Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

I do not own Pretender.

The Centre Leader’s Room

 

Sydney observed Raines as he rolled his gas tank around and stared at him and Broots.

 “Miss Parker has been a prisoner for six months, by Lyle,” Raines said. “She could have psychological trauma after that time. And now, almost four weeks later, she is still Jarod’s prisoner as well. Although, I suspect she isn’t in chains. I don’t think Jarod,” he wheezed, “would do that to a pregnant woman. She feels unsafe with the history of The Centre, and she isn’t budging.” He breathed in deeper. “When Jarod makes contact, I want you to concentrate on her. I want to know every detail you see, every word you hear, and every glance she may give you.”

“You are . . . very concerned,” Sydney noted. “Jarod is our prime target, and he has no history of violence that would lead me to believe he’d hurt Miss Parker. He simply wants his family, as in every other case that concerns him.”

“I don’t want to play guessing games,” Raines warned him. “I want Miss Parker back, here at The Centre. Immediately.”

“Um.” Broots finally spoke up. “Catching Jarod isn’t easy. It’s been six years and he’s still out there. I don’t think we can do ‘immediately’ with someone he’s protecting.” Oops. “I mean, he’s protecting his future family. He does wild stuff when it comes to them, even walked in The Centre to cut a deal.”

Raines slowly wheeled his oxygen tank from his desk to the front of Broots. “I want Jarod back in The Centre, but I want the welfare of my daughter to come first.”

“Well, um, in the meantime a-at least Jarod is the best Pretend doctor out there.” The close proximity was disturbing Broots. “Several times better than a real doctor.” Raines still wasn’t moving away. “Our target is Miss Parker. Okay.”

Over Jarod?” Sydney questioned him. “Jarod is the highest priority of The Centre. Is something wrong, Raines?” Raines wasn’t in the best of health, but as far as Sydney knew there were no complications.

“Stresses are high between The Centre and the Triumvirate right now,” Raines simply answered.

“Stealing Miss Parker and impregnating her with Jarod’s child,” Sydney said. “I imagine that put a small dent in it, as did the fact they were planning to assassinate you soon and let Lyle run everything.”

“Who?” Raines said.

“Lyle.”

“Never heard of him,” he commented back. “I am sending in more help to bring her back safely.”

“Well, we are short one person,” Broots said.

“You are getting a new three person assembly, one of which will accompany you in the actual pursuit,” Raines demanded.

“Three?” Three more? “That is extreme. More people do not make it any easier to catch Jarod,” Sydney insisted. “That is who we will need to catch in order to get Miss Parker back.”

“Two of them will be working together to nail where Jarod targets first. You can’t separate them. Literally.” Raines looked toward Broots. “Your need in the pursuit is minimal.  Light computer work to help the new pursuers discover the way Jarod works. Otherwise, I want the three projects you are working on done as quickly as possible instead.”

“What?” Confusion spread onto his face. “You mean, I don’t have to chase anyone down anymore? Just do the side projects, and some tutoring?”

“They are more important to me right now,” Raines answered. “With your years of dedication to Jarod, and your work at the Centre, you are also due a promotion. You’ll get paid three times what you were after you finish these projects.”

“Oh.” That confusion spread to a definite joy. “Yes, sir! You bet, Mister Raines.”

“There will be no use of Angelo in any capacity,” Raines warned each of them. “He is being monitored by 24 hour surveillance, along with guards.”

“Guards too?” Sydney asked. What was Raines hiding with Angelo?

“If you speak to Miss Parker, be sure to tell her that everything is fine.” Raines breathed deeply as he handed Sydney a recording. “Give her this. The Triumvirate will not mess with my heirs.”

“What about her?” Sydney asked, looking at the recording. “Their purpose for her?”

“Is null and void. It was Lyle, and a few insiders inside Mutumbo’s  area,” Raines insisted. “Mutumbo personally guaranteed the traitors were dealt with, and I guaranteed Lyle had been dealt with. The Centre is, and always will be, her home.”

Lies. Mutumbo had to have known what was going on. Raines was stepping lightly.

“Now. I don’t like to talk about this,” Raines said. “It is . . . Parker policy. This situation needs to be taken care of, and just in case either of you start . . . acting foolish about the situation. I must stress it.”

“Stress what?”

