Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.
Author's Note: Beware! “English is not my mother tongue!”


L.A. Discoveries
part 1

by Nelle


Title: L.A. Discoveries part 1
Author: Nelle
E-mail’s author: nelle_aep@hotmail.com
Rating: PG-13
Category: S/AV
Spoilers: 1,2,3 seasons
Keywords: JMPR
Summary : Ms Parker finds out Lyle’s new agenda concerning the pretender chase and must take drastic measures to thwart his attempt. Little does she know where these choices are going to lead her.



The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
8:02 am

“God, another day in this hell…" thought Miss Parker. She got out of her car and made her way to her office trying to appear as untouchable as possible. Which was particularly a tricky thing seeing that as usual she had just a little dreamless sleep between her bottle of Vodka, Jarod's midnight call and her nightmares. Before entering in her office she took a coffee from a drink machine.

‘The third in an hour’ she thought. This would be definitely a bad day for her co-workers, but then what was new? She sat down and began doing red tape. Half an hour had passed when she got a call.

“What?" she answered in her icy tone.

“Angel, can you come in my office."

“Sure, I'm on my way Daddy."

She was greeted with the dialed tone. She closed her eyes let out a loud sigh and went to her father's office. She was sure that this meeting would be about the pretender hunt. So this would be a bad talk with her father who would tell her that she had failed yet again, he would remind her of their deal and he would finally let her go back to her work. She entered in his office quite ready to face his familiar disappointment.

***
“Good morning Daddy, you wanted to see me." she stated, looking at her father who still hadn't lift his eyes from his files. ‘How considerate!’

“Good morning Angel, so this lead in Atlanta?"

“Another dead-end, we arrived a day too late."

“Have you got any solid leads right now?"

“We're working on it."

The Chairman office door opened, Ms Parker didn't need to turn herself toward the unexpected visitor. She recognized him at his voice and instantly wanted to leave the room.

“Dad are you sure that she will-"

“LYLE!" Mr Parker almost shouted at his newfound son. “That's a door, you're supposed to Knock At It." enunciated Mr Parker sternly, looking straight into his eyes and then he gazed at his daughter again.

“Sorry." replied Lyle bitterly.

“So Lyle, who will be…??!"inquired Miss Parker, not hiding her interest in this new development.

“Hem… I-"

“I told you Lyle" Mr Parker replied, helping his son rather than interrupting him. “this meeting his your task, your sister's job is to bring back our pretender."

“Meeting about what?" asked Parker with a cool appearance though gathering as much information as she could get about Lyle's revelation and her father's obvious lie.

“Lyle has to meet a new Centre's client. Nothing that could interfere now with your job. Angel you really have to focus on Jarod! The sooner you bring him back, the better it will be. All right, Angel?!"

“Of course, Daddy."

‘He really thinks I'm an idiot or what?! Keep cool Parker, after all you're your father's daughter. I can play his game too.’
She grinned in her fake way to her father.

“That's my girl, well I think it's time to go back to your work. Good bye Angel."

“Good bye Daddy." replied Parker as she turned on her heels. She went to the door in front of which Lyle was standing at the moment.

“Lyle" she said while looking at him with suspicious eyes.

“Good bye Sis!" he told her, with a little stress to the Sis, showing he had regained all his composure.

She exited the office and headed straight to the tech room.

***
Tech room
9:07 am

Miss Parker entered the tech room and was glad to see Broots trying to hide himself behind his computer. She came toward him and got eye-level with him.

“G-Good morning Miss Parker." said a really shaky Broots who wondered where might be Sydney at this moment.

“Tell me Broots, I have just had a meeting with my father about Frankenboy without him in the Centre, Right?" she asked almost sweetly.

“Ri-Right."

“So Broots, tell me is that really a good morning for me?" she asked again, venom coming by each passing seconds.

“Hem… nnot really?" he tried, but knew it was too late anyway. Would he ever learn to keep his mouth shut?

“Well Broots, I promise you that if you don't find anything on Jarod, this day will be the worst of your dude life… Is that clear?" She knew this was a bad cliché but she had still her mind too much focused on Lyle's slip to come up with anything else.

“Crystal clear Mi-" he swallowed “Ms Parker."

“I hope for you that it is, Bozo."

He brought his attention back to his computer now begging God to bring him a lead so that he would still be in one piece when his boss left the room. Seeing her mood, it seemed the odds were against him. It was at this moment that Sydney joined them.

“Hello Ms Parker, Broots."

“A little late, Syd" said Parker, her tone showing her annoyance.

“I'm sorry, I had a problem with my car."

“Well that doesn't really matter Syd, because right now" she turned again toward Broots with the 'if looks could kill’ “we DON'T have any SOLID LEADS on Wonder boy."

At those words Broots doubled his type speed, amazing himself.

“Ms Parker, is there something else bothering you?" the shrink asked as he settled himself in one of the four leather chairs of the room.

“Well, my psycho twin has interrupted the meeting I had with my father, asking him if he was really sure that a woman will not…" she let the words hung up in the air.

“Will not what?" asked the doctor studying her feature for some clues.

“That's the problem Sydney, Lyle is involved in something and I don't know what it is!" She paused then went on “Broots, I want you to check on everything in the Centre coming from and to Lyle: the jet, phone call, E-mail… Everything that is relative to Lyle."

He nodded, knowing that a talk about the difficulties of this new task would just pissed her off more.

“Miss Parker, you've got something in mind?" Sydney inquired in this gentle voice that Parker had become to despise but longed for.

“I'm not sure right now about what Lyle is working on, but it was obvious that he and my father didn't want me to interfere in this."

“Do you think that might be something about Jarod?" ventured Sydney, warning bells going off in his head.

“I don't know but that's a great possibility… I really don't like this Sydney."

“Miss Parker, Lyle’s just ordered the Centre jet for a travel to Los Angeles!"

“Reserved me a place on the first flight to L.A. Broots, and in FIRST class." she shouted.

‘Better be dead than stuck in second place between weirdoes and losers.’

“You’re going alone Miss Parker?" asked Sydney unhappily to his younger co-worker.

He was getting more and more upset with this turn of situation. If Lyle was involved, Jarod would be as well sooner or later, of that he was sure. He knew that if Parker went to L.A, it was to make sure that Lyle didn't have his own agenda about the Pretender. But if Lyle were there for this purpose, what would the Ice-Queen do? And if Lyle knew that she was there to spy on him what would he do? Lyle was a psycho, if he wanted to, he would kill her without remorse. Of course Parker was able to take care of herself, but alone against Lyle and his team…

“Stop baby-sitting me Daddy-Syd, I'm a big girl!" she said in her usual 'I can take care of my self’ tone and tried to hide the smile that's Sydney's caring brought to her lips.

“Well, you see Broots: Finally you will have a nicer day than you could have wished for half an hour ago."

Broots avoided eye contact with her, Parker really enjoyed the power she had over him, teasing him always made her day!

“Be careful, Parker."

“You know me Syd."

“That's why I’m telling you that."

Sydney smiled to Miss Parker, who returned him a warm smile. This time she wasn't able to hide it.

Sydney was happy that she opened more herself to him. This behavior shift had come after the shooting she had been victim 3 months earlier. But of course she was more the Ice-Queen than ever with other people, especially her family…

***
On a commercial plane
Somewhere between Blue Cove and L.A.
10:46 am

Miss Parker was deep in thought, so much that she was almost forgetting her drink.

‘To the beginning Parker, why would Lyle and Daddy hide their other lead on Jarod?

Because Lyle wants to bring back Wonder boy all by himself, so the Triumvirate will bring him more power in the Centre. But then Daddy would be powerless and dear old Daddy wants everything except that! So why would they work together?’

That wasn't making any sense to her, she took a sip of her scotch and search for others possibilities.

‘Maybe Lyle has got something against our father or it's the contrary? Or it is something else, and Jarod is not involved or indirectly? Well… If it's that one, that could explain why Lyle and Daddy work together. Since Jarod isn't in the foreground, they will not betray each other. However when Jarod enters into action then...who knows whom will be still alive?’
Miss Parker stop hypothesizing. She finished her scotch and lit a cigarette. She had stop for a whole year, nonetheless this morning she had brought with her a packet. ‘It's for the anxiety…’she told herself as she took a long drag savoring the taste on her tongue.

