Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I do not own any of these characters. They are owned by MTM and NBC. No infringement intended.


Michelle
by Ulrike Romberg





Sydney entered his apartment and turned on the light. What a day. He was turning into a passive smoker more and more each day he worked together with Miss Parker. And when she was stressed; or fed up with her work; or angry; or just nervous - those were the days she smoked more than one box of cigarettes. A lot more, actually. And she always seemed to be stressed. Parker didn’t really know herself what she was doing; in some way, she did know it was no life that she lead. But there was nothing she could do, at least she saw no alternative.

And Broots? The intelligent computer specialist who was dominated by Miss Parker and didn’t dare to say anything when she was around. Fearing for his life and his daughter’s because of the Center that he couldn’t leave, either. Having less self-esteem than anybody else, or so it seemed.

Sydney sighed and let himself fall on the couch. It was he who had to play the ever-calm, analyzing, composed psychologist who knew perfectly well how his life was structured and what he had to make of it. Sydney let out a bitter laugh. His life? Rather what was left of it. Jarod... The Center had damaged both Jarod’s and his life at one strike. And he, Sydney, had helped them do that.

He had been close to giving up and breaking down so often. But he had to keep going; he had to keep up the masquerade; he had to keep smiling. Who else was there to rely upon for his friends? He knew he often was the force that kept them doing what they had to do; even if they were close to giving up.

The responsibility he carried was almost unbearable. He couldn’t stop. There was no way of resigning before he hadn’t found the truth; before he hadn’t at least paid back a little of what he had done. The persons he had to look after needed him. Though sometimes, he even doubted that.

Sydney took his gaze away from the ceiling and looked at his table. Someone had sent him a package. He hoped it was Jarod. Everytime Jarod sent something it was a clue - to whatever.

Carefully, he unwrapped it. Inside of the package, he found a small disc - one of the hundreds or thousands Jarod had taken with him when escaping from the Center. And there was a note. He read it silently. „Though often we try to free ourselves, we remain captured by memories of the past." Sydney’s psychologist part started -what else?- analyzing the phrase, the more cynical part of him caused his lips to form a smile. How poetical.

After having eaten, he slipped the disc into his computer, awaiting with suspense and nervousness what would show on the screen.

The date was 15th of March, 1973. Sydney sighed loudly and dived into the memory; experiencing again what was shown on the screen. Not seeing it from the camera’s perspective, but from his own.

***

Spring was coming. Gradually, but with a gentle force, it was nearing and causing the winter to back away; more and more each day.
The snow that had still been there yesterday was gone today; the first small flowers were looking out from a half-frozen ground. And today, the first bird was singing sweetly and somehow shyly; as if not believing yet the winter had gone, but telling them spring could not be far away. Soon, others of his kind were to come.

The two walked in the park and looked around them. Michelle breathed the cool air which was still filled with the smell of dawn. „It’s beautiful out here", she said.

Sydney turned to look at her and smiled. „You’ve been here before."

„Yes, but not on a day like this. This", she gestured around, „is a new beginning."

Sydney still gazed at the woman walking next to him. Her long reddish blond hair was not tied together as usual but fell on her shoulders, making her even more beautiful in his eyes. „Michelle..."

She stopped walking and stood where she was, looking at him. The rising sun was shining on her face. „It was a good idea of taking a walk outside here, Syd", she remarked and smiled.

„You know...there’s not only the season’s new beginning", Sydney said and got lost in her brown eyes. He took her hands in his and traced her fingers with his thumb.

She kept smiling at him warmly. „I know."

Sydney leant forwards and touched her lips gently with his own. Then he drew back, as if he wasn’t sure if he was doing the right thing. He was captured again by the depth of her eyes.

Michelle stepped closer and kissed him. This time the kiss was more passionate. He raised his hands and caressed her face, not wanting to let her go. Her hands went up to his back and stroked it gently, while their kiss became deeper.

His lips left hers and kissed her everywhere; on her cheeks, her forehead, her nose.

Michelle drew back and giggled. „So this was planned, um?"

Sydney’s fingers went through her hair. „Well... a little."

She laughed and continued her walk, taking Syd’s arm. „It worked, you know."

Syd shook his head smiling and stopped again, taking her shoulder and turning her around to him. „Je t’aime, Michelle."

Michelle smiled and gave him another quick kiss. „I love you too."

For a while, they stood there like that, holding hands and just looking at each other. Then she turned her gaze away and looked at the building they were next to. „We better get to work now. Guess who’ll strangle us if we don’t."

Syd rolled his eyes. „Don’t remind me of him."

She caressed his cheek. „Well, you’re not alone now."

***

Sydney leant back in his chair and smiled, memories of her flooding into his mind. Back in the times when he’d still had a life, that had been the most wonderful day in it.

***

Several groups of adolescents were heading towards the large college building. With certain amusement, Nick looked at those who were running, being afraid to miss class. Those were the ones who were still really enthusiastic about college. How was that, after 13 years of studying?

„Hey Nick!" He turned around and saw his friend Josephine coming towards him. „Quick, we’re gonna be late."

„Oh come on, who cares?" Jose replied and smiled. „We have a new professor anyway."

„So what?" Nick was pulling Josephine into the direction of the building. „He won’t be delighted either."

„Hey, anything better than old Mr. Fairbanks!" They laughed together, remembering the fat man with the ever-present frown on that face of his that looked like a pig’s.

They’d arrived at the room. „See, we’re not late anyway", Jose teased. Nick shook his head and smiled. They sat down at their table, next to each other, and took out their things. „Wonder what he’s gonna be like", Jose whispered. „Maybe good-looking."

Nick rolled his eyes. „Yeah, and maybe not."

„Good morning!" a man in his mid thirties who was walking into the room called. Some of the class responded; some girls started giggling, and some boys were looking at the new teacher, frowning. Was he gonna take away their babes, man?

„He does look good after all", Jose whispered and stared at the man. Nick shot his friend a quick glance and laughed. „I can’t believe this! Whatever are you behaving like?"

„My name’s Jarod Shiller", the man in front of the class continued, still smiling. „As you probably know, I’m your new English teacher. And I hope we’ll get along quite well."

„I guess we will", Jose said, just loud enough so that Nick could hear her.

Her friend sighed. „You’re so silly."

***
„Mr. Shiller?" Jarod looked up and saw to girls of his English class approach him. Josephine and Sarah, he recalled. „Can I help you?" he asked, smiling. He had just been packing his things to get home. The first day had been quite encouraging. The students were okay; as usual in college, they were eager to learn and in that way, not rude or disrupting the lessons.

„I just wanted to say welcome to our college", Josephine said and smiled at him.

Inwardly, Jarod frowned. On the outside, he smiled back. „Thanks. Is that... a custom here in Albany, the students welcoming the professors?"

„Well...", Josephine began.

„It’s just our last professor didn’t have much... luck with our class", Sarah interjected. „Or rather we weren’t lucky getting him."

„Ah ah", Jarod said. „I’m sure he did his best. You just didn’t get along with him, right?"

„Well, right", Josephine said. „Where do you come from? What country, I mean. Your name reminds me of..."

„Yes, that’s interesting", Jarod teased a little. „What does it remind you of?"

She grimaced. „I forgot. Was it - some poet?"

„A German writer", Jarod helped. „But his name was spelled with c. I’m from the US, as much as you, I guess."

„What a coincidence", Sarah smirked. „Were you interested in literature because of your name?"

Jarod smiled. „No, actually, my name came to me because of the profession."

They both looked at him, stunned; then they broke out laughing. „A good joke", Jose commented. „See you soon!" They left. Jarod looked out of the window as they came out of the building and headed towards their homes. They were happy with their lives, and that made him happy too. It had to be great being normal.

***

The phone rang.

„This is Sydney?"

„Come back to the present again?"

Sydney smiled. „Not quite. I didn’t know they’d recorded that."

„The Center recorded everything", Jarod remarked dryly. „You should know that by now."

„What are you trying to tell me, Jarod?"

„Tell you?" Jarod’s voice turned innocent. „It’s a present."

„You like messing in my affairs, don’t you?"

Jarod laughed. „Don’t you appreciate that?"

„I can’t help to", Sydney replied sarcastically. „Why do you ask anyway?"

„There was a time when you didn’t", Jarod reminded him. „Though I still can’t understand exactly why."

