Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Major’s Secret Location

 

“Major?”

Major Charles turned around and looked at Gemini. He had been taking care of the boy nearly three years now. It was tricky, at first, taking care of the clone of his son. It almost felt like cheating at times, like he was stealing time with Jarod. But, the boy was different. Raised different.

And he was family. In a way. “Yeah?”

“Emily’s on the computer.”

“Oh.” He moved over toward the computer and smiled wide at his daughter. “Emily. How are you? Any luck finding your mother yet?”

That look. Sorrowful. “Dad?” She said softly. “Jarod’s trapped in The Centre again.”

No. He placed his hand to his forehead.

“Jarod’s left The Centre before. He’s even come back and forth. They haven’t found out how he got out yet,” Gemini answered. “The worry should be minimal.”

“Maybe he can still get out on his own,” she said, “but he can’t because he’s the only hope for a little girl’s life. He has to find a cure for her.”

“A little girl’s life?” Major Charles asked. “Whose?”

“I don’t know.” She was still very sad. “I know this because someone contacted me. Catherine Parker’s daughter.”

“Miss Parker?” No. “How did she get your number? Are you safe?”

“It’s not like that. She’s trying to get Jarod out.”

Jarod out? “Has she turned over a new leaf?”

“No.”

“You are really sad,” Gemini said, looking toward her. “I wish I could make you feel better. Can you tell us why you’re sad?”

“She wants to help Jarod,” Emily sighed, “because somehow she became impregnated with his kids.”

“What?!” Major Charles mouth just hung open. “I mean, what?”

“And she’s worried because apparently the leader separated her from her brother at birth,” Emily said. “She doesn’t trust The Centre. Oh, but she doesn’t mind stalking Jarod for six years.”

“Okay.” Major Charles held his hands together, thinking. “The Centre impregnated her with Jarod’s kids?”

“No, The Triumvirate. She says it’s not The Centre, but The Triumvirate runs The Centre!” Emily shouted. “Jarod’s kids are in the belly of our enemy!”

Major Charles wiped his mouth and shook his head. “Oh, this is bad. Jarod’s children, if they are in Miss Parker, will become part of The Centre if we don’t get them out.”

“But she doesn’t want out, she just wants to know the kids are safe. She doesn’t regret going after Jarod at all!” Emily cried. “How could anyone do that to Jarod?”

“Miss Parker was nice.” Gemini interrupted the uncomfortable silence. “She was the first person who was ever nice to me. I think we should welcome her into the family.”

“Catherine Parker was nice.” Major Charles sat down in a seat, his bones feeling old and tired as he let out a deep sigh. “Her daughter. She’s got one big question mark on her.”

“She chased Jarod for six years,” Emily said again. “And she didn’t sound one bit regretful.”

“But she told you about Jarod,” Gemini said.

“She is selfish, and I don’t trust her. I don’t think she should be around Jarod’s kids.”

“But, they are her children as well,” Gemini said. “They share them. Together. Miss Parker’s the mom. Jarod’s the dad.”

“This is a complicated matter,” Major Charles said. “But it’s not our decision. It’s Jarod’s. They are his children.”

“But this is our family. It’s really hard to keep it together,” Emily said. “I still think she’s the enemy. What if she finds out about us, and she turns us over to The Centre? Dad?”

“I don’t know,” he answered. “If you want to keep her out, Emily, you may have to keep Jarod out too. I don’t see him as . . . someone who’s going to turn a parent away from their kid. No matter who the mother is. Not after all this.”

“But, dad-“

“I’m just laying it out,” he answered. “Now, first things first. Let’s find out what’s really going on at The Centre, where he’s at, and how to contact him safely to create a rescue plan. Because it sounds like this one might be a doozy. If we screw anything up, a little girl’s life could be lost forever.”

“Did she say anything else?” Gemini asked.

“Well. Their names are Angel and Onyssius.”

