Moonlight & Roses by Allyson Diana
Summary:

Jarod finds his family, while Miss Parker must face her past and together, with the help of the rescued Centre Children, they look for a future...without the Centre;

Note: This story takes place prior to Season Three.(That's when I wrote it!)


Categories: Indefinite Timeline Characters: Angelo, Brigitte, Broots, Jarod, Jarod's Family, Lyle, Miss Parker, Mr Parker, Mr Raines, Original Character, Sydney
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, General, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 36261 Read: 14150 Published: 15/06/05 Updated: 24/07/08

1. Moonlight & Roses by Allyson Diana

2. Chapter 2 by Allyson Diana

3. Chapter 3 by Allyson Diana

4. Chapter 4 by Allyson Diana

Moonlight & Roses by Allyson Diana
Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT
and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



Moonlight & Roses
Allyson Diana



Part One:


"No," was all he had said about a dozen times to the girl standing across from him.

"It will be easy, come on. We kill him and then we both get what we want," she spoke in a low voice intended for seduction. Unfortunately it came across raspy and barely audible.

"Look, Candie. I didn't come here tonight to talk about your husband," the man said in a little too perfect Brooklyn accent. "Frankie wants his money and I'm here to get it."

"That's what I'm telling you, sexy. I ain't got Frankie's money. Ricky split and took it with him. So if we find Ricky, Frankie will get his money." She swayed back and forth making him feel seasick.

"If I tell Frankie, Ricky's gone then he'll go after him for you," the man said looking straight in her eyes. He needed to be persuasive as possible with her. She had to take the bait.. He all ready knew what she had done and what she was about to use him for.

"Darling, it's not like that. How long have you been in this business?" She said quickly and then let out a laugh. "Hey listen Jarod, that's your name right?" Jarod nodded and she moved a step closer to him. "Jarod, honey, Ricky was a loser as a husband, believe me. I wouldn't say he was all that great in the human being arena either. He was a big, dumb lug who looked good at the time. So I made a mistake and now he's taken off with all the money and he left my ass in a sling. Understand? Huh, Jarod?" She moved in even closer to Jarod and this time, he got drenched in her combination of cheap perfume and alcohol. He grimaced at the smell. "I can tell you're a smart man, much smarter than Ricky ever was. So all we have to do is find Ricky and get the money back. Pretty easy, right?"

"Sure, pretty easy." Jarod said, taking a step back from her. "All right, Candie, I'll help you," Jarod said in a low tone, making Candie go weak in the knees. Jarod knew he didn't know much when dealing with women, but he could 'pretend' his way through any situation. And for now, it was working. "Take me to where Ricky is. I assume you know, don't you?" Candie smiled.

"I knew you were smarter than the others," Candie looked at him in a way that would normally make Jarod uncomfortable, but during a 'pretend' nothing really bothered him. He looked at Candie who continued to talk about Ricky and where he might be. Jarod no longer was amazed at people's trust in him. ' Of course, he could hear Sydney say, 'that is what being a Pretender is all about.' Looking at Candie now, Jarod realized if his plan worked she would be in a jail cell in less than an hour. Locked up for the murder of her current husband and three others who were missing for six years. Missing until he had come along. It had been a dangerous 'Pretend' from the beginning. Going undercover in the FBI or DEA was one thing, doing a pretend in a gang was something very different. No way out, he had thought when he first met Frankie and the gang. But Jarod also met Frankie's little sister, Mary, a sweet if not a little street smart, 6 year old who was born into this way of life and all ready developed horrible nightmares about the 'bad guys'. Mary had seen Ricky's death by accident and Candie had all ready threatened her. Jarod knew he had to try and stop this murderer before she could get close to Mary and silence her like she did to Ricky. The true purpose he had come into this 'pretend' was washed away by Mary who reminded Jarod too much of another little girl he couldn't save. Parker what happened to us? He thought to himself like he had thought so many times and once he even expressed the same thoughts to her. She had no more an answer than he did.

"So, let's go Jarod," Candie said bringing Jarod back to the present. "It's getting late."

"Yea, whatever you say." He answered her in his perfect accent. He could tell he was a little distant from her, but he knew she couldn't tell the difference. Not many people could, Jarod thought. Sydney and maybe, Parker, but she's so preoccupied with his capture, her mother's killer and her father's deceptions he would be surprised if she ever had time to think about him or what they used to be to each other.

Suddenly the door of the low lit bar opened and daylight streamed in. It blinded Jarod and Candie for a moment. Then Jarod saw the black suits, the guns and he saw them moving toward him. He reacted, reached for his gun, but before he felt it in his hand the world went black.

* * * *

Centre
Two hours later


"Where is he?" Parker hissed at Mr. Lyle as she walked down the hallway toward him.

"Caught, tied and down for the count, sis," Mr. Lyle answered, smiling. "Sorry I couldn't take you with me. I know how much it meant to you to catch him yourself, but I figured I had my shot and, well it worked, didn't it?" Mr. Lyle stepped away from the door and let Parker see into Jarod's cell.

Now she was glad she didn't call Sydney and get him in here on Sunday. She knew she would have to call him soon enough and looking at Jarod and what Lyle and his people did to him. She was hoping she could hold off Sydney for at least a day.

"Looks like the freak's come home," Lyle said and let out a laugh. "He looks good in chains."

Parker turned on Lyle with cold look and before Lyle knew what happened her fist contacted with his jaw.

"You son of a bitch. What the hell did your people do to him?" Parker looked at Lyle. "Do you have any idea what Sydney will do when he sees Jarod like this?"

"It was necessary to secure him for transport." Mr. Lyle looked at her, rubbing his jaw. "You should really keep those emotions in check, Parker. Someone could get the wrong impression about you and Jarod."

"I'll give you an impression, Lyle," she said shooting him cold eyes. She knew she was showing feelings toward Jarod, but she didn't answer to Lyle. Parker looked over at Jarod again. He was sitting in a chair, one they had brought in to keep him restrained completely from his head to his feet. Straps covered most of his body, he looked like a prisoner or worse, a Circus freak locked in a cage not the Centre's prize possession she remembered so much when she was young. She looked at his face and could see blood trickling down from a cut in his forehead under the strap, but what caught her attention the most was his eyes. They were staring out toward the door the only way his head could face and they were cold and blank. A cold, icy stare peered back at her and she shivered for a moment before turning away.

"I'm going to call for medical attention," Parker said coldly at Lyle. She turned and Lyle sharply caught her arm.

"Parker, he's dangerous. No one goes in until the Centre decides what to do with him."

"What do you mean?"

"It's obvious they can't leave him like this," Lyle's tone was casual, too casual for Parker. She knew exactly what he was talking about.

"They're going to take his memories of the past three years," she said knowingly and turning her head away so Lyle wouldn't see the disgust on her face.

"He has too much knowledge of the world now. If he's going to be any use, they have to make him forget the life he had for the last three years," Lyle turned to the room and smiled.

Parker felt sickened by how completely unemotional Lyle really was. She felt her skin crawl and she started to step away from this monster.

"I'm getting medical help or I'm calling Sydney. It's your choice, Lyle." She stepped closer to him.

"No one is going in." Lyle said with an air of confidence that forced Parker to clench a fist. She wanted to hit him again, but she restrained himself from that urge for the moment.

Parker looked straight in Lyle's eyes. "News flash, Lyle. If Sydney sees what your goons did to Jarod, I think you'd rather see the Centre doctors, than a psycho Freudian. Sydney is capable of killing you for what you did to his prize pupil. Which psychotic would you like to deal with...the one behind the glass or the one out here."

They stared each other down for a moment, then Lyle smiled and nodded. "Of course, Miss Parker. I'll get the doctor. You can keep an eye on our guest. Although I doubt he will be leaving before, let's just say..." Lyle smiled at her. "forever."

Parker watched him with eyes of a hunter waiting to pounce on its prey. She looked through the glass again and memories flooded her. Memories of her childhood, memories of her mother and memories of her and Jarod. She remembered all too well this feeling, watching Jarod through the glass. She knew she should be pleased that the searching was finally over and Jarod was brought back. It will make Raines and her father happy. It should make Sydney happy as well. He always said Jarod was in danger out of the Centre. Now everyone could monitor him -around the clock, she thought. Just like they do to her everyday. She looked away from the door.

Christ, Parker, get a grip, she said to herself. She couldn't believe how much like Jarod she sounded. If he had the chance to speak with her she knew that what he would say. Her mind went back to a moment more than a year ago when someone else asked her to think about Jarod.

"Miss Parker, you didn't answer my question," Brigitte said, still sucking on the lollipop in her mouth. "Do you have any unresolved feelings for Jarod?"

Parker hadn't answered that question anymore than she answered the hundreds of questions Jarod posed to her on a daily basis.

"What ever happened to us, Miss Parker?"

"What happens to us after we find what we're looking for?"

"That is the question," she had answered at the time.

Her mind raced from angry moments to tenderness to gratitude she expressed far too often to him, she thought, for helping her with the mysteries of her past. Parker looked back at Jarod and for a moment she knew he was looking at her. She felt a wave of sympathy wash over her. She moved closer and put her hand on the handle of the door. Through his bloodied face and cold eyes, she thought she saw a tear trickling down his cheek. Without thinking, she punched in the code and the door unlocked. This time, Jarod turned his head the best he could and looked at her.

"Doc's here, sis," Lyle said catching her arm. A Centre doctor dressed in a white lab coat stood beside him. "Did Jarod break free from a restraint?" Lyle looked at her and then to Jarod, who remained focused back on the door. Parker knew he had been watching her.

"I don't need to explain my motives to you. No one distrusts my loyalty," she said, coldly and walked down the hallway and away from Lyle and Jarod.

"Your loyalty to the Centre, Miss Parker or to Jarod," Lyle said under his breath. He looked over at the doctor standing next to him. "Go check on our lab rat. See if he's comfortable," Lyle said, smiling at the doctor. "If he gives you any trouble sedate him."

"Yes, Mr. Lyle." The doctor walked into the room. Jarod continued his death stare looking in front of him only. Lyle walked in behind the doctor, circling Jarod until he leaned down and spoke quietly in Jarod's ear.

"Home again, Jarod. Maybe I'll continue my tests on you. I think today's a good day to die, don't you Jarod?" Lyle smiled and waited for his reaction, but Jarod stay focused on the door ahead of him and didn't move a muscle. Lyle smiled again at him and leaned down again. "I know you can hear me." No reaction. "You want to play games, Jarod. Believe me, I've got lots of games to play." No reaction. "Sedate him!" Lyle said in frustration to the doctor. The doctor looked at him in confusion.

"He hasn't been uncooperative, Mr. Lyle." The doctor said.

"I don't care sedate him, before I do." Lyle stared down the doctor. Finally, the doctor took out a needle and did as Lyle said. Lyle watched as Jarod's eyes closed, giving up their fight against the sleeping drug.

"Good job, Lyle. I knew the both of you could bring Jarod in," Mr. Parker said walking into the room. "So, where is your sister? I wanted to congratulate her as well."

"We need to talk," Lyle said looking at his father. Mr. Parker nodded and they walked out of the room with the doctor.

"Not here. In your office," Lyle took the lead down the corridor to Mr. Parker's office. Once they were inside, Lyle closed and locked the doors.

"What is this about, Lyle?" Mr. Parker finally said looking over at his son.

"My sister."

Mr. Parker looked at him again and sat down on the edge of the desk. "What about her?"

"She may be a problem. You have to tell me about her relationship with Jarod," Lyle stood next to his father and put a comforting hand on his shoulder. "I need to know exactly what I'm up against."

"There isn't any relationship. It doesn't matter what happened when they were children. They're not children anymore, Lyle and I intend on making certain I don't allow the same mistakes to be made this time." He looked into the distance as if thinking about that time. "Your mother was too sympathetic toward those children, I always told her not to get involved," he laughed quickly, "but she never listened, just like you and your sister never listen to reason. Catherine said it would be good for your sister to have a friend and Jarod was close to her age and they seemed...." He drifted off for a moment.

"What happened?" Lyle asked.

"I ended it. They were becoming a problem," Lyle watched his father relive a painful memory. Lyle moved to a DSA machine on the table and pulled out a disk of young Jarod and young Miss Parker when she gave him a kiss. Mr. Parker watched and Lyle could see the rage visible in his face. "He was a problem." Mr. Parker walked away from the video screen.

"Did they stay away from each other? Are you certain those feelings have died?"

"She was a little girl with no friends and no mother. She sought comfort from somewhere. Jarod provided that and that's all. It was many years ago, Lyle. Why are you bringing all this up?" Mr. Parker looked at Lyle and he could see the memories of the past were gone and he was very much in the present.

"I think my sister still has feelings for him?"

"Based on what?" Mr. Parker laughed.

"She hit me the moment after she saw Jarod in the room." Lyle said, indicating where she had hit him.

Mr. Parker laughed. "And you think that merits her having feelings for him? Lyle, your sister is very emotional at times. She's like her mother that way and she didn't like the way you brought Jarod in. That's all."

"I think she's a problem. Jarod's got a plan, I'm sure of it. He looks like a vegetable but he's very aware of what's going on around him. He'll use her." Lyle stood next to his father, looking at him, trying to convince him it's right.

"Your sister will be fine, she knows how to take care of herself. Besides, she can be useful to us yet. Keep her on your side for now." Mr. Parker smiled and Lyle nodded. "Bring Raines in for the treatment. We should get started on Jarod's memory wipe."

"He's with Jarod as we speak," Mr. Lyle said, smiling at his father. "He will start the first treatment tomorrow."

"Good," Mr. Parker put a hand on Lyle's shoulder, "good job, son."

* * * *

Miss Parker's Office

Parker sat down and took the glass from the table, taking a long sip of the alcohol inside. She tried to imagine life now without the pursuit of Jarod, without the Centre. After all, she could leave now, couldn't she? She put down the glass and feeling a little better decided it was for the best. She would tell her father it was over. She fulfilled her part of the bargain and now she could leave the Centre once and for all.

"Hey, Miss Parker," she heard Broots call as he came down the corridor.

"What no cartoons on Sunday?" Parker said, not really meaning to be rude to him. She just needed to lash out at somebody and unfortunately, he had become a good target due to the fact he never lashes back. He looked at her and Parker knew he knew. She could just tell from the look in his eyes.

"Have you seen him?" He looked down quickly. "Of course, you have. You must have brought him in." He started rambling. Parker could feel her temperature rise and she looked straight into Broots' eyes.

"I didn't do that to Jarod," she said with such conviction Broots backed away from her, "The boogey man did."

"Lyle?" Broots said part in fear and part in disbelief.

"Who else," she answered back at him. She took a quick look around cautiously and then pulled Broots into her office.

"What?" He said as Parker closed the doors.

"No one tells Sydney, not yet." She said, looking intensely at him.

"Don't you think he'll find out?" Broots said carefully.

"I need time," she answered walking away from him to her desk.

"Time for what?" Broots said in a confused tone.

"I'm leaving." Parker turned back to Broots and looked at him. "You should too."

Broots couldn't believe his ears, Miss Parker was actually going to leave the Centre.

"Why?" He thought to himself, unfortunately he said it out loud.

"That was the deal." Parker said, in her professional tone and Broots knew that was the only answer he was getting.

"Aren't you going to tell Sydney?"

Parker looked at him and Broots knew that meant no she wasn't going to tell Sydney. If he hadn't have been at the Centre today, he doubted she would have told him.

"What about your father?"

"He's my problem, Broots." Parker turned toward the door, opening it, before she stepped out, she turned back to him. "Thanks Broots...for everything. Do Debbie a favor, get out of here. Take her somewhere, anywhere away from the Centre. My mother never got that chance." She pondered on her last statement and then she left.

Broots stood there not really knowing what to do. His first impulse was to call Sydney. He knew he couldn't.

* * * *


Jarod woke up slowly from the sedate and ached all over. The doctor had bandaged his head, he assumed while he was asleep, but it didn't stop the headache which pounded inside. All the bandages in the world wouldn't help this feeling in the pit of my stomach...Jarod thought. It was complete hatred of the Centre and, especially Lyle. Jarod knew he was leaving, he just wasn't sure anymore who he was going to have to kill or use to get out. He knew they were going to try and take away his memories of freedom. They would try and leave him with nothing. They would try...he thought. And they will fail, he said to himself. They will fail.

"We'll start tomorrow," Jarod heard Raines behind him. "It won't take long once the serum hits his brain."

"Can we be certain the treatment won't affect other parts of his brain?" He heard Mr. Parker ask.

"Bring Sydney in. We need to know what he knows before we do the procedure. Once it's done, there is no reversing it," Raines said through his breathing tube attached to the oxygen tank on his wheelchair.

"I'm not certain Sydney will agree to this..right away," Mr Parker argued.

"Sydney belongs to the Centre. He will agree it is best for Jarod," Jarod heard disgust in Raines's voice when he spoke his name.

Both of the men came in front of Jarod and stared at him for a moment.

"He'll have to talk eventually," Raines said looking into Jarod's eyes. He keep them focused forward.

"He's damn stubborn," Mr. Parker said, staring at him like he was an animal to look at the local zoo.

Jarod looked sharply at Mr. Parker. His face showed his surprise and he stepped back.

"Yes I am, Mr. Parker," Jarod's tone was cold and unfeeling. "I'm not your lab rat. I will not be your puppet."

Raines pulled his wheelchair closer to Jarod.

"You will be anything we want you to be," Raines spat at him. "The Centre owns you. There is no escape this time, Jarod."

"You can't keep me locked up, you tried once, you failed." Jarod's tone turned to angry and then sarcasm.

"I won't fail, Jarod," Lyle said entering the room. "I knew you'd wake up with just the right kind of persuasion, my friend."

"I am not your friend," Jarod yelled back at Lyle.

"Well we'll just see how much you might need me as a friend, Jarod," Lyle circled him until he stood behind him. "We'll just see."

Miss Parker walked down the empty corridor toward Jarod's 'cell'. She figured this was where she would find him when he wasn't in his office. She could see the door ahead of her. She stopped in front of it and looked into the room. She could see Lyle, her father and Raines looking at Jarod. Jarod looks like a god-damn freak show, she thought to herself. Another wave of sympathy toward Jarod washed over her. She closed her eyes and tried to prepare herself for facing him, but all the courage she possessed couldn't get her to push that handle. I'd have to be crazy to face him, she said to herself. Just don't think, Parker, just leave. She told herself as she walked away from the door and thoughts of Jarod. Parker reached into her coat pocket and did the one thing she knew needed no courage, she called her father on the cell phone.

"Daddy," Parker said into the phone. "We need to talk. In your office." She waited for his answer and hung up the phone. She walked back down the corridor and waited for him to exit the cell. A few minutes later, he emerged with Raines following behind. When they approached her, she looked at Raines.

"I need to speak with you alone, Daddy." She said, staying focused on Raines.

"Lyle will bring in Sydney," Raines said turning to her father. "By tomorrow, we'll have Jarod where we want him." He breathed in on his air.

"And where would that be?" Parker said coldly at him. She knew she shouldn't start this now. It was too dangerous, but the feelings of guilt had never overtaken like they were at this moment. "A vegetable in one of your freakish labs, Frankenstein."

Raines breathed in again and stared at him for a moment. She met his stare, challenging him. "Your job is done here, Miss Parker."

"And that's why I want to talk to my father." She turned to Mr. Parker, "I'm leaving today."

"Angel, don't get carried away."

"She's done with her job and she's free to leave," Raines said, smiling slightly at Miss Parker. She felt a chill go down her spine and got an uneasy feeling in the pit of her stomach from his words. Raines passed her in the wheelchair and continued down the hall. Parker watched him as he turned the corner out of sight.

"Angel, you know you can't leave," Mr. Parker started. She turned back to face him. "Your work isn't done here."

"Jarod is back and I'm leaving, Daddy," she said with conviction her father knew all too well. "There is nothing else for me here."

"I understand. I do, but now isn't a good time to discuss this. I will need you to help with Sydney. Jarod learned a lot about the Centre while he was out there. We need to know what he learned and who he told that information to." Mr. Parker smiled at her and placed a hand on her shoulder. "I need you, angel."

