Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaime is in part 1 and spoilers in a sense. Thanks to Niceole and Paula for urging me to finish this . . . . .





The House That Jarod Built
6/?
by Trish








"Okay, Lucas," Jarod smiled and gripped the hand that the man had extended in front of him," Now I better get in there before they send a scouting party out to find me. Nice to met you, I just wish it were under different circumstances."

"I wish so, too. I will see you on Saturday, won't I?" Lucas returned the grin, and at that moment his pager beeped," You'll have to excuse me, ER needs me."

"Of course. Saturday," Jarod watched as the man turned and walked away, then he too headed in the direction of Cole's room. Stopping momentarily outside the door, Jarod heard raised voices and immediately made his presence known.

" What's the ruckus about gentlemen? You know that there are patients that are trying to recover."

" Cole's trying to get out of bed," Thomas replied, a pleading look for help flashing in his blue eyes.

"Cole, my man, that is not a good move. No pun intended," Jarod said as he pulled a chair closer to the young man," You need to allow the swelling around the spinal area time to go down. Let the meds that Lucas prescribed for you have a chance."

"But Jarod. . . ."

"No buts, Cole," Alex interrupts," Jarod's right. Give the medicine a chance."

"Fine," Cole replied, sullenly, then brightens slightly," Thomas says that you're working for Braydon, is that true?. Jarod nods. "Watch out for Matt, he's Braydon's eyes and ears on the job site when Braydon's not around.

"Good to know, now, I'll see you tomorrow, then," Jarod said as he gripped Cole's hand. Releasing the young man's hand, he turned and headed for the door, once outside, a hand on his shoulder stopped him.

"Jarod?" Thomas said softly.

"Thomas," Jarod turned and looked the carpenter in the eyes, a smile forming," I have some research to do at the local library and I liked to get there before it closes. I'll see you at the house later tonight."

" What are you up to Jarod? And how did you know about the treatment for Cole?"

"Told you, research. So if you'll excuse me, I have somemore to do. Oh, that reminds me, the analysis on that core sample I took should be back from the lab in a day or so."

"It isn't enough to prove that Braydon's guilty of negligence."

"True but it's a start, but I think that there's more than just negligence going on here, Thomas."

"Like what?" Thomas inquired.

"I'll fill you in later. I really need to get to the library."

"I'm holding you to that. If I can do anything to help convince the law that Braydon should be shut down, I'll do it. Hell, I read the signs that passed between you and Lucas, the chances of Cole walking again are slim, aren't they?"

" Very," Jarod mumured, his hand clapping Thomas on the shoulder," Now, I'm off to the library. Later."


Jarod walked the two blocks of Main and requested to use the research library to look up not only any other accidents on jobs run by Braydon Restoration but also the Sutterfield murder. The murder had been covered nationally for weeks The periodicals index offered a whole page and a half of citations, and so he went looking for the microfiche.Most of the articles were about the family and how there were no clues as to who would want Lucien dead. Jarod photocopied and reveiwed the murder articles. Then using "Sutterfield" and "Peter Braydon" as keywords, he went back twenty years before Lucien was killed and pulled up over a dozen references, all from the Evening Star.

The first article was about the engagement of Lucien Chauncey Sutterfield III to Miss Charlotte Valentine Hilliard, daughter of Edward V. Hilliard, member of the House of Commons in Great Britain and Gwyneth A. Pierce, an American. It stated that the couple met when Miss Hilliard accompanied her mother to the States in 1926, to be an attendent for Nyssa Talbot's wedding to Ransom A. Westcott IV. It further stated that Nyssa Talbot was Mrs. Hilliard goddaughter and that Lucien was best man for Ransom Westcott. The press stated that Lucien was in awe of the young English-American beauty and when it came time for her to return home, he accompanied mother and daughter back to England, where he asked her father for permission to wed the young woman. A spring wedding is being planned which will be held in London, where Miss Hilliard resides and Mr. Sutterfield has a business office as well as here in the States. The couple will reside in London until completion of the home that the Sutterfields are building back in the states. It made mention of a unique stainglass window for the main staircase as well as the stainglass windows in the library and the leaded glass doors in the dining room. All designed by the future Mrs. Sutterfield.

Another article announced the birth of a daughter, Brenna Catherine to Lucien and Charlotte Sutterfield in October of 1930 and that the Sutterfield/Hilliard window was being returned to its niche after being taken out for some minor repairs. As to what the repairs where were not stated but there was a picture of the window in front of the house before being installed above the staircase. The article also stated that Lucien had received the news while in New York in the company of Franklin D. Roosevelt. Mr. Sutterfield was one one of many that wanted the govenor of New York to accept the Presidental nomination and help but the United States back on the financial road to recovery as well as control the unrest that was brewing in Europe.

The article that caught Jarod's attention was the one dealing with Lucien's murder in January of 1945. In the article, Lucien had been found in his study, a blow to the head was noted as the cause of death. Mr. Phillip Sutterfield, Lucien's younger brother had been home since Christmas and he announced his engagement to Sarah N. Lindley, two nights before the murder. Unfortunately, Phillip was called back to his ship that same night and he received the news of his brother's untimely death on board the destroyer U.S.S. Norman F. Scott. Also noted was that Brenna Catherine's companion, eighteen year old Jane Ehren discovered the body. According to sources close to the family, Miss Ehren was in shock at the discovery and that fourteen year old Brenna and Miss Ehren would be traveling to Oswego to help Jewish refugees for a few months and would return at a later date. Mrs. Victoria Sutterfield, Brenna's grandmother, was chaparoning the girls.

