Life is Not a Game Anymore by Gemini
Summary: There is a new assignment for Miss Parker and her life is about to change...it sounds better when you read it :)


Categories: Post Season 4 Characters: Jarod, Miss Parker, Original Character, Sydney
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, General
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 16025 Read: 17645 Published: 20/05/05 Updated: 20/05/05

1. Part 1 by Gemini

2. Part 2 by Gemini

3. Part 3 by Gemini

4. Part 4 by Gemini

5. Part 5 by Gemini

6. Part 6 by Gemini

7. Part 7 by Gemini

Part 1 by Gemini
Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used
without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.




Life Is Not A Game Anymore
part 1
by Gemini






"I was up all night. I went trough every last detail, every last moment. This is something that won't leave me alone for a long time. It was so awful..."

Sean Matthews was a 27 years old actor. He was on his way to the top. He was loved by his audiance. He was a star. He had brown hair and deep brown eyes. Since last week these eyes were filled with sadness.

"I am just so greatful...that I'm still alive."

He sat on a blue couch that was placed next to a wall with a big window. The whole room was colored in different shades of blue, it was nice. It made Sean feel safe.

"I just keep thinking about the victoms and their families."

"Have you contacted your family?"

The psychologist was a man in his fifties. He wore a gray suit which matched the color of his hair. He seemed always to know the right things to say.

"Yes. I spoke to my Mother...she cryed a lot. She said that she saw a picture in the newspaper. A picture about the crash. There wasn't much left of the plane so I understand why she was so shocked."

"That is only natural."

"But why? Why did I live?"

"Why do you think? Do you think there has to be a reason? Was it just because you sat where you did?"

"Kelly sat right next to me...I'll never get over that, she was a good friend of mine."

Sean stared out of the window to hide his tears. He couldn't cry.

"What about the announcment you did in that interview yesterday? that you're taking some time off?"

"I have to. There is so much I need to think about. You never understand how fragile life really is until you face death. My career, my fans can wait, I'm young. For some reason I was givven a second chance and there is somebody who deserves a second chance from me."

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Miss Parker walked right into her father's office. She didn't bother to knock.

"Aah, Angel! Just the one I wanted to see!" Mr. Parker sayd happily

"I know...the memo you left on my desk."

"Right. I've got some news," he stood up from behind his desk

"What?" Parker knew it couldn't be anything good. There just weren't any good news left.

"It has been 5 years since Jarod escaped and since that he has been Centre's number one concern. It's time to put him aside...not for real, just for one week."

"What are you talking about?" Miss Parker wasn't sure she had heard her father right. Putting Jarod aside? What the hell did he mean?

"I have a different assignment for you," he said

"Daddy? Where is this coming from?" Miss Parker was more then suprised.

"This is just one week, if it doesn't work out then maybe even less. Sydney and Broots can take care of Jarod...it's not like he's ready to come back yet." Mr Parker grinned.

Miss Parker sighed "And what kind of an assignment is that?"

"Come on! First there is someone you need to meet." Mr Parker walked out of his office and Miss Parker fallowed him, still confused.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Jarod put down the newspaper and took a sip from his mug. He was sitting in a wooden kitchen behind a light brown table. It was midday, but he had just waken up. He had had a rough night. He grinned when he thought about it.

A young woman wearing jeans and white t-shirt came in and took a seat next to him. She was a young single mother, her name was Sarah.

"Chelsea should be back from school soon. I'm a little worried that we have to leave her here alone, but she's a big girl."

"We'll be back in half an hour, I promse." Jarod was still feeling quilty for braking Sarah's car. It had been for a good cause of course, actually he had done that to save Chelsea's life, but that didn't change the fact that she had nothing to drive with. Jarod had promised to stick around for a little longer and take her to the town with his car.

"So what time did you get back last night?" she asked with compassion, because he really did look exchausted.

"Around 4 am."

"4 am? Wow, and how did it go?"

"Let's just say that this time Larry won't bother you again." Jarod grinned again. He wasn't getting into details, he still had to eat his brekfast and didn't want to ruin his appetite.

"How can I ever thank you, Jarod? First you saved Chelsea from a car accident and now you got Larry off my back?"

"He had no right to treat you like that. I was glad to help! Beside I enjoyed every moment I spent here with you and Chelsea. She's a great kid."

"Yes she is," smiled Sarah. "Thank you for everything."

"You welcome. Now lets hope she gets home soon, because we want to be back before it gets dark."

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Angel, meet Daniel Gallagher."

Mr Parker had traged her daughter to SL 3 to a new section. They had entered a big, dark room. Then again - all of the rooms in the Centre were big and dark. They found Daniel waiting for them. He was about 35 years old, tall, he had dark hair and dark eyes.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Miss Parker," he said while offering her his hand.

Parker didn't say anything. He gave the man an investigative look. There was just something about him. She didn't know what, but there was.

"Angel, he's the man you'll be working with," said Mr Parker. "You should get started right away. There's not much time left."

Mr Parker smiled and leaved the room.

"Daddy? What the...not much time left? I have no idea what I'm even doing here," Miss Parker felt like screaming. Once again she was in the middle of something she had no idea about and she had a feeling that it was something she didn't want to know about.

"It's simple really," Daniel spoke calmly "You and I are in charge of the Centre's new project."

"And that is?"

"Come along." Daniel started to leave the room and Parker fallowed him. She knew she'll be sorry, but what could she do, her father had sent her there.

They stepped into an elivator and headed to the 23rd sublevel.

Miss Parker didn't know where to start. She had about million questions in her head.

"So, Miss Parker," he started first "I figure you should be happy with a change. I imagine that hunting down a genius can get really boring," said Daniel.

Miss Parker was suprised that he knew that much about her. Well it wasn't much, but comparing to the fact that she knew nothing about him, she found it unfair.

"Then again, he does do everything to...spice...things up, like sending you dead swallows or Igors or..."

Now that was too much! How the hell did he know all that!

"Who are you?" asked Miss Parker

"I'm a friend." He smiled sweetly.

"I don't have friends. Where did you get the information about me?" hissed Miss Parker

"I read your file. I like to know the people I'm working with."

"Then why don't I know anything about you?"

"Well, that can be arranged. How about a dinner?"

Miss Parker couldn't belive her ears. Who did he think he was.

"Business dinner...of course," he smiled again.

They reached SL 23 and got out of the elivator. They entered a room with white walls and white drapes. In the middle of it was a bed and on the bed lied a little girl. She seemed to be sleeping. Her face was pale and she looked exchausted.

Miss Parker stepped closer to the bed. It felt horrible to see that little girl like that. She didn't even want to know what the Centre had done to her.

"Her name is Marie," said Daniel and went to the other side of the bed. He looked at the girl with sadness in his eyes. "She's ill. She's very ill."

>From the first moment Miss Parker had seen Daniel she had decided that she didn't like him, but she was beginning to realise that there was much more to him then the eye meets.

"Is she..." she stopped.

"Yes, she's dying," Daniel sighed. "She's got a week, maybe two..." he paused "that's why we don't have a lot of time."

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Sean knocked on a wooden door and stepped back to have another look at the house. Everything was the same, even the garden and the white fence.

The door before him opened and a little girl, about 8 years old, stepped out. She was a pretty child and her eyes were happy.

"Yes?" she asked with a smile.

Sean stood there like he had seen a ghost. That girl, that little girl. Was she...was she his...He felt that he was not breathing, he just kept staring at the girl.

"Mr? Can I help you?" she asked with a worried voice.

Can she help him? Sean couldn't belive his ears. Can she help him?

"I...I...is your mother home?" least he was able to talk again.

"No, she went to town. She'll be back in a half an hour."

"Could I...wait for her?" Sean was confused, he had no idea what was going on with him, but he was scared.

"I'm sorry, but my Mom said I can't let anyone in while she's gone."

"Oh, oh...of course, you're mother is right. I'm sorry. I'll come back later...here," he took a piece of paper and a pen from his pocket. He wrote something down and handed it to the girl. "Here's the adress where I'm staying. Would you please give it to your mother?"

The girl nodded and closed the door. Sean needed a moment to gather himself before he started walking back to his car. Her mother had told him not to let anybody in, her mother said that to protect her, her mother had every right to tell her that - she was the one who had raised her, the one who had stayed with her. She hadn't walked out on her 8 years ago like he had.

Sean sat in the car. He took another look at the house and drove away.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

"What am I...why am I here?" Miss Parker still didn't understand what was going on. She had met Marie and knew that she was very ill, but other then that she was still in the dark.

"First let me tell you about Marie." Daniel walked away from the girl and took a seat on a white couch that was placed next to the wall. Miss Parker joined him.