Sydney and Broots watched as Raines brought out a case with DSA’s, similar to what Jarod made off with. “Stress that if these fall in the wrong hands, The Centre will make you and everyone you love . . . . gone.”

“What are those?” Broots asked.

“DSA’s,” Raines said. “DSA’s of someone’s entire life.”

“Copy of Jarod’s?” Broots guessed.

“No.” He handed them the briefcase. “My daughter’s.”

 

----------------------------------

 

After each of them left Mister Raines’ office, they didn’t speak. They went straight to their office to work. Broots got down beside the computer. Sydney was quiet over in the corner. “Um.” Finally, Broots spoke. “Did . . . did you know?”

“Of course I didn’t know!” Sydney went off on him. “If I had known I would’ve-!” He cut himself off.

“Well? Do we, um.” Broots glanced over at him. “Do we tell Jarod about her? I mean, next time he contacts us?”

Sydney grabbed a chair and sat on it, contemplating. “Jarod is watching her stress already. He knows that stress with her history of ulcers wouldn’t be good for the pregnancy. But . . .”

“Sydney?” Broots questioned. “What . . .” Sydney started to leave the office. “Where are you going?”

“I am . . . taking a day for myself,” Sydney said. “I need time to adjust to this news. Please, work on your projects, Broots.” Sydney left the office, thinking back to the conversation they had with Raines.

A conversation about a subject he should have known better.

Miss Parker.

 

“What do you mean of her entire life?” Sydney asked. “She was not held at The Centre.”

“From early birth ‘til she was in her early twenties, I kept tabs on my daughter.” Raines opened the DSA case, grabbed one and put it in. “It operates by locating the chip that was lodged into her shortly after birth. Every Centre camera is programmed to switch to her presence, and record it’s log time in part of the . . .” He breathed. “Chronology of her life.”

He hit play. Sydney and Broots watched as Raines carried Miss Parker as a baby away. It went from one room, blacked out, to the next room, blacked out, and to the next room until Catherine Parker was in the room, stretching her arms out for her.

“I. But. I?” Broots looked to Sydney. “Sydney?”

“Raines.” Sydney’s voice was stiff. “You have been spying on Miss Parker all of her life?”

“Not when it wasn’t convenient. I had it removed in her mid twenties, The Centre had total control of her and it was causing complications.” He looked at Sydney. “Having Miss Parker transmitting everything around her, made it easier to find the traitors.”

“Then . . .”

“Why couldn’t I say everything I saw?” Raines said, finishing what he wanted to ask. “I wasn’t in charge. Mister Parker would never have allowed it.” He smirked. “From her lovely home to The Centre itself. Few and far places between were the only thing not monitored. Now.” He closed the DSA player. “Take this. Study it. Study her. Study whatever you need that will help you catch her.”

“What?” Broots pointed shakily to it. “But, how is that supposed to help?”

“Get under her skin. Torment her. That’s how Jarod does it. He patted the DSA player. “Find her weaknesses. Give her riddles to solve. Torture her, and make her hitchhike and run away to get back home.”

“Yes, sir.”

Sydney and Broots looked behind them. By them was another person, stretching his arms out for the case.

“You can count on us.”

Siamese twins smiled gleefully as they strolled over. Clearly connected at the hip area, they each had two arms, two legs and a head.

Sydney looked back toward Raines. “You expect us to just sit and watch her lifetime away to find little bits to torment her with? Raines-“

“Mister Raines,” Raines corrected him. “And if you aren’t comfortable with your job, then I suggest a new one. We don’t do two week notices though. We run differently. Besides,” he wheezed. “It’s no different than we did with Jarod.”

“At least he knew he was being watched.”

“Is that better?” Raines asked him. “Do it or don’t Sydney, but I want Miss Parker back.” He took a deep breath. “If something happens to me, it’s all over. The Triumvirate will cease total control. The Parkers would no longer run it. We have no scrolls, no defense. That is why it’s important to get her back. Even above Jarod. Jarod is important to the future, but Miss Parker is the now. Without the Now, There is no future.”

“And you will keep both heirs?” Sydney asked innocently. “They won’t be separated at birth? Even if one is as brilliant as Jarod himself? I’m sure Miss Parker is quite worried . . . that The Centre may meddle in her own affairs with them.”

