Discoveries by Ticon
Summary: After believing in something for years, Jarod finds out that it isn't true.
Categories: Indefinite Timeline Characters: Jarod
Genres: General
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 3576 Read: 8436 Published: 16/09/06 Updated: 16/09/06

1. Chapter 1 by Ticon

2. Chapter 2 by Ticon

3. Chapter 3 by Ticon

4. Chapter 4 by Ticon

Chapter 1 by Ticon
Author's Notes:
Note: I haven't seen the ep. I'm quoting for months. I think I have at least gotten some of it right, but I really doubt that I've gotten all. Anyway, it isn't much, and if you have seen the ep. It's taken from you'll know what I mean. (and if you haven't seen the ep. I'm talking about then just lean back and enjoy the fic *
Another Note: I didn't get this thing betaed 'cause I don't know anyone that beta 'Pretender' fics. I don't think that there are that many mistakes….or at least I hope there aren't…

Discoveries
by Ticon







"Did you ever think of yourself as my father?"

"I never allowed myself to do so, Jarod"

The conversation swirled around in Jarod's head as he walked towards the bus stop. It had started to rain, but he didn't notice. He had always believed that even if he never found his biological father, or they took him back to the Center, he would at least have Sidney. The man was like a father to him, it hurt him to think that he wasn't like a son to Sidney. But he couldn't allow himself to dwell on it - that would lead to mistakes, and mistakes would get him captured and yet again brought back to a life in imprisonment. He bought a newspaper and got into the bus. Now he had to look for others to help. Perhaps the paper could help him?

************6 Months later*************

It was dusk as Jarod sneaked along the wall outside the Center. He had to find a suitable place to get inside. That was easier said than done. He couldn't come in the way he had gotten out because that was 3 meters above ground. He had been lucky not to break anything when he escaped for the first time! Finally he found a window and got inside. It was a tricky job, he had never been to a house with more alarms than the Center. After he had gotten inside he went straight for the air duct, that was one way that he could use over and over again. He smirked at the idea - the Center - all mighty and powerful, didn't get that it was through the sir ducts he had escaped. If they had, then they would have secured them, wouldn't they? A shudder went trough him - the people at the Center weren't stupid. He had to get out of the duct, quickly. He jumped through the first vent he came across and landed on a desk. It was Sidney's - what a coincidence. He could hear people running around in the halls. Yep - he had been right - there had been installed an alarm since his last visit. Damn - how was he supposed to get out?

***

Sidney ran through the halls…the message from miss Parker had been urgent. Something about Jarod and that they finally had him. He didn't really get that - the only way that they could have been able to catch Jarod was if he wanted to be catched. Oh well, he would find out soon enough.

***

Jarod stepped down from the desk after he had re-attached the vent so that no one would guess where he had gotten out. Then he started to search for a place to hide if it came to that, and he suspected that it would. He found the traditional hiding spot. Under the couch - it was fairly hard to spot him there, unless you came in looking for him then…

***

"Miss Parker!" Sydney was almost out of breath as he reached her. She turned and looked at him.

"Yes?"

"You said you had captured Jarod! Where is he?"

"I never said that we had captured him, just that we're close" Miss Parker started to walk toward the place where Sam stood. Sidney followed.

"How close?"

"He's in the air ducts'

"How do you know?" Sidney was starting to suspect that they weren't even close in retrieving Jarod.

"After his last little breaking and entering scheme we secured the ducts. Something set off the alarm"

"You don't know that it's Jarod. It could be a rat for all you know!"

"We don't have rats at the Center"

"Oh, we have plenty…..I'll be at my office. Call me if it is anything remotely interesting." Sydney walked off, leaving a dumbfounded miss Parker behind.

**************

Jarod was going trough Sidney's desk. He could probably find some information about that kid he was looking for here. Sidney was probably the one taking care of him, he was after all - the most capable psychologist that the Center had. Finally he found something - a box. Jarod sensed that there was something special about this box so he treated it with caution as he put it on the desk. Then he opened it and the things that were inside was every thing that he hadn't expected. The fathers day cards he thought Sidney had thrown away, a birthday present he had once made (Another thing he had though of as thrown away). There was also birthday cards for Jarod from Sidney in there. He had made them even if he knew that Jarod would never see them - it wasn't allowed. Tears were rolling down Jarods face and he sank into the chair. That was how Sidney found him…

Chapter 2 by Ticon
Discoveries
part 2
by Ticon








Sydney looked at his Pretender, wondering what could be wrong. Then he looked down at the box and up at Jarod again adding it up. He carefully closed the door to his office, locked it and drew the curtains in front of the window in the door to ensure that no one would suddenly come in.