Miss Parker looked away from his eyes. I can't stay she wanted to scream at him. I can't stay, Daddy and watch you destroy Jarod. I can't....I can't... She snapped herself back to the conversation and to his eyes.

"Daddy, please I need to leave. We had a deal." She looked at him, pleading in her eyes.

"Angel, you know how important this information could be to the Centre and I know how persuasion you can be with Jarod. You've always come through when the Centre needs you. We need you now. You have to help Sydney see it is in the Centre's best interests to find out what Jarod knows." Mr. Parker smiled reassuringly at his daughter and walked down the corridor and away from her last hope of freedom from the Centre. She looked down and shook her head and slightly laughing to herself. The irony was unbelievable, she thought as she headed back to the dreaded cell. She looked through the glass again this time with anger. Everything is always about you, isn't it Jarod? She said to herself. And to think once I actually cared...she stopped her thoughts realizing the sight still appalled her regardless of how controlled her life was because of him. She tried to hide behind her defensives she used so well, but nothing could wash away the sight before her and how helpless he looked mirroring her own feelings of helplessness against the Centre. She laughed again to herself. It was truly ironic.

"So Mr. Lyle, you think you can just take away my memories and I'll be your puppet," Jarod said staring at Lyle as Parker walked in. He looked quickly to her and then focused back on Lyle. "You'll have to take all my memories to make me play your games." His tone was threatening and dangerous. Lyle heard it and Parker heard it. It didn't make either of them very comfortable.

"What do you think, Miss Parker?" Lyle said, turning around slowly to her. She looked at him and walked closer. Every step was becoming harder for her. She took a deep breath and approached him heading her right into the Lion's Den. She avoided Jarod's eyes.

"I think you should find another play toy, Lyle. One that doesn't talk back to you." Lyle looked at her with a deadly stare. She closed in on him, "didn't get enough love as a child?" She stared at him. She wanted a fight, it would make her feel better right now.

"I called Sydney, he's on his way. Now it's your turn to play, Miss Parker?" He smiled, looked at Jarod and back to Parker. "After all, the Centre needs your loyalty...and trust now." Lyle smiled again at her, she smiled sarcastically back at him as he walked out.

Parker stayed focused on the door, not wanting to turn around to the prisoner behind her.

"Your father disappointed you again, Miss Parker." Jarod said. She didn't turn around. "How much can you take?" She spun around to face him with fire in her eyes.

"More than you, Jarod." She turned to the door and started to walk out.

"It must be a very lonely place," Jarod stared at her.

She reached for the handle and looked back at him.

"Where would that be?" She said coldly.

"In your heart," was all he said. They stared at each other and for a moment, Jarod saw Parker's eyes turn from rage to sorrow. He almost regretted what he said.

"Go to hell, Jarod." She pulled open the door, walked out and shut it behind her quickly. She leaned to the side of the door against the cold wall.

"I'm all ready in it," they both said to themselves.

"Sad...Jarod..." Angelo said hiding in the ventilation system above Jarod.

Jarod looked up and fought the impulse to look excited about seeing Angelo. He knew the cameras were watching. They were always watching.

"Sad...Amanda...sad," Angelo continued.

"Amanda?" Jarod was shocked to hear Angelo call Miss Parker by her first name.

"Sad...Angelo...sad...Jarod friend...Amanda friend...gone." Angelo stayed for a moment looking at Jarod. "Bad..." Jarod heard him move away from the room.

"Amanda," Jarod said, deep in thought.

* * * *

The Centre
1971

"Come on, Jarod, it'll be fun," young Miss Parker said as she looked up at Angelo in the ventilation system above them. "There's never anything fun to do here."

"Fun...Jarod... Amanda... Angelo...fun," Angelo repeated this phrase again and again until Jarod helped Miss Parker into the duct and followed behind her.

"Sydney going to kill me if he finds out," Jarod said cautiously looking back at his room and security.

Miss Parker turned to him in the small space and looked him dead in the eyes. "Then don't tell him." She said, smiling.

"He always finds out." Jarod answered, sadly. "He knows everything."

"Not everything," Miss Parker said, smiling back at him. "No one can know everything Jarod."

"Come...quickly." Angelo said ahead of them. They smiled at each other and followed Angelo through a series of vents until they came upon Mr. Parker's office. Jarod and Miss Parker stopped quickly as they heard his voice.

"I'm sending Amanda away," Mr. Parker said to Raines. "This is a bad environment for her."

Miss Parker and Jarod looked at each other, quickly. Angelo moved ahead of them, assuming they were behind him.

"Do what you want," Raines said, smoking a cigarette as he turned to leave the office.

"It is for the best." Mr. Parker said.

"Of course." Raines smiled at him and walked out.

Jarod and Miss Parker watched her father sit down and pick up a picture of her and her mother from his desk. He looked up toward the vent. Very cautiously Jarod and Miss Parker started moving away from the office and towards Angelo.

"You're going away?" Jarod had said when they were at a safe distance from Mr. Parker.

"I'm sure it's not for long," she had answered.

"I don't want you to leave," Jarod said stopping her. She turned to face him. "You are my friend, Amanda."

"We'll always be friends, Jarod. That doesn't change just because I have to go away for awhile," she said smiling. She reached over and touched his hand. "My mother always said friends are forever."

* * * *

The Centre
Present day


Jarod didn't know how long he had been thinking of his past when he heard the door beep open.

"Oh my god, what have you done to him?" Sydney turned on Miss Parker and Mr. Lyle as they walked in behind him.

"Don't look at me Syd, it was the prodigal son here who left the marks." She turned toward Lyle, looking at him. "Wasn't it?"

"Jarod," Sydney started. Jarod stood transfixed on the door. "Jarod, it's Sydney." Sydney said in a soothing tone. Lyle walked up to Jarod.

"He can hear you, he's playing a game." Lyle looked at Jarod. "Snap out of it, Jarod or we'll give you something to help you snap out of it." He was visibly angry at Jarod.

Jarod stayed transfixed on the door. Parker kept her eyes on Jarod's as they bore into her. She was frozen in that space, she knew she should move away from those eyes, but she couldn't seem to get her feet to obey.

"Come on Jarod, Sydney's here to talk to you," Lyle said trying to be soothing, but it came across as a threat. "Jarod...damn it Jarod." He pulled on Jarod's shirt and pulled his head toward him. "Look at me." Jarod stayed fixed on a point behind his head. He let go of his shirt, turned away and quickly punched him hard. He was aiming for his jaw but hit his cheek instead with his ring. Blood trickled down Jarod's face.

"You son of a bitch," Miss Parker reacted first, pulling Lyle away from Jarod. "Get out," she screamed.

"Testy this morning." He said looking at her, smiling.

"So help me god, Lyle, I'm going to wipe that smug smile off your face." Parker stared him down.

"I'm getting worried about you, sis," Lyle started. "You're getting too emotional in this situation. Would you like me to ask Dad to relieve you of your duties?" He smiled again.

Parker smiled back and clenched her fist bringing it up to punch Lyle again. He caught it quickly in his hand. Within a matter of seconds, her other fist came crashing down on him. He held her by the shoulders and looked at her with cold eyes.

"Don't ever hit me again," he said threatening her. She tried to pull away from his grip, but he tightened it. "Ever!" Sydney started to move towards them.

"Stop it!" Jarod yelled. They all looked at him. Lyle laughed and let go of Miss Parker.

"Guess he can talk when he wants to, huh Syd? Well, see what the two of you can do. I have other matters to attend to. Remember the Centre wants answers." He looked from Sydney to Parker. "And they expect them today." He opened the door and walked out.

"That psycho ought to be locked up in his own cell," Parker said under her breath. "He's a walking menace to society."

"Jarod, you know what they want to do." Sydney said looking at him.

"I've heard they want my memories of the last three years gone, so I can't remember what freedom was like," Jarod said coldly looking at Sydney. "You're here to help me understand why."

"They don't think you'll cooperate without the memory wipe." Sydney said checking the wound on Jarod's head.

"What do you think, Sydney?" Jarod's tone was cold. Sydney knew what he was up against when he got the phone call.

"I think it's over, Jarod. You're back safe." Sydney looked at him. He turned away, looking over at Parker and fighting the urge to cry. He knew the tears were welling up all ready. So, he started to laugh instead. A laugh that caught the attention of Parker and Sydney. She looked over at Sydney.

"Jarod..." Sydney started. Jarod just laughed harder, staring at Sydney with a psychotic look in his eyes. Sydney attempted to talk to him again, but he kept laughing getting louder.

"Itsy bitsy spider went up the water spout," Jarod began turning his head back and forth as much as he could from Sydney to Parker. "Down came the rain and washed the spider out. Out came the sun and dried up all the rain and the itsy bitsy spider went up the spout again." Jarod laughed again right at Parker, she looked at him. Then quickly held his shoulder down and stared into his eyes. He keep laughing, softer now.

"Cut the crap, Jarod. This isn't a game. This isn't a pretend." She looked at him, strangely. She had never seen him like this and she wasn't sure she could take anymore.

He stared at her stopped laughing as his expression changed to dead serious. "No, it's my life Amanda." Parker backed up and looked at him for a moment before walking out of the room. Jarod started after her.

"Jarod, you have to help us."

Jarod smiled slowly and looked at him. "Itsy bitsy spider went up the water spout.." he continued to sing as Sydney walked out, shaking his head.

"So, Syd you're going to just let them take Jarod's memory. No questions asked. Just do what you're told, right? That's the way it works," Miss Parker shook her head. "Unbelievable. Well, I got to hand it to you." She started to walk away from him. "You know, Syd," she turned back to him, "I actually thought all that psycho babble about Jarod being a danger to himself out there was a load of crap to keep him safe." She smiled and shook her head again. "Raines uses him for his mind, my father uses him for money, Lyle uses him for power, hell even I used him for my freedom, but you really are his worst nightmare, aren't you Syd? You used him to save your own ass." Miss Parker moved closer to him. "I hope it's worth it, Syd when you watch them drain away his memories." She turned away from him. "I need a cigarette."

"Parker, you know me better than that. I'm trying to help Jarod. I can't abandon him now," Sydney continued. Parker let out a slight laugh and looked at him. "Jarod needs me...and you. He's in a very dark place. He has taken on the part of a captured animal filled with rage and contempt."

"No shit, Sherlock. That's what he is." Parker looked back to the glass and caught Jarod's eyes. They started at her with an intensity that pulled at her heart. She looked back at Sydney, "you're going to kill him with your damned analysis." Parker stared at him for a moment longer, fought the tears in her eyes and the wall she used so well came crashing down between her and Sydney for the first time. "It doesn't matter. You can't do anything, the Centre knows everything, Sydney. Everything," she whispered to him. "And that person you raised in there is a captured animal waiting to pounce on his captors. I'm not about to become one of them. Not this time." She turned away from Sydney and walked back to her office. She really needed a cigarette.

Sydney watched her before walking the opposite way down the corridor.

* * * *

"Sydney, oh my god, what the hell is happening around here?" Broots said running up to him. "Parker's out for blood. And Raines and Lyle aren't too far behind." Broots looked quickly back and forth down the corridors. "Sydney, what is going on with Jarod?"

"They want us to find out what he knows before they do the memory wipe." Sydney looked at Broots.

"What do you mean us?" Broots said nervously.

"I want you to find Angelo, Broots. Don't let anyone see you." Sydney started to walk away.

"Syd," Broots said in a loud whisper. Sydney turned to him. "What do I do when I find him?"

"Just find him." Sydney said and walked away.

"Sure, just find him and do what...I'm going to get killed." Broots said, walking away.

* * * *

Parker's Apartment
Delaware


Parker walked into her apartment and threw the keys down on the table. She walked to her liquor cabinet, pulled out a bottle of whiskey, turned over one of the glasses from the top of the cabinet and sat down on the couch. She put the glass and the bottle in front of her. She looked at them for a long time...debating with herself about how drunk she should get.

"What the hell, everyone else has gone crazy. What's one more?" She said out loud and poured her first glass. She gulped the drink down and poured another one. After three more glasses, she reached over and picked up a picture of her mother. "Mom why did you have to leave? Why?" She didn't realize what she had done until the picture broke and laid on the floor. "Damn it." She said to herself and picked it up. "Ouch. Great!." She said exasperated. She looked at her bleeding finger. "Figures." She said walking to the kitchen and wrapping her finger in a small towel. She looked down at the bloodied towel, thinking.

* * * *

The Centre
1971

"Jarod, do you ever think about dying?" Young Miss Parker looked at her friend waiting for his answer. He was working on another puzzle Sydney had given him, involving two mirrors and a flashlight. She had taken the flashlight and was flashing it at the mirrors off and on creating a strobe light effect in the room.

"Dying? Miss Parker did you talk to your father yet?" Jarod asked, watching the light reflecting off the mirrors.

"He's too busy." She said, defeated. "Besides he always says she was sick and..."

"What do you think? She was your mother." Jarod asked, taking the flashlight from her hand and turning it off.

"I don't know, Jarod. She killed herself. She was sick." Miss Parker stood up and walked away. She saw a mirror in the back of the room that was shattered. She went over to it. "What happened to this mirror?" She asked, picking it up. "Ouch," she dropped it. Jarod got up and walked to her, taking her hand that was bleeding.

"Are you all right?" He said looking at her and then back to her hand.

"Why would you keep a broken mirror, Jarod?"

"To see myself." He finally said. She looked at him, confused. "I asked Sydney for a mirror to look at myself and find out who I am. It didn't help, I broke it. Now I have all these pieces. Someday I'm going to put these pieces together and then I'll know who I really am." Jarod had wrapped her hand with a rag that was lying on the table while he talked. "All better," he said smiling at her.

"Thanks, Jarod." She said and smiled back. "My father wants me to go to dinner with him tonight. Maybe I'll talk to him then."

"Good luck," Jarod said as she walked out.

She closed the door and touched her hand to the glass like she had done so many times before. Jarod brought up his hand on the other side. They stayed like that for a moment, then she turned and ran down the hall.

* * * *

Present

Parker didn't realize she was crying until the phone rang. She walked into the living room and picked up the receiver.

"What?" She said, trying to regain her composure.

"We need to talk," Lyle said on the other end. "I don't want to seem like I'm prying, but I think you should tell me about what happened today. It wasn't like you." Parker thought about telling him where to go in no uncertain terms or to justify her position or to just tell him off, but none of those ideas would have helped at this point and she knew it. So she opted for another way of dealing with Lyle.

"Bye, Lyle," she said and hung up the phone. "Asshole," she said to herself, picked up the bottle and the glass and started on her fourth drink for the night.

* * * *

The Centre
Next Afternoon


Jarod opened his eyes and blinked to come into focus. He could hear voices but he couldn't make them out. Slowly his senses returned.

"It's done, now Jarod will continue his work here," Raines said. "I want to test it first."

"Are you doubting your own serum, Mr. Raines?" Sydney said over Jarod.

"Sydney..." Jarod said weakly. "Sydney, where am I?"

"You're at the Centre, Jarod...where you always been." Sydney looked at Raines.

"What do you remember?" Raines hissed at Jarod. "Tell us."

"I remember a simulation I was working on for a client." Jarod said, starting to sit up, he realized his hands and legs were strapped to the table.

"What simulation, Jarod?" Sydney asked.

"To create an anti-virus." Sydney and Raines exchanged a look.

"All set, Sydney. It's your time to continue your teachings," Raines looked at Sydney, turned his chair around and started to wheel out.

"Dr. Raines," Jarod said.

"Yes, Jarod." He turned back to him.

"What happened?" He said looking at the wheelchair. "Did you have an accident?"

Raines looked at Sydney then back to Jarod. "Yes, Jarod, an unfortunate one." He opened the door and wheeled out.

"How are you feeling Jarod?" Sydney asked.

"Fine. Why am I strapped down? Are we in the middle of a sim?" Jarod asked.

"Yes, Jarod. Let me take those straps off." Sydney started to remove the straps on his arms.

"I don't think so, Sydney. Not yet. Some of us are not satisfied." Lyle said, walking in.

"Who are you?" Jarod asked Mr. Lyle.

"Mr. Lyle worked with Dr. Raines." Sydney said to Jarod.

"I'm here to help you, Jarod...with the sim." Lyle sat next to the bed in a chair. "What do you say?"

"Sydney..." Jarod looked at Sydney.

"It's all right, Jarod. Mr. Lyle is here to help you."

"Like hell he is," Parker said walking in. "You just couldn't wait, could you?" She looked around the room and realized they had made the room look exactly the way it used to when Jarod 'lived' here. A wave of nausea passed over her creating a horrible combination to her hangover.

"Miss Parker how nice of you to show up today. Have a rough night?" Lyle said standing up. "I think we should talk outside. Jarod is busy."

"I'll bet he is," Parker said looking at Sydney.

"Miss Parker..." Jarod said, trying to look up at her.

"Why are you strapped down Jarod? A little sim with Syd here." She walked past Lyle to Jarod.

"Yes. Sydney can I stand up now?" Jarod said looking at Sydney. Sydney looked over at Lyle. Lyle nodded his head at him.

"Awful nice of you, Lyle," Parker said, helping Sydney with the straps.

"I haven't seen you in a while, Miss Parker," Jarod said as he stood up.

"Yea, well I'm been busy." She answered, trying not to show any emotion.

"I know." Everyone looked at Jarod. He smiled. "You always say that, Miss Parker."

"Parker let's talk outside." Lyle said, taking her arm.

"Back off, Lyle." She said, looking at him with a determined expression.

"You two know each other?" Jarod asked. Parker shook her head, she knew this would be hard.

"He's my brother, Jarod." Parker said, not looking at him.

"Um..I didn't know you had a brother, Miss Parker." Jarod said, looking from her to Lyle.

"Yea, me either until a while ago." Parker said turning away from Lyle. "It was a wonderful family reunion."

"You're upset," Jarod walked over to her. "Why?"

"All right, this is too weird. I'm leaving." She turned around and walked to the door. "Nice job, Syd."

"Parker," Lyle called after her and walked out the door.

"Well, Jarod. I think that's enough for today. Get some rest. We'll talk tomorrow."

"Yes, Sydney." Jarod said, moving to his table and started working on the origami sitting on top.

Sydney walked out of the door right into Parker and Lyle.

"You two can't confuse him like that," Sydney said looking at Lyle.

"Yea, Syd...you all ready confused him enough." Parker snapped at Sydney.

"He seems unharmed by it all," Lyle said, looking through the glass at Jarod. Parker pushed him aside at the glass and looked herself.

"Yea, he looks very unharmed," Parker said watching Jarod complete an origami from three years ago. She took a deep breath and turned back to Lyle and Sydney. "Of course you're going to have to explain three bruised ribs, a slight concussion and a few minor bumps and scraps on him. But then you're the god-damn genius's I'm sure you've got a story for that, too." She threw them both a disgusted look and walked away.

"Sydney I don't want her in there. She's a threat." Lyle said looking after her.

"To who? To you?" Sydney asked. "She's your sister. She asked to leave. Why don't you let her then she won't be a problem here." Sydney looked at Lyle.

"Not my decision." He answered and looked over at Jarod. "I'm posting a guard at the door I don't trust him...or her."

"His memory is gone. There is no reason for alarm." Sydney said, defensively. "He's been through enough."

"He escaped once, Sydney let's not forget that." Lyle smiled at him. "He could try it again if something doesn't go the way he wants it. That's what your job is. Don't make the same mistakes this time." Lyle walked away.

"Oh, I won't, Mr. Lyle," Sydney said.

* * * *

The Centre
Later that Night

Jarod walked around his room, pacing. His mind was racing and he needed to calm it. He started breathing in deep. Finally he sat down on the floor and tried to calm himself. Focus, Jarod. Focus. He told himself.

Jarod heard a bang on the door and then Parker entered.

"I think he'll be out for a while. Lyle's sweepers aren't that good," Parker said walking to him.

"How long have you known Lyle was your brother?" Jarod asked her.

"I just found out recently I had a brother. You helped me..." She drifted off. It all hit her at once. He didn't remember Finigore and the Red Files or.... "Jarod, you can't stay here."

"Why?"