“Heaven" she whispered beaming, she hadn't realized that she had craved for it this much. It was a bad thing for her ulcer but somehow, right now, she didn't give a damn! As if being in the Centre wasn't bad enough for it anyway!
Miss Parker began smiling unaware. She was very satisfied with another point, she had an hour of advance on Lyle so she would be fully prepared when he arrived in L.A.
She lifted her hand and asked a tall handsome steward for another scotch.

Glancing around her for the first time of her flight, she took in that there were only two other persons sharing the first class area. She gave a look through the porthole, watching silently the cloudy sky. She was bothered with it in three minutes, so she went back to her musing.

She knew that timing would be one of the most important things of her day.

‘Yeah, a good timing can save your ass just ask for lessons from the Genius!!’

‘No, I will not think about him now, I've more important thing in mind than this lab-rat!’

She could imagine so easily his face with his boyish grin and
his dark brown magnetic eyes… She finished her drink at these thoughts.

‘Why is he always on my mind? Damn him!’

She closed her eyes and decided that it would be a lot better for her state of mind and her ulcer to sleep.

***
L.A.
Airport
15.26 pm

Miss Parker was sitting at a café in front of the airport, waiting for her twin and his personal sweeper team.
Earlier, she had got the time to make an hotel reservation, to pull up her gun and to rent a car. Now she was ready to challenge Lyle at his favorite game: prying.

She lit a cigarette while taking another look at the airport: A little team of sweepers exited it, leading them was Lyle with his little evil grin firmly anchored on his face.

She was still wondering how this man could be related to her mother.

‘Well that's not the time to find out the answer.’

She threw one dollar on the table and went to her car.

Following them was a piece of cake for her but she stayed in secured distance. They drove for an hour then slowed down and came in a middle-class district.

‘Definitely not Jarod's style of hidden place.'

The car stopped behind a square. Quickly they began to set out in all the area.

‘They are here to catch someone but who?’

Miss Parker exited her car and came closer to the action place.

The sweepers were encircling a building in which Lyle entered. Parker saw a little street that came straight to both the exit and the emergency exit. She grinned and thought 'What a bunch of amateurs!’. Lyle's sweepers team really needed a lesson in securing an area. Although she didn't mind, this was all in her benefit.

‘If they are searching someone in this building then he or she will escape this way’. She hid herself in the shadow and waited for the action to begin.

***
She didn't have to wait very long, she heard three shots and then saw two women taking the exited ladders like the devil was on her very heels.

“We have to separate my girl!" the older woman said.

Hearing the plea, the younger one turned her head to her and stopped her descent. “No mom, the last time I heard this was when we lost Dad! Come on! We will make it!"

The older woman shook her head and responded “We don't have time to argue, we separate. Don't wait for me sweetheart, now GO!"

The younger one lifted her eyes toward hers, she stopped again then nodded and jumped to the floor and headed straight to the grating which separated the streets. She climbed over it with cat like movement but stopped again to have one last look at the older woman who shouted “Go please darling! GO!" At this, she disappeared in the other street.

At the same time, Lyle arrived in this street too.

“Willie she is over there, catch her or I swear I will kill you!" He shouted his command never leaving his eyes from his prey.

The woman stood in the street watching Lyle walking toward her his gun aimed at her.

“Margareth, it's so nice to finally meet you! Now let’s make it perfect, come with me without making me hurt you."

Miss Parker was still in the shadow, she could see the back of Lyle and the woman's face. She noticed no fear in her or if there was fear it came not because of Lyle but more because of the sound of shooting in the other street.

“I am not coming with you, Mr Lyle." she said in a calm voice her eyes challenging his.

“I'm sorry, well no I'm not sorry at all, you Don't have any other choice." He told her grinning, enjoying the whole situation.

“If I go to the Centre it will be dead not otherwise." she replied in the same tone.

“Well after all, maybe your proposition is more appropriate than mine." he replied in an evil tone.

Miss Parker knew this tone, it was the same Lyle used when speaking about what he do to Jarod when he would have him back in his hands. It was the warning of a coming death.
Parker didn't know why but she had made a decision, she was not going to let Lyle hurt this woman. She scanned the area quickly: There were no sweepers, just Lyle's back for target, so much tempting!

She came to them slowly making no noise despite her heels. The woman didn't see her, she was still looking at Lyle's eyes with all the strength she could muster. Parker put her gun on Lyle's neck, a smile breaking on her face at the situation.

Sensing the sudden cool and hard metal on his neck, he froze. He hadn't heard anything behind him.

‘It can't be Emily she was in the other street with Willie on her heels, or maybe I was not enough focused… DAMMIT!’ his mind screamed with rage.

Parker made a big pressure on his neck, he let fall his gun on the floor and began to put his arm to the sky. However she didn't let him finish, she hit him hard on the back of his skull and watched him fell on the ground knocked out.
It was then that the woman saw Ms Parker. She blinked a few times, the shock could be read on her face. She didn't have time to speak, a sweeper was coming after her but Ms Parker had heard him coming too. He shot immediately, Parker managed to protect the woman putting her down the floor under her while she shot three times at him.

One bullet in his left leg, another in the right foot.

‘Great! Just great!’ she thought sarcastically, kicking herself mentally for her lousy aimed.

He shot again, this time he didn't miss. Parker felt herself pushed backward to the grating as a burning fire coursed her arm.

‘You son of a bitch!’

Parker aimed him at the head and shot, she didn't miss too. She then tried to stand up but failed miserably.

“Dammit! "she gasped, hurt lacing her words.

The woman came toward her and helped her to stand up slowly.

“The team will be here in a minute, follow me, my car is parked over there." Miss Parker whispered through clenched teeth.

They used the same way that Parker’d taken ten minutes before. Fives feet before heading to the car Miss Parker tumbled on the street. The amount of blood loss made her light headed, she was getting paler and weaker by each new step. The woman put her on her feet, took the key of the car and helped Parker to sit in the passenger side seat. She looked around a last time and appeared a little relieved but Parker didn't see the change in her feature. After buckling both of their seat belts, the woman drove them out of this Centre mess.

Few miles later, the old woman asked the wounded brunette “Miss Parker? Miss Parker, can you hear me?" her tone was getting a little panicked.

“Yeah, I - I can hear you… Oh God! This son of a bitch shot me! Shit, it hurts like hell." she answered each breath she took was a torture to her. The bullet had hit her in her torso, under her right shoulder.

“How…" she stopped, took an other breath and continued “You know me?"

“Yes, you are so like Catherine!" the woman anwered giving her a quick glance then refocused her attention on the road, leaving L.A. behind them.

“Who are you?" Parker whispered she was trying to stay conscious with all the strength she had left.

“You don't know me?" asked the woman taken aback by Miss Parker's question.

“…N-No…"Parker closed her eyes, she was utterly exhausted and ached everywhere.

“I am Margareth Russell, a friend of your mother, and Jarod's mother."

That was enough to achieve Miss Parker who fell unconscious.

Magareth was really surprised that Miss Parker didn't know her. She had always presumed that she had known, all the times of the chase, hers and her family's members identities. And that she had just keep Jarod in the dark.

‘Well, maybe her father didn't brainwashed her completely, nonetheless she had grew up in the Centre without the good influence of her mother.’

It was difficult for Margareth to determine in which side Miss Parker was.

‘Of course she saved my life, but at that time she didn't know who I really was! Wait a minute she risked her life for a total stranger? It isn't the Parker's style at all.’

Magareth looked at the unconscious woman, the bleeding has stopped but she has lost a lot of it, she would be weak… Margareth smiled at this thought.

‘Parker, weak? Right! Even with a bullet in her chest she has been able to get ride of this sweeper!’

She would be in fragile health for a week or two.

‘It's strange, during four years she has chased my son to bring him back to this hell and finally she saved her mother's prey life.’

They were now an hour away from L.A. and it seemed that they were not followed. Margareth took the first exit that came to her and drove to the nearest town. There she stopped at the dispensing, Miss Parker would need surgery really soon. So she bought some Pain-killer, First-Aid kit and some sleep draught pills, then she drove to the nearest motel.

**
Motel 'the Sunset’
17:08 pm

“Welcome to the Sunset Madam, can I help you?» The clerk greeted her.