Sydney nodded. He knew what Jarod was talking about.

***

„Sydney, why do I have to do this simulation today?" Jarod looked up to his mentor. „I’m tired."

„Jarod, you can do it. It’s not gonna take long, and you know it." Sydney sat on the table and looked down to Jarod. „You can do what you want afterwards."

Jarod looked up and frowned. „You don’t mean that do you? I can never do what I want."

Sydney sighed. „You know how I mean it."

Jarod let out his breath slowly. „What if I refuse to do it?"

„You can’t", Sydney stated and looked at him sternly. „Jarod, what’s wrong with you today?"

A tall woman of about Sydney’s age emerged from the back of the room. „Sydney, Dr. Raines was telling me to tell you it’s over for today."

Sydney turned around to look at her. „Why’s that?"

She shrugged. „I don’t know. He has his motives. Hello Jarod", she said, smiling at the 14-year-old.

„Hello", Jarod responded, unsure of what Sydney would think of him talking to strangers. He usually kept him from talking to others.

„How are you?" she asked and bent down to him.

Sydney stepped close to her. „Michelle-"

She turned round and looked at him. „Yes, I know." She smiled sadly. „Keep the faith, Jarod", she whispered and left, smiling once more to him and Sydney. Jarod was surprised to see Sydney return that smile. Well, actually it only proved what he’d been suspecting for a couple of days now.

He turned to the elder man and grinned mischievously. „You like her don’t you Sydney?"

Sydney frowned at him. „What do you mean?"

„Well, you know, I was thinking... the two of you..."

„Jarod", Sydney interrupted him with an angry tone in his voice. „I don’t want you to talk about things you don’t understand."

„I do understand them", Jarod said in a low voice. He was hurt by the harsh way in which Sydney had just spoken. „You know I do."

Sydney still frowned and shook his head. „Come along to your room." He went up the stairs. Jarod quietly stood up and followed him.

***

„I’ll have a hamburger for lunch!"

„What? A hamburger? How boring. Didn’t you see those Italian pizzas yesterday? They’re delicious."

„Oh, gimme a break", she called and laughed.

Jarod smiled hearing the voices on the corridor. They were on their way to lunch. He decided to follow them and find out what a hamburger was.

He bought a cheese hamburger at the shop and headed towards a table where he spotted a young man, talking to his friends. „Is there still some space for me?" he asked. The man looked up to him and smiled. „Yes, of course." He made space for Jarod, who sat down beside him. „You must be the new professor."

„Jarod Shiller", Jarod said.

„Shiller?" The man laughed. „That’s funny. I’m Nicholas Stomatis. But my friends just call me Nick."

„Well, I like my students to call me Jarod", the English professor said. „And fortunately, the college’s customs allow that. You’re in my class, aren’t you?"

„Yes", Nick said. „I won’t be there tomorrow because of a meeting with the principal."

„Hey, what did you do, Nick?" Jose asked and laughed. „Sprayed some graffiti?"

Nick cocked an eyebrow at her. „Well, no. I killed Mr. Fairbanks." The whole table laughed. Jarod smiled politely, though not understanding the joke.

Later, he found Nick in the park, studying under some tree. „Can I sit down?"

Nick looked up and smiled. „Sure."

„So - you want to be an English teacher?" Jarod asked.

Nick sighed. „Well, teaching is something I’d like to do", he said. „But when it comes to learning all this stuff..."

Jarod smiled. „You could work at a children’s home, too. If you especially like being around children."

Nick shrugged. „Well, I actually thought about that. But my Mom said... well, that teaching gives you much more than just... taking care, you know. And I think she’s right. At least, it’s what counts for me."

„Are you doing the psychology course?" Jarod asked curiously.

The young man looked up in surprise. „Yeah. How’d you know?"

Jarod shrugged. „Wild guess."

***

„Excuse me, Mr. Shiller?" A black-haired woman stood in the doorway. She was quite short, like her hair was, too. „I’m Angela Korten, the psychology professor", she said smiling, coming up to him.

Jarod shook her outstretched hand. „Nice to meet you. Call me Jarod?"

„Sure. I’m Angela then. Settled in well?"

„Yeah. I like this college very much."

„That’s what many people say", she said and grinned, „before they get to know the darker sides of the students."

Jarod looked at her, confused.

„I was just kidding", she said, smiling. „One rule in here is: Don’t take everything too seriously, especially if it comes from Angela."

„Oh", Jarod said and smiled at her. „I’ll keep that in mind."

„Where are you heading?" she asked, seeing he had been about to leave.

„Oh, I was... on my way home. But I’ve all the time in the world."

She smiled. „Wanna go out for dinner? Don’t worry about my intentions, I just wanna get to know you."

Jarod nodded. „That’d be fine."

„Let’s take my car."

They went into a nice little restaurant that was specialized on French food. „So, how do you like your class?" Angela asked.

„They’re great", Jarod said. „Do you know Nicholas Stomatis?"

She smiled. „Like him too? I think he likes my course a lot. He loves analyzing people, you know."

„Oh, does he?" Jarod said and raised his eyebrows. He wondered where Nick had that from...

„He’s a bright boy", Angela continued, „oh, man of course. After all, he’s already 23." She giggled. „Those kids are so fond of their age."

Jarod smiled. „Do you know his parents?"

Angela frowned. „Jarod, why are you so interested in that guy? Developing some kind of... fondness?"

Jarod cocked an eyebrow at her. „I would never let my work be influenced by subjective liking or not-liking."

„Of course not."

„But to tell you the truth - he aroused my attention."

Angela smiled back. „I know what you mean. Well, his parents...his father died two years ago."

Jarod leant forwards in surprise. „What?"

She shook her head. „Well, he was only 55 or so. But... he had cancer."

„Oh my God", Jarod said, feeling a great sympathy for poor Nick. „How did he handle that?"

„Nick? Oh well, he’s quite strong. We talked about it, and he’s come over it by now. He still misses him though."

Jarod nodded, still frowning. „I can imagine he does."

„As for his mother", Angela said in a lighter tone and smiled. „She’s just wonderful. We’re friends, you know."

Jarod raised his eyebrows. One surprise after another. „You are?"

„Yeah. Her name is Michelle, and she’s so very much... well, lovely, charming etc." Angela smiled. „I really love her."

Jarod nodded. „I’d like to meet her. That is, if it’s not suspicious", he added, seeing Angela’s expression. She laughed. „I don’t think so."

***

Sydney sat in his office, holding the watch in his hands and looking down at it. A single tear fell on it. „Je t’aime, Michelle", he whispered.

It was now one week ago that he had come back from Europe. Without suspecting anything, he had returned into the Center, looking forward to seeing her again, fresh and ready to start with work. But when he had arrived there, she had gone. Michelle was gone.

He had found not a single trace of her anymore. She had disappeared. Nobody in the Center knew where she had gone, or why.

What had he done wrong? They had spent a wonderful year together, enjoying the free time they had, happy to be together, just loving one another. Sydney even remembered the Easter weekend one month ago; they had spent it on his cottage at White Cloud Lake. It had been so wonderful.

Then he looked back - he hadn’t seen anything, not any clue telling him she didn’t love him anymore. She had seemed so happy.

Something must have happened, Sydney thought and jerked upright. What if the Center...? Nonsense. They would tell him. Or would they? Besides, what advantage would they have in removing Michelle? As far as he knew, she hadn’t worked on anything that important, as he hadn’t either.

So it stayed the same. Either way he saw it, it was a fact: Michelle had left him, without saying good-bye, without telling him where she was going, without telling him why.

Another tear fell on the glass of the watch. Once more, he looked at the words carved into it.

Je t’aime. Michelle.

***

The doorbell rang. „Who would that be?" Nick asked his Mom. She shrugged and got up from the dinner table.

„Angela!" she called out, seeing her friend when she openeed the door. „How nice to see you." They hugged, and she let her in, along with the man who stood next to Angela.

„Michelle, this is Jarod. He’s Nick’s new English professor. I told him we’re friends, and he said he’d like to meet you."

Michelle smiled at Jarod. „Mr. Shiller, right? Nice to meet you." They took off their shoes and their coats. Although spring was coming, it came slowly - as it always had.

„Are the two of you hungry?" Michelle asked. „We’re just eating dinner."