"You know why, you've done enough, you've seen enough." She took his hands in hers, quickly. He looked down at their hands. She started to think about how to explain this to him. Think, Parker. She told herself. Jarod looked back at her. "You're scared of them, aren't you?" She started thinking back to that time with Jarod. She hadn't seen him much at that time, so this was going to make it harder to understand where he is.

"They are always watching," Jarod said looking at her and then turned toward the cameras. Parker pulled his face back she didn't have a lot of time, she had to make him understand.

"You need to get out, Jarod, from here. They took your memories. You all ready escaped once. You have to help me. I don't know how you did it. You have to remember, Jarod."

Parker looked at him with desperation.

"Why are you telling me this?" Jarod asked, taking his hands away. "You left me years ago. You don't care."

Parker walked to him and turned him back around. "Yes, I do. Friends forever, right?"

Jarod's face expressed astonishment at her.

"Listen to me Jarod. It's all in there somewhere. You have to think."

"What about the cameras?" Jarod said, looking at her.

"I've got it covered. Broots is scrambling the cameras, but I only have a few minutes. Now think!" She yelled at him. "All my life you've been the genius, the one everyone wanted to own. Use your gifts now. Save your life, Jarod." Parker was staring at him with an intensity that stopped Jarod's thinking.

"I know, Amanda. I don't want you to do this." Jarod looked at her with the intense look she had come to know well...since he had been out. Since he had been out, she thought. She looked at him in confusion.

"Jarod..."

"What?" He said, reverting his expression back to look at her with innocent eyes.

"Jarod, can you remember..." A loud alarm went off in the Centre and Parker and Jarod stared at each other.

The door code was heard and before Jarod knew what he was doing, he reacted. He pushed her against the wall behind her and kissed her.

"Well, well, well." Mr. Lyle said looking at the scene and then back at Sydney. "We found the lovebirds."

Jarod stopped the kiss and looked at Parker who instantly slapped him across the face.

"How dare you! Don't you ever touch me again!" She yelled and walked by Sydney. "Keep your lab rat away from me. If he wants to experiment again, have Frankenstein make him one of his own kind," she said to Sydney and walked out.

"Jarod..." Sydney started. Jarod walked away. "What happened?"

"She wanted information about her mother's death. I told her it was a suicide and she kept going on and on about things I didn't understand. She needs help, Sydney. She still hasn't reconciled with her mother's death after all these years." Jarod sat down. Lyle keep his eyes on Jarod watching his every move.

"So, Jarod what about the kiss? Did she do it?" Lyle asked, sarcastically.

"No, I did."

"Why Jarod?" Sydney walked up to him.

"She's...beautiful."

Lyle burst out laughing. "I can't argue with that, even if she is my sister." He looked over at Sydney. "Sydney I think you better have a talk with the boy. I have to go talk with my sister," Lyle shook his head and walked out.

"Jarod, what are you doing?" Sydney asked as he sat down next to him on the bed.

"Something I needed to do a long time ago." Jarod said in barely a whisper. Sydney looked at him for a long moment and then nodded his head.

"Be careful," Sydney said getting up and walking to the door. "Things have changed."

"Some things never change, Sydney." Jarod answered looking at him.

Sydney pondered on Jarod's thought for a moment then walked out the door.

"Some things stay exactly the same." Jarod smiled and laid back on the bed.

* * * *

Miss Parker's Office

"I have nothing to explain. Wonder boy has the answers in that head of his and I'm going to find them. Somehow he knew my mother's death wasn't a suicide and somehow he knew where to look for the answers." Parker was pacing the floor in front of Lyle. He intently watched her as she picked up a cigarette case on your desk, pulled out one and lit it.

"Thought you quit," he said walking up to her.

"Look, Lyle. My motives and motivations don't have anything to do with you. I wanted to leave, Daddy won't let me. You want me out of your little games, have Daddy change his mind. You're good at that." She looked at him and smiled. "Because if I have to stay here believe me, Lyle, I will be watching you."

"Is that a threat, sis?" He said with sarcasm dripping in his voice.

She looked at him in the eyes, "no, Lyle, it's a promise." She smiled and took a drag from the cigarette.

She started to tell him to get out when Sydney walked through the doors of the office.

"Good luck, Sydney, I think my sister needs a friend right now." Lyle turned to the door. "I would remember who your friends are, Miss Parker." He smiled at both of them and left.

"How could I forget?" She answered back to the closed door. She looked over at Sydney and smiled, putting her head down. "Unbelievable, Syd," was all she say and ushered him out of the office, down the hall and outside.

"Miss Parker, what are you doing?" Sydney finally asked when they were a few blocks away from the main building.

"There's a good question, Sydney. Let's see, I'm risking my ass for him, I think you're working with Lyle and his goons only to discover Broots and I risked both our lives to help Jarod who doesn't need our help, does he, Syd?" She stopped walking and looked at him.

"What are you talking about?"

"Don't play this game with me," she closed in on him for a moment and then backed up, laughing. "Tell me it's some sort of residue from the memory wipe. That Jarod can 'feel' certain emotions and use certain expressions from an experience he can't remember. Tell me that, Syd. I'd really like to hear that right about now." She walked to a bench a few yards away and sat down, turning away from him.

"Parker, you know I couldn't let them take away his memories, no more than you could." She looked up at him, sharply.

"What were you really doing in that room?" Sydney asked, sitting next to her. She turned to him.

"You first. How?"

"Angelo." Sydney said matter-of-factly.

" Of course," she closed her eyes for a moment. "Angelo always come to the rescue, doesn't he? While we all risk our lives, he just walks in and out of the Centre whenever he wants, helping Jarod every step of the way. I love it. It's a perfect disguise. Act like an idiot and no one will suspect you. Is that how it works?"

"Angelo obtained a vile of the serum to be used on Jarod. I just switched the two vials." Sydney said.

"And what did Frankenstein give Jarod?"

"Distilled water."

"Brillant plan, Syd. Except you've got one problem...I know." Miss Parker stood up. "I am not going down for him, Sydney."

"Parker, you said you wanted to help him. Is that why you were in the room?" Sydney stood up and looked at her. He knew she was putting up her walls again.

"I went to see him..." she stopped herself and looked away from Sydney. "It doesn't matter."

Sydney put a hand on her shoulder. "Yes, Parker it does matter...to Jarod."

She laughed, "Jarod. Everything is about him isn't it?" She walked past Sydney. "I must have been crazy to want to help him."

"Parker, you won't go to Lyle or your father with this," Sydney said. She stopped and turn back to him.

"Give me one good reason why I shouldn't tell them?" Parker said. Sydney could see her struggle.

"Because you love him." Sydney answered. They looked at each other for a moment. Then Sydney walked past her back to the Centre.

Parker stood in the place he left her for a few more moments. Then she went back to bench and sat down.

Damn you, Sydney. She thought to herself, and damn you even more, Jarod.

She didn't know what to do. He was right and she had known it for some time. She might have known it all along, but she always kept her feelings for Jarod out of the Centre. They were between her and him, they always had been and that's exactly where she wanted them to stay. Now what, she asked herself. All her life centered around Jarod. She had tried not to think about her childhood, to not think about that life, the memories were too painful. Her mother's death, their friendship lost, her father's betrayals. How much more could she take? She asked herself. She felt the tears come and this time she didn't try to stop them. What was the point?

It was over, she thought as the tears flowed freely down her cheeks. There was no going back anymore.

Do I love him? she asked herself as memories flooded her. She had gone from a childhood friend who cherished every moment they spent together to his worst enemy and adversary.

Jarod, what happened to us? The unanswered question all these years was answered by her own tears that day. The Centre happened, she said. I let them control my life and yours. Jarod, I'm so sorry. I was so busy hating you, I never realized how much I needed you.

Parker continued to sit on the bench, crying until it became dark and the lights on the grounds slowly came on. She looked back at the building, ominous and looming over her. As she looked to the east side, where she knew Jarod's cell was, she thought about her mother and how many times she must have felt exactly the same. She risked her life to save Jarod and the other children. She went up against them and got killed, she thought quickly.

But, Mom, I'm not you. I have to succeed...for you Mom.

She stood up, brushing off her tears and walking back towards to the Centre. But this time when she walked through those doors, she knew exactly what she had to do and her emotions couldn't be a part of it, especially concerning her father. She wouldn't make the same mistakes her mother had made.

I have to get him out, she said to herself. She owed the Centre for her mother, for Jarod and for herself. It's time to clear those debts, once and for all, she said as she opened the front doors and walked inside.


* * * *

END OF PART ONE



End Notes:

Keep reading Part Two! Thanks!

Chapter 2 by Allyson Diana
Author's Notes:

Miss Parker struggles with the past and the present. With Jarod captured and The Centre looming over them, can she set them free at last?

 

Part Two of Moonlight & Roses

Moonlight & Roses
Allyson Diana
Part Two:

The Centre
Two weeks later


Jarod's hands punched the keys on the computer rapidly. In a matter of minutes, he had downloaded the virus from the Internet and used it to wipe out the entire security system at the Pentagon. Of course, it was only a simulation. One of which Jarod make certain no one else would be able to copy. The Centre would have all the information they wanted from National Security but Jarod put a small bug in the system that would automatically alert the NSA as soon as they were about to download it.

"Good job, Jarod," Sydney said, taking the CD out of the drive.

Lyle walked up behind Sydney taking the CD from him and smiling at Jarod. "A very good job. Less than seven minutes the entire Pentagon computer security was wiped out. I'm impressed, Jarod." He sat down next to him. "You're quite the genius, aren't you? I say that with complete respect. I've never seen anyone be able to do the things you can do."

Jarod smiled at him. An innocent, boyish smile, Lyle had come to know over the past several weeks. He put a hand on his shoulder. Jarod looked back at the computer and punched a few buttons bringing up 'Myst', a computer game Broots had loaded under Sydney's guidance a few days ago. He had been playing the game every chance he got trying to solve the final puzzle. After the first few hours that Broots gave it to him, Jarod had solved the easy puzzles as he called them. But it took a little longer to do finish the last one. He was almost there when Sydney had brought in the CD with his next challenge on it ten minutes ago.

Lyle stood up and let him continue his game while he motioned for Sydney to follow him outside.

"Well, Sydney he's coming along just fine. Tomorrow you can continue where you left off with the simulations," Lyle said, "we have a client." Lyle handed over some blueprints to Sydney. "Give Jarod these."

"What are they?" Sydney asked looking down at the paper.

"Blueprints for a new building our client is in the Construction Industry. He wants to give his boss the best security system for the new building in the world. He came to us." Lyle started to walk away. "Oh, he needs it in two days. Tell Jarod good luck from me." Lyle said and rounded a corner right into Miss Parker.

"I was looking for Sydney," she stated, backing up from Lyle. "My father wants to see him."

"I haven't seen you in this part of the Center much, Miss Parker," Lyle said trying to get her back up. She had been excruciating normal in the last two weeks. No fights, although she still tended to react sarcastic to him...if he started it.

"Is he here?" Miss Parker said, passing Lyle and stopping briefly to wait for his answer.

"Right over there," he pointed back down the corridor. She nodded and walked around the corner.

"Sydney," she said walking up to him.

"Miss Parker," Sydney smiled at her. He hadn't seen her at all since the incident in Jarod's cell. He was starting to think she really had left the Centre, until Broots had told him otherwise a few days after their talk outside. "Where have you been?"

"Here and there." She said, quickly. "My father wants to see you," she looked at him for a moment, then turned around and started to walk away. "Sometime today, Syd." She said as she went rounded the same corner she had come from. Sydney had to walk faster to keep up with her. They continued down the corridor until they came to the elevator at the end of the hall. She pushed the button and waited staring straight ahead.

"Parker, what's happened?" Sydney said quietly.

"I'm on security, you're babysitting Jarod, Lyle's running operations and my father is in charge. Sounds just like old times," she said as the elevator door opened and they stepped inside. Sydney could still hear the tone in her voice, even if Lyle and others didn't. She was good at hiding her emotions and Sydney figured it kept her sane.

She pushed the button for the office level and leaned against the back of the elevator, taking out her cigarette case.

"I thought you quit, Parker," Sydney said, looking at her.

The elevator door opened and Parker stepped out. "Thought you did too," she said back to him as she took the lead down the hallway to her father's office. "Guess there's just some things we can't give up, eh Syd?" She looked back at him for a quick moment, then opened the doors to her father's office ushering Sydney inside.

"Sydney," Mr. Parker said looking out the window with his back to them. "I'm glad you could come."

"I couldn't refuse the invitation," he said looking over at Parker. She started to leave when her father turned around.

"Angel, why don't you stay? You might find this interesting." Mr. Parker looked over at his daughter.

"I have work to do," she said and walked out. Sydney had turned to Parker as she left, amazed at her tone and resolve. He had never seen her be so cold with her father. When he looked back at Mr. Parker, he knew it was affecting him. Sydney wondered how long they had been like that.

"She's a determined girl. Always trying to make things run smoothly." Mr. Parker said trying to ignore the uncomfortable feeling left in the room. "Sit down, Sydney." Mr. Parker motioned to the chair across from him. Sydney took a seat and waited for him to speak.

"We intercepted a message from an old friend," he walked to his desk and picked up a photograph of a man in his mid-thirties. He passed the photo to Sydney.

"He's alive," Sydney said, looking at the photo and remembering something he had tried long ago to forget.

"And well, from what Lyle's people have found out."

"What do you want me for?" Sydney asked not really wanting to hear the answer.

"You know what this could mean for the Centre...and Jarod." Mr. Parker said carefully as he walked from behind the desk to where Sydney sat.

"Jarod's father," Sydney answered, staring down at the photograph.



Later that night

Lyle raced into the Centre's elevator and waited impatiently for it to reach the 26th floor. The door opened and he run down the corridor to where Sydney stood peering into Jarod's room. Lyle walked past him, pushing him out of the way.


"He's gone," Sydney said and hid a smile.

"Where is he?" Lyle said coming up to Sydney, threatening him. "Where did you take him?"

"I wasn't here. The Centre called me in, just like you."

"What about security cameras?" Lyle said.

"Broots has been working on it since he got here. Nothing was on the tapes." Sydney answered looking over to where Broots was at a video monitor watching.

Lyle walked to him, "what do you mean nothing? There are hundreds of cameras here. He wasn't caught on any of them."

"I wouldn't exactly say that, Mr. Lyle," Broots said turning to look at him. Lyle walked over to him.

"Then what would you say," Lyle looked at the video monitor as Broots rewind the tape slowly. He stopped it and Lyle saw Jarod sleeping peacefully.

"What did he do?" Lyle asked, annoyed at having to ask at all.

"He looped the tape, but not just once. Over hundred times, that I've seen so far. It's actually amazing." He let out a quick laugh looking at Lyle. Lyle did not look amused, he quickly looked back at the screen. "You see," Broots started fast forwarding to Jarod getting up, pacing around the room, working on the computer, taking a drink of water. "It was taped in small segments but put together it looks...real." He looked back at Lyle. "He had to be working on this for weeks."

"You idiots," Lyle said hitting the back of the chair.

"I'd be careful throwing that term around tonight, Lyle," Parker said walking in smiling.

"You helped him. You're on security," Lyle said frantically searching her eyes.

"Nope wrong again," Parker said, moving to where Broots was.

"You're security in this place, Parker, you have to answer for this screw up." Lyle said walking to her. He stared at her. Parker turned around to face him, staring back.

"Your morons took me off security tonight. They said the order came from my father...and you. So guess it's your screw up, Lyle."

"God damn it, how did he do it?" Lyle yelled. He looked back at Parker. "I want you to search every hole in this place, every crack in the wall, starting here." He pointed into the room.

"Search it yourself, Lyle. You won't find anything," she answered back. Broots and Sydney were watching the exchange as Mr. Parker came in.

"Lyle, what is going on here? Have you located Jarod?" Mr. Parker asked walking up to them.

"I was just telling my sister to go over the entire place with a fine toothed comb, it seems she has better things to do." Lyle said, looking over at her. She took out a cigarette and lit it.

"You look Lyle. This is your mistake." Mr. Parker said not hiding the anger in his voice.

"Find Jarod now!" Mr. Parker looked from Miss Parker to Sydney then walked out.

"Guess you're not on Dad's number list anymore, Lyle." Parker said. She laughed as Lyle threw her a look and walked into Jarod's room.

"Miss Parker, do you think he did this alone?" Broots asked quietly. Sydney moved next to them.

"Don't look at me, Broots. I don't know how he did it." Parker smiled. "I just glad he did to Lyle." She walked past Sydney patting him on the shoulder. "Buck up, Syd. Things are looking better," she said and walked back to the elevators.

"She's getting too weird," Broots said as they watched her leave.

"She's a Parker," Sydney said and placed a hand on Broots shoulder before turning and leaving also.

"Hey, Syd," Broots asked. He stopped and waited for Broots to walk up to him, "you didn't..." he started looking over at the video screen.

"I'm just a psychologist, Broots. What would I know about security and video surveillance?" he said, smiling and walking down the corridor.

"Jarod...gone." Angelo said walking by Broots. He looked up at him quickly. "Jarod...free." Angelo kept walking into Jarod's room.

"This place is entirely too weird." Broots said walking back to the video screen.



Somewhere outside the Centre
Delaware


Jarod stopped running and looked back toward the Centre and its searchlights. He knew that sight all too well.

"Jarod, we have to keep going. They come searching soon," the man said ahead of him.

Jarod followed him. They caught up with the three others in front of them and got into the waiting van parked on the side of the road. They sped down the road.

"You okay?" The man who was running with him said.

"Who are you?" Jarod asked looking at them. There were five men now, including the driver. They had come into his cell at the Centre and told him it was time to go, that they were there to help him. They explained about the cameras and Jarod made a few adjustments before leaving through his escape route. A route they hadn't come into the Centre by judging from the fact Jarod had to lead them through the maze of the ventilation system and to open ground. This alone had left Jarod with more questions than answers.

"We told you we're here to help you. We're sorry we couldn't come sooner. We just learned about your capture a few days ago," the man said looking back to see if anyone was following. They stopped for a moment and pulled Jarod from the van to a truck on the road. The driver in the van took off and they piled into the truck laying down in the back. The new driver sped even faster than the first.

"Nice to see you Jarod," the man said from the driver's seat.

"How do you all know me?" Jarod asked.

"We've known about you for a long time," the first man said to him. "We've been trying to find you. You're a hard man to find."

"Why would you want to find me?" Jarod keep focused on the man in front of him.

"We will tell you all about it once we get to safety." He said and smiled at Jarod.

The men all settled down to sleep as the car sped down the road. Jarod tried to find out more about these people, but he realized they were going to tell him anything...for the moment. But they seemed safe enough and they had 'rescued' him so to speak so he laid down and fell asleep also, not realizing how exhausted he really was.

Jarod didn't know how long he had slept when he heard the car stop and then turn. He woke up with a start and saw all the men getting up.

"We have just a little further to go," one of the men said to him. "We had to move fast."

The car veered toward the woods and after a few minutes it turned onto a dirt road stopping the car in front of cabin, which looked to Jarod like the only place within miles. They piled out and went inside. Two men went ahead searching the grounds. When they felt it was secure they joined Jarod and others in the Cabin's living room.

The man who had been running with him from the Centre, had gone into the kitchen and started throwing beers to the others. He looked over at Jarod who was standing next to the fireplace. "Heads up, Jarod." He said and threw him one. Jarod caught it and placed it on the mantle behind him.

"I bet you're wondering who we are," one of the men who hadn't spoken to Jarod said. There were all sitting on the floor, the couch or the chair in the room and they were all looking at him.

"Yes," Jarod said.

"Let's just say we're part of your past," the driver said standing up and walking to Jarod. "A missing part." The man looked to be older than the rest of the men, but he had a boyish face still if not intense brown eyes. Jarod stared at him.

"Who are you?" Jarod asked, still staring at him. The men didn't say anything and sat there frozen, like it was a painting and not an actual moment Jarod was living.

The man smiled at him and looked down for a moment as if pondering something. When he looked back up at Jarod, they were tears in his eyes.

"I am..your father, Jarod." He said and smiled at him.