Gemini smiled. “Our new family members have names.”

“Grandkids from The Centre. Did not see it coming,” Major Charles said.

“It’s exciting news,” Gemini said, “but is there anything else?”

“She recited a number. She addressed it like she was talking to someone named Broots.”

“Oh. He could be the dad of the little girl, or maybe a contact?” Gemini pulled out a separate laptop. “Give me his information. He can’t be that hard to find.”

 

-------------------------

Jarod’s Room.

 

Jarod looked outside the plexi glass. “Broots, are you still there?”

“Uh. Yeah.”

He thought so. It was lights out. Jarod should be sleeping, but he didn’t always want to play by their rules. Everything was taken away of course, past midnight, right before lights out. “You should go home.”

“Oh. I’m fine.”

Jarod sighed. “Look, I’m sorry about your daughter. I’m doing what I can. You can’t stay in one place forever though. She’s probably gonna be okay for awhile, Lyle was timing it for a whole year. We’re just lucky Sydney was thinking early, that’s all.” Still, he wasn’t moving.

“Don’t worry, I’ll find somewhere else to go.”

“Well, I didn’t mean it like that,” Jarod said. “Honestly, I won’t get any company but you probably. Maybe Sydney. I haven’t seen Miss Parker yet.” He delved more into it. “You’re sure she’s fine?”

No answer. He either didn’t answer or was already gone.

 

---------------------------

The Centre’s Health Ward

Sydney watched as Debbie played with the puppies. At least there was someone that she was allowed to have contact with. Watching her through glass, just like others watched Jarod. Horrifying. What had Lyle done to her?

No signs were showing, but the blood test definitely found her white blood cells becoming lower than the norm for someone her age. At least right now, she was healthy. It was a shame Broots wasn’t allowed to see her as much though. It was as if the Centre really believed he’d bust her out.

Even Sydney had limited time to watch through the glass. But then, he watched as Broots walked up to him.

“How’s she doing?” Broots asked. “Oh. Puppies. She really likes those.”

“Yes. She does well with them. They help keep her company, since no one else is allowed to,” Sydney said. “How many hours do you get to see her, Broots?”

“Three total. They, uh, think I’ll focus better if I don’t dwell on her so much.” He had a strange sad chuckle when he said it. A look only Broots could ever pull off. “But, I don’t have a choice. I can’t make the Centre mad.”

“What do you have underneath your arm?” Sydney asked.

“Oh, uh, envelopes,” Broots said. “Raines wants some invitations sent out for some . . . thing.”

“And the night before it was what?” Sydney asked.

“I forget. I think delinquent account calling?” Broots said.

“They are taking advantage of you, Broots,” Sydney said as he stared at Debbie. “You can only see her three hours a day. You must be beside Jarod all day. And they are giving you things to accomplish in between. You’re not getting the rest you need.”

“Oh. I-I don’t think I would anyhow,” Broots said. “Doing the crummy jobs no one else wants in the Centre tonight or going home to sleep without her each night. I’d rather do the crummy jobs. I-I fall asleep between here and there.” He rubbed his eyes, pulling the tears out of them and sniffled. “I don’t know. Sure is making those focus treatments look good right about now.”

“Don’t say that. Don’t ever say that, Broots,” Sydney said. “Is Jarod up right now?”

“Um. I think so.”

“Raines doesn’t like me talking to him very long, so this will probably be the best time. I need to tell him what we saw. Her private life or not, he needs to know. I’m sure he must be wondering by now.”

“Yeah, go ahead.” Broots felt his phone ring. “Hello.”

“Hello.”

“Um. Hi?” Broots looked confused. “Do you have the right number?”

“I think so. Do you know Jarod?”

Broots moved from his phone to look at Sydney and whispered, “there’s a young kid asking about Jarod?”

Sydney took the phone. “This is Sydney.”

“Oh. Hello to you again.”

