Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer is that I don't own the characters and needed to write this story. . . .
feedback is always welcome. . . . . . .






The House That Jarod Built
3/?
by Trish







They drove for about thirty minutes and then Thomas pulled the truck into the parking lot of Rosa de Pizza's Resturant. The two men alighted from the truck and headed for the resturant. They were greeted by a short gray-haired woman, wearing a tomato stained apron.

"Tomaso, it's a good to see you, my boy," she placed her gnarled hands on his cheeks and squeezed, a big, bright smile on her face,"Who's this, Tomaso?'

"A friend, Rosa. He helped Cole this afternoon."

"How is the young bambino and Alessandro?"

"It's not good, Rosa, not good. Jarod did the best he could just keeping Cole calm until Alex showed up."

"Giavonni, you are a good boy. You do your momma proud," she took hold of Jarod's chin with her pointer finger and thumb," Come, sit, and Antonio will make you a pizza pie you won't forget."

She led them to a small table hidden by a three foot brick wall covered with ivy and wicker-covered wine bottles with half burnt candles whose multi-colored wax had hardened down the side of the necks of the bottles. Rosa returned with a tray upon which sat two tall glasses of water with a twist of lemon as well as some homemade breadsticks, fresh out of the oven, tendrils of stream wafting upward.

"Thank you, Rosa," Thomas said, a smile as well as a tinkle in his blue eyes, the woman left the two alone with a promise to return with their dinner the minute Antonio took it out of the oven.

"So Jarod what brought you here to this small berg of a town?" Thomas asked, taking a sip of his water, watching the man across the table from him.

"Orginally, I was just passing through but after what happened today, I think that I might stick around awhile. From listening to you and Alex at the hospital, Cole's accident should never have happened. One of the other workers at the house said the same thing to the EMT. Any idea as to why it did?"

"Sure, Braydon's a careless contractor. Ten to one that planking was old and ready to be used for braces and such in setting up wall pans for foundation walls. He probably repainted it so that it would pass inspection. I have no clue as to why the handrail unlatched, unless. . ." his convesation suddenly cut short by the arrival of the man himself. Jarod turned slightly in his seat to catch sight of the man that caused so much anger in the man that was seated across from him.

'He's very full of himself, isn't he," Jarod said, turning back to face his dinner companion," Think that he's hiring?"

"Jarod, do you even know anything about constuction?"

"Hammer and nails, what else is there to know?" he smiled," Believe me, I'm a fast learner, once I set my mind to something. Anyway, I don't think that Braydon is going to allow you on his job site after today's near brawl."

"That's true, he knows that I want to put him out of business. He's a cheat and a liar. I've had to redo some of his so called restorations. Uses the less expensive woods and inferior materials, yet charges for the more expensive. And the accidents that have occurred on his job sites, too numerous to recount. I just wish that it didn't take a friend's legs to make me want to really see justice done. Now if you could only get Cole to accept what happen to him."

"In time perhaps, we can. If you don't like Braydon, why do you stay here?"

"Have you seen some of these older homes here, Jarod? No, of course not, you just arrived here. If you can show me a house in another town with potential, I'm out of here, but for now the work is here. "

"Thomas, my friend, be careful for what you ask. I may just surprise you with a home that not only has potential but needs you badly," he laughed, as a certain house popped in to his mind. The conversation was interrupted by Rosa, who had arrived carrying a steaming hot pan with the most mouth watering pizza seen on the face of the earth.

"Ummmm! Rosa, this looks absolutely delicious," Jarod said as he eyed the creation appreciatively.

"Giovanni, you know a good thing when you see it, don't you," she replied.

"I try Rosa, I try."

The two men devoured their dinner in record time, Jarod eating more of the pizza than Thomas. Rosa and her husband, Antonio beaming at the young man's ravaneous appetite.

"Is there a hotel around here? I need to get a room, if I'm sticking around for a while," Jarod quiered.

"Hotel, no way, my friend. Look it's not much but I have a spare room at the house that I'm restoring. I would enjoy the company and since you have decided to help me with Braydon, it's the least I can do. What do you say, Jarod? " the man's words were so sincere that Jarod could not refuse him, even if he wanted too.

"Deal," he extended his hand, which Thomas accepted with his. After paying the bill for the pizza, the two headed out to the truck and made their way through the winding streets of an older neighborhood. In the twilight sky, Jarod noticed the similarities of the neighborhood to that of a small town called Blue Cove. Pulling the truck into the drive, Thomas cut the engine, and checked to make sure the gangboxes on his truck were locked, meanwhile Jarod grabbed his duffel bag and metal case from behind his seat.

"That's it?" Thomas cocked an eyebrow at the baggage.

"Free spirit. I go where the wind takes me. I have no one to answer too."

"No family either, Jarod."

"We lost touch, unintentionally. You?"

"I lost my parents in an accident, while in college. Just been me, myself and I. Haven't had a real home in a long time. Guess I haven't found a place that feels like home to me, not yet anyway."

"Would you know it if you did?"

"I hope so, Jarod. It's a lonely existence moving from place to place. Alone, it's not a good feeling," he singled out a specific key and unlocked the door to the house. They entered a darkened hallway, and Thomas reached along the wall and flicked the light switch.

"There isn't really a bed in here," Thomas said, as he led Jarod down the hallway," It's a futon. I buy what I need when I need it and then donate it to the local charities in town."

"That's fine. I've slept on worse, believe me." Jarod took his duffel bag and placed it on the floor, as his eyes scanned the room," I really appreciate this. I just hope that I'm not inconviencing you."

"Not a chance. I can't explain it but there's something about you that . . . ."

"That what?" Jarod inquired.

"Honest. . . .it's written all over your face. I should now after working in NYC, its nice to meet someone that's looking out for others and not just themselves."

"You see all that from just looking at my face," Jarod raised an eyebrow.

"Stupid, I know, but. . . " Thomas glanced at his watch," Man, I didn't realize it was so late. I have the crew coming at 7 in the morning. I hope you don't mind but there is a deadline for completing these renovations and it's got a rather hefty bonus attached to it. Some of the men could use the extra money."

"Don't sweat it? I'm usually up with the sun. I have some things to do tomorrow anyway. Good night, Thomas," Jarod extended a hand.

"Good night, Jarod."

Closing the door behind the retreating figure of Thomas Gates, Jarod returned to where he left his duffel bag and extracted his silver case. He set in up on the futon that was located in the center of the room and quickly accessed the database regarding construction and renovations of older homes. After reading through a couple dozen websites, he came to the conclusion that whatever happened this afternoon at the jobsite wasn't an accident. The next site that Jarod visited had nothing to do with the construction end of the business but contained some background information on all the persons involved. The more he discovered, the more he liked Thomas Gates and his friends and the less he liked about Peter Braydon.

"Hey, boss," the man yelled in the front door," there's someone here to see you. Says that the union sent him. He's here to take the kid's place."

The man that Jarod had seen arguing yesterday with Thomas emerged from the interior of the house covered in white dust, a rather annoyed expression across his face.

"It's about time! Got your card," he reached out a hand and accepted the card that was handed to him,"Jarod Taylor."

"That's me, Mr. Braydon."

"Matt, show Taylor here what to do? I need that siding off before nightfall and the kid's accident yesterday threw us off schedule."




Feedback please : Ractrish@aol.com