“Yes, a room for two please."

“One bed?"

“No, two please.» she smiled wondering what could have been Parker’s reaction if she had to sleep with her. A Kodak moment for sure!

“Here you are, room 21 on the second floor.» he said in a cheerful tone.

“Is there a private parking-lot?"

“Of course, the entrance is behind the motel. It's an underground one."

“Thank you."

She came back to the car, Parker was sleeping now but she was still very pale. Margareth parked the car, took the pharmacy shopping and went to the room. Then she helped Parker getting out of the car and supported her as they made their way to the room. Parker clenched her teeth and didn't let out a sound even though her chest felt like in flame.

‘Can somebody tell me why I didn't stay in the Centre today?!’ she thought bitterly.

‘Just because problems and bullets have a magnetic effect on you!’ a little voice answered her, it had the same tone that Sydney usually used with his 'I told you so!’ look. That made her sicker. If she didn't sit down very soon, she was going to collapse.

“Hang on, we are almost there." said a voice, she was too exhausted to focus on it.

The next thing she felt was a bed, a glass of water and 'thanks God’ a painkiller. Then all was black.

“Well I think it's better if she sleeps while I play nurse." said Margareth relieved to finally be safe from the Centre and Miss Parker for a few time.

She cleaned the wound with some alcohol soaked towels and then made her a dressing.

After that she took a chair and came sitting near Parker's form.

‘That's amazing how she looks like Catherine, well the only differences are her eyes. It's the same blue but in Catherine's eyes joy and love irradiated from them. In hers, I have only seen strength and cold determination.'

The only good thing she had to think of was that Emily had taken the car they had left in the same street in which Miss Parker had parked. She had been so relieved to see that the blue Ford Taurus was missing. But now she was alone, first Jarod then Kyle then her husband and now Emily…’Well I'm not really alone I'm with my son's huntress!!’ she ironized.
Miss Parker awoke slowly feeling a bit dizzy.

'Where am I? Oh yeah, Lyle's little bastard sweeper shot me!’

“Hum… Two shot wounds in three months, that's my new record!" she whispered bitterly while opening her eyes and taking a look at her new surrounding.

“How are you feeling?" Margareth asked with concern.

“Frankly, I feel like shit!" Parker said in her usual manner though a bit uncomfortable by the concern this woman was displaying on her behalf.

Parker made eye contact with her.

“I think I have to thank you for taking care of my wound." she told her in an unreadable voice.

“You don't have to, you saved my life first, so it is me who has to thank you." Margareth said with recognition.

Miss Parker laughed bitterly at that.

“Mrs Russell, I think I am the last person to be thanked by you!» she shook her head slightly not believing the situation she was in.

“You know as well as me that I am working for the corporation which had sequestrated both of your sons and which is still after your family members."

She paused and observed the woman who was sitting in front of her.

“And that I am the leader of the Jarod’s hunt."

Margareth nodded and answered “That’s true that your job is to bring back Jarod to the Centre but I know as well that your job didn't include to save my life from your brother or to let my daughter run away."

Miss Parker noticed nothing like fear or anger in the woman eyes which didn’t help her to understand her behavior.
‘It's me who has made Jarod's life a living hell for 4 years now and she doesn't hate me? Who is she? Mother Theresa?!!’ Parker sighed perplexed at this mystery. God, she was exhausted! She leaned back on the mattress before asking “How long have I been out?"

“2 hours and you need a few more hours of rest."

“I have to make a call."

“Who are you calling?" Margareth inquired but still kept her gentle manner.

“Only my co-workers.» Parker snapped annoyed by this woman questioning her actions.

“Do you mind if I ask why?" Margareth kept using the same tone, even knowing what effect it had on her.

“I have to warn Sydney that Lyle is after you and Emily. And I also have to tell Broots to make some false leads on Jarod so that will explain my disappearance to the power that be."

Miss Parker didn't know why, but this woman’s tone of voice was really annoying her. She tried to stand up but two hands gently stopped her.

“I will take it, just stay there. You lost a lot of blood so you really need to keep your strength." Margareth released Parker's arms and went to the bathroom taking the Cell from Parker's ruined jacket. She was on her way back to Catherine's daughter when she heard her young wounded savior asked “Mrs Russell could you bring me my cigarettes and lighter too?"

Margareth smiled at that, she took them and went back to Miss Parker's side.

“Here you are." she smiled again at Parker.

“Thank you." Parker replied not enough icily for her liking.

She took the Cell, pushed the speed dial and lit a cigarette.

“This is Sydney." answered the doctor, exhaustion and worries breaking through his voice.

“Make it safe." said Parker to her old friend.

‘The Centre doesn't have to know where I am and with who, does it?’ Parker thought cynically. She waited half a minute then Sydney spoke again.

“Miss Parker, how are you?"

“I am a little bored to be shot, otherwise I'm fine Syd."

“SHOT?! What happened?"

“I know now what had Lyle so occupied Syd! He was searching Jarod's mother and sister. And this bastard found them."

“Lyle has them? My God…"

“Don't worry Syd, Emily has gotten away easily and Jarod's Mother is with me but that's not why I am calling. Sydney, Lyle doesn't know that it's me who knocked him out but he will be suspicious. Try with Broots to make some fake leads on Jarod and convinces the Centre with whatever you can that I'm after him. If Lyle and my father don't buy it, well I think we both know what it will mean!» Parker was more and more tired but tried to not let it appear.

“Miss Parker, are you ok?"

‘Damn, you know me too well Syd…’

“I am just tired Freud, don't worry."

“What are you going to do Parker? And when will you come back?"

“I don't know Syd. I can't come back to the Centre right now. I will call you tomorrow."

“All right, take care of yourself Miss Parker.» said Sydney genuinely.

“I will Syd."

She cut off her phone and lit another cigarette.

Margareth, who had exited the room during the phone call, came back to her chair and faced Miss Parker with the same smile on her face.

“So, is everything okay?"

“We will have the answer tomorrow, if the Centre doesn't buy the fake pieces of information made by Broots and Sydney… Well I think I will be in first position on the Termination list."

“If you're in this position, what will you do? Leave the Centre and disappear?"

“We don't leave the Centre Mrs Russell and your family is making its experiment about this.» snapped Parker.

“Or maybe you don't want to leave?» asked Margareth, her voice never waving.

“You know, I’ve always wondered if it is because of Sydney that Jarod is so stubborn but now I know, it's genetic!"

“What are you afraid of, Melissa?"

Miss Parker almost jumped at that. She gave her most deadly look and asked more icily than ever.

"How. Do. You. Know. My. Name?"

“I told you that I was a friend of your mother."

“Before or after Jarod was in the Centre?» Parker sneered.

“We were in the same high school class during 3 years. She was a really good friend, with a golden heart."

Miss Parker didn't say anything, she was too tired to search the truth in this talk and speaking of her mother was really difficult for her. It always reopened old wounds but never brought some clues to find some closure about it.

“I am exhausted, I think it would be better for me to take some rest right now." she turned her head and was now looking at the window.

“Of course… I'm sorry if I have offended you.» She stood up and left Miss Parker's room.

Miss Parker sighed then closed her eyes and fell immediately asleep.

***
The Centre, Tech-room
Blue Cove, Delaware
17:26 pm

Sydney hung up his phone and turned towards Broots.

“Syd, what's wrong, Miss Parker…?"

“She's got herself in a Centre plot, a big one Broots." said Sydney in a worried voice.

“Is she all right?" the techie inquired.

“She's been shot but don't worry Broots she is fine."

“What did she tell you?» he asked more by habits than by real desire to know.

‘I'm sure I will not like that. I’m sure I will not like that. I'm sure I will not like that.’ his inner voice chanted over and over again.

“She needs our help, we have to make some fake leads on Jarod so that will explain why she's not at the Centre at the moment."

“Fa-fake leads, Sydney, I… If somebody finds out, we’ll… No I’d rather not want to think of what will happen to us if it is the case…"

“Broots, if we don't do this quickly, Parker will be in more trouble than what you can even imagine… The T-board will be a walk in the park compared to what they will do to her. We must help her!"

Sydney made eye contact with Broots who was therefore able to see all the worries reflected in the Doctor's eyes.
‘My God, he really means this… They will eliminate her or what will be worse: they will re-educate her, but she's a Parker! Her father would never allow this, would he?’