“Oh.” Sydney grinned, looking toward Broots. “Yes, I remember you. How are you?”

“I’m fine. I took the name Gemini, if you want to call me something now.”

“Nice to hear from you again, Gemini,” Sydney said.

“Nice to hear from you. Uh. I am looking into this Broots character? He works at The Centre, hunted Jarod for six years with you and Miss Parker. Is there a reason Miss Parker would give us his number?”

“Perhaps.” Sydney looked toward Broots. “Something happened to his daughter.”

“Okay. Debbie. Correct? That’s who Jarod is there to save?”

“Yes, Gemini. Is Major Charles there too?” Sydney asked.

“Broots is a technical analyst and a computer programmer.” The sound of thumping was heard on the other side. “I’m sure it would be impossible to hand Jarod the phone, right?”

“Right,” Sydney said.

More thumping. “Oh, I get it. I will need to talk to Broots.”

“Yes.” Sydney handed the phone back but whispered. “It’s Jarod’s clone. He knows something’s wrong with Debbie, and knowing his skill, now knows everything about you, so be truthful but cautious around what you say out loud.”

Broots nodded. “Uh. Hello?”

Sydney smiled as he walked away. Getting closer, Jarod. Not to saving Debbie, but figuring out how to get him out of there.

 

Sydney walked into the darkness of Jarod’s abode. He wasn’t allowed to go beyond the plexiglass this time.

“Sydney.” Jarod came closer in the darkness. “Any news?”

Sydney smiled at him, big and wide. “I have nothing, Jarod. So far, no one has made any contact.” He did not stop grinning. “There’s no hope anywhere.”

“That’s devastating, Sydney.” Jarod smiled wide too. In the darkness, the cameras could see, but not see expressions as well. However, they could see each other’s expressions very well.

“I don’t see how there will ever be a way to get out,” Sydney said with his usual smile. “For instance, Major Charles and the boy of the Gemini project, without someone finding out where they were, they could never know about this or you. None of them could.”

“Yeah. It’s really hard to live with that knowledge, but at least I’m helping someone.” Jarod read between the lines.

Then, Sydney dropped his smile. “However, giving you no hope is not why I’m down here. I need to talk to you. About, the focus treatments Miss Parker went under. I don’t know exactly what they did, but I saw it. I saw it, little by little, until it all just came to be.”

Jarod scooted as close as he could. “What are they? You told me, briefly.”

“They are . . . cheats,” Sydney said. “When a little girl gets fond of a balloon and it pops, she should be sad about the balloon, or even cry about the balloon. A little girl on a focus treatment, would simply take it as it is. A popped balloon. Replace it or forget it. No crying. No emotion.” He sighed. “Miss Parker’s focus treatments don’t work completely. She’s not without feeling, but to stir emotion in her. You must step deeply into her world. Otherwise . . .  when you are ready for the red alarm lights to go off, I have something.” Sydney brought out a DSA. “I cut it extremely short, about 30 seconds clipped together, to show you.” Sydney opened the door quickly, slid the DSA in, and closed it again. He would probably not be able to get away with that again.

“Red alarm lights?” Jarod picked it up. “Well, no time like the present.”

 

Start of DSA

“No, no, no!” Young Miss Parker was struggling in her seat while a vicious dog, barking and snapping its teeth were mere inches away. “No!” At her side was Mr. Raines. “Please help!”

------------

A later shot of a snake wrapped around her mid-section. One that was harmless, but someone like Miss Parker wouldn’t know that. “Stop it!”

“Recite,” Raines said with no feeling.

“Parker is power. Attitude is power. Family is power. Emotions are weak. Feelings are weak. Pretenders are dangerous. Secrets are dangerous.” It kept coming closer and it screamed again. “Daddy!”

“Up it more,” Raines said.

