Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

A Pretender Story (24 of ?) A Pretender Story (24 of ?) Written By: Archangel/Evanescent

Author’s Note: Possible character death(s), of course for those who want this to end happily ever after, it might not be possible in this case…only time will tell.

The Centre

1000 Hours

“JAROD!” Lyle cried in surprise, Raines fell unconscious as Jarod landed on him.

“Nice to see you again Lyle,” Jarod snarled pulling out his gun and aimed it toward him

“Now Jarod, let me explain—“

“That you’re trying to kill you sister? Or the fact that you betrayed your father?”

“Jarod,” Lyle gave a nervous laugh, “We could do great things together—“

“Mr. Lyle, I will never destroy my own family like you did yours, why would I even consider joining you?”

“I didn’t destroy—“

“Jarod!” Jason called from the air vent, then he and the Major jumped down from the vent

“Come on son, we got to get out of here before the sweepers come after us,” the Major said urgently. Jarod nodded and after he knocked Lyle out with a blow at the end of his gun, he stepped over Raines and ran, his father, Jason, and Ms. Parker following after him.

Mr. Parker appeared, without a word he stood shocked to find everyone there, he quickly recovered when he saw Mr. Raines slowly got up and withdrew his gun, “Angel, start running, run down that hallway and don’t look back.” He demanded, walking up next to Jarod and looked at him, silently pleading him to take care of his daughter. Jarod nodded.

Everyone turned around and watched Raines pulled the safety back from his gun, “You’re not going to get in my way this time Mr. Parker. It’s time to join your wife.” He pulled the trigger

“No!” Jarod cried, everything happened in slow motion, all he knew is he that he had to save Mr. Parker, he pushed the man out of the way and cried out in pain as the bullet hit his chest. Ms. Parker screamed as Jarod crumpled to the floor and blood seeping from his chest.

The Major ran toward his son and kneeled down, “Jarod, son, please, speak to me!” Jason shot a look of pure fury at Raines, he withdrew a gun he secretly held in his own jacket and fired two shots at him, the man fell to the ground, one bullet in his head, another in his heart.

Jarod slowly opened his eyes and tried to get up, he fell back in pain, “Dad…”he whispered

Sydney ran over and bend down at Jarod’s side, “Jarod, please, don’t try to get up, you need to preserve your strength. You’re wound isn’t severe, we just need to get you to the hospital.” He lied, though his eyes gave him away.

Jarod smiled softly, “Don’t lie to me Sydney, I’m a doctor and I know I’m dying…” Ms. Parker’s eyes her eyes were filled with tears as her father stood in shock and continued to stare at him. The Major quickly took his jacket off and pressed it to Jarod’s chest in hopes to stop the bleeding. His son moaned in pain, “Dad, it’s no use…please, listen to what I’m saying, tell Mom…and Emily…about me…” His left hand gripped his chest as he fought hard to control the pain that was blurring his vision, he slowly closed his eyes.

“No! Jarod, don’t close your eyes, look at me, do you understand me?! Look at me!” Major yelled desperately

“Quickly, keep him talking, we need him awake. Willie, go get help now.” Sydney cried

“I take orders from Mr. Raines,” He said coldly

Mr. Parker looked at him, his eyes filled with hatred, “Raines is dead, you listen to me now, if you disobey, take it up with the triumvirate.”

“Yes Mr. Parker.” Willie nodded and ran down the hallway

“It’s too late…” Jarod trailed off, losing strength…

The Major shook his head, “No, Jarod, you have to believe that you’re going to live do you here me?” He said, a tear rolled down his eyes, he quickly brushed it away. Jarod smiled and closed his eyes

“Quickly! He’s losing consciousness, ask him a question.

Ms. Parker walked over and sank down onto her knees next to him, “Jarod,” she whispered, “Why did you save my father?”

Jarod opened his eyes and turn his head to look at her, “Because I had to,” He replied faintly

“Why? My father had kidnapped you from your family, trapped you here in this hell for 30 years, and ruined your life and those you loved. Why Jarod? Why do you still protect him?”

“Because I know what it’s like to lose someone you love Ms. Parker, I don’t want you to go through that…” Mr. Parker stood and continued to stare but something in his eyes flickered

“Why Jarod? Why did you do this?”

“Because…because I love you Ms. Parker.” Mr. Parker briefly closed his eyes, and the truth shall set you free he thought with sadness, remembering Catherine’s quote. Sydney and Broots looked at each other in shock

“What? Jarod, why didn’t you tell me?” Ms. Parker stared at him in amazement, Jarod loved her! She thought

Jarod laughed weakly, “If I had a chance I would’ve never told you…I knew you’ll never feel the same way and I thought…with time apart…maybe I’ll be able to forget about you but I couldn’t, and I don’t want to. I love you Ms. Parker, I always have and I’ll always will…”

“Jarod, I—“She stopped abruptly when she saw Jarod began trembling, wrapping his arms around himself to keep himself warm, “Jarod? Jarod?! Hold on please!” She cried frantically, “Please Jarod, hold on, for me, can you do that?” She looked at the Major in panic as he tried desperately to stop the bleeding but was failing as his son’s blood covered his hands. Sydney watched helplessly as Jarod continued to shiver, knowing that he’s coldness he’s feeling is due to the loss of blood. He locked eyes with the Jarod and they both knew that he’s losing the battle. Jarod tried to keep awake and kept his eyes open but he was so…so tired…

The Major took off his sweater off and wrapped it around his son, “Here you go son,” he said quickly, “Just hang on okay, just hang on.”