“Ok Syd, well I think we better get to work." Broots grinned like a fool.

‘I must have completely lost my mind!! But after all, I owe that to her. She protected Debby and me several times in the past.’

“Thank you Broots, I will never forget that one!» said Sydney relieved.

They worked hard on their new 'assignment' for hours. Even chasing Jarod was better than crossing the red line with the Centre.

“So Broots, is everything all right?» asked the old man suppressing a yawn.

“I think it is Syd, if anyone wants to search something about the pretender's chase well he will only find Jarod's dead-end as always."

“Perfect Broots, maybe that will be enough to give Parker a good cover, it must work…" Sydney sighed deeply and ran a hand through his white hair.

"Broots, I think we can call it a day."

"You're right Syd, I'm tired as hell."

They both exited the tech-room, and had just gone a few feet away when Lyle stopped them.

‘Perfect ending for a perfect day!’ thought the shrink, giving a quick reassuring glance at the techie.

“Broots, Sydney, you're leaving this early? And how amazing there's a missing-one! Where is my sister and don't even try to fool me, I'm NOT in the mood for that."

"Why Lyle, we have never fooled you." Sydney said coolly. It was more than thirty years that he was dealing with the Parkers, he knew them like the back of his hand.

"Where. Is. My. Sister?!"

"Sh-she is following a lead on Jarod in New York, Mist-mister Lyle" Broots stammered miserably.

‘God if he found out I'm a dead-man!! This psycho will torture me before killing me, shit why am I in that holly-shit fucking hell!’

“And if she is in NY why are the two of you here?"

“You know how is your sister Lyle! She said that she would go alone so that we would not slow her down. And she added that if it would be an another dead-end, she wanted us to look for any other solid leads. So here we are."

“Sydney, you really think I'm a moron?» said Lyle holding his gaze at his two sister's co-workers.

“I will never think of you like that, I'm just telling you the truth."

‘Of course, when I think of you I think about Hannibal Lecter!! Come on Lyle, think about it, it's Parker's style anyway. Yeah, be suspicious as well, is there anybody in the Centre who is not?’

“When will she come back?"

Sydney felt a big knot in his stomach disappeared after Lyle's answer but he didn't show it, with the Parkers all was about control and behavior.

“She said she would be at the Centre by tomorrow afternoon or the day after."

Lyle watched them, lifting an eyebrow at Broots who squirmed a bit at this. He snorted then walked away heading to his office.

***
Sydney was intensely watching the road but his mind was far away.

‘Lyle's after Emily… So the Triumvirate must have given up on Jarod in a way. It's true that having Emily and Jarod's mother could be very valuable for them. They could be the bait which would surely bring Jarod back to the Centre, and more, maybe the Centre would kill two birds with one stone: It could maybe even have two Pretenders.'

***
Motel 'the Sunset'
Miss Parker and Mrs Russell’s room
18:39 p.m.

Miss Parker woke up slowly, her first thought being: 'Shit, that wasn't a dream!’

She opened her eyes and scanned the room. She was alone, no traces of Margareth.

She tried to stand up but a high pain stopped her in her move. She exhaled sharply, then clenched her teeth and tried again. Supporting herself with her right hand on the empty chair, she slowly walked to the chest of drawers where laid her Cell and her 9mm. When she reached the wooden piece of furniture, she took a hold on it trying not to faint.

‘God, I'm really fed up with being the sweepers’ target practice… This time that was really too short… Damn them! When I come back I will… Well if I can come back.’ She took her phone and put on the speed dial.

"This is Sydney."

"It's me Syd. So what's up?"

"Well as you expected it, Lyle had some suspicions about your absence. He even paid us a visit. I'm not sure if he really bought what I told him but I think it will give you enough time to come back. Broots and I have made fake leads on Jarod in New York and Boston. I think everything is under control as for now."

"Thank you Syd." she whispered strengthless.

"Ms Parker, are you all right? Maybe coming back this soon is not a good idea, you need to rest more than a day for this type of wound."

"I'm fine Syd, I just need a little sleep…"

"Hum… Whatever you say Ms Parker." Sydney was so sick to see her pulling herself over her limits.

"I'll be back tomorrow."

"Ms Parker what are you going to do about Jarod's mother?"

"Frankly Syd, I didn't think about it yet."

And after those words she hung up.

***
Blue Cove, Delaware
Sydney’s home
18:43 p.m.

Sydney hung up and tried desperately to relax but it was a lost fight.

How did they end up like this?

What could he have done differently?

These were questions he was never able to answer…
Shaking his head slowly while taking a deep breath he focused on another trail of thought, as what would happen tomorrow…

‘Parker is alone with Jarod's mother… She wouldn't bring this woman with her back to the Centre, even though she would do anything in her power to get Jarod, she would not use his family against him. Family is as important to her as to Jarod. True that he is always teasing her and making her totally mad at him, but she would never use family bonds to catch him.'

‘What shall I do now? Warn Jarod that Lyle is after his family? But this is what Lyle planned, using his family to make Jarod exposed himself… But he has the right to know the truth and the danger awaiting his family.’

It was at this moment that his Cell rang. He stared at it knowing fully well that it would be neither Parker, nor Broots. Finally he picked it up and answered it.

“This is Sydney."

“Good evening Sydney.» said an unmistakable voice.

“Good evening Jarod. How are you?"

“Well I'm fine Syd, it's just that I didn't see the three of you on my heels for a long time now. Is Ms Parker getting bored of the chase?"

“Of course not. We are really busy at the moment, you know how it is in the Centre.» said Sydney still trying to avoid the sore subject.

“Really busy that's it. What is going on Sydney?"

Sydney didn't answer his question, how could he tell him that he knew where was his mother he'd been looking for for 4 years now. And what is more, that Parker was with her.

“Sydney, you're still here? What's wrong?"

“I think you should call someone-else Jarod."

“What do you mean?"

“Jarod listen, I think you should call Miss Parker."

“Why? Has she put herself in trouble again? Where is she?" Jarod was getting worried at his mentor answer.

‘Why doesn't Sydney want to tell me what is going on? Since I left the Centre he's always managed to play fair with me. Why can't he do it now?’

“Well, I think it's not up me to tell you that right now."
Sydney hung up, hoping that Miss Parker would do the right thing about this.

***
Motel ‘the Sunset’
MP and Mrs Russell’s room
18:43 pm

Miss Parker was too tired to stand up anymore she got back to bed bringing the cell and her 9mm with her. When she was in horizontal again and that the world around her decided to stop spinning like mad, she began thinking what she would have to say to her father and her twin about her absence.
‘I will just have to do it as usual: It was a dead-end, there were no traces of Jarod or of the boy and the Major.’

The front door of their room opened. Miss Parker took immediately her gun and removed the safety.

Her door opened, she aimed at it however it was only Margareth.

“Well, it seems that you react really quickly even with a wound shot."

“It's included in my job." Miss Parker put down her gun on the bed next to her pillow.

“So where were you gone?"

“I was out to buy some food, I think there will be enough for two days."

“Well, you will have some extra because I am leaving tomorrow morning."

“You can't be serious! You’re in no condition to face your twin right now."

“I said I WILL leave, so please don't give me your crap warnings, I know how to take care of my self!"

“So you're leaving… And me, do I have to come with you?"

Miss Parker stared at the woman then answered.

“You know, I saved your ass earlier and I took a damn bullet for that. And as I'm not really sadomasochistic enough to take another bullet for you, you will not come with me in the Centre."

“But…Jar"

“Today, I wasn't in L.A, I didn't meet you, I was following a lead on your son in NY. That's it."

Margareth smiled warmly at Miss Parker, seeing that Miss Parker rolled her eyes.

“Thank you.» she whispered.

Miss Parker didn't have the time for a sarcastic reply, her Cell was ringing, praying it was neither her twin nor her father she picked up the phone.

“What?" she weakly asked

“Miss Parker? Are you all right? I've called Sydney and he told me to call you. What's going on Parker?"

Miss Parker closed her eyes.

‘What shall I do now?’

“Parker?"

‘Everybody deserves a family. However in Jarod's case discovering his family will drive him to disappear forever from the Centre… Am I still valuable for them if I don't bring Jarod back? And if I don't, it means I will never be free… Face it Parker they have always told you lies, and so was it with the deal. You belong to the Centre, you're a Parker.’