-------------------

An even later shot, this time with a knife, slowly grazing down her arm. She said the same words, over and over, at a higher and intense speed, it was almost impossible to understand. “Parker is power. Attitude is power. Family is power. Emotions are weak. Feelings are weak. Pretenders are dangerous. Secrets are dangerous. Parker is power. Attitude is power. Family is power. Emotions are weak. Feelings are weak. Pretenders are dangerous. Secrets are dangerous. Parker is power. Attitude is power. Family is power. Emotions are weak. Feelings are weak. Pretenders are dangerous. Secrets are dangerous.”

----------------

 

The next clip showed Mister Parker charging in while a pit bull was barking at Miss Parker. There were even some scratches on her legs from claws that barely managed to reach her. The snake was lying comfortable around her mid-section and lying on her shoulder.

“What in the hell are you doing to my daughter, Raines?!” Mister Parker ran right up to him and throttled him.

“The Parker focus,” Raines said after the throttling. “She needed it. She’s been seeing Jarod secretly, and she’s too weak to live in The Centre, let alone run it when she’s older.”

“Focus is one thing, but I heard from medical you’ve got her running 248 times over the limit!”

“She saw Jarod 248 times. I had to be careful.”

“Wha-that much? How do you know?”

“I just know. She’ll be fine. Nobody dies from it.”

Mister Parker chanted about his little angel as he removed her from the chair. Her eyes were already cold, but he kept muttering how he’d always be there from now on, and how he was so sorry his angel got hurt.

------------------

The last part Jarod barely started to see as he got tackled to the ground before the DSA was turned off was that of Miss Parker. She held her father but didn’t make any noises. Any sounds of crying. She didn’t even look scared.

“God! What Catherine would have thought if she knew about this,” Mister Parker muttered.

“Mother was weak and that’s why she committed suicide,” Miss Parker said plainly. “I won’t be weak. I never will be weak.” She clung just a tiny bit harder to Mister Parker.

“Stop the hugging, you’re going to undo everything!” Raines complained. “Right now she is raw steel, if you start hugging her, she will have a weakness for you.”

“Everyone needs a weakness to overcome,” he simply said. “It’s alright. Daddy’s here for his Angel. My Angel, My sweet, sweet, Angel. Come back to daddy, Angel. Angel, Angel, Angel.” He glared at Raines. “Keep your hands off of my daughter, Raines!”

 

----------------------

Jarod awoke on the floor some time later, of course, alone again with the DSA gone. In that whole mess of torture to her, he didn’t miss the phrase in that whole thing that involved him. Considering the clipping, Jarod could guess she was tortured in several ways for hours, to see if the ‘treatment’ was working. So it only made sense after that, they would send her down to see Jarod.

For the ‘Pretenders are dangerous’ part. That’s why she won’t let up. That’s why, no matter how long I stay out here, no matter how many I help, she wouldn’t. And Mister Parker’s interruption during that transformation was the reason she had any feelings left at all. It might be why she responded so well to the word Angel. He said it repeatedly.

Jarod always knew The Centre was responsible for the damage he had seen in her. He never understood why, or how, but thinking about the torture methods? Sydney barely showed three in thirty seconds. There were probably many, and the torture was long and grueling for the fourteen year old young Parker.

No wonder Broots and Sydney had to say sorry, and why Sydney demanded she tell Jarod. Sydney said they started right after he stopped me from seeing her. There was more to the puzzle, but he had enough to see the answers he had always wanted.

And, because of Mister Parker, there was now more than a slimmer of light that he might be able to bend some of her ‘focus’. He moved himself over toward his bed. Lights out, but he would be demanding to see her tomorrow. To see the results of the treatment she had to go under himself.

Did it make her stronger . . . or weaker?

 

-----------------------

The Next Day

 

“What are you crouching back there for?” Miss Parker asked as Broots kept his head down and followed her from behind.

“Not in the mood to play commando,” he said as they continued to walk.

Miss Parker made her way down to Jarod’s room. She stood in front of the plexiglass. “So, Demanding to see me?”