„Oh, so we’re disturbing you!" Angela said, embarrassed.

Michelle held up her hands. „Not at all."

„Actually, we just ate dinner", Jarod said.

„So do you want something to drink?" she asked, leading them into the room.

„That’d be fine", Angela replied and smiled. „Nick, you won’t like it, but you’re never safe from your professors."

Nick stood up smiling and shook their hands. „I think I’ll have to live with that", he said, with a wink to Angela.

She patted him on the back and laughed. „I brought along some company to defend myself."

They got seated at the table next to Nick. Jarod watched Michelle disappear into the kitchen. She almost looked like then. Only her hair was short and she had a few lines in her face. But those just made her look more mature and didn’t take away any of her beauty.

Jarod wondered how Sydney felt about her now. Well, there was a way for him to find out, but somehow he respected his former mentor too much to invade his thoughts and feelings. It would have been a violent intrusion.

„Jarod, would you like some red wine?" Michelle’s voice brought him back to the present. He looked up into her smiling face and shook his head. „I’ll take water if you don’t mind." She smiled and went out again, coming back some seconds later with a glass of water.

„Here you go", she said.

„Thank you", Jarod replied and looked into her eyes. A little too long, he realized, when the expression in her brown eyes turned irritated. „Anything wrong Jarod?" she asked him. He shook his head quickly and smiled.

***

Miss Parker stepped into the office, inhaling deeply from her cigarette and blowing the smoke out. „Broots", she snapped, „tell me some good news."

He looked up and grimaced inwardly. This was gonna be a nice conversation again. „I-I’m afraid I can’t Miss Parker", he said apologetically. „No news about Jarod."

„Great!" She put out her cigarette in the ashtray. „Now, where’s Boy Wonder this time?"

She became aware of Sydney, who sat on a chair in the back of the room, deep in thoughts as it seemed. She went over and snapped her fingers in front of his face. „Hey, Dr. Freud! Anything wrong with that psychiatric mind of yours?"

He looked up. She had just dragged him out of another memory. Him and Michelle swimming in the lake. „Everything’s okay Miss Parker", he answered. „I was meditating."

She sneered. „You don’t believe that, do you?"

Sydney remained silent. She shook her head and turned again, storming out of the office.

Broots turned in his chair. „Hey Syd, are you okay?" he asked, his voice sounding concerned. Sydney smiled. „Don’t worry, Broots. I’m fine. I can’t say that of Miss Parker though", he added. Broots nodded. „I never saw her this nervous."

He turned to his computer again, continuing with the search for Jarod, knowing it was almost hopeless until Jarod sent them a clue again. Why didn’t the Center bosses see he was playing with them? They were not aware of what he was able to do.

Sydney let out a small sigh and leant back in his chair.

Jarod had been the one to bring him and Michelle together, two months ago. He had sent Sydney the birth certificate of a boy named Nicholas, who was Michelle’s son.

And Sydney was the father.

He was the father of a 23-year-old boy, and he hadn’t known until two months ago.

Life was weird.

He had gone to Albany then, gone to her house -Jarod had of course found out the address-, and met her again.

It was the first time since almost 24 years that they saw each other. Sydney still couldn’t quite put into words what he had felt when the door opened and Michelle smiled at him.

An older Michelle. A mother. But still beautiful.

The Center had threatened her to kill Sydney if she told her about his son, she explained to him in those five minutes they talked. They’d been afraid Sydney would lose his loyalty and objectivity if he had a family. So she had to go.

She hadn’t left him. The Center had taken her away from him - her and his son. He hated the Center for that.

He hated the Center for many things. For what they had done to Jarod, to Miss Parker and all the other children who had grown up there. But this was the worst thing for him. When he thought about what his life could have been like if not for the Center, a lump formed in his stomach, and tears dwelled up in his eyes.

He was alone. His friends could not comfort him, because they were, too. Everybody was. And this was the Center’s fault.

Sydney would never forgive them for what they had done. Never.

***

„Angela, there’s something you have to explain to me", Nick said. „This adaptive coping strategy..."

Angela laughed. „You don’t wanna start with that now, do you?"

„Well, Mom couldn’t tell me."

Angela turned to the accused in surprise. „Michelle! Out of practise?"

„I’m afraid so", Michelle said and smiled wryly. „It’s been a while since I worked as a clinical psychologist."

„When did you stop?" Jarod asked.

„Oh, that was when Nick came", she answered. „I didn’t have any more time."

„How about that, Nick", Angela suggested. „You and me go out and take a walk, and meanwhile Michelle and Jarod get to know each other."

Michelle smiled and shook her head. „You’re never gonna stop being this direct, are you?"

Angela cocked an eyebrow at her and smiled. Of course she wasn’t.

Nick and her left the two others sitting in the living-room. „So, where do you come from, Jarod?" Michelle asked.

Jarod smiled at her without hiding a kind of strange expression in his eyes. „I’m from Delaware."

She frowned. „That’s a coincidence. I once knew a Jarod from Delaware."

„Oh, did you?"

She looked into his eyes, trying to find out what he was thinking. But after all, she was no empath. „You worked as a professor there, too?"

He nodded. „Kind of."

Their conversation turned into small talk. Jarod still wasn’t quite sure whether he should tell her or not.

***

The door was pushed open. The three persons in the office looked up in irritation and saw two sweepers standing there with their guns aimed at them.

Miss Parker stepped right in front of them and put on a deadly look. „Is there anything wrong, gentlemen?"

„Out of the way", one of them ordered.

„You will tell me nothing", she snapped. „Leave."

The man decided to ignore her and pointed at Sydney. „You will come with us."

„You will not order anything as long as he’s in my team", she made clear.

The man passed her and grabbed Sydney’s collar, forcing him to stand up. „Come."

„Stop this - now", Miss Parker said angrily. The second man suddenly stepped forward and put a gun against her head. „We have our orders", he whispered, quietly and dangerously.

„Parker", Sydney said in a warning voice. „Let me go with them." He threw her a concerned look saying, don’t. She hesitated, but finally backed away and held up her arms, coldly fixing her eyes on the man who had threatened her.

They left with Sydney in their middle; the elder man looked back at his friends once more and disappeared.

„Damn!" Miss Parker shouted and hit the table hard, not caring whether she’d just destroyed Broots’ damned computer. They had no right to take Sydney away!

She felt a lump form in her stomach. What were they going to do with him?

***

Sydney stood at one end of the table with his arms folded, glancing at the people sitting at it who were staring at him coldly.

At the other end, there sat Mr. Parker. Of course it was him. However Sydney saw it, despite his try to see him as the well-meaning patriarch and loving father, eventually Mr. Parker always turned out as the evil guy.

To his left, Raines was sitting with his oxygen bottle and sucking in his breath.

To his right, Brigitte was sucking on her lollipop, as usual. Mr. Parker didn’t seem to have noticed she was actually against him. In fact, she had even once tried to kill him. But who cooperated anyway in the Center, Sydney asked himself. Wasn’t it just saving your own life in the first place? Things like friendship or camaraderie didn’t exist.

This also applied for the sweepers, who were standing one in each corner of the room. Brainless killers.

Sydney didn’t know the other people at the table; he had seen them before, though. All of them loyal subjects under Parker The Mighty.

„Dr. Green." Back in the days, Parker had still used the first name. Now it seemed he was creating a certain distance between them, on purpose or not. „Take a seat, please." The man at the other end pointed at the chair in front of Sydney. He sat down.

Brigitte started talking. „Dr. Green, we are quite uncertain about your motives."

Oh no, not again, Sydney thought and grimaced inwardly. They’d done that earlier, in a tribunal that had queried him, Miss Parker and Broots in order to find out who was helping Jarod from inside the Center. They had kept him for more than six hours back then.

„My motives?" he simply asked.

„Concerning Jarod, and concerning the Center", Mr. Parker stated with a stern look on his face.

Sydney raised his eyebrows, preparing for a long session again. „I already told you everything some months ago."

„Are you sure it hasn’t changed?" Brigitte asked and smiled one of her evil smiles.

„Absolutely sure." Don’t ask me, he thought. He wasn’t so certain about his motives himself. He knew he didn’t want Jarod to get hurt - and that didn’t only include his physical, but also his psychological health. Sydney had said that before. But what he hadn’t told them was: He wasn’t sure -actually, doubted- whether the Center was the right place for Jarod to remain healthy. In either way.