“You know there are two,” Raines said. “All of The Centre knows there are two, there will be no secrets. The delivery will be open to all The Centre who want to see it, to destroy any chances of taking anything. If any don’t survive, I will personally see to it there is a funeral and wake with a body presented for her to identify with a signed signature, and identification by you and Broots, if that’s what it takes to get her back!”

“But . . . Catherine Parker?”

“I already have control of The Centre. I’m not young and I don’t need to be reckless. The future survival will be better with two, and if they are as brilliant as Jarod? Then The Centre will be in the best hands for a long time to come.”

“But.” Broots was getting braver again. “What about Jarod?”

“You will be capturing him too. He is the second highest priority, and he’s escaped The Centre for six years.”

“Well, yeah, but that’s not what I mean,” Broots said. “Are . . . I mean, if he’s brought back, will he get to interact with his kids?” He cleared his throat. “Sir?”

“Probably not, Broots,” Sydney said looking toward Raines. “I doubt the children would be perfect candidates to run The Centre, if they knew their father was a subject himself.”

“Actually.” Raines . . . smirked. “The Centre is all about family. They can see their ‘daddy’  up to two hours a day. As long as he’s working well.”

“And you don’t think that kind of exposure would change them in any way?” What was Raines up to?

“Miss Parker broke the rules and interacted as a child with him. She still became the perfect one to run The Centre after me,” Raines said.

“But?” Broots just gestured toward him. “She’s um, she’s called you names, threatened you several times, and almost shot you. So.”

“She has a Parker kind of heart,” Raines said, almost with pride. “It always stabs hard for affection.”

 

At his house, Sydney held himself a drink as he sat back in his chair. He swirled it in his glass. “Old fool. Just an old fool.” He took a drink. “A fool about Jarod. A fool about Catherine’s child.” He took another drink. “Just an old fool.” He picked up his phone.

Jarod would not be happy about it. Far from it. He’d probably hold a lot of blame over him, and he’d be right to do it.

He polished off his drink and slammed it down.

Sydney could never make up for all the years he kept Jarod at the Centre. But now, he realized he let down someone else. “I knew it too,” he slurred. “I knew it. Ever since that last time with her, and I didn’t push it. I didn’t push it at all, I just ignored it.” He picked the glass back up and refilled it.

He didn’t even get a chance to talk to Jarod about any voices or visions Miss Parker could be hearing. Since Ethan was special, he might assume it was the same thing.

It wasn’t.

 

---------------------------------

 

“You have to get Miss Parker back here safely,” Raines said, “or things could turn sour for her.”

Broots asked. “Why? How will things turn sour?”

“Miss Parker is true Parker blood,” Raines said. “When a Parker is pulled into training, their minds are . . . changed a little. It helps them focus.”

“Minds change?” Broots asked. “What do you mean?”

A child’s scream was heard outside the door. Broots stood up, and then looked at Raines. “What’s that?”

“Nothing. We’re discussing work, Mister Broots. Sit down.”

The scream came again. This time, Sydney stood up. As he headed to the door, so did Broots and the two Siamese sisters.

“We are in the middle of a meeting, gentleman, where do you think you’re going?” Raines said. “If you leave out that door, you’re fired.”

Broots stopped almost as soon as the Siamese sisters, but Sydney reached the door handle. If he was fired, he would no longer be able to help Jarod from the inside. And now, Miss Parker. But there was a child in trouble.

There was another scream, and Broots, Sydney , and the Siamese sisters all made for the door. Sydney opened the door.

In front of them was a sweeper.

“And that’s what it is. There is no child in danger.” Raines snapped his finger and a little girl came from behind the sweeper. She was fine, just smiling. “She’s happy because she gets an extra piece of candy for pretending.”

“What game are you playing?!” Sydney insisted.

“Sit down.” Everyone came back over and took their seats again as Raines moved back behind his desk. He wheezed. “Jarod would have ran out that door as soon as he heard the child scream. Broots stood up as well as Pipper and Papper. Sydney did nothing until the second. It took the third to go after her. Williams stayed seated.”

“You threatened our job,” Broots said.

“External factors. The degree that it takes to help someone. Let’s just say that . . . Parkers are kept focused on what is important. Not on the child crying, but the meeting.”  Raines breathed deeply. “That same focus can be lost when an intense physical condition happens. In this case, pregnancy could be causing Miss Parker to . . . regress.”