"She was brought here about a month ago. Like I said she's ill, but no one knows what's the matter. She has this disease that doesn't even have a name yet. No one has ever seen anything like that. The doctors had no idea what it was. The Centre had her brought here to study the disease and hopefully find a cure. For the rest of the world she died last month. Unfortunatly non of the people here could figure it out either."

"You have been studing her case?" Miss Parker asked quietly.

"Yes, I was in charge of finding the cure, but that is impossible because we don't even know what is this disease. That's why there's nothing left for us to do." Daniel sighed again. He was honestly suffering because of that girl. "Anyway, about a week ago, Marie actually woke up. She even talked to us a little, she still does, but there's something...some kind of a voice inside her she keeps hearing. That's why you are here. Even though you have had no time to develop or work with your inner sense...maybe...you can understand her."

Miss Parker stood up again. She sighed. She sighed again.

"When she wakes up, I would want you to be here."

"I will," Miss Parker nodded and walked out of the room. She had to get away to think it over.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Jarod and Sarah were back from town. Jarod took the bags with groceries and they went inside the house. Chelsea happily greeted them back.

"Hey! Did you do ok? Of course you did, you're a big girl!" Sarah hugged her daughter.

"Did you bring me icecream?" Chelsea asked with a big smile

"Go check in the kitchen!"

Chelsea was gone in a second. Sarah laughed and turned to Jarod.

Jarod had noticed a piece of paper on the table. He picked it up and handed to Sarah.

"What's this?" She read the address, but didn't recognize it. "Chelsea!" she called.

Chelsea came back with an icecream.

"What is this?" Sarah showed her the note.

"Oh, a man was looking for you. He told me to give it to you," said Chelsea

"Who?" The first thought in Sarah's and in Jarod's mind was Larry. Was he really back already? No, he can't be, thought Jarod, he definatly can't be.

"I don't know. He seemed nice, but confused," said Chelsea

Sarah and Jarod exchanged looks. Least it hadn't been Larry, Chelsea would have known him.

"I'll go there." Sarah took the paper and her coat.

"Do you want me to come with you?" offered Jarod.

"No, you stay here with Chels, ok?"

"Sure." Jarod opened the door for Sarah and she went out. He then turned to the girl. "You know, I happen to like icecream a lot too."

Chelsea smiled, she quickly ran away from him to save her icecream. Jarod laughed and chased her a little, but as she disappeared in the kitchen he gave up.

"Ok, you win Chelsea! You're too quick for me!" he said with a smile.

He sat on the couch and took out his cellphone. It was time for some mindgames that he so much enjoyed.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

"What?"

Jarod grinned, good old Parker.

"Glad to hear you're ok. I was getting worried for a little since you didn't show up at New York on Monday. Whay was that? You're taking some time off? Sydney and Broots were there."

Miss Parker sighed. She was sitting in her office still thinking. "New York? What are you talking about?"

"Don't tell me that Centre's keeping you in the dark about me now," Jarod didn't know what to think.

"Then why don't you enjoy that, Jarod. You don't have to deal with me for a while."

Jarod felt even more confused. What was happening to her? "Are you ok?"

"I'm fine Jarod." Parker wanted to end the converstaion, but for some reason she didn't. She had a thought in her mind, but was too scared to say it out loud. She realised that she can't share it with him, it would be against her father's will. Besides, it wouldn't be sure that he could save Marie in the first place. No, it was out of question. "I'm fine, so leave me alone." Parker put down her phone.

Jarod stared at the space before him. There was no way he would leave her alone. There was something going on and he had to know what.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Sarah stopped Jarod's car in front of a snall hotel. She took the paper and went inside.

Five minutes later she knocked on the door with a nuber 102 on it. She didn't have to wait for long. The door went opened and she stood face to face with Sean Matthews.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *
Part 2 by Gemini
Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used
without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.

Life Is Not A Game Anymore
part 2
by Gemini






"I should have known you'll show up! I should have known!" Sarah didn't wait for an invitation, but stepped into the hotelroom filled with anger.

"Sarah, it's been a long time," said Sean quietly and closed the door behind her.

The hotelroom was small and filled with cheap furniture. Sarah folded her arms and stood next to a red couch.

"Why in the world did you come back here?" she asked when she calmed down a little.

"Sarah...I came back becuase of her," answered Sean. He moved closer to Sarah.

"Figures! You've been gone for eight years, you left us behind because you wanted to fallow your dreams or something and now, now you come back! You really think that you can just show up here and I'll agree with that? In that case you're a bigger fool than I thought. I want you to stay away from Chelsea! Do you understand that?"

"Chelsea?" Sean smiled. "Her name is Chelsea?"

Sarah smiled too "You don't even know you daughter's name!"

"Sarah, you have to hear me out. I didn't come back expecting you'de be ok with it right away. Chelsea..." he enjoyed the way that name sounded "doesn't have to know I'm her father if that's what you want, but I did come back because of her. I did come back with a hope...even if it's a small one...that maybe there's a way I can make up just a little of the things I've done to you and to her," he spoke from his heart, but he realised that it was going to be hard to persuade Sarah.

"That's not the way it works...why now?" Sarah sat on the couch. She had lost her strenght.

"Because two weeks ago something happened to me that made me realise my mistakes. The biggest one of them all was how I ran out on you and left you alone with a baby not to mention how I left Chelsea without a father."

"The plane crash...I heard about it in the news," said Sarah and she knew she was right.

"Look, I hate the way it came out, but I won't give up so easily this time," Sean almost whispered those words, but he ment it. He was not going to give up.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Miss Parker rushed to SL 23. She had heard from Daniel that Marie was awake and she had to talk to her. She didn't know why, she didn't imagine how she could be any help to her because she couldn't control or understand her own inner sense, but she knew she had to talk to her.

She entered the white room. Daniel and two other men stood by Marie's bed. Daniel told the others to leave and they did.

"Marie, I want you to meet somebody," said Daniel and turned to Parker. "This is Miss Parker."

Miss Parker went closer. She smiled "Hello Marie."

"Hello." The girl's voice was weak and tired. She was still pale and looked even worse then last time.

"How are you feeling," asked Parker as she stepped closer.

Daniel went over to the couch and took a seat. He didn't want to disturb them.

"Is there anything I can do for you? Get you anything?" Parker felt uncomfortable around little children and this girl was no exception.

"Water..." whispered Marie.

Miss Parker noticed a bottle of water on the table next to the couch and went for it. She filled a glass and returned to the girl. Marie rose her head a little and took a small sip. She had to gather for the next one.

Miss Parker's heart ached when she looked at the girl.

"Marie, I came here to talk to you about these voices you hear inside. Do you know what I'm talking about?"

The girl nodded. Her face lightened up a little. "They don't want me to be alone, I'm never alone."

"Do you know whose voices they are? Do you know who's talking to you?"

"No," said Marie weakly.

"You know what Marie? Can I tell you a secret?" Getting a nod from the girl Miss Parker continued "I can hear voices too."

"You can?"

"Yes. It is my mother's voice. She talks to me sometimes."

"Sometimes I don't understand what they're saying," said the girl. "Sometimes I wish they'd go away."

Now it was Miss Parker's turn to nod.

Daniel had been right, she did understand her.

"I wish I could hear my mother's voice," said Marie.

Miss Parker knew that the girls parents thought she was already dead. Maybe that was good, because they didn't have to see her suffering like that.

"What does your mother tell you?" continued the girl.

"She wants to protect me and to take care of me," Parker answered. "You said that you are never alone, do you hear them only when no one else is around? When they think you're alone?"

Now the girl shook her head. "Sometimes...I don't know why they come when they come."

Marie closed her eyes for a moment and took a deep breath, she was tired.

"I'm sorry, but Marie has to get some rest now," said Daniel and stood up from the couch and went to the bed. "she's not used to talk so much and we don't want her to...get some rest now, Marie." Daniel caressed her cheek and then walked out.

Parker went with him. She felt so bad. She had never seen anyone suffering like that right before her eyes.

They stepped into the elivator. Neither of them said a word for couple minutes.

It was Daniel who broke the silence. "I know it was very little, but she's doing worse and we have to be patient about it."

"How can I help her?" Parker asked quietly

"The truth is that you weren't included to this assignment to help her, but to explore her these voices she hears. Unfortunatly we don't have much time. I'm afraid that we have failed in every way. We couldn't find anything about the disease, we couldn't find the cure and I doubt we can find anything related to these voices."

He was talking about her like she was already gone and Parker wanted to object to that, but deep down she knew that he was right.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Sydney was sitting behind his desk when the phone rang.