„That’s good", Parker said and leant back in his chair. He even looked kind of relieved. Was that all he needed - an empty assurance- to trust someone? „As much as it hurts to say that-"

Hurts? A bitter laugh echoed in Sydney’s mind, thinking of Catherine.

„I am not sure about my daughter’s loyalty anymore. Not speaking of Mr. Broots. So, you turn out as the only person to be trusted." Mr. Parker smiled a false smile.

Whatever are those guys up to? Sydney asked himself seeing the penetrating stares of Brigitte and Mr. Raines. They certainly didn’t trust him.

„What do you want me to do?" Sydney asked, just because it was the question they expected. The thing he would rather have wanted to do now was get to Miss Parker and Broots and see if they were alright. And get them the hell out of here.

„We located Jarod", Brigitte simply said. Sydney couldn’t keep his eyes from widening. Then he understood. So that’s what it’s about.

„And we want you to get him", Raines said, inhaling loudly. „Can we entrust you with this task?"

Sydney kept two minutes of silence. They couldn’t actually expect he was able to bring Jarod back. They probably planned to send some people after him, and if he didn’t do what they wanted, they would kill him. Probably only needed a reason to officially terminate him?

Raines slid a notebook over the table. „This is where he was located."

Sydney opened the notebook... and stared at the address in complete shock. His heart began beating wildly. What the hell...

„Oh, and Sydney", Brigitte said in a sweet tone. „If some people happen to disturb you in what you’re doing -for example the house’s inhabitants-", her voice became hard as steel. „Don’t hesitate to get rid of them."

Sydney stood up. „Is that all?" He could barely keep his hands from shaking. This had to be unreal.

Parker nodded. „Don’t disappoint us, Sydney", he said before Sydney was led outside and to the elevator.

***

Miss Parker was pacing up and down when Sydney came in. She rushed over to him. „Syd! Are you okay?" She frowned seeing the disturbed expression on his face.

He nodded. „I’m fine - for now."

„What did they do?" Broots asked, standing up and coming closer.

Sydney took a deep breath and let it out again. There are cameras everywhere, Syd. „It was nothing important. I’ll be gone for a few days." He went to the door.

„Syd!" Miss Parker called out, shaking her head in confusion and anger. Sydney knew how she felt. Nobody was saying the truth anymore. „Sorry, Parker", he said and left. He knew they would be stopped by Center personnel if they tried to follow him.

Miss Parker and Broots exchanged a completely confused glance and stared at the door.

***

He was driving in the direction of the airport when his handy rang. „This is Sydney?"

„Where are you going?"

Sydney sighed and shook his head. There were probably bugs in his car, in his jacket, in his handy... „Going for vacations, Jarod." He ended, knowing he’d behaved suspiciously. The hell on it.

In the evening, he arrived in Albany and went to the house he’d visited before. He had had a lot of time on his flight, a lot of time to think... sure, it was clear, the Center was testing him. Now, if he proved wrong, he would be terminated, and if another person who could be dangerous for the Center just because knowing about it would vanish as a kind of side effect, it would be perfect, wouldn’t it? He knew he was endangering them by going there, but it was the only thing he could do. Besides, he was almost sure they’d come here anyway. Sooner or later.

(The Center was behaving very inconspiciously, by the way. He hadn’t seen a single black limousine or sunglass-blacksuit-killer on his way here.)

She opened the door and stared at him. „Sydney!" He stared too, couldn’t help doing so, but forced himself to concentrate on his ‘task’. „Michelle, is Jarod here?"

She frowned. „Jarod? Do you mean...?" Her eyes widened in shock. „So he was the one!"

Sydney just looked at her, questioning. She shook her head. „He left some hours ago. But I could call my friend, she may know..." She looked into his eyes and frowned. „Syd, what’s wrong?"

„Let me in? It’s important." She stepped aside. Sydney came in. She went into the living-room and picked up the phone. „Angela, do you know Jarod’s phone number? ... Oh? Why’s that?... Oh, I see. Okay, bye."

Sydney stepped into the room. Everything looked like her. The furniture, the curtains...

„Syd, Angela told me Jarod has left town."

Sydney turned to her and allowed himself a small smile. „Of course he did."

She shook her head and came closer. „What’s this about?"

„It’s about loyalty", Sydney told her, „and it’s about a relationship. We have to get out of here."

„What do you mean, get out of here? Is the Center involved in this?"

He nodded. „Yes, it is. I-" he stopped, hearing footsteps on the stairs. A young man he’d seen before entered the room. „Mom, can you help me? Oh - hello", Nick said to the stranger who stood in the middle of the living-room with his coat and shoes still on.

„Hello", Sydney replied. Michelle looked uncomfortable. Understandably. „Nick, this is an old friend of mine, Sydney. Sydney, this is my son Nick." They nodded at each other, the younger one uncertain what to think. Nick wanted to remark he had seen the man before, in front of the college. But it seemed unimportant seeing the urgent expression on his face.

„They’ll be after us. After me as well as you", Sydney said. Michelle stared at them. „Where do we fit in? I don’t see where I’d be a danger for them."

„Michelle, everybody who even knows is dangerous for them", Sydney tried to convince her. „Believe me, the two of you are in great danger. Where- is your husband?"

She gave him another uncomfortable look while Nick looked from one to another, obviously a little irritated. „He died two years ago", Michelle said.

„You didn’t tell me", Sydney spoke the obvious thing. She nodded. „I had my reasons."

„Wait a second", Nick intervened. „Who is after us?"

„Some people I used to work for", his mother said. „No time to explain, darling. I think we should better get our things packed now."

„Take only the most important things", Sydney reminded. She nodded and pulled Nick with her. Sydney heard them going upstairs and sat down in an armchair. They still had some time left.

***
Fifteen minutes later they were driving down the Albany highway in Michelle’s car. Sydney had changed his coat, too, and checked all of his clothes. You could never be careful enough.

„Okay, and these - people", Nick shook his head. „Whoever they are. They want to kill my mother just because she worked for them?"

„I’m afraid of that", Sydney said and wished the traffic would go a little faster.

„But that’s crazy! Who would do such a thing? What kind of government secrets were you working on, Mom?"

„It has got nothing to do with the government", she replied. „I told you it’s better-"

„Better for me not to know", he sighed. „Sure, Mom." He shook his head once more but remained silent from then on.

„So, how did you get on?" Michelle asked Sydney.

He shrugged and smiled. „Well, it’s been a kind of... unnerving job in the last few years. You know, I told you Jarod escaped." She nodded. „We were instructed to bring him back", he explained.

„We?" she asked, throwing a nervous glance into the rear view mirror. Seeing about ten cars hurrying them on.

„Mr. Broots, a computer specialist. Me and -", he smiled. „Miss Parker."

She looked at him in surprise. „Catherine’s little daughter?"

Sydney chuckled. „I don’t think she’d like to be called little daughter."

Michelle smiled and remembered the nice and kind of shy girl who had showed up at her working place every now and then. She had also entrusted something to Michelle that only the two of them knew. And a third person, of course, who had been seriously involved in that. A romance between young Miss Parker and a boy who lived near her.

She shook her head and wondered who Miss Parker had grown up to be - her mother or her father. Suddenly she sat upright, thinking of something.

„Sydney, how’s Catherine?" She turned her head to him when he remained silent. „Syd?"

He let out a sigh. „Catherine’s dead."

Her lips parted, but didn’t form a word. She closed her eyes and pressed her lips together. „How?"

He shook his head in resignment. „It happened one year after you’d left. She killed herself-"

„What?!"
„At least that’s what they were telling us."

She still shook her head, not wanting to accept the fact that Catherine was dead. „What do you believe?" she asked quietly.

He took a deep breath. „I believe she was killed." Doesn’t matter if there are bugs anymore, does it. „By the Center heads."

She stared at him. „Sydney, do you realize what you’re saying? Her husband’s one of the heads!"

He nodded. „We’re still not quite certain whether he was involved. But-"

She held up her hand all of a sudden. „Oh, let me guess. Dr. Raines."

Sydney smiled somewhat ironically. „He’s always been the devil in disguise, hasn’t he?"

