Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:

I know it's been a while, but I'm not giving up on this, I promise. =)


 

TEN YEARS AGO


Lyle parked the black sedan in front of the house that he had reached after following Jarod’s directions – the pretender had contacted him a few hours before to list his conditions. Lyle wasn’t one to quietly follow someone else’s orders, let alone orders coming from Jarod or his sister. But actually, this wasn’t something that happened to him everyday.

Driving for hours, making sure that he wasn't followed by the Centre... And especially with his sound asleep nephew comfortably nestled in a child seat that Lyle had bought the night before.


Lyle had found the boy in a secret cellar down in SL-20. And in spite of what he thought about Jarod or his sister, he had to admit that the boy was really beautiful. After watching the very first videos of Jarod’s arrival at the Centre – when he was only four years old, only a blind man wouldn’t recognize this baby as the pretender’s own son.

Of course, he had something of his sister, too. Her eyes. And probably that was the main reason he was so cute.

For being a two years old child, the boy was more intelligent than the average. When he’d seen Lyle entering the room, he had pointed his little index finger at him exclaiming, “Uncle!”

Lyle wasn’t sure if that depended on the fact the boy had inherited his twin sister’s inner sense, but it had certainly felt weird. Like the boy already knew him.


Lyle closed the car door behind him, looking hastily around. Neither Jarod nor Miss Parker were in sight. He lifted his wrist to check the time, afraid he might be late. But he was right on time for the meeting.

A few seconds later he felt the barrel of a gun touching his back.


“Long time no see, Lyle.” Miss Parker’s voice said. “Don’t wet your pants.”

Lyle grinned as he powerless watched Jarod appearing at his side to open the car door and retrieve his son. The pretender smiled as he held the boy in his arms, trying to avoid to wake him up. In the meantime, Miss Parker searched Lyle for hidden weapons, without finding any.


“So, I guess we’re over here. “ Lyle stated.

“Almost”, Miss Parker answered, stepping aside to let Lyle see her, “I need one last thing.”


“Ah – Ah, Miss Parker. That wasn’t part of the deal.”

Lyle started to sweat. Every wasted second was dangerous. If anyone had followed him, he would soon be a dead man.


“The deal was the boy for your life, and I’m intended to respect it. As soon as you agree on doing me a favor.”

“What would it be?”


Parker lowered her weapon very slowly, “I want you to deliver Ethan’s corpse to me.”

Both Jarod and Lyle gazed at Parker, then they scowled at each other.


“What really happened or how you killed him is none of my business and I don’t wanna know. What I want, is to allow him to have an honored burial. I owe him at least that.”

“I have no idea where he…”


“Don’t – lie – to me!” Parker hissed back at Lyle, approaching him again, the barrel of the gun now dangerously pressed on his chest.

Jarod held his son more tightly, willing to avoid all the shouting to wake him. He looked down at the boy, noticing a silver bracelet pending from the child’s wrist. It caught the pretender’s attention because it had a long metallic bend with an ornament at both sides: Two tiny upright-eights representing his favorite symbol, infinity. Intrigued by the weird coincidence, Jarod turned the bracelet to get a better look at it.


In the meantime, Major Charles was safely hiding behind the bushes like a pro-sniper, with a rifle in his hands aiming directly at Lyle’s head. Margaret was looking at the scene right next to him, rubbing her hands in nervousness.

“Come on, Jarod... You have the boy, what are you waiting for?” the Major murmured more to himself than to his son, who couldn’t obviously hear him.


Lyle was practically panting in fear, “Sis, if I knew, I’d tell you. Only thing I’ve heard was that Raines wants to use the body to test Ethan’s blood, he wants to find out if his DNA can be duplicated.”

“That filthy son of a bitch... betraying what thirty years ago he was so willing to create!”


“And he’s not the only one, is he Lyle?” Jarod's voice interrupted them from the other side of the car.

Miss Parker turned around, “What’s going on?”


Jarod raised his hand to show the bracelet he’d just taken from his child.

Parker stared at him in astonishment, “Sydney bought that bracelet himself, Jarod, it was a gift for the baby.”