"This is Sydney."

"So how is New York at this time of the year?"

"Jarod?" Sydney wasn't suprised to hear from him. He knew why he was calling, but he didn't know the answer to his question.

"What can you tell me about Miss Parker?" Jarod's voice sounded concerned though he tried to hide it.

"Not much, Jarod. Her father said that she's busy with another project. I don't know what kind of a project. I haven't seen her in two days. I tried to call her at her house, but I don't think she slept there last night."

"No, she didn't," said Jarod. He had waited for he.

"Do you think it's something we should worry about?" Sydney knew that in the Centre everything was worth worring about.

"Can you and Broots find out more about that project? What ever it is."

"I'll try Jarod," Sydney said.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Jarod put down his phone. He heard that the door opened and went to the hall. He was still staying with Sarah and Chelsea. Since he hadn't left any clues to the Centre he had had no trouble with them and didn't have to worry about running.

"How did it go?" Jarod asked.

"Where's Chelsea?" Sarah didn't want her to hear.

"She's upstairs at her room, she's drawing. Are you ok?"

"No I'm not ok!" Sarah was still upset. "That man who was here, the one I went to see...is Chelsea's father."

Jarod didn't know much about Sarah's past, but he understood that it was something she was not comfortable with.

"After eight years, Jarod...why does he do that! He's the most selfish person I know!" Sarah went to the kitchen and Jarod fallowed her. She poured herself a glass of cold water and drank it to calm down.

"Can I ask what happened?" Jarod sat down.

"You mean eight years ago?"

Jarod nodded. Sarah took a seat next to him. He had done so much for her and she trusted him completely.

"We were only 18 then. We...we knew each other for many years before we started dating. We were everybody's favorite couple. We were...in love." She smiled to her memories, but turned quickly back to serious. "One night we slept together and that was all it took. That night...about a month later I found out that I was pregnant. My parents promised to help me out in any way, but he didn't. He got scared and said that he wanted to explore the world and fallow his dreams. He didn't care about me or Chelsea. He walked out on us to become a big star."

"Why did he come back?" Jarod had heard stories like that many times before and he never understood those men who left their families.

"Two weeks ago a there was a plane crash and Sean was in that plane. It was all over the news. Sean survived, but many others didn't. He said that it got him thinking."

For couple of moments they both sat there in silence.

"I understand that you are upset and you have every right to be, but I think that you should least consider giving him another chance."

Sarah looked at Jarod with a suprised look. She thought he was on her side, how could he defend Sean?

"I'm just saying that if he really has changed then maybe...Chelsea could still know her father." Jarod wanted to belive that. For him having a family was very important. He knew that Sarah was hurting, but there was still a way that it could work out.

"Mom, when did you come back?"

Sarah turned around and saw her little girl standing at the kitchen door. She looked at her and the thought of telling her the truth seemed less painfull. She had the right to know, but did Sean have the right to know her?


* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Miss Parker finally made it to her house. She had slept at the Centre last night. She wasn't sure why, but she had felt that she couldn't go home. She was tired. She was emotionally tired. Her head was full of thoughts about voices, Marie and even Daniel. She still hadn't figured him out, but that had to wait.

She took off her shoes and went to the livingroom. She poured herself a drink and sat on the couch. She hadn't turned on the lights, she liked darkness. She closed her eyes as she remembered her talk with the little girl. She wished she could help her more. She wished that she could control her own inner sense, she wished that someone would help her.

She tried to concentrate. She started talking to her mother in her thoughts. She hoped to reach to her. She neede her more then ever.

All the questions, all the answers, the past, the future, people, discoveries - all of them went through Parker's mind, but nothing more. She couldn't control it and it made her angry.

Suddenly Parker realised that she had lost her usual strenght, she had got herself too involved and she had become weak. That had to change. In the Centre, weakness ment death.

Parker put the empty glass on the table and put on the lights. She had to stop thinking. She decided to go to bed.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

It wasn't the first time Jarod was back in the Centre since he had escaped. He had sneaked out from Sarah's house in the middle of the night and about an hour later he arrived there. He wasn't sure what he was looking for, but he knew that the answers would be there.

This time it wasn't about him, it was about her. Jarod hated the way she pushed him away. He wanted to help. Didn't she know that? Of course she didn't. She had grown up with lies just like him, but she hadn't seen through them. She didn't see herself as a victom of the Centre, but she did see him.

Jarod walked forward. He was restless. It was the last place on Earth he wanted to be, but he was there, because he had to find out what was going on. The fear of being back, the feeling of helplessness and the fear for her - it was hell, but he kept walking ahead. He didn't stop untill he was in Parker's office. There had to be clues about the new project there. Something...anything.

After quietly going through her papers Jarod found a memo of Parker's meeting with Daniel Gallagher. He memorised the name, it was the first clue he was going to fallow.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *
Part 3 by Gemini
Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used
without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.




Life Is Not A Game Anymore
part 3
by Gemini






Miss Parker walked through a big hall and turned to her office. She was surprised to see somebody sitting behind her desk.

"What the hell are you doing here? Going through my things? You have a death wish?" Parker was not in a good mood.

The man turned to face Parker. It was Daniel.

"Actually I was waiting for you," he smiled, "is that so awful?"

Parker was not going to apologize, she never did. She gave him a look that made him get up from her chair.

"I'm here, so what is it?" Parker checked that he hadn't touched anything.

"Well, there were some things I was hoping we could discuss. However you were late, almost an hour? And now I have to go." Daniel was ready to leave, but stopped. "What about that dinner? That business dinner? How about tonight?"

Parker sighed. Did he really want to talk? Was it about Marie? She knew how Daniel cared about that little girl and for some reasons so did she.

"Fine," she sighed.

Daniel was a little suprised. He hadn't excpected it to go that easily. "Great. How about that new restaurant that was opened last week. I'll pick you up at..."

"A business dinner, Daniel. I'll get there myself," hissed Parker. "At seven."

Daniel smiled. He left her office.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Jarod woke up late again. He was getting used to it. The Centre had no idea where he was, although he was closer to them than they'd ever think. Jarod wasn't sure if they had no idea because he had left no traces or because that other project was so important that he was put aside. Then again that other project seemed to include only Miss Parker, not Sydney or Broots.

Jarod made his way to the kitchen. He poured himself a glass of oringejuice and turned to the light-brown table. He wasn't sure if Sarah and Chelsea were still sleeping or not, but he hadn't seen them yet. Since it was Saturday, there was no school for Chelsea or no work for Sarah.

Jarod finished his breakfast and went to the livingroom. He wrote a note to Sarah saying that he was going to town, took his jacket and was ready to leave untill he noticed another note on the table next to the door. It said:

Jarod,

Sorry I didn't wake you before we left, but you seemed exchausted. I barrowed your car to take Chelsea over to a her friend's house. I hope that you don't mind. I also have some things to take care of, but I'll be back soon.

Sarah.

Jarod grinned. She had taken the car. He didn't mind, but ha had to come up with a solution to that situation.

He put his jacket away again and turned back to the livingroom. He sat on the couch and turned on his laptop. He also took his phone and dialed a number.

"This is Sydney."

"What can you tell me about Daniel Gallagher?" Jarod asked. At the same time he entered the name to his computer and clicked the search button.

"Daniel Gallagher? Why do you ask about him?" Sydnet was surprised to hear that name.

"I have reasons to belive that he's got something to do with the project we talked about yesterday." said Jarod.

"He's a doctor, pretty young. He works here in the Centre, that's about all I know," answered Sydney.

Jarod looked at the screen of his laptop. The information he had found wasn't exactly useful. "Tell Broots to find out what he can about that man from the Centre's files."

Jarod put down the phone. A doctor? What was Miss Parker doing with a doctor? Or maybe... Jarod closed his eyes. Was that what was going on? She was ill? It would explained the way she had been acting. She had said that Jarod didn't have to deal with her for a while, hadn't she? Was that because she was really ill? Was it something serious?

Jarod had always thought that Miss Parker was strong and she was, but she was just a human being too. She was not protected from illnesses any more than anyone else.

Jarod got up and started pacing around in the livingroom. He needed a car. He had to go see her. He had to know the truth.

Suddenly he heard a knock on the door. He stopped pacing and listened. He heard it again. He went to open the door.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Sarah had written that she had some things she had to take care of. By that she ment that she needed time to think. She needed to be alone.

Sean's and Jarod's words went through her head. When she first had seen Sean she had been furious, but now she was seeing the other side of the picture. She saw the situation as she thought it would be best for Chelsea. Sarah wanted her to have a father, but she had never married after Sean had left. Now Chelsea had the chance to get to know her real father. Maybe Jarod was right and it wasn't too late.