She rolled her eyes. „Believe me Syd, I never really saw a disguise."

He nodded. „Yeah, I know what you mean."

Nick leant forwards from the back seat. „Where are we going anyway, folks?"

They looked at each other in question. Then Sydney let out a short laugh. „We’ll see where destiny leads us."

***
„Did you notice any black limousine lately?" Sydney asked when he turned into a dark street.

They hadn’t. He stopped after a while and turned off the lights, and they waited for almost half an hour. No car turned into the street or stopped nearby.

The three of them got out and started walking towards a thing that vaguely resembled a barn.

„Nobody home", Sydney reported after having looked through the big windows. The window glass was dirty, and the whole barn looked like it had stood there for a hundred years - and like it would turn to dust in the next moment. „I don’t like this", Nick said, watching Sydney break the lock in two - it looked quite rust-eaten.

They found themselves in a big room with old-smelling straw on the floor and odd tools leaned against the walls.

„I feel at home", Nick remarked and threw his bag into the straw. „How long do you guys plan to stay here?"

Sydney and Michelle exchanged a glance, then looked at Nick and shrugged. „As long as we’re in danger."

Nick laughed. „Great answer."

***

„Okay Jarod - let me get this straight." Jose was walking up and down in her kitchen while her English professor who’d only been that for one day drank some chocolate milk. „Nick’s mother - once had relations to an organisation that pursues you."

Jarod nodded uncomfortably. He hadn’t wanted to tell her this much.

„Why are they pursuing you?" She asked, standing where she was and raising her eyebrows.

Jarod sighed. „You better not know."

The 24-year-old rolled her eyes. „Jarod, we don’t get anywhere like this."

„I don’t plan to get anywhere", he replied, rather mysteriously.

„Oh right", she said with a certain sarcasm in her voice. „Your plan is to stay here and hide from whoever those guys are and, when they’ve stopped looking for you or Nick or his mother-", she paused to take a breath. „You’re gonna go and find Nick and his mother who are hiding from whoever those guys are too."

„Exactly", Jarod said and emptied his glass.

„Jarod, don’t you realize that sounds like Cobra to me?!"

He gazed at her in confusion. „Why does it sound like a snake to you?"

She closed her eyes and sighed. „Never mind. So, can I do anything?"

Jarod sighed. „Josephine, I got you involved already by hiding here and telling you too much. Now-"

„Jarod", she interrupted. „Nick’s my best friend. If there’s anything I can do to help him, please tell me!"

He nodded. „Okay. There actually is something you can do."

***

Miss Parker stepped in front of the class and took off her shades. The words her father had spoken to her some hours ago were still echoing in her mind. „Honey, your former colleague Sydney has proven unloyal towards the Center. There is some task I expect you to perform."

She shivered when she remembered the last sentence. „Remove him and, if you happen to get the chance, catch Jarod."

Miss Parker came back to the present. She hadn’t changed her cold expression once. „Has anybody of you seen Nicholas Stomatis lately? Who knows him as a friend?"

A young woman with thick red curls and tiny glasses -which made her look kind of aristocratic- held up her arm. „Nick’s my best friend", she said. „I saw him yesterday, but he didn’t come to college today."

„Any idea of where he might have gone?" Miss Parker queried.

She shrugged, obviously not impressed by the lady’s appearance. „I went to his house this morning. We’d actually said to go the way together today. But nobody opened, and I saw noone in the house." She frowned. Still seemed to have something to say. „Nick said yesterday that he was planning to go to... wait...", she looked at the ceiling as if searching the name there. „Delaware. Yes, that’s it. He said his mother and him had to go to Delaware for some reason. He made it kind of a secret why."

Miss Parker stared at the girl. „Are you sure it was Delaware?"

The girl nodded and returned her gaze openly. „Yeah. That’s what he said."

She nodded. „Thanks. That was all." She went out of the room and strode down the corridor out of the building. In the helicopter that stood some yards away from the college, she lit a cigarette. „Back to Blue Cove. They are planning something." She didn’t know what it was, but it had something to do with the Center.

Haha, how ironic. Of course it does, there’s no other possiblity. Everything will have to do with the Center sooner or later.

***

Sydney checked his watch and sighed. Ten a.m. It was nine and a half hours ago now that they’d arrived here. He had parked the car close to the barn so that nobody would find it easy to get them.

Nick woke up and rubbed his eyes. Seeing his mother still asleep beside him, he whispered: „So, are we out of danger yet?"

Sydney raised his eyebrows in doubt. „Give me two days. If we’re still alive then, ask again."

Nick stared at him in confusion. „You’re not about to tell me, are you?"

The elder man shrugged. „I’m not sure."

„Well, I think we should", Michelle said and yawned. „I’ve lied to too many children in my life. I don’t want to make the same mistake again, especially concerning my son."

„He’s your son", Sydney said. She looked at him strangely and then nodded. „Nick-", she began, turning to her son.

Sydney laid back. It was gonna be a long story.

***

Jose was standing in a phone booth and talking to her conspirations partner.

„Everything well done?" he asked.

„Well, sure. As you told me. She went out as quickly as she’d come in."

„Good work, partner", Jarod said smiling.

„Jarod? That woman - is she really that cold or does she only pretend?"

„Funny you’re using that word", he replied- „Well, she’s somewhat trying to pretend."

„Do you like her?" Jose teased.
„End of conversation."

She laughed and hung up. Jarod’s life and relations weren’t transparent at all; but certainly very interesting.

***

When Michelle was mentioning the day she’d met Sydney, he had another flashback.

„Dr. Green, I want you to meet someone", Dr. Raines said and blew smoke into Sydney’s face, causing him to cough. „This is Dr. Michelle Loca, your new partner on the Pretender project."

A slender woman stepped into the spare light of the corridor. She looked quite intelligent. Sydney knew his brother would have called her beautiful, too, but he didn’t care for women in that way. Jacob had always smiled at his brother’s behaviour towards women; Sydney saw them as humans and useful colleagues, nothing more.

Sydney’s expression never changed. „Dr. Raines, is this woman supposed to replace my brother?" He saw her frown in his eye’s corner, but kept his gaze fixed on Raines.

The man blew out another mouthful of smoke and put on a kind of sympathetic look. „Sydney, I am sorry about your loss, but nevertheless we have to go on with work. We discussed that earlier." He said the last words with authority in his voice. Do not dare say a word against my orders.

Sydney nodded, but his eyes remained cold. „I believe Dr. Loca and I will get along."

Raines nodded and went away.

„I could show you the facilities now if you like", Sydney offered without any warmth in his voice.

She nodded. „I’d like that." It was difficult for her to keep up with his walk. „Dr. Green, I- know it’s personal, but... would you mind telling me what happened to your brother?"

„And why would you want to hear that?" Sydney asked, his eyes turned away from her.

„Because I’d like to understand your hostility", she simply said. Sydney turned to her and looked into her eyes. After a while he looked away again. „My brother... died two weeks ago in a car accident."

He could hear her gasping. „I- I’m sorry", she finally said. „Will you get along?"

Sydney frowned, somewhat touched by her friendliness and care although she didn’t even know him. Still, he didn’t risk giving up his mask. „Sure."

Later, when they were together, he told her the secret that only he knew - Jacob wasn’t dead, but in a coma. And he suspected the Center to be involved. Which should turn out to be right a few decades later. Jacob had „endangered the Center’s interests" by rebelling against the kidnapping and manipulating of children - so they’d removed him.

***

Michelle stopped talking. „Sydney - how’s Jacob?" She asked in a soft voice.

He smiled wearily. „He died some months ago."

She closed her eyes and stood up, sitting down again between Sydney and her son. „I’m sorry again", she said quietly, taking his hand.

„Only this time it’s real", he said and sighed. Then he smiled. „He would have liked to meet you, I’m sure. I think Jacob always thought I wasn’t able to fall in love with a woman."

She smiled back. „So he was kind of a big brother?"

Sydney laughed. „Well, yes. Four minutes older than me."

Nick cleared his throat. „This conversation is quite interesting", he remarked. „The two of you became a couple?"

Michelle nodded. „Later on. It took Sydney almost one year to realize what a wonderful person I am." They laughed.

„And you worked together on that- pretender project", Nick recalled. „Geniuses with the ability blabla. And Jarod’s one of them?"