Jarod didn't speak or move for what seemed to him like an eternity. His eyes filled with tears as he looked at this man and recognized where he had seen those eyes before. They were his and he started to notice other similarities as well. Jarod was frozen in time as he stared at this man and tried to remember him. Flashes came to him of a father he was knew but could no longer remember the details of his face.

"It's all right, Jarod. I didn't want to have to tell you like this." He said, soothing. "But I'm been looking for you my whole life and..." he stopped himself. Jarod could see the strain in his eyes as he tried to find the words.

"You found me," was all Jarod said and he hugged him, feeling deep into a moment only they could share. Jarod held onto him for a long moment before he pulled away.

"There's more to tell, Jarod. I want you to understand why I couldn't get you back all those years ago."

"Jarod," the familiar man to Jarod now said, "my name is Greg Darmay. This is Henry O'Sullivan," he said as he started to point at each of the men. "That's Robert Farley. Over there," he said pointing at the chair, "is Neil Wood and that's Peter Oliver." Greg looked at Jarod and stood up. "We were all kidnapped by the Centre, Mr. Parker and Dr. Raines. We were rescued years ago while we were still children."

Jarod looked around at each of the men and instantly felt a connection to them. He knew what Greg was about to say. "Catherine Parker saved you." Jarod said simply and then turned back to his father. "What is my name?" Jarod said, anticipation in his voice. He had waited so long, searched so hard and finally he was here. He stared at his father.

"My name is Charles Holland, Jarod. Your mother is Margaret and..." he paused for a moment. "Your sister's name is Emily." He looked at his son smiling slightly trying to make this easier, but he knew this wasn't going to be easy.

"Where are they?" He said to Charles. Jarod thought about seeing his mother for that one moment as she tried to speak to him. He pictured her and his sister as if it was happening all over again. He could see their faces against the window of the taxi as it drove away.

"Someplace safe." Charles said. "It's better for now if we don't tell you. The Centre will try to kill her and your sister if they knew. Sometimes, I don't even know where they are. But I assure you, Jarod they are safe." Charles took his hand briefly and then walked back to the group.

"We have a lot to do and not much time. The Centre will figure out sooner or later that you didn't do it alone. They know everything, believe me. I used to work for them." He said as if this was a simple statement he had said many times before.

"What? You used to work for them."

"Years ago. I promise you I will tell you everything, but right now we need to work out a plan to destroy the Centre," he stood in the center of the room and Jarod stared at him as he talked. He looked at the brown eyes, the dark hair, his nose, his ears and slowly the pieces were coming back to him. He seemed to recall the man reading to him, flashes of memory came flooding back to him.

"We'll finish the rest when I get back," he said to the boy as he tucked him in.

"Why do you have to leave, Daddy?" the boy asked.

"Daddy has to go to work. I'll only be gone a few days, Jarod. Now be good and go to sleep." He kissed him on the forehead. "I love you." He said as he started to the door of the little bedroom.

"I love you too, Daddy," Jarod answered and closed his eyes.

Jarod was pulled back to the present by Greg who was staring at him now. "Are you sure he's all right, Charlie?" Greg asked looking at him. "Maybe they did something to him while he was there."

"I'm fine," Jarod answered. Greg smiled quickly.

"Sorry, I didn't mean it..."

"I know." Jarod said, reassuringly, "I'm fine."

"Here's the only way. That bomb didn't do as much damage as we may have thought." Charles said, looking at a blueprint of the Centre now. Jarod moved towards him.

"You knew about the bomb?" Jarod asked his father.

"We knew about it...too late." He looked up at him. "Sydney never could get anything right." He said with anger in his voice. Jarod looked at him and saw his expression go from angry to hurt before changing back to calm. He looked over at Jarod and smiled. "I have may have anger towards the man who raised my son, you could imagine." He said and then went back to the blueprint.

"We'll need to blow the entire place, that's the only way to make certain everyone dies with it." Charles said in a casual tone. "We can't make mistakes. Not now."

"You can't blow up the Centre," Jarod said. "What about all those lives?"

All the men looked at him as if he was crazy.

"Who cares? It will kill Raines and the rest of his cronies. That should end it once and for all," Greg said.

"No, it's wrong. You can't just kill the innocent along with them. What about Angelo?" Jarod said trying to plead with them for another one of the victims. "He doesn't deserve that."

"He's done for, Jarod. We can't save Angelo," Neil said, looking at him.

"He was done the minute Raines got his hands on him," Greg said to Jarod. He looked away. "Even Catherine couldn't save him."

He looked at his father, "no I can't allow this. There are people there...who matter." Jarod said cautiously. He understood this pain and the resentment and especially the hate. He had felt it as well. But he couldn't allow them to kill Sydney and Broots and Angelo...and Amanda, he thought to himself. He looked back to his father, Amanda, he thought, how was he going to explain this to my father?

"Look, Jarod, I know you spent a lot longer inside than any of us. But believe me, I worked with them. Everyone who works with them kills innocent people, intentionally or not, deserves to die right along with the rest." Charles tried to make Jarod understand. But he could see the look in his eyes and he knew he had failed.

"No, I don't believe that. Some of them...deserve a chance. The same chance that Catherine Parker gave all of you." His father looked away. "Don't you understand you can't stop the Centre by becoming what it represents? You can't live your life hating them for what they did, I know it's easy to hate them, but Raines and the others will get their own punishment in time." The men had all stopped and were looking at him now. "There are other ways to destroy them without killing. If we kill them, it's no different than what they did to else. We would be no different than them." Jarod finished and turned away walking back to the fireplace.

"Give me a minute," Charles said looking at the men. They slowly dispersed from the room and going outside. Charles walked over to Jarod. He put a hand on his shoulder.

"Jarod...son. Listen to me, please," he said. Jarod didn't know what to do. He was torn in two and he could feel the pain deep inside him. He looked away at his father and he knew tears were in his eyes, but he couldn't fight anymore. He wanted it to be over just like them. He wanted the nightmares to go away, the fear to stop, but he couldn't agree to this. He couldn't kill them.

"I know you were in there for a long time. I know what Sydney must have meant to you. I know how alone you must have felt, but they have to be stopped. Don't you understand, Jarod, they will do it again and again until they kill you?" He said, grabbing Jarod's arm hard. Jarod jerked up looking at him. "I won't let that happen. Whatever feelings you have towards these people. Forget them. I'm your family. Not them. I'm your father, Jarod, not Sydney and no one in that place was ever any good to anyone." He stared at him intently. Jarod saw such anger in his eyes, he pulled himself away from the grip.

He walked back to the couch and stood in front of it, trying to be strong. He looked at his father. "Did you kill Catherine Parker?" He finally asked, taking a deep breath and waiting for his answer. He knew there was no turning back now.

His father stared at him and walked silently to the chair standing behind it. He took a long breath and turned back to face his son. "No, Jarod, I didn't." Jarod let out a breath he didn't realize he had been holding and felt relieved somehow.

"I wanted to," his father said sitting down in the chair. "I thought she was evil allowing it all to continue and to take my baby boy. To take my son and then to leave him there."

"She was going to get me out when someone killed her." Jarod sat down on the end of the couch next to his father. He took his hand in his. "Dad, do you know who killed her?" He said, looking into his eyes. Charles didn't look back at Jarod. "Please tell me. There's someone who needs to know."

His father looked up at him. "Raines," he said. "Raines saw me, I didn't know he was there. I had the gun on her, but I couldn't do it. Then the shot came from behind me. I saw her fall, I dropped the gun in my hand. When I turned, I saw Raines. I ran as fast as I could to get away. He followed me but the security was all ready there. He told Parker it was me and they sent people after me. I couldn't go back there for fear of my life. So I had to stay away from the Centre and from you. Jarod," he looked at him, "it was the hardest thing I have ever done...to leave you behind. But I knew someday I would find you again and together we will make everyone of those bastards pay." He stared at Jarod with an intensity in his brown eyes. An intensity that frightened Jarod. "Do you understand now, son?" He said, pleading with him.

"I understand." Jarod got up and started to walk away.

"Where are you going?" Charles asked as he stood up also.

"I need time." Jarod said and headed upstairs.

"We don't have any more time, son," Charles said as he looked after his son going up the stairs.



The Centre

Broots sat at the DSA machine, Sydney was standing over him. Miss Parker had moved to the corner, smoking. It had been only a day since Jarod's escape and all ready they were teamed back up with Lyle to search for him and it was obvious to all of them, this was the last place they wanted to be. Lyle had them looking over the DSA tapes from the last two weeks to find any trace of Jarod's plan. Parker had stopped watching over an hour ago.

"Broots rewind that," Sydney suddenly said. Parker turned to him.

"Do you have something, Syd?" She walked over to the men and looked at the screen. Jarod was sitting at the computer, staring. Broots rewound the tape and showed it to Sydney. Parker and Broots looked up at him.

"What?" Parker asked, annoyed.

"One more time, Broots." Sydney said, leaning down closer. Broots rewound the section of tape again and waited for Sydney to tell him why.

Parker leaned in and tried to follow what Sydney saw. She back up after a moment and sighed, shaking her head.

"It's a message," Sydney finally said, smiling. "Jarod is using a code Look at his right hand" Sydney pointed to the screen. Parker leaned back over, Broots leaned in and neither of them could see what Sydney did. All they saw was Jarod hitting a mouse button with his finger, tapping.

"He's playing the game I loaded," Broots said.

"No, Broots look closely." Broots leaned in again and this time it hit him. He turned up the volume on the DSA. There was a series of taps that could be heard. "Oh my god, Sydney." Broots pointed to the computer screen on the tape. "The computer's not on."

"Exactly. Write it down, Broots." Sydney said, getting a chair and sitting next to him.

"You're both crazy," Parker said walking away from them.

She went back to the corner and took a drag from the cigarette. She was depressed enough she didn't want to know anything about Jarod's message. It was probably a big joke on the Centre and her. She leaned her head back against the wall and closed her eyes.

"Parker," Sydney said, quickly. She opened her eyes and looked at him. "Come here." Parker walked back to them and looked at Sydney. Broots looked up at her. "It's for you, Miss Parker." Sydney said.

"What?" She looked at the screen and then down to the piece of paper with a series of dots and dashes on it. The two men looked at the screen intently, Broots wrote down a few more dots and dashes and then looked at Sydney.

"It's Morse Code. The oldest code there is. Jarod learned it as a child, that's how he communicated with his brother, Kyle when he was here."

"Yea, yea. Get on with it, Syd," Parker said thoroughly annoyed now.

"Amanda," Broots started. He looked up at her.

"What?" Parker snapped at him.

"I didn't know your name," Broots said nervously and went back to the paper. Parker just looked at him. "Find your answers where there are moonlight and roses." Sydney and Broots looked at each other.

"What the hell does that mean?" Parker said walking away. Now she was annoyed.

"It must mean something to Jarod. Think Parker. He's reaching out to you," Sydney said. "He knew he was leaving. He wrote this message for you. It must mean something."

Parker paced trying to think.

"Why would Jarod leave a message three days before he actually left?" Broots asked. Sydney looked over at Parker.

"I don't know Broots." Sydney answered, staying focused on Parker.

She paced back and forth and then it hit her.

"Moonlight and roses," she said quickly.

"Do you know what it means?" Sydney asked, standing up. She turned to him.

"When we were children, right after Mom died. I used to ask Jarod about death all the time. He asked me to talk to my father. When I finally did. My father told me that in heaven it could look like anything you want. I told Jarod this and..." She drifted off to a distant memory.

The Centre
1971


"So what did he say?" Jarod asked sitting on a bench. Miss Parker was standing up away from him.

"He told me heaven looks like anything you want it to," Miss Parker answered.

"What do you think it looks like to your mother?" He had asked.

"I don't know." Miss Parker said turning away.

Jarod stood up, walking to her. When he reached her, he touched her face, she looked back at him, "I think your mother's heaven looks like moonlight and roses," he said, smiling at her. She smiled and he let go of her face and sat back down on the bench. Miss Parker looked at him. Then walked to the bench and sat down. She paused a moment before leaning in and kissing him.

"So what does it mean, Parker?" Sydney said pulling her back to the present.

"I have to go, Sydney keep looking. See if Jarod has anymore messages. Don't show Lyle any of this," Parker started to walk out.

"Where are you going?" Sydney asked.

"To find the moonlight and roses," she said quickly and walked out.

"Sydney, do you know what she's talking about?" Broots said looking at him.

Sydney smiled. "Come on Broots, let's look at the tapes again." Broots nodded his head and pulled out the DSA putting in another one.


Parker slammed open the door of her apartment, through down her coat and keys and started to search. I know it's here somewhere, she said to herself. She went into the bedroom and looked around in her closet. She felt the box in her hand and pulled it down. She looked at it for a moment and brushed away the memories she knew were inside. She opened the box and dumped out the letters. There were dozens of them, all from Jarod to her during her time at school. Sydney had somehow gotten them to her all those years. She started opening the envelopes and searched for the one she knew was there.

After a few long minutes, she had it. She opened the letter with the drawing of moonlight streaming through a rose garden on the front. She sat back and started to read.

The days seem endless here now. The simulations go on and on and I still can't stop thinking about you. I miss you, Amanda. I hope your learning everything you wanted in that school. I wish sometimes I could see the world like you do, but I know I can't.

Do you remember when we were children and you asked your father about heaven? I still think your mother lives in Moonlight and Roses, Amanda. I would like to see that place someday, wouldn't you?

I want you to know that if you feel the same...I will know and I'll wait for you...with her.

I hope you understand what I'm saying. I have to go now. Sydney's back.

Your friend always,
Jarod

Parker put down the letter and felt the tears on her cheeks. Why didn't she think of it before? She thought to herself. All those years, Jarod. I never thought...she stopped herself, brushed away the tears and took the letter, putting the rest in the box, closing it and placing it back on the shelf. She had to think now. She picked up her keys and coat and walked out of the apartment.





Jarod woke up with a start. He was sweating and breathing heavy. He couldn't remember the nightmare, but he was certain it had to do with the Centre. He looked around him quickly and started to calm his breathing, realizing he was actually free and with his father. He looked around the bedroom and saw he was alone. He went to the window and slid open the doors to outside. He stepped out to the deck and saw the moon shining down.
He thought about her again. He knew he had to get there soon. Even if she never figured it out, he had to try.

Be patient, Amanda. He said to himself. I'll be there, I didn't except it to be like this. He talked silently to the moon and somehow it felt like he was talking to her.

Jarod moved back to the bedroom and walked downstairs. He saw Charles sitting at the couch with the blueprints laid out in front of him. No one else was around, so Jarod figured they were all asleep.

"I need to borrow the van," Jarod said to him as he stepped into the living room. "I need to go back."

Charles stood up and looked at him. "Jarod, you're home. This is your home now. With me and the others. I going to find your mother and you can see her and the sister you never knew. There is no going back."

"I had planned to escape the Centre the night after you came. I'm grateful for you and the others that you got me out, but I had all ready planned it and someone is waiting for me. I need to let them know I'm safe." Jarod said, looking at him. He could tell his father wasn't going to understand.

"Who? Sydney?" Charles asked, looking away. "You have to let go Jarod."

"I want you to understand, but I don't have the time right now." Jarod said, walking to him. "I need to do this. It's important."

"I can't let you go back there. I just found you, I'm not going to lose you." He looked at his son and Jarod smiled.

"You'll never lose me, but I can't leave her there," Jarod walked away.

"Who, Jarod?" Charles looked at Jarod closely. He saw him stop, take a deep breath and turn back to face him.

"Miss Parker."

Charles laughed. "You're crazy. She's after you. She has been for the past three years. Jarod she's not your friend. She wants you back at the Centre...to be used." He walked up to Jarod and held his shoulders. "She doesn't care about anyone but herself."

"You're wrong and I'm going back to save her." Jarod pulled away from him. Charles caught his arm and turned him around.

"No, you're not. Let her go like the rest of them. She is your enemy Jarod. She's just like her father. If she was your friend, why did she let them do that to you?" Charles looked at him, pleading in his eyes. "Let her go."

Jarod stared at him for a long moment, "I can't, Dad. I'm sorry you don't understand. But Amanda doesn't have anyone to save her. I'm not leaving her there...not again."

Charles let go of his son and shook his head. "You love her." He said, simply. Jarod looked at his father with eyes that bore into him.

"Yes, I do." Jarod said, sounding as if it was the first time he had really heard it. "I do," he said almost in a whisper looking down.

"And what happens when she takes you back to the Centre, Jarod? She doesn't love you. She uses you. She always used you. Think Jarod."

Jarod shook his head trying to ignore his father's statements. "You don't understand." He said with conviction. Charles stopped walking towards him and stared at him. He couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"Jarod..." he started.

"I'm sorry but I need to live my own life. I wanted to find you and Mom so much. I never thought I could be complete until then. But I found you and soon I will see my mother. I can't ignore what I feel anymore. I can't allow you to destroy a hope. That's what they did." Jarod walked to him and took his hand. "That's what they took from you the night they stole me. Don't let me leave her there, like you had to leave me. I can't live with that guilt."

"And what if she doesn't love you? What if she wants to take you back?"

"Then I'll know. But Dad, I have to find out...once and for all. Don't you see? I have to know I can't wonder forever." He looked at him, intensely. "I have to do this...for me."

"It's worth risking your life for this woman?" Charles said trying to understand, but all he could see was his son leaving him again.

"Yes. Catherine Parker thought it was worth risking her life for me."

Charles let go of Jarod's hand and sat down. There was a long silence and then he stood up again.

"All right, but I'll take you back. Just in case." He said, quickly and then walked outside.

Jarod smiled and let out a breath, following him out the door.




Parker walked slowly to the graveyard. It had been almost a year since she had come here. She walked to the section she knew so well and looked down at the headstones she past.

"Her voice is inside you," she heard Jarod say to her when they were children. She looked down at her mother's grave and reached out touching her hand to it. Mom, she said softly. The sun was breaking through the trees as the early morning dawn began. Mom, she said again. Tell me what to do. She put both her hands on the stone, closing her eyes.

"Honey, remember," she heard her mother say as she sat with her a long time ago at the mirror. Her mother brushed her hair as she talked. "Always listen with your heart. It will tell you what to do."

"How do I know how to listen?" she had asked looking up at her mother with the innocence only a child knows. Her mother smiled, a warm, comforting smile. She loved that smile.

"You'll know. Just reach out and listen. Trust in your heart." She said and put down the brush and hugged her daughter.

Parker opened her eyes and the memory was gone once again. She looked down at the stone and started to look around it. He must have left a clue, she thought. He always leaves something. But she didn't see anything. She looked around, searching with her eyes for any sign of Jarod. Nothing. She started to turn and leave when she heard it. She could hear it clearly. She walked back to her mother's grave, touching it again. You were right, Mom. Just reach out and listen. She smiled and turned to the bench nearby. She sat down and waited.

The van stopped at the road ahead of them. Jarod could see the graveyard and daylight was streaming through now.

"Jarod, I should go with you," Charles said, taking his hand.

"No. She...I need to talk with her alone." Jarod said. "Trust me. She won't hurt me," he smiled at his father and opened the door, getting out.

Charles watched his son go into the graveyard and out of sight. He tried to calm his heart from beating so fast, but he couldn't help thinking how he had done the same thing years ago.

"Leave him," the man who he had come to know as Finigore said. "You can't save him now."

"He's my son, I can't leave him with those monsters," he had told him.

"They need him. They won't hurt him," Finigore said, looking at him. "You're in danger now, Charles. They want you dead."

"I didn't do anything," Charles had said, looking at him.

"Raines will use you as the killer. It will save him and they will never stop looking for you and Mary. You need to run now and don't look back...ever." Finigore took his hand for a moment then walked away. He never saw him again and he had never gone back to the Centre since that horrible night.

Charles looked at his watch as the seconds went by, he felt he was losing his son all over again.



Parker's eyes were closed when Jarod approached her. She must have been waiting for hours, he thought. He walked up to her and stopped in front of her. She awoke with a start, pulling her gun.

"I promised someone you wouldn't hurt me. He might get upset if he saw you pointing a gun at me," Jarod said, smiling at her.

"Jesus, Jarod. You scared me." She said, putting the gun away and looking up at him. "What is this all about?" She looked at him with those cold eyes he knew so well.