For Chelsea, her decision had to be the best for Chelsea.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Miss Parker was heading to her father's office. She wanted to know his thoughts about the situation with Marie and Daniel.

When she had first told her father about her inner sense he hadn't taken it very seriously. He had told her to get some rest. Like that would make a difference. But now he suddenly belived it. He belived it so much that he wanted her to talk to Marie.

Suddenly Miss Parker closed her eyes. She felt a pain going through her head and then...she heard laughter. A sweet, quiet laughter. She saw a vision of a little girl playing in a garden. She was wearing a white dress and her brown hair shone when she ran after a beautiful butterfly that she tried to catch. Miss Parker didn't recognize her at first because she was happy and smiling, but when she stopped to take a rest her face turned pale and her eyes looked tired. Now Parker knew, it was Marie.

Parker opened her eyes again. She took a deep breath and turned around. There had to be a reason for her vision. Marie needed her.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Jarod opened the door. He didn't recognize the man that was standing before him, but he could guess. The other man was much more surprised.

"Can I help you?" Jarod asked.

"Is..is Sarah home?"

"No, she's not, but she should be back soon. Come on in," Jarod stood aside to let the man get inside.

"My name is Jarod," he introduced himself.

"Sean, Sean Matthews."

Jarod had guessed right.

"I didn't know Sarah was...living with anybody," Sean felt that every time he got near that house he lost his self-confidence and that the surprises never seemed to end.

Jarod grinned, "I'm just a friend."

They went into the livingroom and Jarod offered Sean a seat.

"Sarah told me about you," Jarod said," she was really upset, but I think she's calming down a little."

"I can't blame her..." Sean took a look around. He noticed a picture of Chelsea...of her daughter on the wall. He stood up and went closer to it.

"Do you have children?" he asked.

"No, no I don't, but maybe some day..." Jarod smiled at the tought. Sometimes it seemed impossible, but sometimes it didn't.

"I just hope that you'll never make the same mistakes. Since the moment I saw Chelsea I knew that I would trade every moment I've had during the last eight years to have just one moment with her as...as her father." He turned away from the picture." She's a beautiful little girl," he smiled.

Jarod and Sean both turned their heads to the door as they heard a noise. Sarah had walked in with Chelsea.

She put down her coat and helped the girl out of hers. She then took her daughters hand and they stepped forward.

"Chelsea, honey, there's somebody I want you to meet," Sarah looked at Sean and her eyes were not full of hate anymore. She had made her decision and she knew it was the right one.

Jarod left them on their own. He took the carkeys and went out. It was something the three of them had to work out on their own.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Marie? Marie can you hear me?"

It was the first time Miss Parker was alone with her. The girl opened her eyes and smiled as she saw a familiar face.

"Miss Parker, they said that you'd come."

Miss Parker tried to remember the vision of her when she had been so happy. It was hard to belive that it was the same girl that now lay before her.

"How did they know?" Parker asked quietly.

"I think they know everything. They know so much more then I do. They tell me not to be afraid," she smiled.

"You are a very special girl, Marie. You know that?" Miss Parker took her little hand. From the moment she had had the vision about her she was weak again. She was just as weak as that girl that lay there.

"I know, they told me. They also say that I don't have to be afraid of what comes next."

What comes next? Parker knew the answer too well.

"They're right. You don't have to be afraid. I'll be here with you."

The girl smiled again. She had done that a lot since she had met Parker.

"They told me that you were sad when your mother died and that you still are. They said that you think you're alone, but you really aren't."

That was coming from a seven years old? She really was special. Parker hadn't doubted that her voices were real for a second and now they were talking about her soul.

"I'm not alone, I have my father and my brother..." Parker stopped, Marie had always been so honest and for some reason she felt like she had just lied.

"You should get some rest now. Remember what Daniel said, you need to rest."

Marie nodded weakly. She closed her eyes and tried to go back to sleep.

Parker didn't move for couple of moments. She was processing everything what the girl had said.

Suddenly she remembered her dinner with Daniel. She had to get ready.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Sarah looked at the expression on her daughter's face. Chelsea was confused. Her mother had told her that every girl and every boy had a father and that she did too. She had never heard about her father before, her mother had never wanted to talk about it, she had always just said that daddy was gone.

"Honey, do you understand me?" Sarah looked into Chelsea's eyes.

Now her mother had told her that the man who was standing in the room with them was her father. The same man she had met once before. She did understand that, but she had no idea what to do about it.

"Chelsea, there are some things that I can't explain to you yet, but I will when you grow older," said the man who was coming closer to her, said...daddy. Chelsea looked at him. He was her father? Her father? She had never had a father before. She knew that children loved their fathers and she had to love hers.

For the first time she smiled. She had a father! She looked at her mother and then at her father. Her family. She smiled again. She let go of her mothers hand and moved closer to the man. He was crying, tears fell from his eyes, but he was happy. He gave her his hand and she took it.

Sean gave the girl a hug. It was the moment he had been talking about earlier with Jarod. It was the moment he felt as...as a father.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *
Part 4 by Gemini
Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used
without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.




Life Is Not A Game Anymore
part 4
by Gemini







Miss Parker got to the restaurant right on time. Since it was a business dinner, she didn't want to be late. She was wearing a black skirt, not too short, a dark-colored blause to go with it and looked prettier than ever.

The restaurant looked nice too. Mostly in purple colors, which was kind of refreshing.

She noticed that Daniel was already waiting for her and walked to him. He was wearing a dark suit and for the first time Parker noticed how handsome he really was. He had chosen a table at the corner so that they could have some privacy.

"Miss Parker! Great, you're here. I must confess that I had my doubts and I wasn't sure if you'll show up at all," Daniel said as he stood up and waited for Miss Parker to sit.

"Here I am," she smiled.

"You look...beautiful," Daniel didn't want to cross the line and tried to control his words.

"Thank you," Parker smiled again. It felt nice to have dinner with him. He made her feel safe. She needed it. She realised that Daniel had been a lot of help to her since the project with Marie started.

After ordering they started to eat in silence.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Jarod finished his dinner in a small restaurant and checked his watch. It was eight. He took his phone and dialed a number.

"Sydney, this is Jarod."

"Jarod, I'm glad you called," Sydney said. "You asked me about Daniel Gallagher because you thought he might be involved with the project?"

"Yes, did Broots find anything?"

"Well," Sydney smiled, "maybe he's not related to that project after all. It looks like he and Miss Parker..."

"What?" Jarod asked with a surprise.

"Miss Parker left for their date couple hours ago," explained Sydney. "Not that it's any of my business, of course," he said with a grin.

"Oh..." Jarod felt a little embarrased, because he had done such a big deal out of him. "Well, then we're back where we started."

"I am a little worried about you too Jarod," Sydney said, "if I wouldn't be talking to you right now, I'd think you have disappeared for real. You haven't left the Centre anything to fallow..."

"I'm tired, Sydney. I'm tired of these games. I've been out here for five years and I have learned to love the world very much..."

"And you think that it is time to disappear for good? What about your family? What about the truth and all the answers you have been looking for?" Sydney asked. These words were a weapon and he knew it.

"They're a part of the game, the game that doesn't have an ending, but I want to change the rules...and I know where I'll start." He put the phone down.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

"So tell me more about these voices," Daniel said and leaned back on his chair. He was full and so was Parker, but he didn't want to end the dinner yet.

Miss Parker sighed. Why did he have to bring that up. She had wished that maybe they didn't have to talk about it, least not that night. Then she remembered that it was the main reason for their dinner in the first place.

"I don't know...I don't understand them my self...my inner sense..." Parker closed her eyes for a second. " My mother had the inner sense and it helped her to see the things that were to come. That's how she knew she was going to be killed and that's what worries me about Marie. She knows too, that she's going to die..."

"I know and I hate that," said Daniel.

"But she said that the voices told her not to be afraid, maybe..." Parker stopped as she realised what she was about to say. A thougth that had crossed her mind. What if Marie didn't have to be afraid because the voices knew that they will find a cure after all. What if that's what her vision had been about. She had seen her happy and healthy. Did it mean she had to help her get well?

"Maybe what?" asked Daniel.

"Oh, nothing," Parker said. She didn't trust her inner sense completely and she didn't want to give the girl false hope.

But Daniel had already understood what she ment. "Maybe...these voices can tell us something about the disease? Maybe we should try, with you."

"It's not that simple. I can't control it and it's not very strong yet."

"But we could try! For Marie. We could go at your house, where you feel safe, and in your mind, you could go to the places you went with your mother." Daniel said with exciment in his voice.