Miss Parker opened her eyes and looked at Margareth's eyes, which made the decision for her.

“Jarod, there's someone here who really wants to speak with you.» she said in a calm tone.

She gave her Cell to Margareth, and in an ultimate fit of strength, made her way to the other room. Before exiting she heard Margareth's voice

“Thank you Melissa, thank you so much!"

Then she closed the door, went to the other bed and fell asleep immediately.

***
Motel ‘the Sunset’
6:30 am

Miss Parker was ready to leave the room, she had called a cab, reserved a seat on a plane for Delaware. She had just finished to pack her things and was about to leave when she thought better of it. She made a quick note to Margareth and then she finally left.

‘Time to go back to lions’ den!’

***
Motel ‘the Sunset’
6:37 am

Margareth came into the room and was greeting by empty space.

‘She's gone.’

She saw a sheet of paper on the night table, she grabbed it and read:

"Margareth,
Don't worry, I will not come back with a sweeper team, but remember that Lyle is after you and Emily. The next time you face him, he will do whatever he can to catch the both of you.

Enjoy the meeting with your son, you deserve it both. Just don't tell him I say so!
MP"

‘Melissa… Why don't you just disappear from the Centre, you too deserve a normal life.'

***
Commercial plane first class
somewhere between L.A. and Blue Cove.

‘Well, it's almost over now… God where did I put the painkillers?!’

She found them and drained two of them with a glass of water.

‘This day really has to end quickly or I will collapse in front of Lyle or worse Raines!’

She looked at her watch: 9:48am.

‘I have another hour to wait and then we will land off in Delaware.’

She heard a little voice in the back of her mind saying that she had to gather all the strength she could and for once she obeyed it and slept.

***
The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
11:04 am

Miss Parker was trying to show herself as usual: icy and strong, but when you've been shot the day before it was really harder to do it.

She entered the Tech room, immediately aware of Lyle's presence with her co-workers.

“Working hard boys?" she said sarcastic as usual.

“Sis, you've come back. So this lead on Jarod?"

“Well, NY was a dead-end but maybe Boston will be the good one."

“Yeah, maybe."

"Lyle don't you have some work to do? Or you missed me so
much that you're going to stay here all day long just staring at me with glassy eyes as you are doing right now!" she snapped.

“I did miss you Sis! But I do have work to do, so see you!"

He exited the room to the obvious relief of his twin.

“Bastard!" said Parker.

“So, Ms Parker?" asked the doctor.

“So what Syd? I told you that it was a big possibility that it was a dead-end and so was it. Boys, what about having a real lunch today?"

“That will be my pleasure, Ms Parker.» replied the old man with a smile lighting his feature.

“Yeah I don't remember the last time I had a lunch outside the Centre!" added Broots.

“So what are we doing here, let's go I'm starving!"

***
Blue Cove, Delaware
'the French trip’
11:33 a.m.

The three were settled at a table in a corner of the restaurant, they had just made their order and were now waiting for their drink.

The waiter gave Miss Parker her scotch, Sydney his gin and Broots his kir.

Parker took another painkiller and swallowed it with her drink, Sydney was staring at her intensely.

“What?!"

“Ms Parker, that's obvious that you're in pain! You need to get some rest!"

“Sydney, I'm fine. And right now what I need more is to stop Lyle in his suspicion about my loyalties. And relating to that, I want to thank both of you for risking your ass to save mine."

“You would have done the same for us Miss Parker.» said Broots genuinely.

“Broots, I think it's the first time since Donoterase that you didn't stammer in your sentence."

Broots, who was looking at his glass on the table the whole time, held up his head and saw maybe for the first time a real Parker smile directed at him. He smiled a little a slight blush reddening his cheeks.

“Miss Parker, about Jarod's mother."

“Well I think that the Russell mother’s and son’s meeting is today, Syd."

“You've let them meet."

“What can I say Syd, it must be something cosmic or it's just because I was shot the same week by a sweeper of my brother and that I just want to have a little revenge on my twisted mutant twin!"

“Miss Parker you know that you can't tell me lies!» Sydney chuckled.

Broots was in a shock hearing this piece of news.

“You let Jarod meet his mother! But he is going to disappear after that, we will never be able to find him!"
A Cell rang, the three were looking for the good one.

“It's not mine» said Sydney.

“Neither is it mine." said Broots.

“What?!» answered Parker.

“Good Morning, Ms Parker."

“Hello Jarod."

The two men turned toward Miss Parker at this last word.

***
Few miles from San Francisco's airport
commercial plane
earlier that day

Jarod had never been so excited in his life, today he would be able to meet his mother. He would be able to take her in his arms and tell her all the things he has always wanted to say, after all those years he would finally know who he was and had his family back.

'And I owed all of this to Parker…’


Jarod's flashback

“Jarod my boy!"

“Mom?"

“Yes, it's me darling! Oh God knows how much I missed you, I love you so much my boy!"

“I - I love you to mom! But why are you, I mean how in earth are you…"

“I was hiding in L.A. with your sister."

“Is Emily with you?"

“No darling we'd to separate because Lyle found us."

“Are you all right, did he hurt you?!"

“I'm fine Jarod, Lyle didn't have the time to hurt me because Ms Parker knocked him out before he could do anything!"

“You mean that she rescued you?! But that's impossible, the Centre would…"

“She did rescue us, she let Emily ran away and helped me to disappear. But she got injured, a sweeper shot her…”

“She has been SHOT! How is she?"

“Well I don't know her for long but she seems to be really strong."

“There's a but?"

“She has lost a lot of blood, though she wants to come back to the Centre tomorrow."

There was a pause, Jarod was in shock. He was speaking to his mother he hadn't see since his childhood, and now she was saying that Parker was coming back to the Centre! A fear he had never experimented before was tightening his heart. If anything happened to his mother there would be hell to pay even for Parker.

“Jarod, don't worry son, I trust her. She saved my life! Earlier she said that she was going back alone, I'm sure she will not send a sweeper team after me."

“Mom, where are you?"

“I'm in a motel at an hour from L.A. It's called the Sunset."

“Just stay where you're, I will be there by tomorrow morning!"

“I love you my boy! Be careful, maybe Lyle's team is still in L.A."

“Lyle is not a problem for me, but I'm a problem for him now! I love you, please don't try anything before I come here."

“I promise Jarod, be careful my boy."

“I will, good night mom, I love you."

End of the flashback


Jarod took a sip of his hot chocolate and looked at his watch: 07:40 am.

‘She was spying on Lyle, I'm sure she was there to see if Lyle had a lead on me! If I have my hands on this bastard, he will know what revenge means to me. He killed Kyle and now he's after my mom and my sister! He will not get away with it!

Calm down Jarod, where was I? Yea, Parker. Why did she come back to the Centre without Mom? After all it's been four years that she's been after me and now that she has the best bait she could ever dream for she doesn't use it! Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe she doesn't want me to come back to the Centre… Of course, when it will freeze in Hell! No, it's not that. So what?! Why would she do this?!

Maybe just to make her own little mind games on me?’

He finished his drink and looked through the porthole: L.A., the city of angels.

'After all maybe destiny exists!’

***
L.A. in one of its airports
30 minutes later.

Jarod exited the plane and headed directly to take his luggage back. He took his bag with his left hand, gripped the DSA case and went to his meeting with his mother.

He drove in his rented car for nearly an hour, and then took the right way as his mother had told him to. He drove through a town and then reached the motel called ‘the Sunset’.

He came toward the room 21 and stared at it unsure. His heart was beating very fast, his hands and legs trembled and he felt more nervous than ever in his life. He had waited so long for this moment and now here it was! He knocked at the door. The waiting was like eternity… Then the door opened, and he saw her, her face was enlightened with a wonderful smile, her eyes were wet but were irradiated with joy and love.

He came toward her and wrapped his arms around her and felt her tight embrace in return. He had never felt so happy in his life.

“Mom, Mom it's so… I'm so happy to find you finally!"

“My boy, I've missed you so much! Don't cry Jarod, I'm not going anywhere without you, Never!"

They stayed like that for a long time, enjoying each other hug, then Jarod broke the silent “Mom, I saw Dad 3 months ago."