In late July of 1945, Charlotte Sutterfield was notified by the War Department that Lt. J-G Phillip Morgan Sutterfield was killed in battle. He was survived by his mother Victoria Lynne Sutterfield, sister-in-law Charlotte, widow of Lucien and mother of his niece, Brenna Catherine. A memorial service was held at the family plot and Phillip's remains were laid to rest beside his father, Lucien II and baby brother who had died in infancy. It was noted that Mrs. Charlotte Sutterfield did not attend the service nor did his niece, who was still in Oswego. The speculation regarding Charlotte's refusal to attend is that she still believed that Phillip knew or was in someway responsible for her husband's death.

The final article that Jarod read that night, was of Miss Brenna Catherine Sutterfield returning home from her extended stay in Oswego with her mother. When it was noted that the young lady's companion, Miss Ehren, had failed to return, Mrs. Sutterfield replied that the young woman had recently married a young refugee man from Germany, Dr. Sevarin W. Wolf, a pediatrician. She also said that the couple would be returning to the area, at which time Dr. Wolf would take a position with the newly established Sutterfield Home for Children. Mrs. Sutterfield said that she saw the need for a place that would protect children left alone in the world.

The last eight articles Jarod photocopied and placed in the pile along with the rest of the articles. Glancing at the clock on the wall over the desk, he noted that there were fifteen minutes until closing time. He returned the microfishe to the library with his thanks and walked the two blocks back to the hospital in the hopes of talking to Lucas Redmond.

Having inquired at the desk, Jarod made his way to the fourth floor and found the office that he needed. A sharp rap on the door was followed by it being pulled open by the man that he needed to see.

"Jarod?" Lucas said, Can I help you with something?"

"We need to talk."

"I was just going to get a bite to eat, join me."

Lucas Redmond lead the way to, a small microbrewery and restaurant only a few blocks walk from the heart of the hospital. Jarod followed Lucas through the wood-framed glass doors into a room full of booth tables layered with a thick armor of glossy varnish, and a bar lined with occupied stools.

"The vegetarian chili is their specialty, soup's good too. It's the beer that people come here for though. Best anywhere. Try it?"

"Sure."

Lucas returned to their table, Jarod sat down reaching across the table to pick up his pint of dark malty stout.

"Looks thick enough to hold up a spoon," Jarod took a sip, and raised his eyebrows and nodded his approval at the man in the sat across from him. He was about to begin, when Lucas pre-empted him.

"You're here for one of two possibilities. Concern for Cole the most obvious, or you discovered something at Braydon's job site and knowing my dislike for the man, you want help."

"I little of both, Lucas. I stumbled across something about a month ago. Something that belongs to your family."

"What would that be?"

" I know that Braydon is looking for the stainglass window that your grandmother designed, my question is would you know if its the real one or a forgery?"

"Yes, my sister and I both could tell if it's the orginial window. Why do you ask, Jarod?"

"Braydon plans on announcing that he's found it."

"I take it that you don't agree with his finding. May I ask why?"

"Well other than the fact that I found a replica of the window in the attic of the house we are working on. . . .I have the original and know its secret."

"Care to enlighten me then," Lucas replied, his curiousity peaked.

Jarod nodded.

"Of course."



Jarod gently closed the door as he let himself into the house, mulling over his plans for Braydon. His meeting with Lucas had gone better than he could have hoped. In fact, Jarod had a meeting with Lucas and his sister, August, the next day scheduled for seven in the morning. The renovations on the house Thomas was working on seemed to be moving rather swiftly, he noticed, as he made his way along the hallway to his borrowed bedroom. Fully sated from his late night dinner with Lucas, a hot shower and a good night sleep was next on his agenda. As he closed the door to his room, he thought about the last time he had managed to elude the ever tenacious Miss Parker and her minions. Thinking of his advesary reminded him of his first encounter over a shared
pizza with Thomas and their later discussions about home renovations. Reaching into his metal case, Jarod extracted a manila folder, lifting the cover and removing the photos inside. He was shuffling through them when there was a knock on his bedroom door.

"Jarod?" Thomas called from the hallway," I have fresh bath towels for you."

"Come in Thomas," Jarod replied, and watched the door swing open and Thomas entered," You will make an excellent wife someday my friend."

"Funny, Jarod, very funny. Did you find what you needed at the library?"

"Yes, I did." Jarod replied as he placed the pictures he was holding face down on the upside down plastic milk crates that that served as a desk. " I even went back to check on Cole, as well as met up with Lucas. He invited me to dinner at. . ."

"Fitzgerald's, it's his home away from home," Thomas chuckled as he walked toward Jarod, placing the towels in his outstretched hands. Mid-stride Thomas' knee caught the corner of the photos that hung over the edge of the milk crate. The photos fell and scattered across the wooden floor, some landing face up. Thomas quickly scooped down to retrieve the photos for Jarod. He glanced down and caught sight of a woman who took his breath away....dark hair, and a face that instantly captured his imagination. Then he remembered who the pictures belonged to, and he began apologizing profusely.

"Oh, Jarod! Man, I'm so sorry! I hope that I didn't ruin. . ." he stopped, his eyes still riveted to the photo he'd picked up," but you've been holding out on me, Jarod. That's quite a girlfriend."

Jarod's smile widened and there was a glimmer of something in his eyes as he looked at Thomas. Taking hold of the photo, he looked at the picture before placing it on the milk crate.

"She's a friend, Thomas. Nothing more." his expression wistful.





Feedback please : Ractrish@aol.com