“Mister Raines,” Sydney addressed him. “I would like to know more about this focusing process.”

“You can’t. It’s too late, Sydney,” Raines said to him. “There are some things that can’t be undone.”

“At fourteen,” Sydney said. “It was at fourteen, wasn’t it? While she was in training? What did you do to her? Advanced re-education?”

Mister Raines just . . . smiled. “We get rid of the ‘distraction’, so that she’d stay in her seat. Instead of scurrying around like the other mice, her mind stays focused on one target. Her cheese.”

“What?” Broots looked toward Sydney then back to Raines. “Miss Parker would have got up to check too.”

“Yes. Even after the procedure she was still . . .” Raines paused. “Distracted. She still holds a lot more focus though.”

“Damn it, Raines!” Sydney raged on him like he were his colleague and not in charge of The Centre again. “She was just a child! What did you do? Surgery on the brain?”

“It doesn’t matter,” Raines said. “It’s irreversible. And it doesn’t hurt. I had it done as well. Mister Parker had it done. Even Lyle had it done. The procedure is kept so secret though, I would not allow it on the DSA’s. Don’t bother looking.”

“Mister Lyle? When he came to the Centre?” No reaction. “As Bobby?” A faint smile. “And shortly after, he committed his first murder.”

“Focus is important. He got his cheese.”

 Sydney was getting the hint. “It’s disturbing.”

“It’s the Parker way. It strengthens the focus, to help ignore all the scurrying mice.” He breathed harder. “Who doesn’t like cheese?”

Sydney sat down, almost dazed. “And the boy, Ethan?”

“Ethan had an inner sense that could be damaged and make him useless,” Raines insisted. ”However, Miss Parker’s focus can cause distraction and indecision if the body undergoes trauma. It could be undone. That’s why . . .” He faded off a moment in a wheeze. “Thomas Gates had to go through his own gates to heaven.”

Half fact. Half cruelty.

“So? You mean, so the true Parker women-“

“Don’t. Have. Children. They come from the male side.” Raines took a deep breath. “Besides. He was a distraction. She is still vulnerable to distractions.”

“Yes, you’re right. She still has an ability to live a meaningful life,” Sydney said firmly. “She can still love. Still tell right from wrong.” He knew that, he’d seen that. Plenty of times.

“It’s harder for her with that flaw, but yes. We help counter those distractions as we can.”

“Yes. Distractions. Good,” Sydney said. “I very much hope she does keep getting distracted.” He could see Broots looks of desperation to not push so hard. Raines owned everything. If he wanted to, he could ask a sweeper to step right through the door and kill him if he wanted too.

But, Sydney. Sydney wasn’t taking any of those pleading looks. Not now.

“She can’t. Soon, she’ll be insane, with no idea which voice or action is hers anymore.” Raines took a deep breath. “Unless she receives treatment. Only The Centre can give her that treatment.”

“She’ll be insane?” Broots asked.

“The brain is a fickle machine, Mister Broots,” Raines addressed him. “As you can tell from Angelo. Things happen. The less she stresses, the better her odds, but she always stresses. Especially about her mommy.” He wheezed slowly. “If something happens to me, and she’s unfit, you will be working under the Triumvirate, and believe it or not, they will not be half as kind. Their focus is even . . . sharper.”

“They undergo it too?” Sydney said more to himself. “At what age?”

“That is not part of the current conversation, or need to know,” Raines wheezed. “I just need Miss Parker back. Take the DSA player and everything here. Torment her until she breaks. Find a way to leave a message, to make sure she gets the point and gets back here.”

“He might just steal her back,” Sydney said. “Jarod is good at that. Is she going to get treatment right away, or will it be too dangerous for the pregnancy?”

“ . . . just bring her back. You’re all dismissed.”

Broots looked around at the Siamese sisters and the other person. “Um. Hi?”

“Hello!” The twins said upbeat.

“Meet and greet outside. Get out,” Raines said clearly.

Broots, Williams, Pipper and Papper all headed out but Sydney remained there.

“I said leave,” Raines warned him again.

“A blood test was performed yesterday concerning Broot’s daughter,” Sydney said. “Results have been delayed.”