“You saw him?! How was he?"

“He was all right but he missed you terribly, and there's something else…"

“What about continuing this in the room, my boy."

Jarod loved to hear those two words from her 'my boy’. It was so amazing and real, yet.

“So what is it Jarod?"

“Well, the Centre made some experiments on DNA, specially mine… Mom, they created a clone of me."

That stunned Margareth speechless for a whole minute.

“They WHAT?"

"A clone Mom, Dad and I had made him free from Donoterase an extension facility from the Centre. He's with Dad now. But don't worry they're all right."

“They've played God in all the possible ways. First by controlling your life and your brother's, then they've created a life from you…"

“Mom, for my part, I consider this boy as my brother. He can have a normal life, well as normal as a runaway life is!"

“Yes, you're right darling but you know I need a little time to figure this out."

“I understand."

He was staring at her and was turning shy now.

“What is it Jarod? Tell me darling? What is bothering you?"

“Mom?"

“Yes Jarod."

“What is our family's name?» he whispered softly.

She smiled lovingly at him.

“Your full name is 'Jarod Michael Russell’ darling."

“Jarod Michael Russell…" he repeated, feeling the words on his tongue.

“Yes that's who you're son, who you always have been, even when you didn't know it. You're my boy and I love you with all my heart."

She hugged him and kissed him on the cheek, she heard him whispering in her ear.

“I missed you so much!"

***
The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
11:12 a.m.

Lyle was in his office, still fuming to have missed the mother and sister of the king of Lab-rats. Of course, he had checked his sister’s trail on Jarod. All the things seemed to be in order and legitimate. But something was bothering him and he couldn't put a finger on it.

'The Triumvirate is not going to appreciate that. Emily could have been our new Pretender and such a good bait with her mother to the capture of Jarod. It's obvious that they really need a new pretender: the chase, Jarod's little games on the Centre count and the lost of major clients. Well it drives them to a really expensive bill. Emily was their C plan, and now it seems that they've lost this part too. Did they have another one? Yes they always have some plans but now what?’

He was disturbed in his thinking by a knock at his door.

“What?"

‘God I am sounding like the Ice Queen!’

His secretary came anxiously in his office.

“Excuse me Sir, your father asked me to tell you that he had to leave the Centre."

“Did he say where he went and for how long?"

“He has to leave for Africa Sir but he didn't say for how long."

“Is that all?"

“Yes, Sir."

“Leave."

The secretary closed the door behind him, leaving Lyle alone once again.

'So my father is on his way to Africa, well it seems that some heads are going to roll! But why our father? After all, it's I and Parker who have failed all these years. And besides it's really amazing that my sister is still alive after all her failures! Raines has been re-educated for less than that! Why do they keep her in the chase, why not remove her or just eliminate her?’

His door opened again, but this time it wasn't his secretary, it was Raines and Brigitte.

“You don't know how to knock?"

“Lyle, we need to talk.» Raines wheezed.

“May I ask about what?» said Lyle clearly annoyed by them.

“About the future of the Centre Lyle…" Raines managed to said while coming towards him with his oxygen tank."

“You mean?"

“It seems that the Key of the Centre's future, or in other terms, our futures is your Sister, love!"

“My sister?! Right!" replied Lyle clearly dubious.

“As you already know Lyle, you and your twin sister are children who belong to the red files."

“Yes, in deed."

“You were raised in the Centre to be a Pretender. But the Centre wasn't allowed to raise your sister."

“Why?"

“Your mother and father didn't allow it. In fact they didn't allowed it for the both of you! So the Triumvirate made a deal with your father, we could take you but your sister would never be the subject of a Centre's experiment."

‘I was right, this son of a bitch knew about me from the beginning!’

Lyle put away the thought of his father beaten and bleeding to death, and then focused back on Raines.

“Do you know what kind of gift my sister has?"

“Well there's a big possibility that her gift drives her to become our new pretender…"

“There's something else?"

"I'm not sure for now, we have to make her sit some tests.»
Brigitte, who has stayed in the back of Lyle's office, came near them, she withdrew her lollipop from her mouth and added.

“Well, I'm sorry for my dearest step-daughter, but it's time for the Centre to get back what belongs to it. And as my husband is not here anymore and for a while, I think that the sooner is the better. So, love, what do you think?"

“Very interesting!» He smiled evilly to them “Did the two of you plan something?"

“Of course Lyle, everything. That is if we work together.» he rasped.

“Well, I think that's a deal! Let’ get our business settled…"

***
Motel 'the Sunset’
room 21
At the same moment

“Mom, do you know all about Kyle?"

“Yes I know, Kyle was killed by Lyle who wanted to kill you…"

“Yes, he saved my life with his own. Mom, his last words were for you and Dad. He told me to find you."

“And you have made the wish of your brother comes true."

“Well, it's not really me, without Parker I would not be there with you."

“Yes, I don't understand why she left this soon."

“I think she did that in order to not be in more trouble that she is in the Centre."

“What do you mean?"

“Well you know, for four years she has been hunting me and the Triumvirate wants results… If they think that she's been protecting you and Emily and more, that she has let you free! She will be in a greater mess than what she has ever been through…"

“In fact she risked her life twice for me… Jarod if something happens to her it will be my fault."

“Don't worry Mom, nothing will happen to her. She is too smart to be caught by them."

‘Yeah, but maybe they will not wait to have proofs. They will just take some actions against her failures and this will be because of me.'

“Mom, can you tell me how long Lyle has been after you and Emily?"

“Let me think… hum… I think it began nearly a little more than two months ago, why son?"

“It coincides with the disappearance of the boy."

“It's bad news, isn’t it?"

“I think so."

“What are we going to do now?"

“I have to know in what the Centre is up to lately and of course searching some tails of Emily, Dad and the boy."

“Jarod?"

“Yes, Mom?"

“Why are you and your Dad not together?"

“Well… The Donoterase event was a big mess… Miss Parker was shot. She took the bullet in order to protect her Dad… It was really bad, she was bleeding so much… I couldn't leave her, she needed my help. So I asked Dad to go away with the boy and I stayed there. Then I've been captured by Lyle, Brigitte and Raines."

“You've been back to the Centre! Oh my God… Did they hurt you?"

"It's Ok Mom, Look I'm here in one piece."

He stood up and took his Cell from his jacket.

He put on the speed dial.

“What?!"

“Good morning Miss Parker"

“Hello Jarod"

***
Blue Cove, Delaware
'the French Trip’
11:41 am

“Hello Jarod" Miss Parker replied coolly.
Sydney and Broots turned towards her.

“Miss Parker, are you softening?» asked Jarod.

She could so easily see his smile in those words. With it he could drive her mad at first sight, but God! How handsome he was when he smiled like this.

“What do you mean?» Of course, she knew what he meant. She was stalling, it was not her style but she was quite dumbfound by his call.

‘Why is he calling me, is he stupid? Now that he has found his mother he could leave his runaway life and leave the Centre behind him forever!’

“You let me meet my mother, you let me know who I am… Two things I've always wanted. Why?"

‘That's the 10 000 dollars question!’

She has been asking herself that question since she left the motel this morning. Even though she didn't have a clue or didn't want to see the one that could appear, she always had an ice bitchy replied in reserve.

“Don't flatter yourself Jarod, I didn't do that for you but for me. If I had brought your mother back with me, Lyle would have killed me on the spot! I'm just protecting myself as always, nothing more nothing less. I think you know me better than that, Frankenboy!"

“I do Miss Parker and I'm sure that you could have simply hung up your phone at me yesterday. But you didn't. For this and for saving my sister and my mother, I have to thank you."

“Please, Jarod stop your crap thanking, I'm going to be sick!" She lit a cigarette and took a long drag of it.

“I thought you had stopped this bad habit, it's not good for your ulcer."

“You are worse, Jarod if you've nothing else to say I'm going to hang up.» she snapped.

“You're not going to tell me why you've done this, are you?"

“Why Jarod? You can't find out and that prevents your genius mind from sleeping? Too bad!"

There was a pause, Parker didn't hang up knowing that he had something else to say.

“May I speak with Sydney?"

She looked at the doctor who was grinning at their bickering.

She snorted and gave him her phone.

“Sydney?"

“Yes, Jarod."