Sydney nodded. „He escaped from the Center because he didn’t like being imprisoned. And because he wanted to find out the truth about himself."

„He doesn’t even know his mother, does he?" Nick asked. When the two of them shook their heads, he did so too and sighed. „People - what kind of crazy things were you doing? Didn’t you see it was wrong?"

Sydney raised his eyebrows. „The Center didn’t tell us what the simulations were used for. Besides..." It seemed hard for him to reveal to them his mistakes. „I didn’t really care about the children back then. I was a scientist, nothing more."

Michelle nodded. „For me, it seemed as if the children were leading a happy life. You know, in some way, they had never seen anything else. But you’re completely right. It was wrong."

„Okay", Nick said. „Next question. When and why did you leave the Center?"

Michelle remained silent and threw a glance at Sydney that looked somewhat pleading for help. But he couldn’t help her. „I left the Center in May 1974", she said after a short while. Sydney and her looked at one another and then at Nick, who was frowning at them. „May 1974? That’s less than a year before I was born. Did you - have to leave the Center because you were pregnant?"

Michelle looked at him strangely and then nodded. „Yeah. They thought I wouldn’t be so useful for them anymore."

„Then why didn’t they have you removed?" Nick asked sarcastically. „I thought that’s what they did all the time."

„Not all the time", Sydney said. „They couldn’t behave too conspicious. Sooner or later the police or FBI could have found out something about them."

„Which would have been their end", Michelle added, hoping to get to another subject as quickly as possible.

Nick suddenly held up his hand, causing Michelle’s and Sydney’s adrenaline to rise. „Wait", the young man said, narrowing his eyes and looking at them, while his mind worked. He spoke clearly and slowly; word by word. „When did the two of you break up?"

Sydney and Michelle exchanged another uncomfortable glance. Michelle closed her eyes. „We never - really did", she admitted and looked nervously at her son.

Nick shook his head, forcing himself to remain calm. Surely they would explain to him the circumstances and that he was wrong in his suspicion. „What does that mean, Mom?" he demanded and avoided looking at the man behind her who seemed even more like a stranger to him now.

Michelle took a deep breath, preparing for the most difficult task in her life. „It means that I left Sydney - because the Center forced me to."

Nick gasped and stared at her. „Wait.. come on", he stammered. „Because you ... because you were carrying his baby?" He whispered the last few words.

She nodded slowly.
„Me", Nick added, more to himself than anyone else. „You were carrying me." He closed his eyes and shook his head once more, as if he wanted to shake off his new knowledge.

Michelle sighed and looked at Sydney, who was watching Nick. When the elder man felt her gaze on him, he turned to her and smiled a reassuring smile, taking her hand in his. She smiled back hestitatingly.

Nick, who had stood up and walked through the room suddenly turned round. „Why didn’t you tell me?" His gaze went from her eyes to their hands. Sydney drew back his hand. Michelle’s hand fell into her lap.

She fixed her gaze on the floor. „Look, I - wanted you to be happy. To grow up with a father. You would never have met your real father." She looked up to him, close to tears. „What would you have done in my place?"

Nick looked down to the floor as well and then nodded. „Probably the same thing. Mom... Dad knew, didn’t he?"

Sydney turned his head to the other side and stared out of the window. He felt somehow out of place.

Nick’s mother nodded. „We decided to not tell you. Dad didn’t care if you were his biological son, Nick. He loved you."

Sydney felt a stab in his heart. Well, if the Center hadn’t forced Michelle to go, he would have been the one to love Nick. He would have been Dad. And now...

Nick let out his breath slowly and nodded. Then he kneeled down and hugged his mother. „Sorry, Mom. I didn’t want to trouble you." He threw a quick glance at Sydney but said nothing.

She smiled. „I’m sorry I lied to you." They remained in their embrace while Sydney looked the other way.

***
Nick was outside watching the street -and besides thinking about his life and its sudden turn. His father was sitting in there, and he didn’t even know him. Now, Nick, he asked himself, is it that kind of typical psychological reaction or why don’t you like him?

Michelle stood at one of the big windows and sighed. „I hope he knows what he’s doing", she said, concerned for her son.

Sydney stood up, stepping beside her. „He wants to be alone for a while. You know why. He has to clear his mind."

She turned to him and frowned. „Sydney, are you okay?"

„Sure", he said without flinching.

Not quite convinced, she walked up and down. „This situation is so weird."

He nodded. „It shouldn’t have come this way."

She looked at him again, trying to see through his mask. „How would you have wanted it?"

He smiled. „He loved his Dad, didn’t he? He should never have found out."

Michelle shook her head and stepped closer to him, her crossed arms almost touching his body. „Why are you lying to me?"

Because I want to make it easier for you, why don’t you see? his mind cried out sadly. „I’m not lying, Michelle. You know I want the best for Nicholas."

„And what about you?"

„Nothing. This is not about me."

„Oh yes, it is", she said, taking his arm. „Sydney, you are hiding from me. Why? Are we estranged from each other to the point that you can’t tell me the truth?"

He shook his head, smiling wearily. „Don’t be concerned about me. I’ll be okay."

„But I am concerned about you, damn it!" she cried out. Turning her head, she suddenly became aware of Nick, who stood at the door. She shook her head, fighting back the tears and turning to Sydney again. „You know I am", she whispered and let go of his arm. He turned round and went out of the barn.

Nick watched him as he closed the door behind him and went to his mother who was turning her back on him, sobbing quietly. He turned her around and put his arms around her. „Hey, Mom. It’s gonna be okay, don’t cry", he said, somewhat uncertain how to handle the situation. Why did Sydney hurt her, didn’t he see she was suffering?

The elder man was walking towards the car that stood some hundred meters away from the barn. It was noon, and he was getting hungry. They had brought along something to eat from Michelle’s house.

He didn’t know exactly why he had run away from the situation. Probably because he didn’t want Nicholas to see them together; but was it to not hurt the young man’s feelings or did he not want to share his feelings with anyone but Michelle?

Really, Syd, have you come to the point of analyzing yourself? You must be really confused about it. He didn’t want Michelle to get hurt, he didn’t want Nicholas to get hurt - just because that would hurt Michelle? Why am I suspecting myself of unconscious feelings and motivations that I’ve not yet discovered?

What a weird situation.

He had reached the car and heard a phone ring from inside. His cell phone. Who could that be? Would they be able to track him down if he answered? Well, not if he kept up a connection for only five seconds. „Who is it?"
„It’s me, Sydney. Are you okay?" Jarod.

„Well yes, I think so", Sydney answered.

„Physically", Jarod added. Sydney smiled. „Hey, who’s the psychiatrist here?"

Jarod laughed and grew serious. „Are you okay emotionally too, Syd?"

„I guess so", he said. Jarod remained silent. „Well, not really", Sydney added smiling. „You got me."

„Nick knows, doesn’t he?"

Sydney nodded. „How did you know?"

„Well, he’s very intelligent. He would have found out sooner or later."

„Because sooner or later, I would have come visit them - involuntarily not being able to keep up the lie?"

„You want me to analyze that?"

„Not really."

„Well, maybe it helps if I say Nick would have found out anyway. Maybe a little later, but still."

„Well, if you say so...", Sydney put some food into a bag and sat in the car. „How are you, by the way?"

„Oh, I’m fine. You may know I left town."

„The wisest thing you could do", Sydney replied. He wasn’t really sure if Jarod had left the town. Probably he was hiding in a house - but maybe... „Jarod, are you following me?"

Jarod smiled audibly. „Where are you?"

Sydney frowned. You know I can’t tell you - they might listen to this conversation...Oh, I get it. „Okay, so - take care, will you?"

„Sure. If you promise to as well. You’ll be having your reasons."

Sydney froze. He was being pursued. „Okay, I promise. Can I have lunch first?"

„Oh, you may enjoy dinner, too. But I’m afraid you’re gonna have a sleepless night."

„We’ll see about that. Thanks for calling, Jarod."

„No problem. Oh, by the way: Tell your son his friend’s thinking of him." Jarod ended the call. Sydney put his cell phone into the car again and slowly went back into the direction of the barn. Jarod said there was enough time for them to escape. The question was: Who was following them? Probably not Parker. Raines was clever enough to not trust her. So - what about Willie and his companions...? Sydney felt a shiver go down his spine. This was a life-and-death-game.