Jarod tried to avoid thinking about Sydney’s motives to buy the child a bracelet decorated with infinity symbols – *his* favorite symbol. Then he smirked, “Well, your other half thought of a far better present when he attached a nice gadget to it.”

“What?”


“A GPS locator.”

Parker’s head moved slowly at Lyle’s direction. She glared at him in hatred.


“Miss Parker. I swear to you, I didn’t.” He gasped.

Jarod was in hysterics, “Lyle, you’re disgusting.”


“I don’t give a damn what you think, Jarod, I didn’t put the tracer on that bracelet! It took me two hours to find the perfect moment to take the baby and come to the meeting, I wouldn’t have wasted my time like this! If I’d really wanted to screw you I would have come here with a team of sweepers in the first place!”

Jarod looked at Parker. Her expression made him realize that she was thinking what he was thinking. Incredibly, Lyle was telling the truth.


“You think Raines knows about this?”

Jarod shook his head in response, “I don’t know. Are you sure you weren’t followed?” he asked Lyle. The man shrugged, a questioning look appearing on his face.


He didn’t have time to answer because a creaking sound came from the end of the road as two cars turned at high speed to enter the street.

 

As soon as he heard the sound, the Major exclaimed, “Oh no...”

“What’s going on?” Margaret asked her husband.


“Trouble.”

The Major stood up, willing to approach Jarod, but a glare of his son made him change his mind.


“We must leave, Dave...”

“I won’t leave without Jarod! I lost him three times already, I won’t lose him again!”


When another black sedan with a Centre numberplate stopped right next to Lyle’s one, Jarod started to panic, but Miss Parker was much more resolute. She stared at Lyle and whisper so that only her brother could hear her, “I want my answer, Lyle. If you want to save your sorry ass, I want your word that you will help me to get Ethan’s corpse.”

Car doors opened all around them as four sweepers and Mr. Raines got out of the vehicle. Parker noticed the smirk on her father’s face: She’d never seen him so satisfied before.


“It seems I killed three birds with one stone. Good job, Lyle.”

“You’ve been following me?” Lyle asked him. He looked disappointed, almost offended.


“You should know that there’s always somebody watching at the Centre. But I must  admit that your independent act brought us to Miss Parker...and Jarod. I should thank you for that, son.”

Lyle grimaced, glaring at Raines. Jarod felt the soft bundle in his arms starting to move so he looked down to see the child opening his eyes. The baby yawned, looking carefully at the man above him, smiling as he saw his father for the very first time. Jarod managed to smile in answer. “Hello, Little Monkey”, he murmured to his child.


“Hi, daddy.” He answered.

Parker didn’t want Raines to see her cry, but she couldn’t help it. That was the first time their son was with both of them, and they were about to lose him again. The Centre had found them, there was nothing else they could do. Jarod lifted the baby so that the boy could watch around him; his eyes immediately fell on Mr. Raines.


“Take the kid!”

As two sweepers moved past the bald man, Miss Parker put herself in the middle and aimed her gun against them, “On my dead body.”


It wasn’t a threat, it was just an affirmation.

 

Lyle didn’t know what to do, this wasn’t what he had been expecting that morning when he’d released the boy from the Centre clutches ready to head to Maine for the appointment.

A million thoughts crossed Lyle’s mind in the next thirty seconds.


He remembered ruefully his own childhood, spent far from his biological parents and sister.

He thought about Jarod’s youth, growing up as a prisoner, caged at the Centre.


He thought about Miss Parker’s life at the Centre. Living in the memory of her dead mother, without even knowing the truth about Catherine’s homicide.

He pondered the results of Raines’ experiments that had caused Angelo’s actual state of empathy but also the traumatic loss of his mind.


And then, he finally stared at his nephew, still safe in the arms of the ever-running-pretender.

For the first time in his life, Lyle felt that, no, it wasn’t fair.


What was going to happen wasn’t anything but fair.

The kid turned his head to look at him, with a worried expression on his face.


“Uncle.” He whispered.

