Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:

I'm sorry this took me so long, but I'm very busy, thinking about my little one. She's still in my belly, but she's almost here, I'm going to meet her in August.

And guess what? She'll be named Andrea :)


TODAY

Jarod kept telling himself that he was overreacting, that this was only an exaggeration, as he’d told Parker a couple of days before. But he couldn’t stop wondering if that gut feeling was related to something else. He’d always followed his intuition, even before, even when he was still on the run from Miss Parker. And he’d never been wrong. And after ten minutes of driving, a memory occurred to him like a flashback.

He remembered eight kids sitting down at two tables. He remembered Sydney’s anger and Raines’ humiliation. He remembered young Miss Parker squeezing his hand so tightly that it hurt. He remembered Angelo running.      


And suddenly the realization stroke him as a lightning.

He knew that man. He had seen him before. A long time before, actually.

When Jarod arrived home, he was out of breath and still shocked. He hadn’t been feeling like this since his last escape from Raines and Lyle. And it had been ten years.

He ran to his bedroom, looking for the object he’d been craving the most to reach in the last ten minutes. He needed to understand, he needed to confirm that this wasn’t only a stupid fear originating from Parker’s bad feeling.


Jarod opened the secret compartment in the walk-in closet and took the metal case containing the DSA viewer. He slammed it open, searching for a DSA that he’d barely seen once. When he found it, he put it in the viewer frantically, playing the record.

 



DSA: 20th June, ’71

Jarod and Angelo were sitting on the floor. The pretender was checking on his friend as he played with letter cubes to form the names of the people in the room with them. Sydney was standing right next to Mr. Raines and Mr. Parker, they were discussing and for what Jarod could hear from his actual position, his mentor wasn’t really happy of what was going on.


Angelo was forming another name and Jarod glimpsed at the cubes in time to notice that he was spelling the two words he worshipped the most, ‘Miss’ and ‘Parker’.


Angelo grinned at him and pointed at Jarod’s back, making the pretender turn around and see his friend coming towards him, with the sweetest smile plastered on her face. The young girl almost ran to join Angelo and Jarod, she hadn’t seen them for a couple of weeks and she’d felt neglected. But that was her father’s will, and she never questioned it, let alone objecting it.


Jarod welcomed Miss Parker, standing up, his arms reaching to hold her. She was almost wrapping her arms around him, when she saw her father, his mere presence diverting the daughter to greet her best friend in such an informal way. She wanted to see Jarod and Angelo more, and the only way to do so was to make her father proud of her behavior.


Jarod sensed her change and retracted his arms, his eyes still sparkling.


“It’s good to see you, Miss Parker. It’s been a while.”


“It’s good to see you too, Jarod”, she answered politely, “Good morning, Angelo.”   


Former-Timmy’s satisfied expression turned into a petrified grimace when five kids appeared on the stairs making their way to the floor.


Jarod and Miss Parker watched them walking as in slow motion, both of them sensing that those kids weren’t certainly there for a tea party. Hardly they knew that Sydney was almost as astonished as they were.


“Who are they?” Miss Parker wondered.


“I know one of them. His name is Kyle.” Jarod indicated the boy. “He used to be my friend, but we haven’t been seing each other for a very long time. I thought he was gone.” Jarod explained.


One of the five strangers walked over the room and joined them. He looked like the most friendly of the five kids, he was even smiling at them. 


“And you are?” Miss Parker asked him, almost resentful for having so many strangers faces around her. She was used to know everyone at the Centre, but now she realized she’d been wrong all the time.


“My name’s Eddie. I’m going to work with Mr. Raines for a while.”


Miss Parker squeezed her eyes at him, trying to analyze that boy. He wasn’t as easy to read as Jarod, and yet she felt he was reliable, just like her best friend.


“I’m Jarod, this is Angelo.”


Miss Parker relaxed when she saw Angelo shaking his hand with Eddie, so she imitated him and announced, “I’m Miss Parker. Do you know the others?” Miss Parker questioned Eddie.


“That is Alex”, he replied. “I’ve met him before. Can’t say I really like him, though.”


Jarod’s wish to know everything surrounding him was so compelling that he turned around looking for Sydney. A second later, his mentor joined the group, placing a hand on Jarod’s shoulder. The pretender glanced at his protector with an inquisitive look.


“Who are they, Sydney?”


“No one you should really care about, Jarod.”


Mr. Raines moved from his position next to Mr. Parker under the scrutinizing eyes of the chairman’s daughter. The doctor approached the kids to greet them.


Jarod watched Kyle, Alex and the other kids moving closer.


“They work with Mr. Raines? They work with Kyle?”


Sydney sighed and closed his eyes. He wasn’t enjoying this, at all. And Jarod could read his mind.


Miss Parker felt something, too. She casted a look at Jarod that meant everything. They didn’t need to talk to understand each other. They were both confused and frightened.