Jarod made no move as of trying to get away of make contact with Sydney. He just followed him with his eyes.

Sydney carefully walked across the room to retrieve the box, then he sat down on the couch. He studied everything in there carefully, as if it was the first time he had seen it – determined not to be the one that broke the silence.

This went on for several minutes. Sydney sitting on the couch looking through the box, while Jarod was staring at him – desperate to get his emotions under control and start to think rationally. It appeared that he finally managed because he suddenly spoke.

„I heard what you said earlier - to your son, I mean"

Sydney looked up at sat the box down beside him.

„I said a lot of things to him. What do you mean?"

„That being the biological father doesn’t necessary make you a father. The real father is the one that are there for you when you grow up; watches while you learn new things, helps you up when you fall, bandages your knee when you hurt it and so on"

„That’s right, I said that."

There was a pause until both men looked down.

„Where are you going with this Jarod?"

„I want to know how you could let me believe that I was nothing more than some sort of a guinea pig to you, when in reality I was more!"

Jarod stood up and began to pace.

„You were?"

„Yes! Why else would you save the cards I made you? And why would you make me cards and presents for my birthdays even if you knew that you could never give them to me?!"

Jarod’s voice began to rise, so Sydney stood up and placed a hand on his shoulder. Jarod didn’t accept the gesture so he turned around and walked towards the door.

„You’ve got to calm down Jarod. If you don’t someone will hear you and then you will be captured."

Upon hearing this Jarod spun around and pointed a finger at Sydney as he walked towards his mentor.

„There’s another thing. You don’t want them to catch me, do you?"

„What do you mean? Of course I want you back, I’ve never implied otherwise"

„But you don’t want them to catch me, if you did then you would have called for help now and captured me. And you wouldn’t have stopped Miss Parker from shooting me that time if you didn’t care"

Sidney was at a loss for words. He saw Jarod as the son he never had, that is, the son he thought he didn’t have. But he wouldn’t admit it, because he then knew that Jarod would be more vulnerable.

Just as he opened his mouth to speak did something happen; he could almost describe is as ‘saved by the bell’. Only that this particular bell could get both him and Jarod in trouble if she discovered the prodigy which was standing...., wherever he was standing. He had slipped past him as Sydney focused on the door. Now probably hiding somewhere in the office

„Sydney! Are you in there?? Open the damned door!"
Miss Parker slammed her fist hard in the poor door for the third time.

„I’m in here Miss Parker. Hold on for a second and calm down. I only have one door you know – what would I do if you were to break it?"

Miss Parker walked quickly past Sydney and into the office as he opened the door. She scanned the room before turning towards him.

„Why was your door locked? What’s going on Sydney?"

„Nothing’s going on, miss Parker. You woke me up in the middle of the night for a wild goose-chase after Jarod. I merely locked the door so that I could get some privacy while trying to get some sleep. But yet again, you woke me up."

Ms. Parker took a step towards him, looking his straight into the eyes.

„You slept while we’re closer to finding Jarod than we’ve been for months?!?

„No. -- I slept, but I don’t think that we’re close to finding him"

„Why is that?"

„Jarod is too smart to be caught by a simple air-duct alarm. He knows that we found out how he both ran away, and sneaked in again. Of course he would understand that you’ve secured it."

„You have way too much confidence in your little lab-rat."

Miss Parker took a step away from Sydney, just looking at him.

„And it was a nice explanation you had there, except for one thing – one minor detail."

Sydney crossed his arms over his chest, and then proceeded to move one of his hands up under his chin.

„What are you talking about?"

„You look exactly as you did when I spoke to you ten minutes ago"

„Of course I do, it was only ten minutes, I don’t age that quickly"

„You know what I mean. You even have your jacket still on. Don’t come here and tell me that you sleep in it – that would just be an offence to my intelligence."

