Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to NBC, MTM and Pretender Productions.
 
 

A Pretender Story
part XII
by Evanescent


Major Charles and Ms. Parker was walking along the trail when Sydney ran toward them and yelled, "Jarod fell into the lake!" without a second thought, the three was soon on a dead run toward the lake.

Jarod tried to gasp for air but only more water filled his lungs, I’m drowning he thought in dim awareness….

Major and Ms.Parker arrived at the scene, "What the hell happened?" Ms. Parker yelled

"Jarod fell into the lake!" Young Jarod cried, "He didn’t know how to swim, Broots and I couldn’t swim either so we couldn’t help him."

"What do you mean he doesn’t know how to swim?  Didn’t he learn it at the Y—damnit, Syd, your boy genius forgot everything he ever learned during those 3 years." Ms. Parker quickly looked over at the lake, and saw Jarod disappeared from the surface.

Major Charles jumped in first and quickly swam to where Jarod disappeared.  He dived in, and soon got Jarod, he put his right arm around Jarod’s neck and dragged him into shore.  Jarod gasped for air, coughing loudly as he crawled onto the surface.  Ms. Parker, Young Jarod, Broots, and Sydney ran to him, taking of their jackets to wrap around him.  Jarod saw the Major crawled out of the water, his face pale and lined with fatigue.  Sydney walked over to him and said, "Major, you’re burning up," he looked over to the others, "We need to get the both of them into the house as soon as we can."

****

Hunting Shack
1600 Hours

"Get ice from the refrigerator, towels from the bathroom and extra blankets from the closet." Sydney instructed, Ms. Parker and Broots nodded and walked away to get those supplies.  He put a hand on Jarod’s forehead, he was also burning up, Jarod flinched back, alarmed at the sudden touch.

Jarod looked over at Major, who was sleeping, his face was so pale, why he thought, why did he save me?  After all I have said to him, why did he save me? Why?

Sydney brought the ice pack, and brought it to Jarod’s forehead, Jarod shook his head, took the ice and brought it to Major’s forehead, the Major opened his eyes and was surprised at this change in Jarod, he’s coming back he thought happily and covered his hand over Jarod’s.  Jarod stared at his hand, this is too dangerous he thought, but right now the Major…….no, his father needed him, he couldn’t pull away from him now.  "Why?" He softly asked, "Why did you save me?" Ms. Parker and Broots came back, Sydney and Young Jarod motioned them not to talk as they look at the father and son.

"Because, you’re my son," Major simply said.

"But—"

"You’re my son.  No matter what I would always love you Jarod, that’s what dads are suppose to do," with a half smile.

Jarod looked up, he was about to tell him to call him Michael but for some reason the words didn’t feel right on his lips, not anymore….He smiled at the Major and covered his other hand with the Majors, all the people surrounding them gave each other grins, Jarod is coming back.

Young Jarod walked to the kitchen and took out the ice cream; he then grabbed 6 bowls and spoons, and walked back to the living room.  He handed it to the Major and said, "Here, have some ice cream, they’re very good."

Jarod happily opened the carton and was the first one to scoop out the ice cream, he was about to eat it himself but then he stopped.  Instead he shyly handed the bowl to the Major and said, "Here, Dad." Major beamed and took the bowl from him.

"Thank you, son." Broots, who was standing behind Sydney, put a hand on his shoulder, Sydney looked behind him and gave him a triumphant smile.  Ms. Parker gave a look at Jarod and for the first time she been here, she smiled at him. Jarod looked at her mesmerized, she is so beautiful…..her eyes…..it’s her!  She’s the mysterious woman that he saw in his memories, if only, he thought with sadness, looking away, if only she felt the same way…

*****

Hunting Shack
2000 Hours

Sydney took both their temperatures and exclaimed, "Both their fevers is gone!" Jarod and Major Charles gave each other a grin, Young Jarod happily said, "It’s because of the ice cream!  I knew something that good had to be good for you."

Everyone slept soundly that night.

*****

Hunting Shack
800 Hours

Major woke up, and happily got out of his bed.  After he brushed his teeth, he walked over to Jarod’s room, the smell of eggs filled the air, probably his younger son cooking at the stove again he thought, ever since he discovered his love for food he had been experimenting every morning from the cookbooks he bought. He opened the door of Jarod’s room, and found it empty.

He frantically searched around the room and ran into the living room, no sign of Jarod he thought frantically, he had left…. he opened the kitchen door, about to tell Young Jarod to wake everyone up when he saw Jarod. He was standing by the stove, reading the cookbook, with 6 omelets sizzling next to him on the stove.  Stunned, Major slowly walked in and sat at the table.  Jarod looked back at him, spatula in one hand and grinned, "Morning Dad," He said, and turned off the fire.  He scooped one of the omelets onto a plate and handed it to him with a fork.  "I’ve been reading these cook books to help me pass time while waiting for you guys to get up and decided to do a little cooking."

The Major picked up the fork and stabbed into the omelet, he took a bite out of it, "Son, this is delicious!" He cried and took another bite, and then another, Jarod beamed.  Ms. Parker, Sydney, and Broots walked into the kitchen rubbing their eyes, Jarod stopped smiling and glared at them, then walked out the kitchen.

"Just give him time, he’ll come around soon enough.  At the mean time, help yourself to one of the omelets." Major replied when the three began to look disappointed.

Young Jarod walked into the room, "Omelets!" He cried, "My favorites!" He quickly grabbed a plate and scooped one of the omelets from the pan, setting it on the table and began to devour it.

They all sat down and ate the omelets, all amazed at how good these omelets were as Jarod sat alone in his room, thinking.

****

Jarod’s Room
900 Hours

"Jarod," Major said, he opened the door and found his son deep in thought.  "You have to give Ms. Parker and the others a chance too son."

"Why?  Aren’t they the ones who were trying to catch me? The ones that tried to ruined my life on a daily basis?" Jarod growled, remembering what Mr. Raines told him about them.

"Yes son, but they were also the ones that loved you also, they are also prisoners too, they are free yet their not and might never will be," Major replied

"Why?"

"Because if they try to get away, the Centre would harm their loved ones.  That is why Sydney didn’t leave Jarod, because you’re still in danger.  Everyone has someone to protect son, someone they are willing to die for, what are you willing to protect son?"

"Family." Finally he understood the true meaning what the man had said to his family, and them, he thought silently.

"Just give them another chance Jarod, if you’re not doing it for them, do it for me. Can you do that son?"

"I’ll try Dad." Jarod replied.

"Good." Major said smiling and walked to the door, "Now let’s go get you your breakfast." And the two walked out the door and into the kitchen.
 
 
 
 
 

Any Compliments or Criticisms

Thank you!!