“Delays happen. I’m sure you’ll get them. It’s not the biggest problem in the world for me right now, Sydney.”

Sydney didn’t answer, but he didn’t take his eyes off Raines as he left the room.

 

----------------------------------------------

 

He sat himself down for a time.

Like Angelo. Whatever happened to Angelo, it must have been similar to what happened to Miss Parker, only less . . . aggressive. “Get the cheese,” he said, thinking about it again. “Ignore the scurrying mice and just get the cheese.”

Another drink. Another shot of courage. It was getting later, and he had to do this. Setting his glass down, he picked up the phone.

And then put it back down. He’d have to do it soon. Each time something bad happened though, Jarod would always ask in the angriest tone how he could be a part of such and such. And sadly, most times, Sydney was clueless. Numb to the facts.

When he found something out though, or helped Jarod in some way, he imagined that familiar smile, heard that cheery tone of the boy he once took care of.

And this one. This one.

Jarod was going to come unglued. Bad. Like when he confronted him about being stolen. And, he didn’t even know how to approach the fact that Broots’ daughter’s blood tests were being delayed either. He couldn’t work that in easy. Not as angry as Jarod would be.

 

Just a few more minutes.

 

--------------------------------        

The Next Day . . .  

Miss Parker looked in front of her at the oven.

“Should really use that thing.”

No.

“Should.”

No.

“You could make Jarod something homemade.”

No.

“Make him what you used to make with momma.”

No. I don’t remember it.

“Yes you do. I could even recite it to you. It’d be a nice thing after you said you thought he was going to go crazy. You weren’t supposed to tell him that. It hurt him.”

“Shut. Up.” Why couldn’t it leave her alone? “You used to not have voice. You were just a gut feeling. Why the hell don’t you stop? Why the hell are you still bothering me? I told Jarod the truth. I’ve been decently nice.” Why was it still tormenting her?

“Fix something. It’ll be good for all of you. Jarod’s doing his thing upstairs. You’re bored downstairs. Why not?”

“Because I could be doing something else! Like contacting someone else.”

“No, don’t. Why? It worries Jarod.”

Miss Parker picked up the phone. She wouldn’t see Jarod for another day still. “Are you really just pro-Jarod all the time?”

“Well, not when he dissed the name Angel.”

“I can’t keep hearing me like this.” She was growing concerned. “At least say ‘I’ again, because I am literally starting to believe . . .” That it wasn’t her inner sense. That her mind was just going. “I should make something that’s easy.” But, okay. Sort of.

For the donuts.

“A Sundae Party! Give him the Sundae Party you always wanted to!”

“ . . . ice cream does sound pretty good.”

----------------------------------------

Sydney didn't move. He hadn't worked up the courage last night, and things just got worse throughout the day. Much worse. He should have called. He didn't stay long at work, getting too disgusted. How was he supposed to work like this? Pipper, Papper, and Williams. They were all definitely Raines people.

But, it couldn't be held off forever, and the phone made its presence known as it started to ring. He knew the number calling him. Jarod. He couldn’t ignore it, and now he was calling him. He picked up the phone. “This is Sydney.”

“Give me something, Syd.” Miss Parker’s voice. “Tell me something new. Give me something. I can’t take this being nice much longer. I’m about to blow my kettle lid off! It’s been three weeks, living in these miserable fake lives that Jarod conjured up. I have been a pregnant girlfriend to a guide for a Space Center, one to a pig inseminator, right now, I seem to be a girlfriend of a Doctor Hopkins, but soon I am probably going to be some wife at a donut factory!”

“Miss. Parker.” He sighed. “Please calm down and we can talk.”

“I need help, Sydney. I hear something, a voice. I thought it was my inner sense, just strengthened, but I don’t think it is. When I was younger, something happened. When it first began, I . . . I’m not crazy, I know I’m not, but I literally have my fourteen year old self talking back to me, about today!”

“She is you, Miss Parker,” Sydney said.

“No, because we don’t, we aren’t on the same page. Sometimes we are and I feel like I’m agreeing with myself, but many times, we aren’t. She wants to go all goody two shoes and I can’t take this much longer. She made me throw a big Sundae Party. Why would I do that?”

“Miss Parker,” Sydney said. “It’s okay, I understand. Do you remember . . .”