***

„Those guys really give me the creeps", Josephine said, watching the black-dressed sweepers. „They look like they’d kill without hesitating."

Jarod gave her his binoculars. „Believe me, this time the outlooks match the motivations." They sat in his car which stood at a street corner; watching the three men who were eating lunch at a gas station.

Jose made a sound of surprise when she saw every one of them had at least one gun. „Oh man. I feel like in X Files."

Jarod shook his head and frowned at her. „Is that a TV show?"

She looked at him and grinned. „Yeah. Like Cobra."

„Oh."

Jose shook her head. „Jarod, I don’t know where you come from, but to me it sounds like..."

„Mars?" he suggested. She nodded, still grinning. „Okay. What’s next?" She pointed into the direction of the men, who were climbing into their car again.

„On it goes", Jarod commented and started the car, following them in a ‘safe’ distance (if there was something like that).

„Jarod?" Jose asked leaning back in the seat.

„Hmhm?"

„That Sydney you called is Nick’s father?"

He turned to her. „You listened to my phone conversation?!"

She grew smaller. „Sorry."

Jarod sighed and fixed his eyes on the road again. „Well, what does it matter anyway."

„Who is Sydney?"

„He works for those people to", Jarod said with a nod to the car they were following.

She sat bolt upright. „Does that mean he’s dangerous?!"

Now it was Jarod’s turn to grin. „Don’t worry, Nick’s gonna be okay."

„Jarod!"

„Sorry. Sydney’s not really on those people’s side. He’s with Nick and his mother to protect them." Jarod smiled. „He still loves her I guess."

***

„We’ll have to drive on in an hour", Sydney said and put the last piece of bread into his mouth. Michelle nodded and remained silent. Nick looked up. „Where are we going this time?"

Sydney shrugged. „Let’s see. Maybe to France - it’s only about one hundred kilometers away."

Nick frowned and shook his head. „Are you crazy?"

Michelle instead smiled and took Nick’s hand. „Calm down, darling. Some people just have a weird humor."

„How funny", Nick remarked and then shook his head at himself. „Sorry, I’m getting unsociable. It’s too much for two days, and I’m just 23 years old, you know." Again that sarcastic tone. But this time he had said it in a friendlier way.

Sydney and Michelle nodded - after all, they were psychologists.

One hour later, they started, again driving into the opposite direction of Albany. Sydney didn’t know why exactly he was running away with Michelle and Nick; there was a possibility that the Center only wanted him - if so, he was endangering them. How could he be sure what to do?

The cell phone spoke. „This is Sydney?" Syd answered.

„Don’t go to Canada", Jarod warned.

„Why not?" Sydney asked, reading a sign which said ‘Quebec - 440 miles’.

„Syd, don’t play the dummie", Jarod said impatiently. „Simulation 436." End of call. Great. Sydney loved Jarod’s hidden, mysterious clues - he’d probably run into the trap before he’d figured out what Jarod meant.

Well, first thing to do was to turn the car and go into the opposite direction. Nick and Michelle looked at him. „What’s wrong?"

Sydney shrugged. „Don’t know. Jarod showed how wise he is again."

Michelle shook her head. „So the Center’d be waiting in Canada?"

„Probably. But what’s meant by ‘simulation 436’?"

She frowned. „436! That was my first one."

„So it’s not about Jarod?" Sydney asked, astonished.

„No. You know I had Rebecca, right?" Syd nodded. „Well, Jacob had already done 435 simulations with her before I came", Michelle explained. „The first one I led was number 436."

„What was it about?" Sydney and Nick asked in unison.

„Let’s see... Rebecca was pretending to be a serial killer who was roaming around-"

„Stop!" Sydney called out. „Don’t say it. Is it a state?"

Michelle shook her head in confusion. „Do you think they’re listening to our conversation?"

Sydney shrugged. „I have no idea. But it’s possible."

Nick suddenly laughed. „That’s crazy! They could find out anyway where we’re going, and didn’t they record all the simulations?"

„Well, as I know Jarod, simulation 436 will be mysteriously lost if they look for it in the computers", Sydney said. „And there are 51 states."

Nick rolled his eyes. „Yeah, and only about five around New York."

„Sshh, you’re revealing too much", Michelle said with a wink. „Who tells you we’re not going to California?"

Nick shook his head and patted on her shoulder. „Mom, I think making jokes in a situation like this shows a deep trauma. Maybe schizophrenia."

„Oh, shut up", she laughed and put her hand on his.

Sydney gazed at the two of them and smiled. „You’re a strange couple, you know that?"

„Well, of course!"

„So, if you could write it down", Sydney said, „and I hope there aren’t any cameras in here..."

„No problem", she interrupted. „See that sign over there? The last word - I think that’s where we should go."

Nick read the city’s name. „Oh, you mean---"

„Ssshhh!!" Sydney and Michelle ordered. Nick fell on the back seat, laughing loudly.

Sydney looked at him and then at Michelle. „Is he always like that?"

She shrugged. „Only if he’s hysterical. Or maybe he’s getting schizophrenic."

„Mom!"

Michelle leant against her seat, laughing.

***

Miss Parker shook her head in bemusement. „Well, she’s right. All of them are hysterical."

Her father shut off the small cassette recorder in his hand. „How intelligent of Sydney to remember the bugs", he remarked. Miss Parker was taken aback by the coldness in his voice but showed no emotion. „What do you want to do about them?"

He smiled. „Well, Princess, that’s where you enter the scene. Fortunately, a contact person who works at a gas station in Utica, New York called us. He saw a certain man who drove by shortly after Willie and his men had gone away."

I don’t want to know what made him call, she thought. „And who would that certain man be?"

He looked at her confidently. „Jarod."

She stared. „Jarod?"

Mr. Parker nodded. „He seems to be following Raines’ men."

She held up her hand. „Wait a second - does Raines know?"

He shook his head. „Make a guess why I wanted to talk to you here." He made a gesture around the park.

„Okay, do you have Willie’s route?" she asked, quickly walking towards the Center.

He put a scrap of paper in her hand. „Go alone."

„Of course I will." She headed towards her car. „And Princess", he called after her. She turned. He winked at her. „Be careful."

„I will." She smiled a false smile and stepped into the car.

***

„Jarod!" Jose called out suddenly, turning her head. „That was her!"

„Who?" He concentrated on driving -it was midnight and very dark outside.

„That woman who visited the college! She stood there in a sideway, and now she’s following us." Jose forced herself to remain calm. „Jarod, she’s not like them, is she?"

„I’m afraid she is", Jarod said and turned to the left at a crossroads, putting up speed.

„She’s still behind us", Jose said nervously, watching the distance between the two cars get smaller and then bigger when Jarod got faster. He turned at every street now, trying to shake her off. But she kept following them - also when Jarod suddenly turned into a dead end that hadn’t been announced.

„Oh damn!" He shouted, hitting the wheel hard and stepping on the brake.

Her car came to a halt behind them. She stepped out with her gun raised. „Okay Jarod - get out of there with your hands behind your head", she shouted. „One false move and I’ll shoot you."

„Oh, she’s amiable", Jose remarked and got out as well. The stood next to each other with their hands raised and looked at Miss Parker. She grinned evilly. „What a pleasure to see you, Jarod. And you-", she looked at Jose, „what did he pay you?"

„Nothing", Jose said, almost copying Miss Parker’s tone. „I just love wild pursuits."

„What a pity for you", Parker remarked and stepped closer to Jarod, searching for her handcuffs in her jacket.

„Miss Parker", Jarod said in an urgent voice. „If you arrest me now, the Center will get Sydney sooner or later."

„Oh, don’t you think your Dad can pay attention to himself?" she mockered, putting his hands behind his back.

„They’ll kill him!" Jarod called. „Don’t you feel anything about that?"

„As you know, I feel nothing about anything", she said coldly. „Don’t try moving."

He shook his head desperately. Then suddenly, he turned to the side so that she, holding his hands behind his back, was swayed around until her back was turned on Josephine. The young woman didn’t hesitate.

Miss Parker fell on the floor, unconscious. Jarod turned to her and then looked at Jose in surprise. „Judo?" he asked.

She grinned. „Not bad, huh?"

He smiled. „Help me get her in there." They lifted Miss Parker and lay her on the back seat, putting her own handcuffs on her hands.