"I've tried...all it gave me was an awful headache," said Parker.

"But we could try together..." Daniel took her hand and looked right into her eyes.

Parker sighed. "Fine."

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Two cars stopped in front of Miss Parker's house. It was dark outside and silent. Parker and Daniel got out and went to the house.

Miss Parker opened the door and they stepped inside. Just when she wanted to turn on the lights they heard a noise coming from her bedroom.

Parker quickly put on the lights. Daniel took his gun and walked to the bedroom. Parker fallowed him. He carefully opened the door and they saw a man standing beside a window that he had opened. He was ready to leave, but stopped. He stared at the couple who had walked in. He was starteled to see Parker's tired face. She looked like she was in a lot of pain.

"Jarod?" Miss Parker asked weakly.

"This is Jarod? The Jarod?" Daniel couldn't belive his eyes. He had heard so much about the famous prodigy, but standing face to face with him was something else. It was scary, but also exciting. He, Daniel Gallagher, had a chance to get him. He raised his gun.

"Don't bother," Parker said quietly. "He's not my problem right now."

"What are you talking about? We have to get him!" Daniel said without lowering his gun.

Now Jarod was really worried. Not about the fact that a man had a gun on him, but about Miss Parker.

He just needed a second to jump outside and to disappear. Before that, he took another look at Miss Parker and for a brief moment their eyes met. Then he was gone.

Daniel ran after Jarod, but returned soon. He had lost him. Of course he had lost him. He suddenly realised what he had got himself into. He had a chance to capture Jarod, but lost him. That did not sound good.

"He's gone," Daniel said as he stepped into the livingroom.

Miss Parker sat on the couch with a drink and another one was waiting for Daniel.

"Forget about him, forget he was here. We have to concentrate," she said and gave the man his drink.

Daniel drank it at once and put the glass away. He sat on the chair next to the couch and turned to Parker. "Ok, lets see what we can do."

Parker closed her eyes and took a deep breath in. She wasn't sure she wanted to do this. She knew it would be for Marie, but she was afraid she wasn't ready.

"Think about your mother, think about her voice, her words, something she used to tell you..." Daniel once again took her hand as a sign of support.

Miss Parker thought about the time she and her mother were taking long walks together. Just the two of them. She was so happy back then. She was so young and innocent and her mother was so loving. It almost hurt to think about these times, but she had to.

"What do you see?" Daniel asked.

"I see what I want to see, it doesn't work that way," sighed Parker. She tried to concentrate on her mother's voice. Her words played in her head - I love you - you are my little girl - my Angel. The same words she heard every time when she thought about her mother.

"Maybe you should try to talk to her." Daniel wasn't about to give up.

"I tried that...look, maybe it's supposed to find me..."

"No, Parker. There has to be a way you can communicate with the voices," Daniel said. "What about today? You said you had a vision in the morning, about Marie. What did you do then?"

"I was just walking. I wasn't even thinking about my mother. I was...I was thinking about Marie," she said with new hope in her voice.

"Well, maybe that's what we're doing wrong here. Concentrate on Marie instead."

Parker closed her eyes again. It was getting a little ridiculous already.

She was in the withe room with the little girl. The girl smiled as she saw Miss Parker. She was pale, so pale and so fragile. Miss Parker remembered the awful feeling she had every time she was with Marie. To see her ill, to see her in pain.

Nothing. No voices, just a horrible feeling of empitness and loneliness in her heart and a headache. She opened her eyes and shook her head. She didn't want to feel that way. She wanted to get away from everything. To run. For the first time Miss Parker wanted to run instead of facing the problem, but she was too weak for that.

Tears started to fall on her cheacks. She was about to brake down when Daniel took her into his arms. She cried on his sholder, just cried and he rocked her gently.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Jarod stopped his car when he was sure he was far enough. He needed some air.

He was in the middle of nowhere. No lights, no sounds, no people, nothing. That's how he felt inside too...he had no idea what was going on.

He had never seen Parker like that. Even after her mother died she had pulled herself together, but now she was just an emotional mess.

Why did she let him go? Who is that man? Who is Daniel Gallagher? What is the project about? Jarod knew nothing. He had spent all the time with Sarah and Chelsea. For a moment he had forgotten the Centre, because they were not a threat to him at that time. He had enjoyed the feeling that if he wanted, he could disappear for ever. And in the middle of it, he had forgotten about her. In some ways she depended on him and he felt he had let her down.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Daniel left Miss Parker's house around midnight.

She had gone to bed to get some rest, but she knew that she couldn't sleep.

The thoughts she had in the restaurant were haunting her. Her vision...the voices that told Marie not to be worried...were they just comforting her?...and now Jarod.

She had let him go. Why? What was she thinking? She had let Jarod go? Was that another part of her ridiculous plan?

What if she had let him go because she wanted him out there. She wanted him out because he was her last chance. She wanted to tell him about Marie, but her father and Daniel had told her not to.

But if he could help? And if he couldn't? That would truly be the end and Miss Parker wasn't ready to face that.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *
Part 5 by Gemini
Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used
without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.




Life Is Not A Game Anymore
part 5
by Gemini







Jarod got back to Sarah's house in the morning. Sarah was already up and sat in the kitchen. She was staring at her coffee cup. She seemed far away in her thoughts.

"Good morning," Jarod said quietly. He was tired of everything that had happened last night.

"Jarod, I didn't hear you come in," Sarah raised her head.

"I was quiet, I didn't want to wake Chelsea."

"Sorry, but you don't look so good," Sarah smiled and went to get him some coffee.

"I don't feel good either," he said and sat behind the table.

"What is it that you do? You have disappeared every night now. If I didn't know better I'd think you're a vampire," Sarah grinned and gave the man a cup. "It's only coffee, I'm out of blood, sorry."

Jarod smiled, "Thanks."

"Do you want to talk about it?" Sarah wasn't going to give up.

"I don't want to bother you with my troubles, you have enough problems. With Sean and Chelsea."

"Hey, you've helped me so much, Jarod. It's the least I can do." Sarah said with compassion.

"Well," Jarod sighed,"I went to see somebody, unfortunatly it didn't go like I planned. I'm not sure what's going on, but I feel like I have failed in something."

"I don't know much about you, Jarod, or about your life or your past, but you are a very good person," said Sarah, "and I know that it's all gonna work out. You deserve to be happy. You and the people you love."

Jarod nodded quietly. "I'm going to do everything for that, but I can't stay here anymore."

"You're leaving?" Sarah asked with a surprise, although she had known that the moment wasn't far.

"I have to. I'm going back where I went yesterday one more time and then we'll see what happends."

"Good luck, Jarod," Sarah said sincerly.

"I'll need it."

Jarod stood up and walked to his room to pack his things.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Miss Parker got another memo from Daniel as soon as she stepped into her office next morning. Of course it was about the new project, about Marie.

Slowly, Parker went to the 23rd sublevel and stepped into the white room. She noticed Daniel and another man quietly sitting on the couch and staring at the girl. She was talking, but she wasn't talking to them. She was talking...to the voices.

Parker stopped by the door. No one had noticed she had come.

"I like flowers, my Mom and Dad have a big garden...yes, roses...long red roses...I remember when I..."

The girl smiled happily as she noticed Parker. She was talking very quietly, but she seemed happy.

"Hey," Parker stepped forward.

"This is Miss Parker...of course you knew that...yes she is."

"Are they here?" Parker asked looking around like she hoped to see them.

"Yes, can you hear them?"

"No, no I can't. Marie, listen to me, this is very important," Miss Parker said as she took her little white hand. "You have to ask them about your illness. You have to ask if they know the cure, if they know anything."

"They say, it's going to be over very soon," said the girl and she...she smiled.

Miss Parker suddenly felt sick. All of them there knew that there wasn't much time left and the girl seemed to be waiting for the death to come.

"Parker, are you OK?" Daniel got up from the couch.

"No, I don't feel so good," she said.

"Maybe you should lie down, come on." Daniel wanted to take her to the couch.

"No! I'm sorry Marie, I have to go now," Parker let go of her hand and went to the door.

"Goodbye, Miss Parker," the girl said quietly and closed her eyes. She took a deep breath and tried to get some sleep.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Jarod finished packing his things. He had no idea what he was going to do. He just knew he had to see Miss Parker before he decided.

He went to the livingroom and saw Sean standing there.

"Hey!" said Sean. He seemed to be in a good mood, but also nervous.

"Hey. Are you waiting for Sarah?" asked Jarod and looked around to see if he had forgotten anything. He noticed his sunglasses on the table and went to get them.