“Sydney,” Jarod whispered

“Yes Jarod?” Sydney replied, a tear splashed onto his cheek and made its way down his face,

“Take care…take care of Ms. Parker for me…”

“I will Jarod.”

“Damn it wonder boy! Just hang on, you’re not going anywhere!” Ms. Parker cried angrily, Jarod gazed at her, she looked so beautiful…

“Dad?” He asked, turning his head to look at his father,

“Yes son?” Major replied, fighting hard to keep the tears from falling down his cheeks

“Dad…when you find mom…please tell her…about me…” He gasped, he tightened his fist on his chest in attempt to stop the pain, “…tell her that I love her…and that I’m sorry that I…I wasn’t able to see her one last time.“ Mr. Parker stood by, silently hoping that the pretender would make it but deep down he knew Jarod was slipping away.

Broots stood behind Sydney, feeling helpless, that he was unable to help this man who helped him so much these couple of years. Jarod doesn’t deserve to die like this, he thought, he deserved a happy ending more than anyone else did in this room. Oh God, why does he have to die like this? He had done so much good, have so much compassion and love for humanity…why does he have to end up like this?

“Don’t say anything son, you need to save your strength,” Major said tearfully,

“Tell Emily that…I’m sorry…even though I would never be able to meet her…I already love her as if I know her already…” He gasped again, clutching his chest.

“No, Jarod, don’t die please…” Ms. Parker pleaded, tears spilling over her cheeks. Jarod smiled at her, the pain in his chest lessening.

With the remainder of his strength he pulled out all the pictures he kept of his family in his pocket, “Dad…I always kept……these pictures with me where…wherever I go……always brought me hope……now they’re yours Dad…keep them……close to your heart…like I have…” he said softly

Major Charles took the pictures with both his hands and looked at his son with love in his eyes, “Thank you Jarod,” He whispered and turns to put it in his left pocket. He felt a feather-like touch against his cheek, and when he turned his head toward Jarod, his son looked into his eyes with such love, pain and sadness that tears started flowing again. Jarod’s hand fell to the floor, the pain in his chest is gone he thought with wonder as he smiled and closed his eyes, his head fell limply to one side. “Jarod? Son? God Jarod wake up!” the Major cried,

Sydney reached down and with shaky fingers he checked Jarod’s pulse, there was none. He looked up as tears broke free from his eyes and fell to the ground. “I’m sorry Major, Jarod’s gone,” he said hoarsely

“No, Jarod….please,” Ms. Parker pleaded, shaking him gently, “Please come back, please…………I love you.” Tears ran down her cheeks as she rest her head on his stomach and cried. Mr. Parker sat down hard on the chair next to him, unable to stand. The man whose life he ruined, whose family he destroyed had came back and protect him with his life in the end, now he’s gone, because of him.

Silence filled the room, everyone was consumed by their grief for Jarod, after a few minutes Willie arrived, “The paramedics is here Mr. Parker.” Willie said.

“It’s too late, Jarod is dead.” Mr. Parker replied, looking up with pain in his eyes.

The paramedic ran to the fallen pretender, checking his pulse, finding none he asked rapidly, “How long did his heart stopped?”

“About a few minutes.” Sydney answered, looking away

The paramedic motioned his team to help him, he took out the paddles, “Everyone get away!” He yelled, he looked up into Sydney’s confused expression, “Maybe there’s still a chance to start his heart again, it’s a stretch but I don’t want to lose him. Now move!” Everyone stepped away from the body as he shocked Jarod’s body with the paddles. Jarod’s body jerked but he remained flat-lined, the man did it again, still no response.

“He’s already gone.” Sydney said sadly, The paramedic looked up, revealing his face beneath his hat, “Mr. Peterson,” Sydney whispered.

“Clear!...We’ve got a pulse!” Mr. Peterson cried with relief, “Jarod was the one who got my family out of here alive, if he dies now, I’ll never be able to repay my debt to him,” looking at the other paramedics, “We need to get him to the hospital STAT!”


St. Marie Hospital

1600 Hours

The surgeon walked out of the hospital, concern and sorrow lined his forehead, everyone got up from the chair and gathered around him, “I’m sorry, I’ve tried my best but I’m afraid Jarod suffered a fate worse then death.”

“What do you mean?” Sydney whispered

“Of the minutes his heart stopped beating, he wasn’t able to breathe which stopped the flow of oxygen to his brain…”

“What are you trying to tell us doctor?” Ms. Parker asked

“That he will remain in this comatose state for the rest of his life, of course there’s always the possibility that he could wake up from this state but it’s highly unlikely.”