Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

BLUE COVE
05/07/1999

Thomas knew Parker was going to talk with her father. He wanted her to make the man understand she needed to leave, that she wanted to leave. He couldn't imagine her father's authority over her, he still believed she could convince him to let her go.

So, when he received Mr. Parker's visit, he realized how wrong he had been. He knew this man would be a tough opponent. It was a father who wanted to mark his place in the world. And he also wanted to put Thomas in his own place.

Tommy was trying to act civilly, but when Mr. Parker gave him that blank cheque, he couldn't bear anything else.

"Fill in any amount you want, we shake hands, get on with our lives. All of us."

"I love your daughter, Mr Parker. No amount of money in the world could ever change that."

He was proud. Even if he knew this was like signing an act of war against the Parkers. He didn't care at all. Everything he wanted was to live with Parker, to love her and be loved by her.

He didn't like this man, at all, he couldn't believe that a lovely creature like Miss Parker had come from such an evil person. She probably was her mother's daughter.

And yet, he didn't tell Parker anything when she came back home.

He didn't want her to get worried or begin a fight with her father. He knew they had to handle this situation in the kindest way, he didn't want Parker to leave without her father's blessing, or she would regret this for the rest of her life.

And Tommy wanted their life together to be filled of happiness and love, not resentment and remorse.

That night, Parker was sure her father and brother would never let her go.

Tommy couldn't understand. She was a grown woman; she could make her own decisions. And yet, they seemed to have a power over her. Like they were controlling her life, everything she did.

"It's not that simple". She explained to him.

And once again her words reminded him of a conversation with Jarod. The first they had about her.

"Who is she? Your girlfriend?"

"It's complicated."

Thomas wondered if, for the rest of his life, he would be reminded of Jarod's words whenever Miss Parker said something about her family, her job, her feelings, or her past.

Then they heard the bell ring and they found Mr. Parker and his son at the door. Parker had never been more scared and surprised in her whole life.

Mr. Parker's words were very careful. It seemed like a script he had been studying all day long.

When Thomas heard him saying that he had been selfish, he almost fainted in astonishment. That man certainly had the nerve.

"The, uhm, Yakuza have a saying that love and fear fly to heaven on the same wing, which means the things we do because we love somebody are also the things we do because we're afraid. Like when Dad tried to pay Thomas to go away."

Thomas felt like he could kill his girlfriend's brother, right then. She was not supposed to know that. He didn't want her to worry about her father's attitude. And he didn't want her to think he was hiding something from her.

Except for the fact he knew Jarod, of course.

"What? Why didn't tell me that?"

"Because it wasn't a big deal. He just.. – he made an error in judgment, that's all."

And after a list of well-prepared apologies, her father finally said the magic words.

"If you think that leaving is the best for you then, um, go with my blessing."

Parker couldn't believe his words, and neither did Thomas. He was sure Mr. Parker was kidding. Even when he heard him saying, "I just want you to be happy, that's all I've ever wanted."

Thomas saw the door closing behind the two weirdest men he'd ever met, he felt relieved and relaxed. That was the happiest moment in his entire life.

"Well congratulations, Parker. It looks like you're finally in control of your own life."

"Yeah."

"How does it feel?"

"Confusing."

Thomas wasn't ready for what was going to happen. The only thing he knew was that he loved Parker and that their life together could begin, eventually.

And he owed Jarod.

'If it wasn't for him', he thought.


Once again, when Parker fell asleep, Thomas took the phone and called his friend.

When Jarod saw the incoming call, even without reading the id caller he knew it was Thomas.

He wanted to hear good news, and yet he was afraid at the same time. He knew that, should Tommy tell him that they were leaving, Miss Parker would finally disappear from his life. For good.

And even if he was trying to accept this prospective, Jarod wasn't ready, at all.

But it was the right thing to do. He knew he still needed her, he still cared about her. And that was the same reason he had to let her go.

"Hey buddy, why the late call?"

"Jarod, we did it. We're leaving in a couple of days."

Jarod swallowed hard, like he had no more fluids in his mouth. So, that was the end.

"What about Mr. Parker?"

"The old man finally came to his senses. He gave his blessing. I've never seen her so happy and scared at the same time."

Jarod obviously knew the reason, but he couldn't tell Tommy. The Centre was one of the most dangerous places to deal with. Mr. Parker's blessing meant that his daughter would be able to leave without fearing repercussions or being chased. It looked like she was finally free.

"She will be scared and confused for a very long time, Thomas. You must be ready to accept her attitude. If I know her well –"

"You do. Much more than I do." Thomas interrupted Jarod, he wanted to confess his uncomfortable fears to his friend.

"Don't blame yourself, buddy. You've been a glimpse of a light in her life. Her flame had died, and she's been searching for someone to rekindle that fire for years. And finally, she found you."

Jarod realized what he had just said; He was quoting his own book, the novel he had written for Miss Parker as a Valentine's Day gift.

Back then, he had been sure they would end up together, eventually. Sure that they would find each other again, some day.

And yet, here they were.

Thomas was the man at her side, the one that would make her happy. Not the pretender, her childhood friend. And she would never know that Jarod had been the one behind this.

She couldn't find out.

"I'm afraid Jarod. I can't lose her."

"You won't."

"What about you? Will you be okay?"

Jarod smiled that sappy smile of his, "I'll be just fine. Life goes on."

"Yeah. You know what, Jar?"

Tommy waited a couple of seconds.

"I'm so glad I've met you. You changed my life. And you lead me to Parker. I will never thank you enough for that."

"Just – " Jarod hesitated for a moment. "Just make her happy. And remember, never tell her about me, ok?"

"I swear, Jarod. But it's wrong. She deserves to know the truth. She deserves to know what a good friend you've been to her, you should have told her…your feelings."

"What feelings?"

"I know you love her, Jarod."

Jarod's heartbeat accelerated slightly.

"I know you let her go because you think she hates you, but you know what? I think she doesn't hate you, at all. She doesn't have it in her heart."

"Or her eyes…" Jarod whispered.

Hadn't he told the very same things to Broots, once?

Thomas was right. He did love her. He couldn't live without her, or with her.

"Are you sure that's how you want things to be left between you two?"

Jarod chuckled, "Well, if I weren't, I'd be a perfect idiot, wouldn't I?"

Thomas burst into laughter and so did Jarod.

"Am I going to see you again?" his friend asked him.

Jarod could hear expectation and sadness in his voice. And he knew this was the last time he was talking to his buddy.

"Perhaps, one day. 'Till then, I want you to promise me something."

"Anything."

"Miss Parker won't have to cry anymore. Ever."

Thomas frowned.

"Are tears of joy allowed?"

Jarod laughed together with Tommy, "Deal."

"Goodbye, Jar. I wish you all the joy you gave to me."

Jarod sighed.

"Bye, Tommy. Take care of yourselves."

"We will."

The last thing Tommy heard after hanging up, was a dull sound coming from the porch. He glanced at his bedroom, where Parker was sleeping peacefully, and then he exited the house, to see what was going on outside.