Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Epilogue: Destiny


Jarod felt broken inside, to a degree, even holding his children didn't mend the shatter.
"Why did she leave?" he asked the man on the other end of the phone line. Jarod sat in the window seat of his bedroom, watching the rain fall on the French hills she had bestowed upon her family as her mother had done for her. The stars not marred by clouds were bright and shining almost blue in the midnight sky.
"Jarod..." Sydney sighed, "You've known Parker since you and she were children. More than anyone, you know her. She was never meant to be what you're asking of her."
"She was!" Jarod argued, "They made her into something else, you made her..."
"No, Jarod. She looks like her mother and she has her mother's heart. She won't rest until the Centre hurts no one else. She won't live until everyone else has the same ability. And Miss Parker will never stop and let herself be free until there is no one else imprisoned as she once was."
"The children," he cried into the phone, "they need her."
"They understand, they know her. They need you now. Not her any longer. She has things she must do. You know that and so do they."
"Why did she have to leave me, though? Why couldn't I come too? The children... Ben could..."
"No, he couldn't." Sydney disagreed. "Monica and Catherine are of the same heart, the same mind, the same soul. And Katya will follow and be the same. The Centre held them prisoner moreso than the rest of us. And until all are free, they never will be. Catherine was free in death, however, Monica hasn't that luxury. She wasn't born to be all that you want, Jarod. She was born for this place, this town, these people. She can't be what you want. This is her home, Jarod. This is where she was meant to be."
"I'm her home! We're her home!" Jarod cried, his voice falling into sobs. "I'm sorry, Jarod. I truly am. You'll see her again, take comfort in that. She loves you and her children and that's all that she can give you. Cherish the time you've had, the love. She'll go back to you in the end.
"Remember, son, you can't ask but so much of anyone. Some people... are made to be only certain things. And Parker... she's made to be free, but her mother's heart and voice are inside of her, and they mandate that the Centre be destroyed and the victims be vindicated before she can be free. Whether or not she is free with or without you, that's your choice, and hers."
"What if her freedom comes only as her mother's did?" Jarod whispered.
"Then..." Sydney whispered, "That's up to destiny."
The click of the phone sounded in his ear, and he turned to look at the woman standing at the window in his living room. Her hand lay against the glass as she stared into the rain, the tears of fear and wonder, determination and need, rolling down her face.
And somewhere across the ocean a familiar star twinkled and words only they could hear were whispered from the heart of a woman that died fighting what had seperated the lovers on either side of the sea.
"Love is like the truth... it can kill you... or it can set you free."