Jarod approached closer, looking at her feet. “Those aren’t the best to be wearing. You’re carrying extra weight up front, you could trip and fall easier. We talked about this.”

“Sorry, Jarod, but like I said before. Nothing brings me to my knees, least of all gravity,” she said. “So. Onyssius, huh? Aren’t you a clever bastard. Better hope it has half your brains or it’s going to be awhile before it can spell its own name.”

Jarod shuffled around inside the plexiglass up closer. “So, finally caught me,” he said leaning forward slightly more in his shuffling. “How’s it feel? Having me trapped in here again?”

“Feels pretty damn good.” She raised an eyebrow. “You’re back where you can’t go psychotic on anyone.”

“I never would have,” he said, leaning more toward the front of the glass. “Pretenders aren’t dangerous.”

“Sure because the ones who have escaped were a ball,” she reminded him.

“The Centre changes people. They were changed against their wills before they left for freedom. Just as you were,” he said. “How do you feel about pit bulls barking now, Miss Parker?”

“Hm. No problem,” she said. “Just part of tradition.”

“Funny. Daddy didn’t seem to be too happy with the ‘tradition’,” Jarod said.

“Yes. I hear you were watching clips of my life, probably given to you by an old man in a tweed jacket, who can’t keep his nose out of my business,” Miss Parker answered. “What did you want, Jarod, it’ll be 8 AM here soon. They’ll be dragging out your chemistry set for you to play scientist so hurry it up.”

“Did you get a good enough deal?” Jarod asked. “Did Raines give you something you couldn’t refuse?”

She rubbed the side of her ear. “That’s my own business what deal I have. Time’s up.” She turned away on her stilettos.

 “You’re still wearing that dress?” Jarod said “Let me guess. You’re almost six months pregnant, carrying twins, and they don’t have that size in your styles?”

 

“Like you can talk about style. I’ve seen a mess of what you call friends.” She scoffed. “ J-Dog.”

Jarod turned away and hid his smile. Nope. There wasn’t a deal good enough out there for her to ever trust Raines. ‘Pretenders are dangerous’ didn’t override her common sense. She was the one who somehow contacted his family. Only she would have that kind of clearance if anything were found.

He waited as things were brought in for him to work with, trying to keep his expression neutral. Soon though, he’d not only be out of The Centre, but he’d see his family again. Once the hurdles were figured out.

------------------

Two Nights Later . . .

 

Broots knocked on Jarod’s glass door. “Um. Here’s the analysis typed up for tomorrow.” He opened the door and handed them to Jarod.

Jarod felt something beneath the reports. He smiled as he saw it.

“Debbie wanted to make something for you,” Broots said, his head still tucked down. “And uh.” He coughed. “I’m going to see if I can get her some pop *cough* tomorrow. They have 7 essential vitamins and-“ He coughed again, not finishing his statement.

Then he was gone.

Jarod stared at the card. Made it? It was a regular Thank you card with her name on the inside. But it wasn’t even written by her. Oddity number one just showed up. He studied the card. It looked normal, quite normal except there were a few areas with vague underlines beneath them.

Taking the words that were underlined in his head, he unscrambled it. It was a simple email address going to Gemini.

Jarod of course noticed Broots coughing. He tended to do that when he was nervous. Broots . . . was always nervous now that he could lose his daughter. But it was when he coughed, and why he would bother telling Jarod he was going to get her pop tarts. He coughed on tarts. Then, he said something similar to what he said to him. Seven essential vitamins and. He coughed on minerals.

“Jarod?”

Jarod turned and smiled. “Angelo?” He moved toward the front. “What are you doing here?”

“Oh. Raines let me go,” he said sadly. “I too late. To help. You know.”

Angelo always knew things. “It’s good to see you anyway. How’d you get down here?” Jarod asked.

“Oh, I just needed help with something.” Sydney came from the corner and touched Angelo’s shoulders. “Things tend to get away from me sometimes. I was busy on the internet and he popped right out.”

