Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:

New chapter for you all.


 

TODAY


With Parker still sound asleep, Jarod kept his promise and took the kids to school the day after.


“Daddy?” Katie asked him from the back seat as they were arriving at school.

“Yes, Katie?”


“Why are you driving us to school? Is Mom sick?”

Ethan stared at his father sitting at his side in the passenger seat, interested to learn the answer Jarod would give them as much as his sister.


“No, Pumpkin. Mommy is fine, I just wanted to do something nice for her since we had a little fight yesterday. You know I don’t like it if she’s upset with me.”

Ethan scrutinized his father’s reaction to Katie’s question. Jarod’s fake smile showed that he was on the defensive, ponderating each word he was using. He could cheat with Katie, but Ethan was a whole other story, and Jarod knew it. He casted a nervous look at his son, faking another charming grin, but Ethan knew better. The son looked at his father suspiciously, then opened his mouth. Jarod was sure that his son was trying to tell him something, but Ethan hesitated a couple of seconds then decided not to talk at all.


Jarod hated lying to his kids, but he had no choice. He couldn’t reveal why he was taking them to school.

Sighing in resignation, Jarod parked the car in front of the building and exited. He helped Katie getting out and kissed her goodbye, “Have a nice day, Princess.”


“See you later, daddy.”

Ethan stopped in front of his father and noticed that he was looking around, pretending that he wasn’t.


“Who are you looking for, daddy?”

Jarod’s eyes moved down to his son. Ethan was so smart and sensitive that he might have felt something. So Jarod took off his sunglasses and bent down to look straight into his eyes.


“Ethan, will you promise me something?”

He nodded vigorously.


“Never – ever trust any stranger.”

Ethan smiled a bit bored, “You told us all the time, daddy!”


“I’m serious.”

Ethan noticed the change in his father’s look. It looked like the ever joyful sparkle had faded, to a certain extent. He knew at once that Jarod wasn’t just making the typical paternal recommendation.


“And always take care of your sister, whatever happens. It must always be the two of you, together. Clear?”

Ethan nodded slowly, “Ok, dad.”


Jarod smiled, “You’re more intelligent than I was at your age, you know that kiddo?”

“Of course I am, daddy. And also more fascinating. At least that’s what Mom always says.”


Jarod chuckled, “I bet she does, Ethan. Have a nice day.”

“You too, dad.”


Jarod watched his kids entering the building, then he was finally free to take a look around. Even if he had the strange feeling of being observed, at first all he could see were parents leaving their kids and saluting them.

But then he saw him. The same man of the pictures, the same man Parker was talking about. Bald, dark complexion, tall, light blue eyes that could even be purple, Jarod wasn’t sure.


The man was smiling at some of the kids and waving his arm to say goodbye, but Jarod didn’t see any kids responding.

Maybe they’re already inside, don’t be paranoic’, he told himself.


And then it happened. The man turned around and nodded imperceptibly, as any other person would do in sign of greeting. Jarod managed to do the same, but he suddenly felt like someone was making an ice cube slide down his back.

Jarod almost ran to the car, getting ready to leave, then he took his chances and drove the vehicle next to the bald man’s one. Jarod didn’t see him look back, so he passed over the other car and checked his rearview mirror. The man was already doing the same: He drove his own car away on the opposite direction and in a few seconds he disappeared from view.


Jarod sighed and kept driving, finally sure of two things.

The first was that Parker had been right all along. That man was creepy.


The second was more frightening.

Something Jarod had been convinced since the man had nodded at him.


He knew him.

He couldn’t focus on the when and where, but he’d met him before. His face was familiar, there was something he recognized in that deceitful smile.


Something coming from the past.