"Actually, I'm waiting for Chelsea. Sarah went to get her," Sean answered. "I heard you're leaving."

"Yeah, I'll pick up my things tonight, there's just one thing I have to do at first, then I'm gone," said Jarod. "Where are you taking Chelsea?"

"Well, that's the tricky part. I don't know what to do? How to act? Where to take her? If she was a boy, I could take him to a ball game, but...uh...I really don't know," said Sean nervously.

"Why don't you start with little things. You can take her to the park, to a playground, riding..." offered Jarod

"There is a nice park near by. I think I'll do that. Thanks, Jarod. I just need some time to get used to it. I mean, that's what I wanted when I came here and that's what makes me happy. I'm just sorry I didn't realise that eight years ago. Who knows what might have been if I did..."

"Well, you take good care of her and Sarah too. Oh, I have a favor to ask..." Jarod suddenly remembered.

"Anything."

"Could you drive Sarah and Chelsea to the town sometimes? Sarah doesn't have a car...and when I'm gone..."

"No problem. That gives me more reasons to be with them!" smiled Sean. The problem was solved.

"Great! Tell Sarah and Chels that I'll be back later to pick up my things."

"Sure," said Sean.

Jarod left.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Sydney found Broots sitting behind his desk, playing computergames.

"Bored I see."

"Uh, Sydney," Broots looked up, "well, it's not like we have anything better to do."

"I just talked to Mr Parker. He was very angry. He seems to think that we have lost Jarod for real. I tried to explain that it's not true, but he didn't even listen. He just said that he can't put Miss Parker back to the chase yet. I don't know what that means. However he wants us to take up on some other projects as well. I'm learning that the Centre has some new plans for the future, things that have nothing to do with Jarod."

"So what are we going to do?" asked Broots.

"We have to keep looking. I don't think Jarod is ready to give up the search for his family," said Sydney.

"I think...I think something is wrong, Syd. Why is it that Jarod disappears at the same time Miss Parker gets a new project. A coincident?"

"That's it...of course. These two things have to be related and that's where we start looking," said Sydney seriously.

"But...do you...Sydney do you really want to...want to have him back?" Broots was surprised he had asked that. "I mean, there are obviously some things that are more important for the Centre now. Things we don't have a clue about."

"I don't know...something is wrong with this picture, something is very wrong," said Sydney with a sigh and went out of his office again.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Miss Parker opened the door to her house and went inside. She just wanted to forget everything and to get some sleep.

She starteled as she saw somebody sitting on her couch. She didn't take her gun, even not when she realised who it was.

"Alone, Miss Parker? Where's that...what's his name?"

"What the hell do you want from me Jarod?" Parker went straight to get her a drink. She was way too tired to fight with Jarod.

Jarod dropped his usual act. He wanted to be her friend again. He stood up and went to Parker. He took the glass away from her, crabbed her arms and made her look at him.

"Parker, please tell me what's going on," he said and looked right into her eyes.

For a moment Parker tried to pull herself loose, but he didn't let her. She felt tears coming, but there was no way she was going to let him see her cry.

"What do you mean?" she asked and turned her head away.

"Look at me, you are a mess, Miss Parker. You have lost your strenght, it's almost like...like you have died inside." Jarod still didn't let her go. She was shivering and almost lost her balance, but she didn't fell, she felt safe. She realised that she had to trust him. She didn't care that everybody else were against it. For a second a little spark of hope appeared in her eyes.

"I need your help, Jarod. There's a little girl, Marie, in the Centre and she is dying. The doctors don't know what's wrong with her or how to save her. She's running out of time. You have to help her! Please, Jarod!"

"I'm afraid it's a little too late for that."

Jarod and Miss Parker turned their heads to the door. They hadn't noticed that Daniel had walked in.

Parker pulled herself away from Jarod and stepped towards Daniel.

"What did you say?" she asked as she stopped in the middle of the room.

"It's too late to save Marie. She died couple minutes after you left. The fight is over for her, she's finally in peace."

Jarod looked at the woman who was suddenly so pale.

"Why didn't you tell me all this sooner, Miss Parker? Maybe I could have save her!" Jarod asked with some anger in his voice. He didn't know the whole story, but he was so sick and tired of seeing the victoms of the Centre. He didn't realise how wrong he was. He didn't realise that Parker needed him to comfort her not to accuse her.

Daniel did realise, he went to Parker and took her to his arms. Parker didn't push him away, but didn't hug him back either. It was almost as she had froze and couldn't move. She wasn't crying. There just weren't any tears left.

A second later Jarod realised that it should have been him there holding her. What ever it was that Daniel and Parker had been through together it couldn't be compared to what he and Parker had been through. And this was ovbiously a very hard time for Miss Parker.

Jarod felt angry. Angry at himself, angry at the fact that there was nothing he could have done. He had told Sarah that he felt like he had failed in something. Now he knew in what.

"I need to get out of here," whispered Miss Parker.

"You need some air? I'll take you outside," said Daniel.

"No, I mean really out of here. Somewhere far from here."

"Ok, ok. I'll take you anywhere you want." Daniel looked at Jarod with a small grinn at his face. A grinn which showed Jarod that Parker was his.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Jarod quietly left Parker's house. He had promised Sarah that he would be back by evening to pick his things up, but once again he arrived in the morning. Sarah had asked him what was it he did at nights. He needed the nights to think, to understand what was going on, to find answers, but every answer brought up another question. His life story. Searching, disappointments, lonliness...it was all too familiar to him and now he was more determined than ever that things had to change. What had he told Sydney? That his life was not a game anymore? Neither was Parker's. She wanted to get away and so did he. He hated the way Daniel used her weakness to get to her.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Miss Parker went to the Centre first thing in the morning. She was wearing black and being back there made her sad. Everything reminded her of Marie. She wasn't strong enough to go and see the girl for the last time. She went streight to her father's office.

Mr Parker was happy to see her. He didn't seem to notice the sadness of her daughter.

"Angel, I'm so glad to see you," he said.

Miss Parker couldn't belive he acted like nothing had happened, but she was there for other reasons.

"Daddy, I need to take some time off," she said.

"You do? Oh...why?" Mr Parker asked.

"Me and...me and Daniel were thinking about going away for a while." Miss Parker knew her father never liked the men she was with, but it was different with Daniel. They weren't really together.

"I see. That's great! You really should get some rest and that Daniel is such a nice guy."

Miss Parker wasn't sure she had heard right.

"Well I was hoping you to go back to the chase now, but I guess it can wait a little longer." Mr Parker stepped closer to his daughter. "Who am I to step in front of happiness? Go."

"I...um...great," Miss Parker said, but her voice didn't sound too enthusiastic.

"Ok, then. I have to go now, I have an early meeting. You, take your time." said Mr Parker and went out.

Miss Parker stood there in disbelief and then fallowed him.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Everybody seemed to be sleeping. Jarod quietly went to his room and took his things. When he got back to the livingroom, he saw Chelsea.

"Hey, what are you doing up already?" Jarod asked as he put down his things.

"I couldn't sleep. Today I'm going to the zoo with Mom and Sean...with Mom and Dad," said the girl happily.

"That sounds great," Jarod smiled. He sat on the couch and Chelsea sat next to him.

"I wish you could come with us, but Mom said you're going away."

"Yes I am sweety. You have your daddy now, so you wouldn't miss me too much," he looked at the little girl who didn't have any problems or worries. He envied her because of that.

"I will miss you, Jarod." The girl gave Jarod a hug.

Sarah also came to the livingroom. She was very sad because Jarod was leaving and so was he. They said their goodbyes and Jarod stepped to the door.

"So where are you going now?" asked Sarah.

"I'm not sure yet. But I know who I'll fallow, there's somebody who may need my help and to who I owe an apologize." Jarod said with a smile.

He then went out and sat in his car. He waved to Sarah and Chelsea for the last time and then drove away.
Part 6 by Gemini
Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used
without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.




Life Is Not A Game Anymore
part 6
by Gemini





Miss Parker had slept most of the flight and most of the way from the airport. She hadn't noticed anything that was going on around her. She didn't talk or listen. She just..was there in the car.

Daniel had promised to take her away and he did. He took her to California. He had rented a house there by the beach. A place where they could get away from everything and a place where they could be together.

It was already dark outside when they finally made it to the house.

This was the first time since they left Delaware, Miss Parker smiled.

She loved the house from the first moment. It was big and it stood right at the beach next to the ocean. The view was incredible. The house was filled with wooden furniture and was covered with light colors.

They stepped into a big hall which was surrounded by stairs.