Sydney was about to respond when Miss Parker noticed something in the room. She turned away from him.

„You know Sydney – the remark you made earlier about the Center having plenty of rats.....you were right – and I believe that I’ve just found one!

END PART 2




So, what did you think? Want another part? Feedback is the key ;)

(And for those of you that requested this part to be longer – I’m sorry that it didn’t get longer than this, but I also got requests about writing it quickly, so I decided to write it rather quickly and not too long *)

Chapter 3 by Ticon
Discoveries
part 3
by Ticon







„What do you mean – you’ve just found a rat?"

„Just what I said...I’ve found a rat. A lab-rat to be precise."

„And where have you found it, or should I say him – because I presume that you mean Jarod"

„Brilliant Sherlock"

Miss Parker drew her gun and held it in front of her – ready to shoot everything that moved. Especially if it was a rat....

„You can stop searching because he’s not here."

„Surprise, surprise. You’re trying to protect him, and I’m not believing you"

She continued to move towards the couch.

„Jarod. I’m going to count to five and within that time you will come out of that ridiculous little hiding place of yours, or I’ll set a bullet through it which will probably go through you as well."

„1"

„2"

„Miss Parker, don’t be ridiculous. You’ll only ruin my couch."

„You can buy a new one.......3"

„You can’t do this"

„Watch me"

„4"

„Stop it Parker"

„5"

Miss Parker took a final aim, but just as she were about to pull the trigger did Sydney stretch out a hand and grab her gun – pointing it upwards, against the ceiling.

„Well, well. Look who just got caught lying. Can’t believe you fell for that!„

„Fell for what?"

„I had no idea where he was. I came here to tell you that we’d called off the search. You had your door locked, and if that weren’t reason enough for me to get suspicious – you came up with that lame excuse about sleeping."

Miss Parker lit a cigarette and blew the smoke in Sydney’s face.

„I didn’t know if her were under the couch or not, and even if I knew I would never have pulled the trigger. Have you got any idea on what the Centre would do to me if I killed their prodigy? See for yourself – the safety is on."

Sydney angrily took the gun from ms. Parker and looked at it. – she was telling the truth. He then put the gun on his desk while Ms. Parker bend down to get Jarod – drag out him by his hair if necessary. But he wasn’t there.

„Where is he?!"

„What do you mean?"

Sydney again feigned innocence.

„Cut the crap Syd, it’s getting really old, really fast! Either you tell me where he is, or I’ll tell my father that you tried to hide him. What do you think will happen to you then??"

„Honestly Parker. He was here, but when I turned around after focusing a little on the door you were banging on he had disappeared."

„Again, I don’t believe you."
She turned away from Sydney.
„Jarod!! Wherever you are; come forth or Syd here will get it pretty bad the next years....."

Suddenly a finger tapped her on the shoulder and she quickly turned around while speaking.

„Sydney, I told....."

She abruptly shut up when she saw who it was. Jarod! Sydney had a mix of a shocked and sad expression on his face. This was exactly what he had feared would happen if Jarod ever got such an idea into his head. Thinking of him as a father! He was in that case the lousiest father ever to walk on this earth!
His train of thoughts were interrupted by a gloating miss Parker.

„Well, well, what have we here"

Ms. Parker was really enjoying this. Putting her hands on her hips also helped increase the confidence she already was showing.

„The long lost son has finally come home..."

„Son?"

„It’s kind of an expression.....didn’t really expect you to figure that out."

Jarod released his breath quietly without knowing that he was holding it. So she didn’t know – that was good. There was no way that he would be placed under Sydney’s care if they knew....
Speaking of which. What was up with him? His face clearly showed annoyance. Jarod though for sure that his mentor would be happy if he came back....
Miss Parker had already phoned Sam and Willie. They were right around the corner. Sydney couldn’t really comprehend all this. Jarod was back. The sweepers were right around the corner. Jarod was back. When did Parker call the sweepers? Jarod was back! Sydney had to sit down.

„What’s wrong – Syd. Not happy with getting your test subject back? Now we can finally go back to our normal lives. That would mean you brainwashing some poor child, me up with the high bosses and Broots, well, I don’t know what Broots normally do."

