Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

DISCLAIMER:- Oh, and for the people who were really upset (you know who you were!) -I could say sorry but you'd probably die of shock!
KB





DELUSIONS
PART 16
by Krystal McDermott




>KB's POVKrystal's POV<

They're back! They're back! My God, I never thought I would be so relieved to see any one group of people so much in my entire life! For the past twenty four hours it's just been Broots and I. One can only listen to tales about the trials and tribulations of the computer club and chess club for a short while before being driven to homicide. Quite frankly I'm beginning to doubt whether it truly is chasing Jarod that's giving Miss P so much trouble with her ulcer. After everything that's happened while Jarod and KB have been away, I'm surprised I don't have an ulcer myself. Okay, perhaps that is just a bit of an exaggeration, but I'm the first one to admit, it doesn't take a great deal for me to become paranoid. I'm sure KB will agree with me on that one. It was bad enough when Miss Parker woke up and I only had Sydney and Broots here to help me out. Then Sydney had to go all scientific on me and become curious as to what on earth KB wanted us to give Miss Parker. One whiff and he dropped straight to the floor, leaving Broots to carry him, well rather drag him over to the lounge and I to place the oil burner and whatever that stuff was in Miss P.

"Michael, Andrea, Jon, Patrick, Debbie. This is Krystal and Broots. Sydney and Miss Parker are - resting." KB introduces everyone, wearing a broad grin, although the intros hardly necessary. Debbie immediately rushes over to her father (I think she's about as overwhelmed as I am and the look on Broots' face is priceless), while Katherine leads us all into the kitchen. Everybody is talking excitedly as KB and I prepare drinks. Plenty of coffee is going to be needed tonight, that's for sure.

I sit in silence as Broots (at least I think it's Broots because Debbie is sitting beside him) and I are filled in on all the details of what happened over in the United States. It takes me a while to figure out which one is Michael and which one is Jarod. It's not until Jarod comes behind KB and wraps his arms around her waist that I'm finally clear on who's who. Thank God Sydney and Miss Parker are still asleep or this could be a really long night.

"Krystal...?" Jarod calls from across the table. Suddenly all eyes turn to me. I knew I should have been paying attention to the conversation - now I'm completely lost.

"Huh?"

"I said I heard things weren't exactly uneventful while we were gone." I almost choke. Did he just say 'not exactly uneventful'? I'm sorry, I may not be Mr Super hero Jarod, who saves the day with a genius plan and the blink of an eyelid, and who risks his life day after day, and has had more brushes with death than I can count on my fingers and toes, but I'd call being held at gun point by one ticked-off Miss Parker, with only Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum to protect me, more than an event. I begin to tell them all about my brush with death.

"And then she aimed her gun at me and threatened me," I finish, totally out of breath. Might have helped if I'd inhaled at some point while I spoke. To my utter astonishment, KB and Jarod (I think it's Jarod. They both moved while I was talking and I'm lost again) break into hysterical laughter. In fact, KB ends up with her head resting on Jarod's shoulder and tears pouring down her cheeks. (At least now I know it's Jarod.)

"What's so funny?" So I'm miffed. So sue me. She could have killed me, her own niece, and they're laughing?! That's more than slightly rude.

"Oh, Krystal!" KB gasps and almost cracks up again. "She couldn't have shot you."

"I'm telling you," I'm getting upset now and *I* think it's justified.

No, I know it's justified.

"She would have. She even threatened me." I can here my voice changing into the 'I'm two years old and I know every thing and I'm always right' tone. It tends to develop when I get frustrated. It's childish, I know, but I can't help it.

"I never said she wouldn't." KB's regaining her control now. "But she couldn't have. She might have found her gun but I removed the firing pin before we left and took it with me."

"And even if she got another one," Jarod continues, wiping his eyes, "I replaced her ammunition with blanks. You don't really think," he gets serious, "that we would have left you in that much danger, do you? Give us a little credit."

I eye them critically, thinking over everything they just said. "I suppose not," I eventually state, trying to place as much doubt and suspicion in my voice as possible, but even I can hear the amusement creeping in. It had occurred to me that the gun was probably harmless. I even looked it over when I found it still lying discarded on the floor but I know absolutely nothing about guns. That was the first one I'd ever seen, let alone had pointed at me, so I had no way of knowing for certain whether it was dangerous or not. The full force of what they had just said hit me and I burst out laughing myself, along with Jarod, KB and Broots. Everyone else in the room just stares at each other, wondering what on earth they got themselves into.