“Remember what, Traitor?”

Sydney struggled as Pipper and Papper grabbed him and Williams took the phone. “Oh, well if it isn’t the lovely Miss Parker. How are you today?”

“Did you just nab Syd in his own house?”

“Yessiree.”

“Impressive. That takes guts. Who are you?”

“Williams, Miss Parker,” he said to her. He winked at Sydney. “So, I hear you want a good deal from Mister Raines. An even better deal than you already got? I got one for you.”

“I’m all ears.”

“More than ears, you are way more than ears,” Williams said Creepily.

“Stop it!” Sydney struggled to break free. “Parker, you must control yourself!”

“Did you hear about the Pizza Planet down in Texas? Middle of it?” Williams asked. “Seems somehow a prerecording of what sounds to be your mother, getting on and never leaving the elevator, with you screaming, got shoved into their music system somehow. It was so disturbing, made frontline news in that small city.”

“ . . . wha . . .”

“But that’s nothing compared to what’s on the side of The Centre right now. Go ahead, check it out. Pipper and Papper are excellent at digital painting, and your mother’s face all mashed up . . . with a special little message below it,” he said with a bite in his voice. “Daughter of a Whore, It’s Just Beginning. We’ve got so much dirt on you, Jarod’s torture will look like child’s play, Miss Parker. Missy. Angel. Little Miss. Or my personal favorite? No One.”

Sydney was released while Williams tucked the phone into Sydney’s own pocket.

“Dial tone. Wonder why. Pipper. Papper,” Williams commanded. “I think Mister Raines can expect his daughter home soon. Oh, and Sydney? Thanks for the heads up.” He patted Sydney’s pocket where he put his phone. “Go ahead and contact Jarod whenever you want. The sooner he knows where his Miss went, the faster we’ll catch him too.”

“Six years for the chase?” Pipper giggled. “Gosh, we are going to nab two in less than two days.”

“I know,” Papper said. “There’s definitely been a traitor blocking everyone alright. What should we do with him, Williams?”

“Nothing. Sydney just has a personal line to keep in contact with his Pretender, so he has someone to cuddle up to. Otherwise, he’d buzz off forever. Am I right, Sydney? No reason to throw him off the case.” He leaned toward him. “Professional opinion anyway.”

“What you three have done no human should do to another!” Sydney spat. “You have no right to torment her that way!”

“We just did a painting,” Pipper said. “Williams is the one who did the recording.”

“Although, that’s nothing compared to what’s next.” Hearing Sydney’s cell phone go off, he smiled. “Good, Missy is still playing with us.” He answered it again. “Hello?”

“You son of a bitch!” Her voice was livid. “Desecrating my mother’s memory like that. You’re going to pay.”

“I don’t think so. I think you’re going to pay,” Williams warned her. “You see, No one, Mister Raines has a DSA player of you from birth into well into your twenties. I know everything about you. What you want people to believe. What you don’t want people to know. What you don’t want people to see.”

“Williams!” Sydney shouted at him.

“There’s no filter on these puppies. Like the puppy you saw when you were eight and you begged your mommy to get but you weren’t old enough yet. Or the meal you made with your mom that got burned, but you both giggled and ate it anyway. Or the showers, daily dressings, and private encounters with your lovely boytoys. Going rate is 4,000 around The Centre for simple shower cutscene DSA’s. I start taking custom orders tomorrow.”

“Bastard!”

“Hey, Mister Raines said whatever it took. Doesn’t mean I can’t make a profit on the side. Any other whore and there’s no way they’d pay, but there’s a lot of people at The Centre that want to know the elusive Miss Parker, inside and out.”

“And if you actually get off on that,” Pipper shouted on the phone. “We’ve also got your daily sessions with your therapist when you left for training!”

“Yes. A lot of people will be getting more than lunch tomorrow when all The Centre TV’s mysteriously kick on to show ‘No One’. Let’s let everyone know how Miss Parker became the cold hearted bitch they know today.” Williams handed the phone back to Sydney. “There we go. I’d say she should be arriving within a few hours, depending on where she is in America.”

Sydney stood still as they left. In just a few hours, Miss Parker would be back, and Jarod would have to be forced to do something drastic.

He sat back down with his drink. Jarod would soon call. He would soon call.

 

He would call.