Miss Parker seemed so pleased with herself. Could she really be so happy over not having to work with him and Broots anymore? Sydney refused to believe that she was. There had to be something else under this obvious charade. He just didn’t know what. But there had to be!

The two Sweepers suddenly came running into the room, grabbing Jarod and putting handcuffs on him.
Sydney winced at the pain his charge obviously was in. He decided to try and reason with miss Parker.

„Is that really necessary Parker? I mean, he gave himself up; no real danger that he’ll run away"

„You can bet your life on that it’s necessary. He ran away the last time we had him here in the centre, remember?!"

She brought the conversation to an end by turning away from Sydney and walking out the door, waving her hand a little so that the Sweepers would follow with Jarod. Sydney sighed and started to follow. Determined to find out where they were taking him. He was met with Miss Parkers hand.

„You’re not coming. I’m not going to risk loosing him again."

„You can’t deny me from coming along. He’s still my assignment and I have the right to see where he’s being taken"

„I’ll tell you when he’s safely secured. Don’t worry – I wouldn’t dream of taking your little experiment from you..."

He opened his mouth to speak again, but after noticing miss Parker’s glare did he change him mind and shut it again.

„Wise choice... I’ll be in touch." She let out a little laugh, still hadn’t fully understood that she had finally captured Jarod. Her father would be so proud! She was practically glowing with pride as she walked away to catch up with Willie, Sam and Jarod.

Sydney watched them walk away and around a corner, before he sighed yet again and walked into his office – closing the door behind him. He had some serious thinking to do!





Feedback: Yes, please! It's my first Pretender fic, so I really wanted to know if I did alright or if I should never get near a pen again!

Note: Still looking for a beta! If there’s anyone out there, feel free to reach up a hand and I’ll come running towards you before you can change your mind ; )

Another Note: I want to thank all the people that sent me such great feedback! (you know who you are : ).

Chapter 4 by Ticon
Discoveries
part 4
by Ticon








It all started when Jarod came on this unannounced visit. Normally it would be rather nice to talk to him in person, but not this time – too much was at stake here! He had been looking for something. It was either that or he had decided to pull one of the pranks which he obviously had grown rather fond of. But he had brought nothing with him – so it had to be something that he was searching for. But what was it? Sydney hadn’t the faintest idea on what it could be. He had to think about that later and maybe search through some of the Centres latest files – see if there was anything new. All he knew was that Jarod hadn’t found what he was looking for.

But that didn’t mean that he hadn’t found something – oh no! He had found something that Sydney had hoped to keep away from him, something that he never was supposed to see.

Sydney again picked up the box that had started this whole mess. Why had he kept these things? Of sentimental reasons, that said itself, but he should have known better. With a job like this *sigh*, you couldn’t afford to be overcome with emotions. He carefully picked up each object and studied them thoroughly. They sure brought back memories. Both pleasant and unpleasant.

A shudder went through him as he though of might have happened if miss Parker or Broots had come in with him. Well, Broots he could handle, but not miss Parker. What was wrong with her? She was wearing a mask; over the years he had sometimes been able to see at least partly of her true face – and what he had seen and discovered was a lot better than the mask she was wearing

But still, if she had been here.....

Jarod had been unable to control his emotions upon finding this box. If he had started talking about the father/son feelings, Sydney knew for sure that they would never have been given Jarod to him ever again.

And finally – the confrontation. Jarod was convinced that Sydney looked at him as his son. Which was true, to some extent. At least that was what Sydney had convinced himself over the years, and he wasn’t all sure if he wanted to disturb those emotions. But for the emotions he had this day – those had to be put under control and sorted out before he could face Jarod again. It was imperative. Or else this whole thing would end with disaster – which was pretty much where it was headed already.

No, this was a very complicated situation. And Sydney didn’t have the faintest idea on how to deal with it!


TBC



This was a very short part, I know. But it wasn’t really much more to say...

Well, if you want a new part......but you probably know the drill already : )


Feedback: Yes, please! It's my first Pretender fic, so I really wanted to know if I did all right or if I should never get near a pen again!

Note: Still looking for a beta! If there’s anyone out there, feel free to reach up a hand and I’ll come running towards you before you can change your mind ; )

Another Note: I want to thank all the people that sent me feedback! (you know who you are : ). 

This story archived at http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=4946