If it was for the word pronounced by the boy or for the look of terror in his sister’s eyes, Lyle would never know.


He simply made a step forward stating, “Miss Parker, for what it’s worth…You have my word.”

Parker looked back at Lyle in disbelief, opening her mouth as Lyle nodded in silent agreement.


Then she glanced at Jarod, who didn't need words to understand her.

“You know what, Raines? I have no intention to let you put your filthy hands on my baby anymore.” Jarod said. Then he waited a couple of seconds and raised his voice, “A father has to protect his son, for better or for worse.”


Still hidden behind the bush, Major Charles heard Jarod’s last statement and held the rifle even more firmly in his arms.

“Stay back, Maggie. I don’t think you’re going to like this...” he warned his wife.



“When are you going to realize it, Jarod? You belong to the Centre. There’s nothing you can do about it. There’s nowhere else to run. And you...” Raines looked at Miss Parker, “I can’t believe you betrayed your own family – for him.”

“Sorry, daddy. I guess bloodlines ain’t as strong as they used to be.”


“Oh, I don’t know, Miss Parker”, Jarod stated, “It depends on which father.”

Raines' smirk changed into a grimace of surprise and incomprehension as Jarod raised his right arm to give the signal his father was waiting for.


“Now!” Jarod screamed.

The Major started to shoot at the Centre sweepers, trying to aim at their arms and legs. He didn’t want to kill, but he was ready to do it, should it become necessary.


Two sweepers fell on the ground, hurt, the other two ran to retreat behind the trees at the other side of the street.

Raines didn’t move and took out his own gun, willing to shoot at Jarod to stop his escape at any rate. Lyle noticed his movement and anticipated Raines, stealing the gun from his hand and pointing it at Miss Parker’s nape. He dragged his sister against his chest and shouted, “No way to go, Jarod. Not if you want her to live another day!”


Major Charles kept shooting against the sweepers, preventing the enemies to come closer to the group beside the cars. He was doing what Jarod had ordered him to a few hours ago. He had to keep the sweepers far from the baby, no matter what happened to him or Miss Parker.

 

Parker clenched her teeth and cursed herself for even thinking of trusting Lyle. But her brother’s intention wasn’t to kill her. She felt his mouth next to her hear whispering, “You have to hit me, now. Take the gun and shoot me, it’s your way out.”

“Why should I trust you?” she hissed back at him.

“You have no other choice, Sis.”

Parker squeezed her eyes.


“Lyle, you son of a bitch, let her go!” Jarod shouted.

“Sorry, genius, but your little honeymoon is over. Maybe you can have adjoining cells at the Centre!”


This was all Parker needed to follow Lyle’s advice. She hit him as hard as she could where she knew it would hurt more – the leg Jarod had shot a few days before – and she felt her brother falling to the ground behind her, screaming in pain. Raines’ thought of triumph disappeared as he saw his daughter aiming his own gun against his chest. At the same time he heard the scream of pain of another sweeper shot by Jarod’s mysterious ally.

The pretender sighed in relief and moved fast to put his son in the child seat in Lyle’s car.


“You’re never gonna make it. I’ll find you again. I won’t give up on that child, I created him! He’s not yours!”

At these words, Miss Parker was brought back to another place and time.


She remembered her father coming to visit her to the hospital after being shot. Even if he’d sounded scared and a bit psychotic, Mr. Parker had seemed very serious and lucid when he had spoken about Shaw’s quote.

“Who was that, uh, playwright with the white beard? Your mother used to read him all the time-with all that punctuation...”


Painful and tired, Miss Parker had answered him by asking, “Shaw?

“Yeah, well, whatever. Listen, there’s a quote I want you to remember. ‘A family is a tyranny ruled over by its weakest member’. Its weakest member. Don’t forget that.”


Parker hadn’t understood what her father meant, by then. But she remembered very well the image of the ultrasound Mr. Parker had showed her a few months later, when they had secretly met inside that rickety vehicle at the junkyard. He’d tried to hide the envelope containing information about the baby.

