Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.




Hell To Pay
part IX
by Trisha







"Parker," murmured Jarod, his brown eyes glazed and unfocused, "love you."

She sat as still as a stone statue, shell-shocked was the best way to describe it. Inhaling deeply, she placed a cool hand on Jarod's cheek, his skin was warm and wet.

"Jarod," she whispered.

"Parker, is that you? You're all right. Lyle said . . ." he gasped for air.

"Never mind, what Lyle said. You need to be quiet, you have a fever. Rest, please."

She watched him close his eyes, turning away from him, she moved off the bed and looked out the window at the setting sun. The sky was golden pink with a dab of purple, sort of like the inside of a conch shell. Parker realized that she would have to return to the Centre soon, yet she could not leave him in the condition he was in. If only there was someone that she could turn to. Someone to trust.

Making her way to the corridor, Parker caught sight of Detective Martin, Jarod's partner.

"Guard duty?" Parker raised an eyebrow, "Any word on Carter."

"Yes, to the first question. As for Carter, he seems to have disappeared, but we will find him."

"Hopefully, before I do," Parker muttered as she made her way to the pay phone, located in the waiting room of the intensive care unit. Picking up the receiver, she hoped that what she was about to do was the right thing.

"This is Sydney," came the reply.

"Syd, any news on Carter," she asked.

"Broots tracked him just outside of Rochester, then he lost him. How's . . ."


"He's got a fever and an infection, they started him on a harsh round of antibiotics. I need a favor."

"A favor, Miss Parker. What would that be?"

"I need to make an appearance at the Centre and I don't want to leave him. Do you know anyone that could stay with him a few days? Other than trying to find the Major . . ."

"How about Nicholas? I could call and ask. I can't make any promises, though. "

"Thanks, Syd," she sighed, wearily, "I appreciate it. A quick appearance and then I'll come back. I have a funny feeling that Carter is going come back for Frank Cavell. He wants justice regarding the death of his daughter ."

"That's not justice, Parker, that's revenge. Have you rested at all since this we got there?"

"On and off. I really need to get back. I'll check my messages in about an hour or so."

"Tell him to get well, will you, Parker."

"Sure, Syd," she smiled as she pushed a strand of hair out of her face.

****

TWO DAYS LATER THURSDAY MORNING

Streaks of light broke through the blinds of the hospital window, casting eerie shadows on the prone figure on that lay on the bed, Parker looked away momentarily, fighting the urge to scream. She was not use to him being so helpless, hurt and in so much pain. His body was ravaged by fever and infection, that he just couldn't seem to shake due to his weakened condition. Shaking her head of these thoughts, she made her way to the bathroom, quickly splashing some water on her face, then running her fingers through her hair, when she heard her name called. The voice, however, was not Jarod's. It was female, Detective Martin's.

"Hailey, just a moment," she replied from the bathroom. Emerging from the room, she found the detective standing in the doorway, a lost look on her face.

"It's not easy to see him like that, he was always so full of life. He loved to clown around, such a kid. Sorry, there's a young man here, claims that he's an old friend of Jarod's," she nodded toward the door," I had him wait outside, until I checked with you. Said that Dr. Green sent. . . ."

"Nicholas," Parker said, softly.

"Yes, Nicholas Stam . . . forget it. I'm lousy at names. Should I send him in?"

"Please," she breathed a sigh of relief and thanked God, Sydney and Nicholas.

A young man entered the room, and a sharp intake of breath was heard when he saw the figure on the bed. Looking from figure to Miss Parker, he walked over and extended his hand.

"Dad called me, and the minute he told me, I took a week off. He saved my life when those terrorists grab me and when that psycho almost killed me. I owe him. Is there been any change?" Nicholas was not looking at Parker when he made mention of her brother and did not catch the look of loathing that crossed her features.

"No, he seems to have shut down. I need to get back to the office and then I should be back by the end of the week. I'll go and freshen up at Jarod's condo, then I will return here and give you the key. That way you won't have to check in to a hotel. I'm sure he won't mind."

"That's fine by me. Detective Martin here, said that she would fill me in as soon as her relief showed up," Nicholas took a seat on the chair located on the right side of the bed.

"I’ll be back in about four. I need to sleep before driving back to Delaware," she stifled a yawn," I'm not one to thank people, but Nicholas, I do thank you."

"Go rest, Miss Parker, or my father will have my head," the young man flashed a smile, then pulled out a book from the duffle bag, he had brought with him." I have my book and good company, if and when he wakes. Jarod and I have somethings to discuss regarding my father."

"Not if, Nicholas, but when," she glanced at the figure," I have a few things to discuss with him, myself."




Feedback please ! Ractrish@aol.com