Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:

Lyle. Again.

You thought we'd got rid of him?

You were wrong.


TODAY

Lyle entered his office whistling and sitting immediately on his chair. He glanced at the calendar on his desk and eventually realized that ten years had passed since his life had changed.   

He had to admit that his sister’s disappearance had only improved his personal and working environment. The Triumvirate was unaware of his participation to the escape of Miss Parker and her son, let alone of his effort to sidetrack any attempt to find a clue that could lead to her, or Jarod.

Even if Lyle had always known that his life was almot perfect, a couple of years before he’d eventually started to notice that he was completely – and inexorably – alone. Of course, he enjoyed the company of many women. He didn’t need to pay for sleeping with them. They were always fascinated by his charm and his position – and his bank account. Most of them were ready to go out with him just to try and have their chance with the most wanted bachelor of Blue Cove. None of them lasted more than one night. Lyle didn’t want a stable relationship, he couldn’t afford the idea of a woman coming into his life. Rationally, he knew that this was probably due to the fact that he’d never known his real mother.

When thoughts like these came to his mind, he always found himself trying to remember something – anything, about Catherine.

At times like these, he missed Miss Parker. She’d always been a thorn in his side, but she was the only one worth quarreling with. Sometimes he even missed Sydney’s psychological judgments and Broots’ stupid statements.

Whenever he felt this kind of crap arriving to haunt him, he usually drove to town, entered some filthy bar and picked up the first unfortunate girl willing to go out with him. He usually took the unlucky woman to his apartment, then he tightened her to the bed and did whatever he wanted to satisfy his needs. Women never complained, because Lyle could be a very passionate lover, someone who could go on all night long.

But he’d lost the bad habit of torturing them. He wanted to believe it was not to make the police suspicious, but the truth was he had lost his former passion for sadism. After that night in the warehouse with Parker and Jarod, he hadn’t hit or killed another human being, ever. He’d also been to church, once.

And after Raines’ death, he’d found out he was the last survivor. No more Brigitte or Mr. Parker to support, no more Raines to comply to. And no more Miss Parker or Jarod to look for.

His life had gotten meaningless.  


Until he had met Chuntao.

He was attending the annual celebration of Mr. Parker’s disappearance. It had been Raines’ idea to create an event to commemorate his brother’s premature death.

Lyle didn’t know if Raines was trying to make up for his past by remembering Mr. Parker, but he had to admit that this event usually turned into a very nice evening that he could spend with the richest and most powerful benefactors of the Centre and their beautiful wives. Lyle never failed to steal one of them and bring her to his house, after the party.

But the year before, his attention had been caught by a wonderful Chinese woman who apparently was at the party on her own. When Lyle noticed that there was no husband at her side neither a wedding ring at her finger, he approached her to introduce himself.

“I don’t think we’ve met, Miss, I’m…”

“I know exactly who you are, Mr. Lyle.”

Lyle laughed, “I see my reputation precedes me. May I know who am I talking to?”

“My name is Chuntao. I work for the Chinese branch of the Centre, but I’d love to ask for a permanent transfer to United States.”

“Well, I think you’ve found the right man to talk to, Chuntao.”

The woman giggled and Lyle realized at once that was the sweetest sound he’d ever heard.

That evening they spoke for hours. Chuntao told him about the origin of her name, that meant ‘spring peach’. Lyle purred at her that he hoped he would have the chance to taste such a juicy fruit one day, and Chuntao started to laugh, not so sure that Lyle was actually joking. Chuntao told him about her family, she’d lost a sister when she was very young and her parents were both dead. She was born the same year of Lyle, who couldn’t believe that she was still so charming.

The woman kind of reminded him of his sister. She was strong and funny at the same time and she did love to make sarcastic jokes. She was the first person who told Lyle that he’d put on a few pounds and who lived enough to laugh about it.

The first night they spent together was the first time that Lyle felt satisfied and…happy.

He’d never felt like that before. He started to wonder if that was what love was about. And the day after, when Chuntao greeted him with a smile and a caress on his face, he realized that she had to be at his side forever. She had bewitched him like anyone else before.

Chuntao wasn’t a bit surprised when Lyle asked her to move in with him two months later, neither she was when he asked her to get married at the beginning of 2012. Their wedding was due to the 13th of April. Lyle chose that day because he wanted to remember it not only as the day of Catherine’s death (at least the presumed date of death), but also as the best day of his life. Chuntao was his soul mate, he was sure of that. The only thing he was sad about was the fact he didn’t know who would be his best man or who he would invite to the ceremony.