“‘Baby Parker’. Wh-What was that?” she’d asked him.


“Oh, it’s nothing.”

“It looked like a medical record.”


“It’s ancient history.”

“It is mine, or Lyle’s?”


“It doesn’t matter! Trust me. Some day, when I have more time, I’ll explain everything to you.”

But he never had. He’d died after jumping from that plane, taking with him all the secrets Catherine kept talking about during her visions.


Looking at the child, Miss Parker also remembered her father’s words about him.

“I do know...this...is the only thing that really matters. It’s the future of our family. It’s the heir to the Parker name, and it’s growing inside Brigitte. The baby’ll be here soon.”


“What else can I do?”

“Well, the key is still Jarod. Bring him back, and it’ll be just like it was.”


Parker swallowed hard, trying to forget that she’d been following her father’s rules for too long. But that *was* ancient history.

So she made a step towards Raines.


“Maybe you are right...That baby is not mine...” she answered her biological father. “But actually, I wasn’t yours either.”

Lyle was recovering but didn’t move from his laying position. He needed to corroborate appearances and make Raines believe that he was too hurt to move.


“All you can give that boy is a life on the run from the boogeyman. You are ready to leave the Centre behind? The only life you’ve ever known?”

Jarod moved closer to Parker, panting and willing to run away ASAP.


Parker was furious, “I was doing it once, remember? You decided to kill Thomas Gates just to make me stay! I won’t let that happen again. The only life worth living is with the lab rat who ran away from your clutches a long time ago.”

Jarod grinned in satisfaction.


“And if you don’t agree with that, well...I assume I will have to walk out sooner than expected.”

Raines’ look of terror was the last expression they saw on the old man’s face. Parker hit him with the gun and knocked him out. Then she grinned, too, “Consider this my letter of resignation.”


“Let’s go, Parker...” Jarod whispered.

 

The Major looked at his son and future daughter-in-law standing together in front of Mr. Raines. He smiled when he saw Miss Parker hit him, then looked back at Margaret, “Our job here is over. Let’s go to the rendezvous point.”

Margaret chuckled in relief and took her husband’s hand in hers. They still had a long journey in front of them, but they were finally facing it together. And she was looking forward to meet her daughter Emily and Jeremy.


“Parker!” Lyle called his sister, finally standing up. The last survived sweeper was running towards them now that the gun fire had stopped.

“We have to go, Parker, please!” Jarod admonished her. She nodded at him, walking backwards, still looking at her brother.


“It’s not over yet, Lyle. I’ll be in touch.”

Lyle stared at the car as it disappeared from view.


“Count on it, Sis...” he murmured to himself.

 


The last sweeper reached him, screaming in exasperation. He couldn’t believe the pretender had run away, again.

Lyle smirked, “Call the cleaners, we have a lot to do.”

“What about the others?” he asked his boss.


Lyle’s look was glacial, “You know what to do. I don’t want witnesses.”

“Yes, sir.” The man replied, suddenly happy that he wasn’t wounded as his colleagues.


Lyle had never felt more proud of himself.

His life wouldn’t be easy without Jarod a the Centre, and he surely needed to find a damned good explanation for his weird behavior. But if he played it well, Raines would appear as the real failure in a perfect plan. Yes, he would explain the Triumvirate that he’d pretended to make a deal with his sister only to find her and bring her back to the Centre with Jarod. Then Raines had decided to show up to ruin what he’d so carefully planned.


To avoid Raines to get in his way again, he needed to subtly advice the Triumvirate to shift the decision-making authority from Raines to himself. Because Raines was getting older and his physical condition wasn’t helpful when it came to run after the two smartest of the Red Files. Raines wouldn’t be happy, sure, but if he threatened daddy dearest to put a bullet in his oxygen tank, maybe the old man would follow his lead. And then he would become the real chairman of the Centre and take Mr. Parker’s place, as he’d always wished.

And without Miss Parker to spoil the party, everything would be just great.


So, what was it that she wanted? Oh, yes. Ethan’s corpse.

And he knew exactly where to find it. As soon as Raines came to his senses, of course.