Jose shook her head. „Hey, why didn’t she shoot you when you made that move? She is one of the good guys, I’m telling you."

Jarod shook his head in doubt.

Jose sighed. „Or maybe she’d turn reasonable if we talk to her about this?" With a wink, she added: „Or if you do."

Jarod threw her a deadly look and then smiled. „I think she’ll just go on being the evil guy. Although she may be convinced by other things."

„But that’s not romantic!" Jose protested.

Jarod smiled at her. „Nothing’s romantic when it comes to Miss Parker."

She smiled and looked down at Miss Parker. Then she got into the car again. „She looks so peaceful when she’s sleeping", she said. „It’s a pity, the two of you would look so sweet together." With a curious look at her partner, she added: „What do you feel for her, Jarod?"

„Could you just stop that?" he demanded, giving her the proof she’d wanted.

„Okay."

Jarod’s mouth formed a small smile. „Oh well... let’s make a deal."

She frowned. „What kind of deal?"

„You tell me about your inner feelings and I tell you about mine."

She shook her head and looked out of the window, while her expression remained ‘objective’. „I don’t know what inner feelings I would have to hide from you."

He raised his eyebrows. „Well, I do..."

Jose grinned. „Where are we going right now?"

„Destination Ohio", Jarod said and drove onto the road.

***

Eight a.m. Michelle was sitting in the car and watching „her two men" standing in front of the shop.

Nick looked around nervously, waiting impatiently for Sydney to pay the bill at the gas station. Somehow, he still didn’t feel good about this. The two of them -oh, his parents- had described the Center as a kind of thing that was just everywhere. Now, why were they still free?

He turned around in time to see a car approaching theirs. Three shades occupied it.

His stomach lurched. This was no good. „Mom!" he shouted, running towards the car. The men stepped out of the black car and reached into their pockets.

Nick heard Sydney shouting his name. He froze when seeing the men’s guns.

They motioned for Michelle to get out and grabbed her arm violently, pushing her into the direction of Nick and Sydney. She was caught by her son before she fell.

Nick looked up and saw Sydney was standing in the fire line - looking as if he was able to read their thoughts and knew everything anyway.

„Guns at a gas station?" Sydney asked, watching Willie and his men out of narrowed eyes.

Willie smiled humorlessly. „I have no problem with going up in flames if you join me." Brainless idiot. „But if you behave reasonably, we will have no reason to think about that, will we?"

„And you’ll shoot me somewhere else, right?"

Again that smile. „I see you’ve realized the Center’s capabilities."

Sydney frowned and threw a glance at the two persons next to himself. „You want me. Let them go."

Willie shook his head. „Oh come on, Sydney. You knew what risk you were putting them at. And now you want to retreat?" He glanced at Michelle. „You broke your promise, Dr. Loca."

She gasped and stared at him, suddenly realizing something. „You’ve changed since that night."
He nodded smiling. „One has to stay undercover, isn’t it so?"

Michelle looked at him in despair. „Let my son go, please! He doesn’t know anything about this."

The man next to Willie let out a short laugh. „You expected us to put bugs in there, didn’t you? Well, we on our part didn’t disappoint you."

She closed her eyes and sighed.

Sydney noticed the people around him were leaving the gas station, also the shop keeper. Well, at least I can pretend to care about others as much as Jarod does.

Suddenly he heard a car come to a stop with screeching tires. He didn’t look into the direction though, keeping his eyes fixed on Willie. He saw an irritated glow in the sweeper’s eye, but neither of them turned round.

„Sydney!" he heard Jarod’s voice. The other two sweepers turned to where the voice came from, seeing two persons approach them. „Sir, they’re having guns!" One of them called out to Willie.

„Fire, you idiot!" Willie called, turning around for a second.

Sydney’s eyes widened. „Run!" He shouted, grabbing both Michelle’s and Nick’s arms and dragging them away. „Freeze!" he heard somebody scream. „Freeze or I’ll shoot you!"

He knew his only advantage was the gas station. Nobody was suicidal to that point. He kept running, seeing the other two beside him. They ran out of the gas station, Willie following them and closing up.

Suddenly Sydney heard Nick scream, a sound so terrifying that it went through his whole body. „Nick!" Michelle cried out and stopped, falling down to the body that lay slacked together on the asphalt.

The gas station exploded. Sydney saw Willie get shot into the air and fall down some meters away from them, blood running from his body. The other sweepers were not to be seen.

Disgusted, Sydney looked away and went to Nick and Michelle.

Jarod and a young red-haired woman were running towards them. She stared at Nick and shock and knelt down beside him. „Nick! Are you okay?"

Jarod knelt down too and felt Nick’s pulse. Still there. He looked where the bullet had hit him. Not pleasant, but it was not impossible to heal. „Quick, let’s get out of here", he told the others, motioning into the direction of a police or fire department car howling loudly.

Sydney and Jarod carried Nick to the car that was still intact. „What about him?" Michelle asked, pointing at Willie. Sydney shook his head.

***

The three occupants of the waiting room jumped from their seats when the doctor came in.

„How is he?" Michelle asked.

„Is he gonna be okay?" Josephine questioned.

Jarod smiled. „We removed the bullet. It hit the milt, but with a few months of rehabilitation, he should be okay."

„Oh thank you!" Michelle hugged him impulsively.

Sydney smiled at her motherly love and went up to Jarod, too. „Can we see him?"

Jarod held up his hand. „Only one person a time. Let’s stay careful."

Sydney and Josephine nodded. „Go Michelle." The mother hugged them as well, too happy to think about embarrassment or society restrictions.

Nick smiled a little weakly when she came in. „Mom." His voice was barely above a whisper.

„Oh sweetheart", she took his hand. „You must be exhausted."

„Yeah, from lying down here all the time", he joked. „What happened? How are the others?"

„They’re fine. Jarod shot at a gas tank and the station blew up. The sweepers were killed."

Nick shook his head. „Such nice guys."

Michelle still squeezed his hand tightly. „I was so worried about you."

He smiled. „Jarod said I’m gonna recover. He’s a nice guy, isn’t he?"

She nodded.

Nick laughed and regretted it. „You know, he didn’t only talk about my health. Also made a speech about love and how important that is. Mom, say, is that guy in love with anybody or did he just have a traumatic childhood?"

Michelle laughed. „I think it’s both."

Nick sighed. „Listen - and this is not majorly influenced by Jarod, although I must say he’s very convincing..."

„Get to the point", she laughed.

Nick took her other hand in his and studied it intensively. „I don’t want you to think I’d put myself between you and Sydney. All I want is you to be happy, and you mustn’t, I repeat, mustn’t-" He smiled. „...think you’d hurt my feelings by freeing an old love."

„And doesn’t that sound romantic", she remarked. He looked at her with a forgiving smile. „Someday you’re gonna need these words."

Michelle laughed. „Oh, you won’t believe it, but I already do."

„Good."

Outside, Jarod was talking to Josephine, with Sydney sitting nearby and listening.

„Was that a pursuit to your taste?" Jarod teased.

„Oh, yes!" she called out enthusiastically. „How did you handle the Parker situation by the way?"

„Oh, I didn’t have time yet to bring her back", Jarod said innocently. „Guess she’s fighting to get free right now in my apartment."

„In your apartment? Jarod! What are you gonna do with her when you come back?" Jose asked with a broad grin.

Jarod raised his eyebrows at her. „Believe me, I’ll think of something."

She nodded. „Good luck."

„Thanks. What about you? What are you gonna do if he gets out?"

„Who?" she asked, looking at him blankly. Probably on purpose.

Jarod smiled, didn’t give up. „Jose, you know who I mean."

She shrugged. „I don’t know what I’ll do. Go on like before?"

„Oh come on", he said. „That’s not romantic."

She laughed out loud, punching him in the side. Michelle was entering the waiting room. „Next please." Jose threw a questioning glance at Sydney, but he just smiled. „You seem to have to discuss something. Go on."

Josephine smiled and stood up. Almost out of the waiting room, she heard Jarod say: „Good luck."

***

Sydney entered his new apartment and turned on the light.

Michelle sat in a chair, smiling at him. „Hello Sydney."

__________________________________________________________________________________
the end... or is it?


Please leave a feedback at: tpren@gmx.de