Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:

I've always thought Sydney was more a father to Miss Parker than Mr. Parker ever was. What do you think?


TEN YEARS AGO


The following weeks were spent with the main goal of finding Ethan.

Whenever Jarod discovered something about their brother, he showed up at Parker’s house. She usually came home after work to find him eating in her kitchen, reading the newspapers, tapping on his laptop, calling a friend who might be helpful in the search of Ethan. One memorable time, she found Jarod asleep on her couch and she put a blanket over him, deciding at once that watching Jarod during his slumber made her feel peaceful and relaxed. When Jarod woke up, he had a delicious smile on his face, so childish that Parker almost lost it and bent to kiss it away. Hopefully, they were interrupted by Jarod’s phone, but since then Parker had been wondering what would have happened if that kiss hadn’t been interrupted – again! – and if she would resist his charm.

 

As he had promised, Jarod never called. Sydney was becoming impatient and more irritable than ever, since his former protégé wasn’t looking for his advice anymore. Jarod didn’t want Sydney and Broots to be in further danger than they already were, so he thought better than calling his mentor. And yet, he would really need to hear his voice, because his bond with Parker was getting stronger with every passing day and for the first time it felt like they were friends again. They had eventually realized how well they worked together, and they were both looking forward to find their brother.

Jarod didn’t dare making the first step with Parker. Since that first night on her porch, contacts and touches had almost become a taboo. He didn’t want to push her to do anything she wasn’t ready for. And yet it was amazing to see how much her attitude around him was changing. He noticed she came back from work earlier, probably because she already knew when she would find him there, thanks to her inner sense. She smiled more often. And she got more and more confident when Jarod told her Ethan was probably heading back to Delaware.


When ten days passed without ever meeting Jarod, Parker started to get worried. Not more than four days had passed between their last encounters, and she had a bad feeling that Lyle had something to do with it. Her brother hardly ever spoke to her and he spent all the time in his office, without doubt he was conceiving a plan to catch Jarod, or Ethan, or maybe both.

Sydney entered Miss Parker’s office and found her thoughtful and tired. She was staring at a picture, the old man was sure it was one of her mother, or maybe her father. She still didn’t know if Mr. Parker was actually dead, they had never found his body. But Miss Parker couldn’t simply accept the idea of Raines being her biological father.

Sydney coughed to claim her attention and Parker realized the psychiatrist was inside her office. She smiled with unhappiness and let out a sigh of resignation. Sydney walked and stopped behind her chair, just to see that she was holding a picture portraying to young kids walking across the corridors of the Centre. Sydney smiled and realized he’d had the chance to see those very kids wandering around the Centre a long time ago.

“He gave me this”, Parker explained to her old friend, “He took it from a DSA.”

Sydney watched carefully, “That might be around ’71 or ’72.”

Parker nodded. She couldn’t take her eyes off the picture.

“Does he know about your feelings?”

Parker looked at Sydney in astonishment.

“Broots, Lyle and Raines don’t know the two of you as I do, Miss Parker. They can’t see what I’ve always seen.”

“And what exactly did you see, Sydney?” she asked, a bit irritated.

“I saw you growing together and separately. I saw you running from each other for years, trying to deny the truth.”

Parker listened to him, a tear forming at the corner of her eye.

“I saw you fighting a battle with yourself because you always trusted Jarod against your father’s will. I even saw you letting him escape, a couple of times…”

Parker grimaced, but Sydney knew she was actually hiding a smile.

“And I’m seeing you now, Parker. Don’t let it go.”

“It’s never gonna happen, Sydney. Just…forget about it. Who finds his soul mate at ten years old?”

“You did.”

Parker sighed, this time in exasperation. She stood up, while Sydney tried to convince her.

“You love him, don’t you?”

Parker stopped at once, but didn’t turn. She couldn’t face Sydney in that moment. He knew her too damn well. He knew her so well that he made a few steps to reach her and showed her the picture again. Parker sighed.

“Give these kids the gift they never had, Miss Parker. Let them love and be loved!”

“Love was never the problem, Syd...” Parker admitted.

Sydney nodded in response, “Jarod deserves the truth, Parker. Let him know how you feel, before it’s too late.”

Parker did something she’d never done before. She leaned in to put a kiss on Sydney’s cheek. Then she put her hand on his shoulder and moved away, letting the older man alone in her office.