Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

(Although, Craig and Steve do follow and chat with me on Twitter)

Many thanks go to my bestie and my wombmate (sister) for looking this over for me. I'm nervous as all get out to submit this; knowing that Craig and Steve are going to be judging it. 

Fixed the word count, I didn't notice it until today 12/11/13



Snow drifted down from the clouds, covering Blue Cove in a crisp, white blanket. Miss Parker was miserable; albeit, not an unusual feeling for her due to working at The Centre for so many years.


Since being trapped with Jarod on Carthis, snow held a feeling of melancholy. It served as a cruel reminder of a path she chose not to follow; creating her path of current hell.

She turned from her office window, chastising herself for indulging in the dark thoughts as Sydney entered the room. She noticed that in his hands, he held a small wrapped box.

"That better be for you," she snapped, knowing that it wasn't.

The Psychiatrist smiled simply, unswayed by her snark. "It's Christmas Eve, Miss Parker," he drawled, "You should be home instead of in this dreadful place."

Parker sighed, "Since my father...passed, I haven't been in much of the Christmas spirit, Syd." 

He gave a small hum in response and moved around her desk. He placed the box in her hands and curled his hand around her shoulder, squeezing gently.

"Still, Parker; anywhere is better than The Centre on Christmas; trust an old man on this." He gave her shoulder another light squeeze before turning away and heading away from her desk.

The woman stared at the box for a moment, with its bright shiny blue paper and sparkly red bow and sighed.

"Sydney, wait." She called out to him, her voice resigned and tinged with sudden urgency.

He paused, turning back to face her, an eyebrow arched in question. Miss Parker placed her gift down on her desk and rummaged through her drawers until she found the small gift she had bought for him on a whim months before. It was wrapped in simple green wrapping paper with a red ribbon design. 

She walked to him and handed him the gift unceremoniously. Sydney beamed at her and chuckled. It was a smooth, happy sound that took her right back to her childhood; it hit her with a sudden blow that he, along with Broots, were the only family she had left.

He surprised her by placing a quick, gentle kiss on her cheek, "Merry Christmas, Miss Parker."

"Merry Christmas, Sydney."

After Sydney left, Miss Parker took his advice and went home, navigating with little difficulty through the snow as it began to fall heavier upon the roads. She made her way inside. Shoving her keys in her pocket, she looked up and was frozen in place at the sight that greeted her, too shocked to even pull her weapon.

Her entire house was decorated with Christmas decorations that were not there when she left the house that morning. White and multicolor strands of lights shimmered and glimmered as far as the eye could see, disappearing up the banisher to the second floor.

A Christmas tree stood proudly in the corner of her living room, decorated to the nines with lights, gaudy but tasteful ornaments and ribbons she had never seen before. She closed her eyes and inhaled, drawing in the scent of the fresh pine. 

At first glance, she knew that this was Jarod’s handiwork as he was the only one brazen enough to break into her house just to decorate with such enthusiasm. She toed off her stiletto boots and shrugged out of her thick coat, hanging it up in the small coat closet.

Miss Parker walked into her personal Christmas wonderland and carefully examined the details that Jarod had put into it. She tried to feel something; anything other than the misery that clung to her chest like an anchor but even the beauty of the lights and decorations couldn’t rouse her spirit. If anything, it only made the ache more pronounced.

She went to her liquor cabinet and pulled out a bottle of Maker’s Mark and a glass tumbler. She poured a generous two fingers worth and returned the bottle, closing the cabinet doors behind her.

When she turned, she jumped slightly when she saw Jarod, standing behind her, holding a tray with two steaming mugs and a plate full of various cookies.

“You would still be here,” she grumbled, resisting the urge to roll her eyes.

He lifted the tray, “I bet this tastes better than bourbon.”

Miss Parker allowed a small smile on her lips, “Doubtful.” She replied, taking a long drink from the glass as Jarod moved into the living room and placed the tray on the coffee table.

She raised an eyebrow as he sat down and made himself comfortable.

“If you were going to shoot me, you would have done it already,” he explained with a shrug, “Though, after Carthis, I would hope those days are behind us.”

“I’m not so sure of that, Wonderboy,” she murmured.

Jarod sighed and turned his attention to the mugs of steaming hot chocolate. He dropped a large marshmallow and tucked in a red and white striped candy cane in both mugs. Parker crossed the room and sat down beside him, setting the glass down on the table.

“Why are you here, Jarod?” She asked, “Why aren’t you with your family?”

“I’ll have plenty of Christmases with them,” His dark eyes met hers and the familiar intensity made her heart involuntarily speed up, remembering the last time they were in an intimate situation in from of the fire at Ocee’s cabin.

She followed his gaze as it broke from hers and traveled up to the ceiling. A smirk crossed her lips as she saw a small sprig of mistletoe hanging above them. Jarod gave her a smile as their gazes met and he leaned over, closing the space between them. The kiss was slow, sweet, and filled with promise. Promises that Parker longed to keep but knew she couldn’t. So she enjoyed the kiss, smiling softly as they broke apart.

“Merry Christmas, Michaelina,” Jarod murmured, using her real name for the first time in years.

“Merry Christmas, Jarod.” She replied and leaned in, kissing him again.

 





Chapter End Notes:

Author's Note: Michaelina has, and always will be, my headcanon first name for Miss Parker until we learn her actual name.