Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: Pretender is not mine. I don't care for the stress of it being mine, so I don't want it to be mine. I do however like the idea of being like an aunt and doing what I want with the concept of the show and then giving it back. Oh and Voyager isn't mine either neither are the cast or crew...prolly not necessary to put that but well...i felt like it. Oh and to that person who really is posting the scripts, no offense meant to you. Really. Thank you for doing that. :) Anyways. Enjoy.
Author's Note: Warning! This is pure puff. Ok I admit it. I am a trekkie and I only wrote this as an homage to Voyager. I am going to miss it, but it gave me seven years of joy. Don't get me wrong this fic does have a point, but it's a bit of a metaphor. Hope you find it enjoyable! Let me know! P/T forever! Oh and MP/J forever too, I haven't forgotten I am a pretender fan!


Saying Goodbye
Admiral Sab





She stood up to get a glass of water and noticed the picture out of the corner of her eye. How did it get there? Where did it come from? She already knew the answer. She did not understand the meaning of the picture, but she knew that she would soon. And as if on cue the phone rang.

"What?"

"No, Miss Parker, the question is 'why'." A familiar voice stated with his deep inflection.

"Jarod, asking why would imply that I cared to know why and I don't." Miss Parker replied in her usual biting tone.

"Of course you care Miss Parker. You are only pretending not to."

"No, Genius, I am not. Last time I checked YOU were the pretender."

"I am just one pretender. I do believe that you, Parker, are a very good pretender yourself."

"Just cut to the chase I don't have time for this. I have to leave here to try and trace clues so I can catch you and bring you in here so I can have a nice cushy desk job."

"You know there are other ways to have a nice cushy desk job. Like being a secretary, for instance."

"Jarod, my patience is wearing thin. What is this picture all about?"

"The picture is about us."

"Come again?" Miss Parker is trying not to laugh audibly.

"Did you even look at it?"

"Yes, it is a picture of seven people posing for a picture. They look happy."

"Looks can be decieving. Show the picture to Broots. He'll clarify some things for you. I will be in touch."

Miss Parker gets annoyed by the click and calls for Broots. Broots scurries in to see what his boss wants.

"Yes, Miss Parker?"

"Take a look at this picture and enlighten me please."

She hands over the picture and Broots takes it and grins.

"where did you get this?"

"Where do I get all my pictures lately Broots?"

"Right. But why would Jarod send you this?"

"Never mind why, who are they and what is the picture about?"

"I am not sure why the picture was taken, probably a celebrity event or a Trek Convention."

Miss Parker looks confused.

"Um the people in the photo are the cast of Star Trek Voyager. The third spin-off to the classic series that came on in the sixties. It was created by a little known cop named Gene Roddenberry. Wow, now that man had a vis-"

"BROOTS! What does that have to do with this picture???"

"Uh nothing. I uh was just uh...ahem. Anyway, the cast of Voyager is what that photo is of. It's sad you know."

"What's sad?"

"That the show will be over soon. If I am not mistaken this photo was taken recently. But how did he get on the set of the show to take it? Miss Parker! You don't think Jarod is the one that keeps posting the scripts and spoilers on the net do you? What if he is the anonymous person that-"

"Focus, Broots. Focus. So, Jarod somehow got onto the set of this show to take this picture of these seven people before the show went off the air."

"Yes. As a matter of fact the date on this thing would be around the time of the last day of filming. Wow. Jarod was on the set that day. What an historical day! I envy Jarod."

"I don't envy you at this moment, Broots, because if you don't tell me what the significance of this photo is I am going to throw you where no one has gone before!"

"The significance, right. Well I really don't see one. It's just a photograph of the cast on their last day of shooting. They look happy, but I know they were sad to say goodbye. It's a sad thing to do."

Miss Parker got a faraway look in her eyes as clarification came. "Yeah. Goodbyes are never easy. Thanks, Broots. You can go now."

Miss Parker took the photo from Broots and sat down at her desk to think. She thought of Jarod and how he had said that the photo was about them. She let her mind wander back in time to a time when she had to make a hard goodbye.

"Miss Parker. What are you doing here?"

"I am just here to tell you that I won't be coming here to see you anymore Jarod."

"Why not?"

"Because Daddy says that I keep you from doing your job. And you keep me from focusing on my studies. So I am going away to school. Daddy says that one day maybe I will get to visit you."

"I don't want you to go."

"It's for the best. Trust me."

"Of course."

"Well goodbye Jarod. I will miss you."

"I will miss you too. Goodbye."

Young Miss Parker turned to look at Young Jarod one last time before she left him and for one brief moment it looked as if she wanted to say more.

Miss Parker was shaken from her reverie by the ringing of the phone. She knew it was Jarod so she ignored it until she was sure that he knew she wasn't his puppy that would jump everytime he called.

"What do you want now, Jarod?"

"Aww, how'd you know it was me?"

"I got Broots to clarify some things for me about that photo."

"And?"

"and what?"

"And what do you think?"

"I think that those seven cast members were lucky to have the time that they had together and they should be grateful of that."

"They are grateful. But they are also saddened because it's the end of something special. Of course there is always the hope of reruns or maybe a role in the next movie as a reunion of sorts."

"Jarod...I-"

"I know Miss Parker. I just wish our reunion after our goodbye hadn't been on such bad terms. I wish that I could have hugged you when we said hello again."

"Jarod, you know better than that. I can't believe I am saying this, but I didn't want to say goodbye that day. I wanted to stay. Daddy was standing in the hallway though. I knew that if I had tried to stay he would have stopped me. I am so sorry."

"Why Miss Parker, are you crying?"

"Me? Cry? Not likely." She says with a bit of amusement because she is in fact starting to tear up.

"Miss Parker, I know you and I may never have a chance for a reunion movie, but how about a rerun?"

"Well there is always the internet. The crew of voyager can live on in fanfic as well. You wouldn't believe the stories those people can come up with."

"Oh I have an idea."

"Really? You know Broots has a theory that you are the anonymous person posting Voyager scripts on the net. Is that true?"

"What do you think?"

"Well, I was just checking. Anyways, as I was saying I am not sure about a rerun or a movie, but how about a fanfic?"

"I can settle for that."

"Who knows, this piece may turn into a series. You never know..."

"No Miss Parker, you never know...so what is this fanfic about?"

"I am not sure. How about new beginnings?"

"I like that."

"I thought you would. So you wanna meet me at my house in an hour?"

"sure. I will bring a movie. Do you watch Star Trek?"

"No, but Broots does."

"Well then, Broots can get his own copy. You know Miss Parker you really should start watching. The final episode is coming on soon."

"Can't wait."

"Give it a chance. The captain is a woman, the chief engineer is a woman, the astrometrics person is a woman."

"There are no men?"

"The commander, the pilot, the security chief, the ops guy, the cook, and the doctor."

"Hmmm....maybe I will watch one episode...just to see what it's about..."

A Month Later The Night of the Finale

Miss Parker and Jarod are cuddled together on the couch.

"I just don't understand why it only ran seven years! It's such a good show. I like the engineer, B'Elanna. Her and that Paris guy have a lot of chemistry." Miss Parker stated with all seriousness.

"You know who else has a lot of chemistry?"

"Who?"

"Us." With that he grinned and kissed her.

"You got that right, it doesn't take a genius to see that!"