Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer is in part 1. PG-13



Hell To Pay
part II
by Trisha









The knock at the front door, caused her to jump, she had been sitting, slumped across her desk, staring at the phone since she had called Sydney. Trying to will it to ring, hoping to hear his voice on the other end. Wishing he would say, "Hello, Miss Parker, did you miss me?" Rising slowly, she reached for and turned the knob of the door, and found Sydney standing there, worry written all over his features.

"What happened, Miss Parker?" he entered, looking at her as though she could give him an explanation.

"I have no idea, Syd. The hospital said to get there as soon as possible." she said, quietly.

"Miss Parker, I do think that we should. . ."

"You're right, Syd. I'll drive." she watched him grimace, slightly," I'll get us there in one piece, I promise."

He nodded, and held the door open for her as they exited the house and made their way to Miss Parker's car. Neither felt like talking, both wrapped up in thoughts and memories of Jarod. What was only a few hours, seemed a lifetime to Sydney, as Parker pulled the car into the hospital's parking ramp and into the first available parking space she found.

As soon as they stepped off the hospital's elevator, Parker was immediately beset upon, by a smartly dressed woman, with her hair swept up in a chignon. Her hazel eyes met Parker's, but they were unreadable to the younger woman.

"Miss Parker?

"How did. . .?" she asked, stunned.

"He has your picture on his desk. Captain Victoria Scott. I'm sorry that we had to meet under these circumstances," she extended her hand, and gripped Parker's firmly.

"This is Dr. Green, a longtime friend of Jarod's," Parker said, her voice betraying her," What the hell happen?"

"Miss Parker, calm down," Sydney said in a hushed tone," Captain Scott will tells us what happened, if you give her a chance, too."

"You're right, Syd," as she pushed a lock of her hair out of her face.

" He was working undercover at the local high school. Some female students..." she shook her head at the thought, then continued," one was raped, brutally beaten and left to die. At first, we thought it was a student, but Jarod put together a profile and discovered it was a teacher. He managed to get some of the other students to come forward. The case was rock solid, that is until Wayne Carter, the father of the girl that died, went postal. Jarod learned the man was holding the suspect's wife and daughter, hostage. He was first on the scene. He managed to get the child and wife released, but for whatever reason, Carter pulled the trigger. He was aiming for the little girl, I suppose he wanted to inflict the same pain on the suspect and his family, anyway Jarod saw it and took the bullet. Right in the back, it lodged next to his heart."

Parker's face paled when the Captain revealed where the bullet had lodged. She reached out for Sydney's hand, to steady herself. She couldn't, for the life of her, figure out why this was affecting her so deeply. It was Jarod. The Centre lab-rat.

"Excuse me, Captain Scott," a young officer, with a look of apology on her face, all the officers that could, have donated to the blood bank. If you wish to, the nurse is waiting for you."

"Thank you, Scanlon. Tell her, I'll be there in a moment. Seems that Jarod's blood type is rare, and the blood bank is running low. We tend to protect those of our family and during a time of crisis we pull together. If you will excuse me," Captain Scott preceded to roll up her sleeve, then turned and started to enter a small cubicle.

"Miss Parker, if you don't mind, I think I will donate as well, Jarod and I may not be the same blood type, but it will give me some thing to do. A sense of purpose," Sydney said, then left her standing alone in the hallway.

"Miss Parker," a voice from behind said dryly, " Detective Hailey Martin, Jarod's partner." Parker eyed the woman, from head to toe, taking in the lean, muscular figure, the ash-brown hair pulled away from her face, the brown eyes filled with worry.

"So, where the hell were you when he was shot?" anger dripped off her question, "Why didn't he have his vest on? That is standard procedure."

"He found out about Carter and blew out of the station in such a hurry. We immedaitely followed. As far as wearing his vest, he wouldn't, since most of his work was undercover, claimed it was a pain, " the detective shook her head.

"Figures!" Parker spat in response," Has there been any nes regarding surgery?"

"No! It's been almost six hours. Would you like a cup of coffee or something?"

Parker shook her head no, and walked over to the small waiting room. Taking a seat in an uncomfortable leather chair, she leaned her head back against the wall, remembering. The first time she saw him in the sim lab, sad and lonely. The next time, she had actually told him her name and then kissed him. How he had tried to get someone to help her mother on that horrible day, how he gave her comfort after Faith had died. He was there when Thomas died. She shook her head, no she wasn't going to go there. If anything happened to him, what would happen to her. She never realized just how entwined their lives were. Bonded together, by circumstances the Centre created, his need to find his family and her need to discover what happen to her mother. Slumping forward in the chair, her elbows on her knees, her fingers pushed through her hair, trying believe that he really was indestructible.

"Miss Parker," a gruff, yet tired voice spoke.

Looking through her fingers, she saw a blue scrub-dressed figure standing before her. A weary look in his eyes, he took a seat next to her, exhaling deeply.

"He's in recovery. The next twenty-four hours are critical. We lost him. . ."

Her hands sought out the sides of the chair, her grip so tight that the whites of her knuckles showed.

"but got him back. He lost a lot of blood. The bullet damaged his lung and it nicked his arorta before it lodged just behind it. He is very lucky to be alive. He'll be in ICU in about an hour. Once there, you can see him, but like I said, he is not out of the woods. Not by a long shot, we could still lose him," he place his hand on her's, patted it gently then got up and left her alone. The phrase, Could still lose him, echoed in her brain. Like hell, she thought, I can't.



Feedback please ! Ractrish@aol.com