Sydney put his other hand on Miss Parker’s shoulder, keeping his children closer than he would have had in any other circumstances, “You’re going to do an experiment, today.”


“What kind of experiment?” Miss Parker asked. This was something totally new to her. She’d never been involved in Jarod’s SIMs until now, and she’d always felt angry about it, almost jealous. She’d always been sure that she could be a good pretender as much as her best friend.


And yet, today she didn’t really want to be part of an experiment, not one that would include Mr. Raines’ presence.


“You’ve already met Kyle.” Sydney spoke, then he pointed at the second blonde boy, “Alex has just arrived from Africa.”


Eddie and Jarod shared a glance that Sydney didn’t notice, “Eddie just came here as well. They are both under Mr Raines’ authority during their stay at the Centre.”


“Who’s that guy, Sydney?” Miss Parker asked the psychiatrist, pointing at the dark haired boy.


Sydney stroked her shoulder slightly, without even noticing, “His name’s Robert. He’s an orphan staying in some clinic in Atlanta. He’s waiting for a family to adopt him. That’s all I’ve been told.”   


Miss Parker suddenly felt the urge to take Angelo’s hand. The little boy flinched, but didn’t retreat until the girl let go of his hand on her own.


“And who’s that boy over there?” Jarod asked, noticing that the last kid was voluntarily staying aside. Sydney shook his head slowly, “That is Gabriel. I can’t tell you more.”


When Sydney’s comforting touch left Miss Parker’s shoulder, the girl took Jarod’s hand and squeezed it firmly, as if her life depended on it.


Mr. Raines approached Sydney again, staring longingly at the three kids of the Centre, then at Eddie.


“We’re going to perform a very exciting simulation, today. And it will involve all of you.”


Jarod searched for Sydney’s reassuring look, but his eyes were set on Raines.


“Let’s go, Sydney. Arrange the teams. I’ll take Miss Parker, Robert, Alex and Gabriel.”


Miss Parker’s heart bumped, and Jarod gasped, “Teams?” the boy asked Sydney. “Which teams?”


“Jarod”, Sydney explained, “The eight of you will form two different teams, today. That’s what the simulation is about.”


Angelo stood up and ran, frightened and screaming like he did whenever he was on the verge of a crisis.


“Stop him!” Raines shouted.


Sydney watched powerless as a sweeper caught Angelo and lifted him from the floor, the young boy struggling to escape from his arms.


“I don’t want to go with them!” Miss Parker screamed, standing up as well, Jarod’s hand still intertwined with hers. Jarod positioned himself between Miss Parker and Mr. Raines, willing to protect her from whatever was going on.


Jarod’s mentor moved past them and joined Mr. Parker on the stairs, his face contorted into a tense expression, “I told you I disagreed with this experiment. They aren’t ready for this!”


“Miss Parker, calm down.” Jarod tried to soothe his friend. “They aren’t going to separate us. Are they, Sydney?”


Sydney had never been more proud of Jarod before. That wasn’t a question, it was a statement. And it meant one thing: Should he be in a different team than Miss Parker’s, Jarod would not perform the SIM.


Mr. Parker watched the scene silently, then he casted a look at his daughter, who was staring at him with tears in her eyes. Sydney and Raines waited for a response.


“As Jarod’s teacher, Sydney has the priority to choose the members of his team.”


As Sydney grinned in satisfaction, nodding with complicity at Jarod, Raines walked fast towards Mr. Parker, glaring at him. “This is unacceptable. The Triumvirate chose *me* as coordinator of this experiment!”


Mr. Parker clenched his teeth, “And I’m still the chairman of the Centre, Raines!”


All the kids stared at that implicit fought for power, almost expecting Mr. Raines to answer as a peacock, opening his tail in counteroffensive. But he didn’t. He moved back and glared at Sydney, who was still gloating for his success. To clarify his victory, Sydney involved his protégé, “Jarod, what did I teach you about performing simulations with other people?”


Jarod answered politely and wisely, “That it’s wrong, Sydney. The perfect pretender works alone, avoiding any distractions. Avoiding feelings to come on his way.”


At those words, Miss Parker tightened her hold on Jarod’s hand. Obviously, he didn’t let go.


“And what happens if a pretender is obliged to work with other pretenders, due to force majeure?”


Jarod shook his head slightly, “Then the pretender must be sure that he can perform at the best of his skills.”


Sydney smiled, “And when does a man works at his best with other people?”


Jarod’s confused expression turned into a sly one, “When he works with people that he already knows. With people he can trust unconditionally.”


Miss parker smiled and looked at Angelo, who grinned in answer.


“And what if he cannot do that?”


Jarod stared at Miss Parker, still behind him, “Then he will refuse to perform the SIM, until he can do it on his own terms, Sydney.”


“Precisely.”