“Have you some ideas about what is going on in the Centre?"

“I'm sorry Jarod but I don't have clue. You know as well as me that the Centre doubts about my loyalties."

“Sydney, I think that the three of you really have to watch your back…"

“What do you mean? If it's about Miss Parker's little trip to L.A. you don't have to worry, Broots and I have made all the necessary work to cover it up."

“No, Syd, I think that something important is up there…"

“You’ve got something in mind?"

“Nothing right now. Can you give me Parker again?"

Sydney gave her the phone back.

“What now?!"

“I was just wondering about something."

“Can you be more cryptic Wonder boy" she replied icy as ever.

“Never mind, my mistake!» he replied angrily

He hung up.

“God, I hate when he does that!» she almost screamed. She looked at the two men who were facing her.

“Miss Parker, are you all right?" asked Sydney, he didn't understand why she was so mad after this Jarod's call.

“Sydney explain me something, is he really a moron or what?!"

“Why Miss Parker, because he thanked you?"

She made a face then he asked.

“Or because he called you even though he found his past?"

“I don't understand him Syd…" She sighed and took a drag of her cigarette. Then she asked “What did he tell you?"
“Jarod told me that we all have to be careful. He thinks that the Centre is up to something. But what, only God knows it…"

“God and the Centre, Syd!" snapped Parker.
Broots, who had been silent all the time in order to not be the one who would be yelled at, said “Maybe I could do a little break in the Mainframe…"

“You know what, Broots, I think it's the first sensible thing that I've heard today."

She gulped the last of her Scotch and added “First we eat then we will do that when we are back to the freak show."

***
The Centre,
Blue Cove, Delaware
12:32 am

Lyle was still shocked by what he has just heard from Raines.

He was heading to the meeting point mentioned by his mentor after their little talk about his sister's future.

‘In fact, the Triumvirate sent my father, this bastard, to Africa in order to let my sister in Raines’ hands… And she has not a clue of what is going on. It’s almost too good to be true!’

He stopped in front of the Tower's elevator.

‘Why the Tower? I thought that Raines’ little experiment would be in a sub-level…'

“As punctual as ever, Love!» said Brigitte who came towards him, swaying deliberately too much her hips for him.

“Always for business. So we are going to the Tower, Brigitte?"

“Not really… Just come and watch, I'm sure you will enjoy this.» she grinned.

The door of the elevator opened, Brigitte and Lyle came inside.

The elevator began his ride…

“Wait a minute? We are going down?!» Lyle asked amazed. It just wasn't possible. This elevator was only designed to ride between SL-4 and the Tower.

“Yeah, love. And it's just the beginning."

“To which sub-level are we going?"

“Sub-level 30."

“30?! Oh I see… Since when do you know the existence of this sub-level, LOVE?"

“Well, only for 3 months, since the disappearance of Gemini. Mr Raines has wanted my personal help after this."
The elevator stopped. The door opened to a sub-level, which looked like the sub-level 27. It was white with something like the smell of Hospital in the air. The only difference between SL-27 and SL-30 was the size. SL-30 never seemed to end, it was maybe 3 or 4 times bigger.

“Really impressive!» stated Lyle not really shocked at the Sub-level size but by his not knowing about its existence.

“Isn't it? The quarter of the pretender SIM benefit came in here. Nobody knows about it, except the Triumvirate, Raines and his special team, me and now you."

“How is it possible that my father doesn't know about this place? He's been the Chairman for nearly 30 years.» Lyle asked clearly doubtful.

“Well love, you know that the Triumvirate can be very persuasive even with my husband"

“I don't know how in the Hell they've persuaded him not to look at that!! It's so incredible!"

“But you know how they did that, well maybe more your sister than you."

“What do you mean?"

“Well, the death of the first wife of my husband, in other term your mother, was a kind of warning. The Triumvirate first had thought of re-educating her. But then they thought that she could be an example for everyone and mostly for my husband who seemed really interested in this project even with the opposite order of Mutumbo."

They remained quiet after that. They took the first right and followed a corridor in which there were many Sim-labs and rooms. As always the cameras were watching all their moves.

Lyle broke the silence.

“Tell me Brigitte, are there any other Pretenders here? Or clones?"

“There is some people in here who are pretenders and others who are not."

“Clones?"

“None, it's too expensive love!"

Brigitte turned to the left and left again then she stopped.

“Here we are.» she said cheerfully

“Where are we?"

“Raines’ office. Don't worry, you will get your own tonight."
She knocked and entered immediately with Lyle following her.

“So Raines what are we going to do? You know as well as me that having the Ice-Queen over our control is not like having control over her tech Broots!"

“Lyle, control is something that you can win through many ways but the better and the faster comes from the fear.» he wheezed.

“Parker is afraid of nothing, my father has taken care of this problem since her childhood."

“That's true that Miss Parker is not afraid of what could happen to her."

“So what?"

“She had lost a lot of people in her life, first her mother, then her sister Faith, then her carpenter. That's her fear Lyle, losing someone she cares about deeply."

“My husband is not here. Even though he were here, I would not be sure that it would really upset her, she doesn't trust him anymore.» stated Brigitte.

“Sydney!» exclaimed Lyle with a predatory grin.

“Yeah and like the Tech's daughter, love!» Added Brigitte sharing his smile.

“With them in our hands, she will do whatever we want in order to protect them."

“All right, let the show begin» said Lyle while clasping his hands.

***
Motel 'the Sunset’
room 21
12:32 am

Margareth watched his son pacing the room. If he kept this rhythm, he would soon dig a hole in the carpet.

“Jarod, please Jarod stop that and tell me what is bothering you."

Jarod stopped and faced his mother.

“It's nothing Mom, nothing important…"

“Really? That's why you haven't said anything since your call to Miss Parker. Jarod, you can tell me, you're not on your own anymore, I'm here for you now."

“It's nothing, just like a bad feeling… intuition."

“You think she is in danger?"

Jarod didn't answer, on the contrary he changed the subject
“Mom, why did she let me meet you?"

“I don't know… I can't believe yet that she has done that. Perhaps it was her way to thank you for what you did at Donoterase."

“Maybe… But I think there was something more to it. She gave me my life back. You don't do that to your enemy, do you?"

“Well, the answer appears clearly then Son. She is not your enemy… Jarod, there's more about this woman than you're telling me, isn't it?"

“We were childhood friends.» he answered quickly.
Margareth didn't say anything, she just kept looking at her son. He was worried and angry, and she was sure that it was about this woman. There was something between them. An amazing bond… She kept this thought silence.

‘There will be a better time to discuss about that.’

Jarod broke the silence and instead of pacing the room again, he decided to take a sit on the sofa in the corner of the room.

“Maybe she isn't my enemy anymore… But she is still in this hell hole and she has only a tech and a shrink on her side."
His answer confirmed her previous thought. She was sure that he would go help her in a way or another, so she said the only thing that appeared to be the best for all of them.

“No, she hasn't. She has a pretender and his mother too."

“Mom, I can't let you do that. If something happens to you…"

“Jarod, who said I have to go to the Centre to help?"

Jarod smiled relieved that she didn't intend to go there.

“First, we have to find a new hiding place nearer from Blue Cove and after that we will see. And along the way I'll tell you whatever you want to know about your past and our family."

***
Blue Cove, Delaware
The Centre
the Tech room
12:49 pm

Sydney was unable to concentrate on his work, he looked at Broots briefly but the tech shook his head in a negative manner. The doctor closed his eyes and thought for the hundred times how everything had gotten this wrong.
‘First, Mr Parker has to go to Africa, then Lyle, Raines and the bitchy Brigitte have disappeared. Jarod is right, something is going on…’

Sydney stood up and headed toward the door.

“I'm going back to my office Broots, if there's anything-"
Broots cut him.

“I know Syd, I will call you on your Cell! Just try to relax a little."

“When all of this is over, Broots."

After a few minutes, Sydney changed his mind. He stopped in front of a door and knocked at it, then entered without waiting for an answer.

“Sydney, you've got some news?!» asked Parker while picking up a cigarette.

“Nothing right now but Broots is still working on it."

She lit her cigarette

“So Syd, what do you want?» Parker said with a fake annoyed tone.

“I was wondering if you would agree to have a little talk?"

“A talk about what?"