"This is incredible," Miss Parker said. She went into the livingroom which was right next to the hall. She went by a window and looked at the ocean. Although it was dark, she could see how the wind played with the waves.

"I'm so happy you like it," said Daniel. "The bedrooms are upstairs and there's a really sweet kitchen over there," he pointed at the direction where the kitchen was. "But I'd probably prefer eating out. It's been awhile since we went to a restaurant together." He smiled.

"Not tonight, I'm really tired and..." Miss Parker stopped for a second as she came away from the window. "And I did come here to get some time to be alone and to think. I really don't feel like going out any time soon."

Daniel smiled. "Sure, I understand."

Miss Parker went back to the hall. She took her things and went upstairs. She wanted to get some rest.

Her bedroom was also very beautiful. It's large windows let the moonlight in and it was the only light she needed. She took off her clothes and lay on the bed. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. It felt so perfect to be there. No one was around to tell her lies or to hurt her, least not at that moment. Daniel had been a real friend and she was very greatful for that.

She was too tired to think of anything else. She fell asleep.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Miss Parker woke up around 11 am. She felt good because she had had a good sleep.

She got up and went to the mirror.

Who was that woman who looked back at her? Who was she and why was she so sad?

It was not Miss Parker, not the real Miss Parker. It was a shadow of her. A weak figure.

With getting to know that little girl Marie and with her death some doors were opened. Doors to Miss Parker's soul and heart and she didn't know how to close them again. She needed to be who she was to survive. The world around her was not human and she had to fit in.

While sitting there in front of a mirror, Parker thought she understood why she had left Delaware. It was because she didn't want anyone to see her like that. She couldn't let anyone know that she had a weaker side too. It would have disappointed her father.

It was that and only that, Parker thought. Her getting away had nothing to do with the fact that she felt so completly lost in her own life, in the whole world. Alone in the whole world. No. That was all just a stuped phase which had to be someone else's fault. Jarod's? Yes, it had all been because of him. He and his stuped need to save the world. Parker didn't know how these things were related, but she was sure they were.


* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Miss Parker went downstairs about twenty minutes later.

Daniel was working on some papers in the livingroom. He smiled happily as he saw Miss Parker. He stood up and went to her.

"Good morning. How are you feeling? Did you sleep ok?" he asked.

"Yes," answered Miss Parker.

Daniel put his arm around her and they started to walk to the kitchen.

"I was thinking about what you said last night...that you came here to be alone...I just really hope that you aren't going to push me away, Parker. I'm here to help you out. To help you through this," Daniel said when looking into her eyes. He wanted his words to be warm because he had to make her belive and he really ment most of what he said. He had taken her that far and he really didn't want her to push him away.

He had it all figured out. Mr Parker and he got along just great. Mr Parker liked him a lot so he would have no problem with having him in the family. Being in Parker family ment power. A lot of power and in the Centre...power was everything.

That was not all of course. A woman like Miss Parker was a dream to a man like he. He was sure that he would love her one day, but that was not the most important thing. It was much more important to make her love him. It was like conquering something that was impossible to conquer. He was sure that by pushing the right buttons, he could do it. And top of it all...he really, really, really wanted to get her into bed. That was the weakest link in his whole game. He had to make sure that he wouldn't ruin his plans for that kind of an opportunity. That was going to be hard.

"I don't want to push you away, but you have to understand that I need my space right now," Parker said as they made it to the kitchen.

Daniel went to get her some coffee. "I know and I respect that. I just want you to know that I'm here for you."

"Thank you." Parker took the coffee.

"However, I still have some business that I need to take care of. I hope that you don't mind. I need to go to Santa Barbara, but I'll be back later tonight."

Miss Parker nodded. That gave her an opportunity to be by herself. To get to know the place and to think. No, she didn't want to think. She had done that too much lately. She decided not to think, but just to enjoy her vacation.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

About half an hour later, Daniel left.

Miss Parker went to the livingroom and sat on the coach that was covered with a pattern of different colored flowers.

Since she didn't allow herself to think, she soon felt bored. She started to look for some kind of an activity.

Suddenly the doorbell rang.

Miss Parker was surprised because she hadn't waited for any guests yet. Nobody even knew that she and Daniel were there.

As she opened the door she let out a long sigh.

"Can this be for real?" Parker said and roller her eyes. She was honestly surprised. "What the hell are you doing here, Jarod?"

Jarod didn't wait for an invitation, but walked right in.

"I thought I'd surprise you," he said with a funny grinn.

Parker closed the door. "You really like to push it, don't you? I'm calling the sweaper team here in a moment."

"Now, you don't want to do that. It would ruin your litlle get-away," Jarod said. "I wonder what has changed? Couple days ago you weren't slightly interested in capturing me. You let me walk in and out just as I wished and now you pull the sweaper team card on me?"

"What has changed? I can see straight again! Now, what the hell are you doing here?" she said with a demanding voice.

Jarod once again dropped his usual act. Just like he had done at Parker's house couple days ago. "I came to apologize."

"Apologize?" Parker asked with a surprise.

"Yes, to apologize...for what I said when...for hurting you."

"For hurting me? For witch time would that be?" She raised her eyebrow.

Jarod smiled for a second, but didn't let her remark bother him. "I know that the death of that little girl was very difficult for you and I'm sorry for accusing you." Jarod said while walking to the door that went to the back yard. He opened it and looked at the ocean.

Parker fallowed him with her eyes, but didn't say a thing. She knew by now that she wasn't going to call the sweapers, but having him in her life as actually talking to him face to face was something new...altough something really familiar.

"Have you seen the ocean today?" Jarod asked as he smelled the fresh air.

Parker started to slowly move towards him. He went outside and she fallowed him.

The weather was just wonderful. The golden sun was shining and warming the beach. Birds were singing the prettiest songs and the ocean was calm.

"I love this place," Jarod said. "It's paradise. I'd give anything to be actually able to stay at a place like this without anyone being after me."

"The way I see it...no one's after you right now...you could just disappear," Miss Parker said.

They walked closer to the water. Jarod sat on the sand and Miss Parker stood next to him. She still hadn't let down her guard.

"I've thought about it, but I don't think I'm ready for that," Jarod said after some silence. "There are too many unanswered questions to leave behind. The Centre is my only link with my parents."

Miss Parker didn't say anything. She didn't know what to say. She sat down next to Jarod.

Both of them kept staring at the ocean.

"You know..." Jarod started," I'm thinking about staying here for a while."

"What? Here?" Parker asked.

"Yeah, I just really love it here." He didn't want to tell her that he was staying because of her and that he already made a deal with the young guy who lived next door.

"Jarod..." Parker thought she had million of things to say so he wouldn't stay, but she couldn't think of any.

Jarod knew that he was safe there. He knew how much Mr Parker liked Daniel and that he had said that no one could bother them while they're at their vacation. Sometimes people from Centre seemed just stuped. That was one of those times. There was no way in hell that a sweaper would come there unless Parker called them and he knew she wouldn't. The only problem was Daniel.

"Oh...but you can't tell Daniel about this," he said.

Miss Parker turned away from the ocean and looked at him. "Why are you doing this? Why do you want to stay here?"

Jarod turned himself to her. "The truth is I want to protect you. I don't trust that guy."

"Since when can you tell me who to see and who not?" Parker was pretty close to slap him.

"I don't want to tell you who you can see, but you must understand that he's using you. You are very vulnerable right now and he's taking an advantice of it," Jarod said calmly.

"Don't you dare say anything about Daniel. He is the only one who has been there for me!" Parker stood up again. She started to go back to the house, but Jarod stopped her. For a moment she turned around to face him, but then pulled herself loose and went inside.

Who the hell did he think he was? Was he thinking at all? Parker was sick and tired of someone else running her life. She was so sick of it. Jarod had no right to tell her what to do. She wished he would stay away from her. Was there no way in the world that she would get some peace...to be alone. She had felt alone since the day her mother died. She didn't have any real friends, ecxept some of the people she worked with. Her father didn't seem to care that much either and yet she couldn't get away to be alone. Jarod and his stuped need to save the world! Well, she didn't need to be saved.

She wished that Daniel would get back alreay. He? Using her? What did Jarod know.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Jarod didn't fallow Miss Parker, but went back to the beach. Why did it never go the way he wanted with her? He had taken care of things much bigger, but he had no sucsess when it came to Parker. Then again, what was it he really wanted. Was it that he thought Daniel was using her? Was it something else? Jarod wasn't sure what it was, but he had a strange feeling about all that. Something he couldn't explain yet.

He started to walk to the house that stood next to Parker's and Daniel's. To the house where he was going to stay.
Part 7 by Gemini
Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used
without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.




