Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer is that I don't own the characters and needed to write this story. . . .
feedback is always welcome. . . . . . .






The House That Jarod Built
4/?
by Trish








Matt led Jarod over to the scaffolding that had held Cole a little over eighteen hours ago, explaining as they walked that the asbestos siding had to be removed, so that the original brick facing could be cleaned and restored. They began to climb the iron scaffolding like two monkeys and the minute his hands touched the planking, he could feel the softness. Dry-rot, his hands told his brain. Yet there was another smell that permeated the house. Neglect. Jarod scanned the exterior of the house as Matt continued to rattle on about the carelessness of young Cole. The walls appeared abnormally high. The orginal facing was dark red brick; almost chestnut in color, the roof was slate grey tiles. The windows were oak in someplaces but others had been replaced with metal, which had been painted white but had yellowed, cracked and peeled with time. The chimney was original, high, and wide with intricate brickwork, yet something struck him as odd. The roof where the chimney was situated had an irregular pitch at one end.

Later, when the rest of the crew was at lunch, he would inspect the rest of the house. There were more than renovations going on in this place, his brain told him. A trip to the local library might be in order, that is if Thomas didn't know the history of the place. Jarod had a feeling that Thomas could not only fill him in but that he was a untapped fountain of information.

****

The crew broke for lunch around 12:30, but Jarod declined to join them, offering the excuse that he wanted to complete the task given to him, knowing that they were on a deadline. Braydon snorted at Jarod's dedication and left with the rest of the crew. Prying the remaining few tiles of asbsetos from around the window frame, Jarod waited till the trucks were completely out of sight. He bent down and ran a hand along the wood, he realized that this was not the same piece from yesterday, but it to was ready to splinter. Climbing down from the yellow scaffolding, he made his way to the back of the house, there in the corner of the yard was the dumpster that housed all the scrape that was being removed and piled next to it was a pile of wooden planks. He immediately spotted the dark brown plank that had lain next to Cole's body yesterday. Taking a small metal tool from his pocket, Jarod quickly twisted it into the wood and removed a core sample of the wood. Placing the tubular piece of wood into a plastic bag, he headed into the house, slipping the bag into his tool pouch.

He entered the foyer, taking note of the room to the left, living room and across from that a very spacious and elegant dining room, both in the final stages of being completed. The kitchen which was located at the back of the house had been completed, and it was there that Braydon had set up his office. A small file cabinet, the phone and the computer sat on the metal table which was covered with blueprints, invoices, and some rather cryptic notes.

A narrow doorway led to the dining room, and he made his way through it, inspecting the workmanship. The wood trim was supposedly golden oak, but on closer inspection it was a cheaper pine, stained to give the appearance of the expensive wood. The main focal point of the room, a mahogny brick fireplace, was located on the right wall. The mantle above was supposedly made of golden oak inlaid with inch thick white and black marble. Unfortunately time was not something he had a lot of at the moment, and inspecting everything was not of the utmost importance. Finding out why Cole fell was.

Heading back to the main foyer, Jarod took the stairs that would lead to the upstairs. Entering the small landing, he found three bedrooms, one of which was untouched. It had a dormer window, which faced south, the wallpaper was stained from the damp; the ceiling was flaking; the window sills were rotten. The heaters leaked, and the limestone coated the values. A narrow flight of steps lead up to the attic from inside the room, he found the doorlatch new and locked, yet a draft could be felt coming from around the seams of the door. The smell was even fresh. Jarod stood on the steps, noting that no light showed through, so at least the roof was sound. Why, he wondered, would there be a new lock on an old door?

At exactly 1:30, the crew returned from their lunch. Jarod had finished the job assigned him and he watched as the men piled out of the two trucks. The absence of Braydon didn't go unnoticed by Jarod, so when he asked Matt where the boss was, having his head nearly bitten off indicated either trouble or a problem. Instinct told Jarod that it was a little bit of both. Trouble that maybe what happened to Cole raised a few eyebrows. At dusk, the men called it a day and Jarod headed for his temporary home.

***

Walking in the front door, he found Thomas standing on the ladder in the living room, drywall gun in hand.

"Hey, Jarod, could you hand me that box of drywall screws?"

"The 1 5/8" or the 1 1/2," Jarod said as his hand hovered over the two boxes," Any news on Cole?"

"Black 1 5/8"," Thomas answered, as he reached down and took hold of the box, "Thanks. Yes, a Doctor Redmond called Alex, earlier this evening, I let him go to the hospital. The rest of the crew got to knock off early, most of them are still shaken up regarding Cole's accident. So, it's just me."

"Thomas, what can you tell me about the house that Braydon is renovating?"

"What the old Sutterfield place? How much time you got on your hands?"

"As much time as needed, why?"

"Give me a hand with this drywall and I'll tell you the history behind the house. Once you hear it, then you'll know why I wanted to work on it."

"Deal," Jarod said as he helped Thomas position the drywall in between
the two by four studs.



Feedback please : Ractrish@aol.com