Raines might have killed Sydney with his mere look. But that conversation didn’t bat an eye. The Triumvirate delegates were watching from behind the cameras, the two doctors and Mr. Parker were well aware of that. And Sydney had just won the first round. He walked back towards Jarod and put his hands on the pretender’s shoulders.  


“Jarod, you may choose your teammates, now.”


The boy grinned joyfully, “Angelo and Kyle.”


He pointed at both of them. Then he lifted his arm, with his hand still cleched into Miss Parker’s.


“And Miss Parker.”


Mr. Parker observed carefully at that demonstration of affection between those kids. His daughter was close to Jarod. Too close. And he needed to do something before it was too late.


But today wasn’t the day to think about that problem. That would be dealt with in due time. He nodded at Mr. Raines, who sighed in exasperation, “Fine. Robert, Alex, Eddie and Gabriel will form the second team.”


The eight kids split into two groups and sat down at two different tables, while Sydney and Raines provided the material for the SIM.


Miss Parker was sitting at Jarod’s left, Angelo was at her other side.


“Thank you, Jar.” She whispered to his ear.


“You’re welcome. I only hope we win this competition, otherwise Sydney will be in real trouble.”


“You think this is a challenge?” she asked him.


“Love. Hate.” Angelo murmured. “Good. Evil.”


“What?” Kyle asked the boy.


“Don’t think about it. Angelo doesn’t talk much.” Miss Parker explained.


Kyle seemed interested in the weird relationship going on between the three of them, especially between Jarod and Miss Parker. He never had a girl friend, he hadn’t actually met a girl before. Miss Parker was fascinating, and very smart.


“I think that when two teams are involved, the first one to find the answers wins.” Jarod continued, watching carefully at Mr. Raines, who was talking with Gabriel and Alex. The two kids were smiling maliciously at the doctor.


“And what happens to the losers?” Kyle asked Jarod.


Jarod wanted to reply, but he was interrupted by Miss Parker, “We won’t. Jarod is the best pretender around. Aren’t you, Jar?”


The boy tried hard not to be galvanized by his best friend’s words and contagious smile, “Hardly, Miss Parker. And only if you don’t draw me to distraction.”


Miss Parker’s eyes were almost gleaming, “Do I do that?” she whispered.


Jarod caughed sheepishly and Angelo chose that moment to talk, “Love. Friends.”


The other three kids watched Angelo pointing at the other table, “Hate. Enemies.”


Miss Parker, Jarod and Kyle couldn’t help but nodding in agreement as a bad feeling pervaded their souls.

 



Jarod was still looking at the black screen when he sensed Miss Parker’s presence behind him.

“How long have you been there?” he asked her without turning to face her.


“Enough.”


The pretender stood up and closed the case. He rubbed his face and shrugged, breathing deeply. Miss Parker approached him and throw a few files on the bed. Jarod startled at the sound and opened his eyes wide. Miss Parker had just thrown something that Jarod thirteen years before had sworn not to see anymore on their bed.


The red files.


“Where did you get these?”


“Your safe deposit box in Augusta. How did you remember?” she asked him.


“And you?” he questioned her back, pointing at the red files.


“I called Lyle this morning.”



 

“Well, Sis, I must admit you really made me curious with this quest. I looked for this man in the Centre archives, but I wasn’t able to find anything.”

“Well, I’m surprised that you stole one of your collaborative monkeys from his job to do this little search for me. I reckon that it might have taken… how much, about 12 minutes?”


“For your information I also made a phone call to an old friend of mine at the Bureau who owes me a couple of favours. He couldn’t find anything either.”


“The Bureau…I’m impressed, Lyle.”


“So, couldn’t it be just your fervid imagination?”


Parker sighed, “Were you ever warned about something dangerous by your instinct?”


Lyle thought about it, “Maybe, but it was a long time ago.”


“Well, that was you inner sense, you idiot. And if you hadn’t been so willing to obey our beloved daddy’s orders, perhaps you could have developped it.”


“I’m not a freak, Sis. I don’t need to hear voices in my head to feel complete.”


“Well I’m sorry for you, Lyle, but this is something you will have to face, sooner or later, willing or not.”

 



“Did he tell you about him?”


“No, he said that he wasn’t able to find anything about that man. So I contacted Broots, I sent him the picture, couldn’t find anything either. And then it happened again.”


“What?”


“My inner sense. The voices were so loud that I wasn’t able to comprehend anything but two words.”


“Red files…” Jarod concluded for her.


Miss Parker nodded.


“When I saw that man I had an epiphany. Like a light bulb turning on in my head after a very long time.”


Miss Parker threw the last file she’d been holding and it fell open on the bed.


“Gabriel.” She stated.


“Gabriel.” Jarod agreed, nodding in answer.


“What do we do now?” she asked him.


Jarod sighed, shaking his head slowly.


“I need to speak with Sydney.”


“Do you think that is really necessary?”


“We have no other choice.”