"Moonlight and roses, Miss Parker," he said.

"I read the letter, I knew you would come here. But I can't figure out why you would risk your freedom to talk with me." She stood up and Jarod walked a few steps away.

"Because I need to know something and I need to tell you something," Jarod said turning to face her. She walked up to him.

"How did you escape this time?" She said from behind him.

"I had help."

"Sydney?" Parker asked.

"No. Miss Parker, you weren't going to let them keep me there this time were you?" He looked at her. She walked away, shaking her head.

"I don't know what you're talking about. Must be the drug." She turned her back to him.

He approached her and touched her face turning her around to look at him, like he had done years ago. "You risked your life to come to me that night. I had never seen you so determined."

"I was stupid." She said, moving her face away.

"Amanda, don't let it happen again." He said with such conviction in his voice, she stepped back.

"Jarod I..."

He grabbed her arms, quickly and pulled her to him. She struggled until he kissed her. The kiss changed from desperate to needing as she put her arms around him and kissed him back. After a few moments, they both stopped and slowly looked at each other.

"I love you, Amanda," Jarod said first, looking at her tenderly. "I always have. I know now I always will." Parker's mind was racing. She had to get out of this. It was becoming way too intense even for her. She looked at Jarod's eyes pleading with her for an answer she just couldn't say it. She breathed in and out a few times. Jarod held her hand and pulled her, she resisted. "Come with me. Don't go back there." He stared into her eyes and she thought she was going to melt away right there.

"I can't. Jarod, I can't. Not now. They will never stop looking for you." She regained her composure and tried to think rationally. The thought of leaving the Centre behind was tempting, very tempting, but she knew she was his only chance at surviving...right now. "I can help you. If I'm there, they can't get to you. Do you understand? I won't let them take you again." She looked at him, intensely. He could see she was struggling with her decision.

"I can't leave you there. Not even to help me. Amanda, this is wrong. They'll kill you if they knew. You know what they can do." Jarod took his hands in hers. "Don't die for this. Your mother wouldn't want you to. I don't want you to. Come with me, now. If we have to fight the Centre, I want to do it with you, not against you. I can't live with that."

"It's your only hope of staying out here and you know it. It's over, Jarod. Live your life, don't come back just disappear..." she looked at him and tears started again. "I know you can do it," she said fighting against them. "You're a pretender. Don't let them find you. Don't leave clues or call Sydney..." she turned away, slightly, "or talk to me. Let it go, all of it." She was crying now. Jarod turned her around and held her tightly. He felt the tears on his cheeks from his own eyes.

"I love you, please come with me." Jarod said, stroking her hair and pleading with her. "Please..."

She broke from the embrace and turned away, running toward the gate to the graveyard. Jarod ran after her out of the graveyard entrance. He stopped a few feet down the road and watched her as she got into the car and sped off...and out of his life, forever.

Charles watched his son as he turned back slowly toward the van and walked up to him. He had seen all of it and the pain he saw on Jarod's face was almost too much to bear. How dare she? He thought with anger. It has to stop. They have to stop hurting him. He said to himself as Jarod stood next to the van. Charles got out and went to his son.

Jarod started crying now, harder. He just let it come and slid down the van to the ground, putting his head in his hands.

"Come on Jarod. We have to go," his father said to him. "It's over."

Jarod looked up at his father with a pained expression on his face. He was lost, he didn't know where to go. Charles took his son's shoulders and helped him up, getting him into the van. Jarod stared out the window as Charles got in on the other side and started the van.

"I'm sorry, Jarod. I'm so sorry. I knew she would do this. That's why I didn't want you to come." He said, trying to sooth his son's breaking heart. "They're all the same," he said looking out at the road ahead.

"You're wrong," Jarod said, still staring out the window. "She did it to save me." Charles looked over at him. Jarod put his head back, took a deep breath and closed his eyes. All Jarod could see in those eyes was her, crying.

They drove in silence back to the cabin. The men were waiting for them.

"Hey, Charles. Everything go ok?" Greg asked coming up to him. Charles looked over at him and then watched Jarod get out the van and walk away from the group.

"He's going to need some time," Charles said. "I know we need to strike soon, but give him a few more days." Charles looked at Greg, he nodded.

"What happened out there?" Greg asked him as they went outside.

"The past," was all Charles said.


Parker walked into her office, quickly and shut the door. She leaned against it and closed her eyes.

"Are you all right, Parker?" She heard Sydney say.

"Sydney what are you doing here?" She walked to her desk and looked at Sydney.

"Waiting for you. Did he contact you?" Sydney asked quietly. "Is he all right?"

Parker looked away from Sydney and stared at the wall behind them.

"Miss Parker, is Jarod all right?"

She started to shake her no and then she stumbled a bit backwards. Sydney caught her to keep her from falling. "No, Sydney, I think," she started to cry. "I destroyed him." Parker said, trying to stop the tears.

"What do you mean?" Sydney looked at her with fear in his eyes. Oh my god, he thought to himself. Did she? Could she?

"I.." she started slowly. "He told me he loved me," she looked up at him like a little child waiting for approval. "I couldn't tell him, Sydney. I left him there and walked away." She shrugged her shoulders, still crying. " Just walked away and told him to disappear and to not contact any of us. I told him to let go." She looked down at her hands that Sydney was now holding.

"You did the right thing, Parker." He said looking at her. He knew how hard this must have been for both of them. "You saved him. Just like your mother saved all those children. You did it. She would have been proud of you."

Parker looked up at him the tears coming down her cheeks. "No, Sydney. She always told me to listen to my heart." She tried to pull back her tears, she breathed in quickly and let it out. "I love him. He needs me."

"Parker, there's nothing you could do. Jarod will be safe now. We can lead them in the wrong direction. They'll never find him." Sydney said looking at her. She turned away then looked back at him sharply.

"You don't understand. You didn't see his face. I destroyed him. Sydney," she took his hands tightly. "I broke his heart. I did it. Nothing the Centre did to him made him give up hope. I did that. If you saw his eyes," she started to cry. Sydney pulled her in, hugging her like a father to a daughter.

"It's all right. It will be all right," he said trying to comfort her. He knew exactly what she meant now.


Mr. Parker's Office

"You were right," Lyle said walking in. "Follow her and it will lead to him."

"You found Jarod," Mr. Parker walked up to his son.

"Yep and we know who he's with." He handed some pictures to Mr. Parker. He took them and looked at Jarod and his daughter, talking, then kissing, then her running away from him. The last photo was of Charles in a van.

"Charles," Mr. Parker said clenching his teeth. "I knew he'd come back someday."

"Well, we know where they are and my team's waiting on your order." Lyle said, smiling.

"Have them hold their position right now. Don't do anything. I have a matter to discuss with my daughter."

"It's clear she's working with him," Lyle said.

"You shouldn't be so quick to judge a photograph, Lyle. Your sister would never betray me." Mr. Parker looked at Lyle with anger. "She wouldn't dare," he said. Lyle smiled and walked out of the office.

Mr. Parker walked over to his phone and pushed the intercom.

"Bring my daughter up here," he said and shut it off, sitting down. He stared at the photo of Charles. "I get Jarod, just like I said in the beginning, Charles. I always have what he wants." He smiled and turned his chair to face the window, leaning back.



"Miss Parker," Broots said out of breath as he ran into her office. Sydney and Parker turned to look at him. "They're coming," he said quickly as three men charged into her office.

"Your father wants to see you, Miss Parker." One of them said walking to her and grabbing her arm.

She pulled away. "I know where my father's office is. I'll walk, thanks." She walked ahead of them. Broots and Sydney exchanged a look.

They escorted her to the office and almost pushed her inside. They stood behind her.

"Do we really need the escorts?" she said to her father as he turned in his chair. He smiled at Parker then nodded to the men. They hit her from behind the knees. She buckled and fell down. They took her to the chair waiting in the corner and sat her down, strapping her feet and hands.

"That's enough. Thank you," he said and dismissed them.

"What the hell is going on?" She screamed. Mr. Parker looked at her then walked over with a picture in his hand. He turned the picture so she could see it.

"Look familiar, angel." He said harshly. Parker started to feel afraid, she pushed her fears aside and stared at her father and away from the picture of her and Jarod. "Go on tell me the story of how you tried to bring Jarod in." He said looking at her.

She just stared at him, not saying anything.

"Oh, so you learned this game from Jarod, did you? Don't worry. You'll see him soon. We're bringing him and his little friends in tonight. So you'll have company." He looked at her, "but first I want to know what you know about him." Mr. Parker held the photo up of Charles so she could see it.

"I don't know who he is?" She said to him, looking away.

"Well let me tell you then. Your mother's killer." She looked up at him. "That's right, angel. Jarod's father. You let that maniac go while you were busy with his son." He shook his head. "It's a shame that you had to turn out so much like your mother. She listened too much to her heart and not enough to her head." He looked at her and Parker knew it was all over. The Centre was going to win. Why hadn't Jarod told her about him, she thought to herself. Why did his father come back so close to the Centre?

"Where is he?" She said, looking at her father. He turned to her. "Jarod's father. I want him dead for what he did."

"Oh, he will be. But first, I need to have a little talk with you." He looked at his daughter. "You need to help me so that the Centre won't think you betrayed them. That could be very dangerous...for both of us." He walked to the other end of the room and put his back to her. She struggled against the straps for a minute. "I want you to go with Lyle and bring Jarod in. I know you can do it, honey. After all, he loves you doesn't he?" He turned on Miss Parker, she looked up at him. "Doesn't he?" She looked away. "That's all right, I knew. I just didn't think you would fall for it. Well, I guess children can be disappointing."

He walked close to her and she turned to him, staring coldly at him.

"You will tell Jarod that you're helping him and that the Centre is trying to kill him. When you bring him through the woods, Lyle will be waiting."

"And then you'll kill me, right, Daddy?" She said, sarcastically. "Isn't that the way it works?"

"If I thought that you were trying to help him. I would be very upset, but you're just confused, aren't you?" He circled her a bit before going back to his seat. "So what do you think? It's a brilliant plan."

"One problem...:" she said looking at him.

"What's that?"

"I'm not your bait." She said, staring at him. Mr. Parker laughed.

"Yes you are, angel. Whether you do this voluntarily or not, is really not my concern. That's yours. If you do this and we bring Jarod in, you will prove to the Centre that you can be trusted. If you turn, however, that could be a problem." He buzzed the intercom. "All right you can come in."

The men walked back in, un-strapped her and let her go. They walked back out.

"It's your choice, angel."

She walked up to her father. "Don't ever call me that again," she said in his face. "You are lucky mother died. Because this little scene would have killed her, Daddy." She said angrily.

"Remember what I said." He called to her as she walked out. "It's your choice, just like your mother. "

"I am officially in hell, Mom," she said to herself as she walked down the hall.


END OF PART TWO







End Notes:

Keep going! Part Three is next!

Thanks for reading!

Chapter 3 by Allyson Diana
Moonlight & Roses
Allyson Diana
Part Three:

Woods
Two days later


Jarod was sitting outside when Greg came up to him. He hadn't done much in the last two days. He hadn't wanted to do anything. His father was trying to get him to eat, but he couldn't. He didn't want to eat or sleep or even think anymore. He just wanted it all to go away.

"Hey, Jarod. Charlie thought you might want some dinner," Greg sat down next to him. "Guess not. That's all right, Neil cooked. It's probably better if you don't eat it." He patted his stomach.

"How old were you when Catherine rescued you?" Jarod asked turning to face Greg.

"About eight, I guess." Greg looked away.

"I don't know how old I am." Jarod looked across the woods.

"Your father would know," Greg said. "Ask him." Jarod looked down. "What happened in there, Jarod? What did they do to you?" He didn't want to sound like he was prying, but Jarod looked so sad even though he found his family and got out of the Centre.

"I know my father means well, Greg. I know who angry he is at them for taking me away. But you know this is wrong. Killing all of them won't stop the demons or the nightmares that we all have." Jarod looked over at Greg. "It will only create new ones. I know." He looked across to the woods again. "I killed someone recently," Jarod's mind raced back to Damon and the horrors he had done to all those innocent people. To his friend. To him. He knew he was angry, he knew he had to be stopped. "What he had done to people was wrong and I wanted to stop him because I hated him for what he did to me. I trusted him and he killed one of my friends. I knew he had to stop him."

"What happened?" Greg asked.

"He had taken another one of my friends. He had him at gunpoint. I knew he would kill him unless I stopped him first. I pulled the trigger and he fell. I watched as his life fade away...and I can't get that moment out of my head." Jarod stood up. "I didn't have to kill him, I had to stop him. I was confused by my anger, so is my father. So are all of you. We should stop the Centre, not kill people." Jarod walked away. Greg stood looking at him and slowly went back into the cabin. Somehow he knew Jarod was right.

Jarod walked around the back of the cabin and started to head for the other side when he saw her. Then he saw the men behind her. Jarod stared in disbelief. You betrayed me, how could you? You distracted me so that they could follow us. No , he said to himself. She didn't betray him, the Centre betrayed her. He looked at her eyes and knew he was right. Empty. He had to warn them. He crept into the back door and told them all to be quiet.

"They're here. They want me, no one has to get hurt. Take the van, it's parked in the back and go," Jarod said quietly.

"No," Greg went to Jarod who was now on the ground. "We stay and fight."

"No, Greg you leave and live." He said, sharply at him.

"Do as Jarod says," Charles told them. "Be quiet and meet us at the river like we said. If we're not there in an hour, leave. Now go!" He said to them as they headed out the back. He pulled out a bag of filled with weapons. Jarod looked over at him. Charles crept to the window and he could see Parker coming up the walkway. He pointed his gun at the window. Jarod pulled the gun down.

"No," Jarod said. "We do this my way." He pulled out a smoke bomb from the bag.

"Jarod, what are you going to do with that?" Charles said catching his hand.

"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." Jarod said and motioned for him to leave. Charles stayed where he was. "You have to go, we'll only have a matter of seconds."

"I stay." Charles said looking at him.

"All right, go out the back and we'll meet you there." Charles nodded and took his gun.

Jarod saw her on the steps. She looked like someone had convinced her to be there, that was for certain. Oh, Parker, why didn't you listen to me? He said to himself and then opened the door, pulling her with one hand and throwing the smoke bomb with the other. Smoke started to go around them and he heard the men in the bushed shout to get them.

"Jarod," she started.

"Come on Parker. We don't have time to talk right now. Run," he said screaming at her. She held the hand he outstretched for her and ran with him out the back door. "Come on," he said to Charles as they passed by. Parker didn't have time to look at who Jarod was shouting at.

"Where are we going?" Charles asked.

They entered the woods and headed east back toward the cabin.

"Jarod, what are you doing?" Charles said.

"I said trust me." He answered and continued running east. Parker looked over at Charles. It was dark so she couldn't make out the face.

"He says that all the time," she said and followed after him. Charles caught with them just as they stopped.

"What now?" Parker asked. Jarod looked at her.

"Got the keys to any of these cars?" He said looking over at the Centre cars. He turned to her and smiled. She reached in her coat and threw him a key ring.

"Right here," she whispered pointed to the red sportscar no more than 25 feet away from them.

"All right. Ready?" He looked back at both of them. They nodded. They raced across the field, opened the door dove into the car, started it and took off. The men heard the car from the woods, but they were all too deep into the woods to get there in time.


The Centre

"You have got to be kidding?" Lyle said on his cell phone, looking over at Sydney and Broots who were waiting anxiously.

"What happened?" Sydney asked.

"They got away all of them!" Lyle yelled. "Jarod, his father and Miss Parker." He stormed out of the office, "I hate him."

Broots held but a cheer as Sydney looked at him.

"What? They got away." Broots said.

"Yes and if Jarod took Miss Parker, her father will be in more determined to bring them both back...for punishment." Sydney said and walked out the doors.

Broots looked around for a moment and then put a fist in the air. "Go Jarod," he whispered and walked out the door.


The car sped down the road for a while, before they all realized no one was following them.

"Jarod are you insane?" She said, looking over at him driving.

"I wasn't going that fast," he said looking over at her.

"You could of gotten us both killed back there with your little trick."

"You should be happy I didn't kill you." Charles said from the back seat.

"Who the hell are you?" She looked over at him and realized she knew the answer to her question. She pulled her gun as Charles pointed his up at her. Jarod stopped the car.

"That's enough," he took the gun out of Parker's hand, quickly and looked at his father. "Save it, we have to find the others." Parker and Charles stared at each other. "Where are they?" He said to his father. Charles broke the stare. Parker kept focused on him.

"At the river. Go about two miles, take a left head straight for the water. We'll find them," he said and leaned back in the seat. Parker didn't move.

Jarod reached out and touched her shoulder. "Amanda, back down." He said, firmly. She looked sharply at him. "Now." She looked once more at Charles and then relaxed a bit although she didn't keep him out of sight for the ride. She was still sitting halfway in the seat when Jarod stopped and saw the van.

"There they are," he said and got out. "Come on," he looked at Parker. She opened the door and got out. All the men came up to Jarod.

"You all right?" Greg asked.

Jarod was watching his father get out of the car and within seconds, he saw him lift his gun.

"No!!" Jarod screamed. Parker backed up a step. Charles advanced towards her.

"Stay away from my son," he said staring her down.

"You gonna kill me?" She asked challenging him back.

"If I have to."

"Like you killed my mother." She said. Jarod saw the tension rising and he stepped in-between them.

"Jarod, get out of the way!" Charles yelled at him. "It's for your own good. None of them are any good." He said staring at him through Jarod.

"Screw you, asshole," she lunged for him and the gun went off.

"No!!" Jarod screamed and dropped down on his knees to Parker. She was bleeding from the shoulder where Charles had shot her. He ripped off a piece of his shirt and tied it around her shoulder to stop the bleeding.

Charles stood there frozen as he watched his son taking care of her. He didn't know what to do. He walked away, slowly. Jarod watched him for a moment before he yelled at the other men to help him.

"Open the van," he said and picked up Parker. She was awake but he could see the pain in her eyes. "You'll be fine," he said smiling at her.

"Nice father," she answered back. He laid her down in the van and told the men to give her some beer.

She put up a fight, but as soon as Jarod touched her shoulder, she downed a gulp of it. After a while, he was able to get out the bullet. He didn't have much to work with, a tool set and a first aid box, but he wrapped and bandaged the shoulder. Parker had passed out during it and was soundly sleeping now. The men were watching this in awe. They knew what he was capable of, they were tested also, but they had never seen him in action and it thoroughly impressed all of them.

"Thanks," he said to Greg as they climbed out of the van.

"Why did you take her with you?" Greg asked as they walked away from the van.

"Because she needs our help, too." Jarod said and walked away.

He saw his father by the riverbank, sitting on the edge. He walked over to him, wiping his hands on a rag.

"How is she?" Charles asked in a hoarse voice. Jarod could tell he had been crying.

"She'll be fine." Jarod sat down on the ledge next to him. "Why did you do it?"

"I thought...I don't know what I thought. I saw her lunge and I fired." He said and looked away. "I could have killed you."

"Well, you didn't," Jarod touched his father's hand. "Amanda is not your enemy."

"I'm not sure she thinks that?" Charles said, laughing slightly. "I think she still would like to kill me."

"She thinks you murdered her mother. You have to set that right," he looked at him. "Tell her the truth. She needs to hear it." Jarod let go of his father's hand and got up.

"Jarod," Charles looked up at him. "You really do love her, don't you?"

"Yes," Jarod said.

"Why?" Charles asked sincerely. He wanted to understand the son he hadn't known. He was reaching out to him in every way he knew how, but Charles didn't understand what Jarod and Parker's daughter had in common. Jarod has been the prisoner all his life and she was the daughter of his captor.

Jarod looked across the river for a moment and smiled to himself, thinking about all the memories him and Miss Parker shared from childhood fears to first kisses to adulthood and answers to their own questions of the past. The reasons why he loved her seemed to go on forever in his head, but he stopped his thoughts and looked at his father. There was only reason that really ever mattered to him.

"She is my friend," He answered simply. His father looked at him for a long moment and then nodding, smiling.