"What's all the commotion about?"

"Sydney. Glad to see you back with the land of the living." I announce and everybody else in the room cracks up. Sydney blushes slightly and then KB does her introductory thing again and then the room is abuzz with people talking. Of course, once again I've lost track of Jarod and Michael, one of them is now talking to Andrea and Debbie, who has moved away from Broots, so now I can't figure out who Jon is, and of course Patrick and Sydney have to be standing beside each other talking to Jarod or Michael. KB and I just share a knowing glance. This is definitely going to be a long night.

At the first opportunity, I grab KB and pull her out of the room and into the hall. I see either Michael or Jarod about to come out with us but KB shakes her head.

"Later, Jarod. We'll talk later."

I look at her and my expression is obviously more confused than I thought because she cracks up again and pulls me into my bedroom. I decide to diplomatically ignore her laughter. Adult of me, huh? I do have some level of maturity, no matter how small. "How do you do that?"

"What?"

"Tell the difference. I mean, they look the same - they are the same, for crying out loud. How do you know it's not Michael who's coming up and slipping his arms around your waist and...?"

"Okay, enough! I don't know how I know - I just do. It's probably something to do with the expression in their eyes or something. I don't really know."

"We are going to have hell for the next few days."

"Not at all." KB sits, cross-legged, on the bed and smirks at me.

"Well, all right. You were travelling with the genius and it obviously rubbed off. How are we going to tell them apart?"

"Until we get to Sydney - the place, I mean, not the person and that's going to be the really complicated bit, by the way - we get them to dress differently." You can tell she's quite proud of herself for that one. Darn it, I can see why. It's not such a bad idea. Why they couldn't have all thought of that before arriving here I don't know.

"Okay, Miss Genius, how are we going to deal with Miss Parker?"

"That's my responsibility, not yours. Don't worry about it."

"Okay, then. Suits me fine. Just keep her away from me. And what..."

"...was the stuff you gave her?" I look around and see them in the doorway. Two men - either Michael or Jarod and either Sydney or Patrick.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - this is going to be a long night.

"First of all, Sydney," How in heck did she know that? "how are you?"

"Fine. At least, I will be when the headache wears off."

"Good." KB smiles. Considering she just knocked him out for a day, you'd think he'd be a little more upset with her, although it was his bright idea to smell - whatever it was, after she'd specifically told him not too. Scientists, huh!

"Broots is over the moon." Sydney smiles. Obviously got a soft spot for ol' Brootsie there.

"I thought he would be."

"I suppose that was your idea, KB?"

She glances at Jarod. At least, I think it's Jarod. "Well, not only mine. But mostly."

"And how long is Miss Parker going to be out for?"

KB grins. "As long as we want. But I figure we should probably get this plan into effect soon, the day after tomorrow if possible. So I guess we can wake her up tomorrow." The grin fades a bit and, if I hadn't thought it possible, I'd believe that KB was actually worried. God knows what about. I mean, I was the one that she had the gun aimed at and - okay, I've said that already. Yes, yes, I hear you, move on, get over it.... and great now I'm talking to imaginary people.

KB gets up off the bed and walks to the door. Jarod (I presume) slips an arm around her shoulders and they lead the way into the kitchen. Well I hope that's Jarod or the real Jarod might have a thing or two to say about that. As we enter, everyone else goes quiet.

"We've got a busy few days coming up, so I'd suggest we all get some shut-eye." I glance at the clock - how did it get to midnight already?

"Where?"

Reasonable enough comment.

"We-ell, what say Debbie sleeps with Krystal, Jon and Patrick join the rest of the men's room and Andrea can share my room?"

There's a chorus of agreement before we all split up. At least she didn't suggest that Andrea sleep with me - I would have had nightmares all night! Andrea is not Miss Parker, Andrea is not Miss Parker, yes I'll just keep telling myself that. Although I still maintain that Miss Parker is a nice person.....it's just hidden.......really, really, well.




TBC....

As usual, feedback is appreciated and loved!
little_miss_krystal@hotmail.com