“Yeah. Internet is fun. Right, Jarod?” Angelo smiled.

“Wouldn’t know,” Jarod answered. “Haven’t been able to access it for days. All I have is a couple of databases that I have to record findings in.” But, they would know that.

“Come, Angelo. There is nothing for Jarod to discover from you anymore,” Sydney said as he moved Angelo away.

Jarod went back over to the computer, and scanned all the information. Broots had been filling in the basics when something new came that Jarod was allowed to check into. There were so many chemicals that The Centre had that The Triumvirate could have used, there wasn’t enough room in even his room for them all. He had to work with them in shifts each day, making it even harder to find a cure.

And a cure for what? There was only one sign, a slightly lower white blood cell count. All he could do right now was experiment with them.

To help keep them straight, he had access to a database, and hopefully he could combine similar chemicals. When he needed to do that, he would send Broots to get a different chemical. Sometimes he would get a reaction, no reaction, or some reaction. It was like a giant deck of match, hoping he could see something in one, to ‘match’ in another set from a different day.

Jarod scrolled through the contents on the side. Remembering Minerals, he checked in there. Then, he saw a new section added about Tart Minerals.

Oh. It’d be there a day at most once someone else looked over Broots work. He clicked the link and saw it.

Broots listed every single chemical and ingredient all over the pages. By the looks of it, he really never slept much. But it was all there, in alphabetical order, the full inventory. Jarod judged there had to be at least 2,000 chemicals.

Broots internet must be watched, so he couldn’t use it. It was probably watched at his home now too, and he couldn’t just run off to the library, someone would follow. Sydney could barely even visit Jarod, especially with the trick he pulled last night. Somehow, they expected Jarod to access the internet to get the email to Gemini. But how?

They put all kinds of passwords and blocks on their system. They made sure Jarod could not access it at all. Most people who worked at the Centre probably had to come to work with the passwords written down somewhere. They were never easy to figure out, and changed often. I have to have what I need though. Something. Something, something.

The dress! How could he not see it? She was even wearing her stilettos to make sure I didn’t miss it. He teased her about not being able to fit in her tight, dark fashions she always wore. She knew it was coming.

“Like you can talk about style. I’ve seen a mess of what you call friends.” She scoffed. “ J-Dog.”

 

Jarod pulled up the internet extensions and found it. Miss Parker’s internet wasn’t security enabled right now. He clicked it and found it asking for a passcode. Her saying a phrase and it just being there would be too simple. The Centre would get her for that, and she’d never leave herself open. Hmm.

“Like you can talk about style. I’ve seen a mess of what you call friends.” She scoffed. “ J-Dog.”

Ahhh . . . He put in the name Argyle, the only friend he had who ever called him that.

He did not have long. As soon as it connected, he put in the email address and sent the web page of information off, turned off access again, and stepped away.

It was a lot of chemicals. He wouldn’t be able to leave until he could work with them outside The Centre, or it could be another day short of saving her life. Hopefully, they could figure it out soon.

 

---------------------------

Gemini waited by the computer and watched it come in. “Oh wow. Major? Jarod got me the list.”

Major Charles sat down and stared. “Hell, that’s some list.”

“I estimate a little over 2,000 chemicals.” Gemini scratched his head. “This could be tough. I estimate three days.”

“Three days for all that?” Major Charles said. “I’d say three months.”

“No. If we could get access to a main Triumvirate area, we could get most of everything with much less security. The Centre and The Triumvirate share everything, remember?” Gemini said. “Surely, most of the ingredients, if not all, should be there.”

“Then, we can just find the stragglers,” Major Charles said. “I’m pretty sure that place is going to be tight now.”

“Yes. One of them,” Gemini said. “There are two others. I don’t know where they are at, but I bet our new friend will.”

 

“Oh dear. If Emily can be nice enough to her.”