"I need some supplies for her shoulder and in case anything else happens," Jarod said quickly. "I'm going to need to go into the nearest town."

"I'll go, Jarod. I know where it is and you can tell me what you need," Charles said, getting up. "I think you should stay with her." He tried to sound casual, but it was obvious to Jarod the thought of being alone with Miss Parker was not inviting to him. Jarod knew he had to get him to talk with her about Catherine Parker. She needed to hear it from him.

Jarod nodded, walked back to the van, wrote down a list of items and handed it to his father.

"Be careful," Jarod said. "The Centre might not be that far behind us."

"I know how to blend, Jarod. I'm been doing it for thirty years," he said, patting his son on the shoulder. "I might even be better than you at that." He smiled at him and walked to the van. Jarod picked up Miss Parker and laid her down on a blanket Greg provided from the van. She started to stir as Charles drove off.

"Jarod..." She said, opening her eyes and slightly moving. Her face contorted in pain, instantly as she felt the wound in her left shoulder. Jarod kneeled down over her.

"It's gonna hurt for a while," he said, softly. "I got the bullet out, but the wound needs time to heal and..." he looked in her eyes. "I didn't have the best equipment to work with." She tried to look over at her shoulder, but after sharp pain hit her again, she laid back giving up that fight.

"I'm going to kill your father," she said, looking at him with pain in her eyes still.

"He went to get some medicine for you. When he comes back, he will tell you the truth about your mother's death," Jarod said, carefully. He reached down and brushed a piece of hair away from her face and looked at her with tenderness in his eyes. He was thoroughly amazed at how beautiful she looked with the sun shining on her face. He gave her a smile and touched her face gently once more. She closed her eyes for a moment.

"Jarod, why did you do it?" She said, opening her eyes again and looking at him. She started to help herself up, when she screamed in pain. The men who had been quietly playing a card game a few feet away, looked up at them. Greg came over.

"Are you all right?" Greg asked looking down at her. He still wasn't over the striking resemblance she had to her mother. Greg nor the others had ever seen Miss Parker. They were rescued before she was around the Centre a lot.

Parker looked up at him and nodded. Jarod gently placed his hand under her and helped her sit up. He knew how much she hated to be looked down at. She bit her lip, held in her scream and pulled herself the rest of the way to sit up and face him.

"This is Greg Darmay," Jarod said, looking up at Greg.

Greg smiled, "it nice to meet you, Miss Parker. You look like her so much." He said, smiling again at her.

"That's what they say. Who are you?" She asked, looking up at him.

"I was one of the children your mother rescued."

"And them?" She said, turning slightly to the small group of men sitting in a circle.

"We were all children of the Centre and all were rescued..."

"By my mother." Parker finished the sentence. "So what is this? A ex-Centre prisoner conference," she said moving slightly to be more comfortable. Jarod held back a laugh.

"I think Jarod should explain it to you." Greg answered walking back to the group.

Parker looked over at Jarod, waiting for the answer. "Well, Jarod, looks like they laid it on you."

He looked at her for a moment. He was about to tell her when he knew he couldn't do it. She wouldn't understand and then the hope of them, or even her and his father getting along would be gone.

"Come on, Jarod. Tell me what's going on?" She looked at him with a tenderness he hadn't seen in her eyes since her mother died. "You got me involved now."

"Amanda, why wouldn't you leave with me?" He finally asked. It was an question Jarod wasn't sure he wanted the answer to. She had all ready hurt him once.

"Jarod," she sighed, looking away. "Why do we have to talk about that?" She said, turning her head sharply back to face him. "We have to think about what the Centre is going to do next. They're going to come after us. I can't believe you took me with you. Now your life is in even more danger and so is mine."

"We were danger with or without each other. I'd rather have you here than at the Centre." Jarod said sitting down completely and looking at her.

"So you can watch me...or protect me." She asked. She wasn't sure how angry he was at her from the graveyard conversation recently.

"I don't need to justify my position, Miss Parker." He said, coldly. "I told you how I felt and I told you why." He started to get up. Parker reached for his hand, fought against the sharp pain that went through her shoulder, and pulled him back down to her.

She looked at him for a long moment before smiling. "I should have left with you that day. Jarod, I was scared."

"And now?" He said, questioning.

"Now," she put her hand to his face. He moved an inch closer. "I knew I was wrong. I'm still scared, but I'd rather be scared with you than be back at the Centre." She tried to be comforting to him, but the thought of her father hit her hard. She looked away.

"What is it?" He said, leaning into her.

"Nothing. I'm just sorry, I didn't listen with my heart," she said. He turned her head back to face him and tears were in her eyes.

"You are the most stubborn, egotistical, unbelievably resourceful, beautiful, wonderful, caring person I have ever mistrusted, hated ...and fell deeply in love with that I have known," he shook his head and smiled at her. She looked at him, cautiously.

"Does that mean you forgive me?"

"Yes." He smiled at her. "But I shouldn't." He said, quickly.

"I know," she said smiling. "I hate you, too." He moved in closer to her. "Very much."

"I know," he said leaning over to kiss her. She kissed him back with an intensity Jarod had never felt before. He stopped and pulled back looking at her. She didn't wait for him to talk again. She placed her hand on the back of his neck and pulled him in, kissing him passionately, stopping her from screaming at the pain in her arm.

The men had stopped their card game and were watching them now. They knew the Centre would be after them all now and there was no turning back. To them, Jarod and Parker's kiss meant the end of life, as they knew it. The whole world felt like it was turning upside down.



The Centre

"You let him take my daughter," Mr. Parker said looking at Lyle.

"Jarod won't hurt her," Lyle said, disgusted.

"That's not who I mean. Charles Holland," he said throwing the photograph of Charles to Lyle, "is Jarod's father. How long do you think he's going to keep her alive?" Parker said. "And if he does, it will be a bargaining chip."

"Forget her. We don't need her."

"She's your sister and they are some people here who would be very upset if she was out there knowing what she'll know," Mr. Parker walked back to his desk and looked out the window. "We need her back. She's dangerous to us out there."

"I don't understand," Lyle said walking up to his father. "She's gone, she left with Jarod, she betrayed the Centre and you. She can be easily killed." He said with a determined look. Mr. Parker turned to his son with intensity.

"I want Jarod back. Jarod wants my daughter." He stepped towards Lyle. "You bring me my daughter and it will bring me Jarod and his pathetic father. I want to win. Do you understand, Lyle? There is no second, only the winner and the loser. Charles got away, Jarod got away, and I be damned if she's going to get away!" He yelled. "You find them and bring them in alive or I'll kill you!"

Lyle looked at his father for the first time with fear. He nodded and quickly went out of the office.

"You will not win this time, Jarod. Even with your their help."

"What are you going to do about it?" Raines said, wheeling in.

"I'm going to do what we always do...win." He said, turning toward Raines. Raines smiled.



Safe House
Maryland

Charles, Jarod, Miss Parker and the men had changed vans again on the way to Maryland. Once they were there, they stayed at a group of small cabins by the water that Greg had said were owned by a friend of his. Greg told them since it was November, it was out of season for the cabins, but they did have heat and he had the key. They agreed it would be a good place to hide for the moment and work out their plan for the fall of the Centre. Of course, Jarod kept this information away from Parker as best he could. He didn't want her to jump to the wrong conclusions.

They decided how to split up the four cabins amongst them. They gave Miss Parker her own and decided Jarod and Charles would be in one. And the other two would be split up with the remaining four men. Charles had picked up some food and the supplies Jarod asked for while he was in town and they had stopped quickly to get supper on the way to Maryland. Jarod spent the trip trying to keep Parker comfortable with her shoulder, she seemed to be doing much better by the time they reached the cabin, since she had slept most of the way there.

"I think you might want to talk now," Jarod said to his father as the others settled into the cabins. He looked over at Parker walking to her cabin and back to his father.

"It can wait," Charles said taking some of the supplies out of the van. Jarod took the box from him and walked away. Charles took a deep breath and started walking toward Parker's cabin. He knocked on the door.

"I'm fine, Jarod," Miss Parker said from inside. Then he heard him walk to the door. "Unless," she started to open the door. "You're here for some other reason." She saw Charles standing in front of her and regretted her last statement. "Sorry," she said quickly. "I thought..." she put her head down and looked back at him.

"We need to talk," he said. She looked at him for a moment, then opened the door wider to let him in.

"Aren't you afraid I'm going to shoot you?" She said after she closed the door and turned to face him.

"Jarod took your gun," he answered.

She looked away from him, a little annoyed and sat down in a chair. Charles turned away and started walking across the floor. She wanted to say something back to him, but she thought about Jarod and decided she owned him enough to listen to what his father had to say. The silence went on unbearably. Finally she couldn't stand it anymore.

"Did you kill her?" She said, calmly, looking at him.

He turned back to face her. "No," he answered. She looked at him trying to judge whether is was telling the truth or not. But she could see it in his eyes. They are just like Jarod's, she thought looking at Charles's brown eyes staring at her. It took her back for a moment, how close the resemblance was. She hadn't taken the time to really notice before.

"Jarod looks like you," she said, trying to be nice.

"And you look exactly like your mother did," He said, walking back to her and sitting down in the chair opposite her.

She looked at him and Charles could tell she was trying to decide what she was going to say next. So he waited for her.

"Mr. Finigore told Jarod and me that you were my mother's killer," she finally said.

Charles looked at her with a surprised expression on his face. Then he looked around the room quickly, trying to imagine why Finigore would say that to either of them.

"Finigore helped your mother with the children. I didn't know about him before the night she died." He said. The memory of that night still haunted him and Parker could see it in his eyes.

"Tell me about what happened. I need to know the truth." She said, almost pleading with him. Charles looked at her for a moment and stood up, starting to walk around the room again.

"My wife and I couldn't have children of our own," He started, turning back to face her. "or so we thought. We had gone to NuGensis, a fertility clinic to try one last time. The testing went on for months and then we got lucky I guess. Margaret become pregnant and then Jarod was born. I had met Dr. Raines at NuGensis while we were there and he told me about his project with the Centre. I had airforce training and he thought it would be useful to this project and to the Centre. So I was hired. Raines project involved testing for children to see if they carried a certain gene that could tell if they were geniuses." Charles looked away from her and sat down on edge of the bed. Parker leaned in. She could tell this was hard for him.

"Anyway, Raines offered to have Jarod tested. Just to see, he had said. But after a few sessions, I knew he saw more in Jarod than just another test subject. My wife was very concerned about Jarod's testing and asked me to stop it. I had my own concerns, so I did. And that's when it happened."

"That's when they stole Jarod?" Parker asked.

He nodded his head and then gave a quick laugh, "that's when they fired me. They said the project was done and I wasn't needed anymore. I believed them." He laughed again and the his voice turned cold. "It still amazes me how much I believed them." He took a deep breath and went on. "Margaret and I went on with our lives, Jarod was a normal little boy. We thought everything was better this way...without the Centre. A few months after, they came and took him out of his bed at night and we never saw him again." He stood up. "I will never forget that night." Parker looked at him with sympathy for the first time. He had lost his son and there was no way to get all those years back and she knew it.

"We searched for him, called the police. Did everything we could, but nothing ever came up. Margaret gave birth to Kyle and again we tried to get on with our life."

"Kyle," Parker said thinking about Jarod's brother. She had so many questions.

"But it wasn't ever going to be the same without Jarod," Charles said, thinking.

"How did you know that Jarod was at the Centre?" Parker asked, carefully. She knew these memories and feelings ran deep, but she had so many questions and this time she wanted the whole story. Not just bits and pieces she and Jarod had come to know so well over the last years.

"We knew. We went on the run and then Kyle was taken also right from our house just like Jarod." Charles walked to the other side of the room turning away from Parker, so she couldn't see the rage in him. "They took both of our sons, Margaret and I knew we had to get away to save Emily."

"Emily?" Parker questioned. Her head was spinning. How do you survive something like that? She thought to herself looking at this man and wondering the life he must have had.

"Our daughter. Emily was born a few years after Kyle. We knew the Centre would be looking for her so we left, we tried to disappear, but several years later another attempt on our lives happened." He looked at her. "This time, your mother came to us. She told us that Jarod was safe and Raines and her husband called him a Pretender. I knew what that meant all too well. It had been Raines's project from years ago. He thought there was a way to make someone 'pretend' be anyone. I asked Catherine about Kyle and she said she knew saw him. She wasn't aware he was even there. She said she would look for him. When I asked what they had done to Jarod, she said he was being taught things. Catherine said there was a physologist, Sydney who was teaching him how to use his real talents." Parker could tell he was reliving his conversation with her mother all over again. "She said they were amazed at the potential he had shown being a natural Pretender not like the others. That's why they had taken him and then Kyle."

"And they thought Kyle was one, too." She said, deep in thought.

"And I knew if they knew about Emily they would be after her," Charles stayed focused on a picture to the left of her before continuing. "You see when I worked with Raines he had developed a drug he had tried to use on several of the children, but at that time it didn't work and he told me he sent the children home. I know now he didn't. I was furious you might imagine, but when Catherine came back several weeks later to tell us about Kyle it was too much for either of us." Parker looked at him and instantly knew what he was talking about. She knew all too well what Raines did to Kyle. "Raines had taken Kyle to be used to create a..." he stopped for a moment.

"A sociopath." Parker answered, he looked at her.

"Yes," Parker could see mistrust in his eyes.

"We found out about Kyle's existence and uncovered some DSAs with Raines' sessions on them," Parker explained. "We brought Kyle in and Jarod rescued Kyle from the Centre. I never saw him again until..." Now Parker stopped, realizing he probably didn't know Kyle was dead.

Charles looked at her and nodded his head, " Jarod told me what happened to him. I never was able to find him before he died. That hurts even more." He looked down and Parker saw tears in his eyes. He took a deep breath and fought against them. "Catherine told us that she was going to get all of the children out of the Centre and placed back with their parents. She said she had a friend. They had been working on it for some time. She had spent a lot of that time trying to find all of the parents. That's what led her to us."

"Why didn't my mother know that you were Jarod's father since you had worked at the Centre?" Parker asked, looking intently at him.


"She wasn't really a part of the Centre at that time. Your father kept her away as much as he could to hide the real projects from her. She never met me while I was there. She didn't seem to know about the children until she had found Timmy. She told us what they did to him."

"Angelo," Parker said, thinking about him

"Catherine visited us or sent messages through a mutual friend of hers, Harriet Tashman. We went into hiding again in fear the Centre would be after us and our little girl. She said that Dr. Raines was trying to clean up the loose ends regarding the children. We knew what that meant and we ran far away from Jarod and the Centre. Your mother was our only hope."

"What happened?" Parker asked. "How did my mother die?"

"We just keep hiding until I become impatient and I wanted to see my sons, it had been too long. So I visited Catherine at the Centre, I knew it was a risk, but I had to try." Parker sat up with anticipation. She had to finally hear it. "When I spoke with your mother that night, I didn't know Raines was watching. He knew about her betrayal to the Centre and had beaten her to keep her silent. Catherine was in fear of her own life and her daughter's," he looked at her, "yours. She told me that Jarod and Kyle would never be freed and that they would kill me first."

"She was protecting herself from Raines," Parker said in thought before looking back at him.

"She walked away from me towards the elevator. I didn't know what to do, I felt so lost and helpless against them. I had taken my gun with me. I didn't know what to expect when I got there. But when I pointed the gun at your mother I wasn't going to kill her. I hadn't even loaded it, I just wanted the answers and I wanted to scare her so that I would get my sons back." He walked over to the chair opposite her again and sat down, looking intently at her. "The shot came from behind me. Catherine turned and then I saw her fall. I turned to see Raines with a gun. I ran as fast as I could away from that place and that's where I met up with Finigore." He stopped for a moment and leaned back. "He told me about your mother's plan to get Jarod out that night and to leave with you the next day." He sat back up. "Finigore told me to leave and never come back. I fought him of course, but he was right. They would only kill me and Margaret and then Jarod and Kyle would never have a family waiting for him. It was the hardest thing I had ever done, but I left. I went back to Margaret and never told her what happened that night." He looked at Parker, pleading in his eyes. "I didn't kill your mother, but I'm responsible for her death. If I hadn't shown up that night, she might still be alive." He looked down at his hands. "I'm sorry." He took a moment before looking up at Parker again. Tears were streaming down her face and she didn't know what to say. She started to breathe quickly and then just broke down completely.

Charles looked at her, crying with her head in her hand. He didn't know what to do. He looked around quickly then stood up.

"I'll go get Jarod," he said and went quickly to the door. He looked back at her for a moment and then stepped outside, closing the door and walking quickly to his cabin. He found Jarod working on his laptop computer.

"Jarod," he said walking inside. "She needs you."

Jarod got up and followed him outside. They walked back to her cabin.

"I told her everything, just like I told you." He said. Jarod stopped at the door, opened it and saw Parker crying harder now.

"It's all right," he turned to his father. "She'll be fine. Thank you." He said, placing a hand on his shoulder and walked inside, closing the door behind him.

Charles stood there for a moment, he could feel the slight rain coming down on him. He didn't know what to think anymore. He hated the Centre, Raines, her father, but he never expected to meet Catherine's daughter. He knew about her from Jarod's escape and how she had been on the team to hunt him down and bring him back. So he formed his own opinions, not ever thinking, they all victims of the Centre. He walked slowly back to his cabin and went inside.

Jarod walked over to Parker and knelt down in front of her, she felt him touch her hand and she looked up quickly at him. She fell into his embrace and cried against him.

"It's all over," Jarod said softly. "Now you know the truth," he stroked her hair, gently, trying to calm her. He started to rock her slightly back and forth and slowly the crying stopped. She leaned against him burying her face in his shoulder. "Come on," he said, softly, as he gently moved back to pick up her chin and look at her. "You need rest. It's been a long night." He helped her stand up and led her to the bed. He laid her down and pulled a blanket over her. He watched her close her eyes, he started to let go off her hand, but she pulled on it and opened her eyes looking at him.

"Don't leave me alone," she said in a whisper. "I need you."

"I'm right here," he walked around to the other side of the bed and laid down next to her. She moved up on his chest, careful to keep her bad shoulder protected. She slowly closed her eyes and fell asleep.

Jarod stroked her hair gently. "I'll never leave you again," he said softly and closed his eyes.



The Centre

Sydney sat in his office staring at the computer screen as the email message popped up. He opened the mail and waited.

Sydney,

Everyone is safe. I hope you are too.

Things have changed a lot for all of us. I hope you will know what I mean when I say everything will change for you also...very soon.

Please take care of yourself.
Jarod

Sydney smiled at the message. It was almost refreshing to get an email from Jarod. He was glad they were all-safe and secretly wondered how Charles and his son were getting along, not to mention Miss Parker. He laughed to himself, thinking about her in that situation, but he knew it was for the best. Broots had taken Parker's advice and left the Centre. No one knew yet, except for Sydney. He assumed Broots and Debbie were far away from Delaware by now. Or at least he hoped so. Sydney clicked delete on the email and turned off the computer screen just as Lyle walked in.

"Need your help, Sydney, we're going after Jarod. He's stopped in Maryland."

Sydney looked at Lyle, "do you honestly believe Jarod would be so close to the Centre?"

"Yes, besides he's done it before, double back on his tracks" he smiled at Sydney. "Let's go," and walked to the door.

"How did you know where to look for him?" Sydney asked.

"Let's just say," Lyle turned around to Sydney, "a little bug told me." He smiled and walked out.

Sydney shook his head with anger and followed Lyle out.



Light was streaming through the cabin, Charles woke up quickly looking over at the empty bed. He had slept in the chair waiting for Jarod to return. When he saw the empty bed he knew he had never returned. He walked outside and saw Greg and Neil walking around.

"Hey, Charlie, do you have the food?" Greg asked when they saw him.

"Yea, it's right over here," Charles said pointing to the cabin.

"Good, I'm starving," Greg said and walked with Neil to the cabin. Charles took a look around quickly and decided it was safe...for now. He looked over at her cabin and tried to push away his thoughts. She could be trusted, he thought to himself. He had looked in her eyes.
He walked back to his cabin to join Greg and Neil.

Parker woke up first, she started to get up and realized Jarod's arm was around her. Slowly the events of last night came back to her. She settled down and laid her head back on his chest.

