Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

BLUE COVE
05/08/1999

When Jarod heard the news and saw Miss Parker on the tv screen, he couldn't believe his eyes. Silent tears came streaming down his face when he realized that Thomas Gates, one of his best friends, the man he had been talking to just a few hours ago, had died.

He felt sad, angry, and desperate.

The first idea that came to his mind was to leave for Blue Cove, wait for Lyle to show up in the garage and kill him with his bare hands. He was sure Lyle had something to do with it.

And yet, he knew that revenge wouldn't help.

Tommy was dead and he needed to keep his wits about him.

He needed to keep his pretender-mode on and try to get through that dirty story on his own.

But what would Miss Parker do?

He could just imagine how difficult this would be for her. Her lover, her partner, the man she was going to build a life with. They'd taken him away from her.

Her father had made her believe they were going to let her go, that she had their blessing. Another lie. Another squalid lie.

Jarod was sure: The Centre was behind Thomas's death. And he would find out how and why.

All Tommy's executioners' faces came to his mind. Mr. Parker was probably the one who had given the order. But how could he prove it? And who was the material author of the crime? Lyle? Raines? Willie the sweeper? Sam? Or maybe Brigitte?

It didn't matter anymore. He just wanted to find the truth. He needed to find the truth.

Because he felt responsible. He had been the one to involve Thomas in their world. It was all his fault. If Tommy hadn't been involved with him in the first place, he would still be alive.

Jarod cried lonely tears; he just couldn't stop.

'Tommy is dead'.

Then it occurred to him. He had something to do. The very first thing to do.

He wiped the tears from his face and took his cell phone. He was going to do what, just a few hours before, he had promised himself he wouldn't do anymore.


Miss Parker's phone rang, and she answered after a few seconds. Her voice sounded sad and empty.

"Hello."

"I saw the news report about Thomas. Are you okay?"

'What a stupid question!', he thought. 'Of course she's not okay!'

"It's too soon to tell."

"They said it was an unsolved homicide. Do the police have any suspects?"

Knowing the authorities as Jarod did, he was already sure of the answer.

"One, if you include me."

'Crime of passion'. The first idea that always comes to every detective's mind.

"You must be close if you saw the local report on television."
Jarod felt his heart beating again. Then, his Parker was still there. He'd been afraid she would let herself go, seeing that Thomas wasn't at her side anymore.

But she was a fighter. She would never give up on him.

"Always the hunter, Miss Parker."

He hated himself. All he wanted to say to her was how much he cared about Thomas, about her. He was almost telling her the truth, but she wasn't ready. He needed to help without telling her of his secret friendship with Thomas. 'One thing at a time.'

"I – barely have enough energy to sleep, let alone chase you around. I appreciate the call Jarod, but if you don't mind, I have a lot to think about."

Parker needed a life preserver, something to help her not sink. Jarod would give her that.

He would help her find out who had murdered Thomas, by using his annoying incomplete clues, his stupid hints, his nonsense messages.

Parker would hate him, as she had always done. And this would help her to go on and find a new reason to survive. By hating him, she would gain new strength.

So, Jarod got back to his old habit. He had to guide her towards the truth, one step at a time.

"Like finding out who did this. You might want to take a closer look at the people around you."

"And what exactly am I looking for?"

Miss Parker was almost grumbling, but Jarod didn't care. He knew she was listening, as she always did when it came to him. While holding a piece of glass, he remembered Thomas's words about their relationship.

"It's like you were two…pieces of the same puzzle."

Jarod knew what he had to do. And he also knew what he had to say.

"Missing pieces, Miss Parker. Missing pieces."





Chapter End Notes:

And we all know what happens next.
Thanks for reading. Reviews would be very appreciated!