Life Is Not A Game Anymore
part 7
by Gemini






The next day started quietly.

Miss Parker and Daniel sat in the kitchen, they drank coffee and read newspapers.

Actually Daniel read, Miss Parker stared at him and was deep in her thoughts.

Jarod was wrong, she thought! Daniel didn't want to use her! She was very lucky to have him in her life. She depended on him after Marie's death and he had been there for her.He had the answers that made her feel better and he cared about her.

Daniel smiled as he noticed that Miss Parker was looking at him.

"What are you thinking about?" he asked.

"Oh, nothing," answered Miss Parker with a smile.

"You know what, we should have a nice romantic dinner tonight. What do you think?" asked Daniel.

"I thoguth you're going out to work again," said Parker.

"Yes, but I'll be back by then."

Parker nodded. "A dinner sounds good."

She then went upstairs to her room. She was still a little angry with Jarod and she hoped that she wouldn't have to see him anymore.

She changed her mind when she saw the surprise Jarod had left her in her room.

As she entered, she saw a bunch of colorful balloons. The text on them said - Forgive me?

Parker couldn't hold back a smile. It had been a very long time since she was given balloons as a child.

She didn't even start to wonder how Jarod got them in there, however she couldn't let thme stay there, because she didn't want Daniel to see them. She decided to take them outside when Daniel was gone. She also decided to pay Jarod a visit, just out of curiosity, but before she wanted to call someone.

"This is Sydney," the voice at the other end said.

"Hi Sid, it's me."

"Parker! Where are you? We haven't heard from you for a while! Are you alright? Is something wrong?"

"Are you finished?" Parker asked with a smile. "I'm fine. I needed to get away for a while so I left. I just wanted to check how things are at the Centre."

"Everything is...wierd," said Sydney.

"You mean wierder than usually?"

"Yes. Since you left Jarod also disappeared. We have no clues on him. This is the biggest dead end ever!" explained Sydney.

Parker grinned. If he just knew how close Jarod actually was. Well, not close to the Centre, but to her. She actually enjoyed the power of knowing something no one else in the Centre knew. Her father and Raines had kept her out of things many many times and now she was playing with their favorite toy and they had no idea. She smiled as she thought of Lyle's expression if he would find out what was going on.

"Parker, are you there?" asked Sydney.

"I'm here. I don't want you to tell anyone that I called. Ok?"

"I won't. When are you coming back?"

Miss Parker thought about it for a moment.

"Hmmm...I really don't know," she said. "I have to go now."

Parker put down the phone and started to get ready for her visit.


* * * * * * * * * * * * *

The house that stood next to Parker's and Daniel's house belonged to a young man named Matthew Rivers, but everybody called him just Rivers. His parents, who were very rich, but extremely busy, had bought it for him.

He was an artist and it was a perfect place for him. He loved the ocean and he talked to it every day. He got inspiration and comfort from it .

He had agreed to let Jarod stay with him. The house was very big, but he only used one room as his bedroom and one room as his studio.

Jarod got a room next to Rivers' bedroom. It was nice and simple - all that Jarod needed.

Rivers was already up and working in his studio when Jarod woke up that morning.

He got dressed and went downstairs to the studio.

Rivers finished working on something. Jarod didn't understand it yet, but he was sure it had a deeper meaning.

"Good morning," Rivers said when he noticed Jarod.

"Good morning. You always get up this early?" asked Jarod, because he realised that Rivers had been working for hours.

"Not really, but today I'm going out with my friends, I'm actually leaving in couple of minutes, so the morning was the only time for me to paint," Rivers explained.

Jarod took a good look at the painting in front of him. "It's really good. Can I see more of your work?"

Rivers thought about it for a a second.

"Sure, I guess, but...I don't think I have anything around here. I've only kept some bigger paintings and then I sold them to some gallery," Rivers answered.

"What do you mean you kept only some paintings? You throw your work away?" Jarod asked with a surprise.

Rivers smiled. "I paint because I want to, Jarod. I paint my feelings, about some moment or about some thing that's going on...It's nothing big. I don't paint because I want to be famous or rich or something. I hate rich people."

Jarod was aware of Rivers family and of how rich they really ware, but he knew that at many cases, parents as busy as his had very little time for their children.

"But I haven't thrown everything away," Rivers continued and went to his bedroom to get himself ready. "Some stuff is up at the attic."

Jarod fallowed him to the bedroom and sat on his bed.

"Can I go see?" he asked.

"Sure, but I have to go now. I won't be back untill tomorrow morning, I think," said Rivers.

"Ok then, have fun with your friends!"

Rivers smiled and went outside.

Jarod got up to go to the attic, but heard the doorbell.

He went to open the door.

"Did you forget something?" asked Jarod, assuming that it was Rivers.

"No, I'm pretty sure I didn't," said Miss Parker and grinned.

"Oh, It's you! I thought it was my...come in!"

Miss Parker went inside. She took a look around. Rivers didn't seem to take very good care of his house, but there was something special about it.

"I must say I'm really surprised to see you," said Jarod. He looked at her to get a clue of her thoughts, but she was hiding them very well. Jarod wished that they wouldn't have that invisible wall between them. It hadn't been there when they were younger. It had been much easier to understand her. Now he only pretended to know her very well, even though sometimes he didn't.

"I hope I'm not interrupting anything," said Parker.

Jarod looked at the stairs. "Well actually I was going to the attic. Come on!"

He went to the stairs, but Parker didn't move.

"To the attic? Why were you going to the attic?" she asked and raised her eyebrow.

"I'll show you," said Jarod. He gently took her hand and pulled her to join him.

Parker quickly pulled her hand away, but fallowed him.

They entered an empty, dusty room. Since Rivers didn't have much furniture or things in the house, he didn't have anything up in the attic.

There was some kind of a pile at one corner, it was covered with an old sheet.

Jarod closed the door behind them and went towards it. Miss Parker fallowed him.

"What are you looking for?" she asked. She still didn't have a clue why Jarod had dragged her there.

Jarod pulled the cover off.

"Oh!" said Miss Parker with a surprise.

Rivers' work was amazing. The painting were just incredible. Jarod took some of them out from the pile. There was a little boy with a dog on one. They were playing on the beach. Another one had hundreds of faces on it. However, some of the paintings were very dark and Jarod couldn't understand them, but he knew that these had meanings for Rivers. Like he had said he was painting for himself.

"Whose are they?" asked Parker.

"They are pained by Matthew Rivers. He owns this house. As you can see, he's very talented."

Miss Parker nodded. "Maybe I could buy some of those? As a souvenir...when I go back."

Jarod put down the paintings and turned to Parker. Her face was still expressionless.

"You're going back? Already?" he asked and tried to hide his disappointment.

Parker heared it though and she was a little surprised by it. It was time to find out what Jarod was really up to.

"Well...why shouldn't I? What's keeping me here?" she asked.

"I thought...well why did you come here in the first place?"

Miss Parker seemed to think over Jarod's question for a while.

"I came to get away," she grinned. "Which was obviously very foolish of me."

"Why's that?" asked Jarod.

Miss Parker was getting a little angry. Was he teasing her? Or were his powers overrated?

"Did it ever occure to you that you might be one of those things I wanted to get away from?"she snapped.

Jarod almost wanted to ask why, but stopped. A clever smile appeared on his face even though he tried to hide it. How was it that he couldn't hide anything from her, but she remained a mystery to him.

Parker soon realised what he was smiling about. "One of those many, many, many things...many things!"

Now Jarod couldn't stop himself from laughing.

Even Miss Parker smiled when she realised that she didn't do any good to herself by saying that.

"I Didn't know I was that important...among those...many, many, many things," laughed Jarod.

Parker turned around."Unbelivable!"

She started to go to the door, because she wanted to get out of there.

Jarod fallowed her and stopped laughing. "I'm sorry," he smiled.

Parker didn't listen. "I'va had enough of you laughing at me!" she said. She tried to open the door, but the old thing stayed shut. She tried again. Nothing.

Jarod told her to step aside and tried himself. Still nothing. The door didn't come open.

"This is not funny! Jarod, open the door right now!" demanded Miss Parker.

Jarod tried again, but without a result. "It's stuck!"

Parker gave him a look that made him swallow hard. "It's not like I planned this! Honestly!" he said.

"As much as I know, you could have planned this all thing starting with Marie to get me here!" she yelled.

Once again Jarod started to laugh. He couldn't stop for minutes. After that he managed to mutter "Give me one reason why I would go through all this trouble to get you here?!"

"Who knows, this may be some sick payback of yours," said Parker.

Jarod sighed. This was going to be a long, long night.
This story archived at http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=1865