"Good morning," he said softly. She turned her head to look up at him.

"Good morning," she answered and slowly started to move. "Ow," she said holding her shoulder. He sat up and looked over at the shoulder.

"It's going to hurt for a few more days," he said, apologetically.

"I know, I've been shot before." She stood up and tried to stretch. She had been curled up next to him and the stiffness of one position all night started to creep into her muscles.

He looked at her, watching as she tried not to feel strange about this situation.

"Parker," he said louder. She looked over at him, quickly. "Why are you so nervous around me?" He genuinely wanted to know.

"I'm not," she said and walked in the small bathroom in the cabin.

"Could of fooled me," he said quietly and smiled.

"Parker," he said from the other side of door. "Do you need that shoulder rewrapped?"

"No," she yelled back. "Thank you." She said after a pause.

"You're welcome," he said and walked out of the cabin. He knew he had to convince his father to give up on blowing up the Centre. It was time for them all to move on. They could destroy the Centre easy than trying to go there. Jarod knew that and he had to tell his father.

He walked into the cabin. Greg, Neil and Charles looked up at him. They were sitting around the small table, eating what looked like bags of junk food. Greg smiled when he saw him.

"Want some?" Neil asked, throwing Jarod a bag of Cheetos. Jarod caught it and put it back on the table as he approached it. He looked at his father.

"Have a good sleep?" Greg asked.

"Yes, thank you," Jarod answered back, nicely. Greg and Neil exchanged a look of confusion. Jarod looked at them briefly and shrugged his shoulders. Charles watched him for a moment.

"I'm not going back there," he said, simply looking at his father.

"That's more like it," Charles said, standing up. "Now, let's get to work." He started to walk to the table by the bed. Jarod held his arm.

"That's not what I mean," Jarod said. Charles turned to face him, Jarod let go of his arm. "I can't allow you to do this. The Centre needs to be shut down, I agree with all of you on that point, but we are not going to kill innocent people to make that happen. It's wrong, even if you can't see it. If you blew up the Centre you would have killed Amanda with it. You see now, she's not your enemy, but none of you would have thought twice about any of them. You're angry for what they did, so I am. You want them to pay for it, so do I." He looked over at Greg and Neil before turning back to his father. "But, Dad, I can't blow it up and walk away."

"Jarod, don't you see it's them talking. You spent your life there and they brainwashed you...so did she." Charles took a step towards his son. Jarod's eyes turned dark. "I know that she was a victim of it as well. I understand now what you meant. But she still is the Centre, she helped them get you back and she'll help them again if they push her. You know that. You just won't see it."

"I was my life they took. Over thirty years of it. My life!" He yelled at his father.

"They took all our lives," Charles said back to him. "See what they have done to you. I don't trust her. I understand how you feel," he touched Jarod's shoulder, Jarod pulled away. Charles looked at him. "Jarod..."

"You don't understand how I feel," Jarod backed up a step. He looked at Greg and Neil. "You will never understand how I feel."

He ran out of the cabin and into the rain. He walked in a circle. His emotions changed from angry to sorrow to love to hate. They whirled in his head until he couldn't stand it. He stood with his head back, letting the rain fall on him. He screamed, a loud anguished scream. Parker ran to the window and looked out at him. She remembered that scream. Charles, Greg and Neil opened the cabin door and stood looking at him. Standing all alone in the rain. Charles looked down and walked back into the cabin, he didn't know what to do anymore. He felt like Jarod was lost to him. Jarod was right he didn't understand.

Parker flew out of the cabin and ran to him.

"Jarod," she said. "Jarod..." his head stay back as the rain fell harder. "Jarod!" She yelled at him. His head snapped back to look at her. "Stop it!" She screamed then she hugged him as tight as she could. He felt her against him and wrapped his arms around tightly holding on to his last hope of happiness, it felt like to him. She pulled him tighter.

"You're not alone," she said, looking up at him. "You're not alone." She repeated over and over again. Finally he let go of the embrace to touch her face and wipe off the rain drops running down. "You're not alone," she said softly. He leaned down and kissed her. Greg and Neil exchanged another look and then looked back at Charles for a moment. He was sitting in the chair, with his head in his hands.

"Charlie," Greg said carefully walking to him. "You should see this," he pointed to the couple. Charles stood up walked to the door, looked at them kissing and walked back inside the cabin. "I think she can be trusted," Greg said following Charles. "I think she loves him."

"Then you're as foolish as Jarod," Charles said.

"Hey, we got problems," Neil yelled from the door. Charles and Greg raced to the door as the two Centre cars pulled up. The rest of the men had come out of the cabins seeing the same sight.

"Come on," Charles said running out the door. "In the woods now, go!" He yelled at the men.

Parker and Jarod turned and looked at them and then heard the cars.

"Run!" Charles screamed at Jarod. Jarod took Miss Parker's hand and started running towards the rest of the men. They caught up with them and made it to the riverbank. Charles was at the back now.

Parker ran behind Jarod as they saw Lyle and sweepers in the woods. "Come on," he yelled back at her. She picked up her pace again and then slipped on the muddy bank and fell down. Jarod stopped and looked back, she was a few feet behind him. He started to come back, when he saw Charles running up to her.

"I got her!" He yelled at Jarod. Jarod saw his father help her up and they all started running again. Jarod heard the shot, saw Charles run up to him, sliding to the place the men were and saw Parker laying on the muddy ground face first unconscious. Jarod got up from the hiding place and started to run. Charles grabbed his arm and pulled him down, holding him firmly. He struggled against the hold. He could see Lyle coming towards Parker.

"I can get her! Let go!" Jarod screamed.

"No, not this time," Charles said and pushed his son to the ground. "You're not risking your life for hers." He called to the men and they held him down.

"What are you doing?!" Jarod screamed at him. The men started to drag him and hold him as they went down the riverbank. Jarod hit two, but they overpowered him quickly. "Stop it! We can't leave her there!" He screamed at his father.

"You want her, Jarod!" Lyle yelled at the river. "Come and get her!" Jarod could hear him laugh.

Jarod hit the knees of the men of either side of him, bringing them down. Then he punched Greg who was holding him now. He wasn't going to leave her there. He promised her. He didn't think and started running. He didn't see Charles coming up behind him. He felt him grab him from behind and then Jarod felt the butt of the gun. The world went black again.
"What are you doing?" Greg yelled at him.

"Keep going," Charles yelled back, picked up Jarod over his shoulder and followed the men.

Lyle kicked over Parker's body, she was filled with mud and blood came from the bullet he had shot in her leg. She moved slightly. He leaned down.

"Don't worry, sis, we're going to take good care of you. We weren't want you to die out here. Dad needs you." He said, holding her face. "You're a ticket to Jarod." He stood up and kicked her hard, she moaned. "That was for your little betrayal the other night," he said, smiling. He leaned down again. This time he smacked her across the face. She moaned and tried to move. "That was for all those punches," Lyle pulled her up by her hair. "Now walk!" He screamed at her. She opened her eyes and brought her knee up to Lyle's groin. He doubled over in pain.

"And that was for Jarod, you slimy, son of a bitch!" She punched him with her good arm and then winced over in pain. She tried to grab a branch on the ground, but she couldn't get it before Lyle was up and dragging her by her hurt leg. She screamed and tried to kick him. The sweeper came running down the hill.

"Get her, you idiots!" He screamed at them. They moved to Parker and cornered her, holding her on the ground. Lyle came over and put his foot on her wounded shoulder, pressing down, she looked away, screaming. "That's right Parker, scream. No one can hear you." Her head snapped back to Lyle quickly, looking at him with complete and utter anger.

"You still lost Jarod," she said in a low voice that was covered with pain and a touch of satisfaction. "You'll never get him."

He motioned for them to pick her up. He walked up to her.

"It's just a matter of time." Lyle took her chin holding it firmly. "Like Dad says we have what he wants, don't we, sis?" She pulled her face away and bit his finger. "You bitch," he yelled and slapped her hard with his hand. Her head went down and the sweepers carried up back up the hill.


Jarod woke up and instantly was on his feet, ignoring the headache and trying to stay focused. He looked around and saw they were all at a new place. It was some broken down house, he figured from the look of it. He didn't see the men or his father. He turned around and his father was standing in front of him. He lunged for him and he hit the ground.

"Why!" He screamed. "You left her to die!" He started hitting his father with such rage.

"Jarod, stop!" Charles keep yelling, but Jarod didn't hear anything, he just saw Parker laying on the ground and Lyle coming up to her. Finally Greg, Neil and Henry pulled him off Charles. They pulled him backwards, Charles got up. He struggled but they held him tight this time.

"Calm down." Charles said to Jarod. "We had to leave her we didn't have a choice. Don't you see, Jarod, she led them right to us." He walked up to him.

"No," Jarod said looking at him. His face was still full of that rage.

"How else could they have known we were there?" Charles asked him. "Think, Jarod. Every time she shows up, so does the Centre." Jarod stopped struggling, pulled away from the men. They tried to stop him, but Charles motioned for them to let go. Jarod ran to the door and outside, running to the back of the house and down the hill in front of him. He finally stopped at the bottom and fell down.

"No!" He screamed into the sky. He held his head and stood up, walking in a circle, thinking. She would never have done it. She wouldn't, he kept saying to himself. Trust. He sat down again and calmed himself. "No," he said outloud. "Listen with your heart." He closed his eyes and thought about what had happened and how they would know where he was. Parker had been with him the entire time, he couldn't have been her. They must have bugged her when they sent her in, Jarod thought quickly. The image of Parker lying on the ground came back to him. He put his head in his hands. "I'm sorry, Amanda. I'm sorry." He said to himself. After a few minutes, he looked up and decided what he had to do. No decision was any clearer than this one and he didn't care if they agreed to it. It wasn't their choice anymore, he said to himself and got up, walking back up the hill and to the house. She was right, he thought as he walked into house and the group waiting for him, they would just keep going after him. This had to end.


The Centre

Lyle walked into the Centre with Sydney close on his heels.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Sydney yelled at him. Something he had been doing since Lyle had dragged Miss Parker back into the waiting car at the cabins.

"Don't start," he said turning on him and pointing a finger at him. "Or you'll end up like her. Now, shhh." He said, sharply. Sydney stopped walking as Lyle headed for Mr. Parker's office.

Sydney looked down the hall at where they took Parker and decided he could be of better help to her at this moment. If they would let him in to see her...

"Done," Lyle said walking into his father's office covered in mud.

Mr. Parker was sitting. He turned from the camera screen which showed Miss Parker strapped down and bleeding, to Lyle.
"Clean her up. We don't want her to bleed to death, do we?" He said to Lyle. "And clean yourself up." He turned back to the screen, "you look like hell." Lyle walked out of the office.

Raines wheeled himself in past Lyle. He looked at Mr. Parker.

"It's done. We have her and Jarod will be coming soon," Mr. Parker said looking at him.

"With his father." Raines stated.

"He'll be out for blood," Mr. Parker said in a harsh tone.

"He can't kill me," Raines smiled. "It's not in his programming." He turned around and wheeled out. Mr. Parker watched him closely. He was starting to feel uncomfortable about this arrangement.


Parker opened her eyes as two doctors took off the straps that held her. She instantly tried to fight, but the two sweepers make certain she didn't get a chance. She felt pain from everywhere on her body and she knew she had lost a lot of blood. She hardly raised her hand before he fell back down.

"Just let them take care of you, Parker," Sydney said coming up next to her.

"Sydney," she said weakly, looking for him like a lost child. Sydney reached out and held her hand.

"You'll be all right, Parker." He said, soothing. She nodded her head and passed out again as they laid her on the table.

"Damn you," Sydney said to himself and looked over at the camera. He watched as the doctors tended to her wounds. He knew her father was watching. He felt sickened by all of it and he knew he had to get word to Jarod before he came charging in here.

"Don't think about trying to warn him," Raines said, wheeling into the room. "You can't save him now."

"Do you know what you have done?" Syndey asked walking up to him.

"Secured our capture of Jarod," Rained answered.

"You declared war," Sydney said, looking at him. "You pushed him too far this time. If Jarod goes over the edge no one will stop him." He walked closer to him. "No one." He emphasized and walked out.

Raines looked over at Miss Parker and smiled. "Either way, he'll come back to the Centre."

END OF PART III



End Notes:

The end is near! Chapter Four finale!

 

Enjoy!

Chapter 4 by Allyson Diana

Moonlight & Roses

Allyson Diana 

PART FOUR:


The Centre

Miss Parker paced her cell, ignoring the pain shooting through her injured leg. She knew she shouldn't be walking, but she had to ignore all the pain if she was going to live through this. She waited for her father showed up; somehow she knew he would have to eventually. She knew it all only been a day since her capture, she had been out most of the time, but she was slowly recovering and the look of her face wasn't hiding the complete anger she felt deep down inside her. The door buzzed open and instead of seeing her father, Lyle walked in with an air of confidence and a satisfied grin on his face. She fought the urge to just lunge for him and rip the smile off his face right then. But she knew she had to be smarter than that and to control any emotions around them. They could use them against her.

She looked at him with cold eyes, "come to finish the job," she said.

"Parker, Parker, Parker," he said walking up to her. "You should have known better than to betray the Centre. Didn't you own pursuit of Jarod tell you what we are capable of?" He said, still smiling. "Did you like being the hunted instead of the hunter," he stopped in front of her.

"Had a blast," she said sarcastically. He looked away and she could tell he wanted to hit her, but something stopped he looked up at the cameras quickly before turning back to her. She laughed.

"Daddy watching," she said, staring at him. "Can't hurt the bait, can you?" She shook her head.

"Watch yourself, Parker. There are other ways that you can dealt with," he said in a low tone. She knew what the Centre was capable of and could imagine what he meant.

"So why isn't he here yet, huh?" Parker said, taunting. "Could he be I'm not worth it to Jarod?" She smiled. "Guess you screwed up again?"

"Oh, he'll be here. I guarantee. He won't let you die for him. That's the one thing we can count on. You have his trust...and his heart." Lyle looked at her disgusted then he leaned in. "Did you like it? Was it worth thirty years of waiting?" He threw her a smug smile and then turned toward the door.

"Where was the bug, asshole?" She said from behind him.

"On your jacket," he stated and threw her a knowing smile. "I imagine that Jarod and his father are at odds with each other about trusting you." He shook his head. "It's a shame that you could cause so many problems...for Jarod." He walked to the door. "I'll let you think about that, Parker." He opened the door and walked out.

Parker turned away from the door and let the pain from her leg hit her. She sat down quickly and tried to hide it from her face. She scanned the room and looked up at the camera in the corner. She stared at it for a long moment before closing her eyes.

"Just let go, Jarod," she whispered to herself, but she all ready knew he was on his way.



Jarod checked the flashlights on the table turning them off and on and then placed them in the sack next to him. He took a small tool kit, opened it and held up a small screwdriver, looking at it, before placing it back in its case and then in the bag with the flashlight. He turned the bomb to reveal a timer. After Jarod dismantled the bomb, laying the pieces of the table, he proceeded to put it back together. He placed a small computer chip in the timer mechanism before replacing that to the bomb itself. He took the silver pen off the table and looked at the small red timer on the pen's side. Jarod synchronized the pen timer with the timer on the bomb. He carefully placed the bomb into the bag, stuck the pen in his shirt pocket and smiled.

"Jarod," Greg said as he saw him come up the stairs, "there's someone here for you." He looked towards the man standing behind him.

"Broots," Jarod said, smiling. "Thank you for coming."

"You said it was about Miss Parker. They kidnapped her," Broots said, walking over to him. Jarod and Broots sat down at the table. Greg turned and left the room, while they talked.

"I need your help. The Centre wants to use her for bait and you're the only one who knows the entire security system there."

"I designed it," he said, looking at Jarod.

"I want to override it and control it from here," he said, taking out the laptop computer. "I want you to control it. Can you do it?"

"You're going back to the Centre?" He said not really believing he was involved in this.

"I have to get her out, warn Sydney and place this in the Centre," Jarod said, looking at him with those intense eyes. He placed the blueprints from his father on the table and waited as Broots stared at them for a moment. Jarod then reached into his bag and pulled out the bomb and placed that on top of the blueprints.

"You're going to blow up the Centre?" Broots looked at him more shocked than before. "Are you crazy?"



"I'm starting to think I am Mr. Broots," he leaned over and pushed some keys on the computer screen and turned to Broots. "I need you to set the bomb when I tell you from here." He pointed to the screen, which showed a timer starting at 14:00. "It's got a timing on it and we will have exactly fourteen minutes to get everyone out before it blows." He looked at Broots, who was still staring at him. "I don't have a choice this time." He looked around the room, quickly and then back at Broots.

"Why?" Broots asked, wondering how Jarod could blow up the Centre. He never seemed like that kind of person to Broots; regardless of how little contract he had actually had with Jarod. He wasn't destructive.

"I need to get in and find Miss Parker, warn Sydney and then get out before the bomb explodes." Jarod said. He leaned in closer to Broots pulling out the silver pen and showing it to him. "This is my fail-safe, Broots." He pushed the pen cap and the timer started. Broots looked at him, wide-eyed. He pushed the cap again and the timer stopped on both the computer and the pen. "It disables the bomb's timing. No one knows about this. I'd like to keep it that way."

"Don't you think it's dangerous?" Broots said, staring at Jarod.

"Very. But they have to believe the bomb will detonate. That's the only way for them to be safe and for me to take care of things..." he looked away from Broots. Broots was just starting to understand what was going on.

"You're taking on the Centre alone? Raines? Mr. Parker?" He said in a low whisper. "Lyle?"

"I owe them," he threw him another smile. "Besides, I'll have Miss Parker with me." He said and then got up. "So, Mr. Broots, are you in?"

Broots looked at the blueprints again. He thought about Debbie, Miss Parker and then, he turned back to Jarod. "Tell me what you want me to do?" Jarod smiled, Broots smiled back at him.

"I want to see what the Centre sees," he said. "You need to patch into the security surveillance cameras, so that you can keep an eye on Raines, Mr. Parker, the sweepers, Lyle and...my father." Broots looked at him, quickly.

"How do I contact you while you're in?" Broots asked. Jarod pulled out a small ear device and a walkie-talkie. He placed the walkie-talkie in front of Broots. "You talk there," he said pointing to it, "and I'll hear," he held up the ear device.

"All right, when are you going?"

"Tonight," Jarod said.

"Tonight?" Broots looked at the computer screen and quickly starting pushing some buttons.

"Thank you, Mr. Broots," Jarod said before leaving the room.

"All this for Miss Parker. Man, am I out of the loop." He said still looking at the screen.

Jarod walked into the living room. All the men were waiting for him. Charles stood in the back, turning to him as he walked in.

"All set. Mr. Broots will keep an eye on the cameras." He looked at each of them. "The bomb will be set from here and we'll have fourteen minutes to get out after it's set."

"How will we know when it's set?" Greg asked.

"Here," he threw them each a watch. "Synchronize this." He looked at his father. "You'll place the bomb in the Centre's main electrical core, located on SL 26. If everything goes according to your plan. You set the timer to start at exactly 9:00 PM. At 9:14 everyone is either out or dead," Jarod added a harsh tone to his last statement. His father looked at him. In the last few hours, his son had changed from not wanting to blow up the Centre to offering not only his help, but also his expertise, and his friend. Or so, they thought Broots was no one knew he had been the other team member at the Centre to hunt Jarod down.

"How will you find her?" Greg asked Jarod, putting on his watch.

"I'll know where to look," he answered.

"Jarod, I still think I should go with you," Charles said walking to his son.

"It's better this way," was all he said and walked to the hallway. He turned back to the group for a moment. "We leave for the Centre in twenty minutes." Jarod looked at his father once more before walking down the hallway to the back door, taking the sack with him.



The Centre
Mr. Parker's Office


"Where is he?" Raines hissed through his breathing tube. Mr. Parker stood behind the desk, looking at the screen showing Miss Parker sleeping.

A flashing red light came on the screen in the far-left corner.

"He's here," Raines said, almost smiling as he quickly wheeled himself out of the office. "I'll have the sweepers waiting." He added while Mr. Parker nodded and sat down in his chair to watch.