 

Lyle was thinking about this very problem when he suddenly realized he wasn’t alone in his office. He felt a presence behind him, but he was so sure that it was Chuntao that he turned his chair in a slow  motion, smiling at the foreign presence, “You know, I really have some work to do, Peachy.”

Lyle’s expression when his eyes met his sister’s was unfathomable.

“Well, I’m glad you eventually learned some good manners, Lyle.”

“Miss Parker? What the hell are you doing here?” he jumped from his chair and, unexpectedly, started to smile. Parker was caught by surprise when she noticed that Lyle’s joy seemed to be real.

“Well, I thought that after ten years you would be glad to see your dear old sister.”

“You may not believe it, but I really am, Parker. I’m just concerned about you, I can’t guarantee for your safety while you’re here. How did you get in, by the way?”

“Cut the family-reunion act, Lyle, I don’t give a damn! I’m not here to remember good old times.”

“Then why come? Did you find out about the wedding? I’m sorry I didn’t invite you, but I’ve never actually known how to reach you.”

Parker stared at her brother in disbelief. Her eyes fell on the framed picture on his desk. It was a photo portraying a Chinese woman. Miss Parker’s face assumed a very incredulous and sincerely surprised expression, “You are going to get married?” she asked him.

Lyle nodded in answer, “Her name’s Chuntao. We met a few months ago.”

“Let me guess, she’s going to be both the bride and the main course during the wedding feast?” she quipped.

Lyle smiled. His sister hadn’t changed a bit. She was still the same bitch she used to be ten years before. She had more wrinkles around her eyes and her hair was of a lighter color than he remembered, but Miss Parker was still there.

“So she is the one you were calling Peachy? That’s sweet. Does she still wear a retainer?”

“What was it that you wanted, Parker? Or should I call the sweepers?” Lyle answered, annoyed by his sister’s stupid jokes about his wife-to-be.

“A man has been following me for a while. I want to know who he is and why you sent him.”

“I’m sorry, Sis, but if he was my man, your lovely husband would already be back at the Centre, by now. Speaking of which, how’s good-old-buddy Jarod? Still helping the little guy?”

“He’s – not – my husband! And this is none of your damn business! If I came here is just to find out who’s tailing us. This man knows where I live, he knows my movements, he even knows where my kids go to school.”

“Kids?” Lyle questioned her. Parker shut up at once, realizing immediately that she’d made a huge mistake.

“So, you and Jarod had another child? A son made in the old fashioned way?”

“Actually it’s a daughter”, Parker didn’t even know why she was telling him, “and I want to know everything about that man, Lyle. You owe us.”

“I don’t owe you anything, Parker. You had you freedom all these years, didn’t you?”

Parker approached him threateningly, “I won’t jeopardize my children’s safety for yours, Lyle.”

Lyle sighed, “Ok, I’ll need some pictures of this man.”

Miss Parker took some photos from the pocket of her jacket, as if she’d read Lyle’s mind. Her brother snorted. “And I’ll need some time.”

“I can accept that.”

Parker knew it was almost time to leave.

“By the way, I know everything about Jarod’s surveillance tapes.”

“Meaning?”

“I know that he’s controlling me. And I assume he never told you about it, or you would have come here sooner.”

Parker lowered her eyes. She was still angry with Jarod for keeping this little detail from her. It still felt like a betrayal. Like a lie.

“Oh, is that resentment that I see on your face, Miss Parker?”

“Stop calling me that! I’m Mrs Miller, for you. I’ve forgotten that name a long time ago.”

“As you wish, Sis. Anyway, why do you think Jarod didn’t tell you about my wedding?”

Parker had no answer to that question.

“Maybe he thought you would like to come?”

Lyle’s grin made Parker want to vomit. She took the gun from the holster hidden behind her back, then she asked her brother to sit so that she could go away.

“Parker…” He called her before she exited the room.

“What?” she replied pointedly.

“You’re all the family I’ve left. For what it’s worth, I’m going to find out if that man is a threaten to you or your children.”

Parker stared at him in silence for a few seconds. Then she exited, answering, “I’ll be in touch.”

Lyle smiled as his sister disappeared again from his view.




Chapter End Notes:

Mmm...Honest or not?

As we say in Italy, "Posterity will judge".

Let me know what you think ;)