“About the events in L.A."

“Go on» she said in a neutral tone.

“Lyle was after Jarod's family. And I think that the first priority wasn't about bringing Jarod back to the Centre, according to Lyle."

“Yeah, I agree. Emily was the first priority."

“Yes. It seems that they have somehow given up on Jarod…"

“And search for another pretender… like Emily.» she assessed.

“Yes, I was thinking like this too."

“Do you think that's why my father had to go to Africa? Because of the failure of this project?"

“That's a possibility. Parker, have you been able to localize your twin or Raines?"

“I've been in the control room with Sam, we’ve checked all the sublevels and rooms. There was no sign of them or of the bitchy lollipop's sucker!"

“I think that this kind of coincidence doesn't exist in the Centre, does it?"

Sydney noticed a little tension in Parker, if he could see that, it meant that she was really bothered about something. 'Well the disappearances of her twin and his accomplices are good reasons!'

“Syd, do you have your gun with you?"

“In my office, but why the three of them would be after me?"

“Just in case, Syd! I will be more tranquil if you have your gun with you until we know where they are, and mostly, if Broots has no gun with him!"

“I think you're right, Miss Parker!» said Sydney smiling at her obvious caring.

“What are you smiling at, Syd?" she snapped.

“At nothing, Parker. I'm just happy."

“Three Centre's Ghouls are missing, we don't have a clue of where they are and what they are doing right now. And you're smiling because you're happy?!"

“That's it!"

“You know what Syd, I think I need a drink! And so do you!" she said shaking her head at his silliness. Sydney chuckled at her words.

“Miss Parker! That really kills you to appear like a nice person in front of people, doesn't it?"

“Since when the Ice-Queen appears like a nice person, Syd?"

“Since she understood that she could open up with some people."

“Sydney, if Broots hears that I am a nice person, he's going to have an heart-attack!"

She gave a glass to the doctor

“So, Scotch or Vodka?"

“Well, I think that a little Scotch will be enough at 13:01 pm."

“As you like Syd, but for me I think that Vodka will be necessary. So, we drink to what?"

“What about the end of this hell?"

“Yes, to the end of this hell!"

They drank but were disturbed by the ring of Sydney's phone.

“This is Sydney. Really? Yes, I'm with Miss Parker in her office. We will be there in few minutes, all right? Good.» He hung up.

“Broots has downloaded some of Raines’ new files, and E-mail. He is making a new software to decode them."

“Thanks God, finally some good news!"

She drank in one gulp her Vodka and stood up.

“Come on Syd, it's just Scotch!! Drink it, we don't have all day long!"

To her surprise, the doctor drank it like her and came to her side.

“I'm ready, Parker."

“Ok, but if we have to take the car after this, I'll drive!» she grinned.

Sydney paled but that didn't come from the Scotch.

***
Blue Cove, Delaware
The Centre
13:06 pm

Parker walked out of her office first, Sydney was trying to follow her. He was always amazed at how fast she could walk in those high heels. They took the first corridor on their right, the elevator was straight away. Miss Parker didn't know why, but she had a bad feeling. Her ulcer was aching but she was sure that it didn't come from the alcohol. Instinctively she put her hand on her back and held on her 9mm. Sydney saw this and was fully alarmed when he heard her removed the safety.

The lights of the corridor shut off, only the green emergency ones were working now. Parker could hear many footsteps coming toward them from all directions.

‘Well now we know where those bastards are! Damn, there's not a way to escape them… What do they want??’

“Parker? What shall we do?» whispered Sydney.

“I think that survive will be a good thing!"

“We are trapped, there's no way to escape, there are everywhere on this level."

“The air vent Syd. But it's at the end of the corridor. We don't have another choice. Let's go!"

The cleaner's habit came back to Parker, she was fully focused on the situation.

‘Well, here come the first group, four or five from the left.’

She stopped and pushed the doctor on the wall. The footsteps were coming nearer by each passing second, then the silence engulfed the sub-level.

A gun appeared at the intersection of the corridor, but she didn't shoot, she couldn't make a mistake. As she had thought, he didn't shoot either.

‘Good boy! Now come on, stop hiding yourself behind this wall.’

As if he had heard her, he came clearly in her view, she didn't let him the time to shoot, one shot reverberated in the corridor. The sweeper fell on the floor.

‘Touché! Yeah, but now I haven't the surprise anymore on my side. There's no way that we both reach the air vent alive. But for one it's possible. I don't like this, where are Lyle and Brigitte? … Come on Parker, it's not the first time that someone is after you. I will make it, I have to.’

“Sydney?» she whispered.

“Yes Parker."

“Listen to me, you are going to run straight away to the vent, and not like when you run after Jarod, Syd. You will have to make a real sprint this time, you can handle this?"

“Yeah, I think I can. But you, Miss Parker?!"

“I'm the one with the gun Syd, don't forget this! So at three, you will have to run along the right wall, I will cover you. Just don't stop and don't look behind you, Ok?!"

He looked into her eyes, then nodded. Seeing the resolve in her ice blue eyes he knew he couldn't change her mind. And even if he could have, he knew that she was right at this moment.

“Ok, Parker..."

She made a quick nod and counted:

"One-Two-Three!"

Sydney began his run, he could hear the sweepers coming from the right now but at this speed he would be at the air vent before they could reach the corridors’ intersection.

Three shots unlighted the corridor, he hung his head and tried to increase his speed. He heard five shots coming from behind, Parker was covering him perfectly, he was now just at few feet from the air vent. Another exchange of fire was playing behind him but now he wasn't the target of it anymore. There it was: the air vent. The doctor began to open it but he didn't have enough time to climb in it. The door of the elevator opened, Lyle exited it with Raines at his heels.

“Sydney, you're in hurry to go?!" Lyle said with his favorite evil grin.

He aimed his gun to the head of the doctor.

“Please Sydney, just stay quiet and I promise there will be no blood all-over the wall."

Sydney nodded and came in the elevator between him and Raines.

“Stop the shooting!" screamed Lyle.

Hearing this voice Miss Parker turned toward the end of the corridor.

‘Shit!! Those bastards were in the elevator and I've sent Syd to them, I am really a moron… What shall I do now? And where is the fake blond bitch?’

“Sis, please put your gun on the floor and let's discuss like civilized people.» Lyle asked.

“I thought you knew me better, I never leave my gun!» she shouted back.

“Well, I'm sorry but if you don't leave your pet, Sydney will have a hole between his eyes.» he stated matter of factly.

‘Great, it's just great!! Why didn't I kill those bastards when I was able to do it?!’ She sighed loudly.

“Parker, I give you five seconds."

‘I can't shoot him, at my first move he will shoot Sydney… They have planned all of this! Dammit!’

Parker did the only thing she could at the moment: she let her gun fall on the floor and gave a kick in it.

“Good, now please Sis, come with us."

“Lyle, at least you can explain us what is going on?» she replied coldly.

“I will. Matthew, Willie come to the elevator.» he shouted.
Parker reached the elevator, behind her were the two sweepers Lyle had called.

“Sydney, Miss Parker, thank you for your cooperation. As for now it's time for a little nap for the both of you…" Raines wheezed while taking two needles and a bottle of a blue substance from his pants’ pocket.

“What is it?» asked Sydney while looking at the blue liquid.

“Nothing bad, just something to make you sleep for a little while."

“Do we ever wake up?» asked Parker with an icy glared toward Raines.

“Of course, you do. Maybe with a little head ache. But I as told you earlier, it's nothing bad."

Raines gave them both an injection in their neck, they fell asleep in the two following minutes.

“Willie, Matthew, take them to the Tower elevator. We will join you there in a few minutes.» rasped Raines.

“A perfect plan with perfect result! I hope for Brigitte that it's gone in that way too.» said Lyle clearly satisfied of the operation against his twin.

“Lyle, I think it's time for a little call to your step-mother.» Raines wheezed.

“Yeah, you're right"

Lyle took his Cell, and hit the speed dial. He was greeted by a fake British accent.

“Yes?"

“Brigitte, have you got the girl?"

“Yeah love, she is with me. I'm on my way back to the Centre."

“Wonderful, join us in SL-30."

He hung up, Raines nodded to him. The two headed toward the Tower elevator.




TBC
nelle_aep@hotmail.com