Greg and Charles climbed down through the elevator shaft quickly. They approached SL-26 hatchway. They pried open the doors on the elevator and stepped into the dark hallway. Greg turned on his flashlight and followed Charles toward the main electrical core.

Neil, Henry and Peter proceeded through the ventilation system toward the rooms the knew so well as children. They stopped at each vent looking in before going to the next. Finally they saw him, sitting in a lifeless room, staring out into space.

"Angelo," Neil whispered from the vent. "Angelo."

Angelo looked up quickly toward the vent as they pushed it open and jumped down.

"Daughter...sad." Angelo said pointing to a computer screen. They didn't know he had been looking at something. They looked at the screen. "Daughter...sad," Angelo tapped on the screen, showing Miss Parker in her cell.

"You have to come with us," Neil said, taking Angelo's arm. He pulled away and pointed to the screen, shaking his head no. "Daughter...save." He said in a childlike voice. "Jarod.."

"Yes, he's coming," Henry said, trying to sooth Angelo like a older brother. "He'll save Miss Parker."

"Save...daughter." Angelo said, smiling at them.

"But we have to go now, Angelo." Neil said softly. "So Jarod can save Miss Parker....daughter." Angelo stared at them for a moment and then got up quickly and climbed into the ventilation shaft.

"Guess he understands," Neil said to the other two, "and it looks like he knows how to get out," he added. They all followed Angelo into the shaft.



Jarod climbed into the elevator shaft and started his way to where Broots told him Parker was being kept. He looked at his watch, quickly. It read 8:59.

"Almost time, Jarod," he heard Broots say. "30 seconds. Go up to the next floor," Broots continued directing Jarod. "Ok, open the elevator at this level." There was a pause and then Broots shouted into Jarod's ear. "No, no, no. Go back. Sweepers with Raines."

Jarod stood at the door for a moment.

"Ok, they past. Go now!" Broots said, quickly. Jarod responded opening the doors and stepping into the hallway. "Ok, coast is clear. Jarod.." Jarod looked down at his watch. "Timer started," Broots said.

Jarod ran down the hallway to the door at the end. He stood at the door waiting for Broots.

"Almost there. Hold on." There was a slight pause. "Got it. 2-2-5-6-8," Broots said. Jarod could tell the stress was hitting Broots.

Jarod punched in the code and the door buzzed open, he looked around and stepped inside. He looked around, but he didn't see her. "Behind you," he heard from Broots. He turned around quickly hitting the first sweeper in the stomach. Miss Parker bit the arm of the one holding her and hit his stomach hard with her elbow.

Parker looked over at him.

"Miss me?" He smiled at her, quickly. "Come on, we have to go."

She didn't hesitate she just ran like hell following him. He opened the door, looked out quickly and then ran down the hall. The sweepers got up and followed them drawing their guns.

"You better have brought my gun," she yelled at him in front of her. He turned and threw her the gun. "Yes!" She said quickly and turned back to the sweepers, shooting.

"Come on!" Jarod yelled back at her. She shot a few more times and then followed Jarod around the corner.

"This way!" She said, pointing to the left. Jarod started to tell her no, when Lyle showed up behind Miss Parker with a gun pointed at her. "Come on!" She said to him. He was frozen in place for a moment.

"Don't!" Jarod yelled at Lyle, raising his gun. Parker turned around and saw Lyle. She raised her gun to him, but he grabbed it from her hand and pulled her arm backing her up to protect him with her.

"Just shoot him!" She yelled at Jarod.

"Shoot me and she dies," Lyle said, moving backwards. Parker looked to the right and saw the sweepers coming down the hallway.

"Jarod, run!" She screamed at him, the same time Broots screamed in his ear. Lyle pulled her quickly around a corner. Jarod started to go after them, but the sweepers had all ready cornered him. They held their guns to him. Jarod looked around quickly and then let out a powerful scream, banging against the walls uncontrollably. The sweepers just stood there looking at him like he was crazy.

"Jarod, what are you doing?" Broots said into his ear. Jarod keep banging his fists from wall to wall, until he kicked his leg quickly out and knocked one sweeper down. He turned and punched the other one, he went down. He stood over them, taking their guns.

"I would have thought you've both seen a crazed lunatic before," he said and then took off following where Lyle and Parker went.

He looked at his watch while he ran. It read 9:05 PM.

"She's in there," Broots said, quickly. Jarod stopped at the door. "2-5-6-8-9," Broots said giving Jarod the code for the door. He stepped inside holding his gun. He saw Lyle standing next to a huge circular tank where Miss Parker was inside. He stepped in closer. Lyle held his gun on Jarod.

"No, no loverboy. It's over now. I've got her and now we have you. In just a matter of seconds, sweepers will be coming through that door," he moved a lever, "this time there won't be an escape route. Jarod looked around the tank and knew exactly where she was. It was the same tank Lyle had put him in when he experimented with life and death. The tank would cut off the air and then she would die.

"Let her go," Jarod said, looking at Miss Parker gasping for breath and banging on the tank. "It's me you want."

"That's right. But we don't really need her, once we have you," Lyle answered back smiling.

Jarod raised his gun to Lyle and then turned to the door and shot at the circuit box.

"Guess, it's just you and me, Lyle." Jarod said back to him.

Parker banged on the tank again, harder.

"Now what?" Lyle said holding the lever. "I'm the only one with the code to open this. If you shoot me, she dies."

Jarod held his gun on Lyle. He stared at him.

"Guess you lose again Jarod." Lyle laughed. "Bye, sis." He pulled the lever all the way down and turned to look at her. Jarod fired. Lyle fell from the gun shot in his leg.

"Not this time, you sick bastard," Jarod said running to the tank and taking Lyle's gun from him. He looked at the codepad. Parker looked up at him. He could tell she had no air left.

Broots tried to find the code, but it wasn't coming up. "I can't locate it, Jarod. It's not one of the Centre codes in their system." Jarod watched Miss Parker's eyes close. "I'm sorry."

"No!!!" He screamed and shot at the code pad. After four shots the tank door opened.

"Or you could that," he heard Broots say in his ear. Jarod worked quickly. "Jarod, seven minutes," he said.

Jarod pulled the slab out of the tank. Miss Parker started breathing and coughing. He took her hand.

"You're going be fine," he said looking at her.

"I assume that means I have to get up," she said opening her eyes, slowly and trying to speak, but her voice was low and raspy.

"If you want to live," he answered back.

"This is just too beautiful," Lyle said from the floor, struggling to stand. Parker looked over and instantly flew off the table, steadying herself quickly. Jarod didn't even notice her taking his gun. He just watched as she stood over Lyle with the gun pointing to his head.

"You're about to die, Lyle, be happy you saw something that beautiful before you do," she leaned down staring at him.

"You'd be a fool to kill me," he stared at her threatening.

"I'd be a fool not to, you sick, twisted, useless, annoying, greedy piece of shit," she spat at him, holding the gun an inch away from his scull.

"No," Jarod said, looking at her. "Not this way." He was judging her look at him.

"Saved by the humanitarian," Lyle said smiling at Parker.

Jarod walked over to them and stared at Lyle. "You're not human," he said viciously. Lyle's smile faded as Jarod pulled up Lyle with one hand and threw him on the slab. Parker moved to the table and held his arms down while Jarod tied them with his rope to the slab.

"You weren't dare," Lyle said looking at Jarod. "You can't live with yourself if you kill someone. You'd be no better than me, or Raines, or even Parker here. You'd be a murderer, Jarod." He looked at Jarod with knowing eyes, "is that what Sydney would have wanted?" Parker hit him hard with the butt of the gun, he went unconscious.

"Thank you," Jarod said looking up at Parker.

"No problem." Parker answered, smiling. They pushed the slab back into place and closed the tank cover.

"You short circuited the controls, he'll be able to get out." Parker said, looking at Jarod. He smiled and looked at the lever.

"He won't know that," Jarod opened the door, hit his face a few times until he woke up, shut the door again. Parker pushed the lever down. Lyle started fighting and banging on the glass. Parker smiled.

"No time to watch, we have to leave." Jarod said, looking at her and taking her arm.

Parker looked back at him and held up her gun. "No, I'm going after my father...and Raines. That son of a bitch is going to pay finally for my mother's death." Parker started out of the room when she saw sweepers running down the hallway.

"There they are," one of the sweepers said coming towards her. She fired hit one and closed the door.

"We're not going out that way," Parker said. Jarod looked at his watch. 9:09, five minutes left, he thought while Broots counted it down in his ear.

Jarod looked at Parker and then up to the vent system. "Come on," he said. She ran up to him. Jarod picked her up and she climbed on his shoulders to reach the vent. She hit the gun against the grating and he fell down, Jarod almost dropped her trying to side step the grate as it fell. She pulled herself up into the vents. Then she looked down and realized Jarod wasn't going to get up.

"Jarod!" she yelled at him.

"Go! I'll meet you on the outside."

"Go! Go where?" She screamed back.

"Follow the vents up, it will lead you out." She looked at him. "Go Parker!" She nodded and started down the small space in the vents to freedom.

Jarod looked around and heard the sweeper coming to the door. He hid behind the tank and waited.

"They were in here," one of the sweepers said, looking over at the tank. They saw Lyle inside. He opened the tank and Lyle started coughing and choking.

"Are you all right, sir." The sweeper said. Lyle looked at him after his coughing fit stopped.

"I want them dead," Lyle said, slowly getting up.

"They went there," the sweeper pointed to the open vent shaft.

"Then go up there and get them," Lyle said walking to the door. "And don't think, just fire." He added going out of the room.

Jarod stood up from his hiding space as the sweepers stood around the vent shaft looking up.

"Now, how do you suppose they got up there?" Jarod said, holding his gun on them. They turned around quickly at the sound of the voice. "Ok, boys. What's it gonna be? Personally, I think you should give up. I'm insane. I could kill of you...for fun." Jarod said, smiling at them. They dropped their weapons and stared at him. "Good choice. Now I want all of you to turn around and leave the Centre. There's a bomb. Now don't panic, but it's going to blow up in less than three minutes. Do I have that right?" He said looking up.

"3:25 seconds," Broots said in his ear. Jarod smiled.

"Who are you talking to?" The sweeper asked.

"My friend," Jarod said seriously. They all looked at each other, indicating to Jarod they really that he was crazy. "I talk to him all the time. He tells me who to kill." Jarod said, moving toward them. "Now go, before he says to kill one of you." They all ran out the door.

Jarod almost laughed as he went out the door. "Sydney," he said to himself and ran down the hallway the opposite way of the sweepers. "How much time, Broots?"

"One minute, thirty-five...thirty-four. Jarod get out," Broots said loudly in his ear.

"Stop worrying, Broots. Is Parker out?" My father? Greg? The others with Angelo?" Jarod said, still running.

"Greg and your father are out. I don't see Angelo or the others." There was a pause before he continued. "Wait a minute, there they are. They're out."

"All of them," Jarod said quickly. Jarod could hear Broots take a breath.

"I don't see Miss Parker or your father" Broots finally said.

"I'm not surprised," Jarod said under his breath, but the microphone under his shirt picked it up and Broots heard it.

"Jarod!" Broots yelled.

"Sweepers?" Jarod said, stopping.

"No," was all Broots said and Jarod looked into Sydney's office and saw what Broots did.

Charles was standing across from Sydney behind the desk, pointing a gun at him. Sydney was sitting in a chair.

"You stole my sons! Told Jarod that his parents died. You used him all his life," Charles yelled at him. Jarod could tell his father wasn't going to back down. He knew that look all too well, it's the same way he felt against Damon.

"Jarod, it's time," Broots said, nervously. "Fifty seconds left."

"Dad," Jarod said carefully. Charles turned to him, quickly and then focused back on Sydney who was looking at Jarod now.

"Jarod," Sydney started.

"Shut up! Don't talk to him. He's not your son!" Charles yelled back at Sydney.

"Dad, the bomb will detonate in less than forty seconds. We have to get out." Jarod slowly walked to his father.

"No, Jarod. I am ending this, right here."

"Sydney's not your enemy. He taught me. I know this is hard to hear," Jarod slowly reached in his coat pocket and pushed the pen cap. He heard Broots sigh in his ear.

"Timer stopped," Broots said.

"But you have to hear this. Sydney was the only father I had really known for all those years. I wish I had known you, but now we get another chance. Don't start it with another death on either of our hands." Sydney watched Jarod as he talked. It moved him to see Jarod and his father finally together.

"Charles," Sydney said, looking back at Charles. "I can't understand your pain, but I thought you and Margaret had died. They lied to me, too. I didn't know you were still alive until a few days ago. You have to believe that." Sydney and Charles stared at each other for a moment.

"I don't have to believe anything you say. You all ready brain washed my own son. You let Kyle die. I have no reason to believe you, Sydney." Charles said his name, sarcastically and lifted his gun higher.

"No!" Jarod yelled and ran toward them, standing between his father and Sydney.

"Jarod, don't do this," Charles said, pleading with him.

"You want to shoot him? You have to go through me. Dad, don't do this. Amanda was all ready hurt from this rage. Don't let there be more." Charles stared down Jarod and slowly let the gun drop to the floor. Jarod picked it up and looked at Sydney.

"Sydney you need to get out now. Take my father with you, please." Charles looked at Sydney.

Sydney nodded, Jarod headed for the door. "Jarod, where are you going?"

"Take care of another problem," Jarod said and ran out the door.

Sydney walked up to Charles.

"This doesn't change anything. You took away everything," Charles said, looking at him.

"Jarod has grown up into quite an impressive man, Charles." Sydney said, sincerely.

"Everything he is, is because of you," Charles answered back. Sydney could hear the hurt in his voice.

"Some things can't be taught. They only come from the child's parents," Sydney said and walked out. Charles looked at him for a moment and walked out behind him.



Jarod stepped out of the elevator and into the hallway to Mr. Parker's office. He ran down the hall, stopped at the door, lifted his gun and hit it open.

The scene before him was worse than he had just experienced. Miss Parker had Raines at gunpoint. Her father had her at gunpoint and they all looked to be at a standstill.

"Looks like we got what we wanted," Mr. Parker said as he looked over at Jarod coming in. Jarod pointed his gun on Mr. Parker.

"Jarod, back off. He's mine." Parker said, staring at Raines.

"She's insane," Raines said.

"You should know all about insanity," Parker spat back at him. Jarod looked at Miss Parker for a moment and saw the blood stains on her pant leg. Her leg wound reopened.

"Did you stop the bomb, Jarod?" Mr. Parker asked, keeping the gun on his daughter.

"What bomb?" Parker said, looking at her father for a moment before turning back to Raines.

"Jarod's father placed a bomb in SL-26. Didn't he, Jarod?" Mr. Parker smiled. "Jarod didn't tell you, angel, because he knew you wouldn't understand. Isn't that right, Jarod?" Mr. Parker looked at Jarod, smiling. Miss Parker turned to Jarod slightly and then back to Raines.

"Shut up, Daddy!" Parker yelled at him. "I don't need you anymore. You made it apparent after you found your son. I was just a problem, wasn't I? I told you, you should have let me leave when you were given the chance." She smiled. "Now, you're both going to pay."

"Parker, don't do this. It won't bring her back." Jarod said, walking slowly to her, keeping his gun on Mr. Parker.

"No, it won't. But it will make me feel good." She cocked the trigger and held her arm out.

"You pull the trigger, Amanda and I kill you next." Mr. Parker said, harshly.

"And Jarod kills you next," Parker stay focused on Raines. "That works fine for me. If I die at least it won't be in the back, like my mother."

"Your mother got what was coming to her," Mr. Parker said angrily. "She could never be controlled. She knew the consequences of her actions." Parker turned to her father with a horrified look on her face.

"What?" Parker said, staring at him. He put the gun down at his side and looked at her.

"Your father told me to take care of the situation that night," Raines said from his wheelchair. "The night your father," he turned to Jarod, "come to see Catherine."

"You had her killed," Parker said, amazed and disgusted at the same time. "You..." Her voice faltered for a moment. Jarod started towards her. She turned quickly to her father holding the gun on him. "All my life....I always believed he," she motioned to Raines, "made you turn against her. That deep down you really loved her," she moved closer to him pointing the gun in his face. "But you never loved her." She walked close to his face. "Or me, did you?" She yelled at him. Mr. Parker's face changed to fear as he watched her anger rise. "You're not even capable of that." She laughed slightly. "Jarod was right. All along. I just didn't want to believe it. That's why you kept us apart all those years. You knew he would turn me against you. You knew that." She started circling her father. "So you made certain Jarod and I would hate each other. You brought me back to this hell, so we'd be enemies." She stood in front of him. "But just like with my mother, you were wrong. You couldn't control her any more than me." She leaned into him. "Only I was smarter than Mom, wasn't I? I chose better friends." She turned quickly to her right and shot the oxygen tank tube. The oxygen was cut off from Raines' tube. "You're done," she said turning back to her father. "Don't ever come after us. You don't have a daughter." She turned away and walked to Jarod. "Come on, let's go. There is nothing left here for us." She walked past him. Jarod looked over Raines, gasping for breath and her father. He saw the gun raised and he reacted, shooting his first. Mr. Parker fell. Miss Parker turned around sharply.

"He was going to shoot you," Jarod said, simply and ran to Mr. Parker on the ground. She followed him and looked down at her father, dead.

"In the back..." she shook her head slightly.

"I'm sorry, Amanda," Jarod said, taking her hand. Raines started choking and reaching for the oxygen. Parker let go of Jarod's hand and kicked the tank off the wheelchair.

"Not this time."

"This is not over," he said in between coughs and breaths. "The Centre...always wins." They watched him take his last breath and then everything went silent. They stood looking at Raines for a long moment. Parker reached over and held Jarod's hand. They turned to each other.

"Come on, Jarod. Let's get out of here." She said, softly. They walked out of the office together and closed the doors.

They walked out of the Centre main doors and heard them close behind. They both took a breath. Parker turned to Jarod.

"How did you stop the bomb?" She asked. Jarod reached into his coat pocket and pulled out the pen with the timer on it. He handed it to her. "Is Lyle still in there?" She looked back at the Centre.

"Come on, Parker. We have a life to live." He faced her and pulled her in, kissing her deeply.

"Hey Jarod," he heard Greg say. He looked up and saw Greg and Angelo across the grounds. Jarod and Parker took each other hand and started running to them.

"We've got the van over here," Greg said as they approached.

"Everyone in," Jarod asked.

"Yea, it's quite an interesting group." Greg laughed. They got into the waiting van. Charles was driving.

"All set?" He said. Charles sped down the road. "I guess the bomb's timer was off, huh Jarod?" He said looking in the rearview mirror at Jarod.

"Yes," Jarod said smiling. Parker looked behind her and cautiously looked down at the pen.

"Just in case," she said softly to herself and pushed the pen. The timer started from twenty-two seconds.

"Jarod," Broots said in his ear. "The timer? Why did you restart it?"

"What, Broots?" Everyone turned to him.

"The timer restarted. There isn't anyone in there that I can tell." Broots said.

He looked over at Parker, staring out the window. He looked down to her hand and saw the pen. He moved next to her and picked up her chin and smiled at her.

"It's over, Amanda. Give me the pen," he said, softly.

"Lyle may still be in there," Parker said, holding the pen closer to her.

"It stopped," Broots said.

Jarod took her hand and they both looked down at the timer on the pen. It read :02. They looked at each other.

"Lyle," she said almost laughing. "He must have stopped...." Jarod didn't give her time to finish the sentence. He held the back of her neck and pulled her to him, kissing her passionately. Parker let the pen drop to the floor of the van and kissed him back, deeply. Sydney looked at Parker and Jarod and smiled to himself.



Lyle looked at the bomb and laughed. "Guess we do win, Jarod," he said, walking into the shaft. He winced at the pain in his leg for a moment and then reached down and tied the cloth around it, tighter. He climbed into the elevator shaft and started up the ladder.

THE END








































1


16


End Notes:

Hope you enjoyed my tale...please let me know.  I'm always open to feedback, but no spams please.  I wrote this because I loved the show, the characters and the great mysteries.

Thank you so much for reading! 

This story archived at http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=2946