Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to NBC, MTM and Pretender Productions.
 
 

A Pretender Story
part XV
by Evanescent


 
 

Jarod's gone!" Young Jarod cried fearfully, "I couldn't find him!"

Major jumped to his feet, "Get everyone up," he ordered, "Sydney, wake up. Jarod is missing,"

Sydney opened his eyes and got up, he was confused but soon understanding dawned on him, "Ms. Parker, Broots, get up!  Jarod is gone!" He yelled, The Centre, he thought fearfully.

****

The Centre
800 Hours

"Welcome back Michael." Raines rasped and slapped Jarod across the cheek.  Jarod smiled coldly and sat down on the chair.

Mr. Parker walked into Jarod's cell, and was startled to find Jarod sitting in his chair, "Michael came back on his own." Raines said triumphantly walking over to him.

Mr. Parker stared in surprise at Jarod, yet Jarod showed no emotion but there was something different in his eyes...impossible.  The Jarod he knew would never put himself in danger...unless to protect someone he loves, he must do something...and cleared his throat, "Good, now that we know that we could trust him, I granted him his freedom."

Raines looked at him in shock, Jarod who pretended to remain emotionless, was also surprised but he hid it well.  "Are you saying that we set him free?" Mr. Raines asked in a tight, controlled voice.

"Hell no.  You know me better than that, I mean in the Centre." Mr. Parker answered, "He will be free to move around in the Centre, of course if he tried to escape-"

"Did you forget what that he tried to kill you?" Mr. Raines rasped

"As far as I can tell Raines, you made Michael what he is today. So-"

"You think that I ordered him to kill you? -" Raine's temper flared.

"Or he may have absorbed your personality accidentally during a sim." Mr. Parker replied.  He saw Raines eyes dropped, the man hadn't anticipated that.

"Fine." Raines answered, he looked down at Jarod, who remained staring ahead, then walked out the door.

After he left, Mr. Parker turned to Jarod, "Jarod," he said, Jarod didn't turn his head, he knew that Mr. Parker was testing him.

"Michael." Mr. Parker almost smiled, the man knew he was testing him.

Michael turned to him with coldness in his eyes, Mr. Parker asked him with softness in his voice though he had tried to cover it up, "Is my daughter-okay?" He asked.

Jarod looked at this man in a whole new light, he must love Ms. Parker very much he thought, though Ms. Parker hadn't realized it.  He looked up at the man and almost smiled until he remembered that he was being watched, "Your daughter is fine." He answered without emotion.

Mr. Parker nodded and walked out the door.

In the air vent, Angelo held in his hand a camcorder and was pointing toward Jarod's room, recording everything they said.  He opened his computer and copied the tape into the computer (we see the computer screen, the cursor pointed to the button 'Send' and clicked).

***

Hunting Shack
900 Hours

"I'm going to the Centre." Major yelled and started walking toward the door.

Sydney stopped him, "Major, please! We have know for sure that Jarod is back at the Centre or else we will be putting ourselves in danger!"

"Syd's right," Ms. Parker said, "Jarod-"

"There's a e-mail on your computer Major." Broots interrupted, he was sitting at the desk with the computer turned on. He shrunk back, expecting Ms. Parker to glare at him but instead, she raised an eyebrow and walked over to the computer

Major ran over to his computer (we see the cursor moving to the picture of a mailbox with mail and clicked on it) After waiting for a few minutes, Major saw the footage of the conversation between Mr. Parker, Raines, and Jarod.  He sat back on the chair next to Broots, "Jarod went back to the Centre on his own," He whispered, hurt and pain shown in his eyes, Young Jarod walked over to his father and placed a comforting hand on him, sharing his pain.

"I don't understand," Sydney said softly, "I thought we were getting through to him." We've lost him he thought.

"Major," Ms. Parker whispered, "Is it possible that Jarod did this to protect us?" All the heads in the room snapped up and looked directly at her, "Last night...forget it.  I was probably dreaming yet it felt so so real..."

"Please Ms. Parker, I need you to remember..." Sydney pleaded

"Last night I thought Jarod whispered to me not to forget him, then I heard a door opened and closed..."she didn't added that he touched her cheek because she knew that she must have been dreaming, Jarod would never do that, at least to her.

The room fell silent, the Major was the first to speak, "If this is true...then Jarod just sacrificed himself to protect us." He whispered hoarsely.
 
 
 
 
 

Any Compliments or Criticisms

Thank you!!