For Catherine by StarBeam
Summary: After living with the Centre as part of her life Charity finds herself in the hands of Raines and Lyle.
Categories: Indefinite Timeline Characters: Jarod, Lyle, Miss Parker, Mr Raines, Original Character, Sydney
Genres: Angst, Drama
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: Charity Series
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 7945 Read: 32309 Published: 28/08/05 Updated: 28/08/05
Part 4 by StarBeam
No I didn't write, produce, put it on TV are any of the other stuff so I don't own the show tP in any way.




For Catherine

Part Four
By: Starbeam




I laid there wishing I could wake then I heard some one crying.

'Papa' I thought 'Papa I'm here.'

"I'm sorry about earlier. I shouldn't have yelled at you, Charity. I just-" I heard

'M-Mr. Parker' I said to myself confused by his emotional state. ' I-I had no idea you cared so much about me.'

"Please wake up. I promise I'll try harder to keep you from harm. You weren't to be their subject. God, will you forgive me? I called your father. He'll be here soon, please sweet child, wake up for him I know you wouldn't for me and I can see why. I never treated you like I should have, but I don't know how to show love. My heart left after your grandma died." He said sobbing.

'Not this-this can't be true.' I told myself 'You'll do anything say anything to-to get me to wake. You're right I'm only here because of my family. I don't trust you. You've hurt Cathrine and me to many times.'

"Sir, he's here. Do you want me to send him in?" I heard an unfamiliar voice ask.

"Yes" Mr Parker replied "I'll keep you safe, Charity."

"Sir" I heard

'No!' I screamed inside 'Y-you lied again.'

"Do what you can for her. If she dies you'll pay. You really missed up, Raines." Mr. Parker said angrily.

"Yes, sir, but remember I was doing a job for the Centre. I had no clue who the child was. If I knew she was a hands-off resident then I'd have never touched her." Raines told him.

"You're only hope out of this is Charity being awake and well." Mr. Parker said

"I see from the brainwave machine that she's in a dream state. Do you want me to wake her?" Raines asked

"Will it harm her in any way?" Mr. Parker asked

"No, sir. She should wake fine. The rewiring of the brain will be in the last stages of completion. After that she'll be the Centre's top resident." Raines said

"Very well." Mr. Parker answered

'No please keep that monster away from me. God no I can't take this any more.' I cried. Then I felt myself slipping from the warm white place I was in to the darkness of the first stage of sleep to consciousness. My entire body was ravaged with pain.

"She's awake now, sir." Raines said

"Charity" Mr. Parker asked me.

I made no attempt to answer him.

"Why isn't she responding." Mr. Parker asked

"Maybe she doesn't want to or maybe the rewiring is interfering." Raines replied

"How long until it's completed?" Mr. Parker asked

"I'm sure it won't be much longer, sir" Raines said

"Charity, can you hear me?" Mr. Parker asked

"There it's done, sir. According to the brainwaves she's fully awake and the procedure is complete." Raines said

'Great' I said to myself 'My mind is a mess and it's to stay this way?'

I tried to open my eyes. The task was extremely painful. Upon success I found my world dark. I quickly closed my eyes.

"I don't take that as a good sign, Raines." Mr. Parker raged.

"I not understand what happened." Raines told him "She should be fine."

"Well, should isn't is." Mr. Parker bite.

I felt a hand on my face next to my right eye and turned my head away. I wasn't about to let Mr. Raines touch me again.

"Charity, I'm trying to see what's wrong." Raines told me "If I can't get her to cooperate I'll need to restrain her."

"Charity" Mr. Parker said "Let Mr. Raines look at your eyes."

I slowly turned my face to the side where their voices where coming from and slightly shook my head.

"She seems able to understand us." Raines said "I need a way to check her eyes without harming her."

"Very well" Mr. Parker said

'No' I cried turning my head back to where they wanted it. I slowly opened my eyes again, but I couldn't keep them open.

"I think you got her cooperation." Mr. Parker said "No restraints."

I felt Raines' hand by my right eye again. This time I let him open it with his finger and thumb.

'Get done.' I cried 'Oh the pain it's too much.' I grabbed his hand with both of mine and tried to pull his from my face. I was too weak to give much of a fight. I felt a hand remove mine and restrain them.

"Mm" I moaned

"She made a noise. That's a good sign." Raines said opening my other eye. I pulled my face away.

"Listen, young lady, you need to be still." Mr. Raines snapped moving my face back where he wanted it.

"You'd better remember to be careful not to harm her. I don't like your tone either, change it." Mr. Parker ordered.

"Yes, sir" Raines said noticeably irritated.

"Careful" Mr. Parker warned

Raines opened my left eye again and looked at it.

"I don't understand. Her eyes seem to have rolled up to the point so you can see only white. She's blind, sir, and there's nothing to be done." Raines said "What do you want me to do?"

"Leave!" Mr. Parker stormed

"You're treating her like a non-resident." Raines said annoyed

"Out!" Mr. Parker barked "Now or so help me."

"Very well, you know where I'll be when you need me again." Mr. Raines said

I heard him walk out of the room.

"Charity" Mr. Parker said "Forgive me, please. I think it's best you leave us now. Tell Grandma I love her."

I felt a mask on my face once more. After a moment of trying to fight it I stopped and drifted off to sleep. The last sound I heard was the door opening again.
This story archived at http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=4017