Ethan asked and it was obvious that he wanted to avoid the quarrel. His brother let out a sigh and turned to him.


„He’s feeling better! It’s just a matter of time till’ he regains his strength! He was lucky!” He said.


„That’s good!”


„They never know where to stop!” Said the Major suddenly, grabbing the others’ confused expression. „I mean the Centre. They just keep on destroying innocent lives!”


„He works for the Centre! I don’t think he’s so innocent but I agree!” Zoe replied.


„We’re all... guilty in our own ways but if you want to pick one person from the Centre who doesn’t deserve what they did to him... then it’s Broots!” Parker said matter-of-factly before she took another sip. She didn’t know what made her say that but she figured it must have been either that she often was protective about Broots or just the fact that she disliked the red-haired bimbo.


„And our mother!” Ethan added silently, receiving a quick glare from Miss Parker.


„The Centre’s victim-list is too long! And it’s hard to see when people don’t even notice themselves on that list.” Jarod said, intentionally turning to Parker. She felt the urge to explode there in that moment but knew that she had to control her emotions. She was upset enough and her ulcer was acting up in the last days but she just needed that drink so her only opinion was to avoid the stress and just... simply.ignore.him.


„Only the thought of them makes me angry! I have never felt hatred for anyone but I do in this case.” The Major went on. „But most of all... for Raines. I don’t even consider him a human being!”


„Oooh... we agree on that one!” Parker said as she chuckled, raising her glass again. Jarod’s expression changed at the mention on his name.


„The Centre ripped my family apart.”


„And Raines... turned Kyle into a... monster!” The Major said and Jarod lowered his head, trying to shake the thought out of his mind. He slowly made his way to his father, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder.


„He couldn’t fully destroy him... it was obvious at our last... conversation, just before he died!” He finished his sentence in a soft voice. „Unfortunately he turned him into one of his toys, he could break him...”


„No, he couldn’t!” Parker said suddenly and they watched her place her empty glass down on the mini-bar counter. Turning back, she noticed their confused expression and let out a sigh before she decided to tell it. „If Raines *really* could have broken him and made him his toy... „she took a breath and took a step forward. „...then Kyle wouldn’t have helped a *Parker*!” She said, meaningfully raising an eyebrow. Jarod just stared at her, with no idea what she was talking about.


„And which Parker would that be?” He asked.


„Me!” Parker stated matter-of-factly before she walked out. Jarod just stared after her and he knew that she enjoyed the fact that this time she knew something about Kyle that he didn’t. He noticed his father’s expression as he looked up at him and Jarod took a deep breath.


„I’m going to find out what she meant but... right now I have to go back and help Broots! It’s really time to find out that secret that they are trying to keep from us!” He said before he walked out.






Ben’s Inn

Upstairs –Broots’ room

14.15 pm






Entering the room, Jarod noticed Parker standing at the window, staring outside. Sydney was at Broots’ side, staring at the screen of the lap top that was in his lap, while Broots’ expression was excited. He slowly made his way to the bed to take a better look at it.


Staring outside, Parker noticed that it practically went dark. A storm was coming and she spotted several raindrops on the glass of the window. She loved rain but this time a strange feeling crept into her mind and the voices started to talk. She had no idea what they said but it was different than the last time. She couldn’t make out what they wanted but it was more intense and panic filled her. Dismissing the idea, she decided to ask Ethan later when Broots’ voice startled her.


„I found it!” He cried out. „It’s a zip file!” He said, frowning.


„Yeah! They probably have more records or whatever it is in one package!” Jarod said, turning the lap top toward him. Miss Parker walked up to them, putting her glass down on the small coffee table on her way. „Yes, these are security records!” Jarod said, looking up at Sydney as he crouched down. The pretender opened the file and guided the cursor to the play button when he stopped, looking up at his mentor.


„Can we see it?” He asked.


„What do you mean ’can we see it’?’ Parker asked impatiently. Jarod slowly turned to her with an annoyed expression on his face.


„This was in Sydney’s and Jacob’s personal data file so it probably concerns him!” Parker looked at Sydney who stood next to her, waiting for a reply. The old man just shrugged as he glanced from Parker to Jarod. „I don’t know what it may be, I don’t have secrets!”


„You sure?” Parker asked silently, receiving a sharp glare from Sydney. Jarod just nodded when he turned back to him and pushed the play button.





To be continued…



































































































































































Chapter End Notes:
So… do you hate me now that